PDA

View Full Version : Sorry for the stupid question, but how many feats do characters get at first level?

BisectedBrioche
2008-01-15, 05:16 PM
I'm DMing my first game and I just realised I never found out.

Serenity
2008-01-15, 05:20 PM
Everyone gets one feat at first level. Human characters get a second. A Human Fighter would get three, one of which would have to come from the Fighter Bonus Feat list.

BisectedBrioche
2008-01-15, 05:23 PM
Ah, thanks.

Gorbash
2008-01-15, 05:29 PM
And it's a secret known only to a few. Because, you see, (allegedly) there's this book, whom some people call 'Player's Handbook' (god knows what that means), that's SUPPOSED to have that type of information, but no one is sure, so that information is passed from generation to generation...

Look under FEATS. Never thought it'd be there huh?

marjan
2008-01-15, 05:57 PM
For that kind of questions it is best to go here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66326). It saves some space on boards.:smallsmile:

Swooper
2008-01-15, 06:22 PM
I'd like to add that if they're allowed, using flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) can add two extra feats at 1st level.

Darkxarth
2008-01-15, 07:07 PM
And it's a secret known only to a few. Because, you see, (allegedly) there's this book, whom some people call 'Player's Handbook' (god knows what that means), that's SUPPOSED to have that type of information, but no one is sure, so that information is passed from generation to generation...

It's great how people on this board are respectful Supposedly, if someone asks a question on this board it should be answered by those who know the answer with kindness instead of condescension.

Never thought about that, huh?

Fiery Diamond
2008-01-15, 07:12 PM
Darkxarth has a point. Even though a silly, sarcastic statement like that may be funny to you or me, you have to keep in mind that it isn't necessarily funny to the OP. Different people draw different lines between funny and insulting condescension.

-Fiery Diamond

Gorbash
2008-01-15, 07:41 PM
But really, how hard was it to open PHB and look it up under feats? Or check the SRD? Or anything...?

And I do love sarcasm.

BisectedBrioche
2008-01-15, 07:43 PM

I left my books at home (I'm at uni) and I spent about 30 minutes looking through the SRD and googling.

Plus is there not a certain saying about sarcasm and its place amoung wit? A secret only known to a few perhaps....:smalltongue:

Gorbash
2008-01-15, 07:45 PM
Lowest form of wit, and highest form of humor. I do my homework. :)

Voyager_I
2008-01-15, 07:53 PM
It's great how people on this board are respectful Supposedly, if someone asks a question on this board it should be answered by those who know the answer with kindness instead of condescension.

Never thought about that, huh?

Where I come from, we let people get offended for themselves before aggressively rushing to their aid, especially over minor sarcasm...

(in an effort to avoid hypocrisy, I will state that I personally find it annoying when people try to get puffy on somebody else's behalf. He's a big boy, he can take it personally all by himself)

...especially when the person asking the question is presumably a respected member of the community ;)...

Yakk
2008-01-16, 01:58 AM
Sheesh! I google first level feats, and on the very first page -- the 5th link -- there is the answer!

It is a link to a thread on these boards even.

Actually it's a link to this thread.

DAMN YOU GOOGLE!

wadledo
2008-01-16, 02:07 AM
I always forget the progression, so I use Crystal keep (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf).
Second to last page has all those nice things.

loopy
2008-01-16, 02:09 AM
Everyone gets one feat at first level. Human characters get a second. A Human Fighter would get three, one of which would have to come from the Fighter Bonus Feat list.

As Serenity says. I personally like to allow my players to pick an extra 'flavor' feat at first level, considering that some feats are MUCH better than others.

Cleave >>>> Toughness, for example.

Jacob Orlove
2008-01-16, 11:57 AM
But really, how hard was it to open PHB and look it up under feats? Or check the SRD? Or anything...?
Checking the SRD is a no-go. It won't have any information on how to create 1st level characters (no starting wealth, no first level feat information, etc.)

Nor will it have any information on Point buy tables, XP tables to advance characters from level to level, etc. None of that is free and open material, according to Wizards.

That said, it's pretty easy to check how many feats all the first level humanoid monsters start with (one). :smallwink:

Reinboom
2008-01-16, 12:13 PM
I believe it's ghostwise halflings that also start with an extra.

As Serenity says. I personally like to allow my players to pick an extra 'flavor' feat at first level, considering that some feats are MUCH better than others.

I use my own fluffy feat alternative (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Mechanically_Fluffy), which is going rather nicely in my current campaign.

wormwood
2008-01-16, 12:39 PM

Going completely off-topic here for a moment, my DM in a Call of Cthulhu game gives everyone points to spend in "useless, character-defining skills." It tends to end up producing amusing results.

DM: The Elder Beast grabs you and squeezes. It hurts.
Player: I Scream Like a Little Girl.
DM: OK, roll Scream Like a Little Girl.

Darkxarth
2008-01-16, 04:19 PM
Where I come from, we let people get offended for themselves before aggressively rushing to their aid, especially over minor sarcasm...

(in an effort to avoid hypocrisy, I will state that I personally find it annoying when people try to get puffy on somebody else's behalf. He's a big boy, he can take it personally all by himself)

...especially when the person asking the question is presumably a respected member of the community ;)...

I was just as "aggressive" as the poster to whom I was responding. He may claim it was sarcasm (and he may very well have intended it that way) but as I read it all I saw was the ridiculous degredation of a "n00bish" question and the asker of said question.

I admit I didn't notice his posting level (Bugbear) but I did see that in his post he said "This is my first time DMing a game." Which to me, says "not necessarily knowledgeable of all rules of the game and where to find them."