PDA

View Full Version : Imbue Item

slexlollar89
2008-01-23, 01:11 PM
Hey...
I am DMing a campaign with a 15th levl warlock in (among other things), and theis player loves the imbue item ability. However, he believe that you do not pay XP cost or gold cost when making items with the imbue item ability, and the second t last line in the ability description seems to support this. Am I reading it wrong, because if this is true then the warlock (already my favorite class) will be quite a bit better...

Also, I am not bery smart and am having quite a bit of trouble finding out a definitive way to craft items (as in XP cost and gold cost for unique items, and what feats allow what crafting). This is in part due to laziness, but also my own foolishness, so can anyone help me out> I really want to play an artificer.

Duke of URL
2008-01-23, 01:23 PM
Whatever the RAW is, there's no way the RAI would have Imbue Item give you items for "free".

As for determining prices for custom items, see Creating Magic Items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm) in the SRD. Use common sense -- if something seems too powerful for the price, then it is.

kamikasei
2008-01-23, 01:32 PM
I am DMing a campaign with a 15th levl warlock in (among other things), and theis player loves the imbue item ability. However, he believe that you do not pay XP cost or gold cost when making items with the imbue item ability, and the second t last line in the ability description seems to support this. Am I reading it wrong, because if this is true then the warlock (already my favorite class) will be quite a bit better...

I take it you mean the line "If it fails, he cannot complete the item. He does not expend the XP or gp costs for making the item; his progress is simply arrested."

This refers to the fact that he doesn't pay XP or gp costs to make an item if he botches the UMD check to emulate a required spell. If he succeeds, he will pay the costs as normal; nothing there says he won't. It's just a cover for the fact that unlike someone who can actually cast the spells, the warlock might fail halfway through, in which case it'd really suck to lose the money and XP but be left with a dud item.