PDA

View Full Version : The Anti-warlock

Benejeseret
2008-01-24, 11:13 PM
Kind of like the pally/blackguard duality, I have always wanted to make an 'anti-warlock' using the Sanctified Template.

At lvl18+2LA your base ray light attack is equal to a lvl20 warlock at 9d6 (ignore blast shape/flavour for a sec). Every round, forever. But you also get a whole whack of other good abilities against Evil as well as the ability to take 18 levels of any other class you want.

So what class would you (or I) want?

Rogue is one clear way to maximize the one ray attack a round of untyped damage but I'd love to get some ideas to build this anti-lock.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-01-24, 11:31 PM
Enlightened Spirit from Complete Mage, perhaps?

Parvum
2008-01-24, 11:33 PM
Hm... is it possible to smite with rays?

Admiral Squish
2008-01-24, 11:38 PM
Kind of like the pally/blackguard duality, I have always wanted to make an 'anti-warlock' using the Sanctified Template.

At lvl18+2LA your base ray light attack is equal to a lvl20 warlock at 9d6 (ignore blast shape/flavour for a sec). Every round, forever. But you also get a whole whack of other good abilities against Evil as well as the ability to take 18 levels of any other class you want.

So what class would you (or I) want?

Rogue is one clear way to maximize the one ray attack a round of untyped damage but I'd love to get some ideas to build this anti-lock.
Charism'as the base score, and there's a least invocation that adds six to Bluff, Intimidate, and Disguise. Give him a level of Ninja for the unarmored AC bonus and the sudden strike, and if you can, make it two for ghost step to get past guards. Then, eldritch spear, and take out your targets like a sniper, and simply walk on out. Also, if you can, be a changeling. If you get cornered your sneak attack and ghost step should help get you out of it, but if that doesn't work, there's always Flee the Scene.

Other than that, there's always some fun things, like change the attack into Ray of Light with a higher cap on damage, or simply say your beams are made of gold, scintillating energy or something, for the goodness feel.

Draz74
2008-01-25, 01:11 AM
Hm... is it possible to smite with rays?

I don't know about this version of Smite specifically, but most versions of Smite specify melee attacks.

Chronicled
2008-01-25, 01:15 AM
Awww, when I saw this I thought it was for a class that would be able to be obscenely powerful, once/day. Or maybe even once ever. The opposite of a warlock. :smallsigh:

Dhavaer
2008-01-25, 01:40 AM
Awww, when I saw this I thought it was for a class that would be able to be obscenely powerful, once/day. Or maybe even once ever. The opposite of a warlock. :smallsigh:

Shadowcaster.

Icewalker
2008-01-25, 02:11 AM
Shadowcaster.

Basically the purpose of shadowcaster is to supply spells and abilities for homebrew items. I'm giving a template I'm working on fundamentals/day. :smallbiggrin:

Hmm...sounds like an interesting homebrew opportunity.

...Incandescent Curate. Shoots beams of light. :smalltongue:

Dhavaer
2008-01-25, 03:55 AM
Basically the purpose of shadowcaster is to supply spells and abilities for homebrew items.

As I see it, the purpose of the Shadowcaster is to murderize the BBEG. The purpose of the rest of the party is to make sure the Shadowcaster gets to the BBEG without using anything more powerful than a fundamental, so they can go empowered maximised reached stilled umbral touch and quickened flicker, at which point they just have to wait until the BBEG succumbs to the 30+1/2x5d6 damage/round.

Shadowcasters are the anti-warlock: they're a spellcaster set permanently to 'nova'.

Attilargh
2008-01-25, 05:08 AM
I'd just take Warlock, and reflavor the hell out of it. In pink. And, if at all possible, with Frills of Justice (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FrillsOfJustice), too.

Which reminds me, I need to homebrew the Transformation Sequence incantation. Just need to figure out what it would do, is all. It is obviously a once/day ability with a side effect of Daze (Will negates), but I have no idea what the actual effect of transformation would be.

shaggz076
2008-01-25, 05:56 AM
so they can go empowered maximised reached stilled umbral touch and quickened flicker,

This sounds like something to be used in the bedroom. lol

So what are you looking for? A once per round effect that hits for massive damage? What about making a magic item with a 1/round effect with a Scorching ray energy, sonic substituted, sonic admixtured, maximized, empowered and twinned? Since you are looking at a total of 20levels you should have enough cashflow and magic power to make such a thing and although it would be more like making 6 touch attacks per round instead of one single blast, with the feats to lower the higher level requirement of meta-feats you would gain the ability to deal 432 damage a round divided into 6 rays each doing 72 points damage.

LibraryOgre
2008-01-25, 10:45 AM
I'd just take Warlock, and reflavor the hell out of it.

That's what I would do, as well. I've already done something similar with a fey version of the warlock (Dark Discorporation, called just Discorporation, causes you to explode into a field of butterflies! ...or possibly sparrows), but it's not hard to do with any power alignment.

Telonius
2008-01-25, 10:51 AM
That's what I would do, as well. I've already done something similar with a fey version of the warlock (Dark Discorporation, called just Discorporation, causes you to explode into a field of butterflies! ...or possibly sparrows), but it's not hard to do with any power alignment.

Take an awakened Bear and have it cast from its tummy! :smallbiggrin:

(This post has been brought to you by the Society for 80s Pop Culture, and by viewers like you.)

Admiral Squish
2008-01-25, 12:13 PM
I'd just take Warlock, and reflavor the hell out of it. In pink. And, if at all possible, with Frills of Justice (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FrillsOfJustice), too.

Which reminds me, I need to homebrew the Transformation Sequence incantation. Just need to figure out what it would do, is all. It is obviously a once/day ability with a side effect of Daze (Will negates), but I have no idea what the actual effect of transformation would be.

Make it work like wild shape, but have it give bonuses more like rage, albeit twiddled about for the true Mahou Shojo feel. I'm thinking dex and AC get bonuses, with a penalty to con, and some handy skill bonuses on-hand.

Great. No I have to go homebrew a magical girl base class.

Roderick_BR
2008-01-25, 12:14 PM
I don't know about this version of Smite specifically, but most versions of Smite specify melee attacks.
Yeah, smite is only melee, whoever, a paladin elf can get ranged smite, or, you can get the Ranged Smite feat from complete divine/champion or book of exalted deeds, I don't remember which one. And since rays are ranged weapon-like attacks, you can use ranged smites with it.

Xuincherguixe
2008-01-25, 10:22 PM
It is mentioned that Warlocks can also get their powers from fae.

Personally, I love the idea of having really embarrassing powers. Eldritch Blasts that are pink. Little insect wings appearing when flying. Glitter everywhere. Generally it works better with male characters, but it might work with a female one who's trying to be dark but fails utterly because of how everything is so disgustingly pink.

Scalenex
2008-01-25, 10:25 PM
I'm not a giant fan of blackguards and the like. Not everything in D&D needs a mirror opposite in alignment with similar powers.

EDIT: Old stories of Fae are not that cutesy. They were called the Fair Folk not because of how they looked or acted but because if you called them anything bad they'd hurt you. Disney (and children's book writers) neutered evil faeries when they took the violence out of old fairy tales. In the original Cinderella, her wicked sisters actually tried chopping off parts of their feet to get the glass slipper to fit.

The_Snark
2008-01-25, 10:46 PM
EDIT: Old stories of Fae are not that cutesy. They were called the Fair Folk not because of how they looked or acted but because if you called them anything bad they'd hurt you. Disney (and children's book writers) neutered evil faeries when they took the violence out of old fairy tales. In the original Cinderella, her wicked sisters actually tried chopping off parts of their feet to get the glass slipper to fit.

Yep.

Even Disney fairies occasionally retain some of the nastiness. Peter Pan's Tinkerbell, for example, tried to have Wendy killed shortly after they met. This was glossed over remarkably well, but it happened.

I like fey warlocks, myself. Eldritch blasts aren't very fey-like, but invocations like Charm, Walk Unseen, Word of Changing, that one that lets you steal someone's face, and especially one from Cityscape, which works like Suggestion, except that the target afterward loses any memory of being compelled to do whatever they did, and believes they decided to do it.

As for the original question- yes, I'd simply reflavor the warlock, rather than try to use the Sanctified template. A simple Warlock with reflavored invocations works fine: Blinding Blast blinds the target with light, Fell Flight creates shimmering angelic wings, Wall of Perilous Flame creates holy fires... there are only a few that can't be reflavored, such as The Dead Walk and Path of Shadow.

Levels of Enlightened Soul can work too, if you really want to use it.

Fishy
2008-01-25, 11:54 PM
there are only a few that can't be reflavored, such as The Dead Walk and Path of Shadow.

You could totally justify necromancy as bringing back a wrongfully murdered man for long enough to exact his own justice: That's for your more spooky and hardcore angels, but it could be done.

For your magical girl transformation sequence needs, I recommend Skin of the Construct from Complete Psionics. You get to spend a full round action turning silver and growing wings.