PDA

View Full Version : Eberron's Kin IC



MandibleBones
2008-01-22, 10:53 PM
EDIT: You are all somewhere IN this lightning rail coach - one of the people on their own. /EDIT

Karrnathh, 998 YK
Two years after the last war

The coach is nearly empty this afternoon as the lightning rail makes its final trip of the day from Atur to Korth. The few occupants mostly keep to themselves, though a family of native Karrns huddles together to ward off the cold, and the conductor, a gnome whose Zilargo tunic looks out of place under the thick-furred coat he wears, plays Conqueror with a lanky human who looks vaguely Reidran. Others sleep or read to pass the time as the snow-covered trees of the Nightwood flash by, anxious to be back in safety of the capital before nightfall.

Suddenly there is a crash, as if some ancient god grumbled in the depths of Khyber, and the coach rolls twice before slamming to a stop on its side. The wind howls from beyond the broken roof of the cabin - the wind, or perhaps the wolves or worse hunting deep in the forest. One thing is obvious: this train isn't going anywhere.

And the sun is beginning to set.

Valairn
2008-01-23, 09:08 AM
Wildmane

Wildmane pulls himself upright, checking himself for any damage, before he begins to look through the cabin checking on every person he can find making sure they are okay and not pinned against anything. He speaks up saying, "Is everyone okay?"

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-23, 11:33 AM
Hunter

A dark-skinned humanoid figure raises up from a broken chair. He dusts off the heavy leather coat that drapes his form before pulling up his hood and looking around the rest of the cabin. Wish I had more time.. Guess this'll have to do. A pair of gloved hands reach out toward his seat as the man steadies himself. He speaks in a low, but strangely elegant, tone. "Any of you lot left alive? Other than the kid back there, I mean."

He slowly picks his way across the cabin and toward the exit. His leather breeches don't interfere with his light steps, and he moves so as to not disturb anyone else. His cloak covers his face to the best of it's ability, and he appears as little more than another human.

Taking 10 on a Disguise check before leaving his place. DC 18 Spot to notice he's not human.

Fax Celestis
2008-01-23, 04:13 PM
Caleb

What looks to be a miniaturized wingless white dragon clambers out from under a pile of what probably was luggage. He shakes his head and holds it, probably due to a headache. Shaking it off, he snaps his teeth angrily and attempts to find a way out of their now-prison.

"I'm alright, at the very least," he says with a command of language that seems strange coming from one who appears so savage.

Closer inspection reveals a punching dagger at his hip, though it does not appear well-used. Perhaps he shows a preference for his more natural bite when he needs a weapon. Perhaps he has another means of protecting himself.

Valairn
2008-01-23, 06:04 PM
Wildmane

Wildmane stand ups straight from his crouched position, and then it becomes clear he is not human. True to his name sake, a mane of thick hair flows off his head and a face that resembles a tiger. The mane turns into fur the rest of the way down, except where covered by a very simple set of traveler's clothing. He shakes a bit as if readjusting his balance.

Two kukri's are in sheaths tied just above his knees, as if to draw them from a crouch. He speaks up again, "Its going to get very cold soon, we should find a place where we can keep warm for the night. But first we need to find out how many people in this cabin are alright, and how many need care."

He shakes himself off again, before continuing his search, trying to account for everyone he remembered seeing.

Fax Celestis
2008-01-23, 06:22 PM
Caleb

"If you're worried about the cold, then maybe leaving the cab is a bad idea." He smiles a toothy grin before continuing, "Thankfully I don't need to worry about the cold."

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-23, 06:32 PM
Hunter

Hunter grins when he hears the wildman talk about helping other people. No one on this train even cares about his kind. Damn idealistic youngsters. "Ya, you.. Have fun with that." Hunter crawls out of the hole in the top of the lightning rail. He takes a moment to gauge where they've fallen, then climbs up on top of the cabin to look all around the broken machine. "Just great.. Hey, bat-thing. Think you can climb up here and.. I dunno. Fly or somethin'?"

Fax Celestis
2008-01-23, 07:02 PM
Caleb

"My name's Caleb, and yes, I can fly." He lifts his arms, revealing patagia that appear they could suffice for wings. He clambers out on top with Hunter, cursing in a variety of languages1 as he gets caught on his way up, and looks around. "Question is, where'd I fly to?"

1Auran and Ignan are his curse-languages of choice, for those interested.

MandibleBones
2008-01-23, 07:13 PM
The lightning rail coach lies on its side, and as Hunter clambers out, he can see the track ahead of the coach has been destroyed. Several of the crystals that made up the track are simply gone, as if some massive explosion had knocked them loose and sent them flying, but there are no scorch marks. Snow blankets the ground. Caleb finds that he can glide around just fine, but the wind strains on him - flying any great distance in this weather is likely to be nearly impossible.

Back in the coach, the family wails around one of their children, who appears to be trapped under a pile of luggage.

The gnome conductor shakes his head, as if to clear it. Of his gaming partner there is no sign.

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-23, 07:16 PM
"Fly up. I need a point of reference to find out where the hell we are." He largely ignores the family's wailing. He doesn't have time for things that can't take care of themselves. "If you see anything dangerous, be sure to shout 'bout it."

Fax Celestis
2008-01-23, 07:35 PM
Caleb

"I'll do more than shout," Caleb says, pulling out a wand from under his cloak before attempting to find some sort of landmark to pinpoint their location from.

Caleb, like Hunter, will ignore the squalling family. Someone else will take care of it; I can help us get out of this mess.

Valairn
2008-01-23, 09:34 PM
Wildmane

Wildmane growls at the hunter, but says nothing. The damn wretch should know better than to smart off to strangers, others are not as forgiving.

Looking to the child though, he moves to clear the luggage away, being careful to move it slowly to not upset any possible injuries the child may have. Looking to the family he says softly, "Gather clothing the temperature is going to drop and it will become quite cold."

After clearing the luggage away, he moves over to the gnome, he asks simply, "Are you alright?"

MandibleBones
2008-01-23, 10:55 PM
The gnome pats himself down. "I guess so," he says. "Where are we?" He starts heading toward the hole in the roof.

As Caleb flies up, he can see (through the blizzard) that the forest stretches on for some distance in either way. To what he can only guess is the east (since the sun is setting the other way), he can just make out the edge of the forest. What remains of the tracks heads toward the north out of site. To the south and the west is forest.

It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Fax Celestis
2008-01-24, 12:30 AM
Caleb

"Forest in all directions. Tracks heading north, but the visible edge of the forest to the west. Can't get anything beyond that: the snow's too bad," Caleb says with some frustration.

Jacob Orlove
2008-01-24, 12:34 AM
Tam

With a moan, a young woman rises to her feet from behind some fallen luggage, rubbing her forehead. Her brown eyes are alert, though, and she quickly scans the coach from behind her raised hand, a minor misdirection performed almost automatically. She finishes the motion by brushing her long black hair back and looking up, where she notices the dark-skinned man through the broken roof. Remembering him vaguely from when they boarded, she asks, "What happened? Some kind of accident?"

Linnea wears a warm set of traveling clothes in dark browns and blacks and a cloak of dark, mottled gray, with no obvious weapons. She appears human at first glance, but a more careful inspection shows the slightly pointed ears and eyes of a half-elf.

Tam took 10 on his Disguise check before leaving on this trip. DC 22 to notice anything off about "her" appearance, but you've had the whole ride to spot it.

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-24, 07:05 AM
Hunter

"Thanks little guy. At least one of us is gonna get this lot outta here alive.." He looks about from behind his goggles. He didn't have the same range on his darkvision as his brethren, but he was still better suited to this darkness than the girl or the hairy catman. That winged lizard thing was definitely his best friend right now.

Hunter closes both his eyes and brings his hands together in a strange prayer-like stance. He grows quiet as he focuses his attention on his nose. Soon, his mind expands to encompass a new sense. A powerful sense of smell. Hunter hopes down and sniffs around for anything important, then looks toward the girl and the catman. "Ya. Something broke the tracks. Either way.. We need a plan to get out of here."

The dark-skinned man looks over everyone inside the cabin, and then notes the one missing passenger. He sniffs around for a human scent, then speaks his peace plainly. "So we've got four gnomes, a catguy, girly over there, and my new best friend. My plan is simple, we hole up in here for the night and head out in the morning. We'll head northwest until we're outta the forest, then follow the tracks to the nearest town or village. Then ya'll be home free, alright?"

Hunter doesn't bother scrutinizing the half-elf or anyone else for that matter. He just takes people at face value.

He has assumed Hunter's Sense stance.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-01-24, 10:27 AM
Another figure then makes herself known, pulling herself out from beneath some seats.

She is a slender waif of a girl well on her way to womanhood but still of the bright, smooth complexion of youth. She is short and delicate seeming, almost as if a doll had been enlarged. Her long hair is dark brown and curly, with a dark blue ribbon holding it together in back. Her eyes are of a blue so dark as to be almost black, and full of expression and empathy, along with something else thats difficult to place. Her face is thin and pale, almost tired seeming, with dimpled cheeks.

She wears a somber but stylish dress of some light, dark brown material that reaches nearly to her ankles. It possesses but a few frills and laces so that it is fashionable but tasteful. A sort of light, hose-like netting fits tightly over her arms and between her fingers. A thick, black cloak with a large hood completes the ensemble. Upon her feet are healed, button-up boots with pointed toes that raises her height to about 5'4". Around her neck is a tiny, silver chain with an exquisitely wrought rose pendant.


The girl appears slightly dazed and stands shakily before taking a deep breath to steady herself. Hearing the frightened wails of the children she makes her way in that direction in time to see the luggage being pulled off. She gives it a look over to see if it appears hurt.

MandibleBones
2008-01-24, 11:08 AM
The child being pulled out from under the luggage is dazed but alive - one leg twists at an odd angle and the young boy's face is a rictus of pain, but he appears to have escaped worse injury. The family looks at Rose in thanks for her concern as she approaches.

The gnome listens to Hunter thoughtfully, tilting his head.

"Not a bad plan," he conceeds. "I don't like the idea of being out here during the night, but it certainly beats being caught out there," he says, pointing to the hole.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-01-24, 11:23 AM
"Shhh, shhh..." Rose says, smiling comfortingly at the child. She gingerly lies a hand on his leg and grips her pendant with the other, whispering a prayer.

A faint, cheerful glow spreads over the limb as she gently strokes it.

Giving up Magic Weapon to cast Cure Light Wounds to heal [roll0] damage.

MandibleBones
2008-01-24, 11:42 AM
The child's leg snaps back to the place its supposed to be so fast the boy doesn't even have time to shout out. The glow removes any trace of his injury, as well as the bruises, and even clears up the cold sore on his lip.

He tackles Rose's leg and clings on like the world would end if she went a way. A silent thanks passes between the child's mother and Rose.

Valairn
2008-01-24, 12:28 PM
Wildmane

Wildmane does his best to smile in Rose's direction, he speaks and says, "Thank you, I've never possessed any talent at healing people, with or without magic, and I'm sorry I could do nothing for him."

Then turning his head he spoke more generally, "If we plan on staying here tonight, we will need to have someone watch the exit, I am not a fan of the idea of wolves being able to sneak up on us while we sleep. I can take first watch, since we will be traveling tomorrow, we should have shorter watches so everyone can get enough sleep. Four two hour watches should give everyone more than enough time to rest and be ready. There is moderate safety in numbers as well, it would be wisest if we all moved together tomorrow. Is this to everyone's liking or should another plan be used?"

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-01-24, 12:29 PM
Rose nods slightly with a smile to the mother and after a minute of stroking the child's hair she tries to disentangle from it and hand it back to it's mother.

"Don't worry, it's alright now..." she says encouragingly. She then glances to the gaping hole in the side of the train and murmurs to herself, her brave facade wavering momentarily, "As long as another train doesn't fall on us..."

She stands and makes her way over to the hole and examines it, pulling the cloak about herself as the cool wind blows through.

"I... might be able to do something with it." she says hesitantly. "Though the doors would also need to be watched. At least if we close this though we'll keep warmer. Can any of you push some of the tears back together? Will make it easier..."

MandibleBones
2008-01-24, 01:08 PM
The gnome looks at Wildmane eerily. "Don't you worry, friend. There's no coaches after dark in Karrnath."

At Rose's words, he rummages around in a bag by his feat. Painted on the side of the canvas container is a faded legend: 'Emergency Bag.' He pulls out a tiny-looking wand.

"If we can put some debris against the holes, I might be able to jury-rig something," he says. "No promises, but we can try."

Jacob Orlove
2008-01-24, 03:22 PM
Tam

Linnea looks at Hunter strangely. "Something broke the tracks? We should investigate, before the snow buries everything." she says, obviously more concerned about figuring out what happened than with tending to the injured.

She wraps herself in her gray cloak, and blends easily into the swirling snow as she steps outside the coach. Seeing Caleb, she shouts "Any sign of what caused this?" before she turns to comb the site of the blast for anything out of place.

Tam is looking for footprints, if he can find any in the blizzard, and any other clues that turn up. He's going to take his time looking around, unless he has to hurry before the snow covers everything up. If it's too cold even with his winter clothes, he'll use his potion of Endure Elements, but only if it's actually necessary, not just if he's uncomfortable.

MandibleBones
2008-01-24, 06:21 PM
The cold bites at Tam, but at least for now, with the sun low in the sky, it is bearable. Upon closer inspection, track does show signs of tampering, as if some massive, heatless explosion blasted the crystals apart. Several additional crystals are missing in the distance, with a similar blast radius.

As the wind whips by, sounding almost like whispers, you get the oddest feeling that someone is watching you.

Make a will save, please.

Fax Celestis
2008-01-24, 06:46 PM
Caleb

"This isn't natural or an accident, if that's what you're asking," Caleb says, landing back on the cab. "Gettin' a bit too windy for flight 'round now." He shakes off some snow, like a dog after swimming. "We doin' watches? I'll take the one near midnight. I'm better with cold than you folks. Kinda natural for me, y'kno?" He flashes a toothy grin, then pauses. He glances over towards a snowbank and points with a clawed finger. "I did see something that looked body-shaped over there. I'm going to go see what it is," he says and begins walking to the indicated spot.

Jacob Orlove
2008-01-24, 07:25 PM
Tam

"It's foul play for certain. But who's responsible?" Linnea agrees, tilting her head sideways to look at Caleb with some astonishment. She smiles weakly at his grin, clearly somewhat frightened, and unsure how to handle this strange creature. "What are you?" Her eyes light up, as though something has suddenly occurred to her. "And is everyone from inside the car accounted for?" she asks, following Caleb.

Will save: [roll0] (add+2 if it's a Sleep or Charm effect). This could get interesting!

Also, bluff check to fake being somewhat frightened: [roll1]

Fax Celestis
2008-01-24, 07:42 PM
Caleb

"I'm a new breed of dragon, if you will, born from a white dragon mother who abandoned me when I was young for my strange makeup. Bahamut has since blessed me with His favor and has granted me some of His powers as my own." Caleb shakes his head. "It's complicated."

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-24, 08:15 PM
Hunter

The man looks at 'Linnea' with a scowl when she acts scared. He doesn't say anything, however, and just looks toward Caleb. "And here I thought you were just a bat-thing that could fly. Ah well.."

He moves over toward the tear, but doesn't try and pull on it. "I don't think I can move that, but I am willing to take the watch before and after the dragon-thing. I slept on the trip, so I should be good for tonight."

Hunter points toward where Caleb is walking. "Theres our gnome friend's gaming partner. He isn't bleeding, as far as I know. And catguy, you need a bath."

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-01-24, 08:42 PM
Rose is content to remain within where its warm(er) and glances about for loose bits to gather up for the gnome.

MandibleBones
2008-01-24, 09:16 PM
Between the luggage and the debris, there's plenty to gather - the gnome starts welding it over all but one of the openings to the coach with the wand. It doesn't look like it's very sturdy, but it might keep the wind out.

Caleb reaches the face-down figure, and it seems to be the gnome's partner at Conquerer. He's breathing, but appears to be unconscious.

Caleb, make a spot check.

Fax Celestis
2008-01-24, 10:27 PM
Caleb helps the prone figure to his feet, if possible. Otherwise, he'll attempt to carry him inside.

Spot (1d20-1=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1472279/) Blind as a bat-thing, apparently.

Valairn
2008-01-24, 10:44 PM
Wildmane

Wildmane looks at the hunter and his hand falls quite close to his weapon, but his demeanor doesn't change in the slightest. After a short moment passes, he speaks, "You know nothing of me, and I know nothing of you, your insult is baseless, seeing as I regularly clean myself and am fully aware of the effect of fur upon how I might smell and I take measures to fix that. While its nice that you feel free enough to speak your mind, a random desire to insult strangers is probably a poor trait in a person, if not outright idiotic."

"I don't know if you noticed, but these weapons I carry, have been used and used properly for quite some time, to do what they do best, ceasing the life of whomever I choose. I have no particular inclination to cause you harm, but if it comes down to you or anyone else in this tram, you are at the bottom of the list of people I would help if the situation were to become dangerous. Trust me when I say, this would have been different if you had shown a bit of restraint and a modicum of intelligence in the way you have chosen to speak to me. When you sit watch, I will sit watch, I don't trust you for a second to do what's right for anyone in this tram other than yourself."

MandibleBones
2008-01-24, 10:57 PM
Caleb helps the dazed man to his feet, and turns to watch the argument develop. As Wildmane gets to "Other than yourself," a flurry of snow and light brown fur bursts from the treeline and leaps at Caleb.

Mountain lion bite attack; mountain lion grapple assuming a hit with the bite (Free action due to improved grapple) (1d20+6=24, 1d20+5=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1472302/) Bite damage (1d6 3=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1472307/)

Surprise round is over. Everyone who wants to be involved roll initiative. Mountain lion goes on 12.

Valairn
2008-01-24, 11:24 PM
Wildmane

The words he speaks are lost as he moves into action. He rushes forward, drawing his kukri's as if they had already been in his hands anyway, he says nothing and his expression doesn't change for a moment. He draws extremely close to the animal before unleashing attacks upon it.

Wildmane drops into the stance Blood in the Water. He uses a move action to draw near to the mountain lion, and draws his weapons during the move. When he closes he uses Wolf Fang Strike to attack with both weapons at an additional -2 penalty to attack roll.

All of this is accounted for in my rolling.

Initiative: [roll0]
To Hit with Main Hand: [roll1]
Damage with Main Hand if Hit: [roll2]
To Hit with Off Hand: [roll3]
Damage with Off Hand: [roll4]

Jacob Orlove
2008-01-24, 11:30 PM
Tam

Linnea shakes her head at Caleb's explanation, putting it out of her mind. It is too much like something out of a wonder-play. She strains to get a good look at the fallen figure, but the flying snow makes it difficult.

Then the mountain lion springs onto the dragon-man from the trees. Linnea's hand moves calmly to a puch on her belt, and she scans the trees for any further threats as she prepares to cast a spell.

Initiative: [roll0]
Free spot [roll1] and listen [roll2] checks (from Quick Reconnoiter).
How close is Tam to the grapple?

Fax Celestis
2008-01-25, 12:34 AM
Caleb successfully manages to not let the beast pin him, though he is bitten in the process.1 He moves away from the beast2 and speaks a word of power3.

Initiative (1d20+1=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1472358/) Remaining HP: 20.
1Grapple (1d20-3=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1472356/)
25' step. Caleb draws his punching dagger as he moves.
3Caleb is casting Power Word: Pain. No save, SR Yes.1d4=2, 1d4=2, 1d4=4, 1d4=2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1472363/) Less than 50 HP: duration is 10 rounds. 51-75 HP: duration is 4 rounds. 76-100 HP: 2 rounds. First four rounds of damage (1d6=4, 1d6=4, 1d6=3, 1d6=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1472364/): 4 now, 4 on my next initiative count. Anyone who speaks Draconic recognizes his utterance as the Draconic word for "pain".

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-25, 05:47 AM
Hunter

The man jumps up at the cat's attack. He assumes a different stance, but doesn't seem armed. A blade--curved and long as a shortsword--leaps into his hand as he puts himself between the lion and the rest of the people in the tram. He's certainly not going to jump the thing when everyone else is already doing well enough, but they can't bury someone tonight. He keeps a close watch on everything around them, ready to move the moment something presents itself as a threat.

Move action to move to the broken area, he'll draw his longknife in the process of moving. Swift action to change stance to Island of Blades. Ready action to stab an animal that gets within 5 feet.

Initiative - [roll0]

MandibleBones
2008-01-25, 09:28 AM
As everyone swings into action, Wildmane bursts toward the cat, quickly turning it from a raging ball of fur into... well, not living. Definitely not living.

Tam:
Though you cannot hear much over the din of the quick combat, you scan the treeline easily enough. The cat seems to have been alone, though you can't see more than 10 feet or so into the woods.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-01-25, 10:06 AM
Rose hears the screams and shouts, but by the time she's leaned forward to peek through the debris being shoved into the roof's hole the combat is already over.

"What's happening out there?" she attempts to call above the wind.

Valairn
2008-01-25, 11:24 AM
Wildmane

He draws his kukris out of the animal, before he cleans the blades in the snow for a moment and sheathes them again. Looking at Caleb he asked, "Are you alright?"

Jacob Orlove
2008-01-25, 11:44 AM
Tam

Linnea shouts back to Rose. "Some kind of wild animal attacked. It looks like we've got something to eat for dinner now."

Satisfied that there's no further threat from the beast, and nothing else about to jump out of the woods at them, she nevertheless begins the gestures and incantations of some kind of spell, then goes back to examining the wreckage.

Casting Detect Magic to examine the blast site a bit more, then check out the inside of the coach (casting it again as necessary). Still looking for clues, or anything else suspicious.

Fax Celestis
2008-01-25, 12:15 PM
Caleb

"I'm a little scratched up," he says, indicating a small gash on his arm, "but I think I'll manage. Damned thing caught me by surprise. Ah well. Waste not, want not," he continues and starts dragging the corpse inside.

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-25, 12:27 PM
Hunter

The dark-skinned man takes a moment to re-focus himself. Then motions toward the cat-man. "Guess it was that cat I was smellin', not you. And it's a good thing you don't trust me, 'cause I got no obligation to get you out of here alive. But think about this rationally. If you don't trust me, then how can you trust my little dragon-friend there? Or the city-slicker for that matter?" Hunter jabs a thumb at Caleb and Linnea in when he remarks about the dragon and the city slicker. "It's not like either of them is all up in arms to protect these gnomes and girly back there. In fact.. I seem to be the only one who stayed back here to protect 'em."

Hunter slides the longknife back into it's sheath, a small leather holder attached to his right hip, and turns toward the little girl. "Are any of these people in danger if we move them? Will any of them be able to move in the mornin'?"

He re-assumes the Hunter's Sense stance.

Valairn
2008-01-25, 01:01 PM
Wildmane

Wildmane looks at Caleb, making sure he is as fine as he says he is, before he helps him drag the corpse. He looks at the hunter and says, "Its not a matter of trust, its a matter of conflict, your choice of words alarmed me, as they were hostile towards me and if you are willing to be hostile to a complete stranger who's done nothing to harm you, then you are not far off from running at the first sign of trouble. You have proven to me otherwise, and so the matter for me is done, if you care to end it then I will act as if the exchange of words never occurred."

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-25, 01:22 PM
Hunter

"Well now that we're all on the same page.. We need to talk about some things. First of all, we can't bring that corpse inside. Corpses attract predators, which we don't want to deal with when we're sleepin'. My suggestion is a simple fix. We cook most of it but we cut off a leg. Then we leave the leg outside the cabin as bait for tonight. A carnivore goes after the easiest meal, and a cluster of two-legs isn't as easy as a foot danglin' on a rope."

MandibleBones
2008-01-25, 02:59 PM
Though the detect magic spell reveals little beyond a glimmer of magic-that-might-have-been from Caleb's nearly-cast defensive spell, a closer inspection of the blast site reveals something odd. It looks like the snow in the site itself is hard and packed, whereas the snow around is like powder. Something truly cold may have caused this break in the line.

The little boy who Rose healed earlier approaches Caleb, and after peering precociously at the upper-arm wound (it looks like the cat was aiming for the neck and missed) for almost a full minute, solemnly presents the winged creature with a wooden sword.

"Don't die, okay?" he says, pushing the wooden thing toward Caleb hilt-first. "This keeps you safe."

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-01-25, 03:22 PM
Rose, grinning from ear to ear, gives Caleb an 'awwwww' look as she checks over the wound.


OOC: Don't even think about making Rose the band-aid of the group :smallwink:

Fax Celestis
2008-01-25, 03:53 PM
Caleb smiles in as non-frightening a way as possible and accepts the child's gift, sliding it into his belt at his hip. He ignores the wound, ruffles the kid's hair and nods to Hunter's idea.

MandibleBones
2008-01-25, 04:05 PM
The kid smiles and walks contentedly back to his family. You can see a matching wood sword strapped to his back; an empty rope sheath across it where your new weapon must have been stored.

The sun has nearly set, and the gnome throws the wand down in disgust.

"That's about all of that," he grumbles. "It should keep the wind out as much as possible, but we might think about getting a fire going or something outside if we want to eat tonight."

Fax Celestis
2008-01-25, 04:54 PM
Caleb

"Fetch me some wood, then. I have many talents." He breathes a short gout of flame to demonstrate.

Jacob Orlove
2008-01-26, 04:03 AM
Tam

Linnea walks back to the others in time for Caleb's fire-breathing demonstration. Curiously, she seems unimpressed, but sends a wary glance towards the trees. "Fetch wood? From the forest? I don't like the looks of that place. There could be more wild beasts waiting to ambush us. Or worse, whoever caused this wreck could still be around. And speaking of that, the snow at the blast site is packed solid, and there's no scorch marks anywhere. This was no ordinary explosion."

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-26, 11:16 AM
Hunter

"I'll do it."

The man crawls out the front of the cabin and stretches abit. He looks back in case anyone follows him. Regardless of whether anyone does, he sniffs the air and then scans the forest edge for any sign of movement. If he doesn't see or hear anything, then he'll slowly make his way to the forest edge and gather up some wood.

Spot/Listen - [roll0] / [roll1]
Hide/Move Silently - [roll2] / [roll3]

Searching for adequate wood - [roll4]

MandibleBones
2008-01-26, 01:27 PM
Hunter slinks off into the woods, making no sound and seeming to blend into the shadows themselves. The light footprints in the snow are the only mark of his passing.

About ten yards into the clearing, dead branches begin to line the ground, half-covered in snow. In a windy forest such as this, it takes Hunter little time to gather the needed wood - and yet, he can't shake the feeling that someone is still watching him, but every time he catches a glimpse of something in the corner of his eye, it's gone when he turns to look at it.

A sniff of the air tells him that none of the cats are near, but the smell of blood is stronger here, a trail leading to the base of a large tree perhaps twenty feet away, where something that looks suspiciously like a body sits.

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-26, 07:50 PM
Hunter

The dark skinned man drops a bundle of sticks just outside the cabin door before pulling it open and sticking his head inside. "I'm back and I got your sticks, dragon."

He turns his hooded face toward Rose. "Hey, girly. How much do you know about dead guys?"

Fax Celestis
2008-01-26, 08:25 PM
Caleb

Caleb smiles, stacks the wood into something that'll burn easily in a place that people will want to be around, and ignites it with an exhalation.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-01-26, 08:39 PM
Rose goes a little pale and her expression is of dread.

"Oh no, who's died?" she says quietly, glancing at the children nearby and seems to be counting before turning back to the hunter.

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-26, 08:53 PM
Hunter

"It's not a gnome. I found a guy--human--little ways in the forest. Looks like the lion got him pretty bad. We gotta move the corpse away, or we'll get predators comin' round for a free meal. I figure you know a prayer or somethin' to keep bad luck away. And hey, catguy, I might need help moving the fool."

He guides Rose and anyone else who wants to come along to the body.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-01-26, 09:03 PM
"Quickly then, lead me to where you found him..." she says, running for the exit. She pauses at Hunter and looks him in the eye before she passes and points a finger up at him.
"And it is Rose, not 'girly', got that?"

Valairn
2008-01-26, 09:08 PM
Wildmane

Wildmane smiles a bit, catguy... its actually a bit funny. "The name is Wildmane, and I don't believe I caught yours, if you don't mind telling me, it would be easier than saying hey you, guy who can smell stuff."

Wildmane wastes no time, he picks the body up and takes it to wherever the hunter indicates.

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-27, 09:24 AM
Hunter

Instead of eyes, only the cold reflection of Rose's face can been seen against Hunter's goggles. "Right. Rose."

Hunter wastes no time guiding them to the corpse. This time, he doesn't hide so that neither Wildmane nor Rose gets lost. He does, however, walk as quietly as possible.

"Found 'im here. Best I can figure is that he's a hunter. I figure the lion nabbed 'im. And he ran away." Hunter points toward the bite wound to add credence to his theory. "And my name isn't important. If you need something to call me, then just call me Hunter."

Valairn
2008-01-27, 12:00 PM
Wildmane

"Hunter is fine. Where do you want me to put the body?"

Jacob Orlove
2008-01-27, 02:48 PM
Tam

'Linnea' warms herself at the fire, shaking her head in distaste as the others head out into the woods. After a few minutes, she sets out into the swirling snow herself, to investigate the second blast site in the distance, and see how similar it is to the first.

***

Tam grows worried; this disguise was only going to be one-use, meant for the casual scrutiny of a rail coach, but not designed to hold up under the stresses of an investigation, or a night in the wilderness. Already it was coming apart at the seams. He just had to hope no one noticed that he was pretending to be afraid of the woods, yet willing to venture alone into the blizzard. Still, what choice did he have? He couldn't change his demeanor from how he had been acting before the crash, but he would need to make a full report to his superiors about the event.

Is it getting dark? If so, Tam will get out a lantern and some oil from his pack.

MandibleBones
2008-01-27, 04:10 PM
It is indeed getting dark; the sun has set. Tam's lantern bobs through the show as the changeling heads toward the second blast site in the distance. This site looks much the same as the first, down to the packed snow around the crater.

Jacob Orlove
2008-01-28, 01:39 AM
Tam

Finding nothing of import, Linnea heads back the way she came, to wait for the rest to return from the woods. Once back, she hangs up the lantern inside the ruined coach, for a bit of light, and introduces herself to Caleb while waiting for the others to return, "Hi again. I guess we're stuck here for a while. I go by Linnea; what's your name?"

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-01-28, 08:23 AM
"Looks like he died this morning." Rose says softly. "I wonder why the cat didn't try to eat him..."

She grasps her pendant and lowers her head, saying a prayer over the man.

MandibleBones
2008-01-28, 09:46 AM
The body shudders as Rose speaks to her goddess, horror crossing its face, and then lies peacefully still. All who watch get the sense that something wrong has been made right, if only for a moment.

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-28, 10:08 AM
Hunter

".. Guess I was right to get you, huh?" He off-handedly remarks to Rose. He speaks as if he were speaking of the weather or the color of Rose's dress.

Without a word further, the dark-skinned man grabs the corpses' legs and begins dragging it downwind from the crash site. He tries to position the body so that it's scent overlays their camp, and thus a predator that smells it would go for the easier meal rather than them.

"I dunno, gir--Rose. Most predators I know of just eat whatever's nearby. Dead or living, elfling or human, it's all a three-course meal, no?"

Hunter leads the two of them back to the cabin. He doesn't retrieve a torch or lantern, but he does make a show of sniffing about. He's really just using the movement as a cover to glance about.

When they return to the thrown over train coach, Hunter takes a seat abit further than necessary from the lantern. "You should really avoid taking that lantern out and about. Carrying a little yellow ball is like lining your pockets with meat."

Forgot to note the "Keen Elven Senses" on my sheet. So spot/listen checks are actually at a +2.

Spot/Listen - [roll0]/[roll1]

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-01-29, 10:07 AM
Rose's eyes flick open and she jerks her head to stare at the corpse as it reacts to the prayer.

She gives it a long look but glances up as Hunter speaks.
"Yes, just my point... why did it attack us when it already had a full meal as it were?"

-=-=-=-=-

Knowledge: religion check = [roll0]

She also casts Deathwatch.

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-29, 11:08 AM
Hunter

The man looks up when Rose speaks. He isn't looking at her, but more in an upward direction. Beneath his hood, shadowed from the light of the lantern, his ears twitch as he listens intently. He as quiet as possible, Hunter puts up his index finger and presses it to his lips, an international inter-species sign of "quiet". Eventually he makes another strange hand-gesture, making a 'mouth' with his right hand and thumb, to indicate for her to keep speaking.

Hunter stands and slinks toward the exit. He quietly draws the longknife and turns toward Wildmane. He mouths the words "someone is outside". If Rose is still quiet, he makes the sign to tell her to keep talking.

I dunno what kind of skill check sign language would be.. So.. Bluff VS Sense Motive to understand it?

1st Sign(Shh) - [roll0]
2nd Sign(Keep Talking) - [roll1]
3rd Sign(Pretend nothing is wrong) - [roll2]

Hide/Move Silently - [roll3]/[roll4]

Valairn
2008-01-29, 12:16 PM
Wildmane

Wildmane acknowledges Hunter with a slight nod, and lifts his hands and places them on his knees close to his weapons, but makes no motion to draw them. He listens closely to see if he can hear what Hunter hears.

Listen: [roll0]

Jacob Orlove
2008-01-29, 01:00 PM
Tam

Noticing Hunter's caution, Linnea rises to her feet as well, and silently follows him towards the entrance, one hand on the pouches at her waist.

Is everyone back in the coach? Or are you guys still in the woods? I can't tell for sure. If you're in the woods, I'll revise this post.

If you're in the coach, here's some rolls to go with the above:
[roll0] to get the messages
Free actions: [roll1] (and [roll2] too, just in case)
[roll3]
And just in case: [roll4]

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-01-29, 01:46 PM
"This man was cursed..." Rose says thoughtfully and a little angrily, continuing to speak, and keeping her ears out, but not looking about. "Thats why it wasn't being eaten. The cat could sense it. Be wary..."

Listen check = [roll0]
Also, does she sense any undead?

MandibleBones
2008-01-29, 06:01 PM
Rose hears the sounds of boots in snow outside, lightly - not so much someone sneaking up on them as someone walking around. Whatever it is, Rose's spell picks it up as brightly living - clearly neither dead nor dying. No undead are within the range of her deity's grace-given senses, though flickers of life around the edges speak of a second being somewhere out in the snow.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-01-29, 06:08 PM
Rose points in the direction of the sound she hears and says so softly she almost mouths it, "There is one, but I think there may be another nearby..."

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-30, 01:17 PM
Hunter

Hunter points outside, then holds up five fingers. He immediately ducks down and crawls outside slowly. He sticks to the shadows, and glances around.

Hide/Move Silently - [roll0]/[roll1]
Spot/Listen - [roll2]/[roll3]

He moves out and ten feet toward the sound.

Bluff to Portray Message - [roll4] ("Five second, then follow")

Valairn
2008-01-30, 02:36 PM
Wildmane

Wildmane signals a yes as a reply and sneaks out after Hunter.

Hide:[roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-01-30, 02:50 PM
Rose begrudgingly reaches under her skirt and pulls out a silver stiletto from a sheath on her leg.

She waits and then creeps outside with the other, her small form moving strangely unobtrusively.


Move Silently = [roll0]
Hide = [roll1]

Readying an action to cast Sanctuary

Fax Celestis
2008-01-30, 04:27 PM
Caleb unknowingly warms himself by the fire.

Jacob Orlove
2008-01-30, 06:01 PM
Tam

'Linnea' follows Rose, but remains at the entry of the ruined coach, feigning reluctance to actually face whatever is outside. Perhaps Tam intends to protect those still within, or perhaps he is simply very cautious.

[roll0] and [roll1], again.
Rolled initiative already, see above (got an 18).
New stealth checks too, I guess: [roll2] and [roll3].

MandibleBones
2008-02-02, 11:13 AM
A wild-eyed man, frothing at the mouth and clad in the leathers and furs of a hunter, is staggering out of the forest. His clothing is caked with red, packed snow and his bare feet are horribly frostbitten.

The whispers, for those who can hear them, suddenly stop as if all the world were focused on this insane creature.

He sniffs the air, and his eyes pause momentarily on Wildmane and Tam before settling on the blissfully unaware Caleb. Though he seems frightened of the fire, he sees a path around it, and with a slow, slogging motion, he crunches toward him, snapping his teeth... and then he throws back his head and howls in an unearthly voice.

The Frostbitten Man is 40 feet away from Caleb and the fire, toward the woods. He will take two rounds to move around to him (since he's moving around the fire), and goes on an initiative of 13.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-02, 11:29 AM
"WATCH OUT!" shouts Rose, no longer taking pains to remain unnoticed. She snarls and gnashes her teeth, and behind the wild man the sound of a small pack of wolves growling ferociously and running through the snow can be heard.


Initiative = [roll0]

Casting Ghost Sound.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-02, 11:52 AM
Hunter

"Idiot!" He leaps up, almost appearing from nowhere among the snow. He immediately begins running toward the the crazed man with his red front. The movement that brings his knife to bear is one fluid motion, a movement of a trained hunter and practiced killer. He dashes forward and stabs toward the one area he knows kills practically every humanoid.

EDIT: Oops. Forgot the Initiative Roll (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1480086/).

Swift Action: Change stance to Island of Blades.
Move Action: Charge.
Standard Action: Burning Drain Vitality.

Attack roll: [roll0] (Includes Flanking Bonus from Island of Blades)
Damage roll: [roll1].
Sneak Attack: [roll2]

DC 14 Fort save or he loses 2 CON.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-02, 01:25 PM
Caleb (hopefully)1 hears the howl and shifts with a start. Seeing the man and fearing for his safety, he yelps the draconic word he spoke before2 once the man lurches to within range.

Initiative (1d20+1=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1480182/)
1Listen (notice howl) (1d20-1=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1480179/)
2 Power Word: Pain. No save, SR Yes. Power Word: Pain duration (1d4=3, 1d4=2, 1d4=4, 1d4=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1480180/) Less than 50 HP: duration is 11 rounds. 51-75 HP: duration is 5 rounds. 76-100 HP: duration is 3 rounds. First four rounds of damage (1d6=6, 1d6=2, 1d6=1, 1d6=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1480181/) Six now, two on my next initiative count. Anyone who speaks Draconic recognizes his utterance as the Draconic word for "pain".

Valairn
2008-02-02, 04:34 PM
Wildmane

Wildmane spits at the ground before breaking into a full run towards the madman. He draws near and seems to unleash the same strike he did earlier, it looks obviously like he has practiced it many times.

To be particularly redundant, Wildmane uses a swift action to move into the stance Blood in the Water. He then moves at his full speed(40ft.) up to the target while drawing his weapons, and unleashes a Wolf Fang Strike.

Initiative: [roll0]
Main Hand Attack: [roll1]
Main Hand Damage: [roll2]
Off Hand Attack: [roll3]
Off Hand Damage: [roll4]

Jacob Orlove
2008-02-03, 12:08 AM
Tam

Tam shook his head softly. Sabotage on the rail line, a corpse in the woods, and now another man, all in this one spot. Any two could be coincidence, but all three? And these hotheads saw no better course of action than common violence. What a waste.

Unable to think of a way to stop the others and question the wild man without drawing undue attention to himself, Tan writes the whole thing off as a lost cause. Then he hears wolves howling in the forest, and braces himself for their appearance.

Make spot and listen checks again. Should I keep rolling them myself?

Tam will ready an action to start casting Sleep as soon as he sees those wolves. Should I roll a Will Save, or does he need to do something specific to "interact" with the illusion?

MandibleBones
2008-02-03, 10:42 AM
As Caleb speaks the word of power, the man drops to the ground screaming. Hunter runs toward the man, dropping into a combat stance as he stabs the raving man in the face. Rose, no doubt hoping to distract the man, conjures the sound of wolves, which only serve to make the man scream louder. Wildmane, meanwhile, charges the man and slices two more gashes into his writhing body.

Tam: Will Save, DC 13, to disbelieve the ghost sounds... next round, once you've "interacted" with them by listening intently for them. Also, please continue to roll your own spot and listen checks when you feel you need to - I'll roll them for you when you're about to be surprised.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-03, 11:48 AM
"THATS ENOUGH!" Rose shouts as the man goes down, running for him through the snow. "He's not in his right mind, try to restrain him!"

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-03, 12:22 PM
Hunter

Hunter ignores the girl. Restraints do well in a city when there are people to police the insane, but here.. This man would be the death of them. He drops to his knees when the other man falls, and immediately stabs his knife downward toward his foes' throat with all the strength he could muster. He continues to apply pressure to the blade until the writhing stops, then pulls the barbed knife-sword out and wipes it off on a clean section of the man's coat.

Coup'de'grace.

Damage: [roll0]
Sneak Attack: [roll1]

Since he probably survived: DC 22 Fort save or die.

Valairn
2008-02-03, 01:00 PM
Wildmane

Wildmane looks back at Rose, as Hunter drives the dagger through the mans throat, he becomes frozen in inaction, looking at the man, then looking at the hunter, then looking at Rose again, his confusion is evident on his face and he simply stops as it washes over him.

Jacob Orlove
2008-02-03, 02:32 PM
Tam

Now more convinced than ever that a pack of wolves is about to follow the man out of the forest, Tam continues to stand ready against their appearance.

When Rose shouts, Linnea reaches a hand forward towards Hunter with a quiet "Wait, don't" in a futile effort to give him pause.

Continuing to ready Sleep against the wolves.
[roll0]
[roll1] and [roll2].

Fax Celestis
2008-02-05, 12:36 AM
Caleb

"Hunter, wait for now, but be ready: my spell should hold him in the throes of agony for a while yet. Should he prove able to resist or still in a combative mood, you can strike him down then."

Oops, didn't know you were waiting on me.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-05, 01:28 AM
Hunter

When he hears Caleb shout, Hunter attempts to divert the knife away from the man's throat. Instead of finishing the man off, the wicked blade just sinks into the snow beside his throat. From Wildmane's position, it still appears as if he's stabbed the man in the throat. The dark-skinned human stands and wipes his snow-covered blade off on the crazy fool's jacket. "Should count yourself lucky, mate."

MandibleBones
2008-02-05, 09:13 AM
The man wriths for a moment, not appearing to have heard Hunter. But at least he's not biting at the moment. Madness and pain spar for dominance in his eyes.

This close up, Hunter can tell: he's alive, not dead... though he's getting there from the wounds.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-05, 09:23 AM
Hunter

With a sigh, he turns toward Caleb. "How long is this fool gonna howl for? I'm gettin' tired of it." Hunter kneels down, making sure to stay away from the man's mouth. He doesn't sheathe the long-knife, as he's not nearly that stupid. Hunter takes a deep breath through his nose, trying to get the man's scent.

Switching to Hunter's Sense stance. Gonna take a whiff, heres hoping He doesn't pass out.

MandibleBones
2008-02-05, 09:30 AM
Hunter smells a metallic, acrid stench, like dried blood and burnt flesh and cold snow all rolled into one. To him, it almost smells... good.

Hunter spoiler:
"Take! Eat!" whispers in your ears. Make a will save, DC 15.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-05, 09:37 AM
Hunter

The man shakes his head and stops smelling. Burning flesh isn't a great scent, but atleast it's noticeable among the other things in case one of these idiots wanted to find out where he came from.

Will Save- [roll0]
Also: Wisdom roll to remember the scent, I guess. [roll1]

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-05, 10:45 AM
Rose flashes a wordless look of thanks at Caleb as she slows down nearby.

"I don't think he's mad, but cursed like the dead man we found." she says, catching her breath.

She wipes her hands overtop him and instantly all grime, blood and other refuse rises up in a mist and dissipates in the wind, leaving him as clean and odorless as if he'd been bathed and scrubbed.

Now able to see his wounds, she attempts to gage his condition.

Casting Prestidigitation and then making a heal check to stabilize him if need be.

[roll0]

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-05, 10:47 AM
Err, and...

Knowledge (religion) check to notice if he has been cursed
[roll0]

MandibleBones
2008-02-05, 11:14 AM
The man, now clean as the driven snow, twitches as he feels the divine energy rush over him. His wounds are deep, but the only one not caused by the party is a massive bite wound on his shoulder. To Rose, it looks much like the bite on the dead body.

He's stabilized and won't be dying anytime soon. And yes, he's defintitely cursed. It's pretty advanced, too - and a terrible hunger is part of it.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-05, 11:24 AM
"Oh yes, something has cursed him, and I think whatever bit him did it." she says pointing to the wound.

"In fact, even touching him might not be a good idea..." Rose murmurs and looks at Hunter with a sudden sharp look. "Are you feeling any different than normal?"

Valairn
2008-02-05, 11:44 AM
Wildmane

"Can you get rid of the curse? Is he going to be okay?" Wildmane seems to come out of the confusion, and seems to shake himself loose a bit.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-05, 11:46 AM
Rose shakes her head with a pained expression, "I don't think so. I can give him temporary relief for a short time I think, but I'll have to seek Lamentea's will first."

Jacob Orlove
2008-02-05, 11:51 AM
Tam

Linnea edges towards the group, not willing to be left out of the conversation, and still keeping one wary eye on the forest. Getting near the group, she warns, "We should be careful, I heard wolves in the forest! Is that what bit this man?"

[roll0] and [roll1], as usual.
Also, rolling some knowledge checks to see if Tam knows anything about this. He has Jack of All Trades, so just pick whichever knowledge skill(s) apply--he has half a rank in all of them.
[roll2] and a second, in case two apply [roll3]

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-05, 12:02 PM
Rose can't help but grin despite the grim situation and looks up at Tam.

"Oh, sorry, that was me. Was trying to scare him away." she then looks down. "Doesn't appear to have been worth the while though."

Jacob Orlove
2008-02-05, 12:48 PM
Tam

Linnea rolls her eyes. "Give me a warning next time, then. I could have helped subdue him without further injury. And what's this about a curse?" she asks, sounding curious.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-05, 01:00 PM
"I wish I knew. We found a body in the forest, and when I said a prayer over him he was put at peace. I've seen cursed bodies before that reacted similarly. He had a bite though, just like this poor soul here." Rose informs Tam in a matter-of-fact tone, though it is clear she is very unhappy with the situation.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-05, 01:30 PM
Caleb walks over to investigate. "You think that the curse comes from the bite?" he muses.

Jacob Orlove
2008-02-05, 01:42 PM
Tam

Linnea frowns. "So we have two 'cursed' bodies, and two explosions on the rail line. These can't be a coincidence, can they?" she asks, sounding scared. "Maybe...maybe we should investigate. Or do you think we can get some information out of, ah, hmm, do we even know his name? Have we checked him for identification papers?"

Keeping in mind Rose's earlier warning not to touch the body, Linnea pulls a short pole out of her pack and starts gently poking around the man's garments for any kind of pouch or pocket where he might have ID papers.

Using just one segment of a collapsible pole, so 2' long. Taking 20 on search, unless anyone wants to interfere, so a check result of 23.

Valairn
2008-02-05, 02:06 PM
Wildmane

"Well regardless, it doesn't seem like this area is exactly safe, we should post two guards throughout the night, and we should leave at first light. Are there any objections?"

MandibleBones
2008-02-05, 07:08 PM
Linnaea's prodding does manage to unearth a few documents, dirty or bloodstained. A crumpled paper identifies the twitching man as one Keller from Korth, and a badly forged hunting license proclaims that he is authorized to hunt in this forest.

A few copper pieces and a well-crafted knife are unearthed as well.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-05, 08:00 PM
Hunter

"Different? No. But I'm very uneasy about leaving him alive if you can't fix him. If he wakes up, then he'll attack us. If he does, I'm not gonna stop a second time. I can last through first and middle watch, since I've already slept."

When the strange girl plucks out the man's ID, Hunter points toward them. "Mind if I see those miss? I've got experience with sniffing out fake IDs.."

Jacob Orlove
2008-02-05, 09:31 PM
Tam

"Experience with fake IDs?" Linnea asks with a smile, then tosses over the ID and license. "Here you go, says his name's Keller. From the capital." She hangs on to the knife, and takes a closer look at it, hefting it to weigh the balance of the blade.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-05, 10:21 PM
"If we can keep him restrained until the morning I might be able to at least get a little information from him." she says and appears to be thinking. "Perhaps, for his own good though we should keep him... quiet until."

She takes a deep breath and releases it with a sigh before suddenly kicking the back of his head with her pointed-toed boot.

Unarmed strike = [roll0]
Damage = [roll1] non-lethal in an attempt to knock him out.

Edit: Actually, attack should be 14. Forgot unarmed strikes already do subdual damage so I don't have to take the penalty.

MandibleBones
2008-02-05, 10:25 PM
The man gives a short grunt and then loses consciousness.

Jacob Orlove
2008-02-05, 10:47 PM
Tam

Linnea winces as Rose kicks the poacher in the head. Then, she somehow fits the pole back into her pack, and pulls out a coil of rope. "If you want him restrained, we should tie him up. Or will that get us cursed?" she asks, still wary.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-07, 01:57 PM
"I don't believe so." Rose says hesitantly. "I would risk it myself, but I've not had much experience with tying people up. However..."

She reaches down and lies a hand to the brow of the man.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-07, 02:22 PM
Caleb looks like he's trying to resist a disparaging comment about Rose and tying people up.

MandibleBones
2008-02-07, 02:58 PM
The man's head is burning hot, completely at odds to his frozen feet. It's like his soul is sucking all the warmth from his extremities and burning it. His unconscious body twitches at Rose's touch.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-07, 06:18 PM
Hunter

The man takes the ID and appraises it for a second, then pockets it and heads back to the fire. He largely ignores the discussion at hand, primarily because there's nothing he can or will contribute to the survival of a potential threat.

Knowledge(Local) check - "How often is this place patrolled for poachers?" - [roll0]

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-07, 07:23 PM
"I think he'll be safe to touch." Rose says after a moment and feeling no adverse affects. "Lets get him inside and bind him good and proper."

-=-=-=-=-

OOC: *whacks Fax*

Jacob Orlove
2008-02-07, 07:26 PM
Tam

Linnea pulls back nearly a foot as Rose lays her hand on the man's forehead. "You said we weren't supposed to touch him!" she accuses, looking worried.

She doesn't miss that Hunter keeps the man's ID, but her only response is to slip the man's knife into her belt, where it is concealed by the folds of her heavy winter cloak. With her other hand free, and the man perhaps safe to touch, she begins to uncoil the rope, and starts to tie up the man.

You posted while I was writing my post. No fair!

Anyway, taking 10 on Use Rope, I suppose, with +2 if anyone wants to Aid Another. That's a check result of 23 (or 25), because of the +10 to tie someone up.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-07, 07:30 PM
"So I did it myself to test it." Rose explains and smiles wanly, "I'm likely to be the easiest to restrain of us all if I begin to froth after all."

Fax Celestis
2008-02-07, 07:57 PM
"Skinny little waif that you are, I don't doubt that." Caleb hesitates for a fraction of a second before helping drag the man.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-07, 08:06 PM
Hunter

"So we have a problem. We have one Mr. Keller, from Korth, poaching in a place that's supposedly haunted. Mr. Keller over there gets bitten and goes crazy, right? His other friend was bitten, but he wasn't crazy when he died. So this begs the question.. What happened to them and where did they come from?"

Hunter doesn't help dragging the man. He didn't want him alive to begin with, so he sure wasn't gonna help keeping him alive.

MandibleBones
2008-02-07, 08:22 PM
Tam manages to tie up the unconscious man successfully. Meanwhile, it's getting colder out, and the further you get from the fire, the more it chills your bones.

Everyone take [roll0] damage from cold, unless you're immune. It would be more, but the fire definitely helps.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-07, 08:27 PM
What, no Fortitude saves? :smalltongue:

Hunter

The man shivers and moves abit closer to the fire, then reaches into his backpack and pulls out a thick wool blanket. He shakes the snow off his boots, then covers himself with the blanket.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-07, 10:42 PM
"S'gonna be a cooooold night for you folks, I'll grant you that."

Jacob Orlove
2008-02-08, 02:48 PM
Tam

'Linnea' shivers, teeth chattering "It's too c-cold out here for me. Wake me up if you need me to stand on watch."

She heads inside the coach, taking the lantern with her, and sets up her bedroll and blanket in a corner, using her pack as a pillow, so that no one can get into it while she sleeps.

If he takes any more cold damage, Tam will wake up. He's a light sleeper.

Valairn
2008-02-08, 02:57 PM
Wildmane

Wildmane sits comfortably next to the fire, looking a bit cold, but showing little visible signs of discomfort. He speaks absentmindedly to anyone still around saying, "I was a scout during the war, I haven't slept underneath the stars since the war ended."

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-08, 03:07 PM
Rose moves after the group to the fire, pulling her hood over her face and wrapping her hands in the fabric of her cloak. She then looks alarmed and heads within the train to check on the gnomes and their children.

MandibleBones
2008-02-08, 05:12 PM
The gnomes and children are making up sort of a nest out of various bits of luggage, and the older two are putting the little ones to bed. The one with the wooded sword is leaning up against a seat, the sword across his legs, and steadfastly refusing to join the others in the nest, though he accepts his mothers frustrated admonishment to put on another coat.

It's a little warmer here in the coach; the walls keep out most of the wind. Tam and Rose both feel like they'd be fine staying the night in here, as long as they bundled up.

Assuming that everyone is going to bed, I'll need you all to make a listen check during the night. If you're not going to bed, just say so and take any actions you need before you go to bed.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-08, 05:40 PM
Caleb will stand watch, hopefully to be relieved sometime before midnight so he can get 8 hours of rest.

Listen (1d20-1=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1486106/)

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-08, 05:44 PM
Rose pokes her head back out and says, "It's a lot warmer in here. That wind cuts you down despite the fire."

She then returns within and smiles at the gnome family. The young woman glances at the boy and at the mother and a shrewd look comes to her face. She spreads her dress out to cover her legs next to the nest and beckons to the boy.

"Come and keep me warm?" she requests, gesturing to her lap. She glances over at the mother and winks.

-=-=-=-=-

Listen = [roll0]
Edit: Whoa... well, she bloody well be able to hear whats outside :smalltongue:

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-08, 07:36 PM
Hunter

When Wildmane talks about the war, Hunter looks toward him. "Soldier-type eh? Never did like 'em. Met too many of 'em in my time, ya know?"

---

When Caleb doesn't head inside, Hunter taps the little thing on the shoulder. "Head on to bed, mate. You'll be fine between me and catguy over there." Hunter lets out a short, playful chuckle when he jabs his thumb over toward Wildman.

---

Hunter doesn't sleep that night since he'd already slept during the trip. Instead he remains wrapped up in his blanket and winter clothes to keep watch over the sleepers. He focuses again, letting his scent overwhelm his other less important senses. If Wildmane goes to sleep as well, then Hunter will remove his goggles and let his eyes do the work in the darkness. If Wildmane remains awake, then he'll just rub his temples.

If Wildmane remains awake, Hunter will whisper to him. "Sure you don't need some sleep? We need everyone moving at tip-top shape tomorrow morning."

Swift Action to attain Hunter's Sense stance.

Spot - [roll0]
Listen - [roll1]

Valairn
2008-02-08, 11:19 PM
Wildmane

"Soldier type.... not so much, I was there because it is what my pride, I mean my family did, they payed for it to, my father and mother dead in an ambush, my mother was the best wizard I knew and she fell dead from an arrow through her throat before any of us even realized we were under attack. I did the job, because its what i knew, not because I liked it. Killing is easy for me, I'm good at it, but its not what I take pride in, who would?"

After saying that, Wildmane picks himself up and moves inside, unrolls his bedroll and goes right to sleep, he wakes up around midnight and gives Caleb a chance to sleep.

MandibleBones
2008-02-09, 10:51 AM
As Caleb and Wildmane are exchanging places just after midnight, the three outside feel the wind pick up, then die down quickly.

Rose, feeling the wind and the gnome in her lap squirming, comes half-awake. The clunk-clunk sound of two stumpy feet hitting the floor of the coach jar her further awake, and she is staring straight into the eyes of hell itself.

Forming, it seems, from the wind itself, a twisted parody of a man is standing over the sleeping family. His eyes glow red and a frosted mane of hair hangs down its back, and snow wisps around it. Oddest of all are the stumps where its feet should be, blackened and smoking as if they were blasted off.

Tam sleeps soundly through the landing, but the boy in your lap is wide-eyed with fear and resolve, holding his wooden sword out with both hands pointed directly at the beast.

It looks confused, as if it didn't expect you to wake up, and pauses for a moment.

You have surprise, VT. Take any action you like before initiative needs to be rolled; and additionally make one knowledge check of your choice to try and identify the creature.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-10, 08:27 PM
Rose stifles a scream, and reflexively her hand goes up to her silver pendant around her neck. She then notices the signs that though perhaps it is a spirit, it is not one from the grave.

She opens her mouth and loudly lets out a mournful, melancholy tune that brings to mind the image of lamenting wind through the trees. It is both beautiful and intensely eerie.

-=-=-=-=-

Using bardic music to Fascinate only the creature, plus attempting to awaken the family as well as alert those on watch.

Perform (sing) = [roll0]

MandibleBones
2008-02-10, 09:37 PM
The creature, fascinated with Rose's song, tilts its head toward the music. There's something both canine and human in the wendigo's eyes, burning rage and loss and longing.

But most of all, hunger.

Combat has NOT been entered yet - the Wendigo will remain fascinated until someone makes an aggressive action toward it or the song ends. Additionally, the family are all awake, and scuttle away from the wendigo.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-11, 04:58 AM
Hunter

The man looks straight toward Wildmane, who had been the last one out of the cabin. He had taken his goggles off to massage his face where they normally rested, but the hood combined with the fire lit behind him provided enough darkness to cover his eyes. He quietly stands up and motions toward the cabin.

Move Silently - [roll0]
Hide - [roll1]

Move toward the cabin entrance, quietly draw longknife in the process.

Jacob Orlove
2008-02-11, 06:47 PM
Tam

Linnea stirs at Rose's melody, her pointed ears twitching. She peeks through a half-closed eye, but as soon as she spots the apparition, her eyes shoot open, and she carefully lifts herself to a sitting position, and, when the creature does not seem to react, stands up, hoisting her pack in one slow, smooth motion. It's possible that she intends to flee, but for now, she simply stands and observes the creature.

Local Knowledge check: [roll0], to see if he's heard anything that would suggest what this might be (ie, to figure out what other knowledge check to make, since he has the same modifier for all of them).

Valairn
2008-02-13, 08:34 AM
Wildmane

Wildmane looks over at Hunter, and says quietly, "I'll continue to keep watch, take care of whatever is in there."

Fax Celestis
2008-02-13, 02:36 PM
Caleb moves into the doorway from the fire. He readies a breath if the Beast looks like it's going to do anything dangerous.

Jacob Orlove
2008-02-18, 01:54 AM
Tam

Seeing no change in the creature, Linnea offers some quiet reassurances to the gnomes in their native tongue, though she struggles with a word or two. <Gnome> "Be careful! It's a Wendigo, a dangerous spirit. She," Linnea nods her head towards Rose, unwilling to raise a hand to point, "seems to have it entranced, so don't make any sudden or threatening moves. We should be able to handle the creature, so keep yourselves safe. If we can't, though, it's supposed to be vulnerable to fire."

She then sits back down on her bedroll, settles in more comfortably, and calls out, not loudly, but hopefully enough to be heard clearly outside the cabin, <Elven> "We've got a Wendigo in here, but the young woman has it entranced, so don't burst in. Is the fire still burning outside? We might need it."

Hopefully the Wendigo won't speak either of those languages. Tam didn't want to risk saying "it's vulnerable to fire" in common, since that might be considered threatening. Apologies to Fax and VT for being incomprehensible to Rose and Caleb, since they speak only common + weird languages. :smalltongue:

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-18, 06:16 AM
Hunter

Hunter stops when the woman inside starts speaking in elven. He takes a moment to collect himself, then sheathes the longknife. He stalks into the train car and quietly remarks to the elven-speaking woman. (Elven)"How long can she keep it busy? If she can keep it like that, I might be able to sneak up behind it and break it's neck. It's only a quick jerk, ya know?"

Jacob Orlove
2008-02-18, 12:46 PM
Tam

Linnea replies just as quietly, now almost hard to make out over Rose's mournful song, <Elven> "You'd have to ask her yourself, I'm afraid. It's been at least a minute now, maybe longer." She frowns, "I don't know if you can break its neck, though. If it can walk without feet, it may not need a head either. And the legends say you're supposed to use fire to defeat Wendigos." she concludes. Even for a 'half-elf', Linnea speaks Elven quite well.

MandibleBones
2008-02-18, 12:57 PM
Evidentally, the Wendigo does NOT speak Elven or Gnomish. It continues to listen to Rose's song, now and again making mournful noises in an eerie harmony with the music.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-18, 03:44 PM
Hunter

(Elven)"Sister, I haven't met something I can't kill given enough time." Hunter turns toward Rose, and tries to speak to her in a language the wendigo might not know. He cycles through the languages he picked up from his explorations. (Giant/Orc/Goblin)"Can you understand me? How much longer can you sing?"

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-18, 04:13 PM
Rose flashes a look of exasperation as those around talk amongst themselves. As Hunter speaks her expression turns puzzled and she shakes her head.

She continues to sing and in breathy whispers works into it, "Geeeeeeeet the chiiiiiildren oooooouuuut. Waaaaaa! Ooooo... aaaand yooooou neeeeeed heeeeeat."

She glances back to the creature and says in case it gets worried, "Heeeeat of aaaaanger agaaaainst the wrooooonged..."

MandibleBones
2008-02-18, 07:42 PM
The parents gather the children up, and nervously hurry past the wendigo and the rest of you on their way out of the compartment. The young boy with the sword looks like he wants to stay, but the adults drag him out.

Jacob Orlove
2008-02-18, 07:49 PM
Tam

Linnea shakes her head, and crosses her arms across her chest. "It's too cold out there. They need to stay inside. Can you, can you hold out until morning?" she asks, apologetically.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-18, 08:32 PM
Hunter

(Elven)"She can't understand me.. Listen, I'll be back soon. I just need to talk to the hairy guy outside." Hunter heads outside and approaches Wildmane. He whispers to the cat-person. "Come with me and don't draw your weapon no matter what. I need your help to kill something that Rose has distracted, but we have to pounce on it at the absolute same time, understand?"

He then grabs up his goggles and covers his eyes quietly. Once his goggles are secure, Hunter produces a second longknife from within the folds of his cloak. He resheathes the longknife in a more easily accessible area, then moves over to the door. The tall man tries to fade into the darkness so that the creature doesn't spot him.

Un-hiding one Longknife.

Move Silently - [roll0]
Hide - [roll1]

MandibleBones
2008-02-18, 09:24 PM
The wendigo sees nothing - or if it does, it certainly doesn't react to it. It's harmony is getting better, however.

Jacob Orlove
2008-02-19, 01:32 AM
Tam

Linnea whispers urgently as he leaves <Elven> "Whatever you're doing, hurry. Those children will freeze to death if they stay outside. And you'll need fire."

Now tense, with the gnomes outside in the chill, biting wind and driven snow, Linnea gets to her feet and begins to hum along with Rose, edging closer to the Wendigo, one hand on a pouch at her belt.

When Wildmane and Hunter reenter the cabin, and it becomes obvious that they're moving to surround the creature, Linnea moves next to Rose and says, nodding her head at two places next to the creature, <Elven> "Stand there and here. I'll try to enspell it, but I don't want to catch either of you in the effects."

The indicated squares are D11 and F13, with Tam in D13. He will get ready to hit the creature with Color Spray (hitting E10-12;F11-12;G12) as soon as someone, either one of us or the Wendigo, acts. If he can ready an action to do that, great. If not, it'll just be his first in-combat action.

Without any weapons drawn, Tam should remain nonthreatening. He can sing along or clap in tune to blend in.

For when we need it: [roll0].

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-20, 08:51 PM
Rose narrows her eyes at Linnea and shakes her head slightly as if to say, 'When this is all over we're going to have a talk...'

"Caaaaan yooooou ruuunnnn aaaaaall niiiiiight?" she inquires tartly.

Valairn
2008-02-21, 08:44 AM
Wildmane

Wildmane responds to the call to help, and slinks in while drawing his weapons.


Hide: [roll0]

MandibleBones
2008-02-21, 08:48 AM
The Wendigo's humming stops abruptly, and it snorts, shaking its head as if waking up from a particularly distracting dream. It narrows its eyes at Wildmane, throws back its head and howls.

Tam, I believe you had a readied action - after you go, we'll head to initiative.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-21, 09:25 AM
"Oh for Lamentea's sake!" Rose cries out.

Valairn
2008-02-21, 09:38 AM
Wildmane

Wildmane roars back at the Wendigo, knowing time is short he moves immediately to engage.

Initiative: [roll0]
When wildmane gains initiative he switches his stance to repetitive low level combat... I mean Blood in the Water, moves to the Wendigo and uses wolf fang strike.
To Hit Mainhand: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
To Hit Offhand: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

Valairn
2008-02-21, 09:40 AM
OOC: To confirm both crits.... wtf!?


Main Hand: [roll0]
Additional Damage: [roll1]
Offhand: [roll2]
Additional Damage: [roll3]

Jacob Orlove
2008-02-21, 12:39 PM
Tam

Linnea stifles an oath as quickly lanches into the spell she had been preparing to cast. A handful of sand tossed at the Wendigo turns into a burst of light and color, brightly illuminating the cabin for a moment and threatening to blind the creature.

Will Save, DC 14. Not sure how many HD it has, though.
1-2 HD: unconscious, blinded, and stunned for [roll0] rounds, and
3-4 HD: blinded and stunned for [roll1] rounds, and
5+ HD: stunned for 1 round

MandibleBones
2008-02-21, 05:34 PM
The frozen beast cringes from Tam's sudden light, but snarls and shakes off the effects. Before he can react further, Tam and Hunter see their chance.

Wendigo will be going on 19. If you haven't rolled initiative yet, please do so.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-21, 06:41 PM
Hunter

"Ah damnit! Fur guy, you are not sneaking around anytime soon!"

Hunter draws both longknives quickly, taking a split second to look where Tam is. "Get away from it girlie!" Without further ado he steps forward and stabs both blades toward the creature's stomach in an attempt to end the battle as quickly as possible.

Move Action - Draw Longknives.
Swift Action - Activate Island of Blades.
Standard Action - Stab with Wolf Fang Strike.

Main Hand - [roll0]
Off Hand - [roll1]
Damage Main Hand - [roll2]
Damage Off Hand - [roll3]
Crit Confirmation #1 - [roll4]
Crit Confirmation #2 - [roll5]
Crit Damage #1 - [roll6]
Crit Damage #2 - [roll7]

EDIT: Or he just misses horribly.. Whatever.

Jacob Orlove
2008-02-21, 07:13 PM
Tam

"Some plan that was." Linnea observes, rolling her eyes.

She backs up a step from the Wendigo, and reaches into her pack for a torch and tindertwig, muttering, "and I told him to use fire."

5' step to E14. Two move actions to retrieve both items from the haversack, or if that only counts as one move action, he'll light the torch too.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-24, 07:30 PM
Rose grips her silver pendant and murmurs fervently. She opens her palm and the metallic flower has somehow converted to a real rose that glows with health. The scent that wafts from it fills all about with a grim determination and steadies their nerves.

-=-=-=-=-

Casting Bless

+1 to all attacks for a time.

MandibleBones
2008-02-26, 10:35 PM
The beast, seeing Hunter armed, snarls and bites fiercely at the elf.

Bite: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
Critical Confirm (18-20): [roll2] Extra Damage: [roll3]

Jacob Orlove
2008-03-04, 11:18 AM
Tam

Linnea strikes a spark off of the tindertwig, and ignites the torch. She holds the torch out towards the Wendigo, waving it menacingly, as she steps back once more.

She then addresses Hunter and Wildmane, <Elven> "This next bit will be an illusion, so don't panic." and pulls a bit of wool out of a pouch at her belt. Wnking broadly at Rose, she adds "I could use some 'wolves' in a moment. I'm going to block the exit with a spell of fire."

Lighting the torch, moving back to G15. I'll have to wait to cast the spell until next turn, but hopefully it'll freak out the Wendigo a bit.

Edit: same post as before, but now the thread gets a bump.

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-04, 12:50 PM
Hunter

Damn thing's more agile than I thought.. Hunter ducks low when it swings. He steps back abit, taking in the situation at a glance. The city-slicker is gonna try and force it toward the back of the room, and that idiot singer is probably gonna buy into it.

Hunter decides to act decisively and end the battle as quickly as possible. He dashes forward and stabs a longknife at the creature's throat.

Trying to keep chronological order.

Results of last attack: I rolled a 7, I missed horribly.

Fax Celestis
2008-03-04, 07:05 PM
If he has a clear shot, Caleb will move to within 10' of the beast and breathe a gout of flame over it.1 Adroit watchers will notice his talons moving in a rhythmic pattern as he does so.2

1Breath Weapon (Fire) (1d8=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1516424/): 5 fire damage, Reflex DC 16 for half.
2Breath Flare: if the wendigo fails his save versus the breath weapon, he is dazzled for 1 minute.
Breath Weapon Recharge (1d4-1=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1516426/): 2 rounds remaining.

MandibleBones
2008-03-04, 07:12 PM
The wendigo whines at being confronted with the fire, yelping all-too-humanly as its fur is singed. Wildmane, seizing the opportunity, dashes up and slashes at the creature, cutting it to pieces. It falls to the floor, a bloody ruin, stopping breathing for an instant - and then some of the wounds close and its chest begins moving again. It lies there, waiting for its next chance.

Reflex save: [roll0]

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-03-06, 12:10 PM
"I fear that to put this spirit to rest it'll have to be burned til nothing is left." Rose says with a tone of regret, but her voice is firm.

Valairn
2008-03-06, 07:00 PM
Wildmane

Wildmane looks at Rose, "Give me a torch and I will burn it, every soul deserves rest."

Jacob Orlove
2008-03-06, 09:32 PM
Tam

Linnea steps forward, eyebrow raised, holding out her lit torch for Wildmane. "That was some impressive bladework, but there's no need to ask this young lady for a torch. Take mine."

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-07, 07:03 PM
Hunter

The elf doesn't do more then kick the wendigo. "We should probably drag it outside before you burn it."

MandibleBones
2008-03-12, 08:06 AM
Hunter, just now realizing that the creature is still alive, tries to pull his kick back from the creature. It snaps out at him, snarling, but he manages to avoid its fangs.

Fax Celestis
2008-03-12, 03:04 PM
"Burn it again!" Caleb yelps. He attempts to breathe another gout and fails, summoning up not flame, but instead a small puff of smoke.

Valairn
2008-03-12, 05:09 PM
Wildmane

Wildmane grabs the torch out of Tam's hand and thrusts it into the Wendigo.

Attack with Improvised Weapon: [roll0]

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-12, 07:07 PM
Hunter

(Elven)"F***ing thing!" Hunter stabs at it then steps back.

Standard: Clinging Shadow Strike with masterwork longknife.
Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Sneak Attack: [roll2]
Shadow Strike: [roll3]

Fort Save DC 13 or 20% miss chance for a round.

MandibleBones
2008-03-16, 05:55 PM
With Hunter's blow, the Wendigo fades into unconsciousness, but the rising and falling of its chest remind would-be pokers that it is still alive. (And doing science!)

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-03-16, 06:38 PM
Rose leans forward with her knife and sinks it into the shattered leg of the wendigo and jumps back, making sure it is truly unconscious.

"Lets get it to the bonfire..." she says breathing hard.

Jacob Orlove
2008-03-16, 09:28 PM
Tam

"Not so fast," Linnea says, with a sigh. So much for needing a plan to deal with the creature. "We should check the body for clues before we burn it. Keep stabbing, I'll check its aura."

With that, she begins a quick incantation, and then eyes the creature intently, not yet about to get close enough to start searching the body.

Cast Detect Magic, then examine the wendigo (from a safe distance, for now). If nothing is magical, he'll have to get all up close and personal.

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-16, 09:31 PM
Hunter

"Clues?! It has pointy teeth and a desire to eat you. Those are clues enough for me. Lets burn this thing."

Jacob Orlove
2008-03-16, 09:52 PM
Tam

Linnea's voice is dripping with sarcasm, "Oh, I suppose it's just sheer coincidence that two explosions on the rail line leave us stranded in the territory of this beast? And that we just happened to find his most recent victim, alive even in this blizzard? It may be that this creature holds the key to understanding what's going on. Maybe it doesn't." She shifts to a more pleasant tone, "But let's find out first, and burn second, hey?"



Turning her attention back to the Wendigo, Linnea gives a start, then reaches down to pick up the knife at its belt. "See? This is magical. Now, just let me check for any papers, like I found on that trapper, and then I'll help you burn it." She is now fully conciliatory, eager to smooth over the argument. Then she grows pale. "Those children are still outside in the blizzard. Someone get them inside. The Wendigo isn't a threat anymore, I think." Then she raises her voice, shouting to the gnomes. <gnome> "It's safe now. Come back inside, where it's warm."

Last paragraph was edited in. Tam will take 20 on searching the wendigo's ragged clothes for anything else interesting, then he'll help Hunter carry the creature outside and burn it if no one objects.

Valairn
2008-04-05, 08:12 PM
Wildmane

"I agree we should find out what is going on here."

Jacob Orlove
2008-04-06, 03:00 PM
Tam

"Oh good," Linnea said, "You keep it unconscious and I'll search the body."

Working carefully, but with obvious inexperience, she combs through the creature's ragged excuses for clothing, starting at the ragged stumps where its feet should be. Linnea finds little beyond the dagger and a pouch with a few gold coins, and tosses the pouch aside, to land under one of the seats with a soft clink. As she proceeds, the Wendigo's wounds continue to close up, leaving no scars behind. Only old burns on the face and new burns on the chest remain as marks that this creature was ever injured.

"It's warm." Linnea observes, "Doesn't feel natural. Wait, what's this?" she asks, drawing a small silvery chain from around its neck, with a small golden locket. She opens the locket - inside is a small painting of a rather attractive human woman, and a scrap of parchment that reads "Aaron and Vanessa - Forever."

"Looks like his name was Aaron." she notes, slipping the locket into a pouch at her waist. To Hunter, she adds, "Did you want to burn him now?"

Valairn
2008-04-06, 10:04 PM
Wildmane

"It would be needlessly cruel to keep it alive. Burn it, burn it and someone pray for its soul."

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-04-06, 10:31 PM
Rose holds her hand out to take the locket and stares at it, tears brimming in her eyes.

"When a soul has been forced into a state such as this, it must be love that forces us to bring it peace." Rose says to Tam. "This one is not even of the unliving, but it's very nature has been twisted into a beast. I know of no way we can give him peace except through death. Otherwise he will remain as this forever, a spirit of killing. At least in death, in time, he will be reunited, as a man."

ZeroNumerous
2008-04-06, 11:00 PM
Hunter

The drow doesn't bother to argue. After all, it'd take less time and he'd be able to dispose of the threat that much more quickly. When the city-slicker finishes, the drow is there with a callous remark. "Congrats, you've found a knife and a dead man's lunch money. By my best guess, the man outside was hunting and this thing nabbed him. So it just so happens to be coincidence that someone wanted everyone inside this car dead when this thing shows up."

Hunter drags the thing outside after giving it a quick stab right between the eyes to make sure it stays down. He remarks to Caleb directly, and doesn't address anyone who helped. "Think you can burn this thing to ash?" Hunter turns toward the forest proper, then sniffs the air and starts walking abit. "I'll be right back, nature calls and all that."

Hunter's switching his stance to Hunter's Sense.
Then he'll coup de grace the Wendigo before carrying it outside.

Then he walks out into the forest and gets behind a tree if he doesn't smell anything else. Then he puts on his goggles, waits five minutes, and then returns to his place at watch.

MandibleBones
2008-04-07, 05:51 PM
As Hunter carries the Wendigo outside, the gnomes hurry back toward the relative warmth of the rail coach. The cold is so strong that the drow can smell it, but other than that, there is little except the burning body in what has now become a pyre.

The forest remains quiet, the distant movements of hunting animals rustle quietly with the now-much-calmer wind.

Thanks for carrying on! Let me know if there's any other actions to be taken during the night - I'll get to dawn tomorrow evening if I don't hear from anyone by then.

Jacob Orlove
2008-04-11, 05:59 PM
Tam

Linnea shakes her head at the hunter's words, and settles back into her corner of the lightning rail car. She extracts a leather-bound journal from her pack, and begins to take notes on the Wendigo's intrusion, and on the events of the previous day. The slow scritching of quill on paper--and a lullaby from Rose--lulls the young gnomes back to sleep. After a fair bit of writing, Linnea puts away the book and settles in for whatever remains of the night.

VT, I hope the lullaby bit was okay with you. If not, I apologize. Let me know if you want it changed.

Valairn
2008-04-15, 01:32 PM
Wildmane

Wildmane finds a spot and settles down just inside the car. He isn't asleep, but his eyes are closed, he hums softly to himself something that sounds much like the nation's anthem.

ZeroNumerous
2008-04-15, 01:49 PM
Hunter

The dark elf stays outside and passes the time. He wasn't gonna go to sleep just yet, and definitely not when someone else was nearby.

MandibleBones
2008-05-06, 06:07 PM
The remainder of the evening passes uneventfully, though the bound man whimpers several times during the evening, rolling alternately away from and toward the fire.

As the first light of dawn begins to creep over the trees and Hunter's eyes are a struggle to keep open, a roaring sound, like a crackling fire, wakes the sleepers. The elf is the first to see it - a burning ring hovering through the air, headed straight for the camp, and then Wildmane catches sight of what looks like a boat suspended in the center as the airship settles to a stop directly over the coach.

"Anyone alive down there?" calls a voice in a heavy Karrn accent. A man dressed in black, military garb leans his head over the railing, then looks back toward the stern of the vessel. "Ma'am, I think we've found them," he booms. A ladder is lowered, and several flares shot toward the sky. Several men, armed only with a single long blade and wearing clothes that can only be considered a uniform, descend from the ladder and secure it to the ground as best they can.

This is the end of the first arc - the second one starts as soon as everyone boards the vessel. Everyone gain 660 experience points for your combats.

ZeroNumerous
2008-05-06, 10:21 PM
Hunter

When the elf spots the burning ring, he immediately readjusts all his weapons. He takes meticulous care in storing the long knives inside the folds of his shirt and even goes so far as to hide on inside the chain shirt, strapped to his chest. Once he finishes, he readjusts the dark goggles that block out the sunlight then pulls up his hood nice and tight. Once he finishes, he motions toward the nearby forest. "Theres an airship coming, and I gotta take a leak so.."

Hunter heads toward the forest if there is still time before the airship arrives. He then retrieves his disguise kit and touches up his face. With that done, he finishes his business and returns to the group proper. When the soldiers make themselves obvious, Hunter quietly groans. "Great.. More military men."

Taking twenty on Hide checks for all long knives, which puts them at DC 29 to spot. He takes twenty on a Disguise Check to appear like a moon elf(I think) or a high elf. DC 28 spot check to notice the difference.

Jacob Orlove
2008-05-07, 02:05 AM
Tam

Linnea wakes with a start at the roar of the airship, looking aroudn with some confusion. Evidently, she places the sound quickly, and has her belongings stowed in no less time. She draws out a small mirror from her pack, and takes a wary look at her own reflection, wistfully muttering something about a hot bath. She settles for tying her hair back in a long black braid, leaving her slightly pointed ears exposed.

After a few bites of dried fruit, Linnea goes outside to watch the incoming ship, ready to signal them should they deviate from their course. She waves to the black-clad man as he leans over the side. As the men are securing the ladder, she walks up to them, "Thanks for the rescue! Are you all coming down, or should we come up?"

Valairn
2008-05-07, 06:57 AM
Wildmane

Wildmane yawns as the airship approaches thinking to himself that they were mighty lucky someone came looking for them. He says to them when they hit the ground, "Thank you gentleman, you saved us one hell of a walk!"

He gathers his belongings and stuffs them in his pack before asking, "Does anyone need any help gathering their things?"

MandibleBones
2008-05-07, 07:20 AM
The black-clad man who seems to be in charge* politely addresses Tam. "Ma'am," he says, "It would be best if you gathered your things and came up - the other airships will be here soon, and they'll want to start extracting the train right away. Do you know what caused the crash?"

*He's wearing bigger insignia than the others. Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) DC 15 or Knowledge (Local) DC 1o to identify him as a Karrnathi army lieutenant. Also, a spot check, DC 10, lets you notice the opal ring on his right hand.

Jacob Orlove
2008-05-07, 12:37 PM
Tam

"I'm sorry, Lieutenant, but I don't know. Last night, it looked like there were two explosions on the track, but the snow was packed down, not melted. But if we're in a hurry, I'd better go get the children aboard. With your permission." With that, she bows slightly, and turns to walk back into the ruined coach, to help the gnomes pack up and get ready to leave.

ZeroNumerous
2008-05-07, 03:35 PM
Hunter

Without a word, Hunter just readjusts the haversack slung over his shoulder. He doesn't say anything, and just keeps to himself. He stands up straight, readjusting his normal posture to accommodate the knife handle poking him in the ribs. He scrutinizes both the one in charge, not that he understood the man's rank, and the soldiers around them first. Then just waits patiently for the group to gather their things and the things of the gnomes before climbing up.

He takes 10 on spot checks to notice weaponry, heraldry, and other things on commander or his men. Total is 20.

Knowledge(Local): [roll0]