PDA

View Full Version : Benevolence (IC)



Icewalker
2008-01-24, 05:27 PM
Chapter One: A Mutual Father

The funeral is over. The sun shines down on the field as the last few people sit on chairs outside at the reading of Aernac's will. The few remaining besides yourselves are relatives, some have already received their inheritance, and most that have have already left in disgust. (Aernac hated all his relatives). Standing in front of the chairs next to a now almost empty crate is Gebin Ginn, Aernac's cousin, and the only family member he actually liked. Gebin is also an older man now, standing in a worn pinstripe suit with slicked back grey hair. Similar to Aernac, he always cared little for his appearance and more for his works and studies, in his case mechanical instead of magical. The suit appears to have oil stains on it. He continues to read the end of the will.

"...and to my sister Tia, who would always demand that I clean my clothes and wash after staying up for days on end doing research, I leave...my clothes."

A tall thin older woman in 'mourning' black walks irately up to the front, where Gebin pulls out a shoddy hamper full of clothes. They appear to be dirty. Gebin snickers as she strides away scowling.

[hr]
Aernac's house is a quite impressive one. A somewhat large building with many labs, libraries, and studies. The building itself has fallen into slight disrepair, as he generally doesn't concern himself with such things. There are large windows looking out in all different directions. Some out over the savannah, and one from his main study where he spent most of his time looking out upon the huge old baobab tree in his yard. The long yellow grass sways in the wind as the last few people walk away from the reading of the will. They head towards the gate in the barbed wire lines hanging out in a thin circle around the house.

Valairn
2008-01-24, 05:55 PM
Kel Narokan

Kel stands at the front, his tall straight posture, is dwarfed by the dark cloak and hood that drifts down in a single piece to just above his ankles. A huge sword sweeps in a neat curve, sharp and powerful, its outline is clear underneath the cloak, it comes out the side and looks like its sheath was rigged to be accessed easily from its strange angle. Leather boots bind his feet, they look comfortable, like he went out of his way to buy just that pair. And a chain shirt that meet normal leather riding gloves come together to cover him. When he turned to watch the sister leave, his face was not visible through the cloak, almost as if light somehow evaded it.

During the funeral he could be seen to shift almost impatiently, mainly from some unspoken frustration. He was not kind to the relatives either, often laughing audibly when a particular unkind gift was left from the will. He had served Aernac for a very long time, and seeing the mage finally being able to truly speak his disgust for his family in a way that no one could pretend was a joke, made him glad. He had been very fond of the mage, and now that his life was over, Kel was glad that he at least was able to see his last wishes be fulfilled.

Truth be told, he was completely unsure of what to do with himself, the mages wishes had been his life, every step over the years had been taken to help this great man. It bothered him to realize how important the mage had really been to him, such a hole was not easily filled.

I will make the best of it.

fendrin
2008-01-24, 07:27 PM
XVII

XVII sits in a seat in the rear. The sun glints off of his gleaming body, with it's smooth curves and ornate etchings. His shoulders bear black enameled letters used to signify his place in the experiment: XVII. He wears no clothing, carries no gear. He is a study in perfect form, shining mithral covers most of his body, with rich polished wood and other, less obviously identifiable materials showing in a few places. His metal face and deep purple eyes give no indication what, if anything, is going on in the metallic head.

Why am I here? Because Aernac wanted me here. So what? So he was important. But he is dead now, what does it matter? It is a sign of respect. Respect for a lump of no longer living flesh? No, respect for the man that flesh used to be. And what good is respect to him now that he is no more? I was requested to be here for a reason. And what reason was that? That remains to be seen. Will I learn my purpose? Perhaps. Perhaps? Perhaps.

pseudovere
2008-01-24, 09:20 PM
Virhan stood at the back of the crowd wearing his greyish-brown, threadbare shirt and pants, and an expression of glee on his face, contrasting oddly with his shaving scabs, stray whiskers and disheveled hair. He watched the proceedings of the funeral with all the rapt attention of a child at a carnival and furiously scribbled notes into a book with his surprisingly beautiful and almost microscopic handwriting.

There was so much to take in! He had never been to a funeral before. He had filled up almost 3 pages in his book in just a couple hours. But it left so many questions. Why were all of these people so interested in Aernac's death? Dieing didn't seem that interesting. In fact, it seemed rather boring if you thought about it. Not much to see. And being in a box until it rotted away sounded unpleasant, stuffy, and probably fairly smelly too. He would have to ask Aernac...

...right.

Virhan set down his pen in the spine of his book and stared off into space, his expression changing from joy to a small frown. He didn't really know what he would do now that Aernac wasn't here anymore. He had tried to hold down a job multiple times, but he had never really been too good at it. On top of that, he didn't really know anyone besides Aernac, at least not anyone he wanted to know. There wasn't anyone he could talk to anymore.

Well, there was no use on dwelling on these sort of things. Virhan pulled at the crystal dangling on the necklace he kept hidden beneath his shirt, and walked up closer to the front of the chairs. There was more often than not a slight scent of magic on things that Aernac had owned, and it was always fun to attempt to decipher what it was from.

Voth
2008-01-24, 09:55 PM
Gilgimesh

Sitting towards the back in a corner is a gnome, wearing tan traveling robes and carrying a black quarterstaff. If you look closely it seems as though he is crying, which is understandable after such a great loss.

I can not believe that he is gone. It seems like he would always be around for me and we could share adventuring stories. He was my inspiration for so many things. My study of the Art, traveling, learning, and living. My world feels as though it has been torn asunder. Why did you have to leave? Father...

VENNDOR
2008-01-24, 09:59 PM
Maq sits off in the corner of the assembly. His face is a mask of grief. Maq and his family had been very close to Aernac since Maq was just a child. Now that Aernac could no longer provide for him and his ailing mother, he knew he would have to find some work, and thoughts of his uncertain future and memories of Aernac Cloud his mind. He looks at the sky, the rays of the sun dance in his blue eyes. His unstrung bow and sheathed rapier hang from the back of his chair. A warm breeze rufffles his sea green tunic. He is gripped with a sudden urge to return to the sea and his home. he lowers his head without hearing, and the proceedings pass him by

Stabby
2008-01-25, 12:27 PM
Daggoo is perched on the windowsill along one wall, watching everything with an unblinking eye. He subconsciously fiddles with the heavy black and purple robes of mourning, so unlike his usual loose and flowing vest and trousers.

Da will be heartbroken when he hears the news. He must be halfway to the Shoal by now. He'll be so upset not to get to say good-bye. At least, I can represent the family with composure

With a proud shake of his head to toss his deep purple dreadlocks off his shoulder, he squared his shoulders, determined to send off his mentor and old family friend with dignity and honor.

Icewalker
2008-01-25, 04:39 PM
As the last of the people leave, the six of you are left. This seems odd, as only those who were left something were invited to the reading of his will, which Gebin seems to be folding up and putting away. You only have a moment to puzzle over this however before he addresses you.

"Aernac left something pretty special for the six of you." He said, reaching into his pocket to reveal an envelope. "This is for you: Maqarl, Virhan, XVII, Kel Narokan, Gilgimesh, and Daggoo Coolridge." He offers the letter forwards.

((Just as a note, I suppose XVII, when said, is pronounced as Seventeen. Not spoken letters.))

Valairn
2008-01-25, 07:01 PM
Kel

Being close to the front, Kel took the letter and opened it, and began to read it outloud.

Stabby
2008-01-25, 08:48 PM
Daggoo took a step forward as his name was mentioned, a puzzled look on his face as he eyed the others named. He had encountered each of the others named before, though most only in passing in the hallways of Aernac's home.

What could he have left for the six of us? What do we have in common?

Icewalker
2008-01-25, 10:23 PM
The envelope reads as follows. You can recognize it as Aernac's handwriting.

Although it seems Iíve left you naught,
To my students I leave a riddle fraught:
With what I will leave you to decide.
And now I leave you this as a guide.


Kel opens the envelope with a gloved finger, and unfolds the note inside. It is several more lines of similar prose.


An old Baobab tree, overlooking my lands,
Branches all over, just like spreading hands.
The thrice forked bough will lead you to me,
Travel until the broken pillar you see.
An ancient place of ruins, in the land of the tree
This is where your next corridor shall be.

fendrin
2008-01-25, 10:27 PM
XVII

XVII stands and walks to Gebin. Placing a large, metal, 3-digit hand on the man's shoulder, he says

"Aernac is gone, but we are still here. For now. Live, before you die."

No sense in him just following his brother into death.

He turns to Kel and listens.

((Ouch, XVII's low wis and cha means he sometimes says things that are just a bit off from what he means...
Oh, and I'd guess that more knowledgeable people call him "Seventeen", while those who don't understand roman numerals will try to pronounce it. He will answer to "Seventeen", "Exvee", "Hey you", and many more things.))

pseudovere
2008-01-25, 11:11 PM
Virhan closed his book, reached out and snatched the letter. He examined it for several seconds then looked up at the sky with a thoughtful expression.

"Baobob tree. Adansonia. So, that just looks like we have to find an Adansonia, possibly at an elevated location, and find a branch that splits into three, and walk in the general direction it points in until we find a pillar in a forest. I would not imagine it would be that hard."

fendrin
2008-01-25, 11:35 PM
XVII

"No doubt Aernac refers to the tree outside his study."

XVII walks around the house to the aforementioned tree, and examines it.

pseudovere
2008-01-25, 11:51 PM
Virhan trotted after XVII with a befuddled look on his face.

"...He had an adansonia outside of his study? That's not possible, I was in there... a lot. If it was, I would have noticed."

[[Ah, low wisdom scores... good times, good times...]]

Voth
2008-01-26, 01:21 AM
Gilgimesh

"The old tree? You may be on to something XVII. Lets have a look" Gilgimesh says as he starts after XVII.

Who are all these people? I recognize XVII as one of dad's projects, but who are all these others?

[[Gilgimesh pronounces XVII as Seventeen just in case someone cares]]

Valairn
2008-01-26, 01:52 AM
Kel

Kel says very little after reading the letter. He ruffles his shoulders a bit, when its snatched out of his hand, but he follows XVII towards the tree without any complaint.

Icewalker
2008-01-26, 02:39 AM
The four of you turn and head around the side of the house towards the old tree, presumably with Maq and Daggoo following shortly behind. Upon close inspection of the tree there is a branch split into three smaller branches, as you had guessed. It appears to be pointing about northeast, towards the forest.

((Gilgimesh: you would know Kel as well, see the PM I sent you on that))

Voth
2008-01-26, 02:54 AM
Gilgimesh

"It appears father has a journey for us to partake in. XVII, Shall we go?" Gilgimesh speaks softly to XVII why looking over his shoulder. Suddenly he spies a familiar face, Kel Narokan. It suddenly dawns on Gilgimesh that it was his voice who had read from the letter. Hurrying over to Kel, Gilgimesh waves him over and begins to discuss this "Treasure Hunt" so to speak.

"Kel! I apologize for my delay in taking notice of your presence. It seems that even in death my father has a task for us, eh?" Gilgimesh chuckles dryly, still reeling for the loss of his father.

Stabby
2008-01-26, 09:52 AM
Daggoo follows the others like a shade, silently evaluating these whom Aernac put him with. XVII was a known quantity as was Gilgamesh, the others he had only observed briefly.

Might I make a suggestion, if we are to be off poking about in an old forest ruins for an indeterminate length of time, can we pause enough to be sure we are properly prepared?

Valairn
2008-01-26, 01:38 PM
Kel

"Don't worry about it, you and I both know that me advertising my presence does not always end well," he laughs a bit at that, but then continues, "Whatever Aernac had in mind for us, I'm not sure, but we should consider solid preparations, before we go gallivanting off into the forest."

Voth
2008-01-26, 01:41 PM
Gilgimesh

"I agree with you and Daggoo completely. We must properly prepare before setting out on this adventure." Gilgimesh says, a glint of excitement in his eyes.

fendrin
2008-01-26, 02:13 PM
XVII

"I am prepared. I will wait here for you to return."

Stabby
2008-01-26, 06:28 PM
Luckily, Aernac always insisted on pupils keeping a traviling pack in a practice room, I'll be right back.

With a nod of his head, he turned and strode back into the building to change and gather his things as quickly as he could.

VENNDOR
2008-01-26, 10:35 PM
Intrigued but unsure, Maq followed the group to the tree. While everyone went around preparing, he picked up his rapier and strung his bow. He had a feeling he would need them.

Icewalker
2008-01-27, 03:30 PM
As you all prepare for the journey in various ways, Daggoo heads inside to grab any supplies that will be necessary to sustain the group.

Having all been caught up with the poem, nobody had noticed the extra PS on the bottom of the letter, now seen by Virhan, as he glances through it again.

PS: To my faithful friend Kel Narokan, I leave the Shrouded Hood. Use it whenever necessary.

Stabby
2008-01-27, 04:32 PM
Daggoo exits the building and joins XVII out by the tree. He is wearing his usual vest and flowing pants, adding a wide brimmed bolero hat atop his bandanaed head. A pack on his back and a light crossbow balanced out the dagger on his belt.

As he stopped under the tree he dropped the sack of foodstuffs he had brought out of the pantry.

Well, I'd offer to share the food, XVII, but you know how that goes. So what do you think Aernac had in mind when he set this trip out for us?

fendrin
2008-01-27, 06:33 PM
XVII

"Aernac's mind was always closed to me. He made me for a purpose, but never told me what that purpose was. I fail to comprehend why he would send us to do something after his death instead of doing it himself."

Yes, this must be my purpose. Perhaps, perhaps not. Surely this must be it? Perhaps I have no purpose. Then why would he make me and train me? Because he could. No, that cannot be. Why not? Because... Indeed.

Valairn
2008-01-27, 08:52 PM
Kel

"Aernac could be leading us on a wild goose chase, but I doubt it, something about the way he addressed us in the letter, makes me assume we aren't going to be wasting our time. In any case, we should head out."

pseudovere
2008-01-27, 10:06 PM
Virhan puzzled over what the "Shrouded Hood" could be for a second, but then decided that he would ask Kel- presumably one of the people in the group- what the hood thingy was after he got back from fetching supplies. He found the spare traveling supplies storage in Aernac's house, and picked out a waterskin, a bedroll, and five days of trail rations.

He then walked to his room, picked up his backpack and walked back out to the tree.

"Um, which one of you is Kel Narokan?""

Valairn
2008-01-27, 10:41 PM
Kel

"That would be me. I might as well say this now, but you all have been entrusted with something of Aernac's which means Aernac has entrusted me with all of you. I served him in life, and I will serve him in death, until there is nothing else that can be done in his name, but for now, you are all under my protection unless you take offense to the idea, in which case I will let you alone."

pseudovere
2008-01-27, 11:50 PM
Virhan blinked, and held out the letter, indicating the post script. "Alright then. Anyway, would you happen to know what the "Shrouded Hood" is, because Aernac apparently left it to you, whatever it is."

Valairn
2008-01-28, 12:01 AM
Kel

"The cape I'm wearing, is the article in question. If you need to know what it does, I'll sum it up by saying, it allows me to go about my business relatively unnoticed."

pseudovere
2008-01-28, 12:52 AM
Huh, that was interesting. Virhan had been so caught up in what he had doing that he had neglected to check the people around him for magic. He would have to do that as soon as possible.

fendrin
2008-01-28, 09:39 AM
XVII

"We have found the 'Old Baobab Tree', now we must find 'The thrice forked bough'."

XVII examines the tree to see if any of the branches are forked three times.

Icewalker
2008-01-28, 01:29 PM
Upon close inspection of the tree there is a branch split into three smaller branches, as you had guessed. It appears to be pointing about northeast, towards the forest.

fendrin
2008-01-28, 02:01 PM
XVII

"Here. We go this way." He points to the northeast. "Look for a broken pillar."

XVII begins walking northeast.

Voth
2008-01-28, 04:15 PM
Gilgimesh

Gilgimesh follows silently behind XVII, taking special note of his companions.

Valairn
2008-01-28, 05:06 PM
Kel

Kel stoops a bit, and picks up a small amount of dirt from the ground and prays quietly, while letting the dirt fall slowly through his hand to the ground, before moving along with the rest of the group.

Stabby
2008-01-28, 07:21 PM
"Well, finding the forked branch was easy enough, but I can't think this whole journey will be as easy."

Daggoo spoke his thoughts aloud to no one in particular. His hope was mostly to gauge reactions and learn a little more about his traveling companions.

"Anyone ever remember there being any ruins locally?"

pseudovere
2008-01-28, 09:26 PM
Virhan follows silently at the rear of the group, scribbling notes on what he has observed on the mannerisms of his companions into his book.

Icewalker
2008-01-31, 07:01 PM
None of you are aware of any ruins in the area, although the forest has not been explored in much detail, as it is very thick and often contains dangerous creatures.

Having supplied yourself with whatever camping supplies you deem necessary ((add whatever mundane supplies you want to your list...but don't go crazy with it. You understand)) you begin to trek northeast into the forest. As you proceed deeper through the thickly placed trees, you all hear many animals of the wild. Most of you are unused to these kinds of animals, having spent any time outside on the Savannah, or in some cases, the sea. Despite the extreme wildlife in the forest, on your first day of walking you encounter no particularly large animals, although Kel spots a family of baboons crossing between trees of to your side.

As you approach nightfall, you need a place to camp for the night, unless you plan to continue walking. There are no clearings in the immediate vicinity, although the trees have thinned slightly, and you could probably set up tents in the area.

Voth
2008-01-31, 07:11 PM
Gilgimesh

Noticing the sparsely placed trees, Gilgimesh addresses the others. "Might I suggest that we call it a day and make camp?"

pseudovere
2008-01-31, 08:32 PM
Virhan was thrilled with his surroundings. He had only been in a forest before, and that wasn't very pleasant. And he hadn't read those books on forest flora and fauna, and thus wasn't able to announce the identity of the many plants and animals he saw.

Now, however, he was capable of doing so for a fair number of the plant and animal species, although there was far more that he failed to identify. You know this because he has, without fail, at least once every minute since you walked into the forest, announced his discovery of any form of wildlife that he was familiar with, in addition to speculation about whatever he wasn't, and scribbling it down frantically in his book.

He paused in the middle of one of his expositions as Gilgamesh spoke up. He thought for a moment, and then threw his backpack onto the ground and rasped "That sounds reasonable. I'm getting a bit hoarse."

Stabby
2008-01-31, 09:02 PM
Daggoo

"Sounds like a good idea."

After setting his pack down and rummaging around in it, he looks up and asks rather sheepishly. "Now I packed one, but I have no idea how to put up this tent. Can someone please show me how to do it?

Sadly, being prepared doesnt mean knowing how to use what he brought.

fendrin
2008-01-31, 09:35 PM
XVII

XVII stops and looks around.
"I will keep watch."

He begins a slow, almost random, winding path through the area.

Voth
2008-01-31, 09:42 PM
Gilgimesh


"If your sure XVII, then I bid you all a fair night!" Gilgimesh bows to the group and, after helping Daggoo with his tent, climbs into his bed roll and drifts off into a slumber.

pseudovere
2008-01-31, 10:01 PM
Virhan wanders the area immediately around the campsite taking notes on the surroundings for several minutes before untying his bedroll from the bottom of his backpack. He begins to unrolls it in the center of the clearing where he can see the sky, carefully stores his book, pen and ink in his backpack, and goes to sleep.

Valairn
2008-01-31, 11:38 PM
Kel

Kel makes no move to rest. He simply stares into the forest, every now and then he checks to make sure everyone is resting alright. If anyone was bothering to listen they could hear a quiet song on his lips. After everyone has fallen asleep he then sets his backpack up next to a tree and goes to sleep himself.

Stabby
2008-02-01, 12:33 AM
Daggoo

With a nod to XVII and slightly grumbling about stupid tents, Daggoo falls fast asleep, not before making sure that his pack is securely situated under his head as a pillow.

Icewalker
2008-02-02, 09:03 PM
The party sets up their camp around the trees and sleeps. XVII stays awake patrolling the camp, presumably with some minor activity to hold his attention, as with most Warforged. The tents are roughly in a circle with a few trees in the middle and thickening rows of trunks as you look outward. The supplies and other things that are not personal belongings are in a pile of packs in the middle. The sun goes down, although the only way you can tell is from the slight darkening of the slivers of sky visible through the treetops. There is very little moonlight, leaving the area almost completely dark.

XVII, you can no longer really see anything in the darkness. Several hours have passed now, and it seems like it may be wise to light a torch or some such if you want to keep watching for things.

fendrin
2008-02-02, 09:49 PM
((I always forget that warforged don't have darkvision...))

XVII

As the sun sets, XVII searches through the pile of supplies looking for a torch and the materials needed to light it.

Icewalker
2008-02-02, 10:07 PM
You root through the packs and retrieve a torch and flint and tinder, light it, and stick it into the ground where you can see the whole camp and the circle of trees. Shadows dance among the limbs, leaving cones of darkness spreading out behind the trees. There seems to be little disturbance, although even during the night the forest is alive. Animals wander through or past the campsite. At one point a baboon makes an attempt to get into your supplies, but you wave him off. The night is mostly uneventful.

Dawn breaks. The clearing lightens with slivers of yellow as the sun filters in through the branches. The group awakens in the light, and presumably begins packing up camp to continue again.

pseudovere
2008-02-02, 11:49 PM
Virhan gets up practically at dawn from excitement, eats some of his rations, and then realizes that he is still hungry because he forgot to eat anything last night, and then eats some more.

He then throws all of his belongings and traveling supplies into his backpack, and spends the rest of the time until everyone else is packed to take detailed notes on everything and anything within 50 feet of the clearing.

Stabby
2008-02-04, 06:09 PM
Daggoo

While pulling on his boots, he looks at his unappetizing trail rations.
"See, now on a ship we have a cook. Who can at least make things better tasting then trail rations."

With a shrug, he starts packing up while eating.

Voth
2008-02-04, 07:44 PM
Gilgimesh

Rising from a restful night's sleep, Gilgimesh quickly packs his belongs and waits for the others to rise. While waiting, Gilgimesh looks around and listens to the sounds of the forest in the early morning, while he is snacking on trail rations.

Spot Check [roll0]
Listen Check [roll1]

Valairn
2008-02-05, 10:33 AM
Kel

Kel rises early, but makes little move to prepare himself, until the rest of the group has woken up. When he sees that they are all awake he says, "Since I loathe being dishonest, I'm going to let those of you who don't already know, in on my condition. I am in fact, quite dead."

With that, he pulls his hood back on his head to reveal, a mist of tiny blood vessels, there are no eyes, no bones, no brain, nothing at all that would indicate how it continues to stand upright.

"The rest of my body is the same, a mass of blood vessels, its why I wear this cloak, and cover my skin, most people find me disconcerting to say the least. Regardless, I was created to serve Aernac, and I will continue to do so."

Stabby
2008-02-05, 11:01 AM
Daggoo

Obviously taken aback, but his arcane curiosity aroused, Daggoo leans forward.

"Created? Like... XVII here? Clearly different, but similar?

fendrin
2008-02-05, 01:25 PM
XVII

XVII is completely unfazed, obviously either because he already knew or he just doesn't care.
"Though the process is different, the intention is the same. We are kindred of sorts. Both not quite living, yet not inanimate."

Stabby
2008-02-05, 03:12 PM
Daggoo

"So your cousins... of a sort. Interesting.

After a rather thoughtful pause, Daggoo asks in a quiet voice. "You said created to serve, how exactly?

fendrin
2008-02-05, 03:20 PM
XVII

XVII does not answer Daggoo's question.

pseudovere
2008-02-05, 04:05 PM
Virhan runs across the clearing, trying to finish writing some notes about the fungus he was examining, and, as a result, trips several times in the process.

Kel's appearance completely overshadowed anything else he had seen on this trip. In fact, it was more interesting than anything Virhan had seen in months. He hurriedly flips the book to a blank page, readies his pen, and starts blurting out questions at a breakneck speed:

"That's amazing! What holds them together? Is it magic? If so, how susceptible are you to anti-magic effects? How resilient are they? Do the exposed vessels cause you bruise easily? Can I poke you? How much do you weigh? Do you still require a constant intake of fluid? How does the animating process work? Do you have any memories of your life before animation? Actually, were you even animated, or spontaneously created from scratch? Is positive energy harmful to you? Or have you ever..."

((For the sanity of all of us, including me, I am not writing out the full extent of his questioning, as probably somebody will just tell him to shut up anyway.))

Valairn
2008-02-05, 04:27 PM
Kel

Kel looks at Virhan carefully before responding, "I am not a normal undead, I am not animated by negative energy. As to the manner of my creation, I only know that my spirit was originally associated with my body when it was alive, or so I was told, anything else beyond that, I don't know. And no, I have no memories from my previous life. And by serving, there was no magical compulsion behind it, simply a choice, and I have certainly been well treated regardless, and what's a dead guy with no memory going to do without a guide, Aernac certainly seemed trustworthy so I went with it, and am very glad that I did."

Voth
2008-02-05, 06:48 PM
Gilgimesh

Unphased by Kel's apperence, Gilgimesh speaks up. "Perhaps it would be better if we continued this conversation on the way towards the ruins? I'm sure we are all anxious to find out what Father... I mean Aernac has in store for us."

Stabby
2008-02-05, 07:07 PM
Daggoo

With a grin and a shrug of his shoulders to get his pack settled, Daggoo nods.

"Aye, my Da always said that I should work while I talk. Normally it was mending sails, but walking works too."

fendrin
2008-02-05, 10:15 PM
XVII

"Let us proceed."
XVII begins walking in the same direction that the group had been going the previous night.

pseudovere
2008-02-05, 11:17 PM
Virhan quietly watches Kel as he walks along at the rear of the party. Yet another one of his traveling companions turns out to be like him, in being an oddball in humanoid society, and in Kel's case, not knowing the specifics of his creation.

At least they didn't have to deal with the needs and clumsiness of a natural organic body, and they knew their creator, and apparently had some sense of purpose.

Virhan knew nothing about his creator, or what he was made for, or even if he was made intentionally. For all he knew he was a hideous accident of some uncaring arcanist.

He snaps back to his senses.

What's wrong with me?

He pulls out his pen and starts scribbling away at his book again.

Icewalker
2008-02-05, 11:38 PM
As he walks, Virhan has a slight revelation: This blood vessel being seems familiar. You can remember that they exist, having heard of them once or twice (from Aernac perhaps?), so he isn't an accident, but you don't know anything about them.

[hr]
As you continue into the forest, you stumble upon a more open area quite suddenly. The area is more open, a lot more bare of trees. You can see at the other end of the clearing there appears to be the ruins of some sort of stepped temple.

Next to the temple there appears to be a dark patch, and it takes a moment to realize it as it is completely overgrown, but it appears to be a large hole leading underground, in the form of a tunnel.

There are many blackened indented squares on the ground, with some ruins of stone near them. Seeing the last remaining column makes it evident that there was once a circle of pillars. The last remaining one is completely covered in vines and plants, and is broken off at the top, and the upper portion of it can be seen lying in the leaf covered ground next to it.


((Lastly, everyone make a survival check))

pseudovere
2008-02-05, 11:54 PM
Virhan survival= [roll0]

Voth
2008-02-06, 12:52 AM
Survival Check! [roll0]

Stabby
2008-02-06, 12:53 AM
Daggoo

"Well well, look what we have here. So I think we found those ruins. Whats the next line of the riddle?

Survival [roll0]

fendrin
2008-02-06, 09:35 AM
XVII

"'An ancient place of ruins, in the land of the tree
This is where your next corridor shall be.'

Clearly we are to descend."


Crap! I never fixed XVII's sheet when it got screwed up... well, I know I didn't put any ranks into survival, so for now it's ok. I'll fix it ASAP. Probably tonight.

[roll=survival]1d20-1[/survival]

fendrin
2008-02-06, 09:36 AM
Urg. Me make stupid mistake. Me need to wake up. :smallannoyed:

[roll0]

Valairn
2008-02-06, 09:39 AM
Kel

"Well the tunnel down seems to be the logical next step, but then again Aernac didn't always appreciate a straightforward point of view, we should look around a bit before heading down."

Survival: [roll0]

Stabby
2008-02-06, 12:53 PM
Daggoo

"Agreed, I'll check out the temple. Anyone want to check out the pillars?"

Daggoo heads off to check out the temple.

Search check [roll0]

Voth
2008-02-06, 11:06 PM
Gilgimesh

"Sure!" Gilgimesh replies, excited at the prospect of adventure.

Search Check![roll0]

pseudovere
2008-02-07, 12:38 AM
{{huh, I could have sworn I typed this up several hours ago and sent it in, but it's obviously not showing up... oh well}}

Virhan runs enthusiastically after Daggoo, and begins examining the pillar's construction, what time period it was likely to have been constructed in, the vines growing over it, the state of decay the pillar is in and how long since it must have been abandoned, as well as anything else that he could think of to examine about it.


Knowledge (Architecture): [roll0]
Knowledge (Nature): [roll1]
Knowledge (History): [roll2]
Search: [roll3]

Icewalker
2008-02-07, 02:19 AM
Daggoo
You ascend the extremely steep staircase up onto the temple carefully but quickly, looking forward to exploring it to discover whatever you can. You reach the top of the steps and glance down, and find yourself perhaps 40 feet above the ground with a very steep drop. You grin silently to yourself: it's nothing compared to a crows nest in a swaying ship in bad weather. The top of the temple is quite large, about the area of a large room. The sides are open, but there is a roof precariously supported on aged pillars. At the front and in the middle, the most prominent aspect is the slab of bright white stone. It looks like it has been polished so many times that even age hasn't worn it down again (not to say that it clearly hasn't been cleaned in a long time). The top of the slab however, despite having been washed, is still deeply stained with a dark red substance you realize to be blood. There are small slits in the slab that run down the sides, along the floor and then down the front of the temple which are also stained, even more deeply, with blood.

In the very center of the upper roof of the temple is a staircase most likely leading down into the inner rooms of the temple, however a section of the roof has caved in and into the hole, as have part of the walls in the tunnel beneath. Looking through past the rubble you can tell that much has collapsed inside, and there is no way you can get in or clear the ruins.

In the back of the temple, attached to the wall, resting on a completely rusted but once ornate support there is a very vicious looking knife of simple but beautiful craftmanship. It is curved and of some once bright metal, with a well made black leather handle. The blade is stained with blood as well, although it seems that it was also once well cleaned. Upon extremely close inspection it can be seen that the handle has also been subjected to blood many many times before. It looks more like droplets of blood were on it, rather than being drenched in it.

Hanging beneath the knife from a once golden hook there is an extremely unusual piece of jewelery. It appears to be some kind of circlet or diadem, but with closed top. It is of an extremely light gold mesh, and when you lift it it is far lighter than you expect. Upon close inspection, you can see slight bloodstains on the inside of the cap. It looks like it has suffered some damage as well, several of the thin wires have been wrenched out of place leaving a small gap.

On the sides of the temple there appear to be a couple of baskets, once filled with oddities, they appear to be mostly empty now. There are the extremely dry remains of some unidentifiable herbs, and a few bottles of now solidified liquids of various shades.

A glint catches your eye as you are almost done, and you note that there is a nest on the exposed part of the roof from the cave-in. The birds nest contains several small metal objects. Upon closer inspection, there appears to be a small but finely crafted copper ring, an amulet which is set on a wide ribbon instead of a chain like most, and a collection of small golden wires, likely torn from the circlet by some avaricious bird.

The copper ring and small amulet both seem unusually bright for such old objects. In fact, they appear to be in perfect condition, unlike all else you have seen. The ring is ornate, much in the style of all else in the temple, several intertwining spirals of brilliant copper wire. The amulet is gold, with a symbol in the center that appears to be a drop of blood. It looks slightly moist, and when you touch it you realize that there actually is a slight condensation of blood on the symbol. The ribbon is of a blood-red coloring, but when you look closer you realize that it is also deeply bloodstained in a similar manner to the knife's handle.

Stabby
2008-02-07, 09:15 AM
Daggoo

With a grin at his find, Daggoo quickly hurries to the entrance and calls down to his companions.

"Get up here, I found some things you all might want to see."

Daggoo then turns and with a focused look, begins to go through the arcane motions of casting a spell, all the while murmuring softly to himself.

Knowledge: Arcana 1d20+8
Casting Detect Magic
A spellcraft check for each aura, if there are any. Spellcraft is +8 plus possible bonus for my knowledge check. I'll let you yell me if I need to roll more.

Stabby
2008-02-07, 09:17 AM
Knowledge: Arcana [roll0]

Stabby
2008-02-07, 09:34 PM
Daggoo

Daggoo finishes his casting and concentrates.

Spellcraft 1 [roll0]
Spellcraft 2 [roll1]
Spellcraft 3 [roll2]
Spellcraft 4 [roll3]
Spellcraft 5 [roll4]
Spellcraft 6 [roll5]

pseudovere
2008-02-08, 12:50 AM
Virhan:

Virhan glances up from his examination of the pillars, and considers examining whatever Daggoo found, but decides to finish his examination of the pillars first.


Knowledge (History): [roll0]
Knowledge (Architecture): [roll1]
Knowledge (Nature): [roll2]
Search: [roll3]

{{Edit: Ironic how the skill I'm the worst at I did the best at...}}

Icewalker
2008-02-08, 01:13 AM
((And, sadly, the one which doesn't actually count...:smallsigh: ))

Daggoo, you see a small plethora of magical auras around the place. There is a very slight aura surrounding the entire area, but that isn't unexpected, considering that it is a temple.

The slab with the bloodstains seems to be a focal point for the temple's overall aura. It condenses around the altar, especially within the blood and the ruts that run down the sides of the temple.

The baskets seem to be radiating magic very very faintly. It seems that the herbs and oddities within them are components for various spells unbeknownst to you. The small bottles in the baskets seem to have a sour feel to their magic, it seems they may have once been potions, but with their powers now distorted by time.

Voth
2008-02-09, 03:05 PM
Gilgimesh

((Assuming I am told about the magical auras)) Gilgimesh closely examines the alter, trying to discover what sort of ritual happened here. Knowledge Arcane Check:[roll0]

((If not told)) Gilgimesh turns to Daggoo and asks, "Do you detect anything in here?"

fendrin
2008-02-09, 04:27 PM
XVII

Having been called up to the temple, XVII ascends the ziggurat.

"What have you found?"

Icewalker
2008-02-09, 11:09 PM
((I made Venndor roll a d20 when I saw him today, so that's done with))

Maqarl
Upon entering the clearing something catches your eye. Some unusual markings in the ground. Walking over to them halfway across the clearing you inspect them more closely. They are definitely humanoid tracks, moving into the clearing and straight into the tunnel, without stopping or moving off. From the looks of the tracks you believe that there were three people, and two of them were carrying something very heavy. The third seems like someone who was light on their feet, perhaps an elf or a monk, or something of that sort. The tracks are very fresh, only hours old.

The Pillars ((For any who looked at them))
The pillars that sat in a half-circle around the clearing, open to the temple, are not quite like your normal Corinthian pillars. They were not huge white carved masses, but quite small and thin. Inspecting the close one, you have a hard time identifying what it once looked like, as it was primarily constructed of wood, and has long since mostly rotted. From the pieces you can see, the wood was painted in bright colors, reds and yellows, and there is gold inlay in the pillars as well.

Daggoo, the Ring, and the Amulet
Both the ring and the amulet warranted a longer inspection. Concentrating further, you find that they are both infused with magic in the general layout of a magic item. From the design you can tell that they are not your average run-of-the-mill Ring of Protection or Amulet of Health, but that they were uniquely tailored. However, they also radiate only very slight magic, and are probably somewhat simple in function and power.

The ring has an odd feel to it though, kind of an emptiness. It doesn't feel bad or wrong to you, but merely like there is something in it that was once better and could be again. Shaking it off, you continue to probe it's properties. You can tell little about it, and looking into the school of magic, you can't figure it out. Being so uniquely crafted, it seems to dip into several schools of magic, combining a Abjuration, with a little Illusion and Evocation, although you can tell that they are all part of the same function.

The amulet is odd. When you take it down off of the sunlit roof of the temple to analyze it, the blood droplet motif on the front vanishes, leaving the item a simple golden amulet, although it is still radiating magic lightly. You try to grasp the details of the magic, but they slip away from you. You aren't sure much about it, although you think you caught tinges of the Enchantment school.

Stabby
2008-02-10, 06:51 AM
Daggoo

After explaining to both Gilgimesh and XVII what his arcane senses had revealed about the temple, he holds out both the amulet and the ring.

"I am not sure what these are. They are magical, but not overpoweredly so. Its like the magic is um... elusive is the best word for it. Have either of you ever seen anything like these before?"

Voth
2008-02-10, 01:35 PM
Gilgimesh

"Let me think..." Gilgimesh says as he tries to search his brain for any sort of helpful knowledge for either item.

Knowledge Roll for the Amulet:[roll0]
Knowledge Roll for the Ring:[roll1]

Icewalker
2008-02-10, 02:16 PM
Voth racks his mind for any information about the item, but you realize you have never seen or heard of anything like it, so presumably it was made by some individual in this secluded temple in the forest a long time ago.

fendrin
2008-02-10, 02:31 PM
XVII

XVII silently examines the objects and the temple.


Temple in general:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Amulet:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Ring:
[roll4]
[roll5]

Icewalker
2008-02-10, 02:38 PM
XVII also can determine nothing about the ring or amulet (They are of unique make, none of you know anything about them).

As to the temple itself, you can understand from the description of the aura that it was clearly a center of religious significance, but, being a temple, that isn't surprising. You cannot figure out anything about the religion which used the temple however.

Voth
2008-02-10, 02:48 PM
Gilgimesh

Unable to think of anything related to these two items, Gilgimesh sighs in defeat. "Perhaps we should bring these with us?" He says as he looks around for anything else, perhaps a corridor of some kind.

fendrin
2008-02-10, 03:05 PM
XVII

"I see nothing of significance here. Take what you will."

XVII returns to the tunnel entrance.

Valairn
2008-02-11, 12:20 PM
Kel

"If there is nothing else here, maybe we should check the hole?"

Stabby
2008-02-11, 03:58 PM
Daggoo

"Sounds like a good plan to me." Daggoo pockets the items he's found and heads down the steps of the temple. "Did you find anything interesting about the pillars?"

pseudovere
2008-02-11, 08:13 PM
Virhan looks at Daggoo, then at the pillar, and back at Daggoo. "No, all that I can guess is that they seem to have served a primarily decorative purpose. Could you show me what you found? I want to have a look at it. Don't worry, I can look and walk at the same time."

Stabby
2008-02-11, 10:20 PM
Daggoo

With a smile, Daggoo hands Virhan the small sack he had put the items he had taken from the temple; the old potions, the ring, the amulet, the herbs, and the diadem. "See what you think of them. Oh, I forgot this." From his belt he pulls the sacrifical knife. "Careful, its still sharp."

pseudovere
2008-02-11, 11:31 PM
Virhan accepts the bag and knife. "I want to see if I can see anything you didn't. You can have them back when I'm done." He begins to stare intently each of the items in turn ((detect magic, GO!)). After several seconds of this, he waves a hand in the direction of the cavern. "I can walk and analyze at the same time. Go on ahead."

I'm using knowledge (history) for each one in case I can make a connection to the purpose of these things through historical context. Feel free to regard/disregard them as you see fit:

Dagger:
Spellcraft:[roll0]
Knowledge (Arcana):[roll1]
Knowledge (History):[roll2]

Diadem:
Spellcraft:[roll3]
Knowledge (Arcana):[roll4]
Knowledge (History):[roll5]

Herbs:
Spellcraft:[roll6]
Knowledge (Arcana):[roll7]
Knowledge (History):[roll8]
Knowledge (Nature):[roll9]

Amulet:
Spellcraft:[roll10]
Knowledge (Arcana):[roll11]
Knowledge (History):[roll12]

Ring:
Spellcraft:[roll13]
Knowledge (Arcana):[roll14]
Knowledge (History):[roll15]

Potions:
Spellcraft:[roll16]
Knowledge (Arcana):[roll17]
Knowledge (History):[roll18]

Icewalker
2008-02-14, 09:01 PM
You recognize the knife and headpiece to be non-magical, although they still have a slight aura clinging to them. Seeing the temple, a bloodied knife, altar, and surroundings, you realize what this may be. It was probably a temple of some group from the island of Tezca, to the east of Atrailaus. The style of the temple is similar to theirs, and you see many aspects of their religion. The blood is a pretty strong implication. Lots of sacrifice in the Tezca religion, mostly human sacrifice. The dagger was most likely the High Acolyte's sacrificial dagger. The headpiece most likely belonged to him as well.

You cannot identify the herbs, but they seem to be your common household (well, in a household like Aernac's) magic components. The potions are long since dried and barely even contain any of the magic they once had, although some of them appear to have not been magical originally.

You manage to get nothing more out of the ring and amulet than Daggoo did inspecting them earlier.

Stabby
2008-02-15, 01:00 PM
Daggoo

Daggoo peers down the tunnel, trying to see anything unusual. "So, whos the lucky lad who wants to go first?"

Spot check [roll0]

Icewalker
2008-02-18, 06:27 PM
Daggoo, peering into the tunnel, sees very little. There is some dead plant life which has blown into the tunnel. It appears to grow dark quite quickly, so you can't see very deep into it. It moves downward underground in a ramp.

[hr]
((He hasn't been able to post yet, so I'm posting for him. I'm also setting him a color, as he hasn't talked yet.))

"Hey, I found something."

Says Maqarl, leaning over something in the middle of the clearing. When the others come up to him he continues.

"Tracks. Looks like...three people. Two of them were carrying something heavy. The third was unusually balanced, probably an elf or monk or something."

Voth
2008-02-21, 07:34 PM
Gilgimesh

"Perhaps I can shed some light on this situation." Gilgimesh chuckles as he begins chanting.

Casting Dancing Lights in the shape of floating orbs. There are 4 of them.

Icewalker
2008-02-21, 07:47 PM
The tunnel appears as a simple stone construction. It flattens out a little ways beneath the surface, and continues far out of the light you create.

Voth
2008-02-21, 07:55 PM
Gilgimesh

"Well, shall we?" Gilgimesh motions for the others to go first.

fendrin
2008-02-21, 08:38 PM
XVII

XVII waits for the others to enter, then takes his position anchoring the rear.

pseudovere
2008-02-21, 08:49 PM
Virhan quietly takes his place in the group as they walk down into the tunnel.

Valairn
2008-02-22, 10:25 AM
Kel

Kel takes his position at the front and begins to make his way down.

Stabby
2008-02-22, 06:53 PM
Daggoo

Daggoo falls into step next to Gilgimesh. "Tricky." Daggoo grinned. "What do you think Aernac put down here, he was your da after all?"

Icewalker
2008-02-22, 08:15 PM
The six of you enter the tunnel in the marching order chosen ((going with fendrin's wide area one, seems good)). The dancing lights proceed ahead in front of you, letting you see the tunnel. The tunnel continues as a simple stone path, and the amount of planet detritus begins to decrease as you move away from the entrance.

Icewalker
2008-02-25, 06:59 PM
You all hear a noise in the distance down the tunnel. It is a loud cry, somewhat reminiscent of a rooster, but somehow more intimidating. It is followed by somebody shouting. You can't make out the words, but they are clearly angry. There is a slight rattle of metal.

You can also see a pinprick of light far down ahead.

Valairn
2008-02-26, 10:32 AM
Kel

Kel puts his hand up signaling to stop. He turns around and speaks quietly, "I'm not particularly good at moving quietly, but if any of you are, if you could go ahead and see what's up there it would be best to know if its dangerous."

Stabby
2008-02-28, 12:43 PM
Daggoo

"I have many talents, stealth is not one of them however."

fendrin
2008-02-28, 01:22 PM
XVII

"I am also not trained for stealth."

pseudovere
2008-02-28, 08:14 PM
Virhan gets an enthusiastic expression on his face. "Oh! I've never tried being stealthy before! I could try!"

Stabby
2008-03-01, 06:55 PM
Daggoo

Daggoo slaps Virhan on the back. "Well, there is a first time for everything. Go ahead. We'll follow at a distance."

pseudovere
2008-03-02, 03:46 PM
{{Well, since nobody seems to be stopping me... or doing anything for that matter...}}
Virhan:

"Alright! I'm sure that it can't be that hard!"

Clutching his notebook in to his chest, Virhan makes his way down the hall with almost comically exaggerated tip-toeing steps.

Move Silently=[roll:1d20+2]
Hide=[roll:1d20+2]
Listen=[roll:1d20-1]
Spot=[roll:1d20-1]

Stabby
2008-03-03, 12:45 PM
Daggoo

Daggoo turns to Kel. "Be ready. If he gets attacked, I will place switch the two of you."

Daggoo then turns and focuses on Virhan, ready to magically switch him out if neccessary.

Daggoo readies an action to cast Benign Transposition (sc 27) to switch Virhan with Kel if Virhan is attacked.

pseudovere
2008-03-03, 04:25 PM
Move Silently=[roll0]
Hide=[roll1]
Listen=[roll2]
Spot=[roll3]

Icewalker
2008-03-03, 07:49 PM
((Retcon: the bird sound you hear is more of a shrill squawking. Also, probably a good thing you readied that spell. I think you can pull it off before the first attack hits if they do attack.))

You see six men standing in the tunnel. There is a light table in the center of the corridor. The six are standing around the table. Lastly, you note a small metal cage with an extremely brightly colored bird inside of it. The cage is of rough construction, and quite crude.

The light source is coming from a small marble sitting on a tiny leather pouch in the middle of the table.

The first of the six is a quite imposing human, back to you, with a studded leather vest dyed black. There is a sword strapped to his waist, and he appears to be addressing the rest as a leader. The rest aren't exactly hanging on his every word, but they aren't ignoring him. He is quite tall with long straggly and very unkept dark hair. He looks quite annoyed at something.

The next is a tall elf, lounging against the wall casually, also in black dyed leather armor. He is spinning a dagger on his finger as he listens.

The third you almost missed at first, as he is mostly concealed by the table. A gnome is standing on the other side of the table. You can tell from his body language he is bored. He is in casual green traveling clothes with a small cudgel in a loop in his belt.

There is a notably average-looking human standing almost perfectly straight in front of the table. He also is wearing casual traveling clothes, his brown, and appears to be unarmed but he could be concealing a weapon, you cannot tell.

Lastly, there are two halflings who do actually appear to be ignoring the apparent leader. They are quite similar in look, both brown-haired in dark brown leather. They are joking and talking quietly with each other, one punches the other lightly in the shoulder. One has a rapier at his side, the other appears unarmed.

"Hey, Flin, Ghal, shaddup! I want to get rid of this damn thing!" the imposing man says irritably at the halflings. The brightly colored bird squawks loudly again, and he curses and kicks the cage, clearly only bothering the bird further. "Look, just pass over your shipment, take the damn thing and go." He gestures towards the halflings.

The two of them drag out a box and begin to push it over towards him. Suddenly both of them stop. The elf catches his dagger. "I think I saw something move over there." the unarmed halfling says quietly, gesturing in your direction. "Yeah, I think I saw something move." Says the other. "I'm pretty sure it was just a rat or something." The elf frowns slightly. "Sounded like footsteps to me."

Then you see the second human, the unarmed one facing in your direction. He is silent, still, and looking directly at you.

After a short pause, he says slowly to nobody in particular: "Unahm. Witness."

The second human's head snaps up and around towards you, spotting you quickly.

((Roll initiative now, Virhan. The rest of the party is unaware of what is going on, having heard mumbles at best. You can take a suprise round type action while this occurs. Such as running, yelling, or even a quick attack or some such. One standard or move action.))

pseudovere
2008-03-03, 08:49 PM
Virhan glanced at the faces of the group with a surprised expression. It appeared that sneaking was harder than it looked. He would have to take notes on this in his book... er, but not now. He silently drew on his energy to prepare an attack should things turn for the worse...

Virhan took as step back away from the group. "Um, er no, I am not an Unamaba... er... that or a witness. I guess I'll, er, find another, tunnel... to plot... and stuff." Hmm. This lying thing was harder than it initially sounded too...

Initiative[roll0]
Bluff[roll1]-circumstance penalties
Diplomacy[roll2]-circumstance penalties

Virhan has materialized his aura (free action), taken a five foot step back, readied an attack at anyone scary who steps within his reach, and has proven himself a horrible liar. Leader person was in his reach before the step, but now is just outside of it.

Icewalker
2008-03-03, 10:59 PM
Combat! :smallbiggrin:

((This all directed at Virhan for now, until the bottom, where you may note the rest of you hear stuff.))

The Gnome
The gnome crouches slightly and walks under the table to where he can see you, still 15 to 20 feet away, and clasps his hands together and points them in your direction. Some gray sparks rise from his hand and move forward out in a large cone, surrounding you. They vanish where they touch you, but you feel nothing. There appears to be no effect.

The Unarmed Halfling
The Halfling who at first appeared to be unarmed is suddenly standing atop the small crate he was pushing, brandishing a dagger. He takes a few steps towards you, but stops just short of your aura.

The Human
The human in the common traveling clothes who first spotted you goes from a complete motionless standstill to a sprint in the blink of an eye. He is at you in seconds, and you barely manage to attack him before he reaches you. Your aura manifests slightly in front of his face and moves forward, and it looks like you just broke his nose. He immediately falls to the floor groaning, barely conscious.

The Elf
The Elf also makes a dash for you, despite his fallen comrade, and slashes you lengthwise with his dagger, but his blade is deflected by your aura.

The Leader
The unkept leader of the group pulls out his longsword menacingly, then glances nervously at the other human, who is currently rolling on the floor moaning and bleeding out of his face. He hesitates, standing on the edge of your aura.

The Second Halfling (Because of your new initiative, he can go as well)
The second Halfling grabs something from behind the crate that you hadn't seen: a fiddle. He whips it up and starts playing, fast. It's quite a catchy tune, and he is quite a good player.

((Interestingly, due to your readied action and moved initiative, the Gnome and the Halfling with the dagger get to go again before it is your move.))

The Arcanist
The Gnome announces to the rest "He ain't a goldcoat." You recognize the slang, it is a term for the guards of the human nation in Atrailaus, due to their official garb. He then steps back to the side, attempting to be inconspicuous, as he clearly doesn't wish to approach you. His yell however can be heard by the rest of the party, as can the fiddle.

The Rogue
The Halfling with the dagger bursts into a grin as his brother bursts into song. His feet move with the tune of the music as he makes his way to you in quick darting movements to slash at you as well, stepping over the fallen human so as to get close. His attack is also deflected by your aura.


The rest of you:
Having heard a shout "He's not a goldcoat" and the sudden playing of a fiddle for some strange reason, you can quickly come to the conclusion that something has gone wrong. The thud of a body hitting the ground a moment earlier only furthers this notion.

Rolls

[roll0]
[roll1]

Possibly necessary:
Elf:
[roll2]
[roll3]
Leader:
[roll4]
[roll5]
Human:
[roll6]
[roll7]

pseudovere
2008-03-04, 12:16 AM
Virhan yelps in surprise and jumps back{{5 foot step}}. His sessions with Aernac had long since established that he had an intuitive knack for combat, but that was about summed up his combat experience, at least the part he remembered.

Clutching his book in a practical death grip to his chest, he makes a slashing gesture at the elf with his free hand, for the most part because his dagger looks bigger.

attack [roll0]
damage? [roll1]

Valairn
2008-03-04, 07:07 PM
Kel

Kel looks up and says, "That doesn't sound good...." with that, he pulls his hood off, letting his face show true, and rushes down while drawing his sword. When he arrives he immediately interposes himself between anyone attacking his friend.

Stabby
2008-03-06, 08:50 PM
Daggoo

At the sound of the body hitting the floor came down the tunnel, Daggoo spoke the triggering word to complete his waiting spell.
This should surprise the foe.

Suddenly, Virhan is in the tunnel where Kel just stood, his aura roused.

With a grin at Virhan and a quick, "I like your stealth." Daggoo hastens down the tunnel to join Kel.

VENNDOR
2008-03-07, 12:25 AM
Maq quickly draws an arrow and nocks it to his string while running down the tunnel after Dagoo.

fendrin
2008-03-07, 08:38 PM
XVII

XVII strides forward and raises his right arm in a fist. Rings of dark purple energy, the same color as his faintly glowing eyes, form around his forearm, and soon coalesce into a solid sheath of dark eldritch energy. Without warning, the energy suddenly pulses forward towards the fiddle-player.

[roll0]
[roll1]

curse my dice karma!

Voth
2008-03-07, 08:51 PM
Gilgimesh

Gilgimesh is stunned for a second and then, recovering his wits, runs forward to join the fray. Running into the room, he skids to a halt and surveys the area. He begins a low chant as his hands move in intricate patterns in the air. His eyes rest upon a lone gnome, standing back from the fray. With a single word accompanied by a flick of his wrist, Gilgimesh unleashes fiery doom upon the gnome.

Casting Kelgor's Fiery Bolt- 1d6 Halved at a reflex save. If I fail to over come the gnome's spell resistance, it still takes 1d6 due to the heat.

Damage:[roll0]

pseudovere
2008-03-08, 11:40 AM
Virhan looks around in confusion as the world rematerializes around him. He realizes where he is, and gives a hasty "Um, thanks," to Daggoos comment before running forward with the rest of the party, stopping 30 feet away from the nearest enemy.

Valairn
2008-03-12, 09:55 PM
Kel

Kel looks about as the world rematerializes around him, looking about he draws his weapon, and says, "I do not intend to harm any of you if you do not intend to harm me, otherwise, you will die." He pulls back his hood and rests his "eyes" on his opponents.

Swift Action: Iron Guard's Glare Stance
Move Action: Draw Weapon
Action: Total Defense Action

Icewalker
2008-03-12, 10:34 PM
Maqarl leads the way down the tunnel towards the commotion, to see where his assistance is necessary. As he runs, Daggoo begins to make gestures behind him, and Virhan and Kel rematerialize in one another's location.

Virhan reforms with the others in the back unexpectedly, and his attack is cut short by the surprise. ((I actually need a new action from you. Presumably moving forward 60 ft.))

Needless to say, they aren't expecting this. The fiddle immediately screeches to a halt. The knife wielding halfling stumbles as the music breaks, as well as the fact that his opponent just gained half a foot and a lot of thickness, as well as armor, and lost a head. He begins to slowly walk backwards, appearing unaware of what he is doing himself.

The gnome merely stands in stunned silence, eyes widening further.

The elf recovers fastest, striking out at Kel with his dagger before you have a chance to gain your footing after the teleport. His small blade glances off your armor however.

Gilgimesh and XVII run into the fray. Sliding to a halt before the combat that is breaking out, Gilgimesh chooses a target and thrusts his hand forward as tendrils of fire spiral into being around his fingers, manifesting together into a small burst of fire which strikes at the gnome's side. He clutches it, clearly in pain, but doesn't appear to be significantly wounded.

XVII hurls his eldritch blast at the fiddler halfling, and it simply passes over his head. He doesn't even notice, still staring in stunned silence at the baffling warrior that has replaced their old opponent.

Kel Narokan recovers from his teleport as he makes his statement and settles into an intimidating stance. His words seem to snap the leader facing him down out of his daze, and he scowls and strides forward, slashing towards this new foe. His sword connects with your side. Hard. Red seeps out, staining the shoulder of your robe as his blade bites into your side. You certainly aren't dead or mortally wounded, but you can tell that he almost struck you down in one blow.

Stabby
2008-03-13, 04:42 PM
Daggoo

Daggoo quickly assessed the situation and decided to take a calculated risk. Dashing around XVII, he grabbed into his pouches, glad that he had practiced this so many times he could tell by feel what was where. Finishing his incantation and gestures, he smiled as a wave of slick grease washed over the foe.


Daggoo took a move action to move to a positon to catch the enemy in his spells area.

Where Daggoo ran to
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff22/McStabers/smugglerstunnelee3.jpg

Then he used his standard action to cast "Grease" so as to catch the Leader, the unarmed human, and the unarmed halfling in the effect.
Reflex save: 16

pseudovere
2008-03-13, 07:44 PM
Virhan takes a cautious step forward, and moves his palm in a pushing motion, sending a blast of force in the elf's direction.


1d6+4[/roll]

Voth
2008-03-14, 01:29 AM
Gilgimesh


"And for my next trick," Grins, Gilgimesh as he begins to chant again. With a hand gesture another bolt of fire erupts from his hand, this time aimed at the unarmed halfling's feet.

fendrin
2008-03-14, 08:44 AM
XVII

XVII sends a blast of dark eldritch energy towards the knife weilding (previously unarmed) halfling, then steps up to the elf and peers down at him menacingly.


[roll0] + any bonus from the Grease
[roll1]

Step diagonally forward next to the elf, providing a flanking bonus for Kel.

Valairn
2008-03-18, 06:42 AM
Kel

Kel responds in kind slashing out with his sword with a fury.

Crusader Strike to Hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Healing to Myself if attack is sucessful: [roll2]

Critical Confirm (if threatened): [roll3] ignore, not a crit
Critical extra Damage (if successful): [roll4]

VENNDOR
2008-03-18, 08:33 PM
Maq draws the nocked bow and fires at the Human.

Icewalker
2008-03-18, 11:29 PM
Daggoo
Daggoo darts forward, casting his grease exactly as planned, slicking the floor beneath the three foes.

Maqarl
Maqarl quickly nocks an arrow to his string, firing it straight towards the warrior battling Kel, however in his careful aim to avoid striking his ally the arrow misses completely.

The Arcanist
The gnome quickly darts forward around his comrades, avoiding the grease, and reaches out towards Daggoo, his hand suddenly enveloping in an emanation of sickly gray light which he places straight onto your chest. The sickly glow flows through his hand and into your torso.

Daggoo: response
Suddenly you feel a massive wave of soreness and weakness wash over your muscles. You are very tired, and are having a hard time stopping your legs from shaking. ((fatigued: -2 str, dex. Can't run/charge))

The Panicked Rogue
The halfling, slashing viciously with his dagger moments ago, continues to keep his eyes wide and locked on Kel, slowly backing up, as if unaware of what he is doing. As he keeps backing, he trips over the bird's cage and falls over onto his back with a thud.

Virhan
Virhan steps forward carefully and sends a burst of force towards the elf slashing at his companion. It strikes the elf straight in the face, and he joins his comrade face-down on the slick floor with this time what looks like it may be a dislocated jaw.

The Fallen Initiator
The human psionically punched out by Virhan attempts to rise off the now slick floor. As he rises about halfway to standing however, one of his feet slips out from under him and he lands on his face, which probably hurts. A lot. He's stopped moving now, most likely unconscious.

The Once-Collected Rogue
Despite the dislocated jaw, drop to the floor, and near death condition, the elf rises fast on the slick floor, feet finding grooves and cracks in the stonework, and makes a leap for Virhan. Snarling viciously as blood drips from the bone jutting from the side of his face, he thrusts his dagger straight into Virhan's chest.

Gilgimesh
The fire swirls again around the mage's fingertips, this time sending its burst of fire at the second halfling, striking his left leg and burning him badly.

XVII
XVII sends a blast of glowing energy into the chest of the backing halfling, and as he stumbles backwards over the cage it knocks him back, and he tumbles over the top and rolls to the ground on the other side.

Kel Narokan and the Warrior
Kel promptly takes his recompense for the leader's attack. His great curved blade rends the soldier shoulder to side, and he immediately falters in his previously strong step, grabbing his wound with his arm before rising up to continue his attack. However, Kel's vicious strike renews his own vitality, as his veins knit together again he stands almost as strong as he was before the near-fatal blow. The warrior hisses angrily, barely keeping his balance on the stone, and slashes out again at Kel, this time thrusting straight through the cloud of capillaries you have for a head. It is extremely painful, but not the most debilitating wound.

The Fiddler
The halfling, badly burned, makes a well-coordinated step-leap forwards off the crate towards Gilgimesh, whipping his rapier out of his belt and settling into a fencer's stance.


rolls

Mhit [roll0]
Mdam [roll1]

Gtouch [roll2]

Balance, DC 15
Elf [roll3]
Human [roll4]

Ehit [roll5]
Edamage [roll6]

Gdam [roll7]
Hbalance DC 12+damage [roll8]

Lhit [roll9]
Ldam [roll10]

pseudovere
2008-03-19, 11:33 PM
Virhan screamed in agony. Granted, he knew he should be taking notes on this (he had never been stabbed before), but it HURT! He stumbles back away from the elf (another 5-foot step), and takes another swing at the elf, this time creating a blade of force.

Attack: [roll0]
[roll1]

Stabby
2008-03-21, 07:47 AM
Daggoo

Daggoo lurched back away from the blasted little gnome. Nine Hells! He felt like he had weighed a galleons anchor by himself. Quickly he racked his mind for a spell to remove the foul munchkin.

Wish I had planned for combat, this better work!

With a snarl his fingers flashed in the patterns of the cantrip, as a orb of acid flashed forth at the gnome.

Daggoo took a five foot step back then cast acid splash at the gnome.

Ranged touch attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
If crit [roll2]

Voth
2008-03-21, 01:11 PM
Gilgimesh

Sweat starting to form on his head, Gilgimesh strains to focus on the halfling with the rapier. Raising an eyebrow at him, Gilgimesh gives a lopsided smile. "Shall we dance?" he says right before making an intricate symbol in the air and muttering several foreign words.

Casting Magic Missle on the Halfing Bard dude thing person...tion. :smallsmile: [roll0] Oh he gets his Spell Resistance Thing.

fendrin
2008-03-27, 02:14 PM
XVII

XVII circles around the elf and then sends a blast of energy at him.


5' step to the SE, flanking the elf with Maqarl.
[roll0] DC 15 to avoid an AoO.
[roll1] vs. touch AC, includes flanking bonus
[roll2]

Valairn
2008-03-27, 05:45 PM
Kel

Kel frowns. The pain courses through him, but he pushes through it, he still has other tricks left. He unleashes another blow against the leader.

Stone Bones attack:[roll0]
Stone Bones damage: [roll1]
Crit confirm(if a crit): [roll2]
Crit additional damage (if a crit): [roll3]

If attack is successful grants DR 5/adamantite for 1 round.

Icewalker
2008-03-28, 08:25 PM
Daggoo
The orb of acid bursts forth but wavers and slides sideways, trailing through the air past the gnome to splatter on the floor behind him.

Maqarl
Nimbly moving 10 ft to the side, Maqarl presses himself against the wall and sends an arrow, whistling just past Daggoo and the Gnome and to the prone halfling, and driving into the gap between shoulder and neck. The halfling's head slumps down against the stone floor, as blood trickles out around his head.

The Gnome
Grinning as the acid moves past him, the Gnome speaks words of power and gestures, but nothing appears to happen. Then you all hear a wild hissing growl of some savage beast coming from behind you down in the tunnel.

Virhan and the Elf
Manifesting your energy once again into a weapon of force, you slash at the elf. A cut appears in the leather on his shoulder, but the blow was glancing at best. However, as blood continues to drip from his protruding jaw, his knees buckle and he falls to the ground unconscious before you.

Gilgimesh
From the intricate symbol springs a silvery spike of force, which spirals rapidly through the air straight into the chest of the second halfling. A flower of blood stains the front of his tunic, and the rapier slips from his hand to the ground as he slumps over next to his brother.

Kel Narokan and the Fighter
Bringing his intimidating blade to bear, Kel slashes down through the armor of the human, once again leaving a massive cut from shoulder to waist. This time however, he stumbles slightly at the blow, and crumples limply in front of you.

XVII
It seems that the gnome never gets to see his plan come to fruition, whatever it was. A bolt of rippling purple energy slams him between the eyes and he falls back, knocking his head against the cage, making the bird squawk loudly.


The Scene
Your foes have all been struck down. Blood pools in a few places where painful wounds have been dealt out, but you are all still standing. Not bad, for your first skirmish as a group. They appeared to have carried this bird down into the tunnel, as well as the crate off to the side, which is marked with a black stamp on the side: a two-headed axe with a circle around it. Upon closer inspection, the top of the circle reveals it to be a snake, resting its head on its tail above the axe.

You also notice that each of your opponents has a small glistening black ring on his finger.

The table they were gathered around looks like it has been here for a long time. However it also clearly does not fit with the surroundings: perhaps they brought it here and use this place regularly. It is a simple and cheap-looking wooden table, and laid out over it are some papers, and a tiny leather pouch with a little marble on it. You can't really figure anything out about what the marble looks like, because it is blindingly bright to look at, and appears to have been the source of light for their group.

rolls

Mhit: [roll0]
Mdam: [roll1]

GB: [roll2]


.

Valairn
2008-04-01, 05:36 PM
Kel

Kel lets out a roar. His "eyes" bear on the gnome, and he makes it perfectly evident of his intent. He moves towards the gnome at a run, and brings his weapon down in a crash.

Crusader Strike Attack(hooray instant refreshing moves): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit Confirm: [roll2]
Crit Additional Damage: [roll3]
Healing to Self, if Attack Successful: [roll4]

Lol rolling at 1 :-D

Voth
2008-04-01, 06:15 PM
Gilgimesh

Relaxing a bit as the last of the enemies drop. Gilgimesh lowers his hands. Exhausted from his constant use of magic, Gilgimesh is sweating a bit. Noticing the papers on the table, Gilgimesh slowly walks over. "What have we here?" He says in a weary tone.

Icewalker
2008-04-01, 06:24 PM
The papers amount to a few different things. The papers on top, which appear to have been in use, are some kind of trade schedule. You can't understand the information in them, as they is clearly coded to some extent. Buried underneath these are maps, most of which are marked in a manner showing your location, as well as a few others with some arrows haphazardly drawn on.

pseudovere
2008-04-02, 11:07 PM
Virhan tried to examine the paper, but was slightly more concerned with the stab wound in his chest. It appeared that it didn't hurt anything vital, and he would probably be fine in a couple days, but it hurt, and he wasn't used to this sort of thing, and he couldn't help but hope he wouldn't have to. He couldn't help but wish that he had invested in a cure wand rather than a summoning one...

Voth
2008-04-03, 01:57 AM
Gilgimesh

After looking at the papers, Gilgimesh then turned to the glowing marble. He attempted to see if he knew anything about this item.

Knowledge(Arcane):[roll0] Wow... There should be a +8 to that roll but I doubt it matters. So much for the studing

Stabby
2008-04-03, 04:46 AM
Daggoo

Daggoo peers over Gilgimeshs shoulder, squinting into the brightlight.

Knowledge Arcana [roll0]

In an off handed manner, he comments to the room. "Oh, I think that noise was a ruse, that gnome seemed a little desperate in casting it. Like a last ditch effort or something."

Voth
2008-04-03, 08:19 AM
If I can, I want to try and use a spell craft check on what the gnome casted. Spell Craft Check [roll0]

pseudovere
2008-04-03, 09:08 PM
Virhan, noticing the gathering of people around the glowy thing, whimpered a little bit from the wound, and moved up to examine it more closely.
knowledge: arcana[roll0]
spellcraft[roll1]

Valairn
2008-04-04, 07:37 PM
Kel

Kel looks about and waits to see what everyone else is doing.

Icewalker
2008-04-04, 09:00 PM
Virhan, you can recognize, more or less, what the item is. It is custom-made, so you don't understand how it works, but it appears to be a continual daylight, with some unknown method of turning it off. The bag would most likely smother the light as well.

pseudovere
2008-04-06, 11:50 PM
Virhan looked inquisitively at the orb, wound temporarily forgotten. He picks up the orb, feels it a little bit, and mutters a few words. Maybe he could figure out how it worked...
Use Magic Device [roll0]

Icewalker
2008-04-06, 11:55 PM
Inspecting the marble closely, you manage to determine a few things about it, but not how to operate it. It has multiple settings, but you aren't sure how many or what they are. It changes between them with a command word, although it's outward appearance gives no clues as to what it might be.

fendrin
2008-04-07, 01:41 PM
XVII

XVII collects the rings off of the fallen foes.

Stabby
2008-04-07, 10:16 PM
Daggoo

"Da always said check for loose change"

With a shrug, he begins the rather distasteful task of searching the fallen.

Search [roll0]
Also checks to see if any our alive. If so, he points it out to the others

Icewalker
2008-04-08, 09:07 AM
All six of the men lie unconscious, although their wounds look pretty painful in places. As to searching them, other than the rings and larger objects, and the simple gear, you find 24 gp between them. Also, the gnome has a small leather pouch in his pocket, which is tied and closed at the top. It looks similar to the one under the marble. It feels as if there is something small inside of it, probably about the same size as the marble, in fact, although it is pointy in places.

Voth
2008-04-12, 03:16 PM
Gilgimesh

"Hmm..." Gilgimesh searches the room for anything unusual looking for ways out and odd objects.

Search Check:[roll0]

Icewalker
2008-04-12, 06:06 PM
There is little to be found other than the objects already observed. Just a parrot in a cage, an unlabeled but marked small crate, a table of shipping papers and a map, and their assorted personal effects.

Voth
2008-04-12, 06:37 PM
Gilgimesh

Curious, Gilgimesh opens up the crate and peers inside.

Icewalker
2008-04-12, 07:36 PM
As you open the crate, your hand brushes over the seal of the black axe and snake, and it suddenly fades away and is replaced by a new symbol: the golden sun and sword of the human kingdom. The box appears to be full of rations, at least on top.

pseudovere
2008-04-13, 06:53 PM
Virhan grabs the bag with the strange spiky object and looks inside.

Icewalker
2008-04-13, 07:41 PM
Sitting inside the bag is a small black gemstone. It's two ends are pointed, a little less than an inch across the long way and a little less than half an inch sideways. It glimmers internally somehow and you feel slightly drawn to it.