PDA

View Full Version : AoW: The Whispering Cairn (Act I)



Pages : [1] 2

Madmal
2008-01-30, 04:10 PM
Diamond Lake.

A muddy smudge on the map of the hills east of the fabulous Free City. His inhabitants are predominately miners and laborers, serious folk who spend most of their lives toiling below ground. When not working, the miners celebrate along The Vein, a seedy road lined with ale-houses and brothels. Overall, the village is a sooty, sullen place prone to unpleasant bursts of violence and passion.

But Diamond Lake still holds plenty of opportunities for adventure, for the uplands surrounding the town are rife with the ancient tombs and burial cairns of long-dead cultures....

Now, idle chatter around the village speaks of a trio of richly dressed adventurers who frequent the taproom of The Feral Dog, the most notorious tavern in town. These confident heroes of the Free City spoke of hard-won battles on their journey to Diamond Lake, and of their intention to explore the long-abandoned Stirgenest Cairn on the lakeís distant southeastern shore. Some of you, natives to this place, know that that place is often explored by the communityí youth, who always find it completely empty of any ďmarvelĒ, and perfectly harmless.

Not so is another cairn within a dayís ride of the village. This one lies near an iron mine that went dry about 50 years ago. Situated in a sort of no-manís land, this cairn was all but forgotten, its yawning entrance overgrown with weeds and choked with debris. Rediscovered by a curious teenager a decade ago, it has been since a sort of community secret held by Diamond Lakeís youth, who dare each other to disappear into itís entrance to prove their bravery. Occasionally, when the wind is just right; haunting, almost magical tones emerge from the depths of the forlorn tomb.

Those who know of itís location call it the Whispering Cairn.

Act 1:
The Whispering Cairn
------------------------------------------------

An opportunity for profit is an opportunity to escape. If those foolish, cocky adventurers from the Free City expect to discover hidden passages and riches within the Stirgenest Cairn, then the Whispering Cairn could also hold a genuine opportunity for profit. An announcement quickly called your attention, written by some local wannabe adventurers' guild, and asking for volunteers for an exploration on said place. There doesnít seem to be much to loose, and the chance of finding something is enough to fuel your spirit and march to the meeting place.

Made of smooth stone blocks, this building stands in shambles. Thick vines creep up the side and most of the windows are broken. The front door hangs open, barely on its hinges, under a sagging and partially collapsed porch. An long-abandoned office on the outskirts of town, nothing fancy, but a good reference point to meet with the rest of the applicants, if there has been any other one besides you.

Zyks
2008-01-30, 05:02 PM
Yta'ir

Having seen a flyer lying in the dirt on the street, Yta'ir decided to go see about these "adventurers". Nothing much had happened recently, and his life was lacking interest.

Perhaps it's time to get a little more integretated into society again. Also this could break the monotoney

kamikasei
2008-01-30, 05:13 PM
Jaren

Jaren arrives early and settles down to wait and watch what others may follow from concealment. If anyone who might make use of the item are in this pustule of a town, it's likely they'll find this exploration of interest. Until some other lead crops up, this will at least keep the stink of Diamond Lake out of my nostrils.

He hides himself in the shadows by the tumbledown building, waiting for a stable group to gather before revealing himself.

Zyks
2008-01-30, 05:21 PM
Yta'ir

Oops, forget to say I actually go to the place :smallsmile:

Yta'it walks into the old house, looking quite uncomfortable at being in a (well moderately) "Civilised" environment. Afetr poking about a bit he sits down on a chair. The eagle hops off his shoulder and stands on the back of the chair. He looks around furtively, unsure and nervous in these surroundings.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-01-30, 06:49 PM
Naomi looks at the signpost. She desperately needed money to survive, and decided that it was as good a way as any to put her skills to use.

When she arrives, she looks with disdain at the falling apart house, with a rubble filled yard.

Duke of URL
2008-01-31, 10:25 AM
Trevor Nightshade

The path to my destiny unfolds before my very eyes.

Trevor sees the notice and senses an opportunity. It all made sense. He had made his bargain, and the rewards were now forthcoming. The raw power bristled underneath his skin, and here was a chance to use it, and profit by it.

Stopping only to purchase a few meager supplies, he makes his way to the meeting place.

Miraqariftsky
2008-01-31, 10:48 AM
haaaack-PTUI!

A large glob of spittle sails through the air, glinting in the noontide air and soaking into the unkept dusty porch. A bulky shadow meanders down the rocky path towards the abandoned house.

Wiping her dirt-matted brown bangs away from her eyes with one hard, callused hand, the mail-clad maid shrugs off her load of deadwood lumber and lugs it across the threshold, holding it easily with one hand. In the other arm is held a greataxe, its haft worn smooth with use and its broad blade brightly blazing in the sunlight.

Striking emerald greed eyes peer into the darkness of the ruined structure as she calls out cautiously, "Hail! Well met, are we?"

Zyks
2008-01-31, 11:39 AM
Yta'ir

Um, hello? uh I guess we are. Your here for the adventure too?

Yta'ir talks like one not used to speaking in common, or even being in direct contact with other people. His uncomfortable look increases. He looks meek and nervous. This is reflected in his Eagle, who spreads her wings and squawks, her head flicking around the room, before she settles again, and preens her feathers.

Duke of URL
2008-01-31, 12:42 PM
Trevor

Trust fate... these people are here for a reason.

Trevor's initial reaction to the other "adventurers" was not a particularly positive one. But then, what can one really expect from this hell-hole that someone saw fit to call a town? He puts on as pleasant of a face as he can manage. "Hail to you as well."

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-01-31, 04:52 PM
Naomi is a touch nervous. She does not know how she should react.

"Erm, hey there. You here because of the poster too?"

Miraqariftsky
2008-01-31, 05:09 PM
Yta'ir

Um, hello? uh I guess we are. Your here for the adventure too?

Yta'ir talks like one not used to speaking in common, or even being in direct contact with other people. His uncomfortable look increases. He looks meek and nervous. This is reflected in his Eagle, who spreads her wings and squawks, her head flicking around the room, before she settles again, and preens her feathers.

"Adventure my aching arse!" Akra swears laughingly as she drops her load of wood and leans it against the shalestone walls. Cracking her back as she straightens, she says good-naturedly, "I just heard them youngfolk in town a-yapping 'bout so-and-so crazies holed up in a cave. Well I figgered, where there's crazies, there's killin', where there's killin', there's heroes, where there's heroes, there's loot, where there's loot, there's more stuff ta give my family... well, that's wot them ol' bards sing, right?"


Naomi is a touch nervous. She does not know how she should react.

"Erm, hey there. You here because of the poster too?"

"Um..." Akra mutters while scratching her back. "What's a poster? Sorry, lass. Can't read nor write, I can. Akra's the name, by the way..."

Tacitus
2008-01-31, 05:29 PM
Jamian Rostfrei, Fallen God-child

He could not be dissuaded, his mind had been made up and his course of action was unerringly clear. He was running low on funds and required a means by which to fatten his purse and a simple contract with an adventurer's guild was the quickest way to augment his cash flow. At a glance the man looked almost heavenly with fierce golden eyes that shine as gems set in a pristine mask of ivory wreathed in silvery locks of flowing hair. When one takes a moment to examine him closer his fair skin looks one step closer to a ghastly shade of white as though his life force had been slowly sucked from his body. His golden eyes are slightly sunken to give the appearance that he has missed more than his fair share of soundly slept nights. He wears what might have once been a noble's outfit of some considerable standing at some point in time. The sleeves are sliced to ribbons past the midpoint of the forearm and blood stains mar the creamy white undershirt to give it a pinkish hue. Along each forearm down to his palms are a pair of black scars which show where once he was cut down the length of his arm and his flesh cauterized. Upon his right bicep, mostly hidden from view, is what seems to be an arrowhead stuck under his skin and has now healed over with it still inside. His voice is quite as he approaches but harbors a tone that borders on stereo, "Hail! Is this the place set out for a meeting of scavengers and explorers?"

Zyks
2008-01-31, 05:56 PM
Yta'ir

Err, well... does anyone know what's supposed to happen here?

Yta'ir still looks nervously around, trying hard to get used to the concept of a building, rather than trees, to be around him.

Miraqariftsky
2008-01-31, 11:41 PM
At Yta'ir's second speech, Akra looks up from her limbering and then suddenly stops in slack-jawed awe. A druid! How blest I am to have met one of the Protectors in the flesh! Her axe drops from nerveless fingers and she falls to her knees in homage to the servant of the Great Spirits. "Oh! Oh forgive my impertinence, O great Servant! May the Great Green Ones ever smile on ye! I am unworthy of your presence, mighty Protector!"

Zyks
2008-02-01, 03:13 AM
Yta'ir

Yta'ir is a little shocked by the sudden change in Akra

Oh! Don't worry about it, and thanks I suppose

Duke of URL
2008-02-01, 07:15 AM
Trevor

Trevor does his best to hide his amusement at Akra's outburst.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-02-01, 10:32 AM
Naomi has no idea what's happening now.

kamikasei
2008-02-01, 02:48 PM
Looks like we have a quorum.

Jarel detaches himself from the shadows, moving to seem to approach from the road, or near it. He is smiling broadly.

"Hello there! Fellow seekers of secrets, I take it? Well, perhaps we all shall find what we are seeking here. I am Jarel, a swordsman and scout."

He bows with a flourish.

"Would one of you be the person who proposed this expedition? And should we all not be introduced to one another?"

The smile is open and guileless and does not extend to his eyes, cold and gray, which examine the rest of the party with what might be mistaken for innocent curiosity. If you watch closely, you can see that he pays particular attention to Jamian. His appearance matches his self-description: tall and lean, clad in dark leather armor and cloaked in black, the hilt of a sword visible at his hip. His skin is pale, his hair a short, neat black cut, his face clean-shaven and indifferently handsome. All his equipment looks to be well-made and from the same source, though its maker mustn't have liked colours much.

Tacitus
2008-02-01, 08:59 PM
Jamian

He eyes Jarel for a moment and then a moment even longer as he is studied in turn before the broken God-child merely shrugs it off and looks away. He's plenty used to getting stares but would much rather prefer only yo get them when he deserves it. He kicks at a pebble on the ground and nods, "Aye, on the subject of names you may call me Jamian, if indeed we are all destined to get to know one another in the future." He purposefully seems to not give his last name but not because it holds any weight; he merely dislikes giving it as a full name leaves more of an impression than a first said in passing.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-02-01, 09:07 PM
"I'm, uh, Naomi Freald... yeah..." Naomi looks at all the older people, feeling out of place.

Zyks
2008-02-02, 05:11 AM
Yta'ir

Yta'ir... I used to have another name, but I forget...

Miraqariftsky
2008-02-02, 01:19 PM
Akra stands slowly from her kowtowing to the druid and retrieves her axe from the wall, deftly holding it with but one hand. Gazing at the newcomers with something akin to a watchdog's wariness, she says slowly, "Naomi Freald the Scribe... Jamian the Blackhanded... Jarel Grey-eyes... Yta'ir Soaring-soul... well met.

I am Akra, by some called 'the Axe'.

Nay, methinks the Great Ones called us all here to quicken the flow of the fates..."

Then, pointedly looking at Trevor, she continues, "... or whatsay ye, man?"

Duke of URL
2008-02-02, 09:44 PM
Trevor

"Trevor." He offers nothing else and withdraws back into himself after saying the one word.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-02-02, 10:00 PM
"Uh, no, just Naomi Freald, not a scribe or anything. Just Freald..."

Miraqariftsky
2008-02-03, 06:14 AM
Heaving a sigh, Akra sits down on her tied-up bundle of lumber and leans her axe against her long, muscular legs. With her suit of scale scraping against the rough, heavy fabric-and-leather of her tunic beneath, she tilts her body back until her head rests languidly upon the stone walls of the derelict building.

With one hand idly twirling the leathern cord of her axe, she reaches into a pocket with the other and draws out a hard hunk of cheese, already a deep yellow in colour. "Want some? Frank the farmer curdled me up a whole wheel o' cheese a fortnight back when I scrooped up his serpent problem...

"Sho, Breal'... Threbber... Teyir... Yamith and Yarl... w'a' bringsh y'all here? News of crazies that need a-killin'? Some ancient treasure tomb perhaps?", she asks, half-chewing and half-speaking. "Any o' youse learned in letters, mebbe? Y'all know whattawe in for here, besides rumourmengering?"

kamikasei
2008-02-04, 05:06 AM
Jarel

"I am not hungry, thank you. And while I was able to read the notices in town, they do not say much, merely that someone wishes the cairn looked in to. Still, if there is danger, there is likely to be something worthwhile on the other side."

Jarel smiles again. "Well, my skills, as well as Akra's and Protector Yta'ir's, seem clear enough. I'm sure everyone's will come clear in time." Here it's clear that he's looking at Jamian and Trevor both, but given their appearance and reticence that's not entirely surprising.

"Are we expecting anyone else? Shall we proceed? -When Akra is ready, of course."

Duke of URL
2008-02-04, 09:14 AM
Trevor

Yes, I'm quite certain my skills will become clear in time... until then, it seems unwise to boast about powers I have as yet little knowledge of.

He shoulders his pack and stands ready to follow whoever wants to take the lead. "I am as prepared to begin at any time."

Miraqariftsky
2008-02-04, 09:38 AM
crack! CRUNCH! Akra takes her second bite out of the incredibly hard hunk of near-mouldy cheese then jams it back into the pouch from whence it came, less than half-eaten. This "little" snack she washes down by slurping sloppily from her waterskin.

"Ahhh! Nothin' like some good ol' grub whenever ye feels like it, eh?" she says as she stows the skin away and re-straps her bundle of branches to her pack. Picking up her fallen axe, she tosses it from hand to hand then slings it across her shoulder.

"Well, wit know ye 'lready whar the bloody cairn is?" she asks in a leisurly drawl.

Suddenly, her eyes bug out as it finally clicks in her and a deep scowl darkens her hard-bit features, lending a terrible light to a face once fair but befouled by fates. "CAIRN?! DIDJA SAY 'CAIRN'?! Datsa CURSED place, damnit! None but the damned dead dare walk there! WOT, ya wanna bring daemonfire upon us all?"

Slowly though, having worked the shock out of her system, she relaxes, her breathing becoming more regular again. Her left hand snakes behind her and then whips out a rawhide-hilted dagger... made from a single solid femur sharpened to a winter's keen point and a razor's ravening edge. "Eh-hummmh... but them dead can still die, though... but make sure that ye ask the Great Ones for utmost protection lest ye 'nkno'nly des'kreyt yer own ancestor's bones..."

"'Nyhow, lead on, Grey-eyes, if'n ye indeed know the way..."

kamikasei
2008-02-04, 11:59 AM
Jarel

"Oh, I'm sorry to say I'm not a local. My directions only took me this far. Still, we can't all be newcomers to this lovely spot, can we?"

Jarel looks expectantly around the group. Something in his bearing gives the impression that you wouldn't so much be telling him you knew where the cairn was as confessing to it.

Zyks
2008-02-04, 12:04 PM
Yta'ir

after the question of why everyone is here, Yta'ir replies Well I'm just here for some... uh, adventure I think is the word? the wild is great and all, but get's a little repetetive after a while. And I want to see why people are obsessed with cities too.

I don't know of the cairn, I just came here from the signs. I thought someone else would come to tell us where to go.

The eagle flies back and rests on Yta'ir's shoulder.

Miraqariftsky
2008-02-04, 12:14 PM
"Ugh" Akra mutters as she slings the axe across her shoulders and drapes her arms upon the haft.

"Well 'en, here we are, all a-come here widout nuffink like known... BAH! Melikes it not but hellsteeth take it. How'd y'all wanna parsk the time, then? Tellin' tales of our terrible travicks, mebbe?"

Duke of URL
2008-02-04, 02:00 PM
Trevor

"As much as I hate to admit it, I am from this hell hole. The Cairn is not far from here."

When everyone is ready to depart, Trevor leads the way to the entrance.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-02-04, 05:04 PM
"I know the way to the Cairn." Naomi puts her hand up. "The other kids don't go there much. My sister dragged me there, once. It's scary..."

Zyks
2008-02-04, 05:30 PM
Yta'ir

I think I've seen it before, when i've been about. I couldn't lead us there though. At least, not from the town. He checks his inventory is secured about his person. Well, I'm ready when everyone else is

Miraqariftsky
2008-02-04, 11:17 PM
"Well, thank the Great Ones!" Akra says exasperatedly and kicks a loose stone idly off into the bushes. "'Tis good that we all have at least some dee-yur o' where the bloody place is!"

"Whattawe waitin' 'round fer?" she asks, motioning for the others to leave and following Trevor's lead. "Come on then, we can't be a-wasting daylight now, can we?"

kamikasei
2008-02-06, 02:37 PM
Jarel follows along, staying to the rear of the group.

Madmal
2008-02-07, 08:38 AM
The walk to the uplands under the grey, grim and cloudy local skies is short and uneventful. The cairn and itís wide, monolith-lined portal stands in front of you, partially obscure by underbrush and boulders. The surroundings are filled with bushes and debris that impose s minor difficulty to your advance, as you close in.

Image:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g15/Omniprowl/WhisperinCairn/Entrance.jpg

Duke of URL
2008-02-07, 08:47 AM
Trevor

"Well, here we are. Who's going to go in first?" His tone makes it quite clear that he doesn't plan on it being him.

kamikasei
2008-02-07, 08:47 AM
Jarel

Jarel's amaible expression doesn't change, but it does seem a little more masklike, as though he's devoting less effort to it. In silence he gestures to the others to stay quiet and stay still, and approaches the entrance with as little sign of his movement as he can leave, looking to see whether the entrance appears safe and whether there are any signs that others have been through recently. If the scene looks all clear, he waves the others forward.


[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] (if different to Senses... I hope not!)

I can't view the image at work, so disregard this if it somehow makes no sense.

Tacitus
2008-02-07, 05:32 PM
Jamian

The strange noble says nothing, and has kept to himself since he introduced himself aside from a strange look given to Akra back at her mention of his scarred hands. It wasn't a sore topic but most people don't just come out and mention it as she had. He had forgotten it soon afterward and now that they had arrived at the Cairn he slips his morningstar from the loop on his belt. It is strange though that he still did not seem to be wearing any armor despite having a set of leathers in his pack.

Zyks
2008-02-07, 06:07 PM
Yta'ir

The druid is visibly more comfortable outside in the open air. And even more so on the rough ground further out. He smiles happily to himself as his eagle flies far overhead.

If nobody else wants to, I'll go in first.

kamikasei
2008-02-08, 01:33 AM
Jarel

Be careful. It looks like we're not the only recent visitors. What do you make of these tracks?

Zyks
2008-02-08, 03:02 AM
Yta'ir

Yta'ir bends down to look at the tracks

Knowledge: nature to identify the creature [roll0]

Duke of URL
2008-02-08, 07:47 AM
Trevor

While the others look at the tracks, Trevor attempts to discover if there any traces of magic around the opening.

Trevor moves to where he can see the entire opening and uses his (at will) detect magic ability to see if there is any magical aura, concentrating as long as possible if one is detected to get as much detail as he can.

Miraqariftsky
2008-02-08, 09:51 AM
Akra

Akra rolls her eyes and unlimbers her oh-so-useful bundle of wood. Selecting a long, stout branch, she brings it to her nose and sniffs it, then bites into it. Spitting bark and wood-chips but satisfied that the branch is dry enough, she takes one of her spare cloaks from her pack, rips a couple of strips from it and binds it roughly about one end of the branch she'd selected. Taking a small flask of cooking oil from her provisions, she empties half its contents onto the makeshift torch.

She then takes a flint and strikes it against the steel of her axe. Sparks shower down onto the bound end of her torch and presently it bursts aflame. With the aid of the firebrand, she peers into the darkness of the cairn butthen notices Protector Yta'ir and Jarel clustered around some tracks at the mouth of the cavern. Intrigued, Akra holds the torch far in her left hand so that sparks and burning oil wouldn't harm her newfound comrades and then she stalks over and tries her woodcraft upon the mystery of the tracks as well...




[roll0] Search
[roll1] Senses
[roll2] Survival

kamikasei
2008-02-08, 10:00 AM
Jarel

Jarel nods at Akra's torch while the others are examining the tracks. "That won't last very long. What other means have we of making light? Might one of our mages spare us the oil?" He won't mention his own lantern until others have spoken.

Duke of URL
2008-02-08, 10:29 AM
Trevor

"My talents are a little more... destructive than that," he says off-handedly as he continues to concentrate on the entrance.

Miraqariftsky
2008-02-08, 10:58 AM
Akra

"Well, Grey-eyes, ye want light, ye have light!" Akra says as she tosses the torch lightly at Jarel.

"If' y'all gots some brandy, whisky, or somesuch, 'twould be right fine as well, aye..."

Tacitus
2008-02-08, 12:11 PM
Jamian

The strange man extends a hand and a glimmer runs down the scars along his arms to crackle along his fingertips, "If needed I can produce a light near to that of a torch for several minutes. Beyond that, I need no light to see in even utter darkness." He slips a stick from his pack with a crystal stuck at one end, "And lastly, I have two of these. I believe they are called Sunrods."

((Kitchen sink, anyone?))

kamikasei
2008-02-08, 01:37 PM
Jarel

"That's as well, then. It would not do to find ourselves lost underground with only one light source to rely on."

He tosses the torch back to Akra.

"But one doesn't catch an enemy off guard by holding the light for him to see you by. I'll go by what you make, with thanks."

He turns to Jamian.

"Well, I need some light to see and some darkness to be unseen. Perhaps you should take the lead then, and the rest of us a little way behind so you might see any danger before our light alerts it."

While he speaks he does not move from waiting, crouched, by the tracks for Yta'ir and Akra to identify them.

Zyks
2008-02-08, 03:09 PM
Yta'ir

I too, have the ability to create light for a number of minutes.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-02-08, 05:20 PM
Naomi walks in fearfully, near the centre of the group. She keeps silent about her abilities, most likely because she is afraid of people hating her for it. It is not obvious what the little girl can do.

Tacitus
2008-02-08, 08:54 PM
Jamian

He nods and begins to move inside, falling into darkness despite having the sunrod in hand. A moment later he quickly strikes the tip against his leg, jarring the alchemical substance within. When the light fully reveals his form he is in the process of being torn apart by what seems to be a ghastly spell. From his right arm the arrow embedded in his skin seems to have exploded outward and with it brought plates of steel covered in his own sanguine essence. Though this process does not harm him it is incredibly disconcerting in the few moments before he turns a visored gaze back to the others. Blood drips from the armor but other than that it seems to be entirely normal Full Plate, "Lets go." And with that he leads the way, now properly protected and nearly consumed by a will so powerful it refused to die when slain by Heironeous and Hextor themselves.

Senses: [roll0]
Full Plate, +8 AC
DR 1/Piercing

Madmal
2008-02-09, 04:25 PM
Natural light dimly illuminates a long hallway extending north into darkness. A faint breeze brings with it sibilant whispers that sound almost like sighing breath. It must be a trick of the wind, but the effect is almost lifelike.

The walls bear horizontal bands of deceptively simple geometric patters at waist level; in places, the bands reveal startling detail, but in others, the walls look as though they have been hacked apart with weapons or eroded by the rigors of time. Flakes of ancient pint, brilliant purple and a dull mustard hue, still cling to the walls in places, hinting at what must have been a riot of color. A thin coat of dust coats the floor.

Just inside the darkened tomb, the hallway branches into shallow alcoves to the east and west. Here the walls bear the most significant damage. Dozens of clumsy etchings mar the beautiful ancient masonry like graffiti on a city wall. A clump of soiled cloth about the size of a halfling rests in the rounded terminus of the western alcove.

Outside, the winds picks up and a chorus of almost human sounds rises from the darkened hall.

Grid:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g15/Omniprowl/WhisperinCairn/Icairn1.jpg

kamikasei
2008-02-09, 04:52 PM
Jarel

As the group moves into the passage Jarel studies the inscriptions to see if any arcane writings are among them. When the western alcove comes into view, he gestures wordlessly for the party to stop.

Stay here - hand out to his side, he waves it up and down. I'll - points at himself - check it out - two fingers pointing at his eyes, then at the heap of cloth.

He seems to take it for granted that the others will both understand and obey him.

"Arcane writings" = is there anything written in draconic?

[roll0]

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-02-09, 07:26 PM
Naomi shudders at the noises surrounding her. They were no less horrible then they were 2 years ago...

((Warning: Flashback))
Naomi's eyes were shut, tears leaking out of her emerald eyes, holding tight to the hand that gripped her clothes by her shoulder, in fear that they might rip, adding one more grievance to her already growing list: Shoes muddied from being dragged through the dirt, dress stained from the mud, and, of course, her eventual destination. She knew it would be helpless to resist her older brother, who could pick her up and hold her above his head without even straining.
Suddenly, she was dropped, and her head jarred against stone. Against her will, her eyes jerked open, fresh tears sprouting from the sudden pain. In front of her, wavering, reflected in the teardrops, was a great yawning monolithic entrance, with Gavin standing underneath, waiting. Naomi knew that it was useless. If she ran, then Gavin would catch her, and hurt her more. She wished he wouldn't. But he would, and nothing would stop that. She took a faltering step forward.
And another.
7 steps up to where Gavin was standing.
And then he hit her. She reeled around from the blow, and knew that a bruise would appear on her cheek. She almost fell down, but caught herself. She looked up at Gavin, standing threatenly under the stone doorway, and then the noises started.
The calm that had followed the torrential storm that had just passed was broken by suddenly whistling winds, and from within the cavern itself, horrible sounds like voices sounded out. Gavin whirled around, startled. However, he was not a coward, and quickly made his own deductions. He turned back to Naomi.
"How dare you try to scare me!"
He made as if to punch her again, but then, something happened. It felt as though static electriciry abounded through her hair. Suddenly, she could see every detail around her, just for a second. Gavin's eyes grew wide, he took a step backwards, and then realized that he had just stepped towards the cairn, and ran out, past Naomi. She did not look around, but remained staring right at the spot where she was before. Then, she collapsed, and was weak, and had to drag herself all the way back, unconsiously glancing back at the cairn's entrance, from which, even though it was gone, the echo of the sounds still resounded in her head.

Zyks
2008-02-10, 07:45 AM
Yta'ir

The druid draws his scimitar and takes his shield. Then steps cautiously into the cairn. When signalled to stop by Jarel, he does so, and waits pateintly. His eagle, still sat on his shoulder, looks around the tunnels vigilantly

I've not played druid before, but I assume I can do this.

Eagle spot check: [roll0]
edit: also, eagles have low-light vision, if applicable.

Miraqariftsky
2008-02-10, 12:58 PM
Akra presses the seemingly obsolete torch into Naomi's hands, whispering, "Here, lass. Looks like ye needs da warmth more'n I do..."

Content with the mage's glow to see by, the woodswoman unslings her axe and hefts it in both hands. Smiling contentedly at the weight of the heavy blade, she strides over to the corner of the cavern ((I-10)) and crouches in the shadows, waiting for Grey-eyes' interpretation of the scrap of cloth...

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-02-10, 03:57 PM
Naomi half-smiles at Akra, and mumbles "Thanks."

Duke of URL
2008-02-11, 07:32 AM
Trevor

Trevor follows the others, staying close enough for mutual protection, but ready to step to the back at any time to deal with any potential threat at a comfortable distance.

Tacitus
2008-02-12, 02:00 PM
Jamian

With armor creaking loudly through the corridors he pauses at Jarel's arm waving and he waits for the man to return.

Madmal
2008-02-13, 09:56 PM
Updated grid:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g15/Omniprowl/WhisperinCairn/Icairn1.jpg

((advancing the next description))
The western hall extends perhaps forty feet, ending at a small marble platform raised about six inches off the floor. A strange, shattered arcane (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g15/Omniprowl/WhisperinCairn/apparatus.jpg) apparatus rests upon this platform, itís curved ovular frame living the appearance of a nobleís dressing mirror. Only a third of this frame remains. An unusual arcane glyph about the size of a manís head has been delicately carved into the baseplate of the support platform.

Fifteen feet down the east passage, a huge pile of collapsed rubble blocks the alcove from top to bottom, it looks like it would take weeks to tunnel through the densely packed debris.

Miraqariftsky
2008-02-14, 02:18 AM
"Whaddaheck?!" Akra ejaculates in consternation. "It's just a buncha broken rocks and... oh blight!"

As she squints into the darkness and the apparatus comes into better view, her eyes bug out and she whispers hoarsely, "It... it's a dragon's jaw! It's a mouth of the Great Ones!"

With that, she rushes forward and falls to her knees, worshipping the thing...

Tacitus
2008-02-14, 03:08 AM
Jamian

He gave Akra an odd look, "I don't know about the jaw of a dragon. Seems to be that if it were the jaw of, well, anything, the teeth would be on the inside of the curve and it wouldn't be quite so.... curved. That glyph though, looks a bit interesting. Don't know exactly how interesting, not much into the usual strain of magic, myself."

Zyks
2008-02-14, 03:34 AM
Yta'ir

A spellcraft check on the glyph perhaps? [roll0]

This Akra seems a very supersticious person

kamikasei
2008-02-14, 03:46 AM
Jarel

"Nothing of interest," Jarel tells the others. "Just some rags or blankets discarded by a previous visitor. Looks like they've been here a while."

He joins the rest of the group as they advance. At Akra's outburst his lips quirk in a suppressed laugh.

"Perhaps our honoured Scribe might have a look?" he suggests a second later in a level voice that's been scrubbed of amusement.

Duke of URL
2008-02-14, 07:54 AM
Trevor

Trevor studies the frame.


detect magic in the direction of the frame.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-02-14, 05:50 PM
Naomi also studies the thing.

Spellcraft:[roll0]

She traces the rune, but makes sure she doesn't actually touch it, her finger half an inch above the rune.

kamikasei
2008-02-15, 09:47 AM
Jarel

Jarel is acutely conscious of the noise they're making and keeps an eye on the dim light to the north, watching whether it moves in possible reaction, or in any other way betrays an intelligence behind it.

"Might the thing be broken? It looks like it should be a closed loop... a portal, or scrying apparatus, perhaps? We might find its remaining parts further within.

"Or we could poke it. I believe you have a supply of sticks?" This last is directed at Akra in tones of utter innocence.

Miraqariftsky
2008-02-17, 11:38 AM
Akra stares at him suspiciously at first, then plucks a cubit-long half-trimmed branch from the bundle bound to her back. "Mehopes ye'll offer it. I don't know the proper rituals..."

"Anyhow, 'twill cost ye two coppers..." she mutters as she hands the piece of wood to Jarel.

Zyks
2008-02-17, 02:19 PM
Yta'ir

Leaving the others with the starnge object, Yta'ir (who's quite paranoid) and his eagle watch for anything approaching.

Yta'ir spot check: [roll0]
Eagles spot check: [roll1]
Yta'ir listen chack: [roll2]
Eagles listen check: [roll3]
edit: wow, 2 natural 1s, thats bad.

kamikasei
2008-02-17, 02:29 PM
Jarel

Jarel takes the offered stick with a bow and a smile. "I would hope to return the item to you directly - but otherwise you shall certainly be compensated."

He begins to approach the apparatus with exaggerated caution and deference, pausing once or twice to give it a look as if asking permission to continue. His eyes continue to flicker in the direction of the light in the north.

Abruptly he halts, straightens, and drops the act mocking Akra. His right hand drops the stick, goes to his lips in a silent "shh!", then to cup his ear and tell the party to listen to the bestial growls it seems he's the first to hear. His left hand draws his sword with an abruptness that might cause anyone who hasn't already noticed to realize that either it or his right had been hovering near the hilt through all his earlier gesturing.

I would say that Jarel's been in the Child of Shadow stance all along (and should be assumed to be pretty much 24x7), but if actions are relevant then he'll spend a swift action to adopt it: concealment for one round after moving at least 10', and allowing the use of the Shadow Blade feat to gain Dex to damage.

Oh, and if it's relevant, I'll roll

[roll0]

Oh! and consider Jarel to be at, hmmm, J22.

Zyks
2008-02-19, 05:26 AM
Yta'ir is at H13 on the grid

Duke of URL
2008-02-19, 08:04 AM
Trevor

"Hmmm... whatever it was, it no longer registers any magic about it at all."

Location, if I'm reading the map correctly, is at D20

Tacitus
2008-02-19, 06:06 PM
Jamian

When Jarael draws his blade he too readies his weapon as blood begins to trickle down the surface of his otherworldly armor. He shifts one leg back and looks as though he plans to charge anything

K20
HP: 13 AC: 19 (+1 Dex +8 armor, no shield)
Init if necessary: [roll0]
Ready action to charge at anything hostile
Attack [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-02-20, 04:49 PM
Naomi, shaking, gets up, and stands, shaking, but confident, her hand facing outwards ahead of her body.

Naomi is at H20. Init: [roll0]

Miraqariftsky
2008-02-21, 11:11 AM
Protector Yta'ir! Green fiery beasts come!" Akra hisses as she sights the strange green lights. Hefting her axe readily, she snarls and spits savagely, her taut muscles preparing for action...

Position is at I-14 if the broken arch/relic is the red dot on the grid. If not, then position is at I-19.
Initiative roll: [roll0]

Duke of URL
2008-02-21, 12:38 PM
Trevor

Trevor suddenly becomes alert at the warning shouts.

[roll0]

Zyks
2008-02-21, 12:50 PM
Yta'ir

The druid draws his scimitar and prepares his shield. The eagle remains on his shoulder.

Initiative: [roll0]

kamikasei
2008-02-21, 03:28 PM
Jarel

"Jamian, what do you see?"

Madmal
2008-02-21, 08:01 PM
two howls are heard as two mangy and flamelic wolves enter your line of sight, drooling and yapping. Jamian reacts inmediately, and charges against the first one he sees, which retaliates with hunger on it's eyes, attempting to drop him to the ground, the second one doesn't fell behind, and attacks as well.

Wolf 1
Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
Trip attempt: Str Check [roll2]

Wolf 2
Attack:[roll3]
Damage:[roll4]

Grid
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g15/Omniprowl/WhisperinCairn/Icairn1b.jpg

kamikasei
2008-02-22, 05:13 AM
Jarel

Jarel pads up rapidly beside Jamian, the shadows of the hallway seeming to cling to him as he does so. As he moves his sword traces an elaborate pattern around him, and he seems to blur, to the point that you could almost swear he was in two places at once.

Actions
Move: two squares directly north going from M7 to M9 putting Wolf 2 in the square northeast at N10. Having moved 10', Child of Shadow grants him concealment.
Standard: uses Shadow Blade Technique.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4] (if necessary)

edit: Good rolls; I'll take the lower attack to deal the extra cold damage, which gives me an attack of 20 and a total damage of 7.

Zyks
2008-02-22, 05:39 AM
Yta'ir

Yta'ir dahses across and up, not engaging the enmy, and holds defensively.

gahh bad positioning. I'm too far away to hit them, and didn't put any proper ranged weapons on my sheet. I'll have to get some javelins or shortspears sometime. Anyways

Moving to T9 as a move action
Total defensive (I think thats the right name) as standard action

Duke of URL
2008-02-22, 08:01 AM
Trevor

Time to test these new powers...

Moves to O9 (I think, the letter/number system doesn't line up quite right with the grid), lets loose an Edlritch Blast at Wolf #2 (w/ Spear shape, ESL2)

[roll0] (+3 DEX, +1 point-blank shot, -4 target engaged in melee)
[roll1]

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-02-22, 05:08 PM
Naomi swivels her body, so she is now pointing at one of the wolves, holding the torch in her other hand, extended the other way. For half a second, it doesn't look like anything is going to happen. And then, her pupils dilate until they cover her eyes with blackness, her hair flies up, propelled by some invisible force, and she chants 3 swift words in an inhuman voice; one would not be able to understand them easily. The only physical effect, however, is a small white wisp of smoke shooting towards the wolf, and entering it.

Casts "Cause Fear" at wolf 1, Will save DC 17. If succeed, shaken (-2 attack roll, weapon damage roll, skill checks, ability checks. ). If fail, frightened (Attempts to run away, -2 attack roll, weapon damage roll, skill checks, ability checks. ).

AC:11
HP: 4

Tacitus
2008-02-22, 08:18 PM
Jamian
HP: 13 AC: 19-2 until current action Init: 9 Location: N9

With the attacks of the wolves going wide (and one even missing almost critically so) he raises his weapon over his head and swings down to strike at the wolf in front of him again.

I'd note I have DR 1/Piercing for future reference, but a bite attack deals all three types, so its pointless.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Madmal
2008-02-22, 09:01 PM
((Jic, this counts as your next action))

Tacitus
2008-02-22, 09:18 PM
((*Shrug* Doesn't really matter. With my only options being attack, teleport (1/5 rounds, standard action, 5ft/lvl), defend, and don shield, most of my combat posts with this vestige will be largely the same. Now if one of them flees and I can charge, its just the same post but with a charge attached. XD))

Miraqariftsky
2008-02-23, 11:17 AM
Akra

Fangs flash in the darkness while steel streaks through the shadows. The scents of blood and sweat, fear and death rankle Akra's nostrils as she starts forward at the first sounds of battle.

She then dashes forward and skids to a stop near the edge of the flickering torch's flames. Holding her axe with the left hand just below its iron head, she hauls back a javelin then looses the long bolt at one of the beasts, hoping to pin it to the cavern wall.

Move to N-6 and hurl a javelin at wolf-2.
[roll0] attack
[roll1] threat
[roll2] damage

Madmal
2008-02-25, 11:12 PM
The wolf next Jarel lets out a furious howl as both slices fall on it, wounding it severely, while the other one is frozen in terror after Naomi's spell.

around the corner dashes another wolf, much bigger and definately, healthier than the other two. it stands at the endo of the corridor and growls menacingly at you.

Grid
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g15/Omniprowl/WhisperinCairn/Icairn1c.jpg

Miraqariftsky
2008-02-25, 11:46 PM
"Hoy Grey-eyes!" Akra yells in frustration at Jamian (?). "Geddoutta da way, man! There's meat ta be had!"

Rubble clatters against the rough-forged iron of her greaves as she charges headlong, small spurs of rock shattering away as she barrels down the passageway. The light flashes on the steel head of her axe as she brings it crashing down upon one of the grey-pelted beasts...




[roll0] Attack roll against Wolf 1
[roll1] crit threat
[roll2] damage

[roll3] attack roll if she Cleaves into Wolf 2
[roll4] crit threat
[roll5] damage

position is now at O-10

kamikasei
2008-02-26, 02:27 AM
Jarel

Jarel doesn't like to charge ahead, but he's the only one in position to deal with the further wolf in a timely fashion, and waiting for it to come to them doesn't appeal when by that time the rear guard will be milling around them.

Nothing for it. "I'll leave these to you," he calls to Jamian as he runs past the injured and ensorcelled wolves, north up the corridor towards the larger one. As he moves he remains hard to see clearly even in the light of Jamian's sunrod. At the last minute he weaves aside to strike from an unexpected angle and leave the wolf more open for the others. His sword comes up in a single, sure strike, seeming to radiate a dull heat as it does so.

Move: starting in M9, through M10 and M11 to N12. 20', so concealment (20% miss chance for enemy attacks).
Swift: initiate burning blade, giving 1d6+1 fire damage on attacks.
Standard: initiate sapphire nightmare blade, using [roll0] vs. the target's AC. If that check passes, the target is flat-footed and Jarel deals [roll1] extra damage; if not, the following attack is at -2.
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Okay; that's either attack 10 and total damage 10 vs. the target's flat-footed AC, or attack 8 and total damage 9 vs. its normal AC. Not much difference I suspect. Blah.

Also, to reiterate, Jarel is now in N12, directly southeast of wolf 3.

Duke of URL
2008-02-26, 07:26 AM
Trevor

Ah! Missed with my first attempt. This power is harder to control than I first thought. He slides to get a clearer view before letting loose another blast.


Move (5' step) to M6, attacking Wolf #1
[roll0] (ranged touch, +3 DEX, +1 PBS, -4 target in melee)
[roll1]

(( Man, I suck... :smallyuk: ))

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-02-26, 09:29 PM
Naomi swings around to face the fresher adversary, and casts the same spell at it, in hope that it will run and leave them to deal with the weaker ones. Once again, her pupils dilate beyond belief, and her hair flies up. Once again, a small wisp of smoke shoots towards the wolf, and strikes it.

5 foot step to L6, cast Cause Fear, Will save DC 17. If succeed, shaken (-2 attack roll, weapon damage roll, skill checks, ability checks. ). If fail, frightened (Attempts to run away, -2 attack roll, weapon damage roll, skill checks, ability checks. ).

Zyks
2008-02-27, 03:29 AM
Yta'ir

Not sure when its my initiative next, but heres my actions anyway

Noticing the wolves pretty much mobbed by his companions, Yta'ir noves up behind them to provide support if necessary. {Move and Defense action again}

Madmal
2008-02-27, 10:14 PM
The wolf don't appear to consider getting out of the fight, specially the weaker ones, whose hunger can almost be seen on their eyes. They try to make one last stand, but Akra manages to knock both out with a powerfull axe blow. Jamian buries his morningstar on the wolf before him, already near death.
Wolf 1
Attack(Jamian):[roll0]
Threat:[roll1]
Damage:[roll2]
Wolf 2
AoO:[roll3]
Threat:[roll4]
Damage:[roll5]
Attack(Jamian):[roll6]
Threat:[roll7]
Damage:[roll8]
Trip: [roll9]

the third wolf, is immediately affected by Naomi's unnerving visage, but still put's himself together to launch one attack at Jarel, which seems to connect only for a faintest moment, but foiled by the enveloping darkness.

The wolf doesn't doubt it for a second and turns its back to Jarel, running away.
Wolf 3

Will save:[roll10]
Attack(Jarel):[roll11]
Threat:[roll12]
Damage:[roll13]
Trip: [roll14]
Will save failed: -2 to the rolls

Grid:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g15/Omniprowl/WhisperinCairn/Icairn1d.jpg

Miraqariftsky
2008-02-28, 05:17 AM
The heavy axehead slams into the beast's body, shearing through skin, slashing through sinew and bashing through the bones. So powerful is the blow that the blade punches out through the other side of the wolf's ribcage as it leaps at Jamian, nearly bisecting the beast. Flying free of its victim yet still flush with momentum, the axeblade crunches into the other wolf's skull.

"NRRAAAAAGGHHH!" A primal yell rips forth from the depths of Akraa's throat as she leaps over the mangled bodies of the deadly beasts. For a moment she slips and slides in the slick of the grist, guts and gore but she manages to catch herself on a ledge.

Akra's chest heaves with the fire of action, her blood burning with adrenaline as she gives her axe's haft a twitch, freeing its brain-besmeared blade from the wolf's skull. The axehead sags and drags to the ground, causing some sparks to flare from the hard contact of steel and stone as she catches her breath.

"MEEEAAAAAT!" She screams again as her right hand tightens around the end of the haft, the left loosening a bit near the midsection. Her hobnailed boots crash through the cavern as she charges like a maddened boar at the larger wolf lurking in the shadows. At the last moment before impact, she suddenly slams her left foot forward, leans far back with the right, her right fist loosening and her left powering forward in a low but heavy slash...

[roll0] attack roll on a charge
[roll1] crit threat roll on a charge
[roll2] damage roll with two-handed attack

position is now at flat O-15.
AC is currently 14, HP 13/13.

Duke of URL
2008-02-28, 08:16 AM
Trevor

Trevor hurries forward and tries to fry the fleeing wolf with Eldritch energy.


(( Doesn't look like it matters, based on the post one above, but I'll play out the round anyway... ))

Move to M11
Eldritch Blast: [roll0] (subtract 4 if wolf is already in melee)
[roll1]
[roll2] (20% if light source doesn't come up before my turn)
[roll3], if necessary
[roll4], if necessary

kamikasei
2008-02-28, 10:57 AM
Jarel

Jarel grimaces as he and the wolf both twist away from one another's blows. A waste of effort, he thinks as the beast flees under Naomi's influence. I should be using this chance to see how the others respond.

With the monster running north he steps aside to the west wall of the passage to give the others a clear shot and takes a moment to smooth over his irritation. "Any other takers?" he calls back.

Five-foot-step directly west followed by a full-round action to recover expended maneuvers. Won't bother swapping any around. Not having moved enough this round, will lose concealment at the end of his turn. Of course, if it's relevant, he may still have a miss chance if the light isn't on him.

Tacitus
2008-02-28, 01:31 PM
Jamian
HP: 13 AC: 19-2 charge Init: 9 Location: N9 to N15

Following the lead of the barbarian Jamian too charges towards the last remaining wolf with the intent of crushing the beast's skull. A trail of blood is left in his wake as it streams from his armor but after his swing the trail of blood would disappear entirely.

For whenever, dunno if I have to wait, but meh.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Madmal
2008-02-28, 07:37 PM
Both blows reach the wolf, disabling it. It attempts one last attack.

Wolf 3
Attack(Akra):[roll0]
Threat:[roll1]
Damage:[roll2]
Trip:[roll3]
after this, it drops to the ground, at -1.

Madmal
2008-02-28, 08:00 PM
The central hallway opens into a large chamber with wings leading to the east and west. Across the chamber to the north yawns a twenty-foot-wide open arch draped from top to bottom in translucent cobwebs. An eerie green light flickers from beyond the webs, casting strange shadows about this room. The place smells of animal spoor and wet fur.

To the west, three short stairs lead to a wide marble dais, but the far end of the wing is obscured by darkness.

Huge slabs of cracked masonry and irregular piles of scattered debris choke the eastern wing, giving the appearance of complete collapse.

The sibilant, almost human whispers present in the passage become a chorus in this massive chamber, eerily echoing off the walls.

((note: this doesn't mean you can't check on the apparatus anymore, you can go back there if you want, i'm just posting in advancement.))

Grid:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g15/Omniprowl/WhisperinCairn/Icairn1e.jpg

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-02-28, 09:02 PM
(what was the result of our checks and spells on the apparatus?))

Madmal
2008-02-28, 10:52 PM
(the apparatus didn't had any magic left, so detect magic and spellcraft checks came out nule)

(there are still another options, though)

Duke of URL
2008-02-29, 08:05 AM
Trevor

Trevor carefully moves forward past the last wolf to see what lies ahead. "Ugh! That smell is atrocious..."

Move forward to M19. Also I realized yesterday that Trevor doesn't have the detect magic ability yet (level 2 ability), sorry about that.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-02-29, 06:47 PM
Naomi follows, staying near the middle. She looks much more tired than she did before.

Miraqariftsky
2008-03-01, 10:58 AM
Both blows reach the wolf, disabling it. It attempts one last attack.

Wolf 3
Attack(Akra):[roll0]
Threat:[roll1]
Damage:[roll2]
Trip:[roll3]
after this, it drops to the ground, at -1.

Her axe hits home, lopping off both of its hind legs, sending it toppling but not before it gives one final leap and manages to connect with her left thigh right where the armour ends and the cotton begins.

Before it even hits the ground, Jamian's morningstar smashes in from the side, sending the wolf crashing against the cavern wall. The dust settles to reveal the beast panting in agony, massive gashes spurting sanguine streams, its muzzle smashed in...

"Pore beast..." Akra mutters as she lifts her weapon high in preparation for the final blow. The light shines dimly off the single-sided steel head of the axe, the wedge dripping with gore. Her hands twitch once as she adjusts her grip, her fists tightening on the rawhide grips. The light flashing but once more, the blade descends and completes its grim work...


[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
^
^
Finishing blow

[roll3] Senses roll

It was at -1, right? 9 damage looks to be just enough...


position is now at P-17

The wolf's jaw gasps its mortal cry as its head leaves its body, the eyes glazing over in eternal peace.

Suddenly, the green lights and the strange noises act up again, sending the barbaric woman into a fit of cringing. "Protector Yta'ir! The green spirits come for us!"

Tacitus
2008-03-03, 06:48 PM
Jamian

For a long moment he watches blood trickle from the decapitated wolf before the muscles relax and the blood flows freely from the corpse. He shakes his head and moves on, thinking back to the strange device to see if he might have any tidbits of knowledge about it.

Senses: [roll0]
And, because I totally forgot I had a knowledge skill... >.>
Knowledge (The Planes): [roll1]
Other knowledges would be untrained at +2.
Move to K19

kamikasei
2008-03-04, 04:51 AM
Jarel

Jarel looks around the chamber and sniffs in a lungful of wolf-scented air. "No wonder the beasts were so crazed if they've been stuck here for any length of time. I don't see any signs they'd eaten recently."

He looks north at the cobwebbed archway. "I suggest we investigate the dark corners before we start poking around whatever's producing that light," he comments. He waves to Naomi to bring her light in to the main chamber.

Keeping with the radius of the torches, he moves towards the platform to the west.

((OOC: Finishing at J17))

Zyks
2008-03-04, 09:13 AM
Yta'ir

Replacing his scimitar in his belt, the druid scans over the ground, looking for evidence of other creatures residing here. He then straightens up and sticks with the group

Survial check for tracks: [roll0]

If I find anything, I tell the group

Miraqariftsky
2008-03-06, 01:33 AM
Akra scuttles forward across the broken floor of the cavern and then settles into a half-couch, ready to charge at any sign of hostile activity. Cautiously, she peers into the darkness, both wary and leery of the strange green lights and the windy whispers in the shadows...

[roll1d20+3[/roll] Senses

Duke of URL
2008-03-06, 07:25 AM
Trevor

At Jarel's comments, Trevor nods. "Yes, I think it is wise to make sure there are no surprises left behind us."

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-03-06, 06:50 PM
Naomi swings her torch so that it illuminates as much as possible.

Madmal
2008-03-07, 09:10 AM
current Positions:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g15/Omniprowl/WhisperinCairn/Icairn1f.jpg

Tacitus
2008-03-10, 12:40 AM
Jamian

Though he doesn't seem to be actively looking around or even really paying attention, the Binder will gladly move or lend his light to anyone that asks of it. For the moment he merely puzzles to himself about the strange symbol that stood out in his mind, "A name...? I don't know any languages for the races inhabiting the Plane of Air, but even then..."

Duke of URL
2008-03-10, 06:39 AM
Trevor

"Which way to investigate first? Those stairs... or the cave-in over there?" The former is said with a gesture to the west, the latter to the east.

kamikasei
2008-03-10, 06:56 AM
Jarel

"Both at once, perhaps?" Jarel suggests. "There just looks to be something painted or written up here. If anyone thinks they can read it, bring over a light. The rest of you might look into that rubble."

Jarel strolls up to the dais and peers around curiously to see if he can recognize anything or interest.

Miraqariftsky
2008-03-10, 07:53 AM
"Aye, just send the wastewalker to scrounge up this 'ere waste, eh?" Akra drawls as she marches toward the pile of rubble on the right. Sundered stones crunch beneath her hobnailed boots as the barbarian approaches the mound of ruined rocks, idly spinning her axe and passing it from one hand to the other. Every so often, she jerks in her step, shuddering whenever the unnatural lights and sounds act up again, sending chills up her spine.

As she nears the mound, she drops into a crouch and scuttles forward, accidentally kicking a fist-sized stone. It rolls and clatters noisily against the larger pile. Rough, hairy wolfish ears prick forward and emerald eyes glitter in the darkness, seeking to penetrate by some primordial power, the veil of shadows yet fail horribly as she gazes on naught but barefaced rock and hears nothing but the beating of hearts and the rasping of breath.

postition is now at U-18.
[roll0] Senses
Edit: Huh... I suppose it's opretty darn safe to say that a 10 didn't bag anything, eh?

Duke of URL
2008-03-10, 08:53 AM
Trevor

Seeing the party split up into two search teams, Trevor hedges by staying in the middle, ready to provide support either way if needed.

Madmal
2008-03-10, 11:09 AM
Jarel (and Jamian, if he's paying attention):
A wide dais spanning the back half of the western wing calls attention to a faded fresco upon the south, best, and north walls. From a vantage point at the center of the dais, the wall paintings makes it look like you stand within a massive room with seven short hallways radiating outward from a central point. A chain dangles from the ceiling at the end of each hallway, and each chain bears a gleaming colored lantern. Clockwise, the colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet.

Akra:
It's clear that the wolves used to dwell on this nearly blocked-off terminus. the debris is filled with the smell of wild animals, along with hundreds of bones and bone fragments from the creatures past meals. Most of them belong to animals, but a few are unmistakenly human.

You notice an old leather backpack on the northen half of the den, half-buried under a pile of humanoid bones.

Miraqariftsky
2008-03-10, 05:06 PM
PT-UIEEE!

Akra spits violently at the sight of the bag amongst the bones. Slowly, she inches forward and attempts to hook it out with the curve of an axeblade...

Zyks
2008-03-10, 05:29 PM
Yta'ir

The druid observes the rest of the group. His usual timidity enhanced by the presence of multiple human corpses.

This doesn't look like a promising situation

Madmal
2008-03-12, 10:16 PM
The backpack is easily dragged out of the pile, it contains some mostly useless items not worth of notice, with the exception of an elaborate lantern. (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g15/Omniprowl/WhisperinCairn/Lamp.jpg)

((still waiting for other actions...))

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-03-13, 02:08 PM
Naomi still hangs out in the center. She holds the torch as high as she can, to shine it's flickering light as far as she can.

Duke of URL
2008-03-13, 02:18 PM
Trevor's hanging out in the middle, too. Until he has detect magic at his disposal (2nd level), he's not much use as a scout, and prefers to be in the back when trouble arises.

Miraqariftsky
2008-03-15, 05:34 AM
The backpack is easily dragged out of the pile, it contains some mostly useless items not worth of notice, with the exception of an elaborate lantern. (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g15/Omniprowl/WhisperinCairn/Lamp.jpg)

((still waiting for other actions...))

Akra's emerald eyes bug out at the priceless glassware before her and she tremblingly puts it the bag back down. She then crouches and drops her axe, reaching for the bag and its precious contents.

Gingerly holding it at armslength by the very tip of its straps, the barbarian slowly stands and holds it out to the others. Her piercing green gaze implores roams the faces of her companions, lingering on Ita'ir's as she says, "This looks like it'd fetch a fine price... but 'm'afeard I might break it. And... and... Protector... I'm not sure... but methinks you might have to exorcise the spirits from that lantern--- 'tlooks too shiny to be a safe piece o' smithcraft..."

Zyks
2008-03-15, 07:50 AM
Yta'ir

The druid takes the lantern, and turns it over in his hands

uhh... It certainly doesn't look like the usual stuff. I can't say I've seen this sort of thing before

spellcraft check: [roll0]
Knowledge nature (you never know): [roll1]

Miraqariftsky
2008-03-15, 11:42 AM
Akra heaves a huge sigh of relief when the seemingly supernatural lantern is taken away from her hands. Running rough bronzed hands through her birdsnest of hazel-hued hair, she withdraws her hands, spits on them the rubs them together.

With spit-dripping hands held together, she bows toward the pile of bones and then towards the dead wolves. Getting up, she shuffles forward and picks out the four sturdiest femurs and the four best shoulder blades from the whole heap of bones. The femurs she ties up along with her lumber while the shoulder blades go into an extra exterior pocket of her pack so as not to spoil the rest of the trail rations within.

She then stands and retrieves her axe. Twirling the heavy weapon to shake the dust off, she asks Ita'ir, "I... I don't know if it's proper for me to ask, Your Worshipfulness, but... but, are you going to... um... bless the bones of the dead--- both men and beasts?"

kamikasei
2008-03-16, 09:07 PM
Jarel

Jarel looks at the corridor marked with a green lantern, then at the blue; then at the green light to the north, then back east at the blue lantern in Akra's possession. He doesn't say anything, but his right hand comes up and starts rubbing behind his earlobe.

After a moment he rummages around in his pack, removes a small candle, and tosses it towards the green-marked arch on the fresco, calling to the others as he does so:

"This looks like some magic may be operating."

The point being to see if the candle bounces off the wall or if the "fresco" works like a painted-on train tunnel in a Road Runner cartoon.

Madmal
2008-03-16, 09:46 PM
The candle bounces on the fresco, leaving a tiny wax mark.

Miraqariftsky
2008-03-16, 11:58 PM
"GAH!" Akra blurts out. "It's a gate of ghosts!"

kamikasei
2008-03-17, 12:25 PM
Jarel raises an eyebrow at Akra.

Duke of URL
2008-03-17, 02:00 PM
Trevor

Trevor does his best to ignore Akra's demonstrations. "That lamp... where is it again? I think it looks something like that one over there." He steps closer to the dais to look at the section of the mural with the blue lamp more closely.

kamikasei
2008-03-20, 06:24 AM
"Well, it seems this fresco is not in fact a magical portal to a fabulous realm beyond imagining. Or at least that if it is, we're not using it right."

Jarel retrieves his candle.

"Still, I'd guess we'll find a green lamp much like that other in the alcove to the north."

Duke of URL
2008-03-21, 08:29 AM
Trevor

"I agree... time to examine that strange green light."

Miraqariftsky
2008-03-21, 08:33 AM
"um...

...um...

Hey, wait fer me!" Akra blurts out as she races out of her stuttering stance of indecision and sprints to keep up with the others.


Postion: one space to the right of Jarel

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-03-22, 01:07 PM
Naomi follows behind. She didn't think that the fresco was going to be anything special; if it was some sort of magical portal, then she surely would have felt it.

Madmal
2008-03-25, 01:51 PM
Thick Cobwebs Completely cover the arch leaving to the next area, blocking any view of that chamber except the flickering green light (which seems to be a good distance to the north)

the ones standing close to it can see through the mess enough to notice that a short flight of stairs descends from the arch.

kamikasei
2008-03-25, 06:01 PM
More to this part than I'd thought, Jarel realizes.

"Are any of us locals?" he asks cheerfully. "Any hints or clues as to what the original purpose of this place was? So far its construction seems most odd."

He moves over to near the cobwebbed archway, positioning himself a short distance from Naomi, keeping her in front of him and to his left as much as is possible while remaining inconspicuous about it.

Zyks
2008-03-25, 06:18 PM
Yta'ir

Um. I guess you could say I'm local. Though... uh... I'm not really part of the civilised society. Wildsman and all that.

Maybe an intelligence roll anyhow? [roll0]

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-03-25, 06:35 PM
Your roll messed up.

And I'll do a bunch of rolls of my own:
Knowledge: Arcana:[roll0]

Intelligence Check: [roll1]

Zyks
2008-03-26, 03:37 AM
Yta'ir

try that again. Intelligence: [roll0]

Duke of URL
2008-03-26, 09:11 AM
Trevor

"Yes, I grew up here. Let me try to remember..." He thinks for a moment. "No, I don't recall ever hearing what it was ever meant for. It's only just ever been a ruin to me."


[roll0] (untrained) <== yeah, that'd be a failure, all right

Madmal
2008-03-26, 11:52 AM
Most of the individuals at Diamond Lake are more interested in trying to pay off their debts, so the cairn (and other ruins around the place) have been completely ignored for a long time, except for the children, who normally use them as hideouts, or on their "dare" games.

However, there is someone who might posses some information on the subject, the proclaimed "the smartest man in Diamond Lake", Allustan, who usually offers his intellect (and his library) to the citizens, at the exchange for some gold.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-03-26, 05:00 PM
"I'm not sure as to the purpose of the ruins myself," Naomi hazards. "But I think I know someone who might know. He's called Allustan, he knows just about everything there is to know. I've been to his place twice, with my dad..."

FLASHBACK
He was at a loss. His daughter was acting different. Things were happening that could only be described as 'wierd'. And so, he went to one of the most knowledgeable people he knew, nay, the most knowledgeable.
Naomi didn't know how he did it, whether it be magic, or just bookmagic, but Allustan was able to describe exactly what was happening. Everything made sense now. For the first time in the longest time, Naomi was happy. All of a sudden, she had a father who loved her, and it made her feel warm and fuzzy.
After a few days however, the same vacant stare now occupied her baby blue eyes. The same scratches returned on her face, though not nessecarily int he same places.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-01, 01:08 AM
((Sorry for the delay! Exams!))

"Aye?" Akra asks, grunting under the strain of carrying three dead wolves atop her load of lumber and bone-scraps. Spitting away the sweat that has trickled into her mouth, she shakes her head vigourously, sending a spray of sweat every whichway. "Well'n lass, 'dye reckon these 'ere wolf pelts'd fetch a fair price wid yer man Allustan?"

Madmal
2008-04-01, 12:03 PM
((no worries. I've been quite busy myself with college (lotsa stuff to read this semester) and one of my grandparents got me the flu while i was spending time with him. Besides, i just found out that the scanned article i had of Diamond Lake is missing about two pages of information.Nothing too big, but a little disconcerting.

Also, no-one daring to pass the cobwebs? that is, i don't suggest you should charge into them...))

Duke of URL
2008-04-01, 12:13 PM
Trevor

"Wait... are you suggesting we leave already? We just got here, and that green light seems to warrant looking into."

Tacitus
2008-04-01, 03:10 PM
Jamian

Through his visor he turns to gaze at Trevor, "We can always come back, you know. I doubt it will be going anywhere over the course of one single day."

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-02, 12:11 PM
"gimme the crazies, gimme the beasties... just not them bloody green ghosts! Well, I ain't 'fraid o' nuthin', 'slong as the Great Green Spirits have blest it..." Akra mutters beneath her breath.

Checking and tightening the straps on her pack and the ropes securing the lumber and the dead wolves, she gives a little jump just to make sure everything is tied down well. Flashing a friendly wink at Naomi, the barbarian asks her, "Hey Naomi, yer one wot lives in the town proper, right? D'ye know of any good marketplace where I could sell these 'ere buggers?"

Zyks
2008-04-02, 04:07 PM
Yta'ir

You can sell corpses in towns? I knew the area was bad but...

kamikasei
2008-04-02, 04:20 PM
"The pelts might be more likely to sell. On the other hand, there are people who will buy all sorts of odd things. Perhaps Naomi knows such a person." Here Jarel offers the sorceress a sort of crooked non-smile.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-04-02, 05:49 PM
"I'm not sure. I didn't really go out much, but you can probably find someone in one of the, uh, other areas of town." Naomi hopes fervently that her blushing will be hidden by the flickering torchlight.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-02, 11:03 PM
"Ah, 'tis the pelts and the lumber, yer Worshipfulness... folk i'these parts need the furs and the meat..." Akra says, bowing toward the druid.

"Ye mean the taverners' dives, lass?" she continues on a seemingly rambling rant with a distinctly nostalgic, homely tone, replying this time to Naomi and apparently not noticing the sorceress' distress. "Eh, I knew 'bout 'em... hellsteeth, that's where I used to work, coupla years back. Still got some friends 'mong the wenches at the Cheery Charcoal Inn. Vendra, ah... she makes some real good ale, and then some... ye gents care for a round on me, mebbe? 'Ey, uh, them taverns was where I usually sell me stuff... but, heck, now's I knows a lass like ye who's from the real town proper, mebbe ya knows sumthin' better... Yep, I needs ta make a good bounty on these're stuff, me kid bruther and sisser need all the help they can get, wot, after me fam'ly got mass'cred. Yup, killed dead they was, while I was gone with the wood... damn them to the bloody Abyss... "

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-04-03, 05:24 PM
"You can probably find a tanner who would pay for the skins, and some of the less, er, reputable butchers will buy just about anything."

kamikasei
2008-04-07, 04:30 AM
Jarel claps his hands together in a cheery gesture. "So!" he says brightly. "Is it back to the Lake, then? We haven't found much yet, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. If this Allustan can give us some idea what to expect further in it can't hurt to talk to him."

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-07, 04:44 AM
"If so, then so... Let's go..." Akra mutters, sinking back into a morose silence as the memories of her family's tragedy refuse to be repressed. A deep scowl darkens her brow and though she has slung away her axe in her shoulder harness, her oaken cudgel is in her hand, smacking loudly against her palm with every step.

Duke of URL
2008-04-07, 07:00 AM
Trevor

"Fine." He's clearly not happy about leaving without checking out the green light, and isn't shy about showing it, but he goes along with the group. He somehow manages to resist flinging a blast of eldritch energy at the webs.

Tacitus
2008-04-07, 08:20 AM
Jamian

The bloodied armor echoes its movements through the halls but the man within makes no sounds of his own.

Madmal
2008-04-25, 11:05 PM
It's close to mid day when you reach the town. As you walk your way along The Vein, you notice the little activity on the streets, since most of the inhabitants that doesn't work on the mines today have taken shelter from the bright sun. Some beggars implore for a copper and some stubborn merchants still roam the streets, along with the occasional passerby, in an urge to go home to fix themselves something to eat.

((Eyes are still healing, but i can see the screen quite clearly now.

You're now located in DA's central square, on the road between the church (4) and The Feral Dog (3) Refer to the link of the map on post #135 of the OOC thread))

kamikasei
2008-04-27, 03:16 PM
The bright sun doesn't seem to be very comfortable Jarel and he's looking a bit wilted in the heat as the group tromp along the street. There I was hoping to have a little longer than that away from this armpit of humanity...

"Which way then to this sage's study, O Scribe?"

Miraqariftsky
2008-05-01, 07:41 AM
"Wolf pelts! Wolf meat! Bone bits an' firewood chucks! Open'n price be five gold, yo!" Akra yells, hawking her wares.

Madmal
2008-05-02, 10:17 AM
Akra's announcement certainly dragged attention to you. A lot of heads are now turned towards you, people whisper between themselves, and some of them stay silent while they cosider the goods. However, they're quickly dismissed by an man on a rugged banded mail.

Now, now folks, move along or is a night in jail for ye...

he stands in front of you, inspecting.

Now. What on the nine hells do ye think ya're doing, disturbing the peace this way? wait, i don't care. either ye stop failing this beast corpses around, or i'll be obliged to confiscate them.

He pauses to spit at a side of the road through the gap made of a missing tooth.

Ye lot llook like a quiet bunch. Ye don't want drunkyards singing stupid songs right next to you as ye miss this nice day sitting on the damp cage, if ye catch me drift.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-05-02, 08:22 PM
Naomi tries to hide behind Jared. "Meep..."

Miraqariftsky
2008-05-03, 12:28 AM
"Rrrrrrriiiiiigggghhhttt..." Akra drawls into the officer's face. She meets the guard's eyes with her own deadly green gaze.

"I'd a-be much grateful, then... officer... if'n ya tells me where the proper marketplace is..." she says, barely hiding the disdain, distrust and detest in her voice, barely suppressing the snarl from her throat reaching her lips.

Tacitus
2008-05-03, 01:49 AM
Jamian

The binder throws up his hands and takes a half step back when the armored man appears, presumably the sheriff or a representative, and begins throwing his weight around. Holding his hands out defensively he makes no offensive motions, "Now hold on just one moment please. I cannot speak for the others, but I am personally rather new to this town and am unsure of where we might actually conduct such business. If I were more informed I could have made a suggestion to my overzealous friend here."

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Edit: *le sigh* just my luck...

Madmal
2008-05-03, 02:28 AM
The man lets out a sly grin at both Akra's repressed hate and Jamian's attempt at diplomacy.

Nice words there fancy, but imma no mood for thes.

He then eyes at Naomi and relaxes a little, adopting a more condescending tune.

Tell ye what, i'll let this one pass as a warning fellas; but i warn ye, Sherif Cubbin doesn't like the peace beign disturbed, and neither do i, there's enough ruckus at the dark hours.

Today's no market day, so i suggest ye do yer buissness in a quiet-er way. Thas is, if someone's crazy enough to to pay that much for a flea ridden beast, even less for those other two....

Still, the guy's at the Gar have a reputation of a good meat pie, but they also like doing funny stuff to them on te ocassion. They mey be interested, but yr better stop dreaming about getting that much for yer wares.

with this, the man gives you a grin and turns around, stumbling a little as he walks away from you,

kamikasei
2008-05-05, 04:06 PM
Jarel grinds his teeth as Akra and the others seem to manage to draw more and more attention with every exchange. Finally the sheriff, or deputy, leaves and he relaxes a little.

"Let's try and get the rest of our errand here dealt with discreetly. Better as few as possible get the idea that there's anything interesting in the cairn or we'll have even more complications to deal with."

[roll0]

Duke of URL
2008-05-06, 06:23 AM
Trevor

Trevor is hanging around not too closely to others, trying to make it appear that he has no idea who they are.

Miraqariftsky
2008-05-07, 09:18 AM
Akra spits viciously as the guardsman leaves. Bones crackle as she unclenches her fists.

Turning huffily to her companions, she says, "Well'n Naomi, where to's this 'ere Gar, eh?"


Knowledge Local [roll0]
Senses check [roll1]

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-05-07, 08:19 PM
"I-I'm sorry, what did you say, I couldn't quite catch that."

No seriously, in RL I have no idea what Akra means.

kamikasei
2008-05-09, 04:02 AM
"Perhaps you can direct Akra to the 'Gar' our sheriff friend mentioned," Jarel interrupts, hoping to head off Akra from confusing Naomi even further, "so that she can offload her wares discreetly and we can continue about our business without hindrance?"

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-05-09, 03:13 PM
"Oh, you mean the Hungry Gar? It's right over there."
Naomi points at the inn in question.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-05-11, 12:44 PM
Naomi takes a single step towards the inn in question, falters, and then continues, with a new confidence.

kamikasei
2008-05-13, 05:47 AM
Jarel gives Akra a half-bow and exaggerated "you-first" gesture towards the tavern.

Duke of URL
2008-05-13, 06:26 AM
Trevor

"None of this was my idea... go where you wish. Just make sure to tell me when we're going back to doing something interesting or important." He drifts off to the side again, trying to look like anything but a member of the group, while muttering under his breath, "wolf carcasses... mangy, flea-bitten wolf carcasses! What in the nine hells is she thinking?"

Madmal
2008-05-13, 08:30 PM
((i can't help agreeing a little with Trevor here... though it gives the chance for you to get to look around the town.

also, may i suggest you consider separating into two groups and join later on a spot? could move this a little faster, and some PC's wouldn't get bored.:smalltongue:

also, sending PM's to Zyks and Tacitus, regarding their status.))

kamikasei
2008-05-15, 07:02 AM
Jarel waits for Akra to head past him with her wares and then gestures to Naomi to hold on. "Why don't we deal with these tasks in parallel?" he says with a smile. "Our mercantile friend should be able to attend to her business with at most one local guide, and you can introduce me to the Sage in the meantime, with perhaps the added benefit that fewer eyes will mark our movements if we're not in the company of carrion. The rest of you, how will you go?"

Miraqariftsky
2008-05-16, 07:50 AM
"Hey, 'tain't fer me, 'tis fer me kid siblingsin Palyenna's orp'nage" Akra rumbles at Trevor as she heads over to the Gar. Yeah, five gold was a bit high... mebbe one or two silver should cut it better?

Duke of URL
2008-05-16, 07:59 AM
Trevor

"Yes, well... let's go for the information we came for, and then we can meet up with Akra some place a little... um... less public."

Madmal
2008-05-21, 01:35 PM
((*pokes* so? who's going with whom?))

Tacitus
2008-05-21, 05:01 PM
((Well if I had access to my sheet I'd see if there was any random pieces of gear we might need but not know we need and buy it, but The Tangled Web is doing something strange again...))

kamikasei
2008-05-29, 07:17 AM
"Well then, shall we say we'll meet back here in the square once our various business is concluded? Or perhaps our locals would recommend a suitable spot to wait in shade."

Madmal
2008-06-05, 02:42 PM
The Hungry Gar doesn't seem full yet, but judging from the smell of roasted meat coming from the kitchens, it seems some kind of event will occur soon. As you enter in, a lad appars from a side.

"Sorry Ma'am, but the tables has been reserved for some kind of welcome fest or somesuch, may i direct you to the bar?

------------------------
The manor in front of you gives an unkept appearance, at least in comparison to the front yard, with fresh grass, and a polished rock path leading towards a large oak door. A book rests on a large tree stump.

((the USB disk where i kept my notes got infected, sorry for the wait.))

kamikasei
2008-06-05, 03:14 PM
Jarel ambles up to the stump and starts leafing idly through the book. "Do we need a password? How is this fellow about uninvited guests?" he asks Naomi over his shoulder.

Duke of URL
2008-06-06, 06:33 AM
Trevor

"I'm not sure, myself. Nice grounds, though -- certainly not the part of town I normally deal with."

Tacitus
2008-06-11, 09:36 PM
Jamian follows whoever he was following and says nothing, still clad in his bloody full plate.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-06-12, 05:55 PM
"He should be fine with us, I think."

Naomi takes a seat on the stump, and crosses her legs.

Duke of URL
2008-06-13, 07:20 AM
Trevor

Trevor sighs. "This is already enough of a distraction. I'm not in much mind to simply wait around for something to happen." He heads toward the door and knocks on it.

kamikasei
2008-06-13, 10:38 AM
Jarel puts the book back as he found it and follows Trevor.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-06-14, 08:09 PM
Naomi leads them to the sages house, to the best of her memory.

Miraqariftsky
2008-06-17, 02:34 AM
((Sorry for the delay. Technical difficulties))

Akra grins at the boy and pats his head affectionately, remembering her own humble origins. "Sure, lead on, lad. I gots some business"

Madmal
2008-06-17, 02:55 PM
((No problem, due to the forum beign down each time i've tried to update, i'll pass this one. However, Zyks has been retired from the game. ))

"Business you say, Ma'am? well, if it's not eating, i better get the boss. Here."
The boy takes your hand and leads you to a door on a corner, right next to the end of the bar. He then opens it and enters.
"Wait. I'll see if i can fetch him for you. Tis whole fest thing have been gotten on his nerves lately."

-----------------------
"Yes? i told you already, crops will be fine! unless you're the cabbage farmer.."
A man (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g15/Omniprowl/WhisperinCairn/Allustan.jpg) in his late thirties appears at the door, blinking from the light outside and taking some dust off an sleeve.
"Oh. Well, this certainly looks like an improvement on customers...Yes, may i help you?"

Miraqariftsky
2008-06-23, 02:57 AM
"Be that th'way 'tis, then?" Akra drawls in response. While waiting, she unslings her burdens and sets them up against the bar and sidles up to a barstool, leaning against it, not sitting upon it. Her hand drifts idly to the bowl of complementary peanuts that are on every bar and munches loudly while waiting.

When the proprietor arrives, she stands up to him and meets his gaze. Getting to the point quickly, she says, "Hail, 'keep. I see ye be a busy man an' I won't bother ye overmuch. I been hunting. Wolf pelts, meat, bones--- all fresh. Me starting price be eight silvers"

kamikasei
2008-06-24, 07:56 AM
Jarel steps forward with a cheery smile. "We certainly hope so, my good sir!" he replies. "- if you are that Allustan whose reputation for sagacity and scholarship has brought us here. We are students of history, and come seeking to learn somewhat from you of the history of this area. Our study is sponsored by the church of the Silent Lady, and our particular area of inquiry is the history of burial and memorial traditions in this part of the land; it is our understanding that you are well-versed in such matters..."

Madmal
2008-06-26, 11:58 PM
"Inna rush, right? Most hunters prefer to make their buissness at the lodge, but well, letse what ye got."

The man inspects the trio of beast with low care, while cleaning a knife on a bloodt-stained apron.

"two of them wont do me much good, but the last one seems to make up for these...and i don't consider myself a good appraiser, specially versus such a straighfoward gal like ye." he smiles at you. "Seven silvers would be enough for this buy aye, curse my bad luck, i'm low on small coins today, the guests soon to come are big expenders, from the Free City. Some trio of explorers that think they can find anything on those old ruins up there..."

"but well, if you're not inna rush, i can fetch one of mah boys to get some change; or....well, you could prove yer g ut, for a piece of gold per head, a bet of sorts, if ye catch my drift, i'm pretty sure i'll score some heavy bags of cash after all this is over with."

"Hey, Johnson! go and fetch me a glass!"

(If you choose to take the dare, you'll be confronted with the nauseating tankard of a foul-smelling liquid (a typical bar feature, if i must comment). Roll a Fortitude save if so.)
---------------

So, the church of the Silent Lady, you say? well, you don't have the appearance of simple scholars, and i doubt those would be willing to enter these places...besides, simple scholars rarely wear armor...needless to say about bleeding ones... He eyes Jamian as he says this, and then to Naomi and Trevor

Anyways, i'm sorry to comunicate you that the information i posses about this topic is quite extensive, and not all of it is at the tip of my tongue. I'll take some time while while i research, but it would be easier if you helped me narrow the search. Any specific area you're interested in?

(Gwyn: can you PM me the new link to your character sheet?)

Miraqariftsky
2008-06-27, 07:07 AM
Akra's emerald eyes narrow and one side of her hard lips rises in a lopsided grin... or mayhap a snarl. "Whatsay ye ta seven silvers, seven coppers, 'keep? I can wait a tad..."

Her smile widens at the prospect of both profit and a helping of liquor against to dull the pangs of the day's exertions and the bite of the night air... but then a deadly gleam sets in her eyes as she remembers that it was because of gambling, because of sottishness that her family was slaughtered. A savage snarl seethes out of her throat and her white-knuckled hand grips the bar tightly as the thought occurs to her that the ruthless gambling lord who had ordered the rubout might still have his claws in dingy dives such as this.

If I win this, 'twill be for the future of li'l Ydril and Ydron. If I lose, 'tis just some shame and one gold piece... I still have my old wages from my wenching days and the take from previous hunting trips... Might even get some clue, vague the chance may be, of the ones who took out father and the rest of us...

Her mouth a hard, grim line, Akra slams her fist on the bar, leaving a gold coin there and growls out, "Bring it. I hate gambling, but my kid brother an' sister need the money. Parents were killed and I'm all they have left."

When the foul beverage is served, she doesn't flinch, doesn't even look at it but stares straight ahead and drinks it all in one solid shot.


Rage-boosted Fort save: [roll0]

*directed at everybody, looking for anybody suspicious (besides the usual tavern scum*
V
V
V
Spot check [roll1]
Listen check [roll2]
Sense Motive [roll3]

kamikasei
2008-06-30, 05:03 AM
Jarel's smile broadens. "Well now, I say that we are students not scholars. Ours is a broad course of study, which is why we were chosen for this task. Fieldwork requires a different approach to book study, after all."

He studies his fingernails. "We are tasked with exploring the crypts, cairns and mausoleums in this area. The Church expects that there is much to be learned from them, but is anxious to ensure their integrity, from graverobbers and... other miscreants. And of course on top of that there are concerns about safety, the safety of less robust scholars to follow! Anything you can tell us about records of explorations of local resting-places, accounts of raids or delvings or desecrations, or details of hazards or traps in their construction... such would be most apprecated."

"And of course," he adds conversationally, "the sooner this information may be gathered, the greater its value to us. And the more discretion is exercised... the better for all concerned." The smile can now fairly be called sharp. "We wouldn't want opportunistic individuals to hear of our interest and get the idea they should go hunting for treasure in the old family tomb. Enough history has been lost that way..."

Hmmm, suppose I should make some rolls.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Bluff isn't a huge deal - Jarel doesn't much care if Allustan doesn't believe the cover story, he just doesn't want to come right out and say what he's up to. He will angle for diplomacy and won't try intimidation unless the scholar seems actively uncooperative.

Madmal
2008-07-04, 10:15 PM
"Well, i'll be dammed. i didn't really thought a lass like you would have the gut to handle so well, but a bet is a bet, i guess."

He searches on a pocket and drops 2 gold pieces.
"Here ya go. Guld Tortikan's the name. hope you drop by sooner, prices aren't this hight normally." He then nods a you, and turns to yell at somebody while returning to the kitches, dragging the larger wolf. In a couple of minutes, the lad you saw earlier comes in , and picks the other ones.
----------------------------

"You seem to be a little outdated with the information mister, afterall, the mayor part of the incomings in these town for many years was because of adventuring, all these ruins around were eagerly torn from their riches. However... those 3 adventurers came all the way from the Free City to investigate the Stirgenest Cairn..." He seems to be lost in his thoughts for a moment or two, and the abruptly direct to you.

"There are tons of ruins around, some of them ravaged decades ago, and others that have been left mostly intact, as diverse as they come...Are you going to make competition on the Stirgenest Cairn, or is it another one that has caught your eyes? My knowledge on some of the most obscure ones is limitated without some time for research, and the cost that this implies, but i can give you some advice anyways. Is it really the Stirgenest Cairn? mind you, that'd mean competing with adventures obviously more skilled than yourself..."

Tacitus
2008-07-04, 10:36 PM
Jamian

Blood weeps from between the joints of the full plate as he reaches up to slide up the visor of his armor. His smiling face is warm as he speaks, "Ah, no. Our mission would most likely be more successful if we preserve the older sites first and then make an effort to clear out the foolhardy from already violated mausoleums so that we can make restorations in peace. I have taken notice that someone was looking for individuals to look through the... Whispering Cairn, I believe. If we knew more about it we would be able to preserve it with greater efficiency and keep others out."

My take on Diplomacy: [roll0]
And a bluff if needed for the cover story, even thought Jarel likely blew it: [roll1]

Miraqariftsky
2008-07-06, 11:44 AM
Akra's eye twitches as she hacks up a gob of spittle and lobs it into the copper spittoon and then wipes her lips clean of the vile brew with the back of her leathern bracer. She pushes the glass away, belches and stands. Gathering her earnings and tucking them into her bosom, she nods respectfully and growls to Guld, punching him in the shoulder in a cordial manner. "Guld Tortikan, eh? Akra. Pleased ta meetcha an' tis been good doin' business wi' ye..."

Baring her teeth, she says, "Two coppers for a good answer. Where be the home o' this 'ere sage, by name of Allustan?"

Vampiric
2008-07-07, 04:21 PM
Those of you at Allustan's, and facing down towards town, notice a small, cloaked figure with a limp, making their way up to the house.

The figure has a staff, appearing to aid his walking, and finally makes it to the house, although he waits until Allustan finishes before attempting to make notice of himself...

"Excuse me. You would be the one known as Allustan, who has knowledge of the surrounding tombs?"

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-07-07, 08:03 PM
(Sorry, I've been away a lot, and only on once in a while. My great grandmother is really sick, so...)

Naomi lets the others do most of the talking, and when the newcomer arrives, eyes him carefully, taking in details. Who is he? And, most importantly, why is he here?

Tacitus
2008-07-07, 10:48 PM
Jamian

The man clad in bloodied full plate turns his gaze to the newcomer and the bright smiling face turns to an almost fearsome visage. Blood oozes from the points where plates of metal join together, "This would be the place, aye, but who are you to inquire? A scholar? A troubadour searching for tales? A treasure hunter?"

Vampiric
2008-07-08, 05:21 AM
"I am a hunter of treasures, indeed, but this kind of treasure is the kind that nations crumble from, people die for, and is sold for kingdoms..."

The newcomer lowers his hood, revealing a fairly good looking male halfling. He smiles graciously at all those present, noting the blood in Jamian's armour, and Naomi's quietness.

"I am here to seek information about the Cairns and Tombs that are in this area - specifically, if anything other than gold is known to have been removed from them..."

Duke of URL
2008-07-08, 06:39 AM
Trevor

"You search for something other than gold? What, pray tell, would you expect to find in such places of more interest?"

kamikasei
2008-07-08, 06:41 AM
"Oh, people leave all sorts of interesting things among their dead."

Jarel's voice has its usual half-mocking sound, but he's no longer smiling as he studies the new arrival.

Vampiric
2008-07-08, 06:53 AM
"The greatest treasure of them all - knowledge."

He frowns slightly at Jarel.

"Those who belittle the wisdom, and folly, of those who are gone, are the ignorant who repeat their mistakes."

Madmal
2008-07-10, 11:28 PM
"Sure Thing, go 'cross the square, and follow the road betwee the Feral Dog and the chrurch, until you reach Venette's. Then take a left, and got until the end of that path, house's overe there, tower and all. If ye get lost, just ask around again."
---------------------
Allustan nods at the halfing as he clears his thrat.
The Whipering Cairn, you say? it has been flaid aside from countless of years now, probably was one of the first ones to be explored...so the chances of finding something will be definately higher...

At the moment, all i can remember is that that cairn was rumored to be the burial ground of an important figure of an ancient civilization, long gone before the first colonists took shelter on these mountains. However, the tomb the expedition group uncovered was empty, a possible false room to misdirect intruders, i dare especulate. The last thing i heard about it is that about a decade ago, some boy was sighted near the entrance, never to come back.

The details about the history of this civilization eludes my mind at the moment, just that it had a very strong connection with the elemental plane of air and its denizens. I may be able to provide you with more information on this culture for a modic price and some hours left alone for research. Interested? such subject of studies rarely presents itself these days, i must confess you've awoken my curiosity on the matter...

Miraqariftsky
2008-07-24, 11:34 PM
((Sorry for taking so long!))

"Thanks, sar" Akra says as she restores and secures her monies to their proper places and claps the barkeep on the shoulder. Turning about, she makes for the exit, but not without giving the youthful attendant who had first led her to the bar a playful slap on the rump.

Outside, she marks the trees and posts and buildings of near the square then makes swiftly for Mother Palyenna's orphanage at the nearby temple. There, she drops off her purse of forty-two gold pieces from various odd jobs and winnings to serve as her support for her two younger siblings. She then embraces them quickly and gives them the bones that she had earlier taken that they might either be carved by them or used as toys... or both...

With her eyes watering, she bids them farewell then lopes off back to the square, makes a few mistakes in running and finally arrives at the residence of Allustan the sage. Thumping on the door, she huffs out, "Is... is... th-his whar Alloshtan-ha-han... lives?"

Vampiric
2008-07-25, 05:02 AM
((OOC: we're stood outside the house... sooo, I can respond as you've written, or you might want to modify it slightly... :smalltongue:))

Miraqariftsky
2008-07-25, 05:41 AM
((Missed my Spot check))

Regaining her breath, Akra straightens and then leaps back shock as it dawns on her that several folk are already there at the porch of the sage's home. Her weapon comes half-drawn when she squints through the haze of liquor and the brightness of noontide and sees that they are but her comrades from the earlier foray, a cloaked halfling and somebody who is presumably the long-sought sage.

Readjusting her axe in its harness, she smiles ruefully then bows deeply to the newcomer and their. "Hail, yorr. Well met, are we? Kye'm Akra, huntress wot was wid 'em arrlier. Ye be tha sage Allustan, I presume? An' ye, what h'name go ya by, little pilgrim?"

kamikasei
2008-07-27, 02:33 PM
"I'm sure we can find some room in our budget to compensate you," Jarel assures the old man, "though of course you will understand we're not awash in funds."

He produces a silver coin - from where isn't clear - and begins running it over his fingers, back and forth. "Half now, half tomorrow on delivery of your findings? What are your rates?"

Madmal
2008-07-28, 08:07 PM
8 pieces of gold should be enough for a first-comer rate. As i've said, this would surely involve umburying some texts from my collection. People these days don't care much about the past, and focus more on mundane issues.

Tacitus
2008-07-28, 09:32 PM
Jamian

The bloodied armor shifts slightly and from the pack the monstrous thing carries he produces five coins and a few scraps of obscure writings. Not marred at all by the blood his suit otherwise seems to drip at every moment the golden wafers and yellowed scraps are extended towards the sage, "One half, plus another piece for any information you might have in relation to what are on these papers. If you find anything useful I might have more coin that I'd find too heavy to carry myself."

The papers are incomplete pages from a tome about The Far Realms and Vestiges, namely Savnok the Instigator, from whom Jamian has borrowed his armor. If he knows nothing of them there are not enough details to know the information is the work of heretics against almost all major religions.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-07-29, 09:45 AM
Naomi reaches into the sleeve of her dress, now sadly muddy, and pulls out 3 gold coins. They catch the light slightly, and the light is reflected into Naomi's eyes. She grimaces, and turns the coins so the light is no longer reflected at her face.

Duke of URL
2008-07-29, 10:21 AM
Trevor

Trevor fights back the urge to sigh, reminding himself that the sooner they get the information, the sooner they can leave.

Vampiric
2008-07-29, 11:18 AM
"I too am willing to contribute extra gold, if you find yourself in possession of information about potential inhabitants of the Cairn, or of Deities that may have shown interest there..."

Madmal
2008-08-08, 12:30 PM
Allustan collects the gold and bows.
"very well, i should have the information you require in one or two days, it's been my pleasure dealing with you, young adventurers."

((I had to neglect the boards for some family issues i had. If someone want to do something else in town, please discuss it on the OOC thread. you all add 75 xp each for roleplaying, advancing the game, excuses for the unnaunced hiatus, and other minor factors.))

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-08-08, 12:39 PM
One or two days!
Naomi sighed. This would take longer than I thought. They would have to get rooms in the Tavern, or maybe I could find a friend to bunk with...
Oh, wait. I don't have any real friends.
Damn.

Duke of URL
2008-08-08, 12:43 PM
Trevor

As the group leaves, Trevor finally breaks his not too restrained silence. "As expected... a complete waste of time. And probably gold, too. So, do we waste still more time waiting to hear back what will likely prove to be useless information, or do we return and forge on. I thought I had signed up with 'adventurers', after all."

Miraqariftsky
2008-08-11, 01:43 PM
"BAH!" Akra spits then says, "I seh we go on and do whatevers we gots ta do. Root about them outlands fer whatever tis we're lookin' fer. Just gimme 'nuff grog an' I migh' ev'n take o' them ghosts wot we met arrlieer."

kamikasei
2008-08-11, 02:51 PM
Jarel keeps his peace until anyone else who wants to speak up has done so and he's gotten to see their reactions. Then he chimes in with something like a diplomatic contribution. "I don't know that 'adventuring' requires us to jump blindly into dangerous situations - it never hurts to have some foreknowledge." He smiles at Trevor. "But I have to agree that the wait for this information will be too long. If we wait until Allustan has results before we go back, something else may have moved in to replace those wolves and we'll simply have made more work for ourselves. Better to head back as soon as possible and use the information he may provide to identify anything we turn up."

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-08-11, 08:30 PM
"I don't know... If we go one way... but if we go the other... I think... we should go forward... back to the cairn..."

Vampiric
2008-08-12, 07:47 AM
Milo

"Well, fellows, I guess I will be joining you in this trip. The name is Milo Ganhorn - Favoured Soul of Boccob."

Milo holds out a hand, offering it to anyone who looks like they might shake it.

"I don't suppose we could persuade you to have the information sooner, Allustan? Perhaps you have an interest in the Cairn itself?"

Milo rests on his staff, taking the weight off his limp.

Madmal
2008-08-17, 08:47 PM
Yes, i confess the old tombs have fascinated me since a child, and is one of the reasons i returned here. About the time, it's an estimated guess, but i hope i'll be able to find the necessary information soon.

With this, Allustan bows again and re-enters his manor.

Madmal
2008-08-22, 10:27 AM
((activating railroading mode...))

Whispering Cairn, around 03:00 PM

The Cairn once again stands in front of you, nothing seems to have changed while you were out, even the dust seems inmobile.

You walk your way passing the apparatus unto the whispering room.

At your left, the fresco seems undisturbed, except for the wax mark done by Jarel by tossing a candle at it while your previous visit.
At your right, the debris where Akra dug out a worn-out backpack from a pile of bones.

and in front of you, the flickering green light barely shinning behind the arch covered in cowebs.

what do you do?

Vampiric
2008-08-22, 11:23 AM
Milo

Facing the green light, Milo will cast 'Detect Magic' (with accompanying magical looking light between his hand, just so that everyone knows he's casting), and concentrates for 3 rounds.

Madmal
2008-08-22, 01:10 PM
((the spell reveals that there isn't any magical auras within range.))

As the closest light source aaproaches the arch, millions os tiny spiders scurry away, the webs are still dense, but you can see a set of stairs behind, leading to a larger room.

((just to clarify: the green light started as a tiny flicker at the entrance of the cairn, and it's gotten bigger as you approach it, but there's still a small distance between you and it.))

kamikasei
2008-08-22, 01:19 PM
Jarel watches the newcomer in silence while he peers into the arch, waiting for some kind of reaction to what he might be seeing. Once satisfied he's waited long enough, he moves forward.

"One more unto the breach, then," he says to no one in particular, and produces his Akra-stick with a flourish. With the stick in his left hand he begins sweeping away the cobwebs, while his right reaches somewhere among his clothing and returns to present the barbarian woman with a pair of copper coins held out as if setting up a magic trick.

"Your compensation," he tells her. "I'm inclined to hold on to such a useful item."

Vampiric
2008-08-22, 01:27 PM
Milo

"I am unable to detect any source of magic. Though I think it means that the light is non-magical, it could be further away than we thought..."

Milo picks up his staff, and also helps to sweep the cobwebs away, before limping on, cautiously, keeping an eye open.

Sense check after the cobwebs:

[roll0]

Duke of URL
2008-08-22, 01:45 PM
Trevor

Trevor hangs back until the cobwebs are cleared, and follows along behind the others.

Madmal
2008-08-22, 04:05 PM
A wide stairway descends into an immense domed chamber. Seven short tunnels branch from the room in all directions, extending some 30 feet before ending in rounded walls. At the terminus of each passage, a thick chain dangles from an unseen high ceiling. 5 of the chains bear colorful lanterns, but 2 hold nothing at all. Opposite the entry stairs, a bright green lantern containing what looks like a torch casts a weird, murky light about the room. Countless chips of glass and shiny metal inset into the chamberís domed ceiling reflect this light, giving the impression of starlight and falling snow. The dome starts about 10 feet off the ground and reaches an apex about 30 feet over the center of the room.

Below the domeís peak, a long dais holds what appears to be a marble sarcophagus. A milky white bas-relief figure, perhaps of a human, rests passively upon the sarcophagus lid. Unlike the rest of the tomb, this room is completely silent.

((Map to come later))

kamikasei
2008-08-22, 06:04 PM
I assume the lit green lantern you mention is at the end of the passageway opposite the stairs, not something separate from the set of coloured lanterns in the seven alcoves.

Can you confirm that the lanterns still visible match up in position with the fresco on the dais in the room at the top of the stairs? If remembering calls for it, here's an Int/Wis check (same modifier, so whichever is relevant): [roll0]

Tacitus
2008-08-22, 09:41 PM
Jamian

The warrior in the blooded plate merely seems to be following along, unsure of what to do as he awaits a suggestion from someone else.

Madmal
2008-08-22, 10:08 PM
except for the two missing, yes.

kamikasei
2008-08-23, 05:50 AM
Jarel looks around the domed chamber. "So this is what the painted dais above was depicting." He circles the room, avoiding the center for now, studying the layout. "Akra," he calls, "do you still have that blue lantern you found above?"

While she answers, he approaches the sarcophagus, moving cautiously in case of unseen mechanisms, and inspects it. He pays particular attention to any clue as to its contents, any sign of a way to open it (or whether it's locked), and any connection between it and the rest of the room.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Madmal
2008-08-23, 08:06 PM
The sarcophagus (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g15/Omniprowl/WhisperinCairn/coffin.jpg) lid bears a white stone relief of a tall figure cloaked in a simple garment of flowing cloth and wearing a scarab-like amulet inscribed with a strange symbol around its neck. It at first looks human, but after some examination, itís revealed that is about 7 feet tall, completely hairless, and of indeterminate sex.. Itís arms and hands rest at its side. The left hand curls upon itself in a fist, but the right is places palm up, with the thumb turned in and all but the index finger (which is missing) held parallel to the arm.

The sarcophagus rests upon a small raised platform carved in the shape of an stylistic arrow, with the tip aligned with the head of the relief upon the lift, and pointing towards the orange lantern.

(edit: sarcophagus pic added)

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-08-23, 08:11 PM
"I wonder who this was..." Naomi thinks aloud, as she is wont to do.

Tacitus
2008-08-23, 08:52 PM
Jamian

He glances at the sarcophagus and studies it for a moment, rummaging through his limited knowledge for anything of use. Hey, he might get lucky. Maybe. He also has a suggestion, "With as spiffy as this place used to look before all the cobwebs and wolf feces, whoever it was probably wasn't a nobody. Can anyone check it for traps? I don't want to brush up against it and wind up blowing us up."

[roll0] +4 if Planes applies.

Madmal
2008-08-23, 09:16 PM
((since PM box is full:

This glyph at the neck seems similar to the one found on the apparatus, but while that one seemed to represent the name of someone with a high status, this one seems to be from a lower rank or caste. Again, it's reminiscent of arcane symbols representing elemental air.))

Tacitus
2008-08-23, 09:24 PM
Jamian

He raises an eyebrow at the symbols, "More symbols of air-aligned beings. I cannot read them, but they seem to be of less importance than the ones discovered on the apparatus above." He glanced to Milo, "Can you read it?"

Vampiric
2008-08-24, 01:22 PM
"Not yet, but I do know a spell that can aid me. Though it might be worth checking for traps, too. Does anyone recall if the fresco had writing, too? There may be clues there.

Does anyone have an idea where the missing lantern is, as you possess one already?"

Knowledge check for the sarcophagus

Kn. History [roll0]

And another for the lanterns

Kn. History or Arcana (same bonus) [roll1]

After knowledge check and a response about the fresco, he casts 'Comprehend Languages' and reads the symbols (and goes back to the fresco if someone says there is words/symbols).

Tacitus
2008-08-24, 09:21 PM
Jamian

He shakes his head, "I do not recall any writing on the fresco, but I did not examine it in detail so I may be wrong. However, perhaps it would be prudent to read the symbols on the damaged artifact we found above."

Vampiric
2008-08-25, 05:46 AM
"The writing is an ancient form of Auran, sometimes considered to be the original form, called Vaati.

I suggest that at some point we light the rest of the lanterns, but not yet. See if we can find the last one, first."

Milo walks back to the artifact, studies it, then walks back to the sarcophagus.

"The artifact and sarcophagus are both written in Vaati, and contain personal seals. The artifact has the name 'Icosiol', and the sarcophagus has the name 'Zosiel'. Maybe those names will come in handy later...."

Miraqariftsky
2008-08-27, 08:43 AM
"NRRRAAAAAAAGGGGHHHKKK!"

KLA-ping!

A guttural scream issues forth from the outer reaches of the cairn. Heavy footfalls crash through the long-forsaken hall.

Suddenly, Akra bursts into the green-lit room and bashes her axe against the opposite wall. Steel and stone together clash. Sparks fly as a chip of the heavy old blade zings across the room and the ancient masonry is gouged deeply.

She casts about with a feral gleam in her eyes, her hair disheveled and stormy. Practically spitting into the face of the nearest person, she yells, her breath reeking of the heady alcohol she had imbibed earlier. "THE POTATOES ARE COMING! THEYS BRINGING THUNDER AND LIGHTNING! RUN FER YER LIVES!"


Hey folks. Sorry about the craziness. Had to come up with an IC excuse for being late, somehow...

Duke of URL
2008-08-27, 09:01 AM
Trevor

"Ah, Akra. So, uh, pleased that you could rejoin us."

Madmal
2008-08-27, 09:14 AM
((er...well., i assumed i railroaded all of you into the cairn again...but still..i'd be laughing like a maniac right now, if i wasn't at work. :smalltongue:))

((now, carry on))

kamikasei
2008-08-28, 07:09 AM
"It's all right, Akra," Jarel says in a soothing voice. "The potatoes can't come down here, the cairn will have been warded against them. Now, do you have that lantern we found upstairs earlier? The blue one?"

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-08-28, 09:56 AM
A smile light Naomi's face; they were such opposites, Akra and herself.

She moves to the center of the room, on top of the Dais, and looks up at the domed cieling, entranced by the flashes of light reflected off of the Mosaic.

"I wonder if the hill was built over this dome..."