PDA

View Full Version : [Spell] Does this thing have a reset button?

Peregrine
2008-01-26, 09:07 AM
Restore Dweomer
Universal
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One magic item
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell causes a magic item that has been temporarily suppressed by dispel magic or a similar instantaneous effect to begin functioning again. You must succeed on a caster level check against the magic item to restore its function.

Just a random little idea I had. As usual, I'm not sure about the name. (But this is much punchier than the original reinstate magic item.) Pretty sure about the level though: one below dispel magic seems right. Thoughts?

Magnor Criol
2008-01-26, 09:44 AM
Perhaps it should be a CL check versus the caster level of the source of the Dispel (or similar effect).

Other than that, this looks fine to me (and that doesn't look...um, "un-fine" to me, just a thought). I like the idea behind it.

Peregrine
2008-01-26, 09:59 AM
I thought about that, but decided to go with what's written. The dispel magic is over and done with; you're not really opposing its caster. You are, however, trying to jog a magic item into functioning again, and the more powerful it is, the better you have to be to get it going.

Eighth_Seraph
2008-01-26, 10:09 AM
I like it: simple, believable, functional. All the signs of good homebrew.

rickvoid
2008-01-26, 01:05 PM
Somatic Component: Shake item.
Verbal Component: Work dammit, work!!!

Zenos
2008-01-26, 01:13 PM

Good one. Wonder what material component it would have if it had material components? Maybe some kind of restarter/jumper cable stuff?

hylian chozo
2008-01-26, 01:15 PM
Make an intimidate check.

jindra34
2008-01-26, 05:54 PM
Good one. Wonder what material component it would have if it had material components? Maybe some kind of restarter/jumper cable stuff?

A magical Defibrilator.

Peregrine
2008-01-27, 07:00 PM

:smallbiggrin:

Wonder what material component it would have if it had material components? Maybe some kind of restarter/jumper cable stuff?

Three small blocks of stone carved with the mystical runes: "Ctrl", "Alt", "Del".

Make an intimidate check.

This has given me an idea... Excuse me while I go make another thread for it. :smallsmile: Edit: And done (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70660).

Stycotl
2008-01-28, 12:43 AM
I thought about that, but decided to go with what's written. The dispel magic is over and done with; you're not really opposing its caster. You are, however, trying to jog a magic item into functioning again, and the more powerful it is, the better you have to be to get it going.

good point. nice spell. i think a bard should *no questions asked* have access to this spell, maybe even at a lower level....

DracoDei
2008-01-28, 03:19 AM
Three small blocks of stone carved with the mystical runes: "Ctrl", "Alt", "Del".

Or, if you want to be more subtle about it, the runes for Enchantment, Transmutation, and Abjuration.

Peregrine
2008-01-28, 07:07 AM
Or, if you want to be more subtle about it, the runes for Enchantment, Transmutation, and Abjuration.

:smallbiggrin: I have the flu, so that literally made me laugh so hard it hurt. :smalltongue: I do believe you have won this thread.