PDA

View Full Version : Knight of the Second Dawn

Icewalker
2008-01-20, 01:04 AM
Knight of the Second Dawn
Knights of the Second Dawn have the following game statistics:
Abilities: Knights of the Second Dawn have need of many different abilities, and depending on the layout of their abilities, can function in different ways. However, most Knights of the Second Dawn rely primarily on their Dexterity, as the ways of the order often involve the silent and quick dispatching of evil wherever it is found, as well as the fact that Knights of the Second Dawn don't lose their Dexterity bonus from armor. Charisma is also important, as it is used for the Moonlit Strike and Inner Moonlight abilities.
Alignment: Any Good.
Hit dice: d10

Prerequisites:
BAB +4
Must be proficient with heavy armor
Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks
Sense Motive 8 ranks
Track feat

Class Skills
The Knight of the Second Dawn’s class skills are Concentration, Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (history), Knowledge (religion), Profession, Sense Motive, Ride, Survival, and Spellcraft

Divine Caster version:
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+2|Lunar Plate, Moonlit Strike 1d6|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3||+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+3|Moonlit Strike 2d6|-

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+4|Quiet Steps|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+4|Moonlit Strike 3d6|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+5|Inner Moonlight|-

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+5|Moonlit Strike 4d6|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+6|Silent Glide|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+6|Moonlit Strike 5d6|-

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+7|
+7|Moonlit Strike 6d6|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class [/table]

Martial Adept version:
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Man. Known|Man. Readied|Stances Known

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+2|Lunar Plate, Moonlit Strike 1d6|
0|
0|

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3||
1|
0|

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+3|Moonlit Strike 2d6|
0|
0|

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+4|Quiet Steps|
1|
0|

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+4|Moonlit Strike 3d6|
0|
1|

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+5|Inner Moonlight|
1|
0|

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+5|Moonlit Strike 4d6|
0|
0|

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+6|Silent Glide|
1|
0|

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+6|Moonlit Strike 5d6|
0|
1|

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+7|
+7|Moonlit Strike 6d6|
1|
0|
0 [/table]

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The Knight of the Second Dawn gains no weapon or armor proficiencies.

Spellcasting Progression or Maneuvers: as always and see Ruby Knight Vindicator (ToB 123) respectively

Lunar Plate: When a Knight of the Second Dawn is initiated into the Order, he goes to visit the Lunar Bastion in the mountains, and has his set of Lunar Plate forged. The Knight’s set of Lunar Plate shows his standing among other Knights of the Order of the Second Dawn, as well as being a powerful protection and tool. The Lunar Plate is by far the most valued possession of any of the Knights. At first level, it is a set of full plate. Every even numbered level it gains +1 enhancement bonus, reaching +5 at 10th level when in moonlight. When out of moonlight, it is normal full plate.

Moonlit Strike: Moonlit Strike is the defining attack of the Knight of the Second Dawn. When in moonlight, the Knight of the Second dawn may attempt a Moonlit Strike. This is part of a normal attack. If the Moonlit Strike hits, it deals normal weapon damage and the target must make a fortitude save (DC 15 + the Knight’s charisma bonus + the Knight’s Cleric, Paladin, and Knight of the Second Dawn levels). If they fail the save, they take extra damage. This damage becomes non-lethal if the target is not of evil alignment. The extra damage is 1d6 at first level, increasing by 1d6 at every odd level, as well as increasing at 10th level. This ability cannot be used in two consecutive rounds against the same target.

Once per night, in moonlight that is coming off of the moon, not from the Inner Moonlight ability, the Knight of the Second Dawn may force a further power forward. If the target fails the first save and is evil, the Knight can force a second fortitude save (DC 10 + the Knights Charisma bonus + Knight of the Second Dawn levels). If this save is failed, the target is slain in a swirling of bright white light, and drifts off into the night. When an evil target is slain in this way by a Knight of the Second Dawn, a small moon can be seen, etched into the Lunar Plate of the Knight when in moonlight. It is partially by these etchings that the members of the Order judge one another.

Quiet Steps: At 4th level, the Lunar Plate of the Knight gains a somewhat blue sheen and an unusual lightness when in moonlight. This allows the Knight to ignore the armor check penalty and max Dexterity limit on the armor when in moonlight.

Inner Moonlight: Once reaching 6th level, the Knight of the Second Dawn may bring out an inner moonlight within himself. This lasts 1 minute per Knight of the Second Dawn level. When affected by Inner Moonlight and entirely out of the sun (Standing in the shade outside on a sunny day doesn’t work, standing in a building with shades over the windows does) the Knight is treated as being in moonlight for the purposes of the powers of his Lunar plate, as well as the basic Moonlit Strike. The Knight can use this ability a number of times per day equal to his Charisma modifier, with a minimum of once per day.

Silent Glide: At 8th level, the Knight’s Lunar Plate gains a transparent glowing quality when in moonlight, giving the Knight the ability to move as if he wasn’t hindered at all. When in moonlight, the Knight gains +10 ft. movement rate, a bonus to Move Silently checks equal to his Knight of the Second Dawn level, and can automatically take 20 on Escape Artist checks, even if threatened or otherwise distracted.

Ex-Knights of the Second Dawn
Knights of the Second Dawn follow a less strict moral and ethical code than paladins. The Order of the Second Dawn’s purpose is to hunt out and slay evil. A Knight of the Second Dawn who ceases to be good loses all Knight of the Second Dawn abilities. The Lunar Plate becomes standard full plate, and loses all etchings. Knights of the Second Dawn cannot associate with known evil unless it is to stop a greater evil, and this is done grudgingly. Whenever a Knight of the Second Dawn finds an evil purpose or organization, they must determine whether it is worth their time to destroy. If it will cause extreme distress and hindrance to them and others to try to destroy it, or greatly delay a far more important quest, they may pass on without interfering, but will report it to the Order for the dispatch of less busy Knights.

Kellus
2008-01-20, 02:29 AM
This looks like a really cool idea for a class: someone that relies on the moon for supernatural abilities to fight evil. I also like the two options, for martial adepts and for divine spellcasters. That being said, you should probably write out the spellcasting or maneuver stuff in the class instead of saying 'as usual' or 'refer to'.

For the prerequisites, it seems like a Ranger/Paladin would have the easiest access. Is that what you were looking for?

Base Attack Bonus: Minor nitpick, but prestige classes don't have iterative attacks on the class table.

Lunar Plate: Interesting, but raises a few questions. Is the plate masterwork to begin with? Can someone else wear it? Can a knight of the second dawn sell it? For how much? Can it be enchanted beyond the class' enhancement bonus?

Lunar Strike: Save DCs for special attacks generally are equal to 10 + 1/2 HD (or base class level) + ability modifier; or for prestige classes, 10 + prestige class level + ability modifier. Unless you're looking for the target to never succeed on the check (except on a 20)? Because you're looking at a DC 21 + Cha at level one. The secondary ability seems fine, and uses the right DC.

Quiet Steps: This is perfectly reasonable, but it seems odd to come at level 4, when it would seem to be something they should start off with. Perhaps making it incremental and raising max Dex by a few points every few levels?

Inner Moonlight: Excellent, and takes away the situationalness of the class quite handily. The only thing I would say is to make it incremental as well, getting at least 1 use/day as early as maybe 2nd level, and going from there. Otherwise, half of the character's time in the class he'll be completely useless in daylight. :smalleek:

Silent Glide: Seems alright, but odd considering that Move Silently and Escape Artist aren't class skills. What would probably be simpler would be a continual freedom of movement effect?

Seems pretty reasonable; the only thing I'd consider, if Dexterity is so important to them, might be to consider granting them Evasion at some point? It would certainly fit the theme and help to differentiate them from conventional paladins and the like.

In any case, I like the moon-based aspect of the class. Some additional background, flavour, or fluff would be nice, just to get an idea of what the class is supposed to be.

If you're intending on paladins taking this, you should also probably put in wording to let them multiclass without penalty to it. The revised moral code seems perfectly reasonable, and less likely to interfere with roleplaying and party dynamics than a normal paladin's. Of course, being part paladin, most knights of the second dawn will have to follow the stricter code as well. Minor nitpick on the code: instead of saying that he loses "all abilities", say "all supernatural abilities", since I assume he wouldn't lose BAB or skill points or anything like that. Also, all the class features whould have a Su, Sp, or Ex descriptor on them.

Great name, by the way! :smallwink:

Icewalker
2008-01-20, 02:56 AM
This looks like a really cool idea for a class: someone that relies on the moon for supernatural abilities to fight evil. I also like the two options, for martial adepts and for divine spellcasters. That being said, you should probably write out the spellcasting or maneuver stuff in the class instead of saying 'as usual' or 'refer to'.
Yeah, but those things are like 5 paragraphs long and everyone knows them :smallsigh:

I may do it tomorrow. It's pretty late tonight.

For the prerequisites, it seems like a Ranger/Paladin would have the easiest access. Is that what you were looking for?

Well, the intention was Cleric or Paladin. I can see rangers taking this too though.

Base Attack Bonus: Minor nitpick, but prestige classes don't have iterative attacks on the class table.

I'll fix that now.

Lunar Plate: Interesting, but raises a few questions. Is the plate masterwork to begin with? Can someone else wear it? Can a knight of the second dawn sell it? For how much? Can it be enchanted beyond the class' enhancement bonus?

Most of the answers to these seem pretty obvious (at least to me, but I did make the class), but should be written. I'll add it to the main post tomorrow
The plate is masterwork.
If somebody else wears it, it functions as non-magical plate.
If sold, it would have to be sold as non-magical plate (and the Order would resent the knight pretty hard)
Hmm...enchantment...it shouldn't be, but then it won't be worth using at high enough level...maybe it's enchantment should be improved?

Lunar Strike: Save DCs for special attacks generally are equal to 10 + 1/2 HD (or base class level) + ability modifier; or for prestige classes, 10 + prestige class level + ability modifier. Unless you're looking for the target to never succeed on the check (except on a 20)? Because you're looking at a DC 21 + Cha at level one. The secondary ability seems fine, and uses the right DC.

Well, it is somewhat high, but they aren't really supposed to make it often. Perhaps lower it to 10 + level + cha mod.

Quiet Steps: This is perfectly reasonable, but it seems odd to come at level 4, when it would seem to be something they should start off with. Perhaps making it incremental and raising max Dex by a few points every few levels?

Makes sense.

Inner Moonlight: Excellent, and takes away the situationalness of the class quite handily. The only thing I would say is to make it incremental as well, getting at least 1 use/day as early as maybe 2nd level, and going from there. Otherwise, half of the character's time in the class he'll be completely useless in daylight. :smalleek:

Also makes sense.

Silent Glide: Seems alright, but odd considering that Move Silently and Escape Artist aren't class skills. What would probably be simpler would be a continual freedom of movement effect?

This seems like a far more obvious solution...:smallredface:

Seems pretty reasonable; the only thing I'd consider, if Dexterity is so important to them, might be to consider granting them Evasion at some point? It would certainly fit the theme and help to differentiate them from conventional paladins and the like.

Hmm, cool idea. Probably could get evasion.

In any case, I like the moon-based aspect of the class. Some additional background, flavour, or fluff would be nice, just to get an idea of what the class is supposed to be.

I have a few more unwritten details on the Order, then there is a whole second group, the Crusade of the Red Dusk, who are similar, but ruthless in their attempts to hunt evil to the point of sometimes being evil themselves. ie, killing innocents to attack evil is no problem. The two groups utterly loathe each other, and would go to outright war if they weren't both fighting towards (kinda) the same cause.

If you're intending on paladins taking this, you should also probably put in wording to let them multiclass without penalty to it. The revised moral code seems perfectly reasonable, and less likely to interfere with roleplaying and party dynamics than a normal paladin's. Of course, being part paladin, most knights of the second dawn will have to follow the stricter code as well. Minor nitpick on the code: instead of saying that he loses "all abilities", say "all supernatural abilities", since I assume he wouldn't lose BAB or skill points or anything like that. Also, all the class features whould have a Su, Sp, or Ex descriptor on them.

Yeah. This is reasonable. I never get around to putting those tags on my class features.

Great name, by the way! :smallwink:

Thank you! :smallbiggrin: