PDA

View Full Version : Creating a custom magic hat - I need help

Adumbration
2008-01-25, 03:12 PM
I'm trying to create a custom magic hat, as the title says. A basque style Beret of Holding and Vestments. It's for my Master of Many Forms. My DM has already approved the idea - he agrees that it is way more convenient than roleplaying nudity and looking for clothes each time my character turns into a humanoid.

The problem is, I'm a bit fuzzy on the rules of creating custom magic items. Couldn't find anything on d20.org. How much would it cost? I remember something on the lines of 1.5 times the base cost, but I'm not really sure. The price cap is 22 000.

Ganurath
2008-01-25, 03:17 PM
...What does it do?

Adumbration
2008-01-25, 03:27 PM
A combination of Vest of Many Vestments (A vest that provides different clothes, base cost 750, from Races of Eberron or Destiny, if I remember correct) and a bag of holding. I'll add a wildling clasp to it so that my Dire Bear form can wear it too :smallwink: .

EDIT: My character does not create it, he "buys" it, aka I create it.

Ganurath
2008-01-25, 03:29 PM
Add the three item costs together, then increase the cost by 20% for it taking a single body slot.

Crimson Avenger
2008-01-25, 03:51 PM
DMG says that to add abilities to an existing item, you take the cost of the ability that you want to add, and multiply it by 1.5, and add it to the base item. So if both items cost 2,000, you would take 2000 x 1.5 = 3000 + the original 2000 for a total of 5000 gp. Rinse and Repeat.

The only thing that gets hairy is if you're trying to add abilities that don't have affinity for the head slot, (items that don't have affinity are double priced) and I think you're bag of holding definiety fits that category. It's probably cheaper in the long run to use the Clasp of Wylding on the bag of holding than trying add it to another item. That way, if you find a bigger bag of holding you can move the clasp over instead of having to try to craft a new item.

sikyon
2008-01-25, 04:46 PM
The only thing that gets hairy is if you're trying to add abilities that don't have affinity for the head slot, (items that don't have affinity are double priced) and I think you're bag of holding definiety fits that category.

Nope. You only double the cost if the item doesn't take up any body slot, which the bag of holding does not. Therefore, this price is already factored into the bag of holding. In fact, because the bag of holding now actually requires a body slot, you could argue that the cost for it should be halved (assuming that this version would only work if it was... on your head...)

DementedFellow
2008-01-25, 05:09 PM
Stupid question here, but why not wear something that will fit in most if not all forms and use simply a hat of disguise? And wear a ring of warmth to combat any cold feeling.

Karma Guard
2008-01-26, 02:34 AM
The only thing that gets hairy is if you're trying to add abilities that don't have affinity for the head slot, (items that don't have affinity are double priced) and I think you're bag of holding definiety fits that category. .

How does affinity work? Because pulling stuff out of one's hat is a classic trope. (I've never messed with making my own items before, can you tell?)

Yami
2008-01-26, 03:39 AM
The idea is that any non though/sight based effects upon your head aren't the norm. Likewise, boots are the relm of travel based magiks. Boots of int be silly, so they cost more.

The thing is that with crafting magic items it is pretty much up to the GM to decide if something works or not. Some may consider that the bag-o-holding base cost is the same, another might argue it should be more for being in an out of affinity slot, and yet a third might argue that since the bag now takes up a slot it should be cheaper, and feels it is not abnormally placed to boot.

You reminder me of the artificer I keep wanting to try.

Anyways, my guess would be...

Multiple Similar Abilities

For items with multiple similar abilities that don’t take up space on a character’s body use the following formula: Calculate the price of the single most costly ability, then add 75% of the value of the next most costly ability, plus one-half the value of any other abilities.

Multiple Different Abilities

Abilities such as an attack roll bonus or saving throw bonus and a spell-like function are not similar, and their values are simply added together to determine the cost. For items that do take up a space on a character’s body each additional power not only has no discount but instead has a 50% increase in price.

We have two differet abilities, so using the second ruling we add them together. But since only one of the two items mixed takes up a slot, we do not increase the cost of the second ability.

i.e. 3250 for your hat. I'd say go for broke and throw on the hat o' disguise for the extra 1800. Then you could have the hat o' holding look like an innocent bowtie on your big mean grizzly. Or it could be a top hat, if you prefer the 'gentleman render' style druids.