PDA

View Full Version : Taking "Persona" to tabletop.

tonberryking
2008-01-12, 03:48 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona_%28video_game%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona_2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona_3

A spin off of the Shin Megami Tensei series, Persona's a video game series that's basically summed up by the scenario of "teens/PCs in a dark atmospheric world learn to summon helpful spirits ( the Personas) that are tangible representations of their will power to fight other demons and monsters". It uses alot of the monsters from SMT but abandons the apocalyptic worldsetting in favor of a modern day one, and has more typical adventure RPG facets than the "monster trainer from hell" situation found in SMT but keeps up with darker moods and themes, as well as references to the Major Arcanum . found in the tarot deack.

However, if you're a GM, and you and your buddies want to have a Persona themed game to play once the current DnD venture is finished it may be harder than expected to accomodate.

I'm not asking for help to build a game system from square 1, but rather help comming up with an established rulebook that could best accomodate what I'm trying.

In Persona you have relatively normal human characters with the same limitations that level up to some degree but the real power comes from their Persona's physical manifestations. The initial idea I had was to combine the d20 modern system with basic Dungeons and Dragons, but that may be too sloppy.

Someone else suggested a WW game that starts with an E (but ain't exalted, some WoD varient) that may work and yet others still, who so far seemed to have the best idea suggested BESM d20 as most of my players are only familiar with d20 use and the point buy from the game would work.

And then some of my other friends were all saying not to, that BESM's books aren't very structured or too clustered.

So now I'm at a loss. Any experience with outside 2d0 systems, Persona, or anyone else who's open minded and can offer suggestions would be a big help before I start ordering books or looking for sources.

dyslexicfaser
2008-01-12, 04:30 PM
The Giant made a class that may be relevant to this: the Champion class could be adapted to Personas fairly easily, I would think.

The 'host' is basically a fairly weak fighter/paladin-ish guy, but he has an avatar that gains exp along with him, gets +1 stat per level and so outpaces the 'host' fairly quickly, has various abilities which you could tweak to better suit Personas...

tonberryking
2008-01-12, 05:46 PM
I hadn't thought about that; this may work and there's not really a problem tweaking the idea so instead of turning into the champion form, the champion/Persona appears near them or something.

geez3r
2008-01-12, 09:36 PM
Another option: Mutants and Masterminds 2E. Have their Persona's be a customized container (or if you prefer device, maybe even an alternate form). Enhance a few attributes, add a blast, some protection and a few status effects for flavor and you're in business.

And if you go the route of having mulitple Persona's have each one be a seperate container, each with their own attributes and abilities, which are added to the base "template" of their character (their character without persona's equiped).

You could even have equipment they find be devices of some sort.

tonberryking
2008-01-12, 09:53 PM
Minato Arisato (The offical name of P3's nameless hero) is, as far as I'm concerned, the only character who will ever be a multiple Persona user, outside of how P3 had personas 'evolve' thanks to character development and discovery when it comes to my Persona game.

Although is M&M on the 2nd edition currently or are there other newer ones? you may need to explain a little bit more to me how this works.

alpha1
2008-08-01, 11:06 AM
i really like the idea you have here maybe you could take the champion and removew the spell casting abilities (when the avatar is out or perhaps all together) and have it gain special abilities like natural weapons, DR, etc