PDA

View Full Version : Cool but sorta useless magic enchantment. [Weapon]

Paragon Badger
2008-01-21, 01:41 AM
The warrior's sheathed blade was parallel to his leg, and he looked completely helpless to the armed and formidable drow assassin. Exposing a wicked grin, the dark elf drew his blade away from the surfacer's neck and laid a scratch upon his foe's cheek, the little slice bringing the sharp edge away from the warrior's face long enough to allow a flash of silver to dart between them.

Astonished and caught by surprise, the drow would have fell over, had he not extended a leg to brace himself. The advantage was lost, however, as his opponent was now the one with a confident smile. The dark elf's blade had hewn into the ground from the clash of steel, and it was overlapped by the surfacer's sword.

Looking at the warrior's hip, the elf bit his lip in angry curiosity at how the sword's sheath had dissapeared...

(A little R.A. Salvatore-y, but meh.)

A minor enchantment on the blade allows a unique scabbard to manifest over the blade whenever the user releases their hand from the hilt. Apart from regenerating over the blade if the scabbard is damaged or destroyed, it is otherwise mundane, and can be easily attached to a belt or function as normal scabbards do.

When the user puts their hand on the hilt, the scabbard dissapears and allows the user greater mobility, giving them the advantages of the 'Quick Draw' feat.

Just came to me one day..

Icewalker
2008-01-21, 01:51 AM
Sounds very awesome. I like it. I can also see other bonuses from it, like +initiative, or even sudden strike +xd6.

keyboardboy101
2008-01-25, 12:23 AM
Awesome fluff btw. Probably some of the best I've ever read.

It's not as useless as you make it out to be. Having the quickdraw feat added to a weapon can be extremely useful. +1 weapon enchantment? or a 1,000 gp? It should be specified.

Cieyrin
2008-01-25, 02:57 AM
There is already a similar weapons special ability to this called Eager, from the Magic Item Compendium and I assure you, it is hardly weak. Draw as free action, +2 initiative, +2 damage on 1st round of combat, +1 enhancement.

I'd differentiate it from that to give some nice flavor to it, like an adaptation of Arcana Evolved's First Strike feat, which adds +1d6 damage on the first round of combat only or something like that.

Paragon Badger
2008-01-25, 03:17 AM
Aw. Phooey.

And I thought I was so clever. :smallbiggrin: