PDA

View Full Version : Save or Suck! (Monk abilities)

Bandededed
2008-01-25, 08:39 PM
I've been slowly redoing the monk class features, hopefully to render the monk more use worthy.

I came up with three different abilities, each targeting a different save, and designed to make the monk more of a battlefield control-type.

As part of this, I did away with stunning fist as a feat completely, and instead replaced it with a nice ability that does the same thing. Why, you ask? It makes far more sense in terms of the usage costs, since I tried to base everything off of it. Instead, it costs 1 point from the monk's ki pool (which is class level + wis mod).

After those three abilities, I came up with three more, tier 2, and some power-ups, both of which are more expensive.

Edit: Usually, you can only use one strike per round, and one power-up per strike.

So, without further ado, here are the abilities:
Tier One:
Become usable around levels 2 - 5
All tier one saves are 10 + 1/2 monk level + wis mod.

Stunning fist: in PHB
Cost: 1 ki point

Nerve strike: (save = reflex : precision damage). Attack deals an extra 2d6 damage, and, in addition, subject can only take 1 standard or move action during their next turn.

Disorienting strike: (save = will). Subject is confused for 1 round
Tier Two:
Become usable around levels 12-15
All tier two saves are 5 + 1/2 monk level + wis mod

Paralyzing touch: (Save = fort) Subject is paralyzed
Cost: 3 ki points

Critical blow: (save = reflex : precision damage). Attack does 2d6 extra damage, and, in addition, all damage is multiplied by 2. If a Critiacal hit is confirmed while using this strike, the damage multiplier is 1 higher than the multiplier for the weapon used.

Thought blocker: (save = will). Subject is affected as if by dominate monster. Caster level for the effect is monk level.
Power-ups:
Two pointer's around levels 7-9, Four pointer's around levels 17-19
Extend duration: Makes strike last for 1 round / level, instead of 1 round
Cost: 2 ki points

Destroy resistance: If subject successfully saves against the strike, that subject recieves a -2 penalty on all other saves against that same strike for one minute. Multiple instances of this power-up are cumulative, but durations are tracked seperatly.
Cost: 2 ki points

Multiply attack: You can use two different strikes together, or use two different strikes (or the same strike) with two seperate attacks. You must pay the cost of both strikes in addition to the cost of Multiply attack.
Cost: 4 ki points

Double Power: You may use any two other power-ups on one strike. You must pay the cost of these two power-ups in addition to the cost of Double power and the strike costs.
Cost: 4 ki points

I'm looking mostly for comments on balance, and whether these changes would affect your take on the monks power level in comparison to other classes.

Anyone who catches wording errors, please let me know!

Bandededed
2008-01-26, 10:57 AM
Bump, bump, one bump for fun

Zenos
2008-01-26, 12:12 PM
How long does paralyzation last?

Parvum
2008-01-26, 03:56 PM
For powerthis is actually rather weak when compared to Pressure Point Strike, a monk only feat. It's basically the same, except no extra uses and more effects.

You can remove several status effects, inflict several several status effects (example: blind for 1d4 rounds, same DC as your modifications), lower/increase spell resistance, delay/inflict poison, Dispel Magic, and even prevent the target from casting spells using spell-like abilities (1d4 rounds, 5 stunning fist uses).

Bandededed
2008-01-26, 05:25 PM
Where is pressure point strike?

And all abilities last for 1 round, unless you use the extend power-up.

Parvum
2008-01-26, 06:35 PM
Regrettably, it appears to be in a miscellaneous Dragon magazine (336). I, personally, found it using Crystal Keep:

http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php

Ceiling009
2008-01-26, 07:21 PM
have you seen Lord Tartarus' Avatar Non-bender classes? there's a few abilities that are a lot like yours...

Bandededed
2008-01-26, 11:25 PM
have you seen Lord Tartarus' Avatar Non-bender classes? there's a few abilities that are a lot like yours...

I haven't actually seen the classes, no, but a week or so ago when I was asking for help with the abilities, someone was nice enough to quote a couple of the abilities to me, and I took what I liked (which I hope no one minds :smallfrown:)

Edit: Wow, I just read that Pressure point strike feat, and it really would make all of these abilities rather useless. However, all of the saves against it are Fortitude saves, which is great if you're fighting wizards, but not so much against fighters. My strikes encompass all three saves, so you can tailor your attack to your enemy.

SurlySeraph
2008-01-27, 02:47 AM
The power ups would probably be better as feats.

Roderick_BR
2008-01-27, 01:34 PM
Not bad. I've been working on some feats these past weeks, and had some similar ideas.
A suggestion: You could make some feats into tactical feats, so you have 3 new moves at the cost of one (as long they are not overpowered). Something I'm also doing is to allow a higher level monk to spend additional ki points (surprisingly enough, I'm using the same "ki points" rules. lol), to increase the effect, like extend the time, or the damage. Of course, this ended looking like Psyonics power points a lot, but it's looking good.