PDA

View Full Version : Kobolds on a Mission



Zimmia
2008-01-14, 09:38 PM
It's early summer. Much of the mud on the roads has dried, and the flowers are all in full bloom. The sun shines warmly during the day and it is pleasantly temperate at night.

You've traveled north for two days now, you're certain that you should hit the ruins themselves tomorrow. The village of Oakhurst, you've heard, is another day to the north. The road between the ruins and the city is disused, now refered to as the Old Road, with the New Road running east/west through the city.

You have just made camp, and it's time for dinner.

Mephe
2008-01-15, 01:27 AM
Xict-Rict sticks a single paw in his backpack, rummaging around for food. Finding none, he decides he needs the use of both paws to thouroughly examine his pack. It is not until his entire head is subsumed in the backpack that he realises: he did not pack enough food.
Flatfoot! What were you thinking, packing so little? Nevermind, I'll just have to go find something.
Stuffing the contents of the pack back in their proper place, Xict-Rict dons the pack, declaring, "I'm going to go find a river, with any luck we'll have fresh fish tonight." And with that, he sets off in to the adjoining woods, looking for any signs of a large body of water.

Survival Roll [roll0]

burntsolace
2008-01-15, 01:41 AM
Squat

Keeping to himself as he has for most of the trip Squat was seated away from the rest of group. His back was turned to the rest of the group, watching the road. In his hand he holds and over sized branch which he has been using to torment a chipmunk earlier in the day.

dyslexicfaser
2008-01-15, 01:48 AM
Esthir

Esthir sat as close to the fire as humanly (well, koboldly, anyway) possible without actually planting himself in the flames. He took a brief break from playing his pipes to wave goodbye to Xict-Rict before taking up his panflute again and resumed picking his way through a simple, cheery tune, interspersed with at least a few flat or off notes.

He wasn't actually very good, his instrument played with energy and enthusiasm rather than skill.

Perform: [roll0]

((EDIT: Huh. Maybe Esthir missed his calling as a bard, if he's gonna roll like that.))

MammonAzrael
2008-01-15, 02:04 AM
Stirex

"Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but fish sound quite tasty," Stirex says, a bit loudly. A ditherbomb went off on him just last week, and his ears were nearly recovered.

[roll=Survival]1d20[/roll/

Gah, botched the roll

MammonAzrael
2008-01-15, 02:07 AM
Stirex

[roll0]

He follows Xict into the forest in search of water and fish.

pingcode20
2008-01-15, 02:42 AM
Zairrex
"Good luck, Xict-Rict" calls Zairrex after his departing comrade, while he rummaged through his bag, looking for something.

"Crossbow Frame, Hammer, Cello, Pickaxe..." he muttered, taking out the mentioned items as he went. "Ah, wire!" he finally exclaimed, producing the spool of trip wire.

He'd found a nice comfy spot to relax in later, (he'd spent nights sleeping on the workshop's cold stone floor before, and a little dirt was nothing through) and he was in the process of tapping in a few pegs around the campsite and running tripwire around to a bell next to his ear.

He returned to his possessions, thinking aloud. "Why were the elders speaking in the language of the others? Do they mean to insult our heritage?" asks the trapsmith to nobody in particular, as he stuffs his things back in the bag, pausing at the Cello.

The alarm was ready anyway, and why not?

He sat down near Esthir on a rock, planting the point into the dirt, and begins playing along with his comrade.

[roll0]
[roll1]

EDIT: Er, yeah. He's actually got a Cello. He used to have an Oboe, but I changed it.

Zimmia
2008-01-15, 11:16 AM
There is a fairly fast moving river not far from where you stopped, it doesn't take long at all for Xict-Rict and Striex to find enough fish for the group.

DiscipleofBob
2008-01-15, 01:37 PM
Kekra also mostly kept to herself. She could've just as easily broken out some trail rations, but waited to see what Xict and Stirex would forage, and whether or not she could mooch off of them first. Otherwise, she took note of her many comrades for this journey to see who she could rely on. Mostly she just kept quiet and played the role of shy, easily impressed kobold girl, just so she would be underestimated for now.

Copacetic
2008-01-15, 05:03 PM
Jekran

Jekran does not say or do anything as his fellow party members unpack for the day. He simply lays down his backpack and sets up his bedroll near the roots of a tree. After doing that he goes off to hunt some Mushrooms and tubors for his own personnal food supply.

[roll0]

dyslexicfaser
2008-01-15, 05:09 PM
Esthir

When the two kobold hunters return, Esthir paused in his duet - flashing Zairrex a smile as he did; few enough kobolds were interested in music - and cheered aloud whimsically: "Fish! All hail the mighty hunters!"

His tongue flicked out in anticipation, and he tried to give the pair puppy dog eyes from behind the smoked lenses of the goggles he wore even at night, obviously pleading for a share of their bounty. For fish - of which he was very fond - he had no problem debasing himself a little.

Mephe
2008-01-15, 07:28 PM
Xict-Rict
"Lovely, Esthir. You convey the pride and honor of our Dragon ancestors so well, I'm tempted to give you a double share. Too bad there's not enough for that."
With that remark, Xict-Rict dropped the net, which was filled to the point where everyone could have seconds, on the dirt. He grabbed a stick off the ground, and skewered one of the bigger morsels on the branch. Holding it over the fire, Xict-Rict announced "Feel free to eat it however you like, but don't expect me to play cook every night," He said with the Kobold equivalent of a grin.

Zimmia
2008-01-15, 07:44 PM
Jekran easily finds some mushrooms and grubs, as well as a patch of early berries not very far from the camp site.

Copacetic
2008-01-15, 07:48 PM
((OOC: Tubors are the root of a plant, and are edible. Not worms. Just saying))

Jekran grabs some berries and the mushrooms, but leaves the grubs. Holdng them up to his nose, he tries to determine if they're poisonous.

1d20+3

Copacetic
2008-01-15, 07:51 PM
((OOC: Curses! I was foiled by the roller, and I don't even know what postroll count even means!))

[roll0]

dyslexicfaser
2008-01-15, 08:02 PM
Esthir

"Pride and honor, thats me," Esthir agreed happily before snagging a fish and a stick for himself. He held it out before him, facing away from the camp, and drew in a huge breath.

When he exhaled, flame erupted, charring the fish black in a handful of seconds.

Flame breath: [roll0]
Take that, fish!

He bit into his blackened fish with gusto, crunching happily.

Zimmia
2008-01-15, 08:05 PM
You're right of course, my bad. You find tubers in addition to the mushrooms and berries. The survival check you made counts as to them being safe to eat, although you're happy to roll the nature check as well.

Mephe
2008-01-15, 08:14 PM
"Oh, are we showing off now? Well then, allow me..."
Xict-Rict flicks the cooked fish up over his head. The food reaches its apex, and begins to plummet toward the dirt, only to be caught by what appears to be a scaly hound. Shifting back to a Kobold, Xict-Rict bites down on the fish and tears a chunk out of it.
"So, who's next?"

Copacetic
2008-01-15, 08:16 PM
Jekran

Jekran happily munches into one of the mushrooms, Before adding them into a pile of top of his bedroll. He then walks over to the fire and grabs a fish and begns cooking it with a stick.

DiscipleofBob
2008-01-15, 11:35 PM
Kekra smiles sweetly and grabs her fair share of the fish. "Thank you very much." she says sweetly in what a kobold would find to be an attractive voice, but once the showing off starts, she goes off towards the edge of camp, avoiding the macho displays.

pingcode20
2008-01-15, 11:40 PM
Zairrex
Zairrex laughs, putting down his Cello as the others play with the fish. Picking up a stick, he sharpens it to a point before impaling one of the fish on it.

"I would, comrade, but weight was at a premium and I haven't the bolts to spare."

Using a couple of sticks and a bit of twine, he props the fish up over the fire, using a largish stone tied to the other end as a counterweight, turning it every now and again with his foot.

Picking the Cello up again, he continues to play.

MammonAzrael
2008-01-16, 01:57 AM
Stirex

Stirex laughs at the displays, spitting several fish to roast over the campfire. "Well this should prove to be a fun outing!" He happily munches some fish before bedding down for the night. "I'll take last watch!"

pingcode20
2008-01-16, 02:09 AM
Zairrex
Zairrex looks up.

"I, at least, am always on watch." he says, simply. He hadn't forgotten that there was a tripwire running around the camp rigged to a bell.

burntsolace
2008-01-16, 03:25 AM
Squat

Once the excitement dies down he walks over to the remain few fish sitting now in the mud. He brings his club down on it's head reducing it to fish paste. He holds the club over the fire just long enough to cook it and then he goes back to sitting by himself picking squished fish off his club.

He also sits up for a while watching over the camp.

dyslexicfaser
2008-01-16, 07:28 PM
Esthir

Zairrex
Zairrex looks up.

"I, at least, am always on watch." he says, simply. He hadn't forgotten that there was a tripwire running around the camp rigged to a bell.

"Okay then," Esthir declares. "I'll leave this critical task in your capable hands." And he was most definitely not saying this just because he wanted a full night's sleep. That would be ridiculous. Esthir would have to be some kind of derelict, shiftless layabout to - oh, right. He is.

The Dragonfire Adept finds his bedroll and within moments is completely ensconced in its bright blue fabric. His voice drifts out of his cocoon of cloth: "The ruins are nearby, right? We ought to come up with some kind of plan before we get there. I don't much like the thought of trying to fight our way through an entire tribe of goblins."

Within moments he is asleep, seemingly without a care in the world.

pingcode20
2008-01-16, 08:45 PM
Zairrex
"Come, Comrade Esthir. There are enough of us to do 4 two hour shifts, and I do not believe any of the sorcerors have expended their magic - we can have two people awake and still all get six hours' sleep. Stirex has already volunteered for the morning. I will take first shift."

Zairrex calls after Esthir, running off to bed.

"Okay, you can have second shift if you are tired already."

Looking around, he noticed Kekra sitting off to the side on her own. Didn't she know it was dangerous being away from the group so close to the lands of the goblins?

"Kekra, stay closer to the fire - we do not want to lose you because some goblin found you away from the group."

Turning back to his food, he put down his Cello and began eating the slightly charred fish. "You are still full of energy, are you not, Xict-Rict? You can take first watch with me."

Mephe
2008-01-16, 09:23 PM
"Why not, I have nothing else to do. The rest of you better sleep well, becuse I won't hesitate to change shifts in two hours."

Copacetic
2008-01-16, 09:25 PM
Jekran tears a strip of meat of the fish he was cooking with his teeth. After chewing loudly and swallowing, he clears hs throat and speaks. I will take Second watch. Wake me when the moon reaches there. He points to a location next to two stars. He then finshes his fish, stuffing his excesses mushrooms and berries in his backpack. After that he grabs some sticks and leaves and stuffs them into his bedroll and places it near the fire. He then grabs a tree branch and tries to swng himself up.


[roll0] Hopefully, that makes it up a branch.

Mephe
2008-01-16, 09:36 PM
"Sily fool," Xict-Rict whispered to Zairrex. "Does he not know that the stars are restless and constanly moving through the heavens?"

Zimmia
2008-01-16, 09:41 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, I make this

1st watch: Zairex and Xict-Rict
2nd watch: Esthir and Jekran
3rd watch:
4th watch: Striex

Copacetic
2008-01-16, 09:50 PM
Assuming that I got up.....


Jekran pulls himself over the branch and places his bow and arrows in a safe, secure spot. Placing hmself near them so he can reach them in an instant he closes his eyes. After a moment he calls to Xict-Rict

If you have trouble remembering where the stars I pointed to are, just wake me when the moon has completed one third of its journey.

burntsolace
2008-01-16, 11:04 PM
Squat

Squat who is off by himself looks over at the group.

"Wake me up when you need me."

And he rolls over to sleep, willing to be woken when ever he is needed.

DiscipleofBob
2008-01-18, 12:28 AM
Kekra

Kekra quietly picks a spot close to the center of the camp, between other kobolds, convinced that if something does attack in the night, it will at least have to go through the other party members first. She does not directly offer to take a watch, but if waked will do her fair share. Otherwise, she curls up tight in her bedroll and tries to fall asleep.

pingcode20
2008-01-18, 01:20 AM
Zairrex
Zairrex sits down on a rock, and hauls over his bag, taking out a small wood box with a couple of holes drilled in it. Taking out a couple of tools, he sets to work on some other contraption involving a coiled spring and a couple of gears, pausing occasionally to file a part a little more or tweak a peg.

"Well, Xict, I don't think I've had the opportunity to properly make your acquaintance - What do you do?" he asks while he works away through the two hours.

Gnarnia
2008-01-18, 12:45 PM
Gnargok

A rustling in the bushes nearby draws your attention. What appears to be the head of a rather scraggly looking dire rat pops up. A few moments later, the rest of Gnargok's head follows, revealing it to be merely his stupid dire-rat hat. Black lensed glasses cover his eyes... the height of kobold fashion.

He's followed closely by an enormous King Cobra, its head rising a full 5 feet above the ground as it peers around, it's tongue darting in and out, giving all the appearance that the druid is forever mere moments away from becoming its next meal.

"Gnargok back. Mmmm, who caughts fish?" Without waiting for a reply, the kobold hungrily stuffs his face with whatever leftover scraps are still in the campsite, wiping his mouth on his sleeve.

"Gnargok watches from tree, yes? Yes, that best place for Gnargok." He spends the next few minutes trying to convince the snake to pull him up into a tree so he has a better spot to watch and an easier place to hide in case a hungry bear attacks the camp and eats everyone else.

(1d20+10 against DC 25 to 'push' an animal w/ animal handling skill. Includes +4 bonus for handling his own animal companion.

Retries are allowed so he'll just take as many rolls as it takes to get a success.)

Zimmia
2008-01-20, 05:55 PM
Everyone settles into trees or around fires for the night. The night is clear and pleasant.

It's about an hour until dawn when Striex hears a rustling in the bushes at the far end of the camp, and then suddenly the bell attached to the tripwire begins to tinkle (or gong depending on how big it is).


I'm guessing that both Striex (on watch) and Zairrex (who's right near the bell) both hear the warning. You've got about a round before they show up.

As the two wake the rest of the group, the rustling becomes louder. From out of the brambles, you can see a pair of... sticks. They are rushing toward you.

That's initiative my friends, go ahead and roll. ((Edit: I've made a map and not I'm trying to figure out how to get it hosted. I'm kind of stupid in this area but I'm trying. Please bear with me :smalleek: ))

pingcode20
2008-01-20, 07:21 PM
Zairrex
Zairrex's eyes fly wide open under his smoked lenses, as his carefully prepared alarm bell rings next to his ear. Shaking off sleep (not a difficult task, given he was not of such a sleepy nature as some of his comrades), he fumbles in his pocket for the signal whistle, putting it to his lips and blowing sharply into it before ducking away to look for the intruder unobserved.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

burntsolace
2008-01-20, 07:38 PM
Squat

Squat rolls to his feet he has his stick in hand, looking at the stick rushing towards him.


[roll0]

dyslexicfaser
2008-01-20, 08:12 PM
Esthir

Esthir is awakened by a shrill whistle blast and fumbles around a bit in his bedroll before managing to stand. He looks up in time to see two sticks attack the camp.

He blinks, rubs his eyes in disbelief, and prepares for battle.

[roll0]

Gnarnia
2008-01-20, 09:05 PM
Gnargok

Gnargok awakens with a start.

"What? Huh? Who? Huh?"

Seeing the approaching sticks, he springs into action, sort of, considering that he's up a tree.

Initiative: [roll0]

He also tries to recollect if he's seen anything like the sticks before.

Knowledge: Nature: [roll1]

Copacetic
2008-01-20, 11:21 PM
Jekran snaps awake. He grabs his bow and aims it right at the oncoming sticks


[roll0] Ready acton to Attack the sticks if they try to attack anyone

Mephe
2008-01-21, 12:20 AM
(OOC: I assume we weren't sleeping in our armor.)

Clawing out of his sleeping bag, Xict-Rict shifts in to his scaled dog predater form, ready to react to anything coming his way.
Intiative: [roll0]

DiscipleofBob
2008-01-21, 12:39 AM
Kekra stands up and shuffles into her armor as fast as possible.

Initiative:
[roll0]

MammonAzrael
2008-01-21, 01:19 AM
Stirex
HP - 10/10
AC - 19
Int - [roll0]

Stirex grins in the darkness, glad that his morning has started off with something volunteering itself to be blown up.


Stirex readies a Ray of Frost (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rayOfFrost.htm) in the round he hears the alarm and unleashes it as soon as one of the "sticks" makes a threatening move.

[roll1]
[roll2]

pingcode20
2008-01-21, 01:57 AM
Well, Zairrex would be, because it's just light armour and I noted earlier that he was relying on it in lieu of packing a bedroll.

Zairrex
Zairrex's polished dark glasses slowly rise from his hiding place, peering at the two 'sticks', and noting his compatriots' seeming fixation with the moving pieces of ex-foliage, he lowered his head back into his hiding place.

[roll0]

Unsheathing his dagger, he makes his way around the tripwire line to where the sticks came from.

Zimmia
2008-01-22, 04:32 PM
((Sorry for the delay folks, I won't tell you a sob story but a whole lot of life kinda got in the way))

Gnarok
You've never heard of anything like this before, not even a rumor

Initiative Order

Jekran 23
Striex 18
Zairrex 18
(both Striex and Zairrex have a 16 dex, which is how I would normally resolve a tie.)
Gnarok 16
Squat 14 (18 dex)
Kekra 14 (17 dex)
Sticks 12
Xict-Rict 11
Esthir 10

Jekran, Striex and Zairrex are up

Map
Okay, please bear with me here, this is the first time I've tried to do something like this on the computer, and it took me two days to figure out how to upload it. I'm not really a moron, I promise. Map (http://zimmia.awardspace.com/KoboldsMission/KoboldMap.htm)

Copacetic
2008-01-22, 05:52 PM
((OOC: I'm sad you have a sob story Zimmia, I hope it gets better. Also, I could hopefully help with the Computer issues.))

Jekran trains his arrow on Stick number one, if it makes any offensive actions he shoots at it. Squinting his eyes, he tries to see if there is anything else nearby the sticks.


[roll0]

pingcode20
2008-01-23, 01:26 AM
((Er, I can't see the map.))

dyslexicfaser
2008-01-23, 11:10 AM
((OOC: Works fine for me.))

"We're being attacked by animated wood?" Esthir wondered aloud, struck by the bizarre incongruity of it. But he knew well how to deal with things that burned easily: he drew in a breath, and exhaled fire.

Fire breath: [roll0]
If we actually get to his turn, he'll try and catch both sticks in a 15' cone if he can, but if that's impossible or he'd end up hitting a kobold, he'll just hit one as a 30' line attack. They get a Reflex save with a DC of 12 to take half damage.

burntsolace
2008-01-26, 04:59 PM
Squat

(When his spot in the initiative comes up)

He will charge the sticks and attack them with his stick. Screaming bloody murder at the top of his tiny little lungs.


attack [roll0] damage [roll1]

burntsolace
2008-01-26, 05:00 PM
squat


due to critical hit extra damage [roll0]

DiscipleofBob
2008-01-27, 01:44 PM
Kekra

Kekra casts Detect Magic on the sticks and the area behind them. She sincerely doubted that these "sticks" were just natural enemies. Then again, she'd heard weird things about the outside world.

Zimmia
2008-01-29, 12:54 PM
Round1

Jekran raises his bow, ready to fire if the sticks appear hostile.

Striex unleashes a Ray of Frost at one of the sticks, which swooshes past its body

Zairrex blends into the night and makes his way to the sticks

I've changed my mind, everyone can post actions when they can and I'll put them in order when everyone's gone. Gnarok and Mephe are up :smallsmile:

Map (if you need to be in a different space, just let me know):
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/apoggen/koboldround1.jpg

Gnarnia
2008-01-29, 01:30 PM
Gnargok wonders to himself why he climbed a tree when he lacks ranged weaponry.

He commands his snake to attack stick number 1, and works his way down out of the tree.

(Double move for Gnargok which should get him on the ground at the same tree if he takes 10 on his climb checks. His snake will double move as well (and has a climb speed) to it should end up about 30' northwest of the tree he's in now.)

MammonAzrael
2008-01-29, 04:28 PM
Stirex
HP - 10/10
AC - 19
Int - 18

Stirex moves closer to the sticks and unleashes an Acid Splash.


Obviously, this is all at my next initiative count.

Stirex moves to L-7 and launches an Acid Splash (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/acidSplash.htm) at the nearest stick.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Copacetic
2008-01-29, 05:45 PM
Jekran looks at his companions, srugs, and lets of an arrow from his bow at Stick no.1



[roll0] [roll1]

pingcode20
2008-01-29, 09:17 PM
Hmm, well, now that the map is readily visible, I'll have Zairrex use his action to double-move for 30' towards the west, since he's circling around, not approaching the sticks.

Zimmia
2008-01-30, 12:13 PM
Round One

Now that the group has had a chance to study these sticks, thatís still what they appear to be. They are about the same height as an average kobold and their twigs come together to form sinister looking arms.

Jekkran sees the sticks burst out into the clearing and looses an arrow at it, damaging it. In response it makes an angry gesture at him.

Striex hurls a Ray of Frost at the sticks, but it misses.

Zairrex moves stealithy to investigate and hopefully offer a flank.

Gnarok climbs down from the tree, landing beside it. He sends his viper forward and it closes a great deal of the distance.

Squat charges the sticks, swings his own branch and watches as it becomes a shower of splinters!

Kekra casts Detect Magic and sends her gaze toward the sticks. They do not radiate any magic at all Ė they arenít created or animated.

The remaining stick growls evilly at Squat and slashes at him with its two claws, missing him both times

Attacks: EDIT: I rolled a 13 in the OOC thread 1d20] and [roll0] damage [roll1] and [roll2]

For any attack that lands, Squat must make a DC 16 fort save or take another point of damage.

Fort save (for time purposes) [roll3] and [roll4]



You now also hear angry twittering coming from the north and the north northeast.

Xict-Rict, having shifted to his alternate form, moves toward the sticks

Esthir sends out a line of Fire Breath toward the remaining stick, taking a point of damage

Reflex save for Ĺ damage: [roll5]

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/apoggen/Kobold%20Maps/koboldround2.jpg

Mephe
2008-01-30, 09:55 PM
Xict-Rict pounces on the nearest stick and clamps own with his jaws, attemping to split the wooden crature in half.
Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

burntsolace
2008-01-31, 03:40 AM
Squat

Squat spits on the ground. "Wake up for tooth picks... too easy."


Lather Rinse and Repeat!
attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]

pingcode20
2008-02-01, 03:07 AM
Zairrex
Without so much as a rustle, Zairrex carefully moves ahead a further 30'. While the possibility for a sneak attack was clearly impossible, if there were others responsible for this he'd catch them.

Gnarnia
2008-02-01, 10:21 AM
Gnargok whistles to get his snake's attention and the pair of them move towards the sound of the twittering (double moves for both of them. Gnargok moves 30' and the snake only 20' so hopefully he can catch up this round).

Copacetic
2008-02-01, 10:46 AM
Jekran Takes a step backwards and Points his bow at the Nearest twitering sound and Loosens an arrow into it.



[spoiler] If I need it roll, here it is: [roll0] [roll1]