PDA

View Full Version : Spoooky Mine Control!

wadledo
2008-01-23, 04:13 PM
Alright, I'm planing on DM a game(Gasp!) and I need some help with some particulars:

1). How would one clear out a beach in preparation to invade (similar to D-day) with about 100 casters of varying levels? This is a right then and there show of massive power kinda thingy.

2). How would one knock out a bunch of civilians with said casters, lets say about 1000+?

Basically, I plan on having the xenophobic Egyptish empire's first act on the world stage to attack the Hollandish country.
The highest level magic user is the 15th level Ultimate Wizard (that being the classes for the PC's and world in general) God King, with everything else from Divine to Psionic being thrown in there.

So, any ideas?

Solo
2008-01-23, 04:16 PM
1. Cloudkill, repeatedly, with Stink Cloud thrown in by the lesser casters for good measure. Mass Dominate Person, Glitterdust, Shatter, Explosive Runes + Shrink Item to shrink a book of Explosive Runes, then voluntarily fail a Dispel Magic check on it, Wall of Iron, Sleep, Deeper Slumber... the list goes on and on.

Alternatively, bypass the beaches via magical spells like Phantom Steed.

2. Sleep and Deeper Slumber.

3. Xenophobic

Dervag
2008-01-23, 04:19 PM
1. Cloudkill, repeatedly, with Stink Cloud thrown in by the lesser casters for good measure.If it weren't for the Geneva Convention, this would probably have been how the US military did it, too. The idea of using chemical weapons was seriously considered for the landings on Okinawa, Japan not being a signatory to the Geneva convention.

wadledo
2008-01-23, 04:24 PM
1. Cloudkill, repeatedly, with Stink Cloud thrown in by the lesser casters for good measure.

Alternatively, bypass the beaches via magical spells like Phantom Steed.

2. Sleep.

3. Xenophobic

1. Works, but how do I get rid of physical stuff?
The title has Mine in it for a reason.

2. Only has an on average, out of the 100, of about 4 minutes.
They have to travel a day to get there, and it takes a day to get back, so something a bit longer lasting would be nice.

3. Thanks.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-23, 04:29 PM

They have to travel a day to get there, and it takes a day to get back, so something a bit longer lasting would be nice.

3. Thanks.

You could have druids use control water/tsunami to simply wash all of the defences away. Have you seen what storms can do to shorelines?

Heh, weather-control is the new timestop/celerity/cloudkill on the boards right now.

wadledo
2008-01-23, 04:46 PM
You could have druids use control water/tsunami to simply wash all of the defences away. Have you seen what storms can do to shorelines?

Heh, weather-control is the new timestop/celerity/cloudkill on the boards right now.

Oh, wow.
A ninth level spell when I said the highest level character was 15th.
Soo very fun.:smallannoyed:

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-23, 04:49 PM
Uh ... did you read that post?

Control Water (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/controlWater.htm).

Clr 4, Drd 4, Sor/Wiz 6, Water 4.

Solo
2008-01-23, 04:50 PM

1. That's what the Explosive Runes trick is for. Blow any mines you find up.

Alternatively, Bigby's Grasping Hand might work, as would shooting the mines with Acid Arrow

2. Put them to sleep then encase them in a Wall of Stone/Iron/Force.

With airholes.

wadledo
2008-01-23, 04:52 PM
Doh!
Sorry, looked at Tsunami and glanced at that.:smalltongue:

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-23, 04:56 PM
Doh!
Sorry, looked at Tsunami and glanced at that.:smalltongue:

It's the spooky mimes you'll have to watch out for. :smallamused:

Solo
2008-01-23, 05:00 PM
A quick casting of Mime Blank will solve that problem.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-23, 05:03 PM
A quick casting of Mime Blank will solve that problem.

Ring of Mime shielding?

Zenos
2008-01-23, 05:03 PM
If you're disabling conventional traps, just summon 2000 fiendish monkeys, herd them at the beaches.

About the disabling of citizens, mass hold person maybe? Or some other kind of mass paralyzation.

Blackadder
2008-01-23, 05:30 PM
A second on the idea repeated castings of Monster Summoning:Fiendish Monkeyfodder.

Enough monkeys can solve anything!

Drascin
2008-01-23, 05:35 PM
Thirding the idea of the fodder horde. No better way to rid a place of mines than making them all blow up.

NullAshton
2008-01-23, 05:44 PM
I'd just do massive fire of fireballs. Would obliterate most infantry if you use most spell slots, not to mention a pretty impressive display of power and destroying most physical things like mines along with the soldiers. Syncronized, you could wipe out most of the beach before they get a shot off, thanks to the fireballs long range.

Collin152
2008-01-23, 05:50 PM
Move Earth. Just shift all the sand up out of your way, taking mines with it.

Or possibly just exposing htem, depending on your interpretation.

GoC
2008-01-23, 06:05 PM
Druids are the best army killers!:smallbiggrin:

I started that trend btw. :smalltongue:

Use Widened Control Weather if you are attacked/want to attack.:smallcool:

Aquillion
2008-01-23, 07:27 PM
Are the mines magical? Detect Magic or Dispel Magic ftw.

For mechanical or more traditional mines, use any form of water or weather control to make the beachhead muddy, then Transmute Mud to Rock to make a path. The mines can't go off if they're entombed in solid stone, can they?

...oh, yes, and parts of the enemy army can be trapped in the stone as it's transformed, too. Or, if you prefer, Wall of Iron can be used to set off mines and then leave a safe iron road (while crushing opponents) by tipping it over.

Or a much simpler method: Since he's a god king, he has a lot of low to mid-level priests, doesn't he? Cloudkill, then follow up with Desecrate and Animate Dead. Use the resulting undead to attack anyone who survived and sweep for mines... and they'll be immune to your cloudkills, too.

If the god-king has any wights under his control, those can be used to turn the enemy into wights... buff the initial ones so they fly and don't die so easily, and have them order the wights they create to sweep for mines. Desecrate helps here, too, as do the various clouds.