PDA

View Full Version : A Balancing Act



Pages : [1] 2

Talic
2008-01-24, 01:15 AM
Welcome to the Monk Balance Test, conceived by myself, inspired by Sir Giacomo, and ran by several others. If all participants would check in, we'll get this ball rolling. Please submit a link to your character sheet with your first post.
Credits for the participants
Sorceror, Played by Solo (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=4511)
Monk, Played by Lord Khaine (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=7780)
Barbarian, played by Worira (http://www.dndonlinegames.com/view.php?id=64419)
Cleric, played by Rachel Lorelai (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=2608)

and...

Opposition Forces (OpFor), Run by ZeroNumerous.


INTRO

Your group was tasked with a noble goal, tracking down and destroying the halfling lich, Cilat Brightmoor. Knowing that his phylactery was first key in laying this threat low for all time, you began hunting it down. However, every divination has revealed no information, either to its nature or its location. Resorting to another tack, your group decided to engage the lich in battle, destroy it, and keep divinations up for Cilat, whom you at least have some information on. You were successful in this task, however, were not able to locate the lich when he formed. The first time you were able to detect him was when he entered the prime material plane, and teleported there nearly instantaneously.

The lich, apparently caught by surprise, darted back into the portal he'd emerged from, followed closely by your group. Only then did you realize that the portal was keyed. When you arrived, you were without gear of any sort, in a small wooden shack. A rock with a Continual Flame upon it sits in the middle of the table, illuminating a short letter, carefully laid out.

"To my would-be assassins:

It's been a long time since I've encountered anyone who even came close to a decent challenge to my abilities, and I thank you for that. I consider myself a paragon of fair play, and so I wish to return the favor. You've destroyed me with a fair challenge, and I wish to return that favor. In this room, you will find a loose floorboard, with non-magical versions of your gear, along with the same for armor, and basic gear. Naturally, in the spirit of fair play, I've spared no expense, and you will find this all of the highest quality. Now, you could likely just whisk away from here, through planar travel, with no harm at all, but, before you do, consider this... At the end of your test lies my phylactery.

You have the opportunity to win your gear back during this challenge. Two thirds of your equipment is divided between two chests, that you will see on your travels. They are naturally locked and trapped, but the trap is such that if you can locate the keys to each chest, the trap will be rendered safe. The remaining third of your equipment is held by one of the creatures you will see in your travels.

To let you know in advance, the nature of this realm is such that all divination magics are completely thwarted. It is for this reason that I chose this to be the resting place of my phylactery. Enough of my rambling, however, you have a phylactery to destroy! Good hunting, and I hope you'll forgive me if I don't wish you luck in your travels.

Cilat"

Sure enough, there is a loose floor panel in the corner, and masterwork versions of all weapons and armor is there, along with basic clothing of a servicable nature. Outside, you see a massive cliff, easily 300 feet tall. In the distance, easily visible against the formless black above, lies a small glowing portal atop the cliff.

Challenge 1: Using no magical equipment, the entire party must reach the portal atop the cliff.

Solo
2008-01-24, 01:24 AM
It's been a long time since I've encountered anyone who even came close to a decent challenge to my abilities, and I thank you for that. I consider myself a paragon of fair play, and so I wish to return the favor. You've destroyed me with a fair challenge, and I wish to return that favor...

Oh great, Ozymandias (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=4511) groaned. He's a talker.


...It is for this reason that I chose this to be the resting place of my phylactery. Enough of my rambling, however, you have a phylactery to destroy!

Finally!



Ozymandias looks up the cliff, then pauses to consider his options.

Divinations won't work, eh? That seems to screw me over a tad. Never the matter, we'll find a way to prevail, eh? He laughs.

Ozymandias grabs the stone of Continual Flame and tosses it in his hands, while trying to come up with a plan.

I estimate that the cliff is... oh... less than five hundred feet, which means I could take up up there if I shifted. Do you suppose that is our best course of action?

It would work, and yet... it seems to simple. Cilat knows we can make it past such an obstacle with ease. I say there's something on top of it, something else for us to face.

Like a monster or something.

He paused to let his words sink in.

Incidentally, gentlemen, what are we to do about healing? I don't think any of us can mend flesh or broken bones... or have one of you been dabbling in the divine magics when I wasn't looking?

Talic
2008-01-24, 02:37 AM
Drat, Solo, the Tangled Web is a blocked site at my current location. Darn websense categories.

lord_khaine
2008-01-24, 07:49 AM
Incidentally, gentlemen, what are we to do about healing? I don't think any of us can mend flesh or broken bones... or have one of you been dabbling in the divine magics when I wasn't looking?
Today 01:15 AM


Dont look at me, Torc (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=7780) said, my primary skill lies in breaking bones, not mending them.

but about the cliff, then i guess i could sneak up and see if i can spot any nasty surprises waiting for us

Solo
2008-01-24, 09:30 AM
By all means, scout for us if you feel you can do so.

I suppose I could call up Phantom Steeds for us, but that would take the better part of half an hour, and you'd probably be up there by then.

I offer to cloak you, but I don't know if you'll be able to make it up there before the spell expires. By my estimates, Greater Invisibility should last about three minutes.

Worira
2008-01-24, 10:48 AM
Gragthor (http://www.dndonlinegames.com/view.php?id=64419) frowned, looking at his distinctly non-glowing spiked chain. Gruh! Where Luthor? Gragthor will break short man for taking Luthor!




OoC: Please meet Gragthor, half-orc barbarian with an intelligence of 6! Normally, he has an intelligent spiked chain named Luthor that does most of his thinking for him, but he's regrettably absent at the moment. So for now, just point Gragthor at what you want broken.

Solo
2008-01-24, 01:36 PM
OoC: You've still got magic items factored into your stat scores:smallwink:

Yeah, that's one way of putting it.

So, do we just teleport up, or do you still want to scout up, Torc?

lord_khaine
2008-01-24, 05:43 PM
dam, i also feel naked without my Celestrial gauntlet... oh wait, that bastard took my robe as well, that explains it.

well, no reason to jump into a trap again, if there is anything nasty lurking up there i might as well try to spot it before it spots us.

Torc will try and sneak up the clift, while trying to see if there is anything hostile lurking around

Rachel Lorelei
2008-01-24, 07:06 PM
Generic McCleric (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=2608).

"Don't be ridiculous, Ozymandias. I serve Corellon, and heal with his blessing, as I always have... and it'd be foolish to go into this unprepared. I will conjure us a Heroes' Feast, and you can summon your phantom steeds in the meantime, and cast other long-term spells."

Gen, the wood elf, retrieves the mundane versions of his equipment, scowling at the shoddy version of his finely crafted holy symbols.

Solo
2008-01-24, 10:35 PM
Ozymandias jumps noticeably as Gen speaks.

Gen! Where'd you come from? I though there was only three of us?

OOC: :smallwink:

Ozymandias calms down and begins to manipulate the ambient arcane energies of the land.

I think the most efficient use of my power would be to teleport us all up there in one go after Torc scouts the area.

Rachel Lorelei
2008-01-24, 11:09 PM
(Solo, looking at your sheet, that's kinda unoptimized for a high-level mage. Am I missing something?
Gragthor, a Brilliant Energy weapon will probably hurt more than it helps.)

"Possible. Likely, even. Still, wouldn't you rather have the Feast and put up defenses, first?"

Gen takes the non-magical equipment meant for him, and casts Magic Vestment on the substitute chain shirt (but not on the stupid, useless, non-floating shield) and Greater Magic Weapon on the bow. Gen also casts Moment of Prescience.
"One Magic Weapon and three Magic Vestments left. Who wants one?"

Solo
2008-01-24, 11:31 PM
(Solo, looking at your sheet, that's kinda unoptimized for a high-level mage. Am I missing something?


Yes, the fact that my sheer awesometude will be enough to win the day. :smallwink:

Feel free to PM me telling me what's unoptimized, but the short answer will be that I was feeling lazy. That and the sorcerer will probably do just fine as is.

Worira
2008-01-25, 12:13 AM
(Lorelei, got a better idea than Brilliant Energy? Feel free to make any suggestions)


"If Gragthor don't get to breaks things yet, food is good! Gragthor want feast! Gragthor also want spells on weapon for bashing. An' armour for not gettin' bashed."

(heh, fonts are fun.)

Solo
2008-01-25, 12:32 AM
If Torc is going to take more than an hour, I fear I shall grow impatient and make my own way up there.

Rachel Lorelei
2008-01-25, 12:44 AM
Worira: Brilliant Energy doesn't do anything about natural armor; actual-armor-wearing opponents are relatively rare. And it makes you unable to hit, say, undead and golems at all. I'd suggest one of either Speed or Holy, and then Evil Outsider Bane. Heck, you look like you could afford all of those--you should also have a Ring of Freedom of Movement (for when we get our stuff back), it's almost mandatory. If you need gold for that, Free up some gold from your armor or shield--you could even take them down to +1 and buy me a Pearl of Power III or two instead, since I cast Magic Vestment.
If you don't need to free up the gold, Heavy Fortification is still better than straight plusses for the armor, due to Magic Vestment.

Other important items are Wings of Flying (add the Cloak of Resistance property to them, paying 1.5x the multiplier for multiple effects), a Helm of Teleportation, Boots of Speed--even a couple of pairs--if your weapon isn't Of Speed, and a Rod of Cancellation.

Gen casts a Greater Magic Weapon (chain becomes +5) and Magic Vestment (armor becomes +5) on Grogthar's stuff.
"You could at least Mind Blank the big lunk."

Solo
2008-01-25, 01:27 AM
Indeed. I think we should get our long-term spells out first and foremost.

Oz casts Mind Blank on Grogthar, himself, and Gen. It will last for the rest of the day.

(If Torc hasn't left yet, he can still get one, but I think he's moved on by now. Btw, shouldn't Torc be making climb checks to scale the cliff?)

I'm sorry I can't do more for you guys, but Gen was always the main buffer.

He then moves to the hut they found themselves in and casts Shrink Item on it, turning it into a bolt of cloth.

The letter from Cilat receives a light dose of Explosive Runes.

Packed up and ready to go, guys.

Talic
2008-01-25, 03:18 AM
Torc will try and sneak up the clift, while trying to see if there is anything hostile lurking around.


Speed of travel up the cliff? Standard or accelerated climbing?

Time Count, by my estimate:

5 spells cast by Generic McCleric - 5 rounds required
5 spells cast by Ozymandias - 5 rounds required

Time estimate on length of "assess the situation" dialogue - 2 rounds

Total time elapsed: 7 rounds. (Oz's spells + Gen's spells cast at same time, + 2 rounds of dialogue)

lord_khaine
2008-01-25, 08:23 AM
well the climbing speed depends of the difficulty of the climbing check, if the dc is 12 or lower then ill do the accelerated climbing, giving me a movement speed of 40
else ill take normal climbing speed, in this case 22.
while doing this ill also use both hide and move silent, with the -5 penalty for moving more than half your speed.

Solo
2008-01-26, 12:18 PM
(This is taking too long :smallfrown: It's been a day since he said he'd climb the cliff and we have nothing.

If khane is here, could you please roll that climb check? If Talic is here, could you please roll the climb check for him?

Or something, ya' know, to advance the test?)

lord_khaine
2008-01-26, 05:54 PM
well i have allways assumed talic would make the serie of checks nececary for this action, since its a check made per move, and im not sure if its possibel to take 10 on it.
besides this we also have to considder the result of my "stealth" attempt, as well as my efford to defeat any potential ambushers "stealth" .

for ease of reference my climb is +12, my spot is +18 and my "stealth" is +23.

Solo
2008-01-27, 01:43 AM
(You could do it now, really.... heck, I could roll for you. :smallamused: )

lord_khaine
2008-01-27, 06:18 AM
well we are still lacking the climb dc, if i can move at a speed of 40 it will be 7 checks, if not it will be 14.

Solo
2008-01-27, 02:31 PM
(Meh, roll 14 checks in two groups of seven. Tell Talic to take either the first group or the second if that's what it takes.

I can't help but think that whatever your movement speed is, you'd make it to the top eventually, so...)

Talic
2008-01-28, 02:23 PM
After a quick test of the lower levels, you notice that the DC is a bit too hard for you to speed up without any chance of failure, and it looks a bit more unstable higher up (DC 15 for 150 feet, DC 20 due to unstable handholds from 150-200, and DC 15 again for the final 100 feet).

Taking 10 for going at a steady pace up proves successful, and when you finally stealthily peek your head over the top, you notice the portal atop the ledge appears to be the only thing of note at the surface of the cliff. It is built right at the very edge of the precipice, so as to make it easier to view from the bottom. However, the positioning of the portal makes it much easier to walk through it from plateau side. This could cause problems if the portal doesn't work properly, or has intermittent function, as you would then be walking over the cliff edge.

Time count for this segment:

taking 10, 14 times: 14 rounds.

Total elapsed time, 21 rounds

Solo
2008-01-28, 02:53 PM
Let's assume he gives the "all clear" signal and Ozymandias teleports everyone up, shall we?

lord_khaine
2008-01-28, 06:29 PM
Torc waves down to the rest of the party and yells

All CLEAR GUYS

after Ozymandias has brought the rest of the party up.

well this was to easy, but i suspect there is a nasty surprise in lie for us at the other end of the portal, or else the surprise is that the portals doesnt work.

If Sir Generic would finish the last blessings, then i can test if the portal works, or if its just a shortcut down the cliff.

Worira
2008-01-28, 06:48 PM
Gragthor looks down at the bottom of the cliff.

"Gruh, I kin try puttin' the end of dis chain through, den we kin see whut 'appens to it."

Gragthor flicks the last 5 feet or so of his spiked chain through the portal, then pulls it back out.

Solo
2008-01-28, 07:05 PM
You know, we could also tie a rope around you, Torc, as you go in.

One pull means for us to pull you out quickly, two that it's clear, and three if you're dead.

Talic
2008-01-29, 12:32 AM
For the PC Participants:

If any whose magic items (that were removed) are not currently on your character sheets (as of this very moment), please PM me with the list...

It seems that the lists for each item drop will need to be made shortly, as I fully hope that each and every knickknack will be returned to your characters in lovingly pristine condition. Whether that actually happens is entirely up to you, though. :)


For the OpFor:

Get ready for the first combat encounter. The creatures you have here likely won't have the Intelligence to take advantage of the clue that the PC's just gave (partial view of a weapon), but as soon as someone steps through and gets a description, you are weapons free. I anticipate that Barbarian cutting through your critters like a knife through butter, but the monk may surprise me and show some effectiveness. I expect nearly nothing from the Sorceror here, and only marginal effectiveness for the Cleric. Granted, that means that the sorceror will likely murderize future encounters due to more spells remaining, but we'll see, right?


For the current portal tests:

Flicking the chain through causes arcs of apparently non-harmful energy to crackle around it, exactly at the plane of the portal. It apparently just disappears, however, pulling back returns the entire chain, whole and undamaged, to your view.

<It went through and came back ok.>

lord_khaine
2008-01-29, 08:59 AM
how many tugs on the rope was it now for "help im stuck in a Gelatinous Cube"?

anyway, we dont have a rope since it got lost with the rest of our equipment, but the portal seems to work, so im going to jump though, if im not back in 10 sec assume its either a one way trip, or that im in trouble.

Torc jumps into the portal

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-29, 09:19 AM
Initiative, please.

Solo
2008-01-29, 09:42 AM
Are you sure you don't want a bit of magical protection before you go?

lord_khaine
2008-01-29, 10:30 AM
i would guess magical buffing is a bit to late now Zero has asked for initiative?
but the question of how you want me to roll for initiative then remains.

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-29, 10:48 AM
Solo asked after Lord Khaine hopped into the portal, so it's not relevant unless Solo follows.

Just roll on the boards so it's all visible and fair.

Solo
2008-01-29, 11:00 AM
Initiative: [roll0]

Roll like that.

So, who's next?, Ozymandias asks, after casting Greater Invisibility on himself.

Worira
2008-01-29, 12:09 PM
Initiative:[roll0]

Gragthor stands by the portal, preparing to whump any unpleasant beasties that come through.

(I'll ready an action to attack the first opponent that comes within range of my spiked chain. Torc and the other members of the party are not opponents.)

Worira
2008-01-29, 12:15 PM
Err, assuming I have the opportunity to do so before I see something. If something comes through before I can ready an action, I'll just (full, if possible) attack it.

Rachel Lorelei
2008-01-29, 02:00 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

lord_khaine
2008-01-29, 04:08 PM
initiative(1d20+7) [roll0]

Talic
2008-01-30, 12:52 AM
For the players that haven't gone through the portal:

The monk, Torc, disappears in a flash of light as he darts into the portal.


For the players that HAVE gone through the portal:

The world around you shifts for a moment, and when everything clears, you're standing in a large room, measuring approximately 80'x80'x10'. In the center of the room, you see a large chest, fashioned out of solid steel, adorned with a pair of massive locks. The keyholes for these locks look more like stars, however, with one having 8 lines radiating out from the center, and the other having 6 lines radiating out.

Flanking the chest, on either side, you notice a massive clay golem... Only moments after, however, you realize that some of your more supernatural powers appear to be gone... Just gone. You've encountered this phenomena rarely in the past, and realize that you seem to be standing in an area of dead magic. However, you do notice the portal behind you is still softly aglow, as is the other portal, at the far end of the room, behind the chest and the golems.

Challenge 2: This consists of the following, according to your observations. A pair of clay golems. The portal to the next area. One of the item chests spoken about in the letter for Cilat. Room dimensions, 80x80x10. Features for this challenge: Dead magic zone.
As an advance notice, of the 4 combat encounters in this challenge, this will be the only one in a dead magic zone/antimagic field.


Instructions for rolling. Encase the word "roll" in brackets, much as you would for bolding text or placing a spoiler. "[]", with "roll in the middle. Then type the roll out (1D20+X, where X is your initiative modifier), then type [/roll].

Initiative for Participants in this combat:
Rachel - 17
Lord Khane - 14
Solo - 12
Worira - 11

OpFor - 5

Solo
2008-01-30, 01:31 AM
Ozymandias pokes his head through.

You alright in there?

Talic
2008-01-30, 02:49 AM
Initiative for OpFor:

[roll0]

Rachel Lorelei
2008-01-30, 03:13 AM
Gen doesn't go through the portal yet. Instead, he casts Air Walk on himself.

lord_khaine
2008-01-30, 06:06 AM
taking a quick step back though the portal, Torc yells 2 words.

Antimagic field, Golems

before stepping back into the portal, trying to position himself at a place where only on of the golems will have room to charge him.

AOO provoked by the golems from the spiked chain will be used to trip them, with a +22 to hit bonus and a +11 trip bonus.

Solo
2008-01-30, 08:19 AM
Ok, since my initiative was at 12, I'm going to position myself and cast a Wall of Force to separate us from the golems.

The Wall will be positioned 10 feet in front of me (or in front of Torc, whichever one is furthest away), and stretch from wall to wall so as to cut them off from our group, and be 70 feet long, leaving a space of 5 feet between the Wall and the wall.

This will buy us time to act or position ourselves.

Golems in an antimagic field, you say?

Solo
2008-01-30, 08:24 AM
K. Arcana on golems: [roll0]

Rachel Lorelei
2008-01-30, 10:49 AM
Golems in an antimagic field, you say?

I want these motherf---ing golems off my motherf---ing antimagic field?

Worira
2008-01-30, 12:59 PM
Gragthor enters the portal and moves across to the wall, putting him in position to charge a golem next turn.

Solo
2008-01-30, 01:04 PM
For the record, Ozymandias is going to warn you about the Invisible Wall when you get to the other side.

Wait! Don't attack them just yet! I have a plan!

Worira
2008-01-30, 01:32 PM
Gragthor pauses.

"Whut?"

Solo
2008-01-30, 01:54 PM
Just watch and wait. See if you can attract them over, but don't engage them just yet. I can trap them and then we'll be free to get our stuff and move on to the next fight.

After all, this way we get to see Luthor faster, as it may be in one of those chests.

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-30, 02:05 PM
Map (http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/ZeroNumerous/40x40BattleGridPNG.png). Note: The map is 200x200, which I thought it was prior to the introduced 80x80x10.

Solo
2008-01-30, 02:26 PM
Apparently, I'll have to diplomacy Gragthor to not attack.

Luckily, I have charisma on my side.

Trust me, it will be quicker this way, and you'll have more strength to use to fight other stuff.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

(If it's a Bluff check I should make, it'll be at a +17 modifier)



Edit: Epic fail.

Worira
2008-01-30, 02:42 PM
"Gragthor wanna BREAK! GRAAAGH!!!"

Gragthor charges one of the golems, swinging his chain.

(so, when my next turn comes up, I'm charging a golem and power attacking for 16 points of BAB. Also, I rage.)

Solo
2008-01-30, 03:10 PM
Meanwhile, Ozymandias sits back and sees what the Laws of the Multiverse will do to the Wall of Force he just cast.

Talic
2008-01-31, 12:49 AM
We can go with the original 200x200, I suppose. Additional maneuvering room will only benefit the things that don't have a base move of suck. Wall of Force, stretching the length of the room, allowing five feet on either end. (Oz's action)

Two golems in middle, flanking the chest (immediately adjacent). Portals at far ends of the room, either side.

Generic's not entered, as of yet. The monk and Oz are positioned on the defensive side of the wall.

Our barbarian is positioned at the edge of the wall of force, intending to charge on his next action.

Golems have not chosen to move this turn.

If all above statements are correct, place everyone on the map, quantify where the wall of force runs precisely, and let's begin.

Rachel Lorelei
2008-01-31, 12:57 AM
I have no idea what's what and where on that map.

Solo
2008-01-31, 01:25 AM
Very well. Oz will be at (34, 21) and the Wall of Force will run from (30, 39) to (30, 2)


(I am using the XY co-ordinate pairs for this)

Gragthor, if they go berserk, would you please consider coming back here?

Rachel Lorelei
2008-01-31, 01:35 AM
Gen will enter and be at... (33, 33), let's say?

Talic
2008-01-31, 02:55 AM
Excellent. Round one, Golem berserk roll. Golem goes berserk on a roll of 1.

[roll0] for Golem 1
[roll1] for Golem 2

Talic
2008-01-31, 02:56 AM
This should put the barbarian at (30,1) or (30, 40).

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-31, 04:00 AM
This should put the barbarian at (30,1) or (30, 40).


Gen will enter and be at... (33, 33), let's say?

None of these are possible unless the portal randomly drops you in some place on the map.

I didn't think I needed to include a key, since the map is very self explanatory.

Key:
Red Circle inside Yellow Circle - Entrance Portal.
Yellow Circle Inside Red Circle - Exit Portal.
Dark Green - Barbarian, same color he speaks in.
Dark Orange - Monk, same color he speaks in.
Dark Red - Sorcerer, same color he speaks in.
Blue - Cleric.
Gray - Golems, as they don't speak.
Star - The chest, obviously.

lord_khaine
2008-01-31, 04:34 AM
at his initiative count Torc will move to 18.1

Rachel Lorelei
2008-01-31, 05:58 AM
In that case, Gen will come through the portal and stay right in front of it.

Talic
2008-01-31, 06:55 AM
None of these are possible unless the portal randomly drops you in some place on the map.

I didn't think I needed to include a key, since the map is very self explanatory.

Key:
Red Circle inside Yellow Circle - Entrance Portal.
Yellow Circle Inside Red Circle - Exit Portal.
Dark Green - Barbarian, same color he speaks in.
Dark Orange - Monk, same color he speaks in.
Dark Red - Sorcerer, same color he speaks in.
Blue - Cleric.
Gray - Golems, as they don't speak.
Star - The chest, obviously.

Thank you for the catch. Play continues from this point. Assume Gragthor performs double move, to get into position to charge next round, while remaining over 30 feet away, as that is the closest we can get to his last round requested action.

Golems show no movement thus far.

Gen enters portal and holds position.

Torc moves to 18,1.

Actions?

lord_khaine
2008-01-31, 07:23 AM
due to the recent discussion on the other thread, then im a bit confused, are there a wall of force or not?
in the case of not ill move to 27.17 instead of 18.1

when his next turn comes, Torc will move to 11.17, using tuble to ignore the aoo, and while fighting defensively he will try to grapple the closest golem.

Talic
2008-01-31, 07:34 AM
due to the recent discussion on the other thread, then im a bit confused, are there a wall of force or not?
in the case of not ill move to 27.17 instead of 18.1

when his next turn comes, Torc will move to 11.17, using tuble to ignore the aoo, and while fighting defensively he will try to grapple the closest golem.

There is. No changes will be made. Wall of Force remains unchanged.

lord_khaine
2008-01-31, 10:10 AM
then on my next action ill move to 10.3

and following that, unless the golems start to move or something like it, then i will tumble to 10.17 and try to grapple the closest golem while fighting defensively.

as far as i can see this means i will engange the golems in the same round as the barbarian, right?

Worira
2008-01-31, 10:44 AM
I'm confused and bewildered.

Solo
2008-01-31, 10:56 AM
(You can attack by leaping out from behind the Wall and retreat back if they go berserk.)

lord_khaine
2008-01-31, 12:27 PM
I'm confused and bewildered

just move to the closest golem and start hitting it until it stops moving.

and ill bet a shiny Gp the golems wont last long enough to go berserk :smalltongue:

Talic
2008-02-01, 12:59 AM
As, it stands, there is a Wall of force, running from (30, 2) to (30, 39).

The two golems and the chest are listed on the map, and have not moved from that position.

Generic McCleric is holding position in the large room, at the entry.

Oz is at 34, 21.

Gragthor is in a position to charge the golems on his next action. (please clarify which end of the Wall of Force you moved to).

Torc has moved to 10, 3. Current initiative order places Solo as the active player, followed by OpFor.

Zero, if you wish to keep the OpFor's actions as they are, just state that you're repeating last round's actions, and We'll move back to top of the order.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-01, 01:07 AM
Continuing last round's choice ad infinitium.

Solo
2008-02-01, 01:47 AM
Ozymandias stays put.

Talic
2008-02-01, 01:55 AM
Then it is Gragthor's action. Post any rolls required with your action.

Worira
2008-02-01, 10:44 AM
To clarify, I'm on the side Torc is not. I'm going to leave it at that, since the map hurts my brain.

Gragthor charges the golem, swinging his spiked chain wildly.

Attack, power attacking for 16 points of BAB:[roll0]

56.5 points of damage on a hit assuming average damage, 46.5 with DR.

lord_khaine
2008-02-01, 12:11 PM
you should have waitet a bit, now you are going to take 1Ĺ full attack from the golems i suspect.

edit.
btw, how did gragtor get into position to charge so fast? after what i can see he should be able to charge just after i had moved into combat.

Talic
2008-02-02, 12:05 PM
you should have waitet a bit, now you are going to take 1Ĺ full attack from the golems i suspect.

edit.
btw, how did gragtor get into position to charge so fast? after what i can see he should be able to charge just after i had moved into combat.

x4 run for one round should get him into position.

However, your action will be interrupted.

Announcing OpFor Action:

Readied Action, Attack any living creature who enters threat range.

Zero, please do the honors of rolling your attack. Assume that gragthor charged in such a manner as to only enter the threat range of one golem.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-02, 02:14 PM
Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]
Crit Confirmation: [roll2]
Crit Damage Roll: [roll3]

Talic
2008-02-03, 01:21 AM
Golem misses the AoO, Gragthor hits golem. Average damage used, 47 damage after DR to golem.

Zeronumerous is up for actions with both golems.

lord_khaine
2008-02-03, 05:03 AM
but if he is running then he have to move in a straight line, so he would have had to stop at the edge of the wall of force at 30.40, and from there he cant charge.

Talic
2008-02-03, 07:12 AM
but if he is running then he have to move in a straight line, so he would have had to stop at the edge of the wall of force at 30.40, and from there he cant charge.

Double move? Will 80 ft do it?

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-03, 12:26 PM
Golem#AttackedOne full attacks. [roll0], [roll1].
Golem#OtherOne takes a five foot step toward the barbarian if it will put him within range. If not, then he moves the full fifteen feet needed.

If the second Golem can get him in range with a five-foot step, then he'll full attack. If not, then just one attack.

Full Attack: [roll2], [roll3].
Single Attack: [roll4].

Solo
2008-02-03, 01:18 PM
Go for the knees, Grag! The knees!

lord_khaine
2008-02-03, 02:04 PM
Double move? Will 80 ft do it?

no that will not take him within range of a charge when he also have to get around the wall of force.

lord_khaine
2008-02-03, 02:17 PM
moving within range of the golem, using tumble to avoid AOE.
then while fighting defensive, +3AC -4 to hit, Torc tries to grapple Golem#OtherOne.
touch attack (d20+19) [roll0]
if that hits then

opposed grapple check (1d20+26) [roll1] versus the golems roll of (1d20+19) [roll2]

if i win that then the golem is grappled and takes (4d8-3) [roll3]
points of damage.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-03, 02:25 PM
For future reference, please do not roll for my golems, that's quite annoying.

Finally: Damage is averaged, so 4d8-3 works out to 15, thus the golem takes 5 points of damage.

Worira
2008-02-03, 03:19 PM
If Torc is grappling on the same round I'm charging, which seems to be the case, I don't think that Golem#OtherOne will get will get any attacks against me. Also, you shouldn't really roll the single attack separately from the attacks from a full attack.

EDIT: also, tumbling would avoid the AoO, but not the readied action.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-03, 03:50 PM
Also, you shouldn't really roll the single attack separately from the attacks from a full attack.

Ya, 'specially since the full attack's first attack is better. Here's a gift horse, lets look into it's mouth, shall we? :smalltongue:

Worira
2008-02-03, 03:56 PM
It doesn't really matter in this case, both would hit me anyway.

lord_khaine
2008-02-03, 04:37 PM
For future reference, please do not roll for my golems, that's quite annoying.

Finally: Damage is averaged, so 4d8-3 works out to 15, thus the golem takes 5 points of damage.


well it was to speed things up i rolled for the golems as well, when i start grapling there will be a lot of opposed rolls, and i just though it would be easyer if i made the rolls for the golems then as well.

and 4d8-3 is counting the golems damage reduction, so it takes 15 points of damage.

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-03, 05:01 PM
The cleric watches, knowing his bow can't hurt these things without his spells. If someone needs healing, they can step back through the portal with him.

Talic
2008-02-04, 12:51 AM
Golems act prior to monk. Thus the Golem (Otherone) will get his action as posted. Torc's action is at the top of next round. Either way, though, Golem (otherone) would get 1 attack. If Torc had gone first, and had moved in, tumbling, he still would have been subject to the attack from the Golem's readied action.

Golem (otherone) requires a move greater than 5 feet to reach gragthor, thus, it may only make one attack.

Error in golem action. According to SRD (Readied Actions), when a combatant uses a readied action, the point where the action is triggered is its new initiative count, just before the combatant who triggered it. Thus, Golem (Attacked One) acts just before Gragthor in the count, and does not get his action at initiative count (5). Full attack is waived. Result: Golem (Otherone) gets action, hits once, for average damage, less Gragthor's DR.

Torc successfully grapples Golem (SRD: Opposed grapple checks: Ties go to the participant with the higher modifier). Damage is dealt.

Bear in mind, when making attacks with a penalty to damage due to DR, the result can be 0 (instead of 1, as specified in SRD). It doesn't apply in this case, but just something random to bear in mind.

Talic
2008-02-04, 02:45 AM
Golem Sanity Check, round 2. If the result is greater than 100, the golems are berserk on their next action.

Golem (Ungrappled): [roll0]
Golem (Grappled): [roll1]

Edit: Neither go berserk.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-04, 03:28 AM
Wait, when Gragthor charged, doesn't that end the initiative for that round? Doesn't that mean a new round(and thus my golem gets to act this round at Initiative 5)?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-04, 04:38 AM
Wait, when Gragthor charged, doesn't that end the initiative for that round? Doesn't that mean a new round(and thus my golem gets to act this round at Initiative 5)?

Initiative 11: Gragthor charges

Golem one's ready action triggers: attack (Initiative changed to 11, just before gragthor)

Charge completes.

Initiative 5: Golem two: Normal action, since readied action did not trigger


******
NEXT round
******

Initiative 11: Golem one: normal action
Initiative 11: Gragthor: normal action
Initiative 5: Golem two: normal action


Remember that you can take a 5-foot step as part of a readied action assuming you have not moved in the round.

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-04, 05:36 AM
Golem Sanity Check, round 2. If the result is greater than 100, the golems are berserk on their next action.
Er, 2% chance should mean 99 or 100 out of 100, not 101 or 102 out of 102.

Talic
2008-02-04, 05:48 AM
Wait, when Gragthor charged, doesn't that end the initiative for that round? Doesn't that mean a new round(and thus my golem gets to act this round at Initiative 5)?

No.

Initial initiative count:

Rachel - 17
Lord Khane - 14
Solo - 12
Worira - 11
Golems - 5

Golem (ungrappled) performed a readied action triggered by Worira's charge on Initiative count 11. Following this action, that golem's initative changes to that count, immediately before Worira. At that point, the initiative looks like this:

Rachel - 17
Lord Khane - 14
Solo - 12
Golem (ungrappled) - 11 (1)
Worira - 11 (2)
Golem(grappled) - 5

Worira then completed his action, and we continue down the count to the other golem, at Initiative 5. That golem moved and declared an attack. Following that, New round starts, with Rachel delaying, and Lord Khane grappled the golem at initiative count 5.

Current action is to Solo, at initiative count 12, followed by the ungrappled golem, and then Worira.

Reference material for ruling:


Readying an Action
A character can ready an attack action or a move action. To do so, the character specifies the action he or she will take and the conditions under which the character will take it. Then, any time before the characterís next action, the character may take the readied attack action in response to those conditions. The readied action occurs just before the event that triggers it. If the trigger is part of another characterís actions, the readied action interrupts the other character. The other character continues his or her actions once the readied action is completed.

The characterís initiative count changes. For the rest of the encounter, it is the count on which the character took the readied action, and the character acts immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered the readied action.

A character can take a 5-foot step as part of his or her readied action, but only if the character didnít otherwise move any distance during the round.

If the character comes to his or her next action and has not yet performed the readied action, the character doesnít get to take the readied action (though the character can ready the same action again). If the character takes his or her readied action in the next round, before his or her regular turn comes up, the characterís initiative count rises to that new point in the order of battle, and he or she does not get your regular action that round.

Talic
2008-02-04, 05:50 AM
Er, 2% chance should mean 99 or 100 out of 100, not 101 or 102 out of 102.

1D100 +2 is still only 100 different numbers. I just shifted it to show a steady result that would reflect the odds.

It's 3-102, with any result above 100 being a berserk.
Next round, I'll can do 4-103, with any result above 100 being a berserk. (1d100+3).

Math is the same, I just phrased it differently.

Solo
2008-02-04, 12:53 PM
I ready an action to seperate a Golem from someone with a Wall of Force if asked to do so, and end my turn.

Good thinking Torc! The knees are a vulnerable spot!

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-04, 03:40 PM
Oh, I thought Worira was the last in the initiative count. Nevermind then. The ungrappled golem just five foot steps back toward his companion and full attacks the monk.

Golem(Ungrappled): [roll0]; [roll1].

lord_khaine
2008-02-04, 04:42 PM
isnt that a bit to intelligent for a golem?
the ungrappled one was last hit by grag, would it not be attacking him back?

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-04, 05:21 PM
Lord Khaine is closest to the chest. Priority goes to things closest to the chest above all else, including their own safety.

Talic
2008-02-05, 01:13 AM
Sounds reasonable. Golems have a really dumb action plan in the absence of orders. The orders I gave him for the golems were to protect the chest, and attack anyone who approaches it. Establishing a rule "Always attack closest to the chest, and stay within 1 move of chest at all times" accurately plays to a low intelligence. Especially since that pattern should not change, even if the players do something to mitigate the effectiveness of the strategy.

lord_khaine
2008-02-05, 05:31 AM
hmm yeah that actualy makes sense.

Grag! smash this one before it breaks free

Talic
2008-02-06, 12:32 AM
Golem hits 1 attack, assume average damage.

Next up is Gragthor, followed by the grappled golem, and then top of the order with Rachel and the Monk.

Worira
2008-02-06, 08:18 PM
Gragthor smashes some more.

Power attacking for 15 points of BAB, each hit dealing 54 damage or 44 through DR:
[roll0]
If this attack drops the golem, I will 5-foot step within range of the grappled golem and complete my attack sequence against it, if a 5-foot step will reach. If a 5-foot step will not put me within spiked-chain range, I will instead move adjacent to the grappled golem. If this attack does not drop the golem, I will continue my attack sequence until I either drop this golem or run out of attacks, at which point I will take a 5-foot step towards the grappled golem, and complete my attack sequence against it if I am within range and have attacks remaining.
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Solo
2008-02-07, 01:09 AM
Ozymandias cheers.

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-07, 01:29 AM
You can just assume that Gen keeps delaying until someone gets seriously hurt.

lord_khaine
2008-02-07, 08:00 AM
so that should break the ungrappled golem, and give the other golem a singel whack on the head.

Nice blow, but wrong golem...

Torc says while trying to twist the knee off the last golem.

Talic
2008-02-07, 03:24 PM
so that should break the ungrappled golem, and give the other golem a singel whack on the head.

Nice blow, but wrong golem...

Torc says while trying to twist the knee off the last golem.

It should do both, correct.

OOC, his attack sequence was the best possible move I could see. Both were attacking you. One got to hit you without your dex modifier, and without a -4 to hit from being grappled.

That one is now squished.

IC, As the first of two golems shatters into hundreds of pieces, something glinting flies out of the golem and lands a short distance away. It appears to be a key of some sort, consisting of 8 prongs radiating out from a central shaft.

lord_khaine
2008-02-07, 03:51 PM
yes but the one he killed had allready acted this round, if he had killed the grappled one then it would have died before it got its action on initiative 5, and then i could have killed the last one before it got its next turn.

Solo
2008-02-08, 07:41 PM
Behold! I believe it is one of those keys that will unlock the chest!

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-08, 07:44 PM
The grappled golem just makes a couple of grapple checks:

[roll0] / [roll1]

If the first one succeeds, then the second one will attempt to damage the monk.

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-08, 08:19 PM
The grappled golem just makes a couple of grapple checks:

[roll0] / [roll1]

If the first one succeeds, then the second one will attempt to damage the monk.

You're in a grapple, so shouldn't both of those be attempts to do damage?

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-08, 08:52 PM
You have to control the grapple to do damage, don't you?

Worira
2008-02-08, 09:10 PM
There's no such thing as "controlling the grapple", other than pinning.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-08, 09:54 PM
Huh, well then both of those attempts would be to damage the Monk.

Talic
2008-02-08, 11:04 PM
Correct. You can either make an attack at a -4 penalty, or make a grapple check to deal damage as an unarmed strike.

Source: SRD, relevant portions bolded:

While youíre grappling, your ability to attack others and defend yourself is limited.

No Threatened Squares
You donít threaten any squares while grappling.

No Dexterity Bonus
You lose your Dexterity bonus to AC (if you have one) against opponents you arenít grappling. (You can still use it against opponents you are grappling.)

No Movement
You canít move normally while grappling. You may, however, make an opposed grapple check to move while grappling.

If Youíre Grappling
When you are grappling (regardless of who started the grapple), you can perform any of the following actions. Some of these actions take the place of an attack (rather than being a standard action or a move action). If your base attack bonus allows you multiple attacks, you can attempt one of these actions in place of each of your attacks, but at successively lower base attack bonuses.

Activate a Magic Item
You can activate a magic item, as long as the item doesnít require spell completion activation. You donít need to make a grapple check to activate the item.

Attack Your Opponent
You can make an attack with an unarmed strike, natural weapon, or light weapon against another character you are grappling. You take a -4 penalty on such attacks.

You canít attack with two weapons while grappling, even if both are light weapons.

Cast a Spell
You can attempt to cast a spell while grappling or even while pinned (see below), provided its casting time is no more than 1 standard action, it has no somatic component, and you have in hand any material components or focuses you might need. Any spell that requires precise and careful action is impossible to cast while grappling or being pinned. If the spell is one that you can cast while grappling, you must make a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level) or lose the spell. You donít have to make a successful grapple check to cast the spell.

Damage Your Opponent
While grappling, you can deal damage to your opponent equivalent to an unarmed strike. Make an opposed grapple check in place of an attack. If you win, you deal nonlethal damage as normal for your unarmed strike (1d3 points for Medium attackers or 1d2 points for Small attackers, plus Strength modifiers). If you want to deal lethal damage, you take a -4 penalty on your grapple check.

Exception: Monks deal more damage on an unarmed strike than other characters, and the damage is lethal. However, they can choose to deal their damage as nonlethal damage when grappling without taking the usual -4 penalty for changing lethal damage to nonlethal damage.

Draw a Light Weapon
You can draw a light weapon as a move action with a successful grapple check.

Escape from Grapple
You can escape a grapple by winning an opposed grapple check in place of making an attack. You can make an Escape Artist check in place of your grapple check if you so desire, but this requires a standard action. If more than one opponent is grappling you, your grapple check result has to beat all their individual check results to escape. (Opponents donít have to try to hold you if they donít want to.) If you escape, you finish the action by moving into any space adjacent to your opponent(s).

Move
You can move half your speed (bringing all others engaged in the grapple with you) by winning an opposed grapple check. This requires a standard action, and you must beat all the other individual check results to move the grapple.

Note: You get a +4 bonus on your grapple check to move a pinned opponent, but only if no one else is involved in the grapple.

Retrieve a Spell Component
You can produce a spell component from your pouch while grappling by using a full-round action. Doing so does not require a successful grapple check.

Pin Your Opponent
You can hold your opponent immobile for 1 round by winning an opposed grapple check (made in place of an attack). Once you have an opponent pinned, you have a few options available to you (see below).

Break Anotherís Pin
If you are grappling an opponent who has another character pinned, you can make an opposed grapple check in place of an attack. If you win, you break the hold that the opponent has over the other character. The character is still grappling, but is no longer pinned.

Use Opponentís Weapon
If your opponent is holding a light weapon, you can use it to attack him. Make an opposed grapple check (in place of an attack). If you win, make an attack roll with the weapon with a -4 penalty (doing this doesnít require another action).

You donít gain possession of the weapon by performing this action.

lord_khaine
2008-02-09, 04:53 AM
2 rolls to defend versus the golem.

(1d20+26) [roll0]
(1d20+26) [roll1]

after that on his own turn Torc will try to kick the golems head off

Fist Of Justice!

(1d20+18) [roll2]
(1d20+18) [roll3]
(1d20+18) [roll4]
(1d20+13) [roll5]
(1d20+8) [roll6]

Talic
2008-02-09, 05:59 AM
2 rolls to defend versus the golem.

(1d20+26) [roll0]
(1d20+26) [roll1]

after that on his own turn Torc will try to kick the golems head off

Fist Of Justice!

(1d20+18) [roll2]
(1d20+18) [roll3]
(1d20+18) [roll4]
(1d20+13) [roll5]
(1d20+8) [roll6]

5 hits. Damage this round: 75. Total damage: 90.

The last hit cracks the golem's torso, revealing a small key embedded in the golem's chest. This one appears to have 6 prongs radiating out from the center shaft of the key.

lord_khaine
2008-02-09, 06:15 AM
well, i guess this is the other key, lets see whats in the box

torc uses the keys on the chest.

Talic
2008-02-09, 11:18 AM
As both keys click, the latch is lifted, and the spring-loaded hinge throws the chest open. Inside, lies the following:

Torc's Items:
Bracers of Armor +8
Periapt of Wis +4, Nat Armor +3
Cloak of Resistance +4
Belt of Str +6, Con +2
Potion of Enlarge x 20

Oz's Items:
Scrolls: Shades x4, Solid Fog x4, Break Enchantment x4, Greater Heroism x4, Prismatic Spray
Cloak of Charisma +6

Gragthor's Items:
Intelligent Ring of Blinking/Freedom of Movement
Wings of Flying/Resistance +5
Ring of Protection +5

Gen's Items:
Celestial Armor
Buckler. +1, Heavy Fortification
Shield, +1, Animated
Ring, Freedom of Movement
Periapt of Wis +6, Con +4
Gloves of Dexterity +6

There also seems to be a simple gear system built into the front of the chest (inside of the chest, against the side with the key latches). You're not quite sure what they're for.


Time count, Thus far:

21 Rounds, as of last count.
+ 2 rounds discussion
+3 rounds combat
+1 round reaching chest and opening

Total: 27 rounds

Solo
2008-02-09, 01:21 PM
Hey, look! Ozymandias exclaimed, holding up his cloak. I think he had mine dry cleaned!

lord_khaine
2008-02-09, 05:58 PM
still, how did you manage to get food stains, on a cloak enchantet to augument your personal grace and charm in the first place?

Torc says while picking up his gear

looking at the potions hmm these seems to have expired during our long hunt on the lich

Worira
2008-02-09, 10:36 PM
Gragthor, done with smashing, calms down and takes his things from the chest and puts them on.

"Mr. Blinky?"

Gragthor frowns.

"Mr. Blinky is sleepng."

Talic
2008-02-09, 10:39 PM
From this position, you can more clearly see the far portal. It seems to be covered in small arcane symbols, slightly darker than the smooth stone making up the frame.

Solo
2008-02-09, 11:18 PM
still, how did you manage to get food stains, on a cloak enchantet to augument your personal grace and charm in the first place?

Torc says while picking up his gear

looking at the potions hmm these seems to have expired during our long hunt on the lich

My personal life is not on trial here!

Ozymandias will walk towards the portal.

So, who wants to go first this time?

Talic
2008-02-10, 01:23 AM
Just for my records, I'd like to know what spells everyone has on them, and current durations. I know they're being suppressed, but as soon as you leave this area, they'll not be, so I want to have everything ready.

Solo
2008-02-10, 01:40 AM
Greater Invisibility and Mind Blank.

Talic
2008-02-10, 02:32 AM
Greater Invisibility and Mind Blank.

duration remaining?

Solo
2008-02-10, 02:44 AM
Expired Greater Invisibility, 24 hours for Mindblank

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-10, 04:14 AM
Gen puts on the appropriate gear, and straightens his clothes. "Good. Now where's the rest?"

(Gen has cast Moment of Prescience, two Magic Vestments, and two Greater Magic Weapons, duration 21 hours, and Air Walk, duration 210 minutes minus however long we spent in here.)

Gragthor should probably be the first through the portal, but Gen will follow after.

lord_khaine
2008-02-10, 05:08 AM
with a bit of magic cloaking it should be easy for me to scout ahead to see what the next portal contain

Talic
2008-02-10, 06:32 AM
Expired Greater Invisibility, 24 hours for Mindblank
Fair enough. I would have thought you'd still have another few rounds left on the Invis. Not counting the time it takes Gen to don her armor, you've only been in the golem room a total of about 5 rounds.


Gen puts on the appropriate gear, and straightens his clothes. "Good. Now where's the rest?"

(Gen has cast Moment of Prescience, two Magic Vestments, and two Greater Magic Weapons, duration 21 hours, and Air Walk, duration 210 minutes minus however long we spent in here.)

Gragthor should probably be the first through the portal, but Gen will follow after.

Magic Vestments are on the MW gear, correct? Not your Magic gear?

Solo
2008-02-10, 11:48 AM
Fair enough. I would have thought you'd still have another few rounds left on the Invis. Not counting the time it takes Gen to don her armor, you've only been in the golem room a total of about 5 rounds.\

Er.... I actually miscalculated. I have 20 rounds left on it.

Well, as Diviniations won't function in this realm, I could cast Invisibility on any of you, and only certain types of creatures would be able to sense you.

Ozymandias' bat familiar will go scout through the portal. (I kinda want to see what a familiar can do.) I believe it shares his Greater Invisibility and Mindblank?

lord_khaine
2008-02-10, 12:17 PM
im not sure thats smart, what if the other end is more than a mile away?

edit.
and besides that, any spell shared will stop working on the familiar if it moves more than 5 feet away from you.

Solo
2008-02-10, 12:19 PM
Well, what would you do if the other end was more than a mile away?

lord_khaine
2008-02-10, 12:20 PM
i would go back again, i dont depend on a familiar bond to give me sentience.

Solo
2008-02-10, 12:23 PM
True......

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-10, 04:06 PM
Magic Vestments are on the MW gear, correct? Not your Magic gear?

Sadly, yes.
It's OK, I've got 2 more.

Talic
2008-02-11, 12:16 AM
Bear in mind, by RAW, casting is supressed, not prevented in AMF's. That means that any duration spell you cast here will begin having effect the moment you leave the AMF zone. Time will count down from the time you cast it (the time the AMF starts supressing it), but at least you won't need to go all the way back through the first portal before casting.

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-11, 12:36 AM
Bear in mind, by RAW, casting is supressed, not prevented in AMF's. That means that any duration spell you cast here will begin having effect the moment you leave the AMF zone. Time will count down from the time you cast it (the time the AMF starts supressing it), but at least you won't need to go all the way back through the first portal before casting.

Well, hey, what the heck. Gen casts Magic Vestment on the Celestial Armor and Animated Shield, then.

Talic
2008-02-11, 02:20 AM
Assuming someone assists Gen in donning her armor, it will take 2 minutes (20 rounds). Casting of followup spells will take another 2 rounds. I'll rule that the one round of talk time is coterminous with her donning (yay multitasking), and so it will add 21 rounds to the total time.

Any actions during this time (bear in mind, one of you should be helping Gen, otherwise, it will require 41 rounds)???

lord_khaine
2008-02-11, 07:04 AM
while stuffing the armor with cleric we can try to deside on our next course of action, Torcs offer to scout ahead again still stands.

give me a hand here, grag, something seems to be stuck

Solo
2008-02-11, 08:17 AM
I'll help you with the armor.

Talic
2008-02-11, 04:59 PM
If we're assuming entire party waits for Gen to be armored up, then we'll add 21 to the time clock and call it done. As 1 character can simultaneously help 2 people don, I don't think it's unreasonable to allow solo a spell without disrupting, if he wanted to follow Torc's scouting proposal... Especially since half the party is helping.

I guess someone knows that cleric's gender now.

lord_khaine
2008-02-12, 04:47 AM
well unless the portal selectively removed only our magic gear, then it hasnt been a issue from the start....

Talic
2008-02-12, 05:01 AM
well unless the portal selectively removed only our magic gear, then it hasnt been a issue from the start....

Unless it was a, "Wait a second... I think I just failed a spot check."

lord_khaine
2008-02-12, 06:18 AM
with some 15 ranks in spot the only way to fail that check is if i did it on purpose.
besides that, did mccleric say something about healing those of us who got hit by angry golems?
and does anyone have any alternatives to my scouting suggestion?

hey i got an idea, ozymandias, if i take your familiar along though the portal, then we can use it as a signaling device, ill give it one squeze for come quickly, and two for "help im stuck in a pit trap full of scorpions"

Solo
2008-02-12, 09:47 AM
Wouldn't it make more sense to stop on the scorpions? You're immune to poison, aren't you?

Anyways, I'll follow you for scouting.

lord_khaine
2008-02-12, 11:44 AM
fine, then use whatever magic you need, and lets go though the portal

Solo
2008-02-12, 01:06 PM
I'll take a moment to cast another Greater Invisbility on myself, then off we go.

Torc and Ozymandias step through, I guess.

lord_khaine
2008-02-12, 03:23 PM
ok step though the portal, ill give you a count of 10 and then follow, so if something is lurking on the other side step back fast

btw, have mccleric healed the wounds we got from the golems?

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-12, 05:08 PM
McCleric can't heal them in an AMF (even though technically, it should be possible). Anyone who wants to step back through the first portal can get some healing. How much d'you need?

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-12, 05:11 PM
McCleric can't heal them in an AMF (even though technically, it should be possible). Anyone who wants to step back through the first portal can get some healing. How much d'you need?

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-12, 05:34 PM
McCleric can't heal them in an AMF (even though technically, it should be possible). Anyone who wants to step back through the first portal can get some healing. How much d'you need?

Talic
2008-02-13, 12:33 AM
In the last combat, one golem hit the monk for 18 damage. That was the total party damage sustained. If you want to assume average roll for healing, that's 1 CMW or 2 CLW. Since we're not in combat, dismissing the wall of force should allow full healing in 3 rounds (4 for CLW).


Round 1, both run to portal.
Round 2. Cure
Round 3. Cure (if CLW), otherwise Run back to position.
Round 4. If not back, run back to position.


Count of 10 is 2 rounds?

As for Oz, you attempt to walk into the portal, and go nowhere. The runes around the edge, clearly visible, glow red for a moment.

Knowledge (Arcana) [roll0]
EDIT: Having beaten the DC 25 check, the runes clearly outline a key, required for passage. The required item is a small chunk of hardened clay.

Solo
2008-02-13, 01:00 AM
Ozymandias goes to a clay golem, picks up some clay, and offers it to the portal.

If it opens, he'll go through.

lord_khaine
2008-02-13, 02:07 AM
count of 10 is 1 round, torc is impatient and counts fast.

Talic
2008-02-13, 05:38 AM
And Oz vanishes into the portal, which glowed briefly with a pleasant blue at the approach of the clay.

And Oz sees:

Very little, actually. The room you're in is remarkably large, as big as the last room... However, it's very, very dim. The light, while uniform throughout the whole room, is low enough to force squinting to see very far. Ahead, you see a chest, faintly glowing with runes (too obscured by darkness to accurately read at this distance), and beyond that, the portal to the next area.

The air in the room is stagnant, as though undisturbed for quite some time. The ground is rough and unworked, though the walls are smooth, as is the ceiling. Other than that, the room appears to be completely empty. And deathly silent.

Round 1 of the third challenge has begun. (2nd combat challenge)

lord_khaine
2008-02-13, 08:42 AM
one.....

picks up something that used to be the head of a clay golem

Solo
2008-02-13, 01:43 PM
Ozymandias will have his bat familiar, with Blindsense, to locate anything around him.

Spot: [roll0]

Having an ominous feeling about this room, Ozymandias will stay quiet and ready an action to cast Timestop if the excrement meets up with the ventilation device.

Talic
2008-02-13, 02:57 PM
Ozymandias will have his bat familiar, with Blindsense, to locate anything around him.

Spot: [roll0]

Having an ominous feeling about this room, Ozymandias will stay quiet and ready an action to cast Timestop if the excrement meets up with the ventilation device.

Within its 20 foot blindsense? Nothing. However, that ominous feeling is echoed though your familiar's empathic link. It's nothing your bat can place definately, either. Spot check also reveals nothing.

Note: Readied actions can only be taken as standard actions in combat. Thus, you have to be aware of the foe you're facing to get them. You may take them if you have actions in a surprise round, but do not get the benefit of them while flat footed. I will take your statement to mean that you fully expect a hostile encounter, and every sense you have is considerably on edge. Low chance of being surprised.

EDIT: Round 2. Torc the monk arrives on scene at top of the round.

Other EDIT: Mechanical effects for illumination level: all attacks in the room have a 20% concealment. Vision is possible to the entire room, however, since there is concealment, so is hiding.

Room dimensions: Same as last room, with the exception of the ceiling being 30 feet overhead.

Solo
2008-02-13, 04:22 PM
Hi, Torc. It's pretty dark in here, isn't it? I suppose it'd be a good idea if I tried to brighten up the situation?

Ozymandias is offering to cast Light in order to illuminate the place better.

lord_khaine
2008-02-13, 06:06 PM
it might be an idea to wait with that, it can easely be that whatevers hiding around here will be attractet to the light.

i suggest we get the rest of the gang inside first, then we can try to sweep the room for whatever might be hiding around here.

torc leans in though the portal and call for the rest of the group to join them.

Talic
2008-02-14, 02:09 AM
Group on Anitmagic side of portal has actions and then it's round 3.

Map for this area. (http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w85/maharai23/Challenge2.jpg)

Designed by yours truly. Entry portal is 10x5x10, ejects to any of the 4 squares it occupies.

Exit portal is 10x10x30, entry from any of the 4 squares it occupies.

(that's width x length x vertical height)

Also, full screen the image, or it looks like poo.

lord_khaine
2008-02-14, 05:32 AM
hmm this would be a great hiding place for some sort of nasty soulsucking undead shadowghost.

well i suggest we try and do this the usual way, where i run out and try to find whatevers hiding out there, and you then blast it to kingdom come while its chasing me.

Solo
2008-02-14, 10:31 AM
hmm this would be a great hiding place for some sort of nasty soulsucking undead shadowghost.



Wouldn't that be a little... obvious? I mean, it seems every time undead are involved, there's gloom and doom about. It's getting to be a cliche by now... but good plan, I suppose.

I think, however, something like Protection from Evil would make it better.

I shall drop the readiness to cast Timestop and buff the Monk with Pro. Evil before he heads out.

lord_khaine
2008-02-14, 11:44 AM
well think about what we have seen of this guy so far, he seems to be very... "traditionbound", and i doubt he could walk by a room like this without planting at least a couple of undeads.

oh and btw, a couple of rocks enchantet with light should also help me seach the room and spread some joy.

Solo
2008-02-14, 02:12 PM
Ok, Ozymandias can do that too.

Cast Light on two rocks.

lord_khaine
2008-02-14, 04:47 PM
they are sure taking their time, do you think they missed the part about needing a hand from the golems to pass though the portal?

Talic
2008-02-14, 04:55 PM
You will get the Protection from evil in round 2, no problem. However, I want to give the other players an opportunity to act, or decline to act, before going into round 3, and ESPECIALLY before going into round 4.

Worira
2008-02-14, 09:40 PM
Gragthor steps through the portal, listening carefully.

(moving in, taking 10 on a listen check for a result of 33. Oh, and does my darkvision help at all?)

Solo
2008-02-14, 10:43 PM
Ok... we'll just say that each round, if there is nothing better to do, I'll light the rocks. Obviously I wouldn't do it during combat.

Talic
2008-02-14, 10:45 PM
Gragthor steps through the portal, listening carefully.

(moving in, taking 10 on a listen check for a result of 33. Oh, and does my darkvision help at all?)

Even to your finely tuned ears, the room is as silent as death itself. Not so much as a drip of water anywhere... The only sounds any of you have picked up so far, are the echoes of your own voices.

And darkvision most certainly does not help. The difficulty seeing, and miss chance due to concealment extend to darkvision as well. Which lets you know the effect is magical, at least.

lord_khaine
2008-02-15, 01:08 AM
does taking 10 on a spot check, for a final result of 30 reveal anything?

Talic
2008-02-15, 01:48 AM
does taking 10 on a spot check, for a final result of 30 reveal anything?

Nothing at all. All your senses tell you this room is empty. Still, there's something that you can't quite place.

We'll give Gen a bit longer to get in the thread again and get an action in, then we'll move forward with round 3.

lord_khaine
2008-02-15, 03:11 PM
hello grag, nice of you to drop by.

heh, ill bet the bill from our last drinking contest on there being some sort of nasty shadowmonster in here..

Solo
2008-02-15, 06:38 PM
I don't see why you would say that.

Actually, I can't see much of anything right now.

lord_khaine
2008-02-15, 06:47 PM
the room with the golems in was well lit, though they didnt need it, there has to be a reason why this place is kept in the dark, and ill bet its to help something nasty hide in here.

we should be on our guards, any time now we could get attacked by the darkness...

Solo
2008-02-15, 09:10 PM
Relax, I know Magic Missile.

Talic
2008-02-16, 01:42 AM
I think two days is long enough a wait for characters to check in. Assume this round that Gen is ensuring nothing comes through the portal (located just on the other side of portal). If her absence persists, I may need another player to assume temporary control of her character until whatever it is that has indisposed her has passed.

Round 3: Zeronumerous, if you would place your 3 arriving creatures? Note that they cannot be hiding when they arrive, but if you find a way to remove LoS from all PC characters, they will be able to in subsequent rounds.

Initiative checks, if you would. More descriptions will be available shortly. If Zero doesn't manage to check in for whatever reason, I'll personally control the troops.

Further, if all players would place their characters, within 10 feet of the portal(as no movement has been declared within the room); otherwise, however you like.

EDIT: Oh, and Worira, Mr. Blinky just woke up. :smallbiggrin: Grag will be happy at that, I'm sure.

Solo
2008-02-16, 01:44 AM
Initiative:

[roll0]

I'll be right behind Torc.

lord_khaine
2008-02-16, 04:34 AM
initiative [roll0]

torc is standing on 18.37

Talic
2008-02-16, 03:16 PM
That puts Solo on 18, 38.

I've discussed initial placement of creatures a few days ago with Zero, when I knew you were getting closer to this room. He discussed his strategy with me, and I think I can faithfully carry out the initial part.

Three creatures fade in without so much as a hint of sound... Difficult to pick out in the darkness, they are actually easiest to tell by looking at the darker spots in the room. Hovering slightly above the ground, their heads instantly snap in your direction, despite your invisibility. You recognize these things clearly as Dread Wraiths.

D Wraith 1 - Location 10/11, 36/37 - Init: [roll0]
D Wraith 2 - Location 12/13, 33/34 - Init: [roll1]
D Wraith 3 - Location 22/23, 33/34 - Init: [roll2]

Welcome to Round 3.

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing, Solo. Your bat is narrowly saved from an Unnatural Aura by the fact that his type is now Magical Beast, and not Animal. Nonetheless, its animal senses are telling it to wet itself and cry.

lord_khaine
2008-02-16, 05:55 PM
Oh dam sometimes i hate when im right.....

Solo
2008-02-16, 07:19 PM
Ozymandias recoils, then decides to do the best he can against such an opponent by running over his spells known.


(OOC: Does Greater Shadow Evocation work to duplicate Mage's Sword, Bigby's Groping Grasping Hand, or Forecage?

Can I get some buffing so I can have a greater attack bonus? Gen McCleric does have some buffs for the party, right?

Also, what kind of room are we in? Underground or what?

And if so, what is the time of day?)

Talic
2008-02-17, 05:10 AM
Ozymandias recoils, then decides to do the best he can against such an opponent by running over his spells known.


(OOC: Does Greater Shadow Evocation work to duplicate Mage's Sword, Bigby's Groping Grasping Hand, or Forecage?

Yes, Yes, and Yes.


Can I get some buffing so I can have a greater attack bonus? Gen McCleric does have some buffs for the party, right?

At the start of round 4, if Rachel has not checked in, another player may review her sheet, and enter her at top of the initiative.


Also, what kind of room are we in? Underground or what?

From the looks of it, yes, though it does appear to be a demiplane of some sort.


And if so, what is the time of day?)
As best you can estimate, a couple hours after noon.

Worira
2008-02-17, 12:13 PM
Init: [roll0]

Gragthor will charge wraith1, power attacking for all his BAB.
Mr. Blinky will activate simultaneously.

miss chance due to concealment: [roll1]
miss chance due to incorporeal foe: [roll2]
miss chance due to Mr. Blinky, if applicable: [roll3]
miss chances considered missed if rolled under 21/51.

Attack roll against flatfooted AC: [roll4]

64 damage on a successful hit.

lord_khaine
2008-02-17, 12:59 PM
isnt that a bit early worria?
the 3 wraiths have a action before you.

Talic
2008-02-17, 01:36 PM
The wraiths appeared to have done nothing this round, thus far. However, even considering that the foe is not flat footed, he got smashed up pretty good. 64 damage. Noted.

Khaine, you did have an option to do something at initiative count 9.
Solo will act at initiative count 5.

Solo
2008-02-17, 01:43 PM
In another dimension, with voyeuristic intention
Well-secluded, I see all

Cast Greater Prying Eyes, to summon [roll0] eyes, and tell 2 of them to turn about, take a look around the room, then report to me what they find.

Shall we roll for the cleric, btw?

Initiative: [roll1]

Highest out of the party.

Gen will.... delay initiative to go after Torc, and before the wraiths.

Talic
2008-02-17, 01:52 PM
With a listed fly speed, they should be able to run on a fly. That means the two of them will be able to handle the entire room in 2 rounds (one of them would have been able to actually, by flying to the dead center of the room and back. Both shall do that.) If you'd care to roll a 1d20+25 for each of them?

Solo
2008-02-17, 01:54 PM
Search Checks:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Talic
2008-02-17, 03:01 PM
kk, they'll return next round, you can absorb them if you delay 'til after them. Alternately, you can just wait 1 additional round.

lord_khaine
2008-02-17, 05:34 PM
i think you mean you charge wraith 3, thats the only one thats within reach worria.

Torc moves to 16.26, raises his hand in total defence, and yells

The sacret Flames of Pelor Will Devour you, Undead Abominations

Talic
2008-02-17, 10:07 PM
i think you mean you charge wraith 3, thats the only one thats within reach worria.

Torc moves to 16.26, raises his hand in total defence, and yells

The sacret Flames of Pelor Will Devour you, Undead Abominations

All three wraiths are within 35 feet of your last location, Khaine, they're all within easy charge range for someone with 40ft move and a reach weapon. Worira's position is currently 13, 38, to put him max distance away from other wraiths while being able to attack wraith 1.

For reference, the entry portal is at 18/19, 39/40. It occupies 2 rows, and 2 columns, like the wraiths, and so is listed bottom numbers first, side numbers second.

The wraiths decide to act just after Solo with his spell. Wraith 2 and 3 move, to the following locations:

D Wraith 2 - Location 12/13, 35/36 - 10 foot move
D Wraith 3 - Location 22/23, 33/34 - about 50 foot move

D Wraith 1 and 2 attack Grag.
[roll0]
Miss chance: [roll1]
[roll2]
Miss chance: [roll3]

DWraith 3 attacks Torc.
[roll4]

For Each hit, Player takes 9 damage, and needs to make a Fort DC25.

All miss chances assume a roll of 1-20 misses (they can see grag, but he's still blinking).

Solo
2008-02-17, 10:35 PM
McCleric will use Turn Undead!

Turn check: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Most powerful HD of undead affected: 19th level.

Total number of HD of undead that can be turned: 20

Edit: Add +2 to whichever relevant roll for Rachel's ranks in K. Religion. I'm not entirely sure which roll it applies to.

Talic
2008-02-18, 12:44 AM
McCleric will use Turn Undead!

Turn check: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Most powerful HD of undead affected: 19th level.

Total number of HD of undead that can be turned: 20

Edit: Add +2 to whichever relevant roll for Rachel's ranks in K. Religion. I'm not entirely sure which roll it applies to.

+2 applies to the turn check, not the turn damage. As such, She can, by the roll, turn a 20 HD undead. She is currently under a -6 penalty to turn checks, however. That places her at turning as an 18th level cleric. Still enough to turn a Dread wraith, and her damage check shows that she will indeed, turn 1. Closest wraith to her is turned.

As the wraiths were delaying as well, I have to go by initiative modifier to determine who goes first. Since the wraiths are far superior, they get the go. Initiative changes to reflect delayed actions. Please position cleric on the map, and Round 4 will begin, top of the order.

Solo
2008-02-18, 12:57 AM
Gen will... let's say she's to Ozymandias's right, for simplicity.

Do we get any AoOs?

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-18, 01:24 AM
(Sorry, folks--I've been really sick. Strep throat, which has now turned into tonsillitis. Ugh. All hopped up on meds at the moment.

Turning seems a fine use of my action last round.)

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-18, 01:29 AM
Gen gestures at an uninjured wraith and speaks holy words, hoping to reach the incorporeal beast and cause a pillar of white light slams down from the ceiling to the floor where a dread wraith stands.

(Casting Heal
Miss chance: [roll0]
Ranged touch attack (Divine Reach): [roll1]

If it misses, Gen holds the touch spell.
150 damage, DC 27 Will save for half. Can't reduce below 1 HP.)

Solo
2008-02-18, 01:32 AM
Gen! Incorporeal creatures suffer no miss chance from Positive Energy effects!

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#incorporealSubtype

it has a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source (except for positive energy, negative energy, force effects such as magic missile, or attacks made with ghost touch weapons).

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-18, 01:43 AM
Well, then. BOOM.

"A Magic Missile will finish it after this!"

Talic
2008-02-18, 02:19 AM
Gen will... let's say she's to Ozymandias's right, for simplicity.

Do we get any AoOs?

No, movement was planned so as to avoid them. With their 10' reach, only Grag would have had a shot at getting one anyway... And as the wraiths moved to engage the two people that are somewhat seperated from the party, there wasn't too much difficulty there.

lord_khaine
2008-02-18, 04:13 AM
As the wraiths were delaying as well, I have to go by initiative modifier to determine who goes first. Since the wraiths are far superior, they get the go. Initiative changes to reflect delayed actions. Please position cleric on the map, and Round 4 will begin, top of the order

ok now im sligtly confused, when is the wraiths will act?
and also i suspect i have mixed the portals up, if grag can reach that wraith.

talic could you update the map with the position of things?

edit.

ok im not the only one who is confused, how can wraith 3 reach me at 16.26 from over there?

Talic
2008-02-18, 08:59 AM
Map (http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w85/maharai23/Challenge2players.jpg) is edited to show moved positions. I just had to remove DM/monster info. Bear in mind, when I read coordinates, I read in standard grid fashion. X axis, Y axis. That means that the number before the comma is the one on the bottom. The number after the comma is the one on the side.

Thus 18/19, 24/25 Would mean a 10x10 creature. You'd go across the bottom and find 18 and 19. Then you'd follow that up to the 4 squares it intersects with the 24 and 25 row on the side. That's the 10x10 location such a creature would be filling.

Thus, your 16, 26, means, go across the bottom to 16. Follow up until you get to row 26. That's the location. If you meant 26,16, let me know, though it would still likely reach you on a charge.

Talic
2008-02-18, 09:03 AM
Will save for wraith, assuming the one within 30 feet that Grag HASN'T beat on. Nix last turn check in favor of Gen's actual action.

[roll0]

If pass, 75 damage, If fail, 135 damage.

Edit: 75 damage, and it's hurting and PISSED.

Edit 2: Anyone who would like to make a free DC 22 Spellcraft check, be my guest.

lord_khaine
2008-02-18, 11:03 AM
this thing moves to slow to be a ghost, i think its some sort of illusion

with these words Torc tumbles to 16.18, still in total defence.

Solo
2008-02-18, 12:14 PM
Will save for wraith, assuming the one within 30 feet that Grag HASN'T beat on. Nix last turn check in favor of Gen's actual action.

[roll0]

If pass, 75 damage, If fail, 135 damage.

Edit: 75 damage, and it's hurting and PISSED.

Edit 2: Anyone who would like to make a free DC 22 Spellcraft check, be my guest.

My Spellcraft check is at a +26 modifier already. Do I need to roll?

Talic
2008-02-18, 02:56 PM
Torc's action is noted. Next is Gragthor.

Spellcraft result: Effect: Identify an existing 2nd level spell effect already in place, based on character interaction with the effect.

Solo, the wraiths seem to be less hurt than they should be from the attacks, both physical and magical. After focusing for a moment, there seem to be two magical emanations in the room, other than darkness. Both seem to be Desecration effects, both seem incredibly powerful effects (treated as a shrine to an evil deity), and one seems to be... moving... At least, you're pretty sure it is, as the wraiths seem to be visibly drawing strength from it. The general area of the effects are:

1) The vicinity of Gragthor and the two wraiths. This desecration effect is slowly creeping towards the entrance portal.

2) Immediately to your right. This desecration effect is completely engulfing the area of the portal... Including the area you're standing on.

Solo
2008-02-18, 03:05 PM
Gen, I'm detecting a strong field of Desecration here, and it seems to be spreading. What do you think is causing it?

Ozymandias will try to determine what else is going on, if possible.
K. Arcana: [roll0]
Spellcraft: [roll1]

Also, I shall take a round to see what one of my Arcane Eyes picked up.

Edit: On my turn, of course.

Talic
2008-02-18, 03:50 PM
Gen, I'm detecting a strong field of Desecration here, and it seems to be spreading. What do you think is causing it?

Ozymandias will try to determine what else is going on, if possible.
K. Arcana: [roll0]
Spellcraft: [roll1]

Also, I shall take a round to see what one of my Arcane Eyes picked up.

Not spreading. The effect is seemingly portable. As for the eye, you'll be able to do that on your initiative.

EDIT: Knowledge will grant you the following, on your turn: As Desecrate is not a portable effect, by the spell, this cannot be a cast version. That means that there is a pair of moving sources of immense evil, strong enough to radiate such an aura, in this room. As to exactly what it could be, Knowledge(the Planes) or Knowledge (religion) will offer more information. The DC of those checks is 31.

Solo
2008-02-20, 01:53 AM
Quick, somebody do something!

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-20, 02:05 AM
Like what?

Solo
2008-02-20, 02:13 AM
Isn't it Grag and Torc's turn to attack them?

lord_khaine
2008-02-20, 02:54 AM
i have done something, i tried to find the real opponent

Talic
2008-02-20, 02:57 AM
Isn't it Grag and Torc's turn to attack them?

Torc has his planned action laid out. Tumbling and total defense. He may change it up to the point that Grag acts. It is currently Grag's action.

If he does not post by midday, I'll authorize another player to make grag's attack, discounting the miss chance from blink, as even when ethereal (and thus incorporeal), he still, by the text of incorporeal, can hit other incorporeal creatures. Based on the fact that incorporeal's ability to hit is couched with other items that incur a 50% miss chance, we'll keep that on both sides) Thus, he'll have a 20% conceal effect, and a 50% incorporeal miss chance, regardless of whether he's in the material plane or the ethereal one, and blink has no functional impact on the ability to hit.

Wraiths make attacks against corporeal foes with no miss chance. This is not shown to extend to incorporeal creatures. Blink miss chance will apply, however, if the blink chance is shown to miss, the wraith will get the 50/50 chance entitled above to incorporeal creatures attacking. Net result of this is that the dread wraith has a 25% chance of auto missing a blinking opponent (lifesense bypassing the darkness), whereas in this environment, a blinking opponent will have a 60% total chance to miss the wraiths. Feel free to roll your percentages individually or use the derived number above. OpFor will roll all chances individually.

EDIT: Turn count: 4. Initiative count: Gragthor's action.

lord_khaine
2008-02-20, 04:54 AM
if Ozymandias actualy points out where he senses a desecration effect spreading from Torg would move over there instead to investigate.

Talic
2008-02-20, 05:07 AM
if Ozymandias actualy points out where he senses a desecration effect spreading from Torg would move over there instead to investigate.

Bear in mind, this will put you back into the pocket that the wraiths seem to be attempting to form, surrounding the group... That, or much closer to the wraiths that grag is engaging.

lord_khaine
2008-02-20, 06:00 AM
well from the start my plan has been to try and lure as many wraiths as possible into attacking me, since lag off a magic weapon forces me into total defence i might as well try and make the wraiths waste their time on a target they proberly wont hit.

Talic
2008-02-20, 07:10 AM
well from the start my plan has been to try and lure as many wraiths as possible into attacking me, since lag off a magic weapon forces me into total defence i might as well try and make the wraiths waste their time on a target they proberly wont hit.

I wonder if there's and Greater Magic Weapons left... They can be applied to a monk's unarmed strike.

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-20, 07:22 AM
I wonder if there's and Greater Magic Weapons left... They can be applied to a monk's unarmed strike.

Nope, mine're all out.

lord_khaine
2008-02-20, 08:54 AM
of course, i did have a pearl of power for situations like that, but some complete and undead bastard have taken it and hidden it in a trappet chest..

Worira
2008-02-20, 01:41 PM
Torc has his planned action laid out. Tumbling and total defense. He may change it up to the point that Grag acts. It is currently Grag's action.

If he does not post by midday, I'll authorize another player to make grag's attack, discounting the miss chance from blink, as even when ethereal (and thus incorporeal), he still, by the text of incorporeal, can hit other incorporeal creatures. Based on the fact that incorporeal's ability to hit is couched with other items that incur a 50% miss chance, we'll keep that on both sides) Thus, he'll have a 20% conceal effect, and a 50% incorporeal miss chance, regardless of whether he's in the material plane or the ethereal one, and blink has no functional impact on the ability to hit.

Wraiths make attacks against corporeal foes with no miss chance. This is not shown to extend to incorporeal creatures. Blink miss chance will apply, however, if the blink chance is shown to miss, the wraith will get the 50/50 chance entitled above to incorporeal creatures attacking. Net result of this is that the dread wraith has a 25% chance of auto missing a blinking opponent (lifesense bypassing the darkness), whereas in this environment, a blinking opponent will have a 60% total chance to miss the wraiths. Feel free to roll your percentages individually or use the derived number above. OpFor will roll all chances individually.

EDIT: Turn count: 4. Initiative count: Gragthor's action.

But I'm not just incorporeal while blinking, I'm ethereal. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#etherealness) I simply can't interact with the material plane, and vice versa. Incorporeal creatures are still on the material plane. Also, blindsight (and thus lifesense) doesn't detect ethereal creatures, meaning they're denied their dex bonus to AC.

Anyway, fort save(s)

[roll0]
[roll1]
I didn't bother adding a modifier, since I'll make it on anything but a one.

Gragthor's actions:

Gragthor rages, then full attacks, power attacking for full, starting with the wraith he has already hit and 5-foot stepping to the other if he drops the first.

Attack one: [roll2]
Blink, 20%: [roll3]
Incorporeal, 50%: [roll4]
Concealment, 20%: [roll5]
Attack two: [roll6]
Blink, 20%: [roll7]
Incorporeal, 50%: [roll8]
Concealment, 20%: [roll9]
Attack three: [roll10]
Blink, 20%: [roll11]
Incorporeal, 50%: [roll12]
Concealment, 20%: [roll13]
Attack four: [roll14]
Blink, 20%: [roll15]
Incorporeal, 50%: [roll16]
Concealment, 20%: [roll17]

All attacks are against flatfooted AC, and deal 75 points of damage on a successful hit.

Worira
2008-02-20, 01:46 PM
Hmm, my rolls seem to have borked. Let's try that again.

Saves:
[roll0]
[roll1]


Attack one: [roll2]
Blink, 20%: [roll3]
Incorporeal, 50%: [roll4]
Concealment, 20%: [roll5]
Attack two: [roll6]
Blink, 20%: [roll7]
Incorporeal, 50%: [roll8]
Concealment, 20%: [roll9]
Attack three: [roll10]
Blink, 20%: [roll11]
Incorporeal, 50%: [roll12]
Concealment, 20%: [roll13]
Attack four: [roll14]
Blink, 20%: [roll15]
Incorporeal, 50%: [roll16]
Concealment, 20%: [roll17]

Talic
2008-02-20, 03:03 PM
Ok, the part that's had me confused was I was applying ghost's incorporeal ability (which show it partially ethereal), with all incorporeal abilities.

By RAW, you may hit other incorporeal foes when incorporeal. However, as the direct RAW is vastly superceded by the common sense assertation that you're incorporeal in different ways (wraiths are only partially there, you're somewhere else entirely), I will rule that blink works on wraiths the exact same way as it does other foes. If this were a ghost, that exists mainly in the ethereal plane, it would be a different story.

You: 20% conceal, 20% blink, 50% incorporeal.

Wraith: 50% blink.

By this reasoning, and applying the same failure numbers you used last time (1-20 and 1-50 misses), all attacks missed.

Attacks 1, 2, and 3 missed due to incorporeal. Attack 4 failed on concealment AND blink.

Action is to Solo, followed by the wraiths, and then Gen.

Solo
2008-02-20, 03:31 PM
I shall take a round to absorb what one of the eyes shows me.

I use eye number [roll0]

So take the eye's spot check and yeah, tell me what I see.

Talic
2008-02-20, 10:54 PM
I shall take a round to absorb what one of the eyes shows me.

I use eye number [roll0]

So take the eye's spot check and yeah, tell me what I see.
As Torc did not receive an update from Oz, he is currently in 16, 18, tumbling, in full defense
The shadows that have been providing concealment provide no protection from the power of the Eyes you have. Nor do the Invisibility spells that the two creatures you notice. Without concealment in which to hide, the best sneakiness of your opponents is laid bare enough for a child to see.

There are also a pair of Gargantuan shadowy creatures, shaped roughly like a humanoid, in the room. Specifically, one is in 10/11, 34/35 (20 ft from worira, immediately behind wraiths).
The other is in 21/22, 39/40 (15 feet to your east).

However, without the eye's true seeing effect, you no longer have sight of them... Only where they were up to the moment you absorbed (as they are within 120 feet of you, both of them).

Solo
2008-02-20, 11:42 PM
I shout out the last known location of both of the creatures, telling the others to be on guard, as well as move behind Gen so as to get away from the creepy critter near me.

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-21, 12:07 AM
[roll0] for Gen's meager Knowledge: Religion.

When initiative comes around, Gen will cast Death Ward on Ozy.

[color=Green]"Everyone, gather around; I'll put up a Blade Barrier around us."

Talic
2008-02-21, 12:49 AM
[roll0] for Gen's meager Knowledge: Religion.

When initiative comes around, Gen will cast Death Ward on Ozy.

[color=Green]"Everyone, gather around; I'll put up a Blade Barrier around us."

That'll be right after the wraiths. Oh, and darn you. The closest one had a readied action for finger of death on ozy if he attempted to cast. Oh well, with the spellcraft check he has, he auto knows the spell you cast. Down side, nobody triggered his ready action, and he's sure not gonna take it now.

Knowledge religion checks to identify undead, and useful information about them, starts at 10+HD of monster. In this case, 31. I'll rule that DC -5 will get you monster name without any useful information, but you didn't reach that either.

The other check that will identify this monster is Knowledge (The Planes), as it is an extraplanar creature. (Environment is the plane of Shadow).

Solo
2008-02-21, 12:49 AM
I'm invisible and you don't know exactly where I am, so you can't touch me to cast the spell, Rachel. Just cast Blade Barrier or buy us some time while I do my thing.

Talic
2008-02-21, 12:56 AM
Wraiths on Grag attack. All blink rolls of 50% or less miss. Any hits require a fort save, natural 1 fails.
[roll0]
Blink Chance: [roll1]

[roll2]
Blink Chance: [roll3]

Third wraith has no apparent action.

Gen casts death ward on Ozy.

End of Round 5, start of round 6.

Another dread wraith appears (Designated Wraith 4), this time at 3/4, 39/40.

Initiative: [roll4]

Talic
2008-02-21, 12:57 AM
Dread wraith gets first action, no visible action.

Talic
2008-02-21, 01:03 AM
Solo, if you're moving by her, it's a simple action to say something to clue her into your location. And you did say something. Then, the cast and touch, as a full round action, shouldn't have a problem. She announced no movement, so it's all legit.

Solo
2008-02-21, 01:03 AM
So, four dread wraiths and two unknown monsters?

Time to get serious.

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-21, 01:11 AM
Gen feels the need to protect the low-Fort-save sorcerer (that's what you get for not being Shapechanged into a Nymph) from the nasty undeads. Assuming Ozy wants to be touched, the Death Ward goes on. "Buy us a little time, Ozy. Prismatic Sphere, or maybe a Wall of Force straight up. We need to see the invisible, for starters."

Talic
2008-02-21, 01:15 AM
So, four dread wraiths and two unknown monsters?

Time to get serious.

Serious? By the monsters you've seen so far, I'm only at CR 18.

Solo
2008-02-21, 01:19 AM
Alright, I'll accept the Death Ward.

Ozymandias casts Time Stop on his turn, and does a jump to the left (5 ft step) and then takes a step to the right, puts his hands on his hips, tucking his knees in tight, before doing a pelvic thrust, thus ending the somatic portion of the spell. Now all we need is the verbal component...


Let's do the Time Warp again!

Rounds: [roll0]



Gen feels the need to protect the low-Fort-save sorcerer (that's what you get for not being Shapechanged into a Nymph)

I'm on a diet. I can't afford cheese.

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-21, 01:21 AM
Serious? By the monsters you've seen so far, I'm only at CR 18.

Yeah, but we're still missing most of our gear. +5 on a Finger of Death save makes a big difference.

Talic
2008-02-21, 01:37 AM
Yeah, but we're still missing most of our gear. +5 on a Finger of Death save makes a big difference.

OOC
I have full faith in your abilities to take care of this challenge. I designed this so that you'd have to play very very well to avoid needing to rest once. Further, you personally have the ability to cast true res at least twice without rememorizing. There's few death rays in this challenge, and all are DC < 20 to resist.

It's the at will abilities of nightwalkers that are more worrisome. Haste, Invisibility, Greater Dispel magic, See invisibility, to name but a few. The one shots, cone of cold, plane shift, finger of death, those you only have to face once. That, and their summoning abilities, and that desecration aura.

That said, Current initiative places action at Torc, then Grag, then Solo, then wraiths, then Gen. The placing of the Nightwalkers (Designate the one near grag as Walker 1, the one nearer the portal as Walker, 2. Neither have levels of ranger, rest easy in my lack of bad jokes delivered by stabby attacks) Gen shall apparently have to wait a few rounds though, as the time warp is about to start.

Solo
2008-02-21, 01:51 AM
Just checking, I do have Deathward by now, right?

Remember, Gen goes before I do due to higher initiative. I just had him delay the first time.

Talic
2008-02-21, 02:00 AM
Just checking, I do have Deathward by now, right?

Remember, Gen goes before I do due to higher initiative. I just had him delay the first time.

Per SRD, Delaying and readying actions changes your location in the initiative count to the one on which you act.

And yes, you have the death ward prior to Wraith 4's appearance.

lord_khaine
2008-02-21, 04:57 AM
Torc moves to 16.34 and tries to spot the ghostly menage Ozymandias is talking about.

spot [roll0]

Talic
2008-02-21, 08:20 AM
[roll0]
You fail to notice anything, even with guidance from Solo.

lord_khaine
2008-02-21, 04:31 PM
hmm, i cant see any invisible monsters here?

Solo
2008-02-21, 04:34 PM
You can't see invisible monsters? Absurd. What next, you won't be able to hear silent ninjas?

Rachel Lorelei
2008-02-21, 07:31 PM
With Avorals pointing out the invisible whatchamacallits, I've got just the thing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sunbeam.htm) to take care of'em.