PDA

View Full Version : Shadows Across Etouli [Group 1]



stimpius
2008-01-26, 11:38 AM
DM
The sun is beating down mercilessly upon the baked clay streets of Rhuves. Striding down the main throughfare are people of all descriptions heights and ages. You see boys running about playing tig whilst the girls and doing something with a rope strung between two of them and a third jumping over the top. Market vendors hawk at you as you walk through the city trying to sell you some stuff, most of which looks tacky, but every now and then something glints and catches your eye.

The buildings look to be mostly wood but the bigger buildings which are obviously more expensive are starting to be clad in stone. The only true stone building in the city is more like a marbelite structure, but it has veins of pink and purple running through it. Massive pillars hold up balconies and arches are spread throughout looking like something out of elfish legend. The windows have glass in not hide skins as some of the buildings in the city have and there are even rich purple curtains in most windows. Whatever people may say about the royal family, they will never say they are poor. It is of course the royal residence and where you have been requested. Your meeting is at mid-day after Prince Saech has finished the latest convening of his father’s council.

The massive wrought iron gate is flanked by a pair of elite guards dressed all in black trimmed with crimson. They do not move and allow you access as you walk past and through.

{{There is about a half hour till the meeting, role-play meeting each other, talking to the guards anything. You can do your walk through the city as well if you wish}}

XiaoTie
2008-01-26, 12:06 PM
Ian Dasmith

Ian is a young man of an average built, having a slightly long black hair that is kept in a braided ponytail that goes down a bit under his neck. His eyes have a honey like color, which match with the haft of the longspear he carries with him using the blunt end as a walking stick, even though his legs are perfectly fine. His body is covered by a long brown cloak over a set of leather armor; while a brown leather pants covers his legs. The leather trousers are covered by a reddish skirt that goes down up to his knees.

On his back he carries a brown, visibly heavy and stuffed, backpack. Ian also carries a green backpack that hangs from the right side of his waist.

He walks pass the door greeting the guards on the way in with a simple and polite “Good morning”. By looking at the sun he realizes that he is still early and decides to wait outside for the others that were summoned by Prince Saech. Ian leaves the manor passing through the guards, and waits for the others a few feet of the door.

Zimmia
2008-01-26, 01:39 PM
Katryn

With a billion last things to do, Katryn and her maid are a flurry of activity in her rooms of the residence. Her pack sat open on the table, and she was deftly turning away things her maid felt she 'ought' to take with her. "In all honesty, Mimi, why on earth would I take a formal gown on a mapping expedition?"

"A woman of your station needs to be prepared for everything otherwise it looks poorly on the crown," Mimi answered her with a serious voice. The two women had been close for years, and Katryn was abundantly aware of Mimi's displeasure that she was going on this little trip at all.

"Since this trip is for the crown, I think I'll be forgiven for not wearing silk as I eat dinner in front of a campfire," Katryn replied sarcastically. She finally finished packing - the backpack close to its bursting point - and took a final look at herself in the mirror. Her dark red hair had been brushed out of its coils and intricate braids and hung in one massive braid down her back. The clothing she wore was of the finest quality but it was most certainly designed for outside wear and someone had taken pains to ensure that it didn't "look" new. She hefted the pack and then held out her arms. "Give us a hug Mimi," she said with a smile.

"Surely you're not leaving so soon," Mimi responded as she hugged the princess tenderly.

"No, but if I'm going to fit in with this group, I don't want to be the first time they meet me to be at His Highnesses side. It'll be easier to blend in if I'm just one of the gang."

Mimi shook her head again in that way of hers but opened the door and followed Katryn downstairs and then down into the kitchens. From there it would be easy enough to slip around the side and meet up with the others. "Wish me luck," she said with a twinkle in her eye. Obviously this was the most exciting thing she'd done for a while.

"May the gods look after you," Mimi responded and watched Katryn disappear out the passsageway with a tear in her eye.

Appearing at the back gate, Katryn passed through and then made her way to the main gate, in order to meet her fellow travellers.

dabone
2008-01-26, 02:30 PM
Cumanus stood up and stretched himself. “All right Karsa lets go.”
The tall savage looking human stood at the door waiting for Cumanus to make the last preparations for the journey.

Cumanus was wearing leather pants and shirt. Which covered his chain shirt.
Above that a long black coat, covering his body from the neck to the knees.
A warhammer is strapped on his back, and after the last check of his equipment, a backpack is slung over the other shoulder. He put on his hat and walked to the door, joining his friend.

Why do I have a bad feeling about this? It should be the same as all other jobs. But still something is going to happen, and I don’t think its something good.

The walk towards the residence would take them through the market. Cumanus already prepared himself for the worst. All those people trying to sell them useless stuff, and it wouldn’t be the first time someone try to mislead Karsa, and if Cumanus knew something, it would be to never try to mislead Karsa. People get hurt when that happens.
While together they walk towards the royal residence they discuss their next assignment.

“Karsa, please try to control yourself. You know what happens when you get angry. The last time that happened we had to work in that bar for three days. And you know how I dislike bars.”

Ra, if you hear me, please let my new companions be good honest people. It would be a very hard task when only three of us would remain, and give Karsa the strength to stop any evil we will encounter on our journey. Give Saech the wisdom to rule and Cheddel the power to survive another day. Please give me your blessing and never let me stray from the rightful path.

After some time of silence, Cumanus spoke again. “Karsa keep your eyes open and your hand on your haft, while we on our mission, I really don’t know what we will encounter on our journey. And not only the unknown is something to watch for Karsa, the most dangerous enemies are those that you expect the least. Saech chose our companions himself but still… you never know. Sorry Karsa, you know how I am, always thinking the worst. It will probably be nothing.”

kamikasei
2008-01-26, 02:43 PM
Maredan

Maredan is aware of the stares he draws as he passes thorough the city, though he is known to the guards enough that his strange appearance doesn't cause him much trouble. On his way through the market he exchanges some of the fruits he brought with him from the wayside for farmers' produce, curious to see the quality of the crop reaching the city. The cool juice of the apple is a pleasant contrast to the hot street under his bare feet.

When he reaches the palace he sees he is still early, though one person has arrived before him. He finds what shade he can and stands with his gray cloak cast back to cool off, revealing a well-worn leather jerkin over plain brown cloth tunic and trousers, and an assortment of pouches and gourds hanging about his waist. At his hip hangs a short, curved sword, the only metal visible on him besides the ring on his hand; his hand lightly holds a long, sturdy staff. He stands, face turned up toward the sun, looking as though he has taken root.

After a moment he looks back down from the sky and reaches into one of his larger pouches, drawing out a fruit and offering it to the other man waiting.

"Apple?"

XiaoTie
2008-01-26, 02:58 PM
Ian Dasmith

With a sincere smile on his face Ian approaches the man and stands besides him on the shadows. He then reaches out for the apple with his right hand, shifting the longspear to his left hand, “Thank you very much”.

After taking a bite of the apple Ian speaks, still with his mouth a tad full of apple “Ahre yoou heer foor the expeditchun too?”. He smiles and laughs when he hears the sound his voice made when speaking with his mouth full, “I’m sorry. Are you here for the expedition too?”

Grishnakh
2008-01-26, 03:06 PM
Karsa Orlong

As his close freind and long time companion got up, Karsa preseded him through the door. Walking through the streets Karsa looks with interest at everything the haekers put in front of him, but after a little shake of the head from Cumanus, he suddenly becomes much less inviting, giving a low growl at any of the vendors comming to close.
With Karsa in such a mood, not many of them dare come to close though, since Karsa is quite an intimidating sight. Standing a full 6'6" tall he towers over most men, his flaming red hair and beard are streaked with little stripes of white from which you can tell the scarrs lying underneath. His breastplate is shining brilliantly in the hot noon sun and on his back hangs a huge axe.

Hearing his companions concerns about his temper he simply grunts, he didn't thing his temper would get out of hand, but then again, he never did. As they get to the royal residence Karsa steps in before Cumanus, as always, ready to face anything should it be needed. Though as Cumanus said, nothing was likely to happen in the princes own home.

kamikasei
2008-01-26, 03:08 PM
Maredan

"Indeed," he replies with a nod. "Though I have few details as yet. I have only just arrived in the city, and the summons here was brief. It sounds as though you have heard more of our purpose, though I suppose we will be fully informed soon enough."

Maredan thinks to inspect any flags, banners or colours visible around the palace and its grounds to see if he can determine what nobles are in attendance and how high-profile or otherwise this gathering might be. He pays particular attention to any evidence of his family or sister's presence.

1d20+6

dabone
2008-01-27, 05:12 AM
Cumanus tallks for a little while with one of the guards, asking him if anything interesting has happened, as always Cumanus wanted to be informed about anything, how more you know how less the chance of bieng surprised.
As he is finishing his conservation, he spots the two figures standing in the shadow of a large tree.

"Karsa."

After that single word, Cumanus turns around and walks toward the two men.

"A very fine day, isn't it? You may or may not know me, but it's always polite to introduce yourself, I'm Cumanus, Inquisitor Cumanus for strangers. And I'm sure my companion can introduce himself perfectly. Whit whom do I have the pleasure?"

As always Cumanus speech never showed his true feelings. He was raised as a proper child and was taught to behave always this way, no matter whom you were talking too. The words of Ra, his father would call it.

Grishnakh
2008-01-27, 05:54 AM
Karsa Orlong

Karsa walks with Cumanus to the two strangers and seeing Cumanus's friendly bearing toward them relaxes. When asked to introduce himself he extends a huge hand to the two and with a wide smile spreading across his face says: "Karsa Orlong, pleased to meet you."

kamikasei
2008-01-27, 06:34 AM
Maredan takes the axe-bearer's hand when offered, but addresses the first man who spoke. "Maredan," he says simply. If his surname is of any relevance at this point, they probably already know it. "I'm afraid I have no more fruit to give."

Tacitus
2008-01-27, 07:03 AM
Norian Loyalar, Soulborn

The streets part for him as the man focuses twin blue eyes with a hint of azure in the sclera upon the main road through Rhuves. A brightly polished cuirass adorns his midsection with plates of steel protecting his other vital areas. A curious air of nobility and strength hangs around him that seems almost palpable and is only confirmed by the wondrous six foot blade currently clung over his shoulders with one hand gripping the blade and the other resting across the hilt. The massive weapon seems to be made from gold but for the veins of dark blue that reach across the flat of the blade from the fuller, which itself seems to be a main artery running back to the base of the weapon.

Hanging upon his back the man carries a steel shield with a brilliant blue eye painted across the surface, albeit without a great deal of skill. Under his shield he carries his pack with supplies and at his hip he wears another blade but one of normal size and common craftsmanship. As he makes his way towards the grand structure carved from marble veined with pink as if in stark opposition to his over-sized blade. Sweat and dirt have turned his hair into a downright mess of sand and black strands but he seems no worse for wear from the heat.

As he passes through the crowds he seems to be more a force than a man as people simply melt away if only to avoid that ridiculous weapon. His strange eyes were focused entirely upon the residence of his old friend to the exclusion of all else. It was not his way to be rude but he had traveled quite some distance and was not particularly in a mood to stock up on supplies or converse with the local population. As he neared the gates and the last of the rabble flowed away from his path he took note of others waiting under the shade of a tree. He approaches them swiftly and at first it looks as though he plans to attack with the shift of his blade. When it moves with such speed that one would swear it must have felt just as a normal longsword. Instead of leaping out to strike at someone the blade drops to sink into the ground so that the man may lean against it, "Well met, I am Norian Loyalar. I assume this gathering sought under the refuge of a tree's leaves is in waiting for a meeting with Saech?"

headwarpage
2008-01-27, 08:38 AM
Barlak Silveraxe

A dwarf, dressed in rough work clothes like most of the handful of dwarves in the city, makes his way through the narrow streets of the poorer section of town before finally reaching the thoroughfare leading to the castle. Outfitted for war, he wears a chain shirt and waraxe, as well as a rather incongruous longbow, which juts nearly two feet above his shoulder. Ignoring the vendors and the jostling crowds, he plods along under the weight of his heavy pack. To be sure, he probably wouldn't need half of what he carried, but it was undoubtedly better to be prepared than to indulge in the luxury of a light pack.

Reaching the gates, Barlak passes through with some trepidation. Despite his long acquaintance with Saech, this was the first time he had actually visited the royal residence. But the guards had apparently been told to expect him, and he passed into the courtyard with some relief. It is with some surprise that he spots the group waiting under the tree - previously, all the requests Saech had made of him had been for him alone. Well, the Prince undoubtedly had his reasons, but he couldn't help but wonder what was different about this time.

Barlak crosses the courtyard at his typical plodding pace and joins the group under the tree. "Greetings, all of you," he says in a gruff voice. "I am Barlak."

stimpius
2008-01-27, 09:06 AM
DM

As the group meet and exchange pleasentries under the tree there comes a blood curdling scream from one of the upper balconies. The double window doors and out stumbles a woman dressed in a long elegant cream robe. She has a golden tiara sat upon and nestled within her golden locks of her which tumble down off her shoulders. She is beautiful in a regal way and is the best looking woman for her age any of you have ever seen.

"MURDER! The old king is dead and by someone else's hand! Poison."

With this last word she falls to the ground of the balcony unconscious.

The guards at the gate are visiblly shifting uncomfortabley, and seconds later there is movement in the upper window and you see the Prince, well King now you would guess, still dressed in his court robe of gold and purple with a soft sash around his waist visiblly weeping. When he catches sight of the group his face hardens into what is his crown face to talk to the nobles and he motions you up. The front doors clang open and two guards dressed in the same black with crimson trim as the front gate ones stand across it with halberds levelled. They see you and draw the halberds up permitting you access, as you go past they simply say first floor second door on the left.

kamikasei
2008-01-27, 09:31 AM
Maredan

Poison? Was Cheddel not dying fast enough for someone's tastes?

Maredan feels a certain grim relief that at least his arrival and stay in the courtyard were well-witnessed. At least it will be hard for anyone to somehow blame him for the king's death. Beyond this thought the implications of the murder matter little to him. Saech will be as good a king or better. The people's lives will continue much as ever. So long as this does not make our expedition impossible, that is still the task to which we must attend.

He is quiet as the group goes to meet the prince. Once Saech joins them he stirs.

"My condolences. If it is of any help, I may be able to shed some light on the cause of His Highness' death, if I am permitted to examine the body."

(([roll0]. Of course, depending what others say or do before the prince arrives Mar may have something else to say before the above.))

XiaoTie
2008-01-27, 10:01 AM
Ian Dasmith

The young man introduces himself, with a smile on his face, as Ian Dasmith whenever asked.

The king was dead, the man who had once employed his father as one of the royal blacksmiths, that struck down Ian's joy for the king had been a good man and a good ruler. He follows Maredan along the way to the first floor, visibly sad and with teary eyes. He stood by the group and the Prince, but wouldn’t say a thing while on the room unless spoken to.

Grishnakh
2008-01-27, 12:05 PM
Karsa Orlong

Upon hearing the scream Karsa immediately grabs his axe. When he hears the cause of the scream his expression darkens even more and a dangerous glint appear in his eye. On his way up to the prince he is still holding the axe in both hands, his knuckles white from the force of his grip. It seems he is eager to put those hands around the neck of whoever did this.

Zimmia
2008-01-27, 06:31 PM
Katryn

The two thoughts reached her head just about the same time. ‘Who in the world would be able to kill Cheddal in his own palace” and “Dear Gods, that means I’m queen now” became jumbled in her head and for a long moment she didn’t stir, save for the tears coming down her cheeks. When she realized that the others were moving, Katryn stumbled forward with the others, and realized that at least some of them looked vaguely familiar. As she reached the top of the stairs she looked to her husband. His eyes found hers and held while a myriad of emotions ran through her head; grief for the man who’d given her a home since the atrocities began, compassion for her husband and a true sense of bewilderment about what would happen now. She had cut the argument about whether or not she would go with the mapping party short simply by making her intentions public despite Saech feeling it was not appropriate. Now even she was unsure if this was the right thing to do, and if she should still insist. For the first time in a long while Katryn didn’t automatically know what she should do, and it scared her. She nodded to Saech, trying to put into that look everything she was feeling and then wiped her eyes.

“Just how did it come about, my Lord?” she asked.

dabone
2008-01-27, 09:37 PM
As the party hears the screaming and moves into the residence Cumanus is thinking about what just happened.

"I knew something bad would happen today, I just knew it.. But this? Really, this is allready out of hand, before it's even started."

"Prince Seach, can you make sure nobody leaves or enters the residence? If it's a fast working poison, there is a good chance the killer is still in here. If the reason why the king died, really is poison. If not, then there is even more reason to let nobody leave."

"King Seach, Cumanus, not prince. I have to be more carefull with what I say, Seach will not be on his best mood now and I really don't want to make it any worse."

Tacitus
2008-01-27, 09:47 PM
Norian

When the scream echoes from above the man whips around with his blade in a single hand looking as though he were waiting to throw it at any threat that might present itself. In that brief moment the veins across the blade shimmer with a golden light and fade into a pure gleaming blade that catches the sun from almost any angle, even in the shade. His eyes narrow at the balcony as the woman feints and he slowly relaxes his stance as he slips the blade over his back to rest at an angle as the length surpasses his height. He says nothing as he moves inside along with the others and seems more concerned about how Saech is handling the death than the fact itself.

stimpius
2008-01-28, 12:47 PM
DM

The prince, well king you guess now walks in after you all into the bedroom and shouts down behind it

"Lock all the doors and bar the gates. Anyone leaves is to be knocked unconscious if they even attempt it."

Slamming the door to the bedroom so hard it shakes in its frame the door shuts. The prince, no king you have to get used to that in your head walks over to his mother picks her up and places her on an opulent white chair near his father and then collapses to the floor in a fit of sobbing.

Now that the door is shut you start to take in some of your surroundings, there is a heavy sickly sweet smell on the air as if the king had been near death for a long time. There are heavy dark oak panels lining all the walls and he is laid in an emporer sized bed with a red quilt covering him. On the floor lay a few books and on the bedside table there are piles upon piles of tissues heavy with mucus and blood. The curtains to the balcony lay open and across from his bed is a large couch which looks as if someone may have laid on it. There is a goblet of some foul smelling brew next to the old kings head and at his feet on the floor lays a bloody dagger.

kamikasei
2008-01-28, 01:34 PM
Maredan

Maredan gives the dead king a respectful few moments' silence before fixing his gaze on Saech and clearing his throat.

"The king is dead, long live the King," he observes.

He then lays his staff by the wall and approaches the bed and picks up the goblet to sniff at it and, depending on what he smells, take a sip or a fingertip's taste. He addresses the prince before going any further in his inspection.

"The late king's illness was long. How many physicians has he seen? Might this be the natural result of his illness, or some well-intended treatment too strenuous for him?"

If given permission by the new king he examines Cheddel's body directly and pays particular attention to the dagger, trying to determine if it was a poisoned assassin's weapon or an instrument of medicinal bloodletting.

((Heal check rolled earlier [23] to determine the cause of the king's death and/or whether the goblet or dagger have any poison. [roll0] if necessary to cover anything the Heal check won't; [roll1] for any convincing Saech might need.))

Tacitus
2008-01-29, 02:57 AM
Norian

While Maredan focuses his efforts on the late King and the dagger Norian moves to assist him by examining the goblet in further detail. As he examines the goblet he looks to the others, "Someone search the room for anything else that seems odd or out of place, especially within containers or under objects. Someone ensure the queen was not injured and that she merely fainted of stress and shock." He really didn't know what else to do or how to help. He was not exactly expecting to be investigating a death within an hour of arriving in the city.

Aid Another Heal Check vs DC 10 [roll0]

Grishnakh
2008-01-29, 03:56 AM
Karsa Orlong

As there appears to be no direct threat Karsa calms down and stops his 'axe-throttling' and puts it away on his back. He feels a bit out of place now, everyone seems to know what to do and investigating all kinds of things, but such things where not among Karsa's capabilities. As he stands there feeling useless, he's almost wishing there was a more physical threat. That one, at least, he knows how to deal with.

stimpius
2008-01-29, 06:11 PM
DM

As far as any of you are aware the king has seen one physician. Looking over the body, which you are allowed to do, there appears to be no actual puncture wound from the dagger, yet there is a green filmy substance on his left thigh. The dagger in particular is serrated and has the same green substance that is on the kings leg and looks as if it could be used to cut someones throat as effectivley as stab them, re-checking the king you do see a faint line that may have been made by this serrated dagger across the back of his thigh.

Maredan finishes his examination of the king with Norians help and steps over to the goblet and dips his finger in, he sees it is some form of blood red fine wine, and smelling it reminds him of the smell of nightshade mixed with aniseed. With this in mind he takes but the smallest of finger-tips to his mouth and you instantly see a sickly-pale green colour cross his face.

To Maredan


3 Fort Saves.
1st at DC15 - if this passes +2 on the next if this fails -2.
2nd at DC 11 - if this passes +1 on the next if this fails -5.
3rd at DC 10.
If you pass all three your on your feet still - make an Int check.


The queen doesn't look injured and still appears to be breathing, and has apparently collapsed from shock alone.

{{Knowledge;History rolls please everyone - OOC thread if so desired}}

Tacitus
2008-01-29, 06:24 PM
Norian

Rather not double post in the OOC
Untrained Knowledge Check[roll0]

Zimmia
2008-01-29, 06:42 PM
Katryn

Wiping the tears from her eyes she takes a last look at Saech and then moves to the servants in the room. "Was he completely alone?" she asks. "Who was on watch outside the door? Who were the last people to come into the room?"

XiaoTie
2008-01-29, 07:02 PM
Ian Dasmith

Untrained Know. (History) (Int) check - [roll0]

headwarpage
2008-01-29, 07:44 PM
Barlak

Knowledge: History (untrained) [roll0]

Barlak had remained grimly silent thus far, unused to interacting with Saech around so many people and unsure of how to respond. Seeing Maredan in distress, however, Barlak hurries to his aid. "That may not have been the smartest move. Try to vomit before your body absorbs all the poison."
OOC: Attempting a Heal check to treat poison and ward off any secondary damage. [roll1]

kamikasei
2008-01-30, 06:22 AM
Maredan

Maredan pales, grimaces, and spits out any trace of the tainted wine to the side. Wordlessly he gestures thanks to Barlak. It takes a moment before he can speak around his numbed tongue.

"I don't recognize the contents, but they're extremely toxic. No ill or elderly person could possibly benefit from this. Subtlety was clearly not a priority."

He addresses Saech. "Is the King's physician in the palace?"

To Norian and the others: "Do any of you recognize this substance on the dagger? It looks to have been used, as well."

dabone
2008-01-30, 08:35 AM
"I think the first questions here are : Who had acces to the room? Who visited the king, and when is the last time someone visited him before his unfortunate death?"

Cumanus was silent for some time before asking this questions, thinking about possible causes and what to do next.

"Oh, and I could look at the dagger for you, my knowledge of poison isn't that big, but I have encountered some in my work as a healer."

I think identify a poison is a heal check? if not then I don't know what it should be. since Alchemy isn't a skill anymore.
Heal check - [roll0]

stimpius
2008-01-30, 11:59 AM
DM

The Prince on the floor looks at each of you and says a few words before slumping back

"The last in where the kings footman, who reported the king as he was and came to find my mother. Previous to that i have no idea, and uhm unfortunatley maybe as an oversight with hindsight there was no guard."

Ian remembers from somewhere that he once heard a white powder that dissolved in wine would act very effectivley and gave three chances to kill an enemy, he can't find its name in his memory but remembers it is called inheritence powder.

The kings physician is in the palace and is currently with his brother one Lord Dresmun, the second most powerful noble on Etouli.

The poison on the dagger looks to be an extremley toxic contact poison.

XiaoTie
2008-01-30, 06:44 PM
Ian Dasmith

“My liege”, Ian clears his throat in order to make his low voice audible enough, “This scene brought back a name to my mind; Inheritance Powder. If memory serves me well it is a white powder that is capable of killing quickly once it is mixed with wine”, he looks around to the others, “Does any of you recollect anything about this Inheritance Powder?”.

kamikasei
2008-01-31, 08:37 AM
Maredan

Maredan studies the dagger intently while the others talk. "Poison in the wine, and poison on the blade," he says when they are done. "Why both? If you can poison the wine, the king will drink it and die, it will be thought the natural course of his illness, and no suspicion will befall you. If you can employ an assassin, why waste time with the wine? Why bother with either, when the king is already close to death?"

He turns to Saech. "We might learn something when your lady mother revives if she can tell us why she immediately thought of poison. Given the presence of the knife it would seem more natural to assume simple violence. Perhaps she saw or suspected something.

"Until then we must ask ourselves why two parties would both want the king dead so urgently. Do you know if he planned some action that might harm the interests of any noble house or faction?"

Zimmia
2008-01-31, 09:41 AM
((My questions to the servants?))

XiaoTie
2008-01-31, 10:40 AM
Ian Dasmith

He turns to Maredan, “Well, he could have used the wine only to, say, activate the powder, making it turn into the actual poison, and only then use the poison on the blade. It is possible that he had the poison with him and just wanted to make sure he would be…successful”, his last words came out with an even lower tone of voice.

“Maybe there were two assassins unknown to each other. While one of them poisoned the wine, the other used the blade. That is, however, just a guess”.

kamikasei
2008-01-31, 10:56 AM
Maredan

"Two assassins is what I suspect. That wine seemed like it would kill very quickly, though it sounds like you are more familiar with it than I. Either two different people or one very desperate person wanted the king dead immediately, and didn't care that it would be clear he was murdered."

He looks to the couch and frowns. "Was someone resting here?"

((Zimmia: I don't think there are any servants in the room. Your questions have been answered, haven't they?))

Zimmia
2008-01-31, 03:56 PM
((I find it interesting that there is a room with a dead king, a fainted queen and a distraught crown prince and there are no attendants. But, okay :smallsmile: ))

Katryn

Amazed to find no attendant of any type in the kings room, Katryn moves to the doorway to speak to the sentry. "Was the king completely alone? How long have you been on watch here at the door? Who were the last people in here before Her Majesty?"

dabone
2008-01-31, 05:58 PM
"As the prince allready told, the last ones to came here were the footman and they noticed nothing strange. Owh mentioning that : Karsa would you be so kind to bring one of those footman here, I want to know precisly what happened when they were here."

2 assasins? and they didnt knew of eachother..whats the chances on that?

"What about there was only 1 assasin, who killed the king with the poison, but put the knive here to frame someone else? what do we know about the dagger at all? is it from someone we know, or is there anything on it? If there is something to find there we would be a step further in the right direction"

Grishnakh
2008-02-01, 07:56 AM
Karsa Orlong

At Cumanus's request Karsa nods and sets out to find the footman. He is glad to be out of the room and to be able to do something usefull. In the hallway Karsa will ask some servants to bring him to the footman, or at least point him in the right direction.

stimpius
2008-02-01, 01:21 PM
DM

A royal attendant returns to the chamber,

"Uhm, I do believe you will all need to see this. There were three men caught trying to escape the castle grounds, and there are also 5 more bodies. The kings guard as well as his footmen have all ben found dead."

With this he turns and leads you downstairs to a cellar, and when he opens the door a stench meets your nose.

Walking in you find three people, well bodies technically now all with blood and ichor running from their mouth, and a dead guard against the wall all purple and bruised.

Saeach follows you into the room and merely intones

"Well it would appear that our killers have now killed themselves. If there is any theories you have please share them, if not i do believe we will have to postpone our meeting till tomorrow now, i must meet the council again later today yet."

kamikasei
2008-02-01, 03:14 PM
Maredan

Maredan frowns at the sight of the room. "This is not all the result of a combat. Let me see if I can determine what killed these assassins."

While he examines the bodies he speaks to the others. "This is troubling indeed. Three assassins to kill one man? Poisons that will kill instantly, when there are many as sure, but slower, that would allow an assassin to escape and leave no trail? All of them so ready to die, when having killed their guard they could well have escaped? I do not understand this at all. I cannot see how it serves the interests of anyone with the means to arrange it."

Though he does not say anything, he is concerned for the new King as well. He is in shock, I think. Too much has happened too quickly. But I cannot be seen to be supporting him, or it may make him look weak.

He speaks to the attendant. "Was this how you left this room, or were these men captive and alive then?"


Checks galore. A heal check for each of the bodies, paying particular attention to the source of the "ichor", whether the assassins were killed in a fight or poisoned themselves or otherwise committed suicide, and whether anything is unusual about the manner of the guard's death. If poisons were involved, do they match either the wine or the dagger?
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
A spot check for the room generally.
[roll4]
A sanity check for me, because I have no idea what's going on!
[roll5]

Tacitus
2008-02-01, 10:25 PM
Norian

When the smell in the room hits his nose the warrior reels back so fast that it seems an after-image trails behind him but it most certainly had to be a trick of the light, right? Once he moved inside he shuffled off to one side and simply stared at the dead with a sick look on his face. He'd lead a relatively sheltered life and hadn't seen much more than animals killed for food. Seeing so many dead in one day was rather unsettling but he tried his best to not throw up in front of the new King. Finding what few words he had amidst the discomfort he looked to Saech, "Take whatever time you need to sort things out. We will be waiting for you, for as long as it takes."

headwarpage
2008-02-02, 07:36 PM
Barlak

Barlak wrinkles his nose at the scene. "Maybe they killed themselves, or maybe there are still more killers here, who did it for them." Barlak first examines the area for any bloody footprints or other signs that somebody might have walked away from the slaughter, then looks closely at the bodies, trying to decide first, if any of them bear wounds that couldn't have been self-inflicted, and second, if the dead guard shows any injuries that the dead men present couldn't have accounted for. "You said five more deaths. Where's the fifth body?"

Taking 20 on all those, if I can, but if I can't:
Heal checks: [roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3]
Survival check on the tracks: [roll4]

Zimmia
2008-02-03, 04:43 PM
Katryn

"So many of them, so willing to die. Sounds a little fanatical to me," Katryn muttered mostly to herself. "With this many bodies, there is bound to be a trail of some sort." She concentrates and mutters some words in draconic before looking carefully around the room.

Cast Detect Secret doors and scan the room carefully. I'm almost certain there's another way out of here.

After that, I want to see if I know of a group fanatical enough to do this, who may be unhappy with the crown or with Cheddal in general:
Knowledge Local [roll0]
Knowledge Nobility: [roll1]
Profession (princess): [roll2]

SSL checks in general, but if I detect a door of any sort, specifically there and looking for traps or other signs as well:
Search: [roll3]
Spot: [roll4]
Listen: [roll5]

stimpius
2008-02-03, 05:35 PM
DM

An examination of the three assasins shows cuffs and bruises on their knuckles where they obviously just beat the guard to death, and a careful examination of the mouth area reveals that they all had an extremley potent contact poison in a fake tooth which they all have bitten although two of their faces have an expression of disgust as they do it, whilst the third appears to have died extremley happily.

"Ah yes, well the fifth body you see, it appears to uhm no longer be here. It was a second guard, we didn't leave these three with just one you understand. There were two guards but no the men were not tied up because they had no weapons we assumed they would be no threat."

Thinking about who could be pissed off at the new king in theory for Katryn now brings only one thought to mind and one instantly; Lord Von Clancey, the second most powerful man in Etouli after Seach now.

Katryn cast's her spell and bingo, a secretly recessed trapdoor now shows itself, and after finding it a careful search reveals a ring pull mechanism, pulling this back results in a trail of blood, as if someone had carried a body to here, dumped it and dragged it down.

Zimmia
2008-02-03, 05:56 PM
Katryn

"Well well well, what have we here?" Katryn says in a curious voice as she peers into the passageway behind the door. She mutters a few more words and several lightly glowing orbs appear in front of her and move down the passageway. She notes the trail of blood and crings a little as she whispers something under her breath that sounds like it has to do with washing her hair later. Stepping carefully she disappears into the passageway.


Detect secret doors is still active (just in case)
Cast dancing lights (the orb version) and send them into the passage ahead of me.
SSL checks again (for good measure), watching out for traps.
Search: [roll0]
spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

dabone
2008-02-03, 11:21 PM
"You really shouldn't go in there alone. You never know whats in there, also something had to leave this trail of blood. Well I mean someone had to drag the body through here to get that blood-trail."

Cumanus really looks worried, but will not stand in her way, if she decides to go in by herself.

Tacitus
2008-02-04, 02:08 AM
Norian

Norian sighs to himself and shakes his head and grumbles something in Sylvan< "<Oh yes, going into the bloodstained secret passage alone is a great idea. Lets go where we know there has to be something dead and hope theres no one waiting to make more dead things. Great idea.>" He removes his giant blade from his back but instead of holding it at the ready in hopes of stabbing something he lays it over his right shoulder and follows after Katryn. As he goes there seems to be an odd presence about him, almost as though a second skin were laid over his own with mucn more definition than his own.

kamikasei
2008-02-04, 04:43 AM
Maredan

Maredan follows after Norian, in silence, Katryn having gone on before he could intervene.


[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Grishnakh
2008-02-04, 08:19 AM
Karsa Orlong

Karsa takes his axe of his back and looks at his friend. Obviously he would like to go in as well, but he will wait to follow Cumanus's lead, guarding the back if so desired.

dabone
2008-02-04, 12:23 PM
"Karsa, make sure nothing happens to our new friends, I will help the attendant move the bodies and make sure they get further examined before we burry them."

headwarpage
2008-02-04, 06:10 PM
Barlak

Barlak reaches up to put a hand on Katryn's shoulder. "Hang on, miss. You don't know what's in there. I'll go first, unless any of you can see in the dark. Follow at a safe distance. Unless you hear me scream - then you come running."

I am the only one with darkvision, right? Regardless,
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Hide: [roll2]
Move Silently: [roll3]

Zimmia
2008-02-04, 06:14 PM
Katryn

"That's what the lights are for good sir, but if you insist be my guest. Good luck." Shaking her head slightly Katryn backs out of the passage and stands near the door. 'Hope for his sake it's not trapped,' she thought.

back out of the passage and pull my lights back into the room as well.

headwarpage
2008-02-04, 07:49 PM
Barlak

"Thing about lights is, anybody in there will see the lights before you get close enough to see them." That said, Barlak draws his axe and enters the passageway.

stimpius
2008-02-05, 12:24 PM
DM

With all the scuffling and hustling around the trapdoor, it sounds like a herd of rampaging hippos are about to descend till people decide what order they are.

Moving down the tunnel with his axe held in both hands Barlak slips into the shadows to try and hide. The tunnels musty air now comes full force back into the room and descending down there is evidence of moss and lichen on the walls as well as water and slime dropping from the roof.

A small congealed puddle of green goo on the floor seems to be in its own right and have nothing dropping near it and Barlak spots it as he puts his foot straight down into it and a tripwire flies taught across the line.

To Barlak;

Fort Save and Reflex save please, will list DC's here so if you succeed you can incorporate into your next post.
Fort is a DC12, as a spike penentrates your boot with this slime on. If you fail - loose 2 points of con and 2 HP.
Reflex is a DC16 as the tripwire flies taught across where you step, if you fail; 3 damage from slamming into the walls and hitting the floor.

headwarpage
2008-02-05, 05:10 PM
Fort save, Reflex save (1d20+5=13, 1d20+5=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1482937/) Rolled on Invisible castle so I could post reactions without double posting.

Barlak

Barlak jumps as he feels something prick his foot, then nearly falls as he dances past the tripwire, catching himself against the wall. His heart pounding in his chest, he examines the tripwire to determine what caused it to shoot across the passageway, then cuts the line so that none of the others will trip over it. If the spike is not attached to anything, he will also move that aside with the toe of his boot, being careful not to touch the green goo.
Just in case I need it...
Spot [roll0]
Search [roll1]

stimpius
2008-02-05, 05:25 PM
DM

The tripwire was already set up across the path as if whoever set it expected someone to set it off. Now that you check the goo you can see it seems to be on some form of pressure pad and that as soon as you changed the pressure the needle shot up, its the only needle. That you can see.

Tripwire cut, the passageway snakes off into the distance turning around 40 foot ahead to the left.

Zimmia
2008-02-05, 05:25 PM
Katryn

Hearing the tell-tale sound of a trap, Katryn peers into the passage to see if he got hurt. "Might have been able to clear that for you, had I been in front," Katryn says quietly. "At least you weren't injured by it."

headwarpage
2008-02-05, 06:11 PM
Barlak

Barlak returns to the entry. "If it'll keep you happy, go ahead. I'm not sneaking up on anybody if I trip every ten feet anyway."

Zimmia
2008-02-05, 06:28 PM
Katryn

"A comprimise then? Stick close and if something nasty comes around the corner I'll get out of your way," she says with a smile. Unless he objects, she will enter the passageway.


SSL checks, checking for traps along the way. If something nasty appears Katryn will try either to get right up against the passageway wall, or if necessary go turtle on the ground so he can step over her.
Search: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]
Hide: [roll3]
Move silently: [roll4]

stimpius
2008-02-06, 05:05 PM
DM

Turning the corner Katryn sees the tunnel follow much the same route for around 20 feet before ending in a solid wooden oak door.

Listening at the door she hears....

Nothing.

Examining the door however does reveal a spring loaded poison needle in the lock, and looking through the keyhole she can see that the room beyond is in pitch blackness.

Zimmia
2008-02-06, 05:11 PM
Katryn

Katryn motions to Barlak behind her as she pulls out her tools and goes to work on the trap.

Either because of the loss of her father in law or the dark, Katryn slips as she goes to disable the needle trap and it releases. With a grunt of pain the needle pricks her. Shaking her head in disgust, she shrugs it off and works on the lock.

If the disable roll goes badly, I'll edit the above post:
Disable: [roll0]
Open Lock: [roll1]

Made my save for the trap with a 16 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3899629&postcount=29)

HP now 7/8

headwarpage
2008-02-06, 07:43 PM
Barlak

Barlak snorts. "If I'd known you were going to get stuck anyway, I'd have done that." He smiles as he says it, though.

Tacitus
2008-02-07, 03:42 PM
Norian

He continues to follow along with his blade at the ready, though it lacks the golden luster that usually obscures the faint blue veins across the surface.

Zimmia
2008-02-07, 04:31 PM
Katryn

With her back to him, Norian can't see her roll her eyes although she doens't particularly hide the emotion from her speech. "Let's see you at a hundred percent when your father-in-law has just been poisoned and your husband is about to become king," she whispers with sarcasm but no malace.

After opening the lock she smooshes herself against the passageway so that he can go first.

stimpius
2008-02-08, 11:46 AM
DM

Im assuming Barlak goes in first, if its anyone else, disregard the next few lines.

Opening the door, the first thing you notice is an absolute blackness, as if the room doesn't exist at all, waiting for a few seconds your darkvision picks out a table in the middle of the room with two wooden chairs around it.

On one sits Lord Dresmun a hand crossbow in his hand. In the other sits no one.

He appears to have disregarded his set of courtly blue robes and instead is sat in a suit of chainmail.

Against the backwall you can barely pick out another figure roughly 90 foot away you would estimate and half hidden behind another chair or it is possibly a barrel.

About the same time you take all this in the handcrossbow fires and hits Barlak square in the forehead drawing blood and causing a look of pain to spasm across his face.

{{Sorry for not replying yesterday i couldn't get on the forums. I want initiatives, along with 1 rounds worth of actions here - then a second in the OOC thread to keep this moving in 2 round bursts. Damage and other notes in the OOC thread for players. :)}}

headwarpage
2008-02-08, 12:15 PM
Barlak

Barlak slumps to the floor as his limbs go numb. Cursing, he struggles to regain his feet, but with no success. Finally admitting the futility of his efforts, he takes a deep breath.

"TO ARMS!" he bellows in a voice that should carry at least as far as the room the others are waiting in, if not to the entire castle.

Tacitus
2008-02-08, 12:23 PM
Norian
HP: 14/14 AC: 18(13/15)+1 (Insight) Init: [roll0]

Seeing his compatriot fall to the ground he drops his shield and slips his hand to his belt and draws forth a small stick with a strange crystal stuck to one end. With a sharp crack against his thigh a bright light erupts around him as the alchemical substance within the Sunrod is released. He grips the light tightly in his left hand as he hefts the blade up and charges into the room but not to make a direct attack. He'd rather get as far in as he can so his light will cover the largest area possible.

((OOC for round 2 to come later))

Zimmia
2008-02-08, 12:27 PM
Katryn

Shocked as Barlak is hit right in front of her, Katryn tries in vain to see who or what is in the room and casts her spell again, sending it into the room.

Initiative: [roll0]
Cast dancing lights and send them into the room
spells cast: 2/5 zero, 1/4 1st
HP 7/8
AC 17

XiaoTie
2008-02-08, 12:38 PM
Ian Dasmith

The young cartographer kept following Maredan, as he seemed like a bright person despite his similar young age. Although silent, he paid attention to every detail during his time inside the manor. The lass seemed to be a bit too uptight and too sure of herself for her own good if she were to take part on the expedition, but if she was chosen by the Prince she was sure to be of a great aid in the expedition.

It wasn’t with much surprise that his ears received the dwarf’s warning, and as soon as he was able to go inside the room he did so with his longbow in hand. “The assassins, we found them”, were his words, spoken (more to himself than to anyone else) before loosing an arrow at Lord Dresmun.

Rolls
Initiative : [roll0]
Attack roll : [roll1]
Damage (if needed) : [roll]1d8[/b]

kamikasei
2008-02-08, 01:10 PM
Maredan

Maredan's indifferent calm drops away at the emergence of a clear threat. Shifting his staff to a one-handed grip he drops forward onto all fours and seems to melt and shift before your eyes. In a heartbeat the man's figure is gone and a large, untamed wolf stands in his place.

With a snarl he springs into the room and tackles Dresmun, biting at his crossbow arm.


[roll0]
Swift action: assume predator form
Move action: move up to 50' to engage Dresmun. (Given the speed, will try to come at him from the side so as to leave him open to other party members.)
Standard action: attack: [roll1], [roll2].

Strength increases to 19, AC 16, touch 12, ff 14. HP 10/10.

stimpius
2008-02-09, 06:34 PM
DM

As Barlak slumps to the floor the party react immediatley.

Maredan changes infront of your very eyes, he swaps from a human in clothing to a fully furred and pelted fighting machine. A wolf leaps past the party into the room and bites Dresmun, hard. A liberal amount of blood flows from the bite wound on his leg, as he slumps backwards, not out of the fight but not looking well.

Going simultaneously, Katryn and Ian react before those inside the room, ahead of Katryn rush some little blobs of light, lighting up the room so you can see clearly how much of a mess this room is in, and just what squalour these three have been waiting in. Wait, three you say, yes wel, with the lights now showing the room, the one robed and hooded figure at the back, actually has someone dressed identically next to him. Ian walks into the room, nocks an arrow, fires at Dresmun and misses.

Norian seeing the need for more light rushes into the room and stands in the middle taking in a full survey, the room is roughly the size Barlak had thought it was, there are tables and chairs smashed and scattered all around along with piles of dust and crap. There is what appears to be rodent droppings and piles of discared string. Taking another look at the two figures at the back, nothing can be discerend anymore. They are both roughly human height and weight dressed in completley black robes.

Staggered from the rapid assault on his body Dresmun draws a longsword from a side scabbard and drops his hand crossbow, taking a diagonal slicing cut downwards at Maredan. slicing through the wolfs shoulder bone and drawing blood in a scarlet line.

Cumanas and Karsa seem to have been to far back to have heard Barlaks call properly.

-------------------------------

Wondering why the two figures hadn't taken any actions last round get answered now as two burst shaped spells go off in the vicinity of the room centered on the party, but not wide enough to catch Norian. Falling prey to these spells are; Ian. {{Sorry your the only one whos save failed from my rolls =[}}

Mareden still in wolf form notices that our dear friend Dresmun hasn't fallen over and spends all round attacking him, the first attack from his bite misses but his claw hits and scores a jagged wound across Dresmun's thigh. Dresmun seem's incapacitated as if one more move or attack would finish him off.

Katryn sensing that a bigger threat is now posed from the two robed figures over the lord who seems as if he will start to bleed to death shortly, moves in and throws a handfull of coloured sand acros both of the enemy. One of them falls down unconscious yet the second seems unfazed by this new assault. Ian taking a leaf out of Katryns book moves across the room a bit to get a clear shot to the back and looses an arrows at the robed figure still standing, unfortunatley the figure twists and turns out of the way of the arrow.

Norian moves up and starts to interfere with the caster at the back of the room still stood, although in a non sexual manner. He takes a swing with his golden sword but seems to miss.

Dresmun knowing his strength will fail, launches one more blow against Mareden putting all his effort behind the blow, or so it would seem, but at the last moment he quickdraws a knife from his leg sheath and throws it across the room at Ian, hitting him in the shoulder before slumping unconscious.

Cumanus and Karsa are nowhere to be seen.

{{Stuff in the OOC thread for damage etc. :)}}

dabone
2008-02-09, 07:01 PM
At the moment the dwarf screams his battlecry, Cumanus looks up.

"seems they found something, pretty sure that Karsa and the rest is capable of handling them. If it really goed bad, I'll hear my name soon enough."

Cumanus quickly resumes his work with the bodies, but keeps his attention at the hole the party vanquised in.

kamikasei
2008-02-10, 04:40 AM
Maredan

The wolf snarls as Dresmun drops. I will need to look at him after the fight, an inner voice points out. He will be needed alive for questioning.

The same is arguably true of the still-standing robed figure at the back of the room, but his counterpart is already unconscious, and he is still a clear threat - so Maredan feels no hesitation in bounding across the room to attack.

He's a caster, so better to get in his face than snipe from a distance I guess. I'm assuming he's close enough for a 50' move to close the gap.

HP: 4/10.


[roll=Damage[1d20+4

stimpius
2008-02-10, 05:30 PM
DM

Can everyone check the OOC thread please, fairly important message there.

Grishnakh
2008-02-11, 07:19 AM
sorry for the late response, didn't really have time the last few days.

Karsa Orlong

Being the rearguard of the group Karsa had fallen a bit behind and when he heard the alarm cry, found himself almost completly in the dark again. Having some trouble stumbling through the passageway he now stumbles into the room and without a pause charges at the last standing opponent, his axe raised high above his head.

Initiative: [roll0]
AC: 18 (now 16 because of charge)
Hp: 14/14

Charge: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Tacitus
2008-02-12, 01:22 PM
Norian

Stepping to one side to be to one side of the mage in order to allow (or complete) and flanking maneuvers anyone else might attempt the man swings his gleaming blade once again.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

stimpius
2008-02-15, 12:01 PM
Okay boys and girls im back! Lets get these actions in so i can do an update before bed. The trip was brilliant - sorry for making you wait so long.

Tactius - make a confirm see if you double fumble or just miss horribly. :P

Zimmia
2008-02-15, 06:07 PM
Katryn

Still just as confused as to what is actually happening here, but knowing that if the people are dead they can't give them as many clues, Katryn moves to cast another spell, trying to stop the man in armor.


AC 17
HP 7/8
Cast 'charm person (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/charmPerson.htm)' on the man left standing, will DC 15 negates

Spells cast:
0 - 1/5
1 - 2/4

Tacitus
2008-02-16, 02:06 AM
Right then, as long as Fumble's Fumble Chart is not involved.[roll0]