PDA

View Full Version : Powers and the City [IC2]

Fiery Justice
2008-01-23, 09:49 PM
The sun rose on a new day, today, in the streets of Skyline City. The clouds were in the air and it might rain on the outskirts. Men of power came here, be that power wealth, magic, might, or what have you. This is Skyline City, and these are some of those men

Voshkod
2008-01-24, 09:15 AM
Flashbulbs were snapping off, blinding. Sweating. Heartbeat up. Mouth dry. My opponent, calm, blank faced, where is his face? The board's a mess. And he moves his pawn . . . sideways? Someone's laughing . . . .

He struggled toward consciousness as she said Wake up, Steven. It's eight in the morning. Wake up.

"I'm up. I'm up." He looked around bleary-eyed. "I had that dream again."

Oh? She sounded concerned.

"Yeah. I'm playing chess, but I don't know the rules. Everything's wrong."

I'm sorry. Your medicine is on the table.

"Thanks." He fumbled for the two white pills, tossed them in his mouth, and dry-swallowed the bitterness. Steven Dole lay back in his bed, waiting for the amphetamine rush. "What's on the schedule, Continuity?"

She spoke again from the small speaker next to the bed. "10 A.M. Meeting with General Connors of DARPA, demonstration of the hush suit. Noon, lunch with Senator Sardin. 3 p.m., teleconference with Microsoft. 7 p.m., celebrity chess matches for autism. The mayor will be there."

"Thanks, Connie," Dole said as he stretched and got out of bed. Windows on three sides of the bedroom showed Skyline from eighty floors up. White clouds, almost close enough to touch. Rain on the horizon. Eighty floors down, humanity scrabbling for life. He poured some coffee.

"How am I doing today, Continuity?" A sip of the strong brew.

All vital signs within normal parameters. Your stocks in the Hong Kong market did very well over the night. Estimated total value, sixteen billion, two hundred million. Liquid assets, five billion, eight hundred million.

"Up a bit indeed, Connie. OK, let's see the sights." The southward window polarized black, and a hundred feeds from a hundred cameras flickered to life. Security cameras, red light cameras, every camera he could tap into. Checkmate stepped back and took it in.

"Report, camera 82, mugging, 3:42 in the morning. Report, camera 713, hit and run accident, 5:21 in the morning." Continuity started to send out anonymous reports to the authorities. "Report, attempted pickpocketing, wait, freeze 231 and expand."

A frame enlarged to take in the whole window. A kid, trying to steal from a woman, and there, in the alley. "Transmute. Interesting. Note Transmute's location and triangulate with other known appearances. Roll back - did we get his real face?"

I'm afraid not. Checkmate shrugged. "No matter. We'll just keep watching." The world flicked by on the windows.

MisterSaturnine
2008-01-24, 04:28 PM
On another of Checkmate's cameras, a scruffy-looking man sat on an overturned trashcan in the back of a McDonald's, tearing into a Big Mac. The man wore a London Fog that had seen better days. His face was concealed by a wide-brimmed hat that matched his coat, but if the camera focused in they'd be able to catch coarse blond stubble flecked here and there with bits of gray. His hands were covered in scars, including what almost looked like four side-by-side bite marks on his left, and black leather gloves hung lazily from one of his outer coat pockets. He finished up the burger and wiped his mouth with the wrapper before tossing it behind him. Then, he got up, put his gloves carefully back on, and took a knife from his coat pocket, and began singing quietly under his breath.

"The dog won't bite if you beat 'em with a bone, she's so shy when she's talking on the phone..."

He slid his knife-carrying hand into a pocket, and began walking down the sidewalk.

"The ground rises up and starts to groan...I'm rollin' over to the lowside of the road..."

Podger
2008-01-24, 05:41 PM
Escher slipped out of the back of the McDonald's and started to follow the man. He felt apprehensive about the bum he had served a Big Mac. The bum looked like a stray dog who had gotten into too many fights. The kind of dog who had lived through too many fights. He looked intelligent and sharp with no scent of the devil's drink, his scarred hands looked like he had learned how to use a knife the quick and bloody way, and the black gloves draping out of the coat pockets boded no end of trouble.

Escher's face seemed to turn inside out leaving a blank mirror finish, he shoved a hand into his pocket. Pulling out a Snickers he fell back and watched the hobo croon what sounded like a disturbing lullaby.

"I'm only following him for half an hour, and then I'm going home. No, I am not going to spend all night following somebody again. I don't care what you think. I know I'm you. Well... I don't care what I think then."

Voshkod
2008-01-24, 05:56 PM
"Freeze 42!" Dole stepped forward as a security camera feed from behind a Burger King filled the window. "Play back, Connie, quarter speed."

He watched as the bum put knives back in his pocket, in slow-motion reverse. "Connie, get that face, cross-index with local and national police databases. That guy knows how to use knives, and he looks like he has used them. Run forward."

Yes, Steven. Continuity began to process as the feed continued. The bum walked off image, and then a new person, hesitating, taking out a candy bar, following the bum.

"Interesting. Watch for both of those two, Continuity. Signs and portents, Connie. Something's up. People are gathering. Not sure why. Let's see the news."

Headlines scrolled. Spectacular Six retiring. No, they can take care of themselves. The Pale breaks out. That's worth watching. Tribunes in town. God, I hate those guys. Alien pod? Might be worth checking out . . . .

"Connie, pull up everything you have on that extraterrestrial incident. Might be worth going out there personally. Nothing like new tech."

Fiery Justice
2008-01-24, 06:12 PM
Continuity brings up a handful of files. It appears to have been a deliberate landing, using some kind of bio-mechanical technology. The ET was a trinary creature, with what is probably an indo-exoskeleton as well, and has multi faceted eyes. It has deliberately avoided contact with any humans. The SLEA has designated the site as secured and members of the press are beginning to gravitate there.

MisterSaturnine
2008-01-24, 06:26 PM
The "bum" continued walking until he could duck into an alley. He'd spent too long of a time in prison to not know when someone was following him. He drew the knife out from his pocket, stuck his other hand into his coat, and grasped a pistol hidden in one of the inner pockets. Pressing himself against the wall, he waited for Escher to follow so he could grab him and put that knife up against his throat. Who knows, maybe this person following him had some answers...

Podger
2008-01-24, 06:39 PM
The bum stopped singing. Escher crooked an ear, for a second his eardrums became a fragile crystal structure, sensitive enough to hear the music of the spheres. Static, a distant siren, a weird localized high pitch thrum, dogs baying. and a slow, steady intake of air. The mark had stopped.

Escher fell upward, up to the top of a building. Escher's eyes had already shifted to the gray light of morning, he saw the glint of a knife, still not enough for an arrest. He took out his cellphone and a card with a picture of chess piece on it, flipped it over and dialed the number.

"Continuity? Hello, I need some information. Why should you give it to me? I just found one of your cameras. If you don't tell me what I want to know I will walk over there and rip its entrails out. Fine, tell Checkmate that I owe him one. I just finished at Mickey Dee's and am now two blocks west. Tell me everything you know about the man I'm following. Thanks Continuity, I'll talk to him now."

Sannit
2008-01-24, 07:29 PM
SLEA. Well, he'd considered the superhero thing before....if you're gonna sample the life of a vigilante, you might as well do it legally.

Tin popped a pill and closed his eyes - a brief spike in that incessant alarm pounding through his head. Silence. What he wouldn't give for some silence. The regular humans, they complained about noise regularly. The sound of the city; the cars, the crowds, the electric advertisements flashing in the square. They didn't know how silent their world really was. Of course, thought Tin with malice, I could always change their perspective on things. But, no, you can't do that if you're a prospective member of the SLEA. It was a wonder there weren't more supers running through the streets of the city, eye lasers blazing. Tin wasn't one of those; he had control.

The mutant pushed the door to the agency open and looked about. Fancy lobby. Marble, gold, polished steel - one would certainly be suspicious of where the SLEA got all their money. Certainly the army of hypnotic mutants and ATM sweettalking techno-Frankensteins in their employ had nothing to do with it. Rolling his eyes, Tin proceeded to the largest desk in the room, at which was seated - of course - a bespectacled young receptionist. He placed his hands on the corner of the desk and smiled his most winning smile across at the young lady.

"Hi. I'm looking to join the SLEA."

Voshkod
2008-01-24, 07:46 PM
Checkmate scanned the files. "Very interesting. . . ."

Steven. I have Escher on the line. He seems to be following the subject in camera 42, and is requesting information.

"Put him on, Connie. . . . Escher. Checkmate here. Your quarry has two knives, and has used them in the past. Many scars. Definitely dangerous. And don't gut those cameras; I don't own them, they're city property. Good luck, call me if you need anything else. If you're interested, I may be going bug hunting later today. Some aliens are in town."

MisterSaturnine
2008-01-24, 08:01 PM
Eddie gritted his teeth and suppressed a growl. Obviously, he had been outmaneuvered, and the person who was tailing him had made a disappearance when he went into that alleyway.

"Damn it," he thought, "I should've just jumped him while we were walking. It's not like there's any people around here..."

He took out a cigarette and a matchbook from one of his pockets and stuck it in his mouth, then struck a match and lit his cigarette. Puffing to diffuse his frustration, he walked out out of the alley and back onto the sidewalk, looking around for the person--or people--following him out of the corner of his eye.

Podger
2008-01-24, 09:38 PM
"Oh come on, you can do better than that, Checkmate. He took off his hat in McDonald's. Check the footage there. This guy gives me the willies. Check the military database, prison records, known mafia hit men, and the book of the month club, my next month's rent says that he is somewhere in that list.

"Oh, and can you follow him with your peeping toms? He already spotted me once."

"Thanks, if you want to meet E.Ts, well I said I owe you a favor. G'bye." He hung up and watched as the bum strolled away.

Escher waited another ten minutes until the man with scarred hands was just a distant memory for the street.

"I'm going to bed now. No, shut up. I mean it. Thank you." Escher clambered down the building and walked away.

Voshkod
2008-01-24, 09:50 PM
"Don't worry, Escher. Connie's got his full facial profile now. He shows up anywhere, our cameras will have him. And yeah, there's something wrong with that guy. I'm running all the databases, but that's a lot of ones and zeros. We'll have something on him. And you can keep your next month's rent, either way."

Fiery Justice
2008-01-24, 10:03 PM
(Okay, does Escher work night shift? Because Checkmate appears to have just woken up, Escher is going to bed. It was my general understanding that this was nine-tenish in the morning. I'm willing to alter that to player's choice but there are two of you. And I am confused. I don't really think SLEA would be that fancy either. It'd be an office building. A nice office building maybe with marble floors, clean white walls, a nice round receptionist desk with three receptionists. But I doubt the government would siphon off gold. Unless Transmuter "donated" it. But that would damage world economy if done too much. So I doubt it would be done.)

The receptionist looks up and smiles happily, "Alright, if you'll fill out this form for us please," she takes a form out of the desk, its about as thick as you fist and weighs like eight pounds. It roughly comes to an outline of all the rules that they want you to follow, basically police rules, plus enhanced discretionary power. Then there are two pages of questions about your powers, and then there's two pages on why you want to join, and then there's a waiver for a mandatory mind scan.

MisterSaturnine
2008-01-24, 10:49 PM
((Alright, are we doing a time skip or something? Just so I can now how to post. Having a lot of fun so far, by the way. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Never mind, just re-read some stuff.))

As Checkmate looked for info on him and Escher got some shut-up, Eddie was traveling around the town, looking for some hint on Father Autumn's whereabouts. No luck, of course. He'd probably gone underground by now, and no random hood or hobo in Skyline was going to know anything about him. Still, the beatings served some purpose. More than any cigarette or bottle of beer could, violence took the edge off.

That guy tailing him, though...it made Eddie uneasy. He wandered into a coffee shop to get a quick cup. He got the feeling he'd need all the energy he could if he was right about this ill omen.

Fiery Justice
2008-01-24, 10:51 PM
(Its morning. Not really a time skip, as it was already morning.)

Sannit
2008-01-24, 10:54 PM
Tin looked down at the book in front of him, and back up at the receptionist. "You can lift this thing? I know what your power must be." He grinned and returned to his form. Name, age, height, weight, standard stuff...."mandatory mind scan"? Well, that's fine, he had nothing to hide. Wonder if it works any differently for telepaths. I might be able to cheat on it.... But no, there'd be no reason to do that, other than to show off. He should really get thoughts like those out of his head, or else they'd actually think he was up to something "Well," he said, "give me just an hour or two with these and I'll get right back to you."

Fiery Justice
2008-01-25, 04:49 PM
Continuity has collected as much information on the face as possible. The most important part being that he, Eddie Balthazar, was declared dead in prison a few months ago.

Background shows Eddie was married with one child before a conviction for triple murder in Los Angeles. The wife, Emma, works at Checkmate's company branch in Los Angeles, where she is married to a one Nathaniel Anderson a reporter at a small local newspaper. Father Autumn, the man that Eddie claimed killed the three people, disappeared nearly nine years ago. William Balthazar doesn't appear to have manifested any powers yet, though he does have numerous delinquency charges.

Voshkod
2008-01-25, 08:11 PM
"Interesting. Very interesting. Connie, flash a copy of all that to Escher. Track this guy on the cameras, I want to know where he goes to ground. Innocent or guilty, he looks crazy. OK, after that, tell the maid to put out my best conservative suit for meeting with the General, and push lunch with the Senator back to one. Finally, set up a trust with an anonymous benefactor for each member of the Spectacular Six. Minimum annual of $250,000 each for the remainder of their lives . . . none of them are immortal, I hope. Anyway, can't let them live on a government pension." He finished his coffee. "Got all that?"

You know I do, Steven, she replied.

"Yeah, I know. Last thing, e-mail to Cassie, quote, 'Will you be at the tournament tonight? It's been too long. You know I'm sorry. I'm sorry.'" He sighed. "Where is she, anyway?"

San Francisco. She does not have tickets to Skyline.

"Damn. Send her some. First class the whole way."

Podger
2008-01-26, 04:03 PM
Escher's alarm clang at two in the afternoon. Blearily he got out of bed and stumbled into the shower. Feeling marginally awake he cleaned out the fridge and wandered over to his computer. He had bought it 8 years ago, it was top of the line then; he would have to pay to get rid of it now. Ever since Escher found out that people like Checkmate existed he had learned to appreciate an analog lifestyle.

He looked through the file Checkmate sent and muttered to himself. Finally he pulled out his phone and called.

"Continuity? Tell Checkmate, no, I don't really want to speak to him now, Look, my main concern is how he got out of prison. Can you look into possible mob connections, corrupt officials, possible potential powers? I'm going to head him off. If you could have a SWAT Team standing by?"

Sannit
2008-01-26, 05:28 PM
Yeah, I don't really have to roleplay through the whole SLEA induction process, do I? I should've just started my character off as part of the agency to begin with. *hits self*

MisterSaturnine
2008-01-26, 05:54 PM
Eddie had decided what he wanted to do with this tail. Obviously, he was dealing with someone good (he didn't even hear the guy walking away from his alleyway trap). It was likely that the person had stopped tailing him, and was now waiting for Eddie to make an appearance somewhere so he'd know where to look.

Eddie was never the one to hide away for long. He'd make himself seen, and then when the problem came, he'd handle it. With a pair of brass knuckles.

He'd wandered into a convenience store about an hour ago, looked up at the security camera, took off his hat so his face was clear and mouthed, "I'm waiting for you." Then, he plunked himself down in front of the store, and started waiting.

Podger
2008-01-26, 06:35 PM
Escher's face twists, his face becoming a reflective mask as he walks toward Eddie. Smiling Escher finishes his cheeseburger, wipes his hands on his pants, and opens his hands; palms toward the mark he stops about 10 feet away.

"Would you like to talk? Or we could just punch each other until someone falls asleep, your decision."

Fiery Justice
2008-01-26, 06:39 PM
(Oh no, sorry. Yeah, the hour jump is totally cool.)

Voshkod
2008-01-26, 08:18 PM
The Senator was jabbering on about defense contracts and what he could do for AIA, and Steven was getting bored with that. His glasses, on the other hand, showed a feed from a security camera in a 7/11 and an upcoming confrontation between Escher and the man with the knives. This ought to be good.

". . . with your kind support, of course," the Senator said, smiling broadly, "we can keep up funding for this hush suit."

Dole blinked. "Yes, of course. Well, the General was very impressed with it. He liked the sound dampeners, wanted to know if we could equip aircraft and helicopters with it. And, by the way, the senior executives of AIA have pooled a nice half million for your reelection."

The Senator's grin grew, and Checkmate smiled back, as the drama at the 7/11 played out between them.

MisterSaturnine
2008-01-26, 08:40 PM
Eddie got up and smiled like a crocodile at Escher. "I'm willing to discuss. Especially since I'm sure as hell not going to prison, and beating on some hero is very likely to send me there. Though I would love to cave in that mirrored face of yours. Anyway...who are you and what do you want from me?"

Podger
2008-01-26, 09:47 PM
"I'm Escher, and right now? I want answers. You don't make sense, Eddie. You have a happy marriage and then go and randomly kill three people? You escape from prison and you come straight to Skyline? And according to the prison you're dead.

"I haven't been in this business long but I know when something is wrong, this is your one chance to explain."

Escher took one step backward keeping the exact distance between them. The public had seen his mask and vacated the area. Gawkers stood across the street, one man seemed to be running an impromptu bookie operation.

MisterSaturnine
2008-01-26, 10:13 PM
"I didn't kill anyone, OK? I'm assuming you read up on my criminal record. Did you read about my claims in the courtroom? Did you read up on Father Autumn? He was a hero like you. He disappeared 9 years ago, and I don't want to think about how many people he's killed since then. The ones I supposedly killed were his first. He wrote some weird manifesto--essentially, he wants to kill every human being alive except for one man and one woman, whom he called his Adam and his Eve, and reset the world. Maybe you and whoever you're working with would like to stop wasting your time stalking me and throw me a ****ing bone instead."

Voshkod
2008-01-26, 10:36 PM
The electronic marquee for displaying current lottery winnings suddenly flips over to scrolling letters.

LET'S ALL STAY CALM AND MEET SOMEWHERE A LITTLE MORE DISCREET? ESCHER, CALL ME.

MisterSaturnine
2008-01-26, 10:42 PM
Eddie whirled around to see the "talking" marquee and gave a laugh that was more sarcastic, fearful, and plan weirded-out than mirthful.

"Fantastic. You have Big Brother on your side."

Voshkod
2008-01-26, 10:46 PM
The marquee flashes a smiley.

PERHAPS I'M ON YOUR SIDE TOO?

MisterSaturnine
2008-01-26, 10:51 PM
"Well, no one's been on my side in about 12 years, so I guess that's fine with me."

A little disappointed that a fight seems to be nowhere in his immediate future, Eddie draws out another cigarette from his coat pocket and lights up.

Podger
2008-01-26, 11:14 PM
"This is Skyline, I can have a licensed telepath check your story. If you are telling the truth I am sure that Big Brother over there will be happy to help. Until then we do what the billboard says.

"Twitch wrong... I don't have to finish that."

Escher dials, "Continuity? Where do we go? One block away at all times. Come with me, Eddie."

Still connected to Continuity, Escher starts to walk down the street pulling an energy bar from his pocket and bites down. He reconfigures his facial structure and complexion and inserts gas and liquid to the facial muscles to make him look 30 pounds heaver; his face seems to turn inside out again and a rather ugly, bloated man is left behind.

It is okay, that bit about psychics? It seems to make sense in a metahuman heavy world.
Edit: apparently not, I'm retconning the little story sequence to reflect that

MisterSaturnine
2008-01-26, 11:26 PM
"I'll walk wherever the hell I want, 'Escher.' And why Escher? Do you trap the bad guys in spoooooky magical lithographs?"

Despite his protests against being ordered around, he followed Escher. As much as he liked being a contrarian, it would be plain stupid not to follow along.

EDIT: I...didn't see the transformation part of your post. Adding something to mine.

Upon witnessing Escher's bizarre transformation, Eddie took a step backward and put a hand into his pocket to grab a knife out of instinct. "What the hell did you just do?!"

Podger
2008-01-26, 11:43 PM
""Its in the pamphlet (the one they give with the official superhero decoder ring and pointy badge) that all dashing, daring, caped vigilantes need an alias. Escher seemed appropriate given the face. Oh, and I can do this with my hand." Escher's hand is briefly visible in eight dimensions, an eye watering phenomenon.

And you what do you call yourself? I assume that you call yourself something, everybody always does (sigh)." Keeping up the small talk Escher led Eddie to a small parking garage. The psychic was in route and the SWAT team was only a block away.

Escher was confident that he could subdue him if the worst case scenario came about.... no, now that he though about it the worst case scenario was that Eddie was a psychotic reality shaper and would tear apart the city at a whim, sometimes Escher hated the world. At least that would explain why the judicial system thought Eddie Balthazar was dead.

The face was an edit. I thought it would be interesting.
Edit: Ooh, just realized that I added a superhuman registration act, hmm, let's say he's being sarcastic if you don't actually want that.
edit: retconned out of the registration act too

MisterSaturnine
2008-01-26, 11:50 PM
"Damn, you need a license around here? Well, it's not like I've been doing much that's legal these days, anyway. One more thing can't hurt. Have figured out a name for myself, though. Can't go around calling myself Eddie, so I go by the Sinner's Saint. I'd rather not, to be honest. By the way, if you're leading me into a trap...I don't care if I don't make it out, I'll make sure that you don't either."

It was very interesting. I really like the character you've created. :smallsmile:

Podger
2008-01-27, 12:04 AM
"No trap. Basically we wait here for a telepath. He takes a quick peak and if everything is hunky-dory you will be temporarily 'liberated' under the telepath's supervision, at least until we find out why you are dead and where Father Autumn is now.

"You still haven't told me how you're dead. I had a personal bet that you had mob connections."

edit: more retconning

MisterSaturnine
2008-01-27, 12:10 AM
"No mob connections here. I once wrote an article about a mob boss who got himself planted in jail, though. I understand him so much better now. But the answer to that's actually really simple. I just broke out. Got shot a couple times, left some skin on the barbed wire, but I did break out. The wardens apparently decided it would be easier for them to declare me dead than to lose face and report that I escaped."

((I don't think he's here right now. We might have to call it a night.))

Sannit
2008-01-27, 07:28 AM
((Sorry, was at work. I swear I don't usually work Saturday nights. And I hope I never do again. :smalleek: ))

A movement down the street - the SWAT team was arriving ((I hope I'm not too out of bounds by announcing what they do; I apologize in advance if I am)). Black body armor and shields glistened in the evening light, and automatic rifles bristled in the direction of the man and the freak. Among them, less armed but sporting a protective vest, was Tin, speeding up now to get his potential combatant within range. A brief mind probe from a distance revealed....calm, nothing more. This enemy was cool, and apparently wasn't thinking anything too incriminating at the moment.

Tin motioned for the team to stop - he didn't want them ruining a diplomatic moment. Cool though the man was, the air was hot and tense, and Tin felt an eruption could happen at any second. Finally close enough that he could confidently employ his namesake ability, he looked at the morphing monstrosity to his left.

"Escher, I presume? My name is Tin, and, uh....I'll be your telepath today. But before I do my business here I think it'd be best if the two of you carefully put down whatever weapons you might have, just to make those guys behind me happy." He gestured to the SWAT team behind him. "Please?"

Voshkod
2008-01-27, 08:55 AM
Checkmate concentrated for a moment, and his cell phone rang. "Senator, can you excuse me for a moment?"

A safe distance away, he called Continuity. "Did you call out SWAT for Escher?"

Yes, Steven. You said to help him.

"Damn it, Connie. No more calling out firepower without asking me first."

Sorry, Steven, she said sadly, but he had already switched lines.

"Escher. This is a really bad idea. You corner this guy and people are going to die - maybe him, maybe cops. Take him to a safe house." Checkmate quickly rattled off an address in a bad part of town. "I'll meet you there, and I can take care of any problems. Trust me."

The building had seen better days, and those days were seventy years ago. Now it was a haven for hookers and junkies and people on their way out. Except Apartment 508. A one bedroom, one bath, haven. Modernist furniture. 80 inch plasma TV on one wall with a hard drive containing thousands of movies. A full fridge. A collection of clothes, men and women, in various sizes. A lunch spread. Beer.

Checkmate sat in a chair in front of the TV, watching Escher and the Saint, and hoping they'd make the right decision.

Podger
2008-01-27, 10:01 AM
"Dammit. I told the SWAT to stay back one block. Sorry about that Saint, I'll just be a moment.

"Yo, you morons. What the bloody hell do you think you're doing? I made it quite clear that only the psychic was supposed to come in. Continuity, are you getting this? I want everybody with a gun out of this building now."

Escher stood up slowly and waved his badge. The badge was a cheap piece of tin that he bought at a convenience store, it meant nothing, by law no authority was derived from it, but Escher had learned that humans responded well to bright shining things.

Escher is not constantly morphing. Right now he just looks like a rather ugly heavy set man. Though his transition between mask and normal face is extremely disturbing and disgusting to watch.

Any actual shape change is either very small in magnitude or very slow in happening

Note: Any profanity or insults are directed at the cops not at the other players, just saying

MisterSaturnine
2008-01-27, 01:47 PM
"Not a problem. I could kill a few and give the others PTSD if they tried anything. Hello, Tin. Make sure when you probe my mind, you only look at whether or not I'm telling the truth. OK? Nothing else. It'll be better for both of us."

Behind his speech, there was something less than cool and collected--there was a certain urgency that made his last statement almost a plea.

"So, where are we going? Let's get this over with. I'm getting twitchy with all this authority around. The violent kind of twitchy. I'll put down my weapons when they do."

He withdrew a knife from his coat pocket, accompanied by a single brass knuckle, which he slipped on over his leather glove.

Hey, no worries, Sannit. All of us here have other commitments, and we can't be expected to abandon them just to post here.

Sannit
2008-01-27, 04:37 PM
"There's no need for violence, now. We'll be left alone, and then we can settle this and get back to our lives." He motioned slowly for the SWAT team to leave them, which they began to do. Cautiously, Tin approached Saint. "In order to tell whether you're telling the truth or not, I need you to make the statement that you want me to assess."

MisterSaturnine
2008-01-27, 04:44 PM
"Fine with me."

His left hand still gripping his knife and his brass knuckles gleaming in the sunlight, the Sinner's Saint stepped a little closer to Tin. With all these powered people around, Eddie was feeling a little ineffectual, and nothing cures that like a healthy dose of intimidation.

"I'm Eddie Balthazar. I found the manifesto of Father Autumn, and was framed for the murder of a family of three by him. Good enough for you?"

Sannit
2008-01-27, 05:05 PM
Tin nodded, and withheld a sigh of relief. "It's alright, he's telling the truth - he was framed." Or thinks he was, anyway. Regardless, the situation seemed to have been diffused, though he'd like to hear more about this "Father Autumn" character later, circumstances permitting. At the moment, there seemed to be no immediate danger. Tin relaxed, if only a little.

MisterSaturnine
2008-01-27, 05:09 PM
"Jesus. This whole thing makes me feel worse. I spent 12 years in prison when one little guy like you could've proved to the court I was innocent."

He laughed resentfully, and pocketed his weapons.

"A lot of people are going to pay for this. I'll find Autumn, then that judge, then every member of that god damn jury and leave 'em as nothing but little stains on the wall..."

Podger
2008-01-27, 05:16 PM
"Might I suggest then that my benefactor posts a bond and Eddie Balthazar is handed over to us as his guardians."

Escher placed himself between Tin and the Sinner's Saint. He put his back towards the Saint, it wouldn't matter in a fight and who knew? The Saint might actually see it as a gesture of trust.

The knives did not hold well with Escher, it looked like a toddler cuddling with his teddy bear at night, innocent or not Escher was going to keep an eye on him.

"At least until the we find evidence of innocence. And Mr. Balthazar? please, do stay quiet for the foreseeable future, no need to go straight back to jail, is there?"

If he goes to prison right now somebody is going to die, and I doubt that it will be Eddie. Checkmate is going to have to look into metahuman insane asylums....

Alright, everyone is together at last in one big, very twitchy, uneasy team.
Edited: replaced Checkmate with benefactor

Voshkod
2008-01-27, 05:34 PM
A text message scrolls across Escher's phone.

BRING SS AND TIN TO THE SAFE HOUSE SO WE CAN TALK.

MisterSaturnine
2008-01-27, 05:39 PM
"Alright. Alright, fine, I'll try and keep quiet. Anything to keep me out of jail. And you can call me Eddie. The telepath will stick to the Sinner's Saint, or Mr. Balthazar, which I kinda like."

Sannit
2008-01-27, 05:40 PM
"Mr. Balthazar, I think it would be best if you were to tell us everything you know about Father Autumn. I know you want revenge right now, but the best way to get justice for the crimes committed against you - and the people you were framed for killing - is to help us catch him."

Darn you ninjaposters, now my post makes no sense. *edits it*
Voshkod, I'm not sure I entirely understand the relationship between Checkmate and SLEA. I feel like I've missed something there.

Voshkod
2008-01-27, 05:46 PM
Checkmate has no relationship with SLEA. As he says, you can't spell SLAVE without SLEA. However, he sort of pities the people working for it, and tries to help them out. He's an independent operator.

Podger
2008-01-27, 05:55 PM
"My mysterious benefactor would prefer something a little less formal. We can take his statement at the McDonald's down the street, I think that would be more preferable to Eddie as well."

But at the same time he is a billionaire. He should be able to post a bond (I'm imagining a hearing to officially clear his name, until then Sinner's Saint would be released under the supervision of Escher and Tin) even if he has to launder the money a little first. Everyone is connected and has to work together, until the hearing at least.

Voshkod
2008-01-27, 06:06 PM
"Enough," says Escher's cell phone. "Mr. Saint. I'd like to meet you, with Tin and Escher or alone, before you make statements. Before you come back to life." An address follows.

Sorry, but Checkmate has his own agenda here.

MisterSaturnine
2008-01-27, 07:21 PM
"Ah, I finally get to hear the voice I'm assuming is attached to Big Brother. I'll go in with Escher and Tin. I don't think Escher's going to stab in me in the back, and Tin can go ahead and try. It won't do him much good. And I'm not any statements at all until my name is cleared without a shadow of a doubt. And like Tin said, the only way to do that is to smash in Autumn's head. I'm willing to meet with you first, of course, but it had better be brief."

He turned to Escher, no longer addressing his cell phone.

"Take me to your leader."

Podger
2008-01-28, 06:58 PM
*Sigh* "Fine, Tin if you want to keep your job you should come with us. Continuity, tell me where the gaps are in the police cordon, uh-huh, okay."

Escher led them past the police, circled several blocks, eventually leading them to an emergency safe house Checkmate had told him about months ago. Escher felt uneasy, he had met Checkmate after months of correspondence.

The fact that Checkmate was revealing himself for an evidently psychotic runaway convict seemed strange. Checkmate had set the board and Escher knew that he was only a pawn in a living chess game.

But if I make it to the other side I could become anything.... Wait a minute, what is the other side?

Voshkod
2008-01-28, 07:31 PM
Recap the description of the safe house:

The building had seen better days, and those days were seventy years ago. Now it was a haven for hookers and junkies and people on their way out. Except Apartment 508. A one bedroom, one bath, haven. Modernist furniture. 80 inch plasma TV on one wall with a hard drive containing thousands of movies. A full fridge. A collection of clothes, men and women, in various sizes. A lunch spread. Beer.

Checkmate greeted them at the door in his, well, costume. A nightmare of black and white squares with a rook symbol in the middle of the chest. He wore a mask.

"Good afternoon, gentlemen. Welcome. Tin, nice to meet you. I trust we'll be gentlemen and not use our powers on each other? Escher, good to see you again. And Mr. Saint. Welcome. Please, get yourselves something to eat and drunk. And rest assured; this apartment is completely impervious to monitoring."

He waited a few moments until everyone had a chance to refresh themselves.

"Now, Mr. Saint. Every cop is a criminal, and all the sinners saints. I know the Stones well enough. I want to hear your story. I want to hear about Father Autumn. And I want to know if you intend to stay dead."

Sannit
2008-01-28, 08:23 PM
Tin looked around. Not bad. This "Checkmate" fellow seems to have done very well for himself....why had he never heard of him? ((Or would he have heard of him?))

He nodded at his host's request. "Of course; I would never invade the privacy of someone who means me no harm." At least, for the time being. "Thank you, by the way, for providing us with all these refreshments." Tin helped himself to food and drink. This wasn't so bad, this "organized vigilante" business. And he was being paid to attend parties! Certainly worth all the paperwork.

Voshkod
2008-01-28, 09:42 PM
OOC: Tin probably would have heard of Checkmate, if only as a source of information.

MisterSaturnine
2008-01-28, 10:53 PM
Eddie grinned.

"Glad you got the reference. Looks like you are as smart as you most certainly think you are. I think I can tell you a bit about Father Autumn, I have a fairly good memory of the interview. Father Autumn started as a superhero at the age of...I think 25, during the mid 1960's, active mostly in San Francisco and Los Angeles, and stopped quite a few threats in his time. He retired about 22 years ago. I interviewed him on the 10th anniversary of his retirement. He should be in his late 60's by now. When I was interviewing him, I found his manifesto. Basically, he thinks that all human beings are corrupt, and the only way to cleanse the Earth is to kill them all, except two, and start from scratch. No doubt he imagines himself as a God figure, guiding the new human race. He likely shapeshifted to leave my fingerprints at the crime scene, and I would bet my life that he killed those people and that's he's planning to kill a lot more. He disappeared about 9 years back. Looks like I'm more coherent than I seem, eh? Memory's still crystal after all this time."

Voshkod
2008-01-29, 08:26 AM
"So, why are you in Skyline? Do you think he's here? Because he could be a big problem, gentlemen." Checkmate sipped his beer. "You need to understand that ever since that fiasco in Denver with Rockslide, Congress is looking at registration laws again. Unmasking laws. Cracking down on the dangerous superheroes. If we have a crazy one running around, that won't help matters at all. Now, I'm doing what I can to keep these things from moving forward. I'm not going to let them know who I am. I can't take that risk."

MisterSaturnine
2008-01-29, 01:40 PM
"I'm in Skyline because I'm worried they'd catch me if I stayed in Los Angeles, and because I figured I might find some supers like you guys to help me out. To be honest, I don't know where he is. Autumn's smart, though. Seems to me like if he really wants to find a way to kill a lot of people, he needs allies. It wouldn't be unlikely that he's attracted a following in Skyline--what better ally than an ally with powers?"

Voshkod
2008-01-30, 10:16 AM
"All right, then." Checkmate sits back and steeples his fingers. "Here's my proposal, Mr. Saint. I erase you. Everything about you. You never existed. I build you a new identity, new social security number, new credit history, the whole nine yards. And you continue your quest to find Father Autumn, with my asssitance, both financial and, well, computational."

MisterSaturnine
2008-01-30, 11:51 AM
"...Alright. Deal. Eddie Balthazar is dead, and I become someone else, while the Sinner's Saint goes looking for Father Autumn. But once this whole thing's done, I want to go back to my family."

He stops for a moment, realizing how little he knows about what's happened to his family in his 12 years of absence.

"Oh, and do me a favor. Tell me what's going on with them."

I'm sorry for my post being terrible. It's early in the morning. ><

Podger
2008-01-30, 07:35 PM
"Sinner's Saint, you said it yourself, Eddie Balthazar is dead. It has been twelve years, your wife moved on. She married again."

Escher steeled himself for the potential meltdown. Of course the only other option was lying to Eddie and when he found out the truth....

Voshkod
2008-01-30, 07:58 PM
"The man's right, Saint," Checkmate said with a shrug. "She remarried a local reporter, she's happy. She works for a computer company out in Los Angeles." A printer hummed to life behind him. "What do you want your new name to be?"

MisterSaturnine
2008-01-30, 09:58 PM
Eddie's eyes narrowed and his fists clenched, but his rage was strangely subdued.

"Fine. But I'm still going back. I want them to know I'm not a murderer. And as for a name..."

He stood and thought for a few moments, and eventually came to a decision.

"How about Jack Busoni? Jack 'cause I like the sound, Busoni as in one of the Count of Monte Cristo's aliases. His story is remarkably similar to mine. It's a little disconcerting."

Voshkod
2008-01-31, 09:43 AM
"All right, Jack," Checkmate said as the printer behind him began to hum. "Coming right up, a social security card, a birth certificate, driver's license, all the paper that makes you who you are." He stood, and opened a drawer in the desk. A set of keys and an envelope were tossed over to "Jack."

"That's the keys to this apartment - rent's paid for the year. Ten thousand in used bills. You can use some of the clothes in the back - I keep all sizes here, and make yourself at home." He hands Jack a card, and then passes one to Tin as well. A phone number and a rook are on it. "That's Connie's number. She works for me, she can help you out with information, other things. Yes, she will tell me what you ask about."

Fiery Justice
2008-02-01, 12:31 AM
(Should I be providing you guys with plot hooks?)

Podger
2008-02-01, 04:41 PM
"Tin, I hope that we can trust you not to mention this to the SLEA. Don't worry, you won't lose your job. Are you going to help us?"

I changed some of the previous posts so that telepathic laws are no longer mentioned.

We seem to have a plot hook, if you could create a supervillain group for Father Autumn to work with that would be great - or maybe Sinner's Saint really is insane, either way

Voshkod: I think I was misinterpreting your character, I thought of him as similar to Oracle from DC, I'll treat your character a little differently from now on

Sannit
2008-02-01, 05:14 PM
"I think I have no choice but to help you," Tin replied. "Now that I know Saint is innocent, my mission here is to prove it." He shook his head, and took a bite of cracker. "I don't know why we can't just use my powers as evidence in court - but I'd like to bring Father Autumn to justice as well." After all, what better way to be a superhero than to catch a supervillain?

"So where do we start? We can't just stumble around the city until we bump into him, especially since we have no idea what he looks like."

MisterSaturnine
2008-02-01, 07:51 PM
Sorry for that leave of absence, guys. Things have been really hectic.

After taking the things given to him and changing into a white button-down, a brand new pair of jeans and leather belt, Eddie--or Jack, rather--walked back into the room.

"Technically, I know what he looks like, but it doesn't matter much. He's a shapeshifter. He can pass as anyone. Maybe we could do some good old fashioned interrogation. You know, the kind with brass knuckles involved."

Podger
2008-02-01, 08:25 PM
"The problem isn't how we ask. It is who we ask. Father Autumn went underground, we can't track him. However if you are right, Eddie, he will have made new friends. Powerful, psychotic friends. We look for them. Start in jails, then move on to arrest warrants and dossiers, then we bash the information out of random street punks and we should do it in that order."

Voshkod
2008-02-01, 09:11 PM
Checkmate's more of Lex Luthor then Oracle. Very powerful, very rich, but not evil (yet).

"Gentlemen, I have some business to attend to. You all have Connie's number, and you can contact me through her. I don't intend to get into a direct conflict about Father Autumn. I'll assist you, and I'll hope you well. If this man is as dangerous as he sounds, he has to be stopped."

Checkmate rises and heads for the door.

MisterSaturnine
2008-02-01, 10:41 PM
"Fine. I know your type, Checkmate. Give the tools and do none of the dirty work. Lucky for you, I'm someone who likes to do dirty work. So...yeah. I wouldn't mind taking a visit to the local jail, as long as I'm outside the bars. Shall we?"

Voshkod
2008-02-02, 03:06 PM
"Believe what you'd like, Saint. Just remember; what I give I can take away. Good afternoon." Checkmate leaves.

Ah, arrogant bastard mode. Always makes me feel a little crawly, he thinks as he heads back toward AIA HQ and home, nanocams surrounding him, watching for threats or shadows.

Fiery Justice
2008-02-02, 04:30 PM
(Wait, wait wait, where are each of you?)

Sannit
2008-02-02, 07:03 PM
((I believe we're all together in the apartment, except for Checkmate, who just left.))

Voshkod
2008-02-02, 07:30 PM
(I can still be there, if that's convenient for the GM)

Fiery Justice
2008-02-02, 10:02 PM
(Oh it is is, it is.)
You hear thudding sounds coming from the walls, thud, thud, thud then it seems to reach an even beat like the sounds of steps. If you look there is a strange creature along the outside wall that you don't recognize, six legs, trilateral buggish thing based around a thin pillarish body.

Voshkod
2008-02-03, 07:41 AM
"That . . .," Checkmate says slowly, "is not something you see every day. Connie, can you run that through the database, priority?"

Fiery Justice
2008-02-03, 09:31 AM
(Woops, thats legs not Legals... Must remember not to post these things)
It appears to be the alien from the crash this morning.

MisterSaturnine
2008-02-03, 08:42 PM
"Alien, huh? How about I introduce it to some Earth weaponry?"

He raised his pistol in the air, and fired into the center of its pillar-like body with mediocre accuracy.

Fiery Justice
2008-02-03, 11:06 PM
The creature makes no noise (in audible range, if Escher has his ears tuned to low frequencies it gives off a long screech) as a bullet rips through one of its legs, crumbling down the side without proper use of its leg.

MisterSaturnine
2008-02-04, 12:18 AM
The Sinner's Saint let out a sadistic chuckle. "Looks like our little alien goes down easy." He put away his gun, and took out his brass knuckles, putting them on and approaching the creature. "This should be fun."

Voshkod
2008-02-04, 12:54 PM
"Jesus, Saint, you ever hear of 'we come in peace?'" Checkmate leans out the window to look at the thing again, reaching out with his mind to feel what sort of technology it might be sporting. "At a minimum we want to take it alive."

MisterSaturnine
2008-02-04, 10:15 PM
"Fine. I'll just make it suffer. And peace never works out. You come in peace, and the person who doesn't stabs you in the back. Ever wonder why those alien movies never end with a group hug?"

Just as a warning, it's unlikely I'll be able to post tomorrow, as I'm working the polls.

Sannit
2008-02-05, 03:16 AM
Tin, recovering from the shock he initially felt upon seeing the thing, began to probe its mind - he didn't know if he actually could, but his skills worked on animals, so maybe they worked on aliens, too. And if he could probe it....he could subdue it.

So, uh, does the probing work?

Fiery Justice
2008-02-05, 09:28 PM
The creature is mentally saying something like, "PAIN! MY LEG! WHY!" though translating its thought pattern prevents any details at the moment.

The creature appears mechanically unequipped.

Podger
2008-02-05, 10:23 PM
Escher burps releasing the gases he was using to disguise his face at the same instant his face twists into a silver mask. "You know the problem with vigilantes? Besides the funny masks, weird names, and horrible bravado, I mean. You don't understand social and economic problem solving."

Escher slips past Sinner's Saint and holds a hand out for him to stay back. Clambering out the window Escher drops five floors, (if Tin can read his thoughts he's thinking, Ow, my feet, my poor aching feet). He slouches, shrinking into his baggy clothes and sidles toward the alien.

He wants to take a blood sample. After all he is by himself an almost fully equipped lab and he has two degrees in biology (Zoology and Molecular Biology let us say)

edit:
He is going to see if a pain killer/knock out drug will work.

Sannit
2008-02-06, 03:33 AM
I've decided that having a telepath be my character was a dumb, dumb idea. Any character whose abilities depend upon the simultaneous actions/thoughts of another character - in an RP, anyway - is a bit hindered. Note to self: do not do in the future.

<<I don't think the alien is hostile,>> Tin says, telepathically, to the others. <<It doesn't seem to understand why you hurt it. I think it would, if it perceived itself as being in a fight.>>

MisterSaturnine
2008-02-06, 10:10 PM
"OK, non-hostile. How boring. Oh, and unless you need to tell me something discretely, say it with your mouth, not in my head. Kinda weirds me out. So, what the hell does this thing want?"

Although he stops advancing at the creature, he doesn't drop his guard or pocket his weapons.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2008-02-07, 04:33 PM
Across the city, a man in black with a red bandanna over his face is stopping crrimes. Small ones, like muggings, and in front of cameras. After each crime, he puts a poster on a wall within view of the camera, saying:

Meet Me at the docks, checkmate, I have something to show you. Bring a camera.

The posters aren't common enogh to be on every camera, but enough not to be a coincidence that cameras can see them.

Voshkod
2008-02-07, 05:52 PM
"Tin, tell it we're sorry, and we're ready to talk, please," Checkmate said. "It may have something useful to say."

A flash message from Continuity. Meeting at the dock. "Jeez. Popular today, aren't I?" He checked his watch. "OK, then."

Near the man in black, an ATM screen starts blinking. "I'll be there at sunset."

Sannit
2008-02-07, 07:00 PM
Tin nodded and looked down at the creature. <<We apologize for our companion's rash actions,>> he explained to it. <<Is there anything we can do to help repair our mistake?>>

Fiery Justice
2008-02-09, 03:08 PM
(You guys are confusing, is Escher trying to knock out the Alien or Pain relieve it or is he doing it to his own feet?)

Podger
2008-02-09, 10:17 PM
Escher takes a drop of the alien's blood from the ground and tastes it. His face goes slack and he sways backward away from the alien. Head buzzing he works to decode the basics of the alien structure.

Don't care about the feet. Want to both relieve the alien's pain and knock it out. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

I'm going to need to know how much Escher manages to decode, DM's call. And if morphine or other pain killer/general anesthetic will work.

Fiery Justice
2008-02-11, 07:15 PM
(Your able to decode the DNA quiet throughly, and its obvious enough that the tranqs will work. Assuming you do it)
The creatures mind sends back a message, "Where Momma..." before spiraling off into silence.

Voshkod
2008-02-11, 08:09 PM
"Excellent," Checkmate says. "Now, I have a lab near here. I'll take care of this, make sure it isn't a threat. Can't having it running around outside of a biolevel four facility, can we?"

Sannit
2008-02-11, 08:16 PM
<<It's a child,>> Tin told his friends, a tint of surprise in his voice. <<It's looking for its mother. I hope the mother isn't much bigger, for your sake, Saint.>>

Voshkod
2008-02-11, 08:21 PM
"Child or not, it's a threat until we know it's not. So let's get it out of here before anyone sees it and get it somewhere safe, where I can examine it."

Podger
2008-02-11, 08:52 PM
"This is interstellar contact. It should be taken to an SLEA agency, Checkmate. And Tin? It looks like you might get an early promotion. I'd say this alien was wandering about when it was attacked by a gang of young, vicious criminals. There will of course be the video evidence to back this up. Right Checkmate?"

Escher casually tosses his cellphone to Tin. He turns toward Checkmate and waits for a response.

MisterSaturnine
2008-02-12, 12:46 AM
"I don't care how big its momma is. If it so much as touches me, it's dead as doornail. I don't need fancy powers to hurt things."

Saint looks a bit uncomfortable. Diplomacy's no longer his element--although he's slowly adapting to being around people he can trust, it's not an easy shift for him.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2008-02-12, 05:32 PM
At the Docks, the man in black can be seen rearanging the shipping crates and other objects in the area into a tall pyramid. After he is finished, he sits on top of this pyramid and waits. An hour or so later, a girl with a blue aura flies to him and hands him a folder and stack of papers, then leaves.

Voshkod
2008-02-13, 11:16 AM
"Can't spell 'slave' without SLEA, Escher. You're going to hand this to them, and they'll hand it over to the government, and our little multi-legged friend will be on a dissection table within a day. But hey, that's what good SLEA member do, right?" Checkmate's verbal sneer is plain. "Well, look, you go do what you need to do. Some other nutjob in a costume wants to see me."

Podger
2008-02-13, 07:45 PM
"I said it once, social and economic problem solving. Who said anything about a government dissection table? Checkmate, you come as close to anyone as controlling the bloody internet. You have, I don't know how much, power in this country and around the world. I have no problem with you guiding humanity through this contact but by no means should we keep this to ourselves."

So, this is one of the bickering get nothing done superteams. Damn it, can't we fight pure evil gremlins or something? I want to punch somethings face down to its buttocks (and no Escher can't technically do that, hooray for vague, nebulous powers!)

Oh, and are there aliens on Earth or is this first contact?.

Voshkod
2008-02-13, 08:34 PM
"Can't trust the government, Escher. Turn this over to them and you're making a mistake. But I'm not about to start a fight over it. I'll get whatever they learn off their servers when they've flushed the little guy's pieces down the drain."

MisterSaturnine
2008-02-13, 10:27 PM
"Be quiet or I feed both of you your legs. Let's not discuss politics while ugly here skitters away. Tin, you're with SLEA, right? I say we listen to Checkmate for now, get it to a safe place, and let him look it over. But Tin, you'll be watching and making sure nothing goes wrong--if our favorite computer nerd even starts thinking something funny, you'll notify us. And SLEA, of course. Sound good?"

He pauses, his eyebrows furred in thought.

"Something's definitely wrong here if I'm serving as the voice of reason."

Wouldn't want that to happen. Yay for pushing your characters in the right direction!

Fiery Justice
2008-02-14, 12:09 PM
(This is definitely NOT first contact. There are however, relatively few races that can still be hurt by bullets. Which is most of why humanity has taken a "Stay out of Outer Space" policy. I can do pure evil Goblins though, if you like.)

Voshkod
2008-02-14, 08:00 PM
"Escher, you just said it. I know things. You can believe what you want about SLEA. But some day you'll need to face the truth." With that, Checkmate opened the door. "You want to help the alien, go right ahead. SLEA will take care of him for you. I have other things to deal with. Tin, take care. Saint, I will be watching you." With that, he shut the door, and headed for the docks.

The Docks

Surrounded by an almost invisible mist of nanos, Checkmate approached the man. "All right, you got my attention. What do you want?"

Podger
2008-02-14, 08:08 PM
"That works well, Eddie. Thank you. Meanwhile I need to go to work, contact me if you need anything."

I was kidding about the goblins, though the only way we are going to get any fights is if we can't negotiate.

I think my character is lawful good. He believes in the American way, social determinism, and democracy in general, the putz.

edit: nanos? Since when did he get nanos? And yeah I got ninjaed, took to long posting, lets assume that Checkmate took the alien, shall we?

MisterSaturnine
2008-02-14, 10:52 PM
"What do you need to get working on, Esch? I don't really have anything else to do, maybe I could help out. If you need anyone to do some strong-arming for you."

Oh boy, alignment discussion. Heh, Eddie probably started Neutral Good, then slipped into Chaotic Neutral somewhere in prison. With thing going the way they are, he's likely to eventually work his way to Chaotic Good. That, or I get to go through with my secret plan for 'im. And now, it doesn't involve "joining the dark side." :smallwink:

Podger
2008-02-15, 05:51 AM
"Heh, no not as such. The price of independence is $8.25 an hour at your local McDonald's."

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2008-02-15, 09:37 AM
"Checkmate, hello. Or would you prefer me to call you Mr.Dole?" Before Checkmate has time to respond, he adds, "Don't worry. I'm not here to blackmail or threaten. I'm here to help. The SLEA has you on their watch list. They know everything about you: Your powers, your drug addiction, ALL your company's illegal activities. They're just waiting to pounce. What I'm here for is to tell you this, show you these," he hands Checkmate the stack of papers, detailing everything he just told you, " and to let you know you aren't alone. You may remember the so-called supervillan Kingpin? The news put a bad spin on him, calling him a crime lord and mass-murderer, but the truth is that he was much like you. My parents were part of the SLEA sect that knew better. The truth was: Men like you and Kingpin don't do only good all the time, but in the end you help Skyline more than the SLEA ever will. It's because of Kingpin that the cops here are so well-organized, that their cars have service roads to get where they need to go. Those are things you never hear about. And unfortunately, the prevailing view in the SLEA is that you're dangerous and need to be disabled. That file in your hand contains everything the SLEA has on you. It's the only copy. My sister stole it out of a safe at Headquarters. I advise you burn it. So why am I here? I'm here because while you can see everything going on in the city, there isn't much you can do beyong calling the cops. What you need are hands, a personal army, if you will. I'll put my allegiance with you. I don't care if you have me kill, steal or lie. I'm offering myself as a tool, for you to do with what you will. I tust your judgement more than mine."

MisterSaturnine
2008-02-15, 05:45 PM
Eddie smiles his patent-pending crocodile grin and lets out a dry chuckle. "I see. Well, then, I'll be checking out my new place of residence, and maybe getting my hands on some new weaponry to keep me company."

Voshkod
2008-02-17, 08:51 AM
Checkmate doesn't bother to look at the file. "Lots of people have claimed I'm Dole, or Bill Gates, or a hundred other geeks. None of them have made it stick. But thanks for the information, I'll take a look at it. Now, you don't seem to like SLEA. I'm not a fan either, but I'm not about to break the law over it. Honestly, this whole thing smells like a trap. Why don't you come down here and tell me your name?"

Yes, nanos. He didn't deploy them meeting with Escher and Tin, because he trusts them and was in his home turf (which had plenty of defenses). When he's on his own, the defensives nanos add a little bit of protection.

MisterSaturnine
2008-02-17, 10:30 PM
Hey, makes sense to me.

Meanwhile, a Mr. Jack Busoni goes shopping, and by the end of the day has his hands on a rapier ((something like the left-most or middle one here (http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/870/65015704.JPG))) and some new knives to keep him company.

Yay for filler posts. :smallwink:

Fiery Justice
2008-02-19, 08:22 AM
(Okay, two things: Positions everyone and Should I plot hook any of you?)

MisterSaturnine
2008-02-20, 01:27 PM
What exactly do you mean by positions? Sorry for my confusion. :smallfrown:

Podger
2008-02-20, 09:30 PM
Work, and whatever the other's plot hook are that works for me.

Fiery Justice
2008-02-20, 09:52 PM
What exactly do you mean by positions? Sorry for my confusion. :smallfrown:

[spoiler]Where are you?

MisterSaturnine
2008-02-20, 10:21 PM
Oh, right then. For now, we'll say that Eddie/Jack is at his new apartment given to him by Checkmate admiring his new weaponry.

Voshkod
2008-02-22, 05:59 PM
Checkmate was at the docks, awaiting a response.

Sannit
2008-02-23, 03:27 AM
Tin in the apartment, giving SLEA an update on his status. He doesn't mention his new mission with the others, per their request.

Oh, and I (the real life I) am having weird router issues, so my access to the Internet is unpredictable at the moment. Just a heads-up.

Fiery Justice
2008-02-23, 06:07 PM
(Sorry I haven't posted, this is just an apology statement as well. Its been a.. busy week.)

Fiery Justice
2008-02-24, 09:05 PM
(Alright, here's a serious post, thanks for your patience everyone. I think it might be better to do it this way, so I've arranged for certain more cinematic and interesting. Here we go. Welcome to the next big thing. I hope.)
A great hole of fire in the sky appears, blotting out the night sky. Great objects begin to fall. You hear the sound of crashing. For some reason though, they don't seem to shake any of the buildings that your in or around. This city was clearly built to last. As the objects continue to hammer inward, there are loud sirens. Those of you who have lived here awhile know the drill, all supers at the ready, everyone else take cover from the destruction.
(The Objects are pods that unleash some kind of creature that lashes onto humans and controls them. Their relatively easy to dispatch individually, and can simply be plucked right off if it really bothers you. However there are a lot of them. Oh the creatures are kind of moss-like in texture and their solid red.)

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2008-02-26, 03:24 PM
War is about to respond when the rift opens. "Looks like we're needed. Hopefully this will convince you of my loyalty." Just then, a pod comes crashing down, toppling his pyramid a moment after he jums off. When the pod opens, War immediately blasts the creature that comes out.

MisterSaturnine
2008-02-27, 02:21 PM
Eddie looks out the window and grins widely.

"Alright, some action." He goes into his closet and changes into a white dress shirt, navy blue dress pants, and a brand spankin' new navy blue wide-brimmed hat and overcoat. He finishes off the outfit with a black leather belt, gloves, boots, and a purple Comedia del Arte mask. Grabbing his weapons, he opens his window and runs down the fire escape. After being greeted by one of the pod creatures he shoves his rapier up into where he thinks their face would be.

"I think my favorite thing about a costume is it gives me an excuse."

Podger
2008-02-27, 10:08 PM
"Great. I make a false ID. Find a job. Live a nice quiet life, and then the sky open up and rains down the leavings of swampman. The universe just doesn't like. It is all about me, oh yes it is."

While muttering to himself Escher puts on his warface and goes outside to rip the little buggers to shreds. Concentrating on the facehuggers he starts to head toward one of the pods.

MisterSaturnine
2008-02-28, 11:54 AM
Hacking his way through the pod creatures, covered in what he can only assume is blood of one kind of another and chuckling to himself, he eventually comes across Escher.

"Hey, there, Esch! Great day for killing, huh?"

Podger
2008-02-28, 07:27 PM
Escher's hair took on a decidedly pointy aspect. He pulled a cigar out of his pocket, "Bub, there are three thing that I don't like in this world. One," a bone claw shot out from between his knuckles, "watered down beer. Two: people who make fun of Canadians, eh? Three: alien face huggers who try to conquer this mother copulating planet."

Two more claws erupted from his hand. Escher sliced away one of the drones and bit into it. Storing the blood sample in a small blister for later analysis he called up Continuity. "What's happening gorgeous?"

MisterSaturnine
2008-02-28, 10:31 PM
"Funny, Esch, funny. Although the shapeshifting still makes me uneasy, I'm beginning to see the entertainment opportunities in it. I don't have anything in particular against them, but they're in the wrong place at the wrong time. And I know all too well what the consequence is for that--"

The Saint takes out one of his knives and carves into a pod-person, cutting up the stomach, in the middle of the ribcage, and jerking out after biting into the lower jaw.

"And look! Now they do, too!"