PDA

View Full Version : Earthen Master [PrC for Shapeshifting Druids from PHBII]

Cormac
2008-01-29, 12:20 AM
There is a better table in the post below.

lvl AB F R W Special
1st +0 +2 +0 +2 Earthen Mastery, Earth Elemental Affinity
2nd +1 +3 +0 +3
3rd +2 +3 +1 +3 Earth Elemental Growth
4th +3 +4 +1 +4
5th +3 +4 +1 +4 Shapeshift Natural Armor +1
6th +4 +5 +2 +5
7th +5 +5 +2 +5 Shapeshift Str +2
8th +6 +6 +2 +6 Earthen Blow
9th +6 +6 +3 +6
10th+7 +7 +3 +7 Shapeshift Con +2

I couldnt just paste my table, so one piece of information that is missing is that they increase spell caster levels as a druid. I havent figured out the exact prereq's yet, but I am thinking that they will not be able to get this until they are 9th level. the details are below, what do you think? right now i feel like it starts out a little underpowered and ends up overpowered. any thoughts?

Earth Mastery (Ex)
At first level an Earthen Master gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls if both it and its foe are touching the ground. If an opponent is airborne or waterborne, the elemental takes a -4 penalty on attack and damage rolls. (These modifiers are not included in the statistics block.)

In addition, Earth Master’s loses access to all lightning, weather, and air based spells. In addition, when casting Summon Nature’s Ally, an Earthen Master may cast this spell normally except that when she summons an elemental, she may only summon an earth elemental.

Earth Elemental Affinity
Due to the Earthen Master’s affinity with Earth Elementals, when using Summon Nature’s Ally to summon any earth elemental, it only takes an Earthen Master a Standard Action to cast the spell rather than a full round.

Earth Elemental Growth
This is a spell that is simply added to the Earthen Master’s repertoire. It is added to the list of 5th level spells that can be known by a Druid. It functions exactly as the 5th level spell Animal Growth except that it functions on earth elementals.

Shapeshift Natural Armor +1
An Earthen Master’s connection to the earth creates an alloy of flesh and stone when the Master changes shape. Therefor, she receives a +1 bonus to natural armor.

Shapeshift Str +2
When shifted, an Earthen Master calls on the power of the earth and gains a +2 bonus to strength.

Earthen Blow
When taking elemental form, an Earthen Master can only Shapeshift into Earth Elemental form. However, when the Earthen Master does shift into an Elemental, she gains the benefits of Awesome Blow (a feat from the monster’s manual).

Shapeshift Con +2
When shifted, an Earthen Master calls on the power of the earth and gains a +2 bonus to constitution.

Cormac
2008-01-29, 12:23 AM
Heres a Table you can steal
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |
Spellcasting

1st|+0|+2|+0|+2|Earth Elemental Affinity, Earthen Mastery|
+1 Divine Casting Class

2nd|+1|+3|+0|+3||
+1 Divine Casting Class

3rd|+2|+3|+1|+3|Earth Elemental Growth |
+1 Divine Casting Class

4th|+3|+4|+1|+4||
+1 Divine Casting Class

5th|+3|+4|+1|+4|Shapeshift Natural Armor +1 |
+1 Divine Casting Class

6th|+4|+5|+2|+5||
+1 Divine Casting Class

7th|+5|+5|+2|+5|Shapeshift Str +2 |
+1 Divine Casting Class

8th|+6|+6|+2|+6|Earthen Blow |
+1 Divine Casting Class

9th|+6|+6|+3|+6||
+1 Divine Casting Class

10th|+7|+7|+3|+7|Shapeshift Con +2 |
+1 Divine Casting Class

[/table]
Code Spoilered for your convince: {table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |
Spellcasting

1st|+0|+2|+0|+2|Earth Elemental Affinity, Earthen Mastery|
+1 Divine Casting Class

2nd|+1|+3|+0|+3||
+1 Divine Casting Class

3rd|+2|+3|+1|+3|Earth Elemental Growth |
+1 Divine Casting Class

4th|+3|+4|+1|+4||
+1 Divine Casting Class

5th|+3|+4|+1|+4|Shapeshift Natural Armor +1 |
+1 Divine Casting Class

6th|+4|+5|+2|+5||
+1 Divine Casting Class

7th|+5|+5|+2|+5|Shapeshift Str +2 |
+1 Divine Casting Class

8th|+6|+6|+2|+6|Earthen Blow |
+1 Divine Casting Class

9th|+6|+6|+3|+6||
+1 Divine Casting Class

10th|+7|+7|+3|+7|Shapeshift Con +2 |
+1 Divine Casting Class

[/table]
Edit: Where did those extra attacks come from? Fixed.

hope this helps

Cormac
2008-01-29, 09:35 AM
any advice?

Cieyrin
2008-01-29, 11:30 AM
hmm, while I like the Shapeshift alternate class feature and the earthy resilience that this focuses on, it kinda comes across as weak to me. If you have access to it, there's a prestige class in Races of Stone that does something very similar to this called the Stone Speaker Guardian that utilizes and upgrades a feat called Stone Form, from the same book, which changes your normal form into a stone version, which grants +4 to Fort vs poison, makes your natural armor +4 and gives you a slam that does damage as a morningstar of your size.

What I think would be nice and would work well is, again if you have access to the book, is allow the character to get the Earth Sense feat at first and then grant bonus feats from the list, which would cover Earth Mastery and much more that would lend much to this class. I'm not sure how Shapeshift and Stoneform would sync up, as I don't have the time right now to go running around in those books.

Just looking at the Stone Speaker Guardian, I'd suggest perhaps having the Natural Armor and stat increases increase with level, such that having the natural armor be equal to half your class level and the str and con increases earlier, maybe level 4 and 6 and have them increase a step every 4 levels, as currently, your capstone ability is a con increase of 2, which i personally don't find very inviting and wouldn't want to spend 10 levels in a class to get.

Just a couple of thoughts. Hope this helps you some and happy homebrewing :smallwink:

Cormac
2008-02-14, 11:36 PM
can i get some more feedback on this baby?