PDA

View Full Version : [Race] Faritha'Gani - Burning Souls

Lord_Gareth
2008-01-22, 06:54 AM
The Faritha'Gani are a new race to the playing field of the world, one that, until recently, was enslaved. But, as they are wont to do, they exploded onto the scene, commanding the attention of the world at large immediately.

No one, not even the Faritha'Gani, quite know their own origins. Rumor abounds, of course, and theories fly everywhere - they are descended from solaminths, they are a new breed of elemental, they are possessed humanoids - but none can prove their theory. What is known is for the last three thousand years the Faritha'Gani were slaves to a powerful lich who commanded the elements with grace and skill rarely seen among wizards. The Faritha'Gani chafed under the lich's restrictions, but were bound by spell and contract to the volcanic homes he had given them.

The lich had his own undoing, however, when he taught the first few Faritha'Gani magic. After learning the arts of destruction, they hunted down his phylacteries and seared them from the world, forcing their bony master into his final grave at last with a mighty duel of magic.

Now free, the Faritha'Gani do whatever they want, mostly because they can. Short-lived, fiery, and very much a representation of the element they are so in tune with, it remains to be seen what effect they will have on the world that they walk, but whatever the case is, it is sure to be remembered forever.

Appearence - Compared to humans, Faritha'Gani are even more individualistic, no two of them being even remotely alike. Their eyes run colors from the blue of the hottest flame to an intense orange, and their hair tends to be in various shades of flame. Many have traits reminescent of fire elementals or devils, including cloven feet, burning hair, smoky breath, and even whole limbs and digits composed of elemental flame.

Alignment - The Faritha'Gani do not have an alignment that they tend to as a race, but they are extremists. Nuetral Faritha'Gani are not only rare, they are very near to impossible to find. The Burning Souls find a stance and defend it with a flaming passion.

Racial Features

+2 Intelligenge, +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution, -2 Wisdom. The Faritha'Gani have quick minds and think and live with a passion that often draws others into their wake, but their souls and blood burn too brightly for their bodies to handle and it is a rare occasion when one actually thinks a plan of action through.

Humanoid (Fire): Faritha'Gani are immune to fire and take half-again as much damage from cold.

Medium. As medium creatures, Faritha'Gani have no penalties or bonuses associated with their size.

Base Speed 30

Immolate (Su): The Faritha'Gani always burns just below the surface, and it is easy for them to unleash the fire within, wreathing their entire body in flames. As an immediate action, the Faritha'Gani may burst into flames, dealing 1d6 points of damage to anyone striking her with a nonreach melee weapon or who is in a grapple with her. Nonmetal equipment worn or held by the Faritha'Gani takes this damage as well, and may ignite as per normal rules for fire.

Boiling Blood (Su): The average body temperature of a Faritha'Gani is far, far higher than any human's, much to their enemies' dismay. An opponent who strikes a Faritha'Gani in melee with a nonreach slashing weapon or attack takes 1d6 points of fire damage as the boiling-hot blood sears their skin. If a Faritha'Gani wishes, she may coat her melee weapon in the blood for a single round, provided it deals piercing or slashing damage, dealing an additional 1d6 points of fire damage with it, though the action deals her 1d4 points of damage.

Burning Potence (Su) - When preparing or casting fire spells with metamagic feats, the spell slot used is one lower than it would normally be for a Faritha'Gani.

Sunfire Wrath (Su): The Faritha'Gani may never learn, cast, or use items or spells with the cold descriptor or that deal cold damage. When using or casting items or spells that deal fire damage, the Faritha'Gani deals an additional 1d6 points of damage per level of the spell in addition to the spell's other effects.

+2 Racial Bonus on all Craft checks involving fire.
+2 Racial Bonus on Knowledge (The Planes [Fire Elemental]) and Knowledge (The Planes [The Nine Hells]) checks. Those skills are considered class skills for all Faritha'Gani characters.

Smoldering (Su): A Faritha'Gani may choose to shed light as a lantern.

Languages - Common, Ignan. Bonus Languages: Celestial, Infernal, Terran, Aquan, Auran.

Favored Class: Sorcerer

Level Adjustment: +1

Lady Tialait
2008-01-22, 07:45 AM
well, if the (Fire) subtype acted normally (no Fire, double cold) i'd say a powerful LA 0...or a weak LA 1....as is a weak LA 1 add a few more problems with them or give them some extra abilities and it'll look good.

but that is just me.

Lord_Gareth
2008-01-22, 10:12 AM
Fire Subtype: A creature with the fire subtype has immunity to fire. It has vulnerability to cold, which means it takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from cold, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.

With that in mind, what would you add to step up their game?

SilentNight
2008-01-22, 11:18 AM
Maybe give them some fire based spell-like abilities. Maybe burning hads or my personal favorite produce flame. Combined with pyrotechnics=awesome. Maybe give them the heat quality when wielding metal weapons. Check out the azer and salamanders for some others.

Lord_Gareth
2008-01-22, 11:25 AM
Hrmm..I wanna keep with the heat being concentrated in the blood. Perhaps something like -

Burning Resurgance - The Faritha'Gani's blood burns hot and potent, and as more is shed to return power to its owner, they can call spells back to them. For every 10% that they fall below full normal health, the Faritha'Gani may recall one spent spell or spell slot. This spell (or spell slot) must be (or be used to cast) a spell that deals fire damage.

SilentNight
2008-01-22, 03:03 PM
Nice, it might qualify them for a +1 LA. Is it scaled like 10% below= a first level spell and so forth?

Lord_Gareth
2008-01-22, 03:05 PM
No - 10% buys you any spell slot. But consider also that 10% starts getting a lot bigger as they level as well.

Icewalker
2008-01-22, 11:03 PM
Yes yes...also very cool. Definitely going to make a mercenary group of these guys. The Faritha'Gani is probably not a sorcerer, but a fighting class, actually, because that burning blood on your own weapon deal is pretty awesome. Perhaps at a lower level...

JakStone
2008-01-22, 11:17 PM
Hmm, I'm beginning to notice a theme here...:smallwink:

I'd say these are fine at LA +1 right now. I'd argue they're actually on the higher end of LA +1, but nowhere near high enough to warrant +2. Adding Burning Resurgence, however, would def. bump them up an LA, so I'd say leave as-is.

Lord_Gareth
2008-01-23, 06:59 AM
Incidentally, the apostrophe is there as part of the fluff that I'm holding back. They shortened the "scientific" names the lich gave them.

Lord_Gareth
2008-02-17, 03:55 PM
Bump so I can find this ^_^