PDA

View Full Version : The Game of Future and Space



Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jm_jazzman
2008-01-27, 08:04 PM
Future history:
It is the future (dun dun dun...)

An experiment in F.T.L. technology in the late 21st century ends very unsuccessfully. The ship is destroyed and the fabric of space itself is torn, creating a wormhole of sorts. As it turns out, this rift is only one of many such holes created by similar experiments in distant solar systems, connecting the homespaces of every technologically advanced species in the universe that has ever tried to outrun light. Before long, strange alien ships emerge from the rift (first contact!) and invite their buddies to try and take over the Earth (frell). The hastily organized assault on Earth is devastating, but nearly all the world's nations manage to come together to form a previously unheard-of alliance of human unity. Working together now as a single planetary entity, Earth is able launch a surprise counter-attack against the alien invaders, forcing them to withdraw across the solar system, back to the wormhole resting just beyond the orbit of Uranus.

Now we fast-forward another 150 years.

2223 - The Earth is now a dump. Nobody lives there if they have any choice. It's not the result of the attempted invasion 150 years ago, but rather pollution, plague, radiation... it's like a giant, planet-sized bum camp where all the resources have been used up. Humanity has moved into space. There are many space stations orbiting earth, the moon, and extending right to saturn's moons. There are also large stations in their own orbits around the sun, like tiny planets.

Since the abandonment of earth, all human governments have failed to re-establish themselves as central ruling authorities. Following a short civil cold war between the loyalists and the libertarians 30 years ago, the sol system fell into a state of near-anarchy. Different colonies and space stations now vary greatly from one to the next in how they operate, with some being collectives of free people ruling themselves through democracy, and others being ruled by militant gangs who force the inhabitants of their stations to fight rival gangs to earn their quarters. Anything goes. Without a strong human authority to defend the system, many aliens of various species have made new homes in the outer reaches of the Sol System, sometimes peacefully trading, while at other times using advanced ships to pirate human trade routes.

Yet still, despite this new low humanity has reached, there is still hope that it can one day establish itself once more as a unified species and a beacon of civilization. There are still those who push for the further advancement of technology and culture. Some regions within Sol have managed to remain relatively civilized, where private contracts hold business together and collectively paid-for security forces usually manage to keep order. It's still the wild west, but at least there are sheriffs.

The lead-up:
You are on a small station near the asteroid belt which is primarily used as a transportation hub. Each one of you has arrived there simply for the purpose of catching the next shuttle to where ever it is each of you happen to be going. Vacation, maybe? (doubtful). Without warning, the station shutters, and the power goes out. You find yourselves flying weightless in the dark. Everyone panics. People start screaming, kicking wildly, throwing up. Fear grips you; could this be the work of thieves? slavers? You hear another great shutter, and you can now feel a breeze across your face. Is the station depressurizing? Something grabs your focus: you see light, shining out of an open bulkhead. You find a solid surface and propel yourself toward it. You fly into a hanger bay, where a ship is anchored to the floor, illuminating the room with spotlights. You see someone pulling themself inside an open hatch, and push yourself after them. Running into other people as you reach the door, you manage to scramble inside with them. Someone seals the hatch. Everyone is yelling. Drops of blood float past your face. You hear engines whirring. The wall leaps forward and slams into you.

You wake up, and immediately wish you hadn't because everything hurts so much. This is where our adventure begins.

Aching all over, you slowly open your eyes. You are floating in a long and narrow room, dimly lit by faint lights glowing along the edges of the walls. You can see two sturdy pressure doors on either end of the room, and a row of battered-looking white lockers along the far wall. Peering through your blurred vision, you count five other dilapidated figures drifting near you: A slight, 30-something man in fine clothes; Another man, this one younger and with darker features; A pale, slim teen-aged boy; An old lady with... some kind of weird cane? It's difficult to see properly; And finally... a man with a CHAINSAW on his back? You twist painfully to get a better look, and watch as your reflection mimics you in a mirror-covered wall. Oops, so maybe there are only four others here.

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-27, 08:12 PM
What a rush

David Zipp tries to get a handhold on a wall so he can search the lockers

search modifier = 0

jm_jazzman
2008-01-27, 09:23 PM
Working his way through the lockers one by one, unsticking jammed doors as needed, David Zipp finds a large stash of equipment, all held neatly in place with velcro.
3 old spacesuits
2 bio-hazard suits
1 sample-collecting kit
2 first-aid kits
2 stretchers
1 medical crash kit
1 Geiger counter
1 space-worthy magnetic toolkit
6 large backpacks

Gowron
2008-01-28, 12:46 AM
With an audible creak, Granny attempts to wrangle herself towards the closest door.

None of you strapping young lads might know where we are, hmm?

Checking the door for any markings and controls. Are there viewports/windows? A control panel?

Search = +1

!rorak
2008-01-28, 12:53 AM
Tal'vere blinked and shook his head, trying to dislodge the pain. It didn't work. Should have stayed on the Sellsword, he thought ruefully. Should have stayed on my ship.

No use worrying about that now. Tal'vere pulled at the wall and slid along to where an older man was looking over the equipment stash in the lockers in a way, Tal'vere noted with surprised satisfaction, seemed vaguely professional. Good. At least somebody other than me here knows what they're doing.

Silently, Tal'vere appropriated the toolkit for himself and dragged out a spacesuit, checking for leaks.
[roll0] for leak-checking. Can I use my Int and Spacer bonuses on this?

While he ran his fingers over the worn material, Tal'vere noted his vision was starting to clear slightly. He took the moment to look around the place.
[roll1] for Spotting anything useful or of note.

!rorak
2008-01-28, 12:55 AM
The old woman was saying something. Tal'vere ignored her and concentrated on the task at hand.

jm_jazzman
2008-01-28, 01:04 AM
Next to the round and heavy door, which turns out to be open by a fraction of an inch, Granny discovers a small control panel.

Meanwhile, Tal'vere finds some small cracks and tears in the faded material of the space suit.

Aeti
2008-01-28, 01:15 AM
"ammitday," Fortinbras muttered, as he clutched his head. I hope one of them sorts things out for me.

!rorak
2008-01-28, 01:16 AM
Tal'vere swore inaudibly and pushed the spacesuit, the zero-G carrying it the full length back into the locker. Figures.

For all he knew the other 'suits were just as bad if not worse, and even if he didn't find the tears in the others they would still be there. Better to assume they were all faulty and move on. At least he had another toolkit. The Sellsword only had one or two, all of them greedily hoarded by the chief engineer. Not that I can blame him for that.

Let's see. Nothing of interest left to check out in the room, really. Tal'vere looked around for the person that had been talking, and spotted her near the door. He launched himself off with practiced ease and drifted over to where she was.

"What'd you say?"

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-28, 01:17 AM
David looks through the supplies he found, opening the two first-aid kits and noting what sort of supplies there are in them. He notices that the young man has taken the tool-kit and one of the space suits. That's a relief. I was hoping that someone would know how those worked. They looked like the space suits he had seen aboard the marine transports when they docked, back in his army days, but that was a long time ago, or so it seemed. Besides, what was a landlubber like him supposed to know about space suits.

He turns back to the first-aid kits and stows them in a backpackPretty basic, but they'll do barring major catastrophe, and in that case, we're all screwed anyways.

Hey you, do you know how to work these things? Can you work this? By the way, I'm David Zipp. David passes the geiger counter to Tal'vere

Gowron
2008-01-28, 01:21 AM
Granny coughs politely.

I asked whether you would know where we are, lad!

Turning her attention back to the control panel, Granny begins poking at the buttons randomly.

!rorak
2008-01-28, 01:32 AM
"Oh. Uh, thanks." Tal'vere said. He turned back to the senior and saw she was doing pressing buttons at a frequency that appeared to be alarmingly random.
Don't do that, okay? We could end up even worse off." Tal'vere frowned. Somehow.

He held up the toolkit. "Look. I'm good at this stuff. Just give me some time with the panel and I'll get this thing open."

"M'name's Tal'vere. Tal's easier to say. I, uh. We might be on a ship. I mean, it was all a blur coming in here but I think that's what I saw. If we can get out of this room I'm going to look for a cockpit, bridge, engineering... whatever. I can pilot this thing, or repair it. I hope."

Gowron
2008-01-28, 01:41 AM
Granny pauses her mashing of the buttons. Now don't you be speaking to your senior in that tone of voice, boy! You will address me as Mrs. Treadsworth.

Whippersnapper. Don't people teach their kids respect these days? The nerve. "We could even end up worse off" my left foot!

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-28, 01:42 AM
We're still on the station right? David is getting worried.
My rifle was in my luggage, my luggage was on the station. If I don't have that rifle, something bad IS going to happen. Oh **** oh ****, I can't afford a new one, and even if I could, where would I get one? I REALLY hope we're still on that station
David hopes that he can find out where he is. He checks around him to see if there's anything that he can orient himself with

[roll0]
Looking for anything that seems familiar

David then pulls himself along to the man with the chainsaw. What a piece of work. He checks to see if the man is still alive.

[roll1] Just looking for vitals. Without getting too close

!rorak
2008-01-28, 01:49 AM
Tal'vere thought back to the last time he'd talked to anyone that wasn't a mercenary spacer and realized it was back on the colony. He tried to remember how talking to people like that worked.

"Oh. Uh, sorry... sorry, Mrs. Treadsworth. May I look at the control panel now? I do have some experience in these things."

Tal'vere's vision cleared some more, but the object strapped to the old woman's back stayed the way it was, hallucinogenically so.

"Uh, Mrs Treadsworth? Is that a KATANA on your back?"

Gowron
2008-01-28, 01:54 AM
Granny grins smugly. Good lad. And yes, you may look at the control panel. And no, this is most assuredly NOT a katana. Why would an old lady like me be carring around a katana?

Bluff: [roll0]

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-28, 01:59 AM
This is getting stranger and stranger

David runs his finger along his handgun, ensuring that it is still there before positioning himself so that the man with the chainsaw is between him and the older lady. He then continues checking the man's vitals.

"Hello sir, can you hear me? Are you in there sir? If you can hear me, please respond"

jm_jazzman
2008-01-28, 02:25 AM
Opposite of where Granny and Tal'vere are floating, David can see stars through a small portal set in the far door. Turning to the chainsaw fellow, he quickly determines that the man is quite alive and, other than appearing to be unconscious, reasonably uninjured.

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-28, 02:28 AM
David leaves the man with the chainsaw unconscious.
No way in hell I'm gonna be the one who wakes him up
He floats over to the window and looks out.

jm_jazzman
2008-01-28, 02:33 AM
Running into the cold door rather clumsily, David can see nothing through the portal other than a multitude of stars. They drift slowly in sync, in a great gentle spiraling motion.

thisnamedoesntf
2008-01-28, 02:51 AM
Daggit twitches and groans a little. His eyes flutter open blearily, and he looks around in confusion. Suddenly he tenses, and his eyes open open wide with panic as he desperately flails one hand back over his shoulder. His fingers find the blade of his chainsaw, and he calms visibly.

Good, Daisy is still with me. Things can't be going too badly, then

He begins to look around, and takes in his surroundings and companions. With a little struggling he moves over to the wall to get a better view, and leans against it in a manner that can only be described as...badass.

Profession:Badass [roll0]

!rorak
2008-01-28, 08:55 AM
sense motive:[roll0] I guess if it's higher, I'll know.

!rorak
2008-01-28, 09:02 AM
Well, at least she's armed, Tal'vere thought. And hopefully she knows which end to stick them with.

Tal'vere looked over the control panel, running slim fingers over the buttons and then the screwed-down frame that hid the malleable circuitry beneath.

"This could take a few seconds."

take 20 using my Use Computer skill, so overall that's 25. Enough to open up the door?

jm_jazzman
2008-01-28, 12:54 PM
Turning to the panel next to the door, Tal finds that it is without power, rendering the controls completely unresponsive. However, since the door was already hanging open a crack to start with, all it takes is some firm pulling with his feet planted on the wall to open it the rest of the way. On the other side, a bare white hallway stretches off to the right and left. It is a circular passageway, and faintly illuminated by dim lights glowing from regularly-spaced bulkheads.

Meanwhile, the badass man with a chainsaw watches in a cool manner from a corner of the room, where he has somehow managed to set himself comfortably leaning against the wall, despite being in zero-G.

!rorak
2008-01-28, 03:12 PM
Room pressure seemed okay, or else they would be dead already. Tal eased himself into the next room and looked around for any sign of something useful-the cockpit, the engine room, cafeteria or food storage, even.

Search[roll0]

!rorak
2008-01-28, 07:51 PM
Well, S--t.

Aeti
2008-01-28, 09:17 PM
What a load of complete useless ruffians.

"ancay anyone understand emay?
...

...excellent."

OOC- so I've decided that latin should be a lighter version of green, just so everyone isn't completely confused by sentences like " ice is excellent"

Fortinbras looks around to see what everyone is doing.

[roll0]

Aeti
2008-01-28, 09:41 PM
OOC - haha. I totally wasted a 20, and *click* Rorak over there has already resumed his trend of rolling 1s constantly. Not a good sign.

Gowron
2008-01-28, 10:57 PM
Leathered ears perk at the sound of the dead language. "Quit your mumbling boy, enunciate clearly!" scolds the venerable lady.

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-28, 11:53 PM
David stares out of the porthole, trying to distinguish anything that looks like a space station out of the black. It makes him dizzy, and he stops after a little while.

Damn this zero g

"Hey Tal'vere! You know stuff about mech and the like, can you make fixing the gravity a priority?"

David pushes off in the general direction of the door, taking care to travel as far from the man with the chainsaw as possible.

[roll0]

!rorak
2008-01-29, 12:37 AM
"I don't think so," Tal'vere said, seriously. "Life support's first. Then engines, because if whoever attacked the station decides we're worthy pickings we'll die if we can't get away. Then guns, if this junkbucket--" one of Tal'vere's hands coiled into a fist and slapped uselessly against the wall--"even has any. Then gravity. Sorry."

If Tal'vere had more social tact, he might have realised that mentioning the high chance of an imminent, painful death in the vacuum of space was probably a bad thing to say in the presence of four complete strangers that had just only barely survived an all-out attack, especially when one of those strangers carried a chainsaw around like a favorite toy. As it was, he pushed off the door and sent himself moving excrutiatingly slowly down through the circular corridor, keeping an eye out for doorways to his left and right.

Tal took out his gun and checked it was loaded. No more surprises. He'd had enough of those today for the rest of his life.

Aeti
2008-01-29, 12:47 AM
Green eyes flashed at the reprimand from an old lady. Old bat, Fortinbras thought. But if my life has taught me anything, it's that people just beg to be exploited.
Why don't one of you fine gentlemen open that door, so we can see what else this loodybay hipsay has in store for us. Oh, never mind, the door is open. Well, get a move on, would you lot?

He looked for something to sit down upon, or, failing that, somewhere to get comfortable while others did the work for him.
Spot- 1d20+2
Move in Zero G (trying to get comfortable on chair or wall or whatever) 1d20+1

Aeti
2008-01-29, 12:48 AM
OOC- I mussed up my code, and when I went back to fix it, the dice rolls didn't work. The first one was a 3, and the second, a 7. :smallfrown:

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-29, 01:18 AM
David looks over at the older man.
I don't like him very much
He approaches the doorway and makes his way into the other room.
[roll0]
Looking for pretty much anything.

jm_jazzman
2008-01-29, 01:50 AM
Affixed to the side of the tubular hallway, Tal'vere finds a plastic tile with a map printed on it. Rotating himself to gain a better look, he sees what appears to be a diagram of the ship, marked in a language that he cannot understand.

http://www.freewebs.com/growingyourice/ship%20map%201.JPG
The squares are not 5-foot squares. The red dot is the room you figure you started in.

The red markings on the map seem to correspond with the pressure doors, of which only the left one in the passage is open.

Fortinbras fails to find a comfortable place to rest, as he is not nearly badass enough for such a feat. Instead, he watches as David floats out of the room and stops himself against the opposite wall next to Tal'vere and the map.

Alrighty, I have a few notes for you guys at this point.

1. Please do not make a post in the IC thread for the sole purpose of commenting on your dice rolls (even if it is in a spoiler). This can be done in the OOC thread. For the most part, I'd like to try and keep any OOC comments here somewhat relevant (Aeti's note on colours for languages is perfect). I'm sorry that my formatting example in the OOC thread did not really convey this point. But yeah, you guys can rant and rave about whatever in the other thread, let's try to keep this one clean and flowy.

2. Remember to mark OOC comments as being OOC. They aren't the only things that can be put in spoilers.

3. Please remember that I am rolling for checks with non-obvious outcomes (Search, Spot, Listen, etc.) where the level of success is not immediately evident to the character. I ignore rolls you guys make on these checks and substitute my own. Listing your modifier next to the skill in a spoiler instead of rolling is fine (and appreciated!).

4. Keep in mind that previewing or editing a post will void the roll. If this happens, just post and label your roll in the OOC thread (unless you guys are lazy and want me to just make it for you at that point... let me know in OOC thread). I'll be checking there whenever I see a voided roll here. Although I encourage good spelling, a misspelled word is probably less trouble than a reroll.

5. I know that sometimes there may be long stretches without me posting, and I'm sorry. I do want to post as much as I can to keep things moving. However, in the event that I'm absent for a while, try not to post too much without me showing up to give results from checks and whatnot. Otherwise, we could get some wicked lag issues going on.

Sorry for my uptight GM rant:smallwink:

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-29, 01:54 AM
David immediately heads to the left and through the open pressure door.

spot modifier +6

jm_jazzman
2008-01-29, 01:59 AM
David floats into the passage. He sees five manual doors on his right hand side, with another hall branching off just before them. There are smears of blood on many of the surfaces here, including the light doors, pressure doors, and the walls. A few spherical drops linger in the air.

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-29, 02:04 AM
David pulls out his Glock and thumbs the safety off.
I really hope whatever was bleeding is dead now

"Hello? Is there anyone in here? Do you need assistance? Show yourself if you can hear me!"

David steadies himself against a wall just before the pressure door.

listen modifier = 3
spot modifier = 6
[roll0]

jm_jazzman
2008-01-29, 02:18 AM
David's words seem to fall dead against the cold bulkheads. He neither sees nor hears another living being, but notices that the blood seems to make a trail to the pressure door at the far end of the passageway.

Gowron
2008-01-29, 02:18 AM
Attempting to catch up to Tal, Granny claws down the passageway.

Upon reaching him, she looks towards* the boy. "Be a dearie and lead old granny around the ship, would you?" Granny orders.

The rickety construct thrusts a bony arm into his hands, a watery smile playing over her dusty features.

*She is in fact looking at a space two feet from where Tal is floating, but it is easily induced that she is trying her best to look AT him.

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-29, 02:25 AM
David pushes himself lightly over to the light manual door directly in front of him. He tries to open it.

Hmm. Blood in the pressure door. I'd best let the mech take a look at the door before opening it. Could be a bulkhead's blown

"Hey! Whoever can open doors, I've got blood down here, hurry up will ya? Could be there's our ticket to salvation back here!"

jm_jazzman
2008-01-29, 02:30 AM
The door opens easily inward for David. He finds himself in a small room with a space bed. The walls here are all soft, and there is a large plastic cabinet against the wall opposite the bed.

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-29, 02:35 AM
"Looks like living quarters down this end. Could be there's someone alive around here."

David searches the room
search modifier = 0

thisnamedoesntf
2008-01-29, 02:45 AM
Hm, everyone is leaving. Daisy's good company, but this place kind of creeps me out...

Daggit pushes himself off the wall in an attempt to float out through the door.
move in zero g=0

jm_jazzman
2008-01-29, 02:53 AM
David yanks open the cabinet doors to find an assortment of mundane personal items; clothing, bad novels, a few framed photographs of family and/or friends, and a small toiletries kit.

Everyone else hears a muffled *WHACK!* as Daggit tumbles out into the hallway... in a particularly badass fashion.

thisnamedoesntf
2008-01-29, 03:13 AM
Daggit picks himself up. Or tries to. The net result is sort of a slow tumble in a circle.

Where's gravity when you need it...

Daggit looks around. His eyes narrow slightly as he sees the blood on the walls, and with a smooth motion he swings the chainsaw off his back and holds it ready in one hand. He sees one of the men from the previous room disappearing through a door with a pistol in hand, and commences a wild tumble to join him.

move in zero-g=0

jm_jazzman
2008-01-29, 03:34 AM
Daggit spins wildly as he flies down the dark hallway, completely missing the entrance to the small room where David is searching, and crashes into the circular pressure door at the end of the corridor.

Collecting himself, he floats slowly (and badass-ly) this time back towards the open door and pulls himself to it, where he sees David sorting through a closet full of ugly floating shirts.

!rorak
2008-01-29, 08:41 AM
"Stay together," called Tal'vere. He reached out and grabbed Mrs. Treadsworth's arm, then looked down to where David had gone. Looks like pressure doors are in red and manual doors are in blue. So brown is...

Tal'vere realised they needed to secure the ship before he started worrying about this. He pushed himself off to go towards the crew quarters Zipp had found, with the intention of checking the next quarters over, and repeating this until they knew for sure no one was waiting for them.

move in zero-g: +5
OOC: Normally I wouldn't make this check just for moving around, but the fact that I'm now moving perpendicular to major surfaces and carrying an octogenarian around with me adds a special kind of difficulty to this.

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-29, 02:30 PM
David sorts through all of the personals in the room.

So there WERE people on the ship, bet that blood belongs to a friendly. Well screw it. I've got a gun, and I'll go find out

David pushes back out to the pressure door and nearly runs head into the man with the chainsaw.

"Umm... Hello?"

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-29, 02:41 PM
David sees Tal'vere and Mrs. Treadsworth coming down the corridor.

"Hey, can you open the door at the end of the hall, there's blood leading into it. There could be friendlies in there."

[roll0]

Aeti
2008-01-29, 07:24 PM
Bloody hell this place is creepy,Fortinbras thought with a shudder. Maybe I should stay with them instead of waiting here...

I push off a wall and try to stay with the group.

!rorak
2008-01-29, 07:32 PM
[roll0] opposing diplomacy check.

!rorak
2008-01-29, 07:49 PM
David was right. Even from his vantage on the far end of the corridor Tal'vere could see minute droplets of blood spinning endlessly in the zero-g. As he watched them, for a moment he was back on the Sellsword, in the middle of one of Captain Meolder's personal favorites of fighting drills, zero-g knife sparring, and it was his blood that had been left out and forgotten. The memory was eerily dreamlike, and Tal'vere could feel the blade in his hand, the cut across his forehead that would later become a small scar. Tal's knife hand tightened around the hilt--

And grasped nothing. The memory vanished and Tal'vere was back here. I have got to find a doctor, get that 'total recall' **** out of my head. This is getting stupid.

"Uh. Sure, David. I was going to check the crew quarters first, but sure."

OOC: I was going to do this only if my anti-dip. check was lower than Dave's roll, but I kind of want to just follow the blood anyway. Everybody disregard the previous roll (dammit wasted a 19).

jm_jazzman
2008-01-29, 09:26 PM
Tal'vere finds a latch that allows him to easily yank the unpowered pressure door open. On the other side he can see the inside of a vertical shaft, smeared with a trail of blood that leads upwards.

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-29, 09:51 PM
David makes his way over to the now open pressure door. He looks up the shaft.

spot=+6
listen=+3

jm_jazzman
2008-01-29, 10:24 PM
The square-shaped shaft rises for about 30 feet. It is well-lit, and David needs a few moments for his eyes to adjust to the brightness. There are two other pressure doors, one near the very top and the other about halfway up. There is more blood here, floating in small, marble-sized balls and smeared in places all along the sides, right up to the top door. David listens carefully, but the ship is eerily silent.

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-29, 10:34 PM
"I'll check this out. If you want to follow me, that's cool, but we should also figure out where the engine room is or if anyone else is on board."

David pushes up the corridor to the top most door. He tries to open it.

jm_jazzman
2008-01-29, 10:42 PM
David pulls at the bloody handle, but the door won't budge. There is a small control panel next to the door, but the lack of backlights under the red-stained buttons gives the impession that the panel is unpowered.

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-29, 10:50 PM
Well ****.

David pushes his way back to the bottom of the shaft.

"Door's unpowered and locked. Looks like someone doesn't want any visitors."

David goes out of the shaft and over to the first crew quarter relative to the room he woke up in. He tries to open the door.

Gowron
2008-01-29, 11:16 PM
"Mr. Lumberjack!" the old crone shouts to Daggit. "Start searching for a way to restore power to the ship, would you dearie?"

Ain't no door going to stop me. If we can't restore power, I'll coerce it into opening some other way.

Granny attempts to recall if she saw anything that could be fashioned into an improvised explosive.

Search = +1

jm_jazzman
2008-01-29, 11:46 PM
David opens the door and finds a room that looks very similar to the other quarters he explored earlier. There is a bed with straps, a large cubbord, and a few pictures of Martian landscapes affixed to the soft walls.

Meanwhile, Granny watches him, pondering the explosive capabilities of the ammo in his large pistol.

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-29, 11:52 PM
David searches the room.

search = 0

He then systematically opens and searches the remaining three rooms.

thisnamedoesntf
2008-01-30, 12:37 AM
Daggit snorts under his breath. "Sorry granny, I don't do electrics." He turns and starts opening the doors to another living quarter, and looks around inside.

search =0

!rorak
2008-01-30, 01:12 AM
Who needs electrics to open this door, anyway, Tal'vere thought wryly. One of us's got a chainsaw.

But if they damaged the ship now they would regret it if they ever got boarded, and they weren't going to run out of oxygen or time to search this place very soon--at least as far as he knew.

There was a manual door left of the bloodsoaked pressure hatch he had just finished with. Tal'vere turned to the others. "Hey, I'm opening this door over here up! So, you know," Tal'vere's voice faded into a mutter, "if you come back and there's blood everywhere and you can't find me, at least you'll know why."

He checked that his gun was out, and set to opening the door before he could decide not to.

!rorak
2008-01-30, 01:14 AM
It's the blue door just down/left of the red one on the far left. I thought that was where we were.

jm_jazzman
2008-01-30, 02:17 AM
Searching through the sleeping quarters (all of which are unlocked), David and Daggit find a number of personal items in the plastic closets, ranging from somewhat interesting to rather dull.

37 shirts
12 pairs of pants
1 yellow flashlight
1 set of red headphones
2 boxes of candy
1 book of poetry
6 toiletries kits
1 diary
2 refillable pens
1 digital picture frame
1 football
1 wallet
½ pack of space-sickness pills
1 translational dictionary (neither language is English)
1 six-pack of Power Thirst (Manana, in rocket cans)


Meanwhile, Tal opens up the door and finds a comfortable-looking yellow room with a table, 8 chairs, and a microwave oven attached to the top of a cabinet. This is the first room he has come across that conveys a definite sense of which direction is “up” in this gravity-less environment. The table and chairs are attached to the “floor”, and the chairs have seatbelts. There is a pressure door on the far side of the room.

!rorak
2008-01-30, 09:39 AM
"Hey, guys, there's another door in here. I'm gonna--ah, screw it." Tal'vere floated up, checked that he still had his pistol out, and opened the door.

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-30, 10:03 AM
David moves out of the living quarters, puts the safety back on his Glock and holsters it. He sighs.

"This is annoying. Although it sure does look like someone else should be around here. Several somones, in fact. I just hope that they understand whatever the hell everyone else spoke onboard."

David heads down the passage way opposite to the door that Tal'vere opened.

Maybe they'll be so very happy I rescued them that they'll offer to buy me another rifle.

David chuckles to himself. Fat chance.

!rorak
2008-01-30, 01:39 PM
I've posted an updated ship map at gmail so that we can all look at it as we move around. Feel free to add to it by saving it on your computer, adding more/different room titles, and re-uploading under the same name, or just downloading the old one and using that instead.

Aeti
2008-01-30, 06:50 PM
Fortinbras gave a sigh of relief as he saw people were still somewhat nearby. He headed over to one of the two he saw collecting stuff from the crew quarters.

I am fluent in many languages, may I see those books? The one that looks like a journal of some sort and whatever the other two are. Be quick man.

jm_jazzman
2008-01-30, 08:18 PM
Tal is able to pull the door open. The room is pitch black, save for a feeble glow that leaks in from the dim room behind him. All he can make out in the darkness are what look like large crates attached to the metal floor and walls, and some kind of large tank in the corner.

David floats slowly up the hall in the opposite direction, drifting by the two doors on his left that look similar to the ones of the quarters he had just finished searching.

Thanks for the labelled map Andy, good idea. I was worried people were starting to get lost. I don't know if you've been back there much lately, but the OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70658) is really the preferred place for posting that kind of stuff, though, and I'd suggest subscribing to it as well as this thread. Empty posts with nothing but a hidden OOC comment kind of detract from the flow of the story.

To Bill: I'm sorry, but no, it isn't that (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenger_II) kind of tank.

Aeti
2008-01-30, 09:26 PM
Fortinbras heads in and investigates the sleeping quarters.

jm_jazzman
2008-01-30, 09:31 PM
Fortinbras finds the same items that Daggit and David found earlier, still floating in the plastic closets.

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-30, 09:32 PM
"Hey gramps! catch!"

David throws the books in the direction of the merchant looking man.

David then heads down the passageway farthest away from the room that he woke up in, and he tries to open the first door.

Aeti
2008-01-30, 09:35 PM
These books look interesting,Fortinbras thought as he pocketed them. He also checked the wallet for anything interesting, and pocketed it as well.

After he ran back to grab a backpack, he put the flashlight, the space sickness pills,five shirts, two pairs of pants, the digital picture frame, a toiletries kit, the three books and the refillable pens inside. He left the rooms and went back into the main hallway.

Getting the books, he started to read through them.

!rorak
2008-01-30, 10:50 PM
I don't know how to post images here though.

Curious, Tal searched the room for a few minutes, trying to determine the use of the tank and the two crate-like protrusions.

Take 20 w/Search check, which is +1. 21. I figure anything out?

jm_jazzman
2008-01-30, 11:28 PM
The door opens, and David finds what appears to be a bedroom. Through the darkness, he can see that it is more spacious than the other quarters. However, this room looks like it has not been occupied. The bed appears as if it has not been slept on, and the doors and drawers on the large closet are open, revealing empty space.


Fortinbras looks through the wallet and discovers 48 Martian credits and a photo I.D. card for somebody named Erik Jensen, who appears in the picture as a man with receding brown hair and a great mustache. The rest of the card is written in an unfamiliar language, set across a white background set with a large red cross.

The first book, the translational dictionary, seems to be for the language on the card (or so it appears) and another language. The second language jumps out as being familiar to Aeti. There are many words that seem common to both English and Latin. Looking again at the cover, it suddenly strikes him as being very obvious.

Italiano
-
Bokmål
-
Italiensk

Maybe he just might be able to figure out enough Italian to decode some of this Bokmål language. Maybe...

The next book he looks at, the diary, also seems to be written in Bokmål. The rough script makes it difficult to distinguish a lot of the letters. The entries halt about three quarters toward the end of the book.

The final book is in English, a collection of famous 20th century poems with a worn leather cover.


Meanwhile, Tal'vere examines the cold metal room. The massive tank seems to be for storing water, and a small meter shows that there are about 200 liters inside, with a maximum capacity of 1200L. Below the meter, there is a small tap connected to a short hose.

The large crates turn out to be freezers, with piles of instant microwavable meals inside. There seem to be only 3 kinds of meals; Curry “chicken” with vegetables, Spaghetti with “meatballs”, and Breakfast Wraps. There is also a very small assortment of instant desserts.


Posting it on Google and telling us about it was definately the best thing to do.

I've posted an updated ship map at gmail so that we can all look at it as we move around. Feel free to add to it by saving it on your computer, adding more/different room titles, and re-uploading under the same name, or just downloading the old one and using that instead.
All I meant to say is that this post would fit better in the OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70658) rather than this one.

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-30, 11:36 PM
David leaves the untouched room and continues up the corridor, entering the last room on his left. He pauses for a moment before entering.

listen = +3
search = 0
If David can't hear anything he's going to go into the room and search it.

jm_jazzman
2008-01-30, 11:38 PM
David hears nothing from within the room, but when he tries to open the door, the handle won't turn. It feels like it's locked.

thisnamedoesntf
2008-01-30, 11:47 PM
Daggit returns to the door of the original room. He floats before the other unopened airlock. He glances back over his shoulder at the others.

Hm, they all look pretty busy. Oh well, guess I'll go exploring on my own. What's the worst that could happen?

With Daisy held at the ready, he attempts to open the airlock.

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-31, 12:01 AM
God dammit, another one? Oh well, this one doesn't seem to play any role in keeping the ship intact.

"Hey! Mr. Chainsaw man! I could use a little help over here."

jm_jazzman
2008-01-31, 12:01 AM
The door moves stifly, but Daggit pulls it open without a problem. There is a door immediately to his right, and through a small glass window he can see a row of neat beds along the far wall of the room on the other side. Before him, the round hallway continues to another pressure door, which is flanked on either side by two lighter doors. To his left there is a small open area. There are doors to two other rooms here, and the walls are decorated with pictures of space scenes.

thisnamedoesntf
2008-01-31, 12:21 AM
Daggit hears David yelling from around the corner and heads back towards him.

Hopefully whatever he's hollering about is more exciting than over here

He comes up alongside David. "The name's Daggit, by the way. And this," he hefts Daisy, "is Daisy."

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-31, 12:23 AM
"Pleasures all mine"

Oh god. He's crazy AND badass. Not a good combination

"Does Daisy go through metal?"

David motions towards the door and backs up a little bit.

thisnamedoesntf
2008-01-31, 12:29 AM
Daggit grins, and Daisy springs to life with a shuddering roar. Also a roaring shudder.

Move in zero-g [roll0]. Damage [roll1]. Also I'm attacking the door, not David. This time.

Aeti
2008-01-31, 12:30 AM
After setting the books carefully aside for later, Fortinbras headed over to the two who appeared were about to try to open a door.
I say, it's not going to be loud, is i- oh dear! he said, while he endeavored to back up.

jm_jazzman
2008-01-31, 12:33 AM
The force of the chainsaw on the door instantly flings Daggit into the surface above him. He rebounds and drifts down the passageway, flailing a roaring Daisy as he goes.

Aeti
2008-01-31, 12:36 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Fortinbras struggles away from the nut case.

thisnamedoesntf
2008-01-31, 12:37 AM
No damn door is going to get the better of me! Daggit growls.

He powers Daisy off and makes his way back over to the door. Who's up for round two? ROOAAAR shudder shudder

0g= [roll0] damage[roll1]

jm_jazzman
2008-01-31, 12:43 AM
Once again, Daisy bites into the door, this time slamming Daggit into a wall.

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-31, 12:44 AM
David winces.

At least he's determined... and I know first aid.

thisnamedoesntf
2008-01-31, 12:45 AM
YEEEARRGHH

0g [roll0] damage[roll1]

Aeti
2008-01-31, 12:46 AM
Fortinbras slowly drifts back up, until he is about 10 feet away. With his hands still over his ears, he looks around to see if there's any way to open this door besides applying tools of force.

spot - +2

jm_jazzman
2008-01-31, 12:47 AM
The results are predictable. Weeeeee! *slam!*

Also, Fortinbras notices a keyhole in the handle of the door.

Gowron
2008-01-31, 12:52 AM
My, what a racket!

Aeti
2008-01-31, 12:52 AM
Motioning Daggit away, Fortinbras looks through the keyhole.

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-31, 12:55 AM
David looks for Daggit

"Give it another shot, I'm sure you're almost through."

David pulls fortinbras away from the keyhole after he's had a look.

jm_jazzman
2008-01-31, 12:56 AM
Fortinbras can't see anything through the keyhole.

thisnamedoesntf
2008-01-31, 12:57 AM
Alright, one more try. I hate not having a firm surface under my feet...

0g [roll0] damage [roll1]

jm_jazzman
2008-01-31, 01:31 AM
With a hideous shriek, Daisy tears through the door's lock, sending bits of scrap and metallic dust floating through the air. Daggit is once more sent bouncing down the hallway. Now, the door is held shut by a final twisted remnant of the lock.

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-31, 01:34 AM
David tries to force the lock open

[roll0]

Aeti
2008-01-31, 01:35 AM
You can do it!

jm_jazzman
2008-01-31, 01:36 AM
Even despite the encouragement, David possesses insufficient strength to force snap the final piece of metal.

Aeti
2008-01-31, 01:38 AM
Or otnay!
Fortinbras heads back up the corridor incase the chainsaw goes off again.

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-31, 01:40 AM
David steps back and waits for Daggit to float his way back up the passageway. He draws his Glock and thumbs the safety off. He then gets into a firing stance that covers the door as it opens.

Using dead-aim feat. +2 to next attack roll

"I think you've weakened it enough that you can break it down, Daggit. I'll cover you."

thisnamedoesntf
2008-01-31, 01:45 AM
Daggit powers Daisy down and returns to do the door. Yeesh, took long enough. He braces himself into the corner and tries to knock down the door.

str check[roll0] +circumstance modifier for being badass. he breaks down doors all the time

Doctor Bloo
2008-01-31, 01:48 AM
David keeps his eyes and ears perked for anything out of the ordinary.

listen = +3
spot = +6

!rorak
2008-01-31, 09:07 AM
Well, it's not the engines, but it's still good to know we've got a water source. Tal'vere decided it was probably time to go back to the others--wherever they were--and put his hand on the crate to push himself through the door.

It vibrated. The whole room seemed to vibrate. It coincided with a wrath-filled scream and a sound that seemed to be trying to bore through his ears. Tal'vere winced, but had the presence of mind to finish the pushing movement and send himself out of the room.

What the hell?

As he hit the adjoining corridor wall it happened again. This time a cry of "Yeeaargh!" emanated down the corridor with it. Almost sounds like Daggit. Then the noise... Oh.

Were they under attack? But I'm not hearing anyone else. No gunfire. So what the h*** is going on?

When Tal'vere found them Daggit was sprawled in the middle of the air, body moving in a twisting circular motion that easily could have been caused by slamming a chainsaw against a door in zero-g. Even as he watched, Daggit hit the wall and bounced off, but unfolded himself in such a way that when his feet bounced against the floor his momentum was sapped and he ended up in a standing position in the middle of the corridor, feet off the ground, chainsaw held nonchalantly at his side even as it revved and growled.

That was insanely cool. Stupid, but cool. Tal'vere found he could not suppress a grin. He still had the presence of mind to pull out his gun, flatten himself against a wall, and cover the door while Daggit moved up to it and prepared to finish it off.

Ohhh. Oops. Sorry jazzman. Also, I'm having trouble knowing where everybody is. Where are we right now, can someome put it on the map?

jm_jazzman
2008-02-01, 12:48 AM
Daggit smashes the door in with his boot-clad foot. Pretty badass. Inside is a dark room, decorated with fine blue carpeting. There is a beautiful dark writing desk (with attached adjustable chair and built-in viewscreen), an extremely comfortable-looking space bed, a huge closet, and a number of smaller storage spaces, many with items of art affixed to them (including a miniature globe of the Earth, a small statue of a wolf, and a ship in a bottle). There are also various frames on the wall holding paintings, certificates, and plaques. In the far left corner, there is what appears to be another tiny room.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-01, 12:53 AM
David cautiously advances into the room. He inspects the plaques and the certificates.

"Hey Gramps, do you recognize any of these things? They could tell us just what the hell this ship is for."

As well as just what to expect 'round corners in the future

David then begins to search the room.

search = 0

!rorak
2008-02-01, 08:38 AM
Tal'vere wanted to swear. Three times he'd prepared himself for violence and each time the door had opened into a vacant, unthreatening room. If this keeps up I'm going to start losing my edge. I just want this over with.

At least they'd found something that could be useful. Tal'vere floated his way over to the desk.

the viewscreen IS a computer, right? Repair +5 or Use Computer +5, depending on whether it's powered or not. In either case, I take 20

Aeti
2008-02-01, 10:53 AM
Fortinbras studies the paintings on the wall for a moment, then goes over and searches the desk.

Appraise = +6 (Appraising the paintings, ship in a bottle, globe and the wolf statue)
Search = +8

I'm barely older than thirty, if you're referring to me as "gramps". As my famous family slogan goes, 'ouyay are a iganticgay idiot'

!rorak
2008-02-01, 03:07 PM
While he was working on the terminal, Tal'vere came to wonder why so many doors would be locked from the inside with no one in the rooms.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-01, 06:43 PM
David feels as if he should be insulted by fortinbras' last comment. The feeling soon passes though.

"Alright, if you object to gramps, gramps, what should I call your holiness?"

jeez. What a square.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-02, 02:14 AM
David reads over the plaques and certificates, and finds that most of them are written in English. There is a deep-space piloting license issued by the now-defunct Lunar government, a contract of purchase for an Estrella-class vessel, a number of awards of recognition from various scientific and medical organizations (most of which David is not familiar with), and what appears to be the ship's plaque, placed under a picture of the vessel. Although the plaque appears to be in Bokmål, it is easy to tell the name of the ship: Eir.
The picture (http://www.freewebs.com/growingyourice/Eir%5F.JPG)

As David searches the room, he finds a number of fine personal possessions: A large wardrobe of nice clothes (including a fine suit), a bottle of red wine (vintage 2217), a silver trumpet, a finely crafted chess set, and a small cactus in a pot. He also discovers that the smaller room in the corner is a small washroom.

Tal determines that the screen is that of a touch-screen computer. Seeing as most of the power on this deck has been non-existent save for the inadequately dim lighting, it's not much of a surprise that the screen won't turn on.

Fortinbras examines the art items, making a note in his mind of how much he thinks each of them are worth.
paintings = 40œ
ship in a bottle = 50œ
globe = 20œ
wolf statue = 80œ
œ = Orbital Earth dollars, a familiar currency that keeps its value throughout most of the inner solar system.
Then, digging through the desk, he finds stacks of papers written in Bokmål, a few old coins, a photograph of a man standing proudly in front of a ship, and, floating in the space behind one of the drawers, a compact storage drive attached to the touch-screen computer.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-02, 01:04 PM
David safties and holsters his handgun.

Guess that there's not much to be afraid about 'round here then.

"Looks like this is a science or medical vessel. I doubt that there's anyone else with weapons onboard. Sure would like to meet whoever was bleeding all over the place though. Anyone find anything even slightly useful?"

Aeti
2008-02-02, 07:00 PM
Fortinbras attempts to activate the touch screen computer, trying to find anything interesting or helpful.

Use Computer - [roll0]

Maybe there's something worthwhile on here. A list of contacts or merchants, or worthwhile trading towns..

jm_jazzman
2008-02-02, 08:03 PM
The computer won't turn on. How strange...

Aeti
2008-02-02, 08:29 PM
The once-merchant pockets the old coins and the storage drive. He takes out the stack of Bokmål papers from the desk, and begins to try and translate them, using the Italian-Bokmål dictionary as a guide.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-02, 09:59 PM
I need answers. Now.

David leaves everyone searching the room or looking at papers, and enters the upwards shaft towards the bloody pressure door. He braces himself against a wall, draws his handgun, and starts shooting the lock.

messed up the roll tags, rolled damage in OOC

jm_jazzman
2008-02-02, 11:30 PM
David squeezes 4 bullets into the door's lock, the noise hammering into his eardrums as it echoes in the enclosed shaft. The door creaks slowly open, revealing another dark, blood-stained hallway.

Suddenly, the lights turn on all accross the ship.

!rorak
2008-02-03, 12:35 PM
"Creepy," said Tal'vere. He turned back to the viewscreen to see if it would work now.
Take 20 on Repair or Use Computer, whatever's necessary or first. +5 on both.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-03, 02:13 PM
David heads down the hallway, following the blood.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-03, 06:15 PM
Tal turns the computer on, discovering that it is a familiar type. This is an inexpensive and simple communications screen, low on memory and mainly used for audio/video links, text and images. Within a few minutes, he is able to gain network access to a few other similar viewscreen computers around the ship. It seems as though there was once another computer or network on this ship that he could have potentially broken into from here, but it was now physically unaccessible. He also finds links to a number of log files which are located on the removable drive.

Meanwhile, David floats a small distance down the hallway, and then pushes himself up through an open door into a short vertical shaft above him, following the smears of blood. At the top of this shaft is another sealed pressure door. A small red light on the control panel seems to indicate that it is locked.

Aeti
2008-02-03, 06:33 PM
uresay, it orksway orfay imhay. Lemme try this data storage drive out, Fortinbras said, as he lightly tried to move Tal over and access the computer.

!rorak
2008-02-03, 06:57 PM
"What? Oh. Just pass it to me, I'll run it through." said Tal'vere, absently, eyes still on the viewscreen. D*** terminal system. Maybe there're some links to what was on that network, so I can know what I'm looking for next time around.

Aeti
2008-02-03, 08:35 PM
Fortinbras hands him the storage device.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-03, 08:58 PM
Tal'vere re-connects the drive below the desk. When he attempts to access the the files stored there, he is faced with a security screen.


Fingerprint scan: Please place right hand on screen.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
/ \
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
\ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ /



It takes him a few minutes, but Tal is eventually able to hack his way into the drive's contents and break the encryption on the files. He finds a number of large documents written in Bokmål, with embedded images that appear to be related to genetics. There are also 4 small text files written in English, which appear to be some sort of personal log.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-03, 09:12 PM
David looks at the door, trying to figure out how to unlock it. He listens for anything beyond the door, or in his area.

search = 0
listen = +3

jm_jazzman
2008-02-03, 09:16 PM
There is a plastic cover under the control panel that can be opened up, revealing a keypad. It looks like you need a code to open this door. David hears nothing.

thisnamedoesntf
2008-02-03, 09:27 PM
Daggit hears the gunfire from the bloody shaft, and makes his way over to it. Seeing that the door at the top is now open, he goes up the shaft and through the door, where he joins up with David.

Another locked door?

Daggit inspects the door, wondering whether he should introduce it to Daisy.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-03, 09:59 PM
David watches Daggit float down the hallway and turns to speak with him

"Oh, good thing you're here. I really didn't want to use any more bullets. Could you perhaps let daisy have a chat with Mr. Door here?"

David floats a little ways backwards. Away from the door.

thisnamedoesntf
2008-02-03, 10:26 PM
Let's see what we can do... ROOOOAAARR

I hope this doesn't take as much effort as that last door...

0g =[roll0] damage =[roll1]

!rorak
2008-02-03, 10:44 PM
Tal'vere pulled up the English files and read them, moving aside a bit so that Fortinbras could too.

I've started putting character-development paragraphs that don't advance the plot into spoiler brackets so you guys don't have to wade through it.

As he did he tried to ignore the cold dread moving in the pit of his stomach.

Bloody scientists. The DNA-related pictures had stirred memories he thought he'd finally managed to forget when he'd joined up with the Sellsword. Before he could stop it, his mind had already formed a theory about what had happened on the Eir:

The entire situation was d***ed weird. Hallways smeared with blood, without a trace of weapons fire? An entire ship left locked down, drifting?

Well, other than the lack of weapons fire that was easy enough to dismiss as raider work, and maybe the bodies had been moved or maybe most of the crew had been taken alive to be sold as slaves, but if that was what had happened why the heck hadn't they taken anything? The entire ship should have been looted twice, sitting out here like this.

What if it hadn't been raiders? What if there'd been scientists doing something on this ship, something that had to do with gene research? What if they'd created something? Worse yet, what if they had altered someone like they had him? What if--

Tal'vere turned away abruptly from that train of thought and tried to concentrate. Not the time or place. Put it out of mind.

But before he did, and not for the first time, Tal'vere cursed the ones that had changed him back on the colony, and prayed silently to whoever was listening that the life the slavers had given them was painful indeed. Not like it mattered. Couldn't change the past. Could only remember.

And after they'd altered him, Tal'vere remembered everything. Everything, far too well.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-03, 10:52 PM
Daggit raises Daisy above his head with both hands, and then plunges the biting teeth of the roaring chainsaw into the heavy door. A terrible noise rebounds around the deck as the door is crumpled and chewed apart, bits of metal flying about and being lodged in the wall and Daggit's badass leather jacket.

The door has not been completely opened yet, but there is now a gap wide enough to see through. From this angle, however, all that can be seen is a small porthole set in the ceiling of the room above, affording a narrow view of some of the stars outside.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-03, 11:33 PM
"I think Daisy needs to do a little more persuation."

David grins despite the adrenaline pumping through his veins.

thisnamedoesntf
2008-02-03, 11:57 PM
One more try ought to do it.

0g=[roll0] damage=[roll1]

jm_jazzman
2008-02-04, 12:17 AM
As Daggit cuts into the door again, he finds himself unable to brace himself properly this time. Daisy's torque slams him into a wall of the shaft, causing him to rebound and land on the still-spinning blade. Vibrating balls of blood ooze their way out from a large gash above Daggit's left knee.
Take 4 points of damage

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-04, 12:26 AM
"Well ****. That's a lot of blood. Okay. hold still. I'll help you with that."

David shuts off Daisy, and then takes off his backpack and takes out one of the first-aid kits. He swabs the wound and applies a bandage to the cut.

move in zero g = +2 if necessary
[roll0]

jm_jazzman
2008-02-04, 12:49 AM
David treats Daggit's wound well, and the bleeding is stopped.
Daggit regains 2 HP

thisnamedoesntf
2008-02-04, 01:14 AM
Ow, that kind of stung. Daggit glares at the door. You're in trouble; now it's personal!

0g=[roll0] damage=[roll1]

jm_jazzman
2008-02-04, 01:37 AM
The door is quickly reduced to tiny floating pieces. Daisy purrs.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-04, 01:42 AM
David motions Daggit to wait at the door for a second, and he enters the room, weapon drawn, looking for more bloodstains to follow.

spot = +6
[roll0]
[roll1]

jm_jazzman
2008-02-05, 12:09 AM
David

David floats silently through the opening where the door once stood, stopping himself gently against the ceiling of the room above him. He finds himself in the back of a circular room with a large view screen at the opposite side, and small portholes spaced around the wall and ceiling. There are four large chairs here. The biggest sits in the middle of the room, facing away from David and flanked by on either side by two other chairs which are turned outward toward computer stations in the wall. The final chair is nearest to the far side of the room, with a large control panel stretched out before it. David's view is obscured by a cloud of blood, but there is no mistaking the shape of a body in that chair, slumped over the controls.


Fortinbras

Fortinbras continues to flip between the translational dictionary and the papers he found in the desk. Despite having no training in Italian, he feels that he is doing a rather good job of deducing the meanings of these words from his knowledge of Latin. Occasionally, even one of the Bokmål words seems related to the English meaning he has guessed for it. After some time, he has penned out his best interpretation of the first paper, which appears to be a letter dated about 2 months ago.
Greetings, Captain.
We found location to trade of for you the _?_ of virus of giant capacity Knowing 98% it works on time, it calls it super-_?_. It is to be very usable for maximum therapeutics in the genes. The tests finished past 1 year. It was born in HTETP-376, and new victory is very surprised by the quickly. Call to Erde-2, in the belt of asteroids. The woman is Gaia Li, she is top finder there. The cost is to barter. Her population might be to help also. Good luck!
- Jan


Tal'vere

Meanwhile, Tal reads through the English files from the removable drive. They appear to be the personal log files of the captain. The English isn't perfect, but is quite understandable. There is no indication of why there only seems to be the four most recent files here. Most of the content is rather mundane, but there is one subject that grabs Tal's attention. There are many references to a patient who constantly needed to be under careful watch (perhaps even restraint or quarantine?). It is stated that the patient often refused food as well as medical treatment, but in recent weeks the crew has been on a mission to retrieve a cure of some kind. The last log mentions a forthcoming docking at Qamar Station, where the crew could finally get some leave and restock the ship with some more appealing food.
The Qamar Station is where you all were when scary stuff went down, before you woke up here.


EVERYONE

A great screeching siren suddenly pounds into your eardrums, and bright red lights flash violently throughout the ship.

“Warning! hull breech detected. Activating emergency pressure doors. Warning!...”

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-05, 12:23 AM
David moves over to the body in the chair, ignoring the sirens. He pulls out a med kit and begins checking for signs of life.

And I thought daggit was bleeding badly.

[roll0]If he's alive I'm stabilising him, if not, then I guess I'm going to try to revive him, if at all possible.

David then yells to Daggit.

"I've got a body here, and this seems to be the cockpit. Go tell Tal'vere to come up here, and then go get the crash kit and the space suits out of those lockers and come back here, okay?"

jm_jazzman
2008-02-05, 12:33 AM
The pale, blood-soaked body is not breathing and has no pulse. This man definately died very recently.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-05, 12:36 AM
David holsters his handgun, pulls the man out of the chair, braces himself against something, and starts CPR.

I hope he stays "alive" enough for the crash kit to have SOME effect

Aeti
2008-02-05, 12:38 AM
AAAAAAAAH! What the HELL was that?! Is everyone still here? That chainsaw noise I heard wasn't some mentally deficient person using a chainsaw on the hull, was it?

Fortinbras begins hyperventilating.

thisnamedoesntf
2008-02-05, 12:55 AM
Daggit turns and heads back to the other level as fast as he can. Once he enters the shaft, he begins hollering Hey Tal'Vere! Get up here, and bring the med kit! We found controls and a body!

Aeti
2008-02-05, 01:01 AM
Fortinbras Mayinponder listens to the blaring sirens for a moment, thinks about what a hull breach means, and turns white. I..I think I'll go grab one of those suits..
He hurriedly begins to head back to the locker with the space suits.

!rorak
2008-02-05, 01:14 AM
Tal'vere headed out of the office, elbowing his way past Mrs. Treadsworth as he did. The octogenarian had been still for some time, staring aimlessly at the wall, and Tal'vere was beginning to worry.

Tal pushed off the wall and sent himself down the corridor as fast as he dared, all the while a mental inventory assembling itself for perusal. Hull breach. No working spacesuits. No patching kit. No clue where it is anyway. Frak frak frak frak frak.

He yanked the crash kit out of its holder, stowed it in the pack, and sent himself flying back down the hall again towards the shaft. His hands grabbed the rails and pulled at a speed beyond conscious thought, and Tal flew up and into the cockpit. It would have been more dramatic if he hadn't forgotten about the ceiling in his rush.

"Ow!" Tal'vere resisted the urge to rub his head where it had hit, maybe even check for blood, and tossed the kit at David instead. Tal'vere looked around, and saw the body.

"Frak... David, what'd you do, anyway?"

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-05, 02:42 AM
David looks up from performing CPR and grabs the crash kit.

"Hmm? Oh. This wasn't me. I found him like this. This seems to be the cockpit, maybe you can fly from here, or at least figure out where the hell we are."

David pulls out the shock paddles, attaches them to the body, and begins charging the defibrillator. He grabs a bag of plasma from the med-kit and starts a drip.

Well, if he didn't bleed out, This should wake him up.

"CLEAR"

[roll0]

jm_jazzman
2008-02-05, 09:07 AM
"We happen to have bigger problems." Tal'vere circled around the cockpit, looking for a computer system.

Spot check +0, maybe with a couple points circumstance modifier because I know what I'm looking for?
Also, when I find the system, I Use Computer (dice roll, not take 20) to open a ship diagnostic and identify where the leak is.

[roll0] for Use Computer if I find it, just to speed things up.

!rorak
2008-02-05, 09:11 AM
It should say Rorak where it says Jazzman. Oops.
Dunno how I even did that.

Aeti
2008-02-05, 06:28 PM
Fortinbras lapses into unconsiousness before he gets two meters as a result of his hyperventilating. Several small droplets of drool pool out of his mouth.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-06, 01:27 AM
The defibrillator whines and buzzes, but the patient does not gain a pulse.

Tal quickly jumps to the nearest computer terminal and begins his work, but something is wrong. The physical devices here seem to be functioning (screens, control panels, etc.), but they're not getting any input or response from the ship's computer. The situation is the same at the other computer station.

"Warning! hull breech detected. Activating em-"
Suddenly, the voice cuts out, but the flashing lights continue.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-06, 01:29 AM
David recharges the defibrillator.

Damn you! I need answers.

"CLEAR"

[roll0]

jm_jazzman
2008-02-06, 01:41 AM
*ZAP*

David still doesn't get a response.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-06, 09:58 AM
"CLEAR"

[roll0]

!rorak
2008-02-06, 08:43 PM
What, nothing? Tal'vere almost hit the keyboard in his frustration. Instead he stared into space for half a second and turned back to the computer. There might be records of the ship design left in the computer that showed where vital systems, were, where pressure doors were, maybe even the location of a memory core that sensors were still wired to.

Use Computer: [roll0] for anything useful pertaining to the ship schematics and design.

!rorak
2008-02-06, 08:44 PM
Can I use action points on this if I get nothing?

jm_jazzman
2008-02-06, 11:17 PM
The paddles hum and buzz again, and still the bloodied man isn't revived. The crash kit's power has now been expended.

Tal begins to dig through the data on the computer. Although it is obviously just a terminal, with most of the actual computing being done on a main computer somewhere else, he does manage to find some useful information. Buried within the program files for the diagnostics system is a list of many important rooms and systems, listed by deck location. Deck 1, where everyone woke up, is designated for living space, working space, and storage. Deck 2 is where the heavy-duty systems such as power, heating, cooling and recycling are located. Deck 3 holds the ship's computer, an emergency back-up computer, engineering control, an in-flight airlock and a host of small backup systems. The main engines themselves are located in the stern area of the ship, which is not divided by decks.

!rorak
2008-02-06, 11:38 PM
"Daggit! Time to go exploring. I think I might have some work for Daisy." Tal'vere pushed himself out of the cockpit and into the adjoining hallway. Without waiting, he began to move down the corridor, looking for doorways.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-07, 01:37 PM
"****"

David sits back, covered in blood, and throws the crash kit against the wall. He walks over to a chair, staring at the body for a while.

There goes my best chance of getting out of this situation. And I don't even have my rifle. I'm sure this would have turned out better if I had my rifle.

After spending several minutes musing over the man he could not save, David stands up and leaves the control room.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-08, 05:08 PM
David descends from the bridge as the crash kit ricochets noisily around the room. Down in the hallway, he sees Tal floating toward an open pressure door set ahead in the bare passageway.

On the other side of this door, Tal finds a closed pressure door to his left, a short passage to his right, and the hallway continuing forward to end in a closed pressure door.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-08, 07:29 PM
David goes to the room that he woke up in, and takes out a space suit.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-08, 07:47 PM
Red lights continue to pulse from all over as David makes his way down to deck 1. When he enters the room, the bright flashes are amplified by the mirror-covered wall. From the locker, David grabs one of the old space suits. It is slightly dusty, and looks like it has seen better days.

thisnamedoesntf
2008-02-08, 09:10 PM
With one last glance at the body, Daggit turns and exits the room. He follows silently after Tal. As he moves through the doorway he bumps his leg against the side of the door, and winces as a shock of pain rushed through his injured knee.

At least the lack of gravity makes that gash less of hindrance. Can't say much else good about it, though...

!rorak
2008-02-09, 03:23 AM
He looked back and forth between the passageway and the closed door. Could be there's an open door down there, that I won't need to get through the others...

Eh, frak it. I'll do this systematically. Tal pulled himself over to the pressure door and looked it over, hoping that the restoration of power would make it easier to hack.

[roll0] for Use Computer.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-09, 07:52 PM
Floating down from the bridge to the hallway, Daggit sees Tal'vere working at the control panel of a large pressure door. David has disappeared.

Tal discovers that the lock on this door is controlled by more than just a password or code, something that he'd normally be able to deal with. Although this not beyond his abilities, he needs some kind of computer in order to overcome this redundant locking system and electronically force this door to open.

Aeti
2008-02-09, 08:13 PM
As David goes past, Fortinbras wakes up with a shout, quickly quietened. Seeing David going towards the suits, he follows and takes one as well.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-09, 09:38 PM
David takes the suit back to the control room, where he manhandles the body into it. He then goes back to the first level, and heads past the room he woke up in, passing through the pressure door.

Aeti
2008-02-10, 05:12 PM
Fortinbras stares at the dead man now inside a suit, looks around to see if anyone is watching, and searches his body.

[roll0]

!rorak
2008-02-10, 05:24 PM
Tal shrugged to himself and went to check the door at the end of the hall, while he thought about whether he'd seen any wiring that he could use to hook the door up to the terminals back in the cockpit.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-10, 09:49 PM
Fortinbras tries to squeeze his hands into the space suit to find anything useful or of value, but is unable to grasp anything. Meanwhile, two dead, half-open eyes stare up at him, the dead man's face framed by a sticky mess of blood-clotted hair.

As Tal floats, he remembers seeing a card computer in one of Fortinbras' pockets when he was collecting items from the crew quarters earlier. He reaches the far end of the hall, where he notices two things. The pressure dial on the control panel shows that there is no atmosphere on the other side of this door. Also, there is a second door here on his right that he hadn't noticed before. This one doesn't appear to be locked.

As David floats into the small, almost room-like space on the other side of the pressure door, he suddenly finds his course shift ever so slightly, sending him drifting to the left.

Tal'vere feels a similar tug pulling him away from this newly-discovered door. The ship has just acquired a new velocity.

!rorak
2008-02-10, 10:32 PM
What the hell? A course change? Probably not good, Tal decided. Nobody in his little group would have been able to do that and if someone else was steering the ship for them it probably meant they were either heading for a gravity well or they had company.

All the more reason to get the ship booted up, I guess. He made his way back down to the deck he figured everyone else was on.

"Fortinbras? Hey. You've got a computer, right? Can I borrow it?"

Aeti
2008-02-11, 12:19 AM
Fortinbras goes a sickly colour at the dead man's face, and gets a queasy feeling in his stomach. Pressing on anyways, he struggles the dead man out of the suit, throws up in a corner, and searches him.

[roll0]

When the man, whatshisname, Tal or something? asks for his computer, Fortinbras looks up.

I'm not letting that computer out of my sight, it has too much personal information to be just passed around. I'll come with you when I've finished searching this guy.What do you want it for?

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-11, 12:58 AM
David collects himself from the unexpected acceleration and moves to the pressure door directly to the right of the one he just stepped through. He tries to open the door.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-11, 02:07 AM
Searching the body, Fortinbras finds 30 Martian credits in one pocket, 10œ in another, a key-card on a lanyard around his neck and a small old-fashioned USB 5.0 memory stick. It looks like the man died from a great blow to the back of his head, the source of all the blood. The room is now a mess, with 2 space suits and an open crash kit floating about through spheres of blood, vomit, and bloody vomit.

David opens the light door and sees a large room filled with beds, examination tables, cabinets, privacy curtains, and what appears to be an assortment of medical diagnostic machines. The layout of this room suggests that it is designed to be used with gravity in effect.

!rorak
2008-02-11, 10:14 AM
"Sure, why not. There's a locked door down that hall over there, I need a computer to open it." Tal'vere noticed the crash kit's orbit was in a collision course with a rolling brownish-red mess of bodily fluids he didn't want to think about, and grabbed it out of the air.

"Eugh. The frak happen down here? Did someone throw up?"

Aeti
2008-02-11, 11:06 AM
His stomach was churning, though there was nothing left to expel. Fortinbras quickly pockets what he finds and exits the room as fast as possible.

otNay ymay aultfay..

!rorak
2008-02-11, 08:24 PM
It didn't take Tal or Fortinbras long to reach the door, and Tal set to work on it.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-12, 12:36 AM
Tal'vere rips open the door's control panel and wires in the card computer. He pokes around the system for a little while, noting that this door can only be opened when three conditions are met: The correct pass code is given, the air pressure on the other side is at 1 atmosphere, and a third condition controlled by some kind of electronic device on the other side.

He had already cracked the pass code on his first attempt, and the pressure gauge showed normal pressure on the other side. After a few minutes of coding and hacking, he is able to bypass the third locking override. The door unlocks with a buzz and a click.

There is a short hallway before Tal'vere, with a similar door standing open at the far end. On the other side, the inside of a large in-flight airlock can be made out. There is a set of lockers here, similar to the ones on deck 1 but black and less battered. It is suddenly apparent to Tal that he is now in a redundant airlock, for safety, with the second door serving as the 3rd trigger for the one he had just forced open. Normally, neither of these doors could be opened unless the other was shut.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-12, 01:09 AM
David searches through the medical center.

Take 20 search

jm_jazzman
2008-02-12, 01:27 AM
After spending several minutes looking around the large machines and drawers, David finds several simple medical tools such as stethoscopes, needles, bandages, disinfectants, and a large variety of other items that might be found in a doctor's office back in 21st century earth. There are no drugs (save for low-grade pain meds and the like) or surgical tools here, but there is a crash kit.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-12, 01:30 AM
Making a mental note of the useful contents in the room, David leaves the room through the door he entered it in, and continues across the corridor to the door on his left hand side. He tries to open it.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-12, 01:43 AM
The door opens. For whatever reason, this room is very dark inside, lit only by the bright red strobing of the emergency lights. There are what appear to be several tall refrigerators here, with glass doors revealing what must be hundreds of rows of jars and bottles, all held neatly in place by rubber clasps. The labels on each of these containers are glowing as if they are being illuminated by black light.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-12, 01:53 AM
Okay. This is really freaky

David makes a careful search of the room, trying to guess at it's purpose. He inspects the refrigerators especially.

Take 20 search.

Aeti
2008-02-12, 01:54 AM
"Maybe you should check those lockers and see if anything useful is there," Fortinbras says as he took back his computer. He added an observant and perceptive comment: "We are now in a redundant airlock, for safety, with the second door serving as the third trigger for the one you just forced open. Normally, neither of these doors could be opened unless the other was shut."

Fortinbras quickly goes through his computer to make sure everything is ok, then puts it back in his pocket.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-12, 02:17 AM
As David inspects the room, he comes across drugs and medicines of every sort. There are pills, powders, gels, and solutions all in abundant supply. The refrigerators all have thermometers inside, each one with a different reading; some are freezing cold and some are at room temperature. They are all connected from the back by a tangle of wires and tubes that connect together at a large junction box near a servicing portal by the nearest right-hand corner in the room.

Looking more closely at the labels on the containers inside, David recognizes just a few drug names. Many of them are unfamiliar to him, and some are even written in other languages.

A startling, metallic *clank*, like a heavy item tumbling down suddenly resonates through the walls of the room. David can't tell where it came from.

!rorak
2008-02-12, 09:18 AM
No frak, Fortinbras. Gaaa, what did I do to end up with all these surfacers?

Take 20 search, +1.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-12, 10:02 PM
Tal'vere opens the lockers to find 2 space suits in good condition (with electromagnetic boots), a spacewalk tether, a space-worthy electronics kit, and a space-worthy digital camera. He can see the airlock room more completely from where he now stands. It is not very extraordinary, just a series of walls and doors, and a control station for operating the lock. The double-doors leading to the lock itself are closed, but the inside is visible through a transparent wall. A larger set of doors on the far side of the airlock is presumably the final barrier holding the cold emptiness of space at bay.

!rorak
2008-02-12, 10:43 PM
Tal'vere looked over the suits approvingly. These'll definitely come in handy when I get around to patching the hull breach. Still the wrong room though. Tal'vere wondered how many doors he would have to hack before finding the computer system.

He moved out of the redundant airlock, pocketing the electronics kit as he did, and moved for the heavy pressure door at the end of the hallway, carefully shutting the airlock door again as he did.

Aeti
2008-02-12, 10:52 PM
The exiled merchant turns on the digital camera to check if there are any pictures on it as he follows Tal out the door.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-13, 12:04 AM
David leaves the room, startled and a little creeped out. He goes over to the door opposite the room he was just in, and tries to open it.

Gowron
2008-02-13, 12:48 AM
Granny wakes from her power nap.

She floats leisurely through the ship, taking in the locations of rooms and their contents. Upon reaching the dead body, Granny licks her lips.

Ah, at least somethings gone right today.

Shiiiing

Granny begins to lovingly cut away the deceaseds fat deposits, carefully wrapping them in a bit of cloth she also cut away from the corpse, which is then placed in her large wicker handbag.

Wiping the katana clean, she sheaths the slender blade.

Shiiiip

Granny continues her meandering through the ship, on the lookout for a hotplate, sulfiric acid, nitric acid and lye. (Or any components that could be made into said reagents)

jm_jazzman
2008-02-13, 01:24 AM
With the electronics kit now in the backpack that Tal grabbed earlier to put all the stuff he was carrying in, he floats to the end of the hallway. In front of him is the pressure door with a small dial showing no atmosphere on the other side, and to his right is another door to a yet-unexplored room.

Fortinbras attaches his card computer to the camera and starts browsing through the pictures as they form on the dim screen. There aren't very many of them, and they all seem to be close-ups of indistinguishable parts of the ship. It's like some kind of really bad abstract art.

David pulls on the handle of this door, but it won't open. Trying again, harder, it takes him a few moments to notice the little atmospheric meter that reads zero atmospheres.

Granny doesn't find any of the materials she is looking for. Unfortunately, such things are not often left lying around a ship. Especially a fancy ship such as this.

!rorak
2008-02-13, 02:54 PM
Tal tried the door on his right.

Aeti
2008-02-13, 08:11 PM
Fortinbras carefully puts the camera into his backpack, so it doesn't get scratched.
OOC- If it doesn't have a case, he uses a shirt to wrap it. I took a couple from them lockers. ^^

A clean shirt, preferably. Otherwise there's really no point.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-13, 10:47 PM
The camera is large and heavy, set in a sturdy protective case, but there is still plenty of room in Fortinbras' large orange and black backpack. He stuffs it in easily as bright red lights continue to flash all around the ship.

Tal opens the door, and is met by a wave of heat and the foul smell of burnt chemicals and melted rubber. Inside is what looks to be a massive computer room. There are screens, keyboards, control panels and large banks of processors lining all the walls. The screens are all blank.

Aeti
2008-02-13, 10:54 PM
Fortinbras investigates the problem, using his computer-savvyness. I'm better than him at using computers anyways.

Gowron
2008-02-13, 10:59 PM
While partaking in the quest for making-things-explode, Granny finds herself in the medicinal storage room. She begins sorting through the stores, intent on finding some swag she can magic into large bangs.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-13, 11:01 PM
Fortinbras inspects the equipment and quickly comes to the conclusion that the cooling system here had failed somehow. All the processors have overheated and the resulting damage to the massive computer system is extensive.

Meanwhile, Granny finds a tray of boxes fixed inside one of the refrigerators near the back of the room. One of the boxes' labels draws her attention: Glyceryl Trinitrate Patches. There are also some other drugs here that contain elements and compounds which could be useful.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-13, 11:10 PM
David notices Granny go into the supply room while fiddling with the door. He heads in after her, and sees her going over the drugs.

"Umm... Hi. What are you looking for, in particular? Not much in here I recognize, but I suppose some of it could be useful if anyone gets hurt."

Dammit, I thought Tal was babysitting her. She's going to hurt herself if she stays in here too long. Too much to swallow accidentally.

Gowron
2008-02-14, 12:56 AM
"Oh, don't mind me dearie, I'm just placing a little something into the refridgerator." Granny takes the fat from her large wicker handbag, depositing it in the back of one of the refridgerators.

After checking the box of nitro packs to see if there's enough nitroglycerin contained within them to warrant extraction, Granny gives a satisfied grunt.

Donning her flowered apron, the aged woman clears a space to work with. She begins to open up the nitro packets, waiting for inspiration to rear its ugly head.

A lightly hummed rendition of Skip to Me Lou begins to emanate from the busy grandmother.

!rorak
2008-02-14, 01:24 AM
For a few seconds, Tal just stared at the mess. Then he ran his fingers through his hair and repressed the urge to swear. Even if I could recover some of the data from the drives it's not as if any of it'll be recent enough to tell us where the leak is.

This ship was beginning to really annoy him.

Tal'vere thought back to what he'd found in the airlocks. In a rare moment of helpfulness, his recall brought up a frozen image of the digital camera, clamped down tightly next to the spacesuits.

A space-worthy digital camera. Maybe they were keeping track of the leaks and damages on the hull with it. Tal frowned. Even if they had been, all it gave him was a list of possible leaks. It wouldn't tell him which ones actually needed patching, and more importantly didn't give him anything to patch them with.

Still, if we can seal off the rooms where the leaks are, assuming that hasn't already been done automatically, we could coast into a drydock and fix it there. And then have nothing to pay with when the bill came up.

It was a start, anyway.



Tal'vere shut the door to the wrecked computers and headed for the nearest area he hadn't checked out yet.

Aeti
2008-02-14, 06:22 PM
At the click of the door, Fortinbras gives a small jump, then quickly follows.

Would you please stop closing doors on me? You may be absentminded, but that's no excuse.

As they are going down the hallway, he informs Tal of the cooling system situation.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-15, 01:20 AM
Tal'vere and Fortinbras wander into the passage way opposite the airlock system. Down here, there are control panels, levers and valves, grouped into three labeled areas: Emergency Heating, Emergency Cooling, and Emergency Atmosphere. The emergency cooling board is has a list starting at "o|o primary valve" and then proceeding from "o|o valve 1" to "o|o valve 12". There is a little green light next to each of the valve names listed, except for "o|o valve 3", where the light is red.


All over the ship, the annoying red lights suddenly cease flashing.

OOC: Sorry, I totally forgot to mention that there was another door leading out of the computer room. Its pressure dial indicated zero atmosphere on the other side.


Also, the map is updated.

!rorak
2008-02-15, 02:47 PM
"Huh." Too distracted to realize the alarms had finally stopped, Tal'vere examined the section marked "Emergency Atmosphere", looking for any red lights.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-15, 04:02 PM
None of the lights are active on the Emergency Atmosphere board, or on the Emergency Heating Board.

After some thought and the dissection of some of the nitro patches, Granny comes to the conclusion that she currently just doesn't have the right tools or specific knowledge for making this medicine explode.

thisnamedoesntf
2008-02-15, 09:17 PM
Daggit floats around the ship, glaring darkly around and muttering to himself (or to Daisy, it's hard to tell). Every few minutes he stops glaring at the world around him and starts glaring at the gash in his knee. He seems to be doing a poor job of restraining himself from poking at it.

Bah, computers and ships and no gravity. And the only wench on board is old enough to be my brother's mother. Wait, that doesn't seem quite right. I need a drink, or several.

He seems to be becoming more restless and irritated by the minute.

!rorak
2008-02-16, 04:43 AM
Frak this. I'm going for a walk. There was nothing in the ship that looked at all helpful, and staring into hard space always left him feeling better for some reason. Maybe I'll see the leak while I do.

He went to the computer room first, though, just to make sure there was absolutely nothing he could recover. If they'd lost the computer core the ship could be crippled.

[roll0] for Repair, I guess, since the computers are offline and they're pretty damaged. Just trying to pull out/save any hard drives or data-storing equivalent left behind.

Then Tal went to the airlocks, pulled out one of the fresh space suits, and began to put it on.

!rorak
2008-02-16, 04:46 AM
"Hey, Fortinbras? I need that camera."

Aeti
2008-02-17, 01:45 AM
All right. What do you need it for? Fortinbras doesn't get the camera out yet, in case this person has some idea that will definitely get it broken.

!rorak
2008-02-17, 05:46 AM
"I'm going for a walk outside. It's got pictures on it that I think are of the outer hull surfaces that've leaked before."

Aeti
2008-02-17, 03:18 PM
Why should we care about hull leaks right now? It's obvious the atmosphere in here is not venting, so shouldn't we go get this 'Valve 3' back working? Somehow I doubt they'll put important emergency valves on the outside of the ship..

!rorak
2008-02-18, 12:43 AM
Tal'vere just stared at the bloody surfacer for a few moments.

"Uh. Fortinbras, if this ship is venting atmosphere, it's got to run out of air sometime. And it is leaking, just in case you missed the flashing red lights and the alarm bells. In fact, so far we've run into a ton of rooms that have all vented atmo, all disconnected from each other as far as we know, so they must have vented separately. We don't know where's going to vent next. It could be this room for all we know. What were you going to do with a digital camera anyway?" When he'd finished, Tal'vere exhaled sharply, a little shocked at himself. That had been a pretty major speech, for him. I'll be a frakking politician next.

Gowron
2008-02-18, 01:41 AM
After fiddling with the nito patches to no success, Granny shoves them back into their box in a frustrated fashion, putting them back where she found them.

Pish, I don't need any fancy patches to get my explosives... I'll do it the old fashioned way.

"You see dearie, back in my day we had to walk through a hard vacuum to get our reagents, with solar radiation, both ways!" Granny nods to herself, happy that she passed one of her pearls of wisdom to the younger generation; Momentarily forgetting her defeat at the nitro patches.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-18, 03:43 PM
"Yeah yeah. And you got water by breathing on sn... Reagents? What are you talking about?"

David stands uneasily in the room, slowly inching his way towards the door.

OH I SEE!! She's not senile, she's crazy! This day could get better any time now...

jm_jazzman
2008-02-18, 05:51 PM
Although the computer seems crippled beyond repair, Tal'vere does find a large unit for the backup of files. Judging by its size, it could potentially be a complete backup of the computer's memory.

Everyone hears a noise, a low, pulsing rumble.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-18, 06:13 PM
David bolts out of the room, without waiting for Granny's response.

"Please don't touch anything else in here, okay?" He says as he pushes himself out the door.

I think that I'll be trying out that last door in the shaft. Maybe these sounds are coming from there.

David heads up the upwards shaft to the unopened pressure door and tries to open it.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-18, 06:25 PM
The middle pressure door is locked. The little lights on the control panel blink at David mockingly.

Aeti
2008-02-18, 06:47 PM
At the rumbling sound, Fortinbras hesitates and looks nervous. What do you think that low, pulsing rumbling is? Doesn't sound good.. Unless it's the engine starting to work? Fortinbras says hopefully. He takes the camera out of his backpack and hands it to Tal.

Maybe we should call the others and ask if one of them got the engine back online.

!rorak
2008-02-19, 09:39 AM
"Dunno. Doubt it's anything good, and I really, really doubt any of them have enough experience in machines to get the engines back online. 'Specially since the cockpit controls are offline and there's no direct way to steer. Could be boarders. Could be we missed some really messed-up piece of machinery on this frakking derelict and it's about to blow. Like I said, I dunno." Tal found he was surprisingly calm. Guess I'm out of fear for the day.

At least I suddenly realized the computer's okay, though. Tal'vere turned back to Fortinbras. "Listen. You know what? You can keep the digital camera. But I want to borrow that card computer again. The memory in the computer core was okay, and I need some way of reading it. That computer's it. All right?"

Tal'vere headed for the computer room. As he did, he thought back to the possibly-irreparable damage he'd seen and wondered.


Need to know some things.
a) Will Tal be able to access the memory using the card computer without having to reactivate the cooling system, or would the memory storage overheat?
b) Since the processing power is apparently trashed, would it be possible to link up the terminals Tal and the others have been finding and build a computer with just enough memory and juice to be able to handle even the most minimal things the ship computer would normally handle, eg would Tal be able to rebuild a ship computer and then wire it into the cockpit terminals so that he can read sensors and do some VERY simple piloting/navigation?

I want to do the memory-core access the moment Fortinbras passes over the computer, but the computer rebuild can wait until the next post.

I guess the first one is a Use Computer check, and the next is a Repair check.
[roll0]
[roll1]



"Oh, and uh. Just in case it is boarders. Can you go collect the others and make sure we all know where everybody is? Try and collect Daggit, go get him to the others. You probably want to stay around David and Daggit if you want to stay alive much. If it is boarders." Tal'vere had reached the room. He turned away from Fortinbras and his voice faded down to a mutter while he looked at the computers and thought it over. "Probably not boarders."

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-19, 02:03 PM
David floats through the ship, looking for Daggit.

Why is it that every time I get to a door, it's locked? I'd have thought that whoever the hell that guy was would have spent more time trying to stay alive than lock all these freaking doors

search = 0
listen = +3 Listening for daggit swearing at things etc.
spot = +6

jm_jazzman
2008-02-19, 07:47 PM
Tal'vere knows that the cooling was only needed for the massive processors; The tower of storage drives should work fine without coolant. As for constructing a rudimentary computer to steer the ship, he will first have to find the navigational instruments and propulsion devices. It may just work, but a lot will depend on how much external computing power they each require.

David quickly finds an irate Daggit floating around on the third deck, muttering to his massive chainsaw about booze, knees, and gravity.

The low rumbling noise suddenly diminishes in volume until it has completely died out.

!rorak
2008-02-19, 08:10 PM
Tal'vere realized suddenly that he was also wondering whether he would be able to look over sensor data on the ship using the same principle, relying on sensors such as whatever radar equivalent the ship had as well as possible others that would keep tabs on airlocks, hull breaches and the like.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-19, 08:27 PM
Tal'vere figures that this ship probably has computerized systems for monitoring airlocks and hull breaches. These and any other such systems on board could theoretically be operated using an improvised computer, given that such a computer was powerful enough and programmed correctly. At this point, however, there is no way of knowing for sure.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-19, 10:30 PM
"Daggit! Just the person I was looking for! I need a door opened. D'you think you could be of any assistance?"

David starts back towards the locked pressure door, motioning for Daggit to follow him.

thisnamedoesntf
2008-02-20, 12:58 AM
Daggit glares at David and doesn't cease his muttering. He does follow him however, and Daisy revs threatingly.

Aeti
2008-02-20, 11:17 PM
Angry at being treated so rudely, like a common laborer! Fortinbras leaves Tal to stride off into the computer room alone, and instead heads to find the others. I'm not letting some common thug fiddle with my computer, he probably would damage it. The first he comes upon are Daggit and David, discussing a closed door in the shaft.
Hey, did either of you get the engine online? Or know what that rumbling was?

!rorak
2008-02-20, 11:58 PM
"...Huh. Yeah, this could work. I think I could actually manage to--what...? Fortinbras?" Tal'vere looked around. The man had left. Oh well. Hopefully he'll go find the others, do something useful around here. Meantime, maybe I can get a computer together. Might need the coolant back on for the computers first, but still...

I want to know exactly what I would need to jury-rig a computer system together out of the terminals I've found lying around. How many intact terminals I would need to take apart and rebuild, whether there are enough power cords--or whatever futuristic cool analogue there is around here-- around that I can just plug it in using a source already in the room, whether it would generate enough heat that I would need to plug in the coolant system somehow, etc. A whole inventory so that I can go gather the parts and build it.

I already passed a check for determining whether this is possible and I'm wondering whether I need to roll another check for inventory or whether I already have a design lined up in my head from the previous roll. Just in case I need to roll again...

[roll0] for Craft Electronic device.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-21, 09:01 PM
"No. We're just about to open this door. Seems like the sound was coming from there, so we've decided to investigate"

David moves away from the door, so Daggit has a clear shot at it with Daisy.

Aeti
2008-02-21, 10:37 PM
Umm. Umm. Umm. Fortinbras says nervously. Maybe instead of sawing up more of the ship than we have to, I could just try using my computer to open it.
Fortinbras approaches the door and tries to get it to open like he had previously seen Tal do.
[spoiler][roll0]

Gowron
2008-02-22, 12:17 AM
Kids these days, always in a rush.

Granny pulls out her knitting supplies and begins to construct a sweater.

Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Clcik Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Clcik Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Clcik Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Clcik Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Clcik Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Clcik Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Clcik Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Clcik Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Clcik Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Clcik Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click

jm_jazzman
2008-02-22, 06:44 PM
Tal realizes that although he still does not know how much computing power the ship's systems need, he probably won't be able to build something powerful enough out of the small systems he has found about the ship. None of them would contain nearly enough of the required parts for what he wishes to build.

Fortinbras opens up the door's control panel and manages to connect it to his card computer. After a few minutes, he is able to command a forced opening of the door. With a click and a hum, the door opens to reveal a dull metal passageway that immediately turns to the right and continues that way.

With stunning speed, Granny creates a warm and aesthetically pleasing sweater.

The low rumbling sound begins again.

!rorak
2008-02-22, 08:55 PM
Eugh. I'll go see what the others are doing. Tal'vere floated his way back to the group and arrived in time to see Fortinbras making a few careful manipulations to the door leading into deck 2 with his card computer. The surfacer looked at the door, expectantly, and it suddenly swung open.

Well. Guess he's not entirely useless. Tal'vere moved down into the corridor, behind the others. Suddenly the whole world began to shake again. A shade nervously, Tal pulled out his gun and covered the corridor beyond.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-24, 05:07 PM
With his pistol ready, Tal'vere floats slowly through the open door. This hallway goes straight to the right for about 40 feet. At the end, he can see a door to the right and another passageway to the left.

The deep, vibrating sound continues.

Aeti
2008-02-25, 06:31 PM
Fortinbras gives a small stare at the pistol in Tal's hand.
You.. You think we're going to be needing that? he asks hesitantly. He follows, but is sure to be about ten feet behind.

!rorak
2008-02-25, 07:59 PM
The rumbling seemed to fill Tal's skull. "David, I'm going to go check the right. Mrs. Treadsworth, could you help me with that? In the meantime, David, you and Daggit can check the left so we can't get flan..." Tal'vere trailed off, realizing abruptly that he was treating the situation as if there were hostiles, and, worse, that his heart was pounding. You're letting this whole ship get to your head. Stay frosty. He slowed his breathing. "I mean, or you and Daggit could come help us with the right. Whatever. Fortinbras--" Tal hazarded a glance back and saw that Fortinbras was hanging back, with something close to fear on his face. "You can hang back here, or something. We'll call you if we need you. Is everyone okay with that?"

Aeti
2008-02-26, 01:21 AM
No Mayinponder ever stayed back when others are in danger! Fortinbras declared angrily, Just you try and keep me back!
Oh odgay, hatway avehay I ottengay yselfmay into?
Despite his vehement protests, Fortinbras remains in the back of the group.
OOC-assuming everyone else is going. Which I hope they are, because I don't want to get murdered. We could always go and check the unexplored and undangerous first floor rooms, right guys? Guys?

thisnamedoesntf
2008-02-26, 10:13 PM
Daggit swings Daisy by his side and restlessly follows Tal down the hall.


The muttering continues.

Doctor Bloo
2008-02-26, 11:43 PM
David hangs back at the doorway. He seems disturbed about the rumbling sound. He listens to it for a while, trying to discern more about it.

listen - +3 take ten.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-27, 12:04 AM
Tal'vere and Daggit make their way down the hallway with Fortinbras following behind. To the left, the hallway continues for quite a distance. The door on the right opens easily, revealing a white-tiled room with large, shapeless bean-bag furniture pieces affixed to four of the corners, and a small kitchenette at the far end (complete with a mini fridge, zero-g coffee maker, and microwave oven).

Listening carefully, David determines that the rumbling sound has settled into a consistent frequency. Its origin is still a mystery.

!rorak
2008-02-27, 09:18 AM
O-kay. Bit anticlimactic. Tal turned to Daggit and Fortinbras. "May as well check the left now."

Aeti
2008-02-27, 07:06 PM
Fortinbras sees if it is possible to make a cup of coffee.
[roll0]

Aeti
2008-02-27, 09:29 PM
After seeing if it is possible to make a cuppa joe, Fortinbras checks to see what is in the cupboards. He doesn't really expect to find anything besides sugar and spices, but he searches nonetheless.
OOC- Dammit. I just rolled a 22, but I screwed up my spoiler tags again. Ignore this roll and just know it's a 22 kthxbai

We might as well give the room a quick check in case there is something interesting to find. As they say in my family: "hatway indkay of idiot are ouyay, otay ebay ushingray around ikelay a wattay"

jm_jazzman
2008-02-27, 11:31 PM
Tal checks out the corridor to the left. It goes for about 100 feet before coming to a large pressure door.

Fortinbras presses some random buttons on the coffee machine, which fills with water and hums softly. A quick jet of brown powder is suddenly sprayed into the liquid. Only a moment after, Fortinbras hears a small but terrifying *click* as a small hatch opens and the cold, half-mixed coffee goo is expelled out to where a bottle-thermos should be waiting to collect it, collecting on Fortinbras' clothes instead.

Searching the rest of the kitchenette, Fortinbras finds only some biscuits, five granola bars, and a can of shockolate Power Thirst in the mini-fridge.

Aeti
2008-02-27, 11:50 PM
Swearing, Fortinbras changes his shirt with one of the ones he took from the locker room. He leaves the soiled shirt hidden in a cupboard. I hope none of them saw that.

Fortinbras takes the biscuits and granola bars, then eats a biscuit while he reads the ingredients label on the Power Thirst.

jm_jazzman
2008-02-28, 12:05 AM
The biscuit tastes slightly stale, but not horrible.
The power thirst ingredients are as follows:
- ENERGY
- caffeine
- sugar
- chocolate
- REAL LIGHTNING

It's a shame there's no government standards for this kind of stuff any more, eh?