PDA

View Full Version : [Race] Tilwari [PEACH]

Neftren
2008-01-18, 01:32 PM
A seafaring race of nomadic traders, Tilwari are often seen sailing in and out of ports, or as merchants in the great cities. They're tall, blue-skinned and thin people who are highly intelligent but lack physical strength. They usually stand at around 6 feet and weigh between 120 and 140 pounds. Females tend to be lighter, but are not any different in height when compared to the males.

• +2 Intelligence, -2 Strength
• Keen Eyes: +4 Bonus to Appraise Checks and +2 Bonus to Spot checks. A Tilwari is always on the lookout for good deals and scammers alike.
• Thriftwise: A Tilwari is treated as one friendliness category higher when dealing with merchants and bartering for goods. A Tilwari may also begin with an additional Ό of his Wealth by Level, that may be spent only upon adventuring gear that is not weaponry or armor or magical versions of them. This bonus wealth is not permanent and may only be spent when first purchasing items. Any later transactions must be made with a Tilwari's own money. [Thus, a Magic Bedroll would be allowed, but a +1 Masterwork Longsword would not.]
• Automatic Languages: Common, Tilwaresh, Tradespeak. Bonus Languages: Elven, Halfling, Draconic
• Favored Class: Windsinger. It is of the highest honor to be a Tilwari Windsinger, because they bring the precious winds and control the weather even when there is none to control. Storm magic is often difficult to wield and control and Windsingers are highly honored among the Tilwari.*

Lord_Gareth
2008-01-22, 01:48 PM
What constitutes "adventuring gear"?

This suffers from the same gaps in flavor and "so-what" vibe that the other race I commented on has. There's nothing to really make them stand out. For that matter, both races sound more like cultures than true races. Again, it strikes as sub-par compared to other L.A. 0 races and has nothing to make any player really care - why pick this race when there's so many more that are just plain cooler?

Hazkali
2008-01-22, 02:43 PM
Erm...Thriftwise is a poorly thought-out ability. For a start, it has no time limit or number of uses per day. Also, the limit of 100gp is very beneficial at lower levels, far too much. I'd scrap the "item spawning" part of this ability and replace it with something better worded.

Neftren
2008-01-22, 07:00 PM
What constitutes "adventuring gear"?

This suffers from the same gaps in flavor and "so-what" vibe that the other race I commented on has. There's nothing to really make them stand out. For that matter, both races sound more like cultures than true races. Again, it strikes as sub-par compared to other L.A. 0 races and has nothing to make any player really care - why pick this race when there's so many more that are just plain cooler?

First off, I outlined the flavor bit in another post that you did read. As for being sub par, remember that I'm not trying to build a race for you to powergame on. If I really wanted to min/max, I'd go with a Gnome Wizard/Incantrix/Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil. This is all for a setting I'm writing. Now if you have any beneficial comments, that's what I'm looking for.

Erm...Thriftwise is a poorly thought-out ability. For a start, it has no time limit or number of uses per day. Also, the limit of 100gp is very beneficial at lower levels, far too much. I'd scrap the "item spawning" part of this ability and replace it with something better worded.

I couldn't figure out how to word it. They aren't actually "spawning" an item per se, they are [flavor wise] more like haggling for the gear. I'll keep trying to figure out a better way of wording it. This is why I've been posting this stuff here... to get revision comments. It's in a very raw form at the moment. Got any suggestions as to how to fix it?

Lord_Gareth
2008-01-22, 07:03 PM
I'm not looking for powergaming. But just because I like to roleplay doesn't mean I don't worry about my character's statistical viability. I don't care if I'm the Second Coming of Roleplaying, a character who can't drag his own weight in the party needs to be shot.

If you're making a seafaring race, why not something like the Shifting Deck ability of Dread Pirate that helps them keep stable on dangerous terrain like stairs/slopes? Or a bonus on Profession (Sailor) and Use Rope checks?

Neftren
2008-01-22, 07:12 PM
I'm not looking for powergaming. But just because I like to roleplay doesn't mean I don't worry about my character's statistical viability. I don't care if I'm the Second Coming of Roleplaying, a character who can't drag his own weight in the party needs to be shot.

If you're making a seafaring race, why not something like the Shifting Deck ability of Dread Pirate that helps them keep stable on dangerous terrain like stairs/slopes? Or a bonus on Profession (Sailor) and Use Rope checks?

This race is statistically just about the same as others, with a flair for trading... I'm not trying to design a race that's uber good, and I'm definitely trying to stay away from an Elf replication. Although I will be writing an Elf Subrace as the fourth race.

Perhaps you'll take a different view on the roleplaying aspect once I've released more information on the races in general. I'm working on balance and crunch to make these races playable.

I had considered the seafaring part, but remember, most campaigns take place on land, and I want to keep these guys as mostly Traders who sail, not Sailors who Trade. There's a definite difference there. I had debated on making their favored class Artificer, but I didn't consider them crafters either.

Lord_Gareth
2008-01-22, 07:15 PM
Shifting Deck works on stairs, hills, slopes, tables, that kind of thing as well. It'd give them a bit of a swashbuckler-y flair, though.

At the moment, with both races you've shown so far, I'd rather be a straight-up human, or maybe a halfbreed. I've found that, usually, Halfling-level power is about what you're shooting for in an L.A. 0 race.

Plus, seriously, you can never go wrong with skill bonuses unless you're utterly retarded. Which you are not. The other race could benefit from, say, Knowledge (Tactics) or maybe Craft (Something kinda military related)

Neftren
2008-01-22, 07:24 PM
Shifting Deck works on stairs, hills, slopes, tables, that kind of thing as well. It'd give them a bit of a swashbuckler-y flair, though.

At the moment, with both races you've shown so far, I'd rather be a straight-up human, or maybe a halfbreed. I've found that, usually, Halfling-level power is about what you're shooting for in an L.A. 0 race.

Plus, seriously, you can never go wrong with skill bonuses unless you're utterly retarded. Which you are not. The other race could benefit from, say, Knowledge (Tactics) or maybe Craft (Something kinda military related)

Which is exactly why it's not really being instituted.

Well, I'm not about to give them a bonus feat... I've already put skill bonuses to this race in the form of Appraise and Spot, which both have reasons for. This race I think I've got it locked down flavor wise, but I keep thinking it's a bit weak crunch wise.

I don't really want to put more skill bonuses in, since WotC doesn't really give bonuses to more than three or four skills tops... maybe this race would benefit from either extra skillpoints or the ubiquitous bonus feat?

Edit: Reworded the Thriftwise Ability.

Lord_Gareth
2008-01-22, 08:22 PM
*Snaps his fingers*

If you ever watch Mythbusters - or do some pirate research - sailors would wear eyepatches so that, when they had to go somewhere dark, they could see by uncovering the patched eye. Mythbusters (and some more scientific, less-fun studies) have proved this true.

Perhaps something along the lines of conditional dark and low-light vision??

I dunno...grasping at straws...

Neftren
2008-01-22, 08:27 PM
*Snaps his fingers*

If you ever watch Mythbusters - or do some pirate research - sailors would wear eyepatches so that, when they had to go somewhere dark, they could see by uncovering the patched eye. Mythbusters (and some more scientific, less-fun studies) have proved this true.

Perhaps something along the lines of conditional dark and low-light vision??

I dunno...grasping at straws...

Hmm, good idea for maybe a Pirate Base Class, but I still think it's straying too far from the Trader idea. Mechanically speaking, I think the Tilwari are roughly on par with Humans, or better. I'll shelve that eyepatch concept for later. Good idea though.

Demented
2008-01-22, 10:08 PM
Needs more fluff.
If you're going for stats-light, then you need some heavy fluff to differentiate between races. This is important more for the race than it is for the setting...

Physically: How do they look? How do they walk? What are their eye and hair colors? How do they smell? What is their alignment? Are they comfortable at room temperature? Wouldn't blue skin make it harder to spot a man overboard?

Mentally: How do they think? How do they react? How do they speak, or communicate? Are they smart, dumb, clever, emotional, short-tempered, any of the above? Are they methodical puzzle solvers, or spur-of-the-moment planners? What is it like to heckle with one over the prices of goods?

Culturally: How do they choose their leaders? How do they choose their friends? Do they go to the movies on a Friday night, or a Saturday? What is their cuisine? What is their fashion? Would you catch one dead in spandex? Who is their patron diety? Do they have a rich tradition of making anchor babies?

EvilElitest
2008-01-22, 10:13 PM
seconded, really, needs more fluff and general filling out
from
EE

Neftren
2008-01-23, 08:53 AM
Needs more fluff.
If you're going for stats-light, then you need some heavy fluff to differentiate between races. This is important more for the race than it is for the setting...

Physically: How do they look? How do they walk? What are their eye and hair colors? How do they smell? What is their alignment? Are they comfortable at room temperature? Wouldn't blue skin make it harder to spot a man overboard?

A seafaring race of nomadic traders, Tilwari are often seen sailing in and out of ports, or as merchants in the great cities. They're tall, blue-skinned and thin people who are highly intelligent but lack physical strength. They usually stand at around 6 feet and weigh between 120 and 140 pounds. Females tend to be lighter, but are not any different in height when compared to the males.

I am drawing some pictures for each of the races, which should help a lot.

Mentally: How do they think? How do they react? How do they speak, or communicate? Are they smart, dumb, clever, emotional, short-tempered, any of the above? Are they methodical puzzle solvers, or spur-of-the-moment planners? What is it like to heckle with one over the prices of goods?

Will add more fluff later when I have time. But I do have it written in a Word Processing document.

[Quote]Culturally: How do they choose their leaders? How do they choose their friends? Do they go to the movies on a Friday night, or a Saturday? What is their cuisine? What is their fashion? Would you catch one dead in spandex? Who is their patron diety? Do they have a rich tradition of making anchor babies?

Answered above. :smallamused:

Fluff is coming, but I just need to make sure they're balanced and worth playing stat-wise for a game.

celtois
2008-01-23, 09:46 AM
looks balanced
no complaints here I'd let players play them in my game

Neftren
2008-01-23, 06:33 PM
Chapter 1: New Playable RacesThe Tilwari:A seafaring race of nomadic traders, Tilwari are often seen sailing in and out of ports, or as merchants in the great cities. They're tall, blue-skinned and thin people who are highly intelligent but lack physical strength. They usually stand at around 6 feet and weigh between 120 and 140 pounds. Females tend to be lighter, but are not any different in height when compared to the males.

• +2 Intelligence, -2 Strength
• Keen Eyes: +4 Bonus to Appraise Checks and +2 Bonus to Spot checks. A Tilwari is always on the lookout for good deals and scammers alike.
• Thriftwise: A Tilwari is treated as one friendliness category higher when dealing with merchants and bartering for goods. A Tilwari may also begin with an additional Ό of his Wealth by Level, that may be spent only upon adventuring gear that is not weaponry or armor or magical versions of them. This bonus wealth is not permanent and may only be spent when first purchasing items. Any later transactions must be made with a Tilwari's own money. [Thus, a Magic Bedroll would be allowed, but a +1 Masterwork Longsword would not.]
• Automatic Languages: Common, Tilwaresh, Tradespeak. Bonus Languages: Elven, Halfling, Draconic
• Favored Class: Windsinger. It is of the highest honor to be a Tilwari Windsinger, because they bring the precious winds and control the weather even when there is none to control. Storm magic is often difficult to wield and control and Windsingers are highly honored among the Tilwari.*The Igmarins:A stocky humanoid race, these pioneering individuals forged an empire through sword and military might. The Imperial Igmarin Empire now exists as the sole masters of the central continent of Soraya, as well as encroaching upon the lush jungle island of Morandor. Standing between four and a half to five feet tall and weighing between 130 and 160 pounds with dark skin and characterized by their almost demonic looking red eyes, Igmarin are feared by many.

• +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -4 Wisdom. Strong in body, but centuries of rule over others have made them narrow minded and lax as well as comfortable with their lifestyle.
• Military Discipline: An Igmarin has learned to ignore pain and may march an additional two hours per day without making constitution checks to prevent non-lethal damage.
• Intuitive Rider: An Igmarin has been trained from birth to wield weapons in combat, and his skills on a horse are unparalleled. An Igmarin gains a +4 bonus to Ride Checks and a +2 bonus to Handle Animal Checks.
• Weapon Mastery: An Igmarin who has feats that affect the use of a particular type of weapon, such as Weapon Focus or the like, can apply the benefits to any weapon of the appropriate size and category.
• Automatic Languages: Common, Codesign, Tradespeak. Bonus Languages: Elven, Goblin, Orcish
• Favored Class: Myrmidon. The military footsoldier of the Igmarin Army, these strong warriors are deadly on the battlefield. Known for their teamwork and coordinated fighting, these masterful warriors are one step ahead of the rest.*The Pirqag (Peer-Kag):Pirqag (Peer-Kag) are the natives of the land mass that is now known as the Igmarin Empire. Excelling at guerilla warfare, these individuals band together in small groups to harry the orderly Igmarin army. These small optimistic individuals still managed to construct great cities on the southern island of Morandor. Standing just a mere three and a half feet tall, these compact, stocky individuals have repelled invasion on their territory for the past hundred years. Their lack of large scale tactics has been more than made up by their quickness and high morale.

• Small Size [+1 Bonus to AC, a +1 Bonus on Attack Rolls, and a +4 Bonus on Hide Checks]
• +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Strength, -2 Intelligence
• Base Land Speed of 30 Feet
• +2 Bonus to Hide and Move Silently Checks
• Lay of the Land: A Pirqag knows the land well, and may move at his base land speed through any natural terrain squares that would normally impede movement or require checks to pass through. He also gains a +2 bonus to Knowledge: Geography and Local checks.
• Ambush and Counterinsurgency: A Pirqag who has advance knowledge of an enemy may set a carefully crafted ambush. During a surprise round in which he may act, he may take one additional action [Double Move, Move + Standard, etc.] and during a surprise round in which he ordinarily would not be allowed to move, he is instead granted a move of 10 feet in any direction.
• Favored Class: Partisan. The art of guerilla warfare has been perfected by the Pirqag. Those who achieve the rank of Partisan are feared by the Igmarin army, who has witnessed just how much damage one partisan can do by himself.*The Ghost Elves:Residing for three hundred thousand years on the island of Hargil where they exist in solitude, studying the histories and vast knowledges of the world. The Ghost Elves have developed an uncanny knack for disappearing into the shadows. Nobody knows how they got this way, because Ghost Elves are a highly isolationist race, dealing only with Tilwari traders. Any Ghost Elves found outside of their stunning island fortress is usually a bounty hunter or a Templar sent out on a mission. Standing an impressive 6 feet, these individuals weigh only 90 to 100 pounds. Not much is known about these folk, but they have been known to be kind but there are those who are ruthless and cunning.

• +2 Wisdom, +2 Dexterity, -4 Charisma
• To Tread a Thin Line: Having been on both sides of light and darkness, Ghost Elves have learned to enter the unreal. Once per day as a standard action, these individuals may enter and traverse the Ethereal Plane for up to 10 minutes. This effect may be terminated prematurely with the use of a standard action. This is a Supernatural Ability.
• Immune to Sleep Effects, but are not granted a bonus to their saving throw.
• Ghost Elves may gain one Knowledge skill as a class skill permanently, even if it is not normally on their class skill list.
• +2 Bonus to all Hide and Move Silently Checks.
• Naturally Psionic: Ghost Elves gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.
• Automatic Languages: Common, Elven. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Sylvan, Abyssal, Celestial, Infernal
• Favored Class: Templar. Chosen from birth, these powerful juggernauts serve the temple as guardians and protectors. It is the highest honor for a family or person is to be selected to become a Templar.*

Adu'ja: From Dragon 317Adu'ja
-2 Str, +2 Wis, +2 Cha
• Medium Size
• 30’ Movement
• Low-light vision.
• Woodland Stride, as the Druid class ability.
• +4 Racial bonus on Diplomacy, Perform, & Survival checks.
• –4 penalty on Bluff & Sense Motive checks.
• Survival is always an in-class skill.
• Plant creature.
• Photosynthesis – only consume Όth as much as a Human as long as it has 4 hours of direct sunlight each day. Without sunlight, must consume as much as a Human.
• Photoregeneration – if allowed to rest in the sunlight with 1 gallon of water for a day, heals 2x Character level. Otherwise heals normally. Able to regrow severed limbs in one month (2 weeks with bed rest)
• Vulnerability to Fire – +50% damage from fire.
• Speak with plants, 1/day at caster level 1st.
• Favored Class: Druid
• Level Adjustment +2