PDA

View Full Version : New Age Paladin

JasonDoomsblade
2008-01-11, 06:29 PM
I am not a player of D&D. Although I do have a D&D game for the PSP, I doubt its completely similar to the real thing. Anyway I've put together this class of something I thought of on the bus. So without further adue, here is my homebrew.

New Age Paladin
The New Age Paladin Order is made up of young men and women, who have decided to become Paladins. These warriors; while Law Abiding, do not fully grasp it as much as a regular Paladin. They consist of Law and Good; but never both. This way a New Age Paladin is righteous but not overzealous and uptight.

Class Prerequisites: No levels of Paladin.

Alignment: Law or Good, but not both.

Proficiencies: New Age Paladins begin with the following Proficiencies:
Long and Shortswords
Light, Medium, and Heavy Armor
All Shields

Base Derived Stats:
Speed: 30 Feet (6 Squares)
Initiative: +1
Fort. Save: +4
Ref. Save: +3
Will Save: +2
Attack Bonus: +5
Spell Resistance: None

Feats
Weapon Focus: At 3rd Level, A New Age Paladin gains a certain Weapon Focus ability, depending on thier race. Each Weapon Focus gives a +2 to Attack Rolls with the particular weapon. This bonus increases by +1 for every 4 New Age Paladin levels after the 3rd.
Human: Long Sword
Dwarf: Urgosh
Elf: Rapier
Gnome: Shortspear
Halfling: Dagger
Half Elf: Shortsword
Half Orc: Double Axe

Special Abilities
Blind Fight: At 3rd Level, if a New Age Paladin misses an attack because of Armor Class, he/she can reroll their attack once. This ability increases at 10th Level and 17th Level giving the New Age Paladin 2 more chances to reroll.

Cleave: At 4th Level when a New Age Paladin kills an enemy, he/she can make another attack on an enemy that is attacking them. The enemy must be next to the Paladin to work. This ability increases every 4 New Age Paladin levels thereafter, by one extra attack.

Diehard: If a New Age Paladin is reduced between -1 and -9 Hp, they will become stabilized, and will not lose more Hp from bleeding. They will become disabled instead of dying. However, they still can be attacked and be reduced to -10 Hp and die.

Lay on Hands: A New Age Paladin can heal allies aswell as themselves, much like a regular Paladin can. If a New Age Paladin has a Charisma Modifier of +4, they can exchange a Lay on Hands for a Turn Undead, and Vice Versa.

Turn Undead: Turns an Undead Creature, causing them to be overwhelmed with fatigue and fear. Neutral Good and Chaotic Good New Age Paladins can overpower the creature causing it to dissolve. Lawful Evil and Lawful Neutral New Age Paladins can overpower the creature causing it to come to their side. If a New Age Paladin has a Charisma Modifier of +4, they can exchange a Turn Undead for a Lay on Hands, and Vice Versa.

Cleansing Aura: At 7th Level any ally within 10 feet (1 square) of the New Age Paladin will have immunity to all diseases. This effect will be removed if the ally steps away from him/her. At 14th Level the range increases to 20 feet (2 squares).

So what do you think? How'd I do? Did I miss anything? Comments? Questions?

Magnor Criol
2008-01-11, 07:03 PM
I don't care for the name - it makes me think that the warrior should be trying to oust enemies' bad feng shui and trying to focus their healing through oddly-colored crystals.

I don't like the "Law or good" requirement; it seems....well, silly. There's not really a point to it. None of the class ability flavorfully rely on that distinction. In fact, none of the abilities really feel like they need an alignment requirement of much at all. This really feels like it should be more thematically centered around the idea of a Fighter-with-divine-connections, rather than a Paladin-with-more-martial-prowess. T

hough the Lay On Hands, Turn Undead, and Cleansing Aura suggest good alignment, there doesn't seem to be any reason you couldn't just ditch the Paladin moniker altogether and say that alignment has to be simply "Good (any)". Or for that matter, word them similar to the Cleric's Turn Undead ability, and allow an equal-but-opposite effect for evil dudes who take this class.

Your mental image of someone taking this class may be a very paladinish character, but with what you've got written up abilitywise, that's hardly required. I'd say rename it, change the alignment restrictions, and let someone who wants to play this as a paladinlike character simply do that by stating that they're as such, rather than shoehorning it into the class.

Other than that, good work, as far as I can tell (though mechanical balance isn't my strong suit, so take that with a grain of salt.)

togapika
2008-01-11, 07:09 PM
Where to start
Classes are 20 levels
BAB doesn't exceed level, even for fighters
Starting speed is determined by race, not class
No listed Hit Dice or skill points
Why proficiency with only 2 weapons?
Why racial based weapon focus?

JasonDoomsblade
2008-01-11, 07:37 PM
Wow I really screwed up then. Bleh. This is what I get for not playing D&D. Kay, I gotta fix quite a few things.

Magnor Criol
2008-01-11, 11:24 PM
Huh, I saw the shorter list of abilities and assumed this was an untabled PrC of some sort. I also didn't read things at the start too closely, as you can tell, else I would have noticed those inconsistencies. Heh.

Don't worry, you didn't really screw up all that bad. The abilities and features of the class aren't ill-worded. You've basically just got the wrong format, that's all.

Check out Fax_Celestis' Guide to Homebrewing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313). It's very helpful for this sort of thing - it'll show you right quick how to fix it up. It'll also give you some good ideas on general guidelines on designing DnD classes.

Nebo_
2008-01-12, 12:31 AM
Building a class for a system that you don't know is not a great idea.