PDA

View Full Version : Anyone very familiar with Wuxia films?

Talya
2008-01-28, 10:19 PM
I'm looking for heroines of wuxia...the most powerful of them. The more outlandish their power, the better. If you know a Mary Sue of wuxia, let me know. It helps if they're cute, too.

MeklorIlavator
2008-01-28, 10:35 PM
Yu Shu-lien and Jen from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon(more the second than the first). Also, Mei from House of Flying Daggers. Both Mei and Jen are played by Yù Jiāolóng.

These are the only Wuxia films I'm familiar with, and they seem pretty powerful(though not necessarily mary sue's).

Fhaolan
2008-01-29, 11:24 PM
Are you sure you're using the term Mary Sue right? I thought that was the term for a female author inserting herself as a perfect being into something she's writing. You seem to be using the term differently, but I could easily be wrong. :smallsmile:

If you mean the term the way I understand it, it will limit the heroines down to ones in films by women writers. I'll see what I can dig up. I'm 'familiar' with Wuxia, but I'm not 'very familiar', so it'll take a bit.

EDIT: With wuxia movies (which is only a subset of Wuxia, which include books, theatre, manga, etc.) it might be easier, in a way, to find specific actresses, and go through the films they've been in. Each actress (and actor) will tend to get used in lots of movies, as there's only a limited number of martial-art-movie trained people able to all the movements and wirework as well as having the acting ability to do lines and the like. For example: Pei-pei Cheng's been in some 60 different films.

Talya
2008-01-29, 11:36 PM
I'm more looking for the lacking of noteworthy flaws, dominating the spotlight, miraculously escape near impossible predicaments with amazing skills, ludicously empowered, etc.

The author surrogacy is not really important. I'm just looking for a woman with ultimate powers of nèijìn and divine control of her qi, as well as strong qīnggōng and perhaps even the knowledge of diǎnxué. I'm looking for someone who would fair well in these asinine vs. threads. Being adorably cute or sexy wouldn't hurt either.

Fhaolan
2008-01-30, 12:29 AM
Sorry, not having much luck here. All the wuxia films I know with good female leads are all in a different subset of wuxia than what you're looking for. The whole excessive wirework stuff is a subset of wuxia that I don't spend a lot of time watching. I'm more into the historial-style (but not necessarily historically accurate) wuxia like The 14 Amazons, Golden Swallow, and the like.

I know that what you're looking for exists, I just don't know enough about the genre. Sorry.

Rutee
2008-01-30, 01:40 AM
The only one who I can think of (Meaning their name isn't Chinese) is from Weapons of the Gods (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapons_of_the_Gods)

Weapons of the Gods spoiler
Ironheart Nan, on the cover there? Very, very well disguised trap. Relatively recently revealed, within the last year or so. And disgustingly powerful. Probably has learned the clan's most powerful martial arts, at this point, not sure on that.

Talya
2008-01-30, 08:02 AM
Ah, unfortunately, I'm looking for female characters, in live action Wuxia.

Rutee
2008-01-30, 01:30 PM
Ah, unfortunately, I'm looking for female characters, in live action Wuxia.

Ah, only live action. Then that would disqualify Ironheart (Who is indeed a female. Hence, trap, since she was a spiffy looking male >.>)