PDA

View Full Version : Torchwood

Arioch
2008-01-16, 04:51 PM
So, Torchwood series 2...

For those of you who saw it, what did you think?

I quite enjoyed it - it was well-paced and exciting, and Jack's non-dying is always good. However, very little actually happened. Nasty man come, nasty man go. So, good for the action, and the characters. Less good on the plot.

Like most of Torchwood, really.

Dihan
2008-01-16, 04:54 PM
I found the intro hilarious. Though shouldn't this be in Media Discussion?

onasuma
2008-01-16, 04:54 PM
The first one is never great. I enjoyed it, but there should have been more blowfish man. Also: DNA DOES NOT WORK LIKE THAT. Thank you.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-16, 04:59 PM
Was it any good then? I watched Spooks on DVD instead. Harry Pearce > Jack Harkness any day.

factotum
2008-01-16, 05:23 PM
I think it was a good start. The leavening of humour that was sorely missing in the first season really made the episode flow a lot better for me. Yes, the science was a bit ropey, and they pressed the mother of all reset buttons at the end (for very little reason as far as I could tell), but it was still better than 90% of the first season. If they can maintain that improvement throughout the season Torchwood might actually get back into my "must watch" list rather than the "OK, I'll watch it unless something more interesting comes up" one.

Hermit
2008-01-16, 05:26 PM
I quite enjoyed it, it was a decent opener. Seemed like it was setting up a lot of plot points for later episodes. Did like the pacing too, hoping the rest of the series keeps that up. The first series at times crossed the line between gritty drama and emo-fest, but with any luck they'll have got that sorted this time round. Looking forward to the rest of the series myself.

Hoping Bilis Manger's back at some point too this series. He was a decent villain.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-01-17, 08:01 AM
and they pressed the mother of all reset buttons at the end

No they didn't, they just went back in time. They didn't actually stop the past happening. Nobody really died so there wasn't anything to reset anyway.

A loop is not a paradox.

Fay Graydon
2008-01-17, 08:08 AM
I saw Torchwood too.
I love the fact they have Spike in it (reference to buffy the vampire slayer)

Keris
2008-01-17, 08:08 AM
The random thug at the start died. And the Blowfish. But all in all, it was a good episode (at least IMO). I only saw the first 2 episodes of the first series, but plan to catch all of this series.

factotum
2008-01-18, 03:23 AM
No they didn't, they just went back in time. They didn't actually stop the past happening. Nobody really died so there wasn't anything to reset anyway.

Well, there was the random thug killed by Captain John. In any case, you've made exactly my point--there was no reason for them to travel back in time because nothing especially bad had happened! Quite apart from the fact it also introduced a plot hole--they supposedly travelled back in time to the moment that Captain John first came through the rift, so why didn't they bump into him? The comment somebody made about "Damn, we'll have to avoid bumping into ourselves" made it clear that should have happened, but it didn't.

Reminds me of "Crime Traveller", where the whole point of the time machine they were using was that they had to return to it at the same time as they'd used it in the first place, yet somehow they never met themselves...