PDA

View Full Version : 4E: Theoretical Classes

Mr. Friendly
2008-01-30, 09:20 AM
So I have been pondering the notions of Classes and Power Sources; assuming each power source gets its own defender, striker, controller and leader, what will each of those classes be?

Here is my theory:

{table] |Controller|Defender|Leader|Striker
Arcane|Wizard|Swordmage(s)|Bard(s)|Warlock
Divine|Favored Soul(s)|Paladin|Cleric|???
Martial|Monk(s)|Fighter|Warlord|Rogue
Psionic(s)|Psion(s)|Psi-Warrior(s)|Ardent(s)|Lurk/Mind-Blade(s)
Wild(s)|Sorcerer(s)|Barbarian(s)|Druid(s)|Ranger(r )
Shadow(s)|???|???|???|???
Dragon(s)|Dragonfire Adept(s)|???|Dragon Shaman(s)|???
Incarnum(s)|Incarnate(s)|Soulborn(s)|???|Totemist( s)[/table]

Obviously this is wild speculation on my part. Everyhting with an (s) means I am just making stuff up and have no idea. (r) for the ranger means I think they will retcon rangers to use the "Wild" power source.

What do you think? Other ideas for what other power sources we might see?

Person_Man
2008-01-30, 10:04 AM
This is the current Race/Area/Class/Role/Power Source breakdown that I know about, based on reading the 4th ed and EN Worlds boards too much. Not all of them are confirmed as being in the new PHB, but all of them will be published in 2008.

Human: Plains: Anything
Dwarf: Mountains: Fighter: Defender: Martial
Eladrin: Feywild: Wizard: Controller: Arcane
Elf: Forests: Ranger: Striker: Martial/Divine
Dragonborn: Dessert: Warlord: Leader: Martial
Halfling: Rivers: Rogue: Striker: Martial
Tiefling: Shadowfell: Warlock: Striker: Arcane
?: ?: Cleric: Leader: Divine
?: ?: Paladin: Defender: Divine
?: ?: Swordmage: Defender: Arcane
?: ?: Barbarian: Striker: Martial
?: ?: Druid: Controller?: Divine
?: ?: Bard: Controller/Leader?: ?
?: ?: Monk: Striker: Martial
?: ?: Sorcerer: Striker: Arcane

Also, there will be at lease one supplement per month published, and in the first year there will probably be more then one per month. And WotC will be putting up all of its Dragon and Dungeon material online (for a subscription fee). And they're still one of the biggest publishers of independent/freelance gaming material around, especially since a lot of it will just be online, which has relatively low publishing costs. So its very likely that EVERY non-retarded class in 3rd ed will be published in 4th ed, as well as many new original classes. The ability to map, balance, or understand it in a chart like the one you produced will quickly disappear.

Swooper
2008-01-30, 10:18 AM
I believe Races and Classes says they have no intention of filling every possible hole in a chart like that, and they have no qualms about putting more than one class in one hole, so the chart is pretty much useless.

Tengu
2008-01-30, 01:09 PM
Wizard: Controller: Arcane
Sorcerer: Striker: Arcane

Hmm, that's an interesting part. Do you suspect that they will make Wizards and Sorcerers more different than they are now? Different spell lists, maybe?

Rutee
2008-01-30, 01:13 PM
Hmm, that's an interesting part. Do you suspect that they will make Wizards and Sorcerers more different than they are now? Different spell lists, maybe?

I think they're going to have to. Spontaneous Casting is dead, and you have to have differences somewhere. Though supposedly, the Sorc. difference is that they leak magic power and can barely control what they've got, which can add interesting effects to spells cast (Not necessarily /good/ ones, but /interesting/ ones.. XD)

Mando Knight
2008-01-30, 01:21 PM
Dragonborn: Dessert: Warlord: Leader: Martial

So the Dragonborn prefer to live in... cake? YAY!:smallwink:

Yes, I know you meant Desert, it's just too amusing of a typo to pass up...

Solo
2008-01-30, 01:27 PM
So the Dragonborn prefer to live in... cake? YAY!:smallwink:

Yes, I know you meant Desert, it's just too amusing of a typo to pass up...

The cake is a lie!

Person_Man
2008-01-30, 02:15 PM

Look at Star Wars Saga Edition. Even though several different prestige classes use the Force, they have different Talent trees with different effects. I suspect that Sorcerers and Wizards will follow these lines. Both will use magic. Both may have access to a common pool of magic feats and certain abilities. The mechanics of magic will work off a single set of rules. But they will have very different spells/talents/class abilities.

The cake is a lie!

This was a triumph.

Turbit
2008-01-30, 02:45 PM

I Believe the R&C said that the sorcerer is going to become more wild mage-ish. Where they barely control the magics they use and the magics have side-effects. Like a sorcerer that casts a fire spell might be cover inflames that damge melee attacks.