PDA

View Full Version : Feats with Scaling Bonuses

souldoubt
2008-01-13, 06:20 PM
As we all know, one of the most annoying types of feats found in D&D 3.5 is the feat with a small, non-scaling bonus (i.e. a bonus that doesn't go up as you gain levels). Feats such as Dodge and Weapon Focus may prove mildly useful at 1st level, but that usefulness diminishes rapidly as your character gains power. So, in the interest of making such feats more useful at all levels, I have reworked some of them to make the bonuses scale.

I'm sure others have done something similar, but I thought I'd take a crack at it...

Revised Feats (in alphabetical order)

Dodge [General]
Prerequisite: Dex 13.
Benefit: During your action, you designate one opponent as your dodge opponent. Against that opponent, you recieve a dodge bonus equal to 1/5 of your character level +1. You can select a new opponent on any action.
A condition that would make you lose your Dexterity bonus to AC also causes you to lose your dodge bonuses. Also, dodge bonuses stack with each other, unlike other types of bonuses.

Greater Dodge [General]
Prerequisite: Dex 15, Dodge, character level 4th.
Benefit: Your dodge bonus from the dodge feat is now equal to 1/4 of your character level +1. You may split the bonus between two opponents.
A condition that would make you lose your Dexterity bonus to AC also causes you to lose your dodge bonuses. Also, dodge bonuses stack with each other, unlike other types of bonuses.

Greater Weapon Focus [General]
Choose one type of weapon for which you have already selected Weapon Focus (see below). You can also choose unarmed strike or grapple as your weapon for purposes of this feat.
Prerequisite: Proficiency with selected weapon, Weapon Focus with selected weapon, fighter level 4th.
Benefit: The bonus you gain on attack roles with the selected weapon increases to 1/4 of your character level +1.
Special: A character may take this feat multiple times. It's effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, you select a new type of weapon for it to apply to.
A fighter must have Greater Weapon Focus in order to take the Greater Weapon Specialization feat.
A fighter may select Greater Weapon focus as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Point Blank Shot [General]
Benefit: You get a bonus on attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons at ranges of up to 30 feet. This bonus is equal to 1/5 of your character level + 1.

Weapon Focus [General]
Choose one type of weapon. You can also choose unarmed strkie or grapple (or ray, if you are a spellcaster) as your weapon for purposes of this feat.
Prerequisite: Proficiency with selected weapon.
Benefit: You gain a bonus on all attack roles with the selected weapon. This bonus is equal to 1/5 of your character level +1.
Special: A character may take this feat multiple times. It's effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, you select a new type of weapon for it to apply to.
A fighter may select Greater Weapon focus as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Enjoy. :smallsmile: C&C is welcome, of course.

Goober4473
2008-01-13, 06:41 PM
I think these feats would be much more powerful than other feats, but I also think all feats should either provide a bonus that's always useful, or a bonus that gets better as you gain levels in order to remain useful. Taking a feat at level 20 should be as useful to the character as taking it at level 1.

Partysan
2008-01-14, 04:11 AM
Have a look at these. I love them.
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=809334