PDA

View Full Version : Phantasmal Killer PrC [PEACH]

Rowanomicon
2008-01-25, 03:44 PM
First of all I´m taking name and fluff suggestions.

HD 8

Requirements
1. Ability to cast Phantasmal Killer
2 BAB +5

Class Skills
Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Disguise, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge, Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Profession, Ride, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight Of Hand, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope
6+Int per level

{table=head]Level | B.A.B. | Fort | Ref | Will | Special
1 | +0 | +2 | +2 | +2 | Phantasmal Form
2 | +1 | +3 | +3 | +3 | +1 arcane caster level
3 | +2 | +3 | +3 | +3 | Shaken
4 | +3 | +4 | +4 | +4 | +1 arcane caster level
5 | +3 | +4 | +4 | +4 | Frighten
6 | +4 | +5 | +5 | +5 | +1 arcane caster level
7 | +5 | +5 | +5 | +5 | Panic
8 | +6 | +6 | +6 | +6 | +1 arcane caster level
9 | +6 | +6 | +6 | +6 | Fear Immunity Penetration
10 | +7 | +7 | +7 | +7 | +1 arcane caster level
[/table]

Phantasmal Form
The character gains the Spell-Like abiliety Phantasmal Form that is useable a number of times per day equal to their Class Level and last for a number of rounds equal to their Class Level.
The ability works as the spell Phantasmal Killer, but the character is instead surrounded my a monsterous translucent image.When the Character enters Phantasmal Form everyone within sight can make a Will save to disbelieve the Phantasmal form. People may also make a will save if they are seeing that specific invocation of Phantasmal form for the first time. Each person is allowed only one attempt to make the Will save for each invocation of Phantasmal Form and each invocation of Phantasmal Form requires it's own save.
The effective caster level of Phantasmal form is the character's arcane caster level plus their Class Level (in this class) so a Wiz7, Ftr1, (this class)5 would have a n effective caster level (for the Phantasmal Form ability) of 14.
When in Phantasmal Form the character gains:
1. + half theri Class Level Enhancement bonus to Str, Dex, and Con
2. + their Class Level to Intimidate, but not against foes who successfully disbelieved that invocation of Phantasmal Form
3. + half their Class Level Enhancement bonus to all their melee attacks, but not against foes who successfully disbelieved that invocation of Phantasmal Form
4. Is treated as armed when making touch attacks, but not against opponent who disbelieved that invocation of Phantasmal Form
5. All melee (including touch) attacks cause the vicitm to make a Fort save or die from fear, if them make the Fort save then they take normal damage from that melee attack (if any) + Xd6 where X is the character´s Class level, this cannot be done against opponents who sucessfully disbelieved that invocation of Phantasmal Form
6. * half thier Class Level Enhancement bonus to AC, but not against opponent who successfully disbelieved that invocation of Phantasmal Form
All DCs are Cha based.

Shaken, Frighten, Panic
At the indicated levels opponents who fail to disbelieve an invocation of the character´s Phantasmal Form become shaken, frightened, or panicked when within 30 feet of the character. At level 5 opponents within 30 feet are frightened and opponents from 35-60 feet are shaken. At level 7 opponents with 30 feet are are panicked, opponents from 35-60 feet are frightened, and opponents from 65-90 feet are shaken.
Opponent can make a Will save at the beginning of each of their turns to shake this effect off. The DC is the same as the DC was to disbelieve that invocation of Phantasmal Form. Characters who shake it off sucessfully do not suffer from this effect (but still believe in the Phantasmal Form) until the beginning of their next turn when they must make another Will save or fall victim to this fear again.

Fear Immunity Penetration
Opponent with Fear Immunity are still subjected to the fear effects of this class, but get a +2 Morale bonus against them.

OK that needs some serious cleaning up, I´ll do it later. I tried to use the word "character" always and only in reference to the member of this class.

More class features and more coming soon, I just want to get this posted up for now. I´m also taking suggestions as to what other class abilities to give this, extention or reduction of the class skills list, reducing or increasing HD, skill points, saves, caster level progression, or BAB, any suggestions really. Let me have ´em.

Rowanomicon
2008-01-26, 07:04 PM
Someone please say something...

I{m thinking of making Panic (and maybe Frighten) later in the class considering Panic pretty much a Save or Lose.

Parvum
2008-01-26, 07:25 PM
When you enter Phantasmal Form, save or die. When attacked by Phantasmal Form, save or die.

Hm...

Also, the class in itself is a bit odd. You have a BAB requirement and arcane progression, but Arcane casters usually aren't outstanding in terms of BAB, meaning that a character who would take this likely has a few levels in a combat class. Keep that in mind and adjust the abilities as such. Have the phantasmal form only be able to scare-kill individuals once, and as an actual attack (basically having the target think their worst horror is not only there, but doing their worst horror to them). Give it more miscellaneous abilities as well (perhaps the ability to nullify fear immunity with a special attack at some level, since this thing is useless against, say, a paladin).

If you don't want a caster/fighter in here, severely lower the BAB requirement or eliminate it alltogether. As is, it should be lowered anyways, but that's just my opinion.

Rowanomicon
2008-01-26, 07:34 PM
The easiest way to get into this class (using only core) is Wizard 7 and 1 level in any class with full BAB.

Wait, when the character enters Phantasmal Form they don't need to save or die...

Good idea with the fear-immunity nulling. I'll whip something like that up.
I do agree it needs more variety of abilities.

EDIT: I edited the Phantasmal Form ability and cleaned it up a litte.
I also added Fear Immunity Penetration. Not sure if it should allow a Will save...

Parvum
2008-01-26, 08:06 PM
The fear immunity should allow for a small bonus- they're still brave, after all.

Though this may not be your intent, the phrase "The ability works as the spell Phantasmal Killer" indicates a save /die effect. Just needs some rewording.

(Potentially) Killing someone whenever you attack just seems a bit much to me, so I still beleive it should be a seperate attack which allows a second disbeleive save if you survive. If this is included, you could probably get rid of the Will save when you enter the form (there are enough shapeshifting spells and classes for it to be reasonable that the caster can change shape).

How about a later ability that allows you to keep your melee attack bonus (and maybe half your 'scare attack' damage if you decide use the special 'scare attack' in the previous paragraph) against nonbeleivers? Shaken Confidence?

And, as another special attack, redo whatever fear effect they have at that level (standard action) against all beleivers? So, at 5th level, they could force a save to become frightened if you're within 30 feet, shaken within 60. These are just to fill empty spaces.

Rowanomicon
2008-01-26, 08:23 PM
It works like Phantasmal Killer in that when is first appears opponent get a chance to disbelieve it (will save) and when it touches them they make a Fort save and die if it fails and take damage if it succeeds.

Hmm, perhaps all melee attacks forcing a save or die when in Phantasmal form is a bit much.
Yeah I think I'll let Fear Immune character have a bonus on saves again Phantasmal Form after their Fear Immunbity is taken away. What do you think would be apropriate +2, 4, 5?

Phantasmal Form is already limited to a certain duration and number of invocations a day so I'm not sure how I should limit the death attack.
Number of time per incatation?
Max 1 a round?
Max 1 per opponent per invocation?

As it stands the character get a + Class level Enhancement bonus to all their physical stats when in Phantasmal Form and that boosts their HP, Fort, Ref, Attack, Damage, AC, and some skills even against disbelieving opponents.

I do like the idea of a "Shake Confidence" ability...
As it is the character can force another save to disbelieve by using another invocation of Phantasmal Form, but that's pretty costly.