PDA

View Full Version : Lorwyn Races [PEACH]

Eldmor
2008-01-24, 12:44 AM
I'll be running a D&D3.5 game soon on the plane of Lorwyn from the Magic: The Gathering universe. From suggestions in an earlier thread, I've come up with these playable races. I've decided that treefolk and giants give too much of an advantage to be balanced PCs. (Plus they'd make great antagonists.)
I need some feedback in order to balance these races. Most of the crunch is based on pure fluff and the D&D analog for the creature.

Elf
• +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma.
• Medium Size
• Base land speed of 35 feet.
• +2 racial bonus to Search, Spot, and Listen.
• Automatic Language: Common and Elven. Learnable Languages: Kith, Folian, and Fae.
• Favored Class: Ranger
• Domains: Law, Evil, Glory, Purification
• Allies: Faeries, Kithkin, and Treefolk. Indifferent: Merrow. Hate: All others.

Kithkin
• -2 Strength, +2 Constitution.
• Small Size (+1 to attacks, +1 bonus to AC, +4 to Hide, -4 to grapple, use small weapons, and can only carry Ύ normal capacity.)
• Base land speed of 20 feet.
• Thoughtweft: All kithkin have a constant Empathy (as the power) with each other as long they have line of effect. For each kithkin within range of thoughtweft, a kithkin can have a constant Defensive Precognition, Offensive Precognition, or Offensive Prescience as though he spent a number of power points on powers equal to the number of kithkin within thoughtweft. These “power points” can be distributed on the three powers in any manner and take a full-round action to redistribute. You can have no more “power points” to spend then your current level.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Kith. Learnable Languages: Elven, Titan, Folian, and Aquese.
• Favored Class: Fighter
• Domains: Law, Good, Protection, Knowledge, Community
• Allies: Merrow, Elves, Treefolk, and Giants. Enemies: Boggarts and Faeries. Indifferent: All others.

Faerie
• -6 Strength, -2 Constitution, +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma.
• Tiny Size (+2 to attacks, +2 bonus to AC, +8 to Hide, -8 to grapple, use tiny weapons, and can only carry ½ normal capacity.)
• Base land speed of 10 feet and a fly speed of 35 feet (good).
• Low-Light Vision: Faeries treats bright and shadowy illumination as if its radius is doubled.
• Darkvision out to 60 feet.
• Lithe: Faeries receive Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat. [So this way Faerie skirmishers can exist.]
• Automatic Languages: Common and Fae. Learnable Languages: Aquese, Elven, and Gobb.
• Favored Class: Bard
• Domains: Trickery, Chaos, Evil, Fey, Magic
• Allies: Merrow, Elves, and Boggarts. Enimies: Kithkin and Giants. Indifferent: All others.

Merrow
• -2 Strength, +2 Charisma
• Medium Size
• Base land speed of 5 feet and a swim speed of 40 feet.
• Amphibious: Merfolk can breathe air and water.
• Aquatic: Merfolk have a +8 to Swim and can Take 10 under stress for Swim.
• +2 to Diplomacy, Knowledge (Nature), and Gather Information.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Aquese. Learnable Languages: Kith, Fae, and Pyre.
• Favored Class: Druid.
• Domains: Water, Commerce, Weather, Trade
• Allies: Kithkin, Faeries, and Flamekin. Hate: None. Indifferent: All others.

Boggarts
• -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma
• Small Size (+1 to attacks, +1 bonus to AC, +4 to Hide, -4 to grapple, use small weapons, and can only carry Ύ normal capacity.)
• Base land speed of 30 feet.
• Darkvision out to 30 feet.
• +4 to Move Silently and Slight of Hand.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Gobb. Learnable Languages: Pyre.
• Favored Class: Rogue
• Domains: Feast, Destruction, Family, Luck
• Allies: Flamekin. Enemies: Elves and Treefolk. Indifferent: All others.

Flamekin
• Living Elemental (Fire) creature type. [Imagine Living Construct converted.]
• Medium Size.
• Base land speed of 30 feet.
• Low-Light Vision: Flamekin treat bright and shadowy illumination as if its radius is doubled.
• +4 dodge bonus to AC against elves.
• Living Flame: Any creature making a melee attack against a flamekin suffers 1 point of fire damage. Flamekin also begin to drown as soon as they come into contact with water.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Pyre. Learnable Languages: Aquese and Gobb.
• Favored Class: Scout
• Domains: Fire, Strength, Sun, Wrath
• Allies: Merrow and Boggarts. Enemies: Elves and Treefolk. Indifferent: All others.

Ideas for racial feats would also be appreciated. The flamekin seem to have a great potential for them. :smallsmile:

Eldmor
2008-01-24, 08:34 PM
Bump. Please? :smallfrown:

Schylerwalker
2008-01-25, 01:59 AM
Boggarts are taking the place of Goblins, I take it?

Eldmor
2008-01-25, 02:03 AM
Yes. Kithkin are analog halfling/dwarves, faeries are analog pixies, merrow are analog merfolk, boggarts are analog goblins, and flamekin are something new. (Although if I had to pick something to compare them to, it would be Warforged.)

Athaniar
2008-01-25, 01:43 PM
Racial domains?

Ganurath
2008-01-25, 01:57 PM
Suggestions for domains:
Elves: You need multiple deities for the different roles and castes.
-Flawless: Law, Evil, Pact, Plant
-Exquisite: Law, Evil, Creation, Plant
-Immaculate: Law, Evil, Creation, Community
-Perfect: Law, Evil, Glory, Community
-Winnower: Law, Evil, Plant, Death
-Admirer: Law, Evil, Pact, Knowledge
Kithkin: Looks fine.
Faerie: Take out Magic and Fey for Dream and Knowledge.
Merrow: Swap out Weather in favor of Travel.
Boggarts: ...You serious? Chaos, Trickery, Destruction, and Knowledge.
Flamekin: These guys work the forges, believe in personal growth, are made of fire, and wander the world on the Path of Flame. Creation, Chaos, Fire, and Travel.

Also: The rangers are just the most militant minority of the elves, and thus the part that sees the most play. Favored class of bard. The fae are tricksters with trickster magic, so their favored class is beguiler.

Eldmor
2008-01-25, 02:04 PM
Lord Xavius: Yes. The Magic universe doesn't really support the role of gods all that well. (At least in my opinion.) Even if there were, Lorwyn is more of a nature focused setting. This is just for the racial norm though. You can pick and choose domains as long as they're reasonable and make sense. More of a guideline than a requirement.

EDIT: Ganu; I had really no idea about boggarts since they seemed all over the place and I haven't read the novels yet. :smalltongue: I initially did have faerie as Beguiler and I think I will switch it back. Bard also makes sense now for elves, just I got distracted by the multitude of elf-ranger cards.

Ganurath
2008-01-25, 02:16 PM
Ganu; I had really no idea about boggarts since they seemed all over the place and I haven't read the novels yet. :smalltongue: I initially did have faerie as Beguiler and I think I will switch it back. Bard also makes sense now for elves, just I got distracted by the multitude of elf-ranger cards.Boggarts are hedonists of the worst sort, they value only new sensations, pleasure or pain. There is only one crime among boggarts, and that is refusing to share a newfound sensation or object with other boggarts. The punishment is exile, which is naturally torturous for the boggarts, since they crave sensation and involvement in the world. The reason they gather to feast isn't just for the food: it's a chance for the different warrens to share sensations with one another. Each warren is run by an aunty, which is pretty much whichever boggart is oldest, so the aunty can be a guy even if most are female. In short: boggarts are the lovechildren of goblins and kender.