PDA

View Full Version : Anarchy in the D&D (IC)

Pages : [1] 2

Jay Emby
2008-01-30, 05:58 PM
It's a dark and stormy night.

The wind howls outside, and inside it swirls in the upper reaches of the ancient colossal temple that your king Paladin has taken for his "castle". Massive pillars carved into the fantastic forms of dragons rise to the vaulted ceiling that hides beyond the light from the bonfire raging in the center of this grand hall. You've heard the story many times about how he slew the giant that lived in this echoing chamber, but that doesn't stop him from retelling it now, as you sit at his Round Table. You're not likely listening, perhaps more interested in the ale being served by the slave-wenches of Roland's Traveling Tavern.

I'll let you chat amongst yourselves for the moment. (and make up what you want, which is why I've been so brief.)

The_JJ
2008-01-30, 06:51 PM
So, are we in charactor here? if so...

Cefos, now the king's high preist, kicks himself backwards in his chair, clearly bored with the king, and wishing his mentor hadn't died last week and left him to deal with the king himself. Normally he would be in this meeting while Cefos could be sitting by the fire in his room, reading a book.

if not:
I have no plan, except to go with the flow. If you guys wanna break with Palidin at any time and strike out, fine with me. I'd just recomend getting a few levels first.

Torger
2008-01-30, 07:05 PM
Xerxes

In the silence between claps of thunder, the large, double doors of the hall creak open, revealing a darkly-cloaked figure, seeming somewhat tall, even in the dwarfing Large-sized doors. His hobnailed boots click on the flagstones as he enters, the rustling of metal links and the dripping of water from his cloak the only sounds as he approaches.

Stopping before the King's chair, he bows slightly, the gesture seeming disdainful and arrogant even with his face still hidden. Doffing his cloaks, he wordlessly hands it to one of the servant girls, revealing beautifully crafted ovular chainmaille beneath dusty-coloured robes. His dark skin glistens with the rainwater in the light of the fire as he takes his seat. The Black cat that accompanied him leaped into his lap and he absently stroked its head, patently ignoring the King and observing his fellows critically.

It was a Dark and Stormy night? Seriously? :smalltongue: Oh, and I claim Blue.

Meloku
2008-01-30, 07:45 PM
Renar

The... well, well-armed gentleman sitting at one of the more open seats of the table peers at the newcomer, before taking another drink, and saying to himself

"Ahh. That's the life, innit? Ale, comfort, women?"

Well, obviously it's a dark and stormy night. It's either that or a tavern, right?

right?

Voth
2008-01-30, 08:17 PM
Val

Sitting up straight at the sight of this newcomer, Val is snapped out of his meditation. Being bored with Paladin's daily bragging, Val has developed the mastery of sleeping with his eyes open. Taking a moment to carefully examine this newcomer as well as the other members around the table, Val silently wonders when he'll be told the reason behind his summons.

When will he shut up! Everyone has heard this story at least 10 times. Its not as though he makes it more interesting each time. For someone who likes to brag, the least he could do is make his false tale more exciting!

It could be,"It was a dark and stormy night when an old man approached your party in a tavern." Oh and I call red!

PlasticSoldier
2008-01-30, 11:46 PM
Sam

Sam sitting at the table watches the people around the rest of the table, while waiting he'll summon his familiar -a small kitten- and feed it some scraps of food.

Dark Green is mine!

Torger
2008-01-30, 11:54 PM
Xerxes

Herdes leans away from the reeking, ale-soaked breath of his neighbor, refusing to make comment on the infidel's uncouth speech or poor bathing habits. Instead, he observes the others, the bookish priest in clerical robes, and noting with some approval the feline companion of one of his fellows. He murmurs softly to his on feline, in strangely accented speech. Observe, Isis... This one has a companion for you...

Voth
2008-01-31, 01:26 AM
Val

Whispering to the newcomer, Val offers out a hand.

"Greetings, and welcome. You come at a fine time since our King is once again babbling on about how he came about this fortress. My name is Val, and yours is?"

Torger
2008-01-31, 05:36 PM
Xerxes

Xerxes slowly pans across to the one who speaks to him, and stares silently just long enough to make the smile waver on the man's face. I am Xerxes, son of Darius the Great, Exiled to this damnable, water-logged northern land these fourteen years.

Voth
2008-01-31, 07:03 PM
Val

Cocking an eye brow in wonderment, Val whispers to Xerxes, "Exiled you say? Interesting. Might I inquire what for?"

The_JJ
2008-01-31, 07:20 PM
Orange

The priest glances at the King, unsure of how he will take being interupted

I'll take a knowledge (history) check on darius

[roll0]

Torger
2008-01-31, 08:45 PM
Xerxes

Noting with satisfaction that more of the table's patrons were paying attention to him than to the incompetent blow-hard whom he was using to further his own aims, he settled back and began to spin his tale. My father was the Pharaoh of the Children of the Desert Sun. He ruled a vast empire with both honour and integrity, along with our allies, the Followers of the Searing Wind. My mother came from that clan, and her marriage to Darius ensured the peace in the realm. For thirty-eight years, the lands of the Desert Sun and the Searing winds new naught but peace and expansion, with the only real threat being The Citadel of the Living Earth, an rather militant clan of Dwarves. My Uncle Ramses invited my father to conference, to discuss the elimination of this threat, and it was there that my Uncle's Betrayal began.

Xerxes takes up the goblet on the table, drains it, and then crushes it in a mailed fist, grimacing at the foul concoction.

Meloku
2008-01-31, 08:54 PM
Renar

"Ah, a tale of betrayal! And you'll be looking for revenge, then, I hope!"

warlock2000
2008-01-31, 09:04 PM
Dart

The newest member to join the gathering walks through the large doors. He is wearing a blue cloak which hangs down to cover just over his eyes and is soaking wet. Although it is hard to tell his exact size, he appears to be a bit on the short side for a human. A friendly smile for all can be seen from beneath his hood.

"Sorry for my lateness my liege, but I wasn't expecting such weather."

As one of the servant girls come to take his cloak he politely turns down the jester. With a quick twist of his hand and a quiet mumble the cloak begins to dry and the mud vanishes slowly. As it does he takes a seat as far from the cats as possible. Knowing that when the King starts the story of the fallen temple giant he is basically deaf to those around him he takes in everyones presence.

"How did everyone else find their trip?"

Dark Slate Gray is mine. I think Prestidigitation can clean and dry right?

Torger
2008-01-31, 09:12 PM
Xerxes

Xerxes glowers at the slobbering drunk for a moment before continuing. Thus, I have pledged my life, my soul, and my very being to Bast, in exchange for the power and ability to take my vengeance. She sent me Isis, here, to guide me, and unfortunately, she lead me to this damnable fecund wasteland, and to this... demesnes.

The_JJ
2008-01-31, 09:23 PM
The cleric on the end of the table frowns. :smallannoyed:
Ah, another religious man eh? Tell me, how do you feel about letting other gods into your life?

knowledge check (religion) on Bast (+4)

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-01, 01:21 AM
Aaron

The door crashes open, a heavily cloaked figure enters, supporting a wizened old man. The old man is dressed in an expensive black cloak with fur trim. The lighting shows his face... A twisted and badly healed wound crosses from the top left of his face to the bottom right. His nose barely escaped, the wound passes across one nostril (where a white scar tracks its progress) and down across the middle of the right side of his jaw. Slowly and painfully he makes his way to the table. Looking around for a moment, he pauses, then sits.

"weellll weellllll.... how is everyone tonight? Doing well I trust?" He smiles, taking in the various expressions of those around him.

His cloaked servant stands motionlessly behind and to the right of him. His servant is heavily cloaked, and within the hood you can see nothing but a mask, carved smoothly from dark wood with holes for eyes and mouth.

who needs colors? i call fixedsys! in other news : yes, a few levels would be nice... hope you all have no problem with my skeleton minion... hes not going anywhere :)

Jay Emby
2008-02-01, 05:40 PM
With a cursory nod, King Paladin waves each successive newcomer into the wind-chilled hall, then continues droning on in the background as his knights socialize among themselves. It soon dawns on all of you that you've been summoned here for no reason other than to listen to the old man. Well, you're also being fed well - which is the only reason any of you have really aligned yourselves with this king. In this world, there's really nothing more important.

The dinner drags on through the night, with Roland seeing to your food and drink. A minstrel named Jode provides the soundtrack, playing an out of tune, whiny lute. Once in while, his music grabs your attention with some intriguing riff, but when you focus on Jode, it fades back into banality.

And then: The doors bang open once more. Flung in on a swirling wind and stinging hail, a raggedly dressed and blood soaked kobold makes his dramatic entrance, freezing you all in silence. "Baron Thithle" he proclaims in a dragony lisp "ith under thiege!"

Jay Emby
2008-02-01, 05:49 PM
The_JJ makes his Knowledge (religion) check. Priests of Bast throw elven warriors into lion pits as a sacrifice to their god of cats! (That peace and expansion of Darius's did not extend to the desert fey)

Torger, tell us something else interesting about Bast. It's your god. :)

The_JJ
2008-02-01, 05:57 PM
And like the good cleric I am, I rush over to heal the kobold. Cure light wounds.

Jay Emby
2008-02-01, 06:23 PM
(Mostly just a test, I wanna know if I can roll dice here)

1d8+1(apparently not)

Cefos lays his hands upon the little guy. His blood stops pooling at his feet, and the gash in his neck caused by a not-quite-glancing arrow closes up.

Torger
2008-02-01, 07:30 PM
Xerxes

Xerxes snorts a little at the other's suggestion that he might ever consider another divinity. I've no quarrel with your infidel northern gods, but they bear no interest on me. My Mistress has sent me here on my quest for Justice, and thus I came, no matter ho the cold, wind, and rain pains me.

That was probably the most diplomatic thing he's said since his arrival, and he seems to have exhausted his willingness to draw you into his confidence.

Now, tell me... friends... He says the last word as if it leaves a bad taste in his mouth. What has brought the rest of you here.

Know thy enemy...

He seems almost disinterested in the news of the Kobold, though he appears familiar with the species.

The_JJ
2008-02-01, 08:56 PM
Well, my master before me brought me here as a child. Since then I have been studying here with him, under the auspices of the great King Palidin, convert to our great relgion

The emphsise is subtle, meant to be noticed but not offending.
The cleric turns, now to the masked servant.
And you? Do you perhaps need healing for some disfiguration?

Dear god this is boring. I hope the kobold has new of something requiring my clrical serves elsewhere. To bad the Baron has his own preist. I hope that heathen dies in this battle.

PlasticSoldier
2008-02-01, 09:26 PM
Sam [roll0] Rolls don't work if you preview the post.

Sam gives a deep sigh before saying to his kitty
"So want to go break a siege?". Once the kitty gives an affectionate purr, Sam poofs it away and starts walking over to the kobold. While he's doing so he'll reply to Xerxes with "I'm Sam, wizard, & Aasimar. This is just what I do.". When he gets to the kobold he'll ask "So where is this place exactly?"

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-02, 12:56 AM
Aaron

The servant stays absolutely still, not stirring in the slightest when Cefos speaks.

Aaron, meanwhile, twists in his chair, his friendly smile distorted by the scar across his face. "Aahhh... my servant... he isn't very social. He stopped speaking some years ago. Quite loyal, quite loyal, so I keep him around. But not a talker. No, no... not a talker at all."

He peers at the clerics holy symbol... Know : Religion : [roll0]

"well, a devotee of Mjolnir! well, thats interesting! I profess a different faith (he holds up his Wee Jas holy symbol)... perhaps a learned discourse on the tenets of the Stern Lady could sway you, eh? After all... my Godess rules over the two absolutes of our world!"

The_JJ
2008-02-02, 10:35 AM
Another rival beliver! How nice... I would welcome the chance for debate.

(Gods name: Mjolnir I think...)

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-02, 03:47 PM
Artur

Debate? Perhaps later, perhaps later. Seems we have some sort of emergency on our hands or somesuch? Little Kobold, pray, do tell! We love a good story, yes we do....

He smiles widely, an expression more than a little ruined by his horribly scarred face.

Jay Emby
2008-02-02, 11:44 PM
King Paladin's face registers shock "What! My baron under siege! Impossible!"

The kobold stands a straighter now that his blood is flowing through him instead of out. His tail swishes dust from the shattered mosaic floor into the air, then he pushes past the crowd gathering around him until he can see King Paladin. "It'th true, Pal - er, I mean: t'ith true, thire. The roving bandth that plague Baron Thithle have banded together. They theek to depothe you."

At this news, Paladin rises to his feet in indignation, and begins a rant directed squarely at the poor kobold. "Indeed? Surely they do not expect to defeat me! Why look around young squire: gathered all around me are the greatest knights this world seen since the ancients fell. No roaming band of marauders could be a match for them . . . "

He continues on with such words and personality as I could not possibly convey with my meager DMing skills. At the height of his rant, you wonder why his stories couldn't be filled with such passion and vigor. You would listen to him. You listen raptly now, gaining confidence in yourselves with each word. He is indeed your king and you remember clearly just why you originally swore that oath of allegiance to him.

The kobold messenger is cowering in fright as Paladin wraps up his rant, exhorting you, his knights, to "Slay those demon marauders and show the world that my empire will not fall back even one step. Baron Thithle must survive!"

Jay Emby
2008-02-02, 11:55 PM
You all know that the Baron is the only Lord in Paladin's would-be empire. His "castle" is a cave in a short gorge just an hour's hard ride along the river that runs beside the Giant's Temple. The cave is accessible by narrow but easily-accessible footpaths look over the shallow and calm river.

It's an excellent point for a settlement. Although shallow, the river is home to plenty of fish. The land above the gorge is fertile and the Baron's slaves have established a couple successful farms that have proven capable of producing for more than one year - a grand achievement in this stricken where agriculture is nearly unknown.

The barony's survival is crucial.

Voth
2008-02-03, 02:39 AM
Val

"Yes of course. At once my lord." Val says as you bows and, after nodding towards his fellow knights, Val heads off to gather his equipment for the upcoming battle.

I'm ready to leave when everyone else is.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-03, 02:41 AM
Aaron

Smiling widely, Artur bobs his head. "Bandits too big for their britches! Well, that is certainly a job for we stalwart few! Yes, doubtless they will flee in terror at the mere whisper of our approach!" He pauses. "Buut... just in case, perhaps some more detailed tactical information might be forthcoming? Such interesting details as how many, what methods they use, where they are from, all the little things...."

While waiting for a response from the kobold, and without turning to look at his servant, he speaks softly. "Bassanius, go to the room, pack everything we own, and equip yourself completely. Then return here." Silently, the servant turns and walks away.

Meloku
2008-02-03, 07:57 AM
Renar

"How exciting! And I can't just let everyone else leave, now can I?"

Since I stated he was armed, he's ready

Jay Emby
2008-02-03, 10:57 AM
"Methodth?" the kobold asks incredulous. "There ith no method to them. They hunt and kill ath they pleathe. They thtep from the thadowth of the foretht to thtrike, then fade away ath though they were never there! Thethe wandering monthterth are a menathe to the peathe!"

"Before tonight, they attacked only in groupth of three or four. There are many more of them in this attack, though. It ith like every band of thethe evil elveth within a hundred mileth came together. There mutht be at leatht two dozen!"

(Okay, the lithp thing has already gotten old for me, but I'm still gonna keep it up)

Torger
2008-02-03, 11:03 AM
Xerxes

Ugh... once more into the damnable cold of this heathen land of hellrime and damp. Sir King, I wall require transportation, if you would have me bring the might of Bast the Avenger upon these... men. His haughty sense of self projects even through his servile statements, and he stands, drawing his cloak about him, the cat seeming to disappear.

Jay Emby
2008-02-03, 11:26 AM
Your statements are nowhere near servile enough to hide your disdain for your liege.

"You require something from me if I would have you!" replies King Paladin in anger. "I do have you. I have your oath - break it, and you are doomed to be forever exiled from every land you have ever touched."

"You have your feet, Sir Xerxes. That is your transportation!"

Torger
2008-02-03, 11:52 AM
Then, sir, I fear that your holdings will fall. Expediency is, I had thought, key. No matter. I will be guided by you in this matter. Offering a half bow to the incompetent twillick on the the throne, Xerxes turns on his heel and begins his departure from the hall.

Meloku
2008-02-03, 12:20 PM
Renar

"Oh, it's only an hours ride away. Admittedly, a lot can happen in an hour, but if we work we should get there before morning!"

Voth
2008-02-03, 02:50 PM
Val

Returning from his room, Val approaches King Paladin.

"My lord, might I suggest that it would be most beneficial to you if you provide us with some form of transportation. If we retaliate with speed, it will quell other upstarts from trying to usurp your empire."

I'm changing my color to red to keep from confusion with Xerxes and Val. Also Diplomacy check! [roll0]

Jay Emby
2008-02-03, 03:06 PM
"Indeed, Sir Val. And see, Sir Xerxes, how one should treat their king. Yet, I think the Baron is safe for now. He and his kobolds can see far better than the elves with the moon's light hidden by the storm. Our enemy will not attempt to enter the caves until dawn.

"Still, take the horses. Oh, you have not yet visited the barony, have you? This kobold squire will show you the way"

Voth
2008-02-03, 03:08 PM
Val

"My thanks my lord. I shall see to it that these upstarts are put down like the dogs they are." Bowing once more to King Paladin, turns to leave for the stables.

Jay Emby
2008-02-03, 03:21 PM
The stables are at the back of the temple's great hall - off in the distance beyond the light of the bonfire, but still in the same room as you. You take a torch from one of the pillars, and head off into the darkness treading your way carefully among the debris of a thousand years.

You pass by the slave quarters. Most of the berry-gatherers and fisher-slaves are passed out exhausted on their beds of rotting grass, although one disobedient wretch is chained to the wall, passing in and out of a torturous sleep.

You also pass the mysterious sealed door before reaching the stables.

Voth
2008-02-03, 03:27 PM
Val

Poor souls, they don't deserve this. Thinks Val as he passes by the slave quarters.

Upon reaching the stables, Val picks out a steed and begins to speak with it while waiting for the others.

Out of sheer boredom, but it may do something, Handle Animal Check! [roll0]

PlasticSoldier
2008-02-03, 03:40 PM
Sam

" Excuse me King, may I be informed of our strategy so that I know how best to use my spells?"

Meloku
2008-02-03, 03:47 PM
Renar

Attempting to block out the cries of the lone disobedient slave as he walks behind the squire, Renar furrows his brow and appears lost in concentration.

As soon as he reaches the stables, he searches out one of the more nimble horses (less powerful as they may be)

Searching for a Light Warhorse (or horse, I guess)

Jay Emby
2008-02-03, 03:51 PM
"That is for you to decide. As long as you save the baron, how you do it is of no interest to me - until tomorrow night, that is. I expect you'll have a grand tale to tell around my Round Table."

(That's essentially my view as DM, too: The task has been set, have at it. For entertainment purposes, the goofier or more outrageous or more heroicly or creatively or whateverly you go about it the better.)

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-03, 03:58 PM
Aaron

Bassanias clanks back into the room holding an impressive Halberd. "Well, I guess its off to the royal stables to get ourselves some horses!" He painfully rises from his chair, then slowly walks off in the direction of wherever the horses are stabled.

I'm ready to go, just flavorposting along until we get there :)

Voth
2008-02-03, 04:01 PM
Just flavor posting till everyone gets here
Gilgimesh

Looking up Gilgimesh spies the approaching Aaron, looking away from his horse for a moment, Gilgimesh gives a repectful nod towards Aaron. "Greetings, I do not believe I have had the pleasure to be introduced to one such as yourself. My name is Val. Might I inquire your name?"

Jay Emby
2008-02-03, 04:15 PM
(I'm just a gonna wait to give the rest of the players a chance to get involved. There's a decent chance at least one of them will want to do something more here. This game is already moving far faster than I expected!)

(Also, Superbowl . . . be glad I didn't name your giant-killing liege King Patriot :smallwink: )

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-03, 04:31 PM
Aaron

"Ah, hello there Val, hello. My name is Aaron, and I hail from far, far south." He grins gruesomely. "Have your already inspected the horses? I'm afraid I'm not much of a rider... I'll just select something that looks safe." Without turning his head or otherwise acknowledging the figure behind him, he speaks... "Bassanius! That horse on the end. And that sable one two from the end. Put saddles on them. Then lead them outside."

warlock2000
2008-02-03, 05:08 PM
Dart

During the whole situation, Dart continued to eat quietly, his hands appear to have writing on them in Draconic. The mentioning of religions seemed to get a look of interest but still no words. At the liege speech he stood quietly waiting for the others, after a polite bow to the king. The mention of horse lead him onward, but the site of the chained slave stopped him. His face gave away his feeling of pain, he leans to the slave,

"Why do you hang here?", if the slave doesn't answer he continues on to get a horse.

Sorry for my lack of posting its been a busy weekend.

Torger
2008-02-03, 05:25 PM
Xerxes

Xerxes walks through the squalor of the slave community, commenting to himself. These b'k are terribly underfed and malnourished. Even the meanest of prisons should not hold squalor of this nature. Death would be preferable... He pauses by a man on the wall, and then makes a decision.

This man does not deserve that which he posesses. Perhaps one here would take his vengance... H'dj! Waiting for the next crack of lightning, Xerxzes speaks a single word in a fel tongue, and the lock holding the man to the wall crumples into nothingness. Moving on, Xerxes picks a horse that does not appear too mangy and prepares to depart.

One Baleful Utterance later, and I'm on my way.

warlock2000
2008-02-03, 06:26 PM
Dart

Thrown back by the unexpected act of Xerxes, dart palms the slave a gold piece before moving on and grabbing a horse hoping that his feelings that the man didn't belong there are right. Think deeply,
Maybe I misguided this one. I wonder what this deity Bast codes are. Something tells me this Xerxes will survive long enough for me to learn this.

Jay Emby
2008-02-03, 07:01 PM
The slave is too disoriented to do more than grunt, perhaps in gratitude or perhaps in shock, before passing back into unconsciousness.

PlasticSoldier
2008-02-03, 07:49 PM
Sam

"Then, if I have any say in it your prison will soon be filled.". After saying this Sam walks to his room and gets his crossbow & a good dozen bolts. He'll then head over to the stables.

If he sees the slave & the 2 standing by it he'll ask "Who's that?"

If he doesn't see them he'll just try to find a docile horse.

Spoilers are made by putting [ ]'s around the word spoiler at the end you write [/spoiler]

Zasabi
2008-02-03, 08:35 PM
A man dressed in a fairly drab blue tunic followed the adventurers, having been present at the Round Table when the injured Kobold had burst in. In fact, he had been there beforehand, arriving neither too late, nor too early. He had said little to the others seated around the king, the shortbow laying on the ground next to him indicative enough of his profession of choice to most individuals. He had simply sat and watched, observing the others and their reactions. When the general call for revenge had gone up, he had adopted a look of grim satisfaction, simply rising from his seat and gathering the bow and his arrows. All in all, it was as close as one could get to being a typical archer- cool, detached, and calm.

All of it, however, was a lie.

Zasabi, or as the King and his men knew him as, Samuel, quietly entered the stable after pointedly ignoring the slaves' plight. As far as he was concerned, the King's stupidity and lack of forethought was legendary as it was; This was merely another show of it. Slaves, like any other resource, should be kept in optimal conditions. Otherwise it was a waste. Perhaps it was callous of him to think such a thing of fellow sapient beings, but he himself had risen from a similar state. If these slaves wanted their freedom, they would have to grasp it for themselves.

He began searching for an easily tamed and docile horse. A skilled liar and trained archer he may be, he was most definitely not a member of the cavalry. Mounted traveling was something he definitely did not do phenomenally. It would have to do, however.

Ah, thanks! So then to test out the rolling of dice...
Edit- I guess it doesn't work if you're editing it in the post. Oh well. +3 to search then..

The_JJ
2008-02-04, 07:52 PM
This sounds exciting.
Sir, I fear that they may require my healing and services. I will also go, to help protect these lands.

I rush to the stables and take my master's old horse, now once again the king's, but atleast I know it and it knows me.

Voth
2008-02-04, 07:54 PM
Gilgimesh

Upon seeing Xerxes coming closer, Val bids Aaron's leave and jogs over to talk to
Xerxes.

"Xerxes is it? I beg your forgiveness if you took offense to my earlier deeds. I hold the king in no high regards, and I agreed with your idea that we should take horses to the Baron's aid. I did not mean to upstage one such as yourself. I hope you did not take offense in anyway." Bowing his head in a respectful nod, Val continues, "If I may ask however, would you be willing to tell me more of your god? Bast was it? I am unfamiliar with her teaching and as an avatar of her power, I feel that I may gain further understanding from one such as yourself."

I believe everyone is here but just in case they are not, More Flavor Posting! I'm curious to find out more of one such as Xerxes. We can do it in PM's if you would rather do it like that Torger, its your call. Also note that my part of the conversation is easily to hear, so if you feel like your character should be able to hear what I said, go for it.

Torger
2008-02-05, 09:18 AM
Xerxes

Xerxes spares the approaching inquisitor a single glance before mounting his horse and moving toward the exit. He began speaking as if the man was following and listening, making no effort to hide his words. I take no offense. I've no room in my soul for petty grievance in the face of my task. The actions of yourself, our incompetent patron, or any of these others have little meaning to me. Bast is the goddess of cats, vengeance, and retribution. My Mistress has sent me Isis as a guide, and thus have I come to this Northrealm. It is she who rights the wrongs, and who exacts harsh and lasting vengeance from the undeserving, the usurpers, and the false.

Jay Emby
2008-02-05, 06:28 PM
(Voth, who or what is Gilgimesh?)

After outfitting the horses in their head to tail leather rain-cloaks, Paladin's knights head out into the raging storm. The arrogant Xerxes, outsider to this strange land, dares to take the lead, as Val and the rest follow.

You pass through the stable entrance and immediately the driving rain stings. The darkness of night is all-consuming. Your meagre magical light cannot penetrate far into this bleak storm. It's only during the brief flashes of lightning that you see beyond the nose of your horse. A fireball explodes in the air not far above your head, wisps of burning plasma whirl and streak across the sky. You feel the heat upon your scalp.

You pass the giant's skeleton - and though its ribcage is wide and tall enough to ride through - you ride beside it before turning past its skull to follow the swelling river. Onward the horse trudges. It'd be folly to press them, even with the great danger that Baron Thistle faces, so you go carefully. Cursing the storm, yet knowing that as long as it persists the elves cannot press their attack.

Lightning flashes. Fireballs explode. Halfway to your destination, acid begins to fall with the rain. You can hear it sizzle upon your rain cloaks, you can see your horse's rain gear melting. It crosses your mind more than once that you should just screw the baron and find some shelter. This weather is not fit for anyone. You realize, perhaps not for the first time, that this is among the cruelest punishment a slave has endured. Yet you continue on, hoping your leather cloaks survive.

The storm still has not relented in the least when the kobold squire - Qyiop - suggests that you should stop. Through the white flashes of lightning and dull red glow of the fireballs, you see that you have reached the point where the surging river enters the baron's gorge.

The barest hint of dawn fingers through the sky downriver.

Voth
2008-02-05, 06:52 PM
Val

"I believe we should split up here and attack the sieging army from both sides." If anyone else has a plan please speak up. We are pressed for time.

((So Sorry! I need to get more sleep. Wrong character name.))

Meloku
2008-02-05, 07:54 PM
Renar

"We don't have the men to split up! A tactical strike with a band this size is far more likely to come off successfully."

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-05, 08:09 PM
Aaron

"Let's see if we can split a few off the herd and interrogate them... We'll do much better if we have information." He smiles. Again, as if you didn't know already... its not a nice looking smile. You are beginning to think he does it on purpose.

warlock2000
2008-02-05, 08:55 PM
Dart

(Knowledge Arcana on the storm [roll0] )

After gazing around Dart turns to everyone eyes still covered by his own cloak under the rain cape.

"I feel this storm is unnatural, if I am right then either the Baron controls it or is having it used against him. Regardless we need to find the source and stop it. If the crops are destroyed by this storm then our coming is for not. If it is a large siege we have a better chance passing through together as a unified force. However with this storm it will be hard to see where the siege is and I don't know how much more this extra rain cloak will take before falling apart. Getting to the Baron's cave seems like our best plan for now."

Torger
2008-02-05, 09:19 PM
Xerxes

Xerxes has become increasingly taciturn, withdrawn, and surly as the rain worsened. Finally, he moves his horse to block the hapless Kobold. This is intolerable! You! Find us shelter, or your days will be short!

Zasabi
2008-02-05, 09:22 PM
Zasabi silently curses the rain as he feels the acid burning it's way through his cloak. Thankfully, he had pulled the cloak over his shortbow and backpack, otherwise he would be both weaponless and defenseless. He looks to the others and then looks to the Kobold.

"Squire," he asks, his voice low but still loud enough to be heard over the torrent. "Just how far is the Barony?"

Zasabi knew the importance of good information. If he could sneak up to the bandits, he could get a grasp of their numbers and allow the others to develop some good intel. Not to mention that if were to scout out the Barony from the safety of the trees, he could possibly avoid this acid rain. He hoped.

Fireballs explode? Huh? I'm confused here. Is it literally raining fire, or is it just creating ambiance?

Voth
2008-02-05, 09:27 PM
Val

"Whether or not it would be more beneficial for us to strike as a group or spread apart is not an option at this point. If what Sir Dart says is true, we must end this storm with all due haste."

Wheeling his steed around to face the kolbold Val continues, "Your baron's land is in great danger, however we must find a way to break this hellish storm that ravages the surrounding area. Do you know anything of this storm?"

Turning to the group once more Val speaks again, "I suggest that one of us makes for the Baron's cave. He must be informed of our arrival and I am sure he could use the help. If this is acceptable to you all, then I must ask who among you is willing to undertake this task?"

Jay Emby
2008-02-06, 02:25 AM
The fireballs are flashing in the sky much like the lightning does :)

It is a rare natural occurrence, but it is happening with great frequency tonight. The acid is also a natural occurrence but it too is far stronger than normal.

Jay Emby
2008-02-06, 03:33 PM
Xerxes' blunt attempt to intimidate* Squire would be laughed off by any brave warrior, but this kobold is a coward. He shivers in fright under the warlock's stare. He points straight ahead to where the gorge begins and quietly whimpers "there are alcoves in the cliff, ledges you can hide under." Still whimpering, he answers Zasabi "Only 15 minutes on foot - the horses should be walked the rest of the way, especially in this weather."

Without further questioning, Squire also offers up this helpful tactical information: The last he saw of the siege, a half dozen elves were in the gorge between your position and the baron's cave. Another half dozen elves were in the gorge past the cave. And the rest of the elves stood at the top of the gorge, a dozen on each side of the river.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg155/jayemby/e.gif

The map is not to scale - the gorge is nowhere near as wide as it suggests. Between the river and the cliff wall is about 10 feet of fairly steep rising ground.

(*Rolled a 10 total on the check, opposed to Squire's result of 6)

The_JJ
2008-02-06, 05:27 PM
As Xerxe's lashes out against the kobold he gets a dirty look from Cefos.
The cleric pulls up his hood.
Sieges take longer then a day to settle. If the baron has yet to fall he will not do so soon. I say we rest.

Carrion_Humanoid
2008-02-06, 05:54 PM
From a small scrub on the side of the gorge, a Human comes from the brush, a dog by his side "Sorry, I got lost at the tavern. I wish to serve my king," The human says, walking towards the group, his dog chasing his linen cloak and biting at it.

((Sorry I'm late, I didn't know it started. What'd I miss? What exactly are we killing? Elves I assume.))

Zasabi
2008-02-06, 06:30 PM
Zasabi grimly turns to the others, his plain features barely visible beneath the hood of his leather cloak. "I'll scout on ahead. I'm rather skilled at staying unseen. I'll return before nightfall."

Dismounting from his horse, he grabs his gear and proceeds to make his way toward the top of the gorge opposite from where the elves were reported, keeping alert of any unwanted attention.(I'm assuming, due to the picture, that the gorge cliff actually starts near us and doesn't require a climb check. If it does, I'll do it very carefully and slowly, while still taking advantage of jutting rocks to keep from being seen easily.)

Upon making his way to the top of the gorge(assuming he does so), he would proceed to stealthily scout out the area, first making sure that the elves were not on this side of the gorge, and then scouting out their numbers from above. This sort of job was the one that Zasabi was most skilled at.

Spot checks are +4, Hide checks are +6, and climb(if needed) is +2
OOC: By the way, I hope that your dog is wearing some sort of cloak, or else it might not have much fur at the end of this.

Torger
2008-02-06, 06:49 PM
Xerxes

Dropping from his horse, Xerxes takes his horse by the reins and strts movign into the gorge. Come, find shelter for your betters, that e might save your people. Xerxes pulls the Kobold to his feet and pushes him ahead into the gorge. he calls back over his shoulderArguing when the very earth itself turns against us is both futile and stupid. We must seek shelter.

Voth
2008-02-06, 07:11 PM
Val

Looking at the newly appeared human, Val walks his horse forward.

"Well met! I am Val. We shall be able to talk more for now, we must seek shelter." Turning towards the direction Samuel took off in, Val softly says a prayer of hope for the archer before turning back to the others. "Come! We must be off! We shall need a place to plan our attack upon these foolish elves."

Carrion_Humanoid
2008-02-06, 07:27 PM
"So we shall! Wheres this shelter? The Cave down the gorge?" He says, following the man.

Voth
2008-02-06, 07:31 PM
Val

"No my good sir. Alcoves in the cliff, over there." Val replies pointing in the same direction as the Squire. "Now come it is 15 minutes on foot and we must make haste if we are to prepare to break this siege."

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-06, 08:06 PM
Aaron

Cocking his crossbow, he nods. "Bassanius. Attack and kill anyone who tries to suprise us." He smiles. "Use your Halberd once they get in range, otherwise use your sling."

warlock2000
2008-02-07, 05:36 PM
Dart

Dart listens intently to the discussion, shaking his head when Xerxes threatens the Kobold. After Zasabi heads off and the others begin to head to shelter, he begins to draw his blanket out of the satchel and throw it over himself. This could be my only chance to see if this Baron is the one I seek, Dart thinks to himself. "Good luck everyone I suppose I will meet you there, I doubt the elves will wait till nightfall again with the sun rising soon.", and with that he heads to the north part of the map attempting to cross without the horse and hoping that the elves don't attack him on sight. If they do I will cast mage armour.

The_JJ
2008-02-07, 05:50 PM
The cleric heads to cover. Once he is there he pinds whatever equipment has been most damaged by the rain and casts mend on it. He then turns to the wall and begins to pray/preach, offering the others a chance to join. It is a short sermon, made up on the spot, detailing the need to balence strength and rightiousness on one hand, and compation and the reason that strength is needed; to protect good against foes.

He then draws aside anyone, including the kobold who wish to take a blessing.

Jay Emby
2008-02-07, 06:01 PM
The bulk of the party seeks the immediate shelter of ledges, while Aaron's "man-servant" braves the weather to stand watch.

The stealthy guy who is definitely not a ninja thank you very much (:smalltongue:) vanishes into the forbidding storm, followed not nearly as stealthily by what must be the bravest wizard in the world (level 1 and already venturing solo!).

Stealthy or not, they are lost to sight immediately in the storm.

Zasabi's scouting proves most fruitful. As he approaches closer to the baron's cave he comes across an horrific scene on the cliffs overlooking the gorge. On the river's shore he spies a druid's circle built from wooden posts and beams. In the center is an alter upon which lies a kobold tied up, exposed to the storm's demonic elements, a sacrifice to Mother Nature. Two humanoid figures crouch under the beams, cloaked in heavy leather to protect themselves from the acid rain that falls harshly on the writhing kobold.

(Picture a wooden stonehenge, a kobold in the center melting in acid rain while two figures stand under an arch watching and keeping guard)

As he looks down up the scene from above, Zasabi notices some movement - Dart approaching the circle, unaware.

Jay Emby
2008-02-07, 06:08 PM
Squire takes immediately to the idea of a blessing from Cefos. "Pleathe, thir. Bleth me. he pleads. Remembering where his loyalty is supposed to lay, he hastily adds "and Baron Thithle."

The_JJ
2008-02-07, 08:12 PM
I bless him, give him a small explenation of my religion, and perform a baptismal like service on him.
Now you are my brother in religion. Maybe when we save the baron, I can bless him to,if he is deserving

Voth
2008-02-08, 12:48 AM
Val

"Now, let us get down to business. We shall need a plan if we are to end this siege. I doubt brute force is the answer, for we maybe out numbered. When Samuel returns from scouting we shall know more. If he has not returned by dawn, we must act. Any ideas about strategy?"

Val, turning and looking at each member individually waits and listens.

Zasabi
2008-02-08, 01:17 AM
Fantastic job so far, everyone. Looking good!

Zasabi shook his head, cursing the fates that he should be tailed by such an idiot. If he had known that the wizard would come after him, he would've somehow redirected him. Now the wizard would stumble onto the sacrifice, run in spells blazing, and proceed to die while alerting the rest of the elves to their presence. No, he couldn't afford that. He would need to somehow let the wizard know that there were enemies ahead of him, and simultaneously draw the elves from their captive. Once they were drawn toward the wizard, he could attack them from behind, allowing the wizard to hopefully do something useful, all while keeping the elves far enough away from the gorge that their muffled cries of pain wouldn't draw any attention.

Spying a small rock, he picked it up and, after aiming for a moment, threw it near a small pile of rocks a slight distance in front of Dart. With hope, Dart would notice it and assume there was an enemy approaching and dive behind cover, and the Elves would notice it and assume the same, at least sending out one of their number to investigate.

If his plan succeeded, Zasabi would steathily inch closer to Dart's location, staying out of site of the elves but getting within range for a precise shot. If only one of the Elves headed toward Dart, he would try to get a shot on the one that was remaining closest to the sacrifice, as to prevent him from calling for reinforcements, and then assist the wizard in taking out the remaining one. If Dart missed the signal completely, then Zai would simply get into a position where he could take a pot-shot as the elves ran wildly at the soon-to-be-a-steaming-corpse-on-the-ground Wizard.

So that's a +6 for bluff, a +6 for hiding, and a +3 to shoot things with my shortbow with an added +1 if they're within 30 feet. And a sneak attack if they're denied their Dex bonus to their AC(sudden strike)

PlasticSoldier
2008-02-08, 03:34 PM
Sam (Sorry for not posting, just assume I went to the shelter)

"Well my plan is that we sneak up on one of the groups on top of the cliffs & ambush them with illusions and areas of effect. Then we can take cover and start attacking the people on the other cliff, once were done with them we'll pretty much have the rest cornered."

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-08, 04:14 PM
Aaron

"Bassanius is a puissant fighter, as long as we keep things simple for him. I'll provide a little support fire." He pats his crossbow. "I suggest we start killing while this rain is muffling the noise and keeping visibility low...."

Jay Emby
2008-02-08, 04:18 PM
(no problem, Plastic)

By now, the sun is starting to peek ever so slightly through the black clouds and walls of rain. In this bare light, Zasabi notices the green and yellow tinges in the storm where the acid rain is heaviest - concentrated inside the druidic circle, spreading outward in waves.

Even against the swirling winds and driving rain, Zasabi lands the stone where he needed for his plan to work. He watches as Dart jumps at the noise. When he turns to look at the elves, he sees that one has left the cover of the arch, quarterstaff in hand. The other draws out his sling and stands ready, his eyes scanning the landscape, both along the river and up upon the cliffs.

Zasabi begins climbing halfway down the cliff in order to line up his first shot . . .

(you'll get to make the attack after I know how Dart reacts)

Torger
2008-02-08, 08:35 PM
Xerxes

Xerxes listens to the religious blowhard yammering about his infidel northrealm god, respecting his zeal, but scoffing at his false baptism. Instead, he stands as fat from the damnable rain as he can, cloak drawn tight around him and listens to the ill-conceived mouthings of the others.

Finally, growing irritated, he speaks. I find that, in the face of natural forces that would melt flesh from bone, I am less inclined to rush off into the night. Perhaps if one of my learned colleagues possessed some means of countering this, we might move on, slay the elves, consume their souls for our preferred Divinities, and move on with this ill-conceived and thus far futile proceedings. Otherwise, we may not form strategy until the bowman returns with information.

warlock2000
2008-02-08, 09:00 PM
Dart

Startled by the sound Dart jumps back being quiet as possible. I must be close, he thinks. Stepping next to a tree he summons up a spell of mage armour just in case he is close. Then cast detect magic to see if he can sense anything out there.

Jay Emby
2008-02-09, 12:22 PM
Dart ducks behind the tree. After he finishes his protective incantation, he leans out to look down along the path ahead of him. He detects nothing magical, but with his normal senses he sees a cloaked figure pushing through the rain, carefully treading the muddy slope between the cliff and the river. The quarterstaff in his hand seems to be as much for balance as it is for battle. Intent on watching his footing, he does not appear to notice Dart behind the tree, even though he is only a stone's throw away (around 30 feet).

(Man, I rolled a horrible Hide check for Dart, then a ridiculously low Spot check for the elf - so half the wizard's body is exposed to sight, but the guard is looking at his feet!)

Zasabi makes his way down the cliff like a shadow stalking at midnight. His long practice is not hindered by this weather. Indeed, it is his ever-trusty accomplice. The thrill of this hunt sends a shiver down his spine. The elf's fate is in the ninja's hands, but the victim will never know it. Zasabi's arrow pierces cleanly through his victim's heart, dropping him silently.

(Okay, these elf guards are blind, apparently. This one's spot check was miserable, which really didn't matter since Zasabi's Hide check was enormous. Plus, a critical with the arrow combined with Sudden Strike. The ninja has moves)

Dart, you've got a surprise round yourself (one standard action). You can thank Zasabi for that.

Voth
2008-02-09, 12:53 PM
Val

"So then my noble allies, after listening to your input I propose another plan. In one group, we approach the group of those devilish elves up on the cliff and take them out with all do haste and subtlety. This shall prohibit them from notifying their kinsmen should we be spotted when trying to cross the gorge. Afterwards, I propose we assault each of the small groups of elves, once again as stealthily as possible to avoid alerting the others. Afterwards, we can rescue the baron from his fate. However I purpose that we wait until our other two allies return from their scouting attempt and see what they learn. With any luck we may be able to find the source of this storms unusual power. In the mean time, if all of you would be so kind, might I inquire your skills?"

((Its magical flavor convo time! YAY! I guess we will just perfect strategy until Zasabi and warlock return from their shenanigans. Its also a good time to learn more about each others characters. Also by skills, Val is referring to classes, but try and think of a cool RP way to explain them.))

Torger
2008-02-09, 12:58 PM
Xerxes

Xerxes snorts at this declaration. The "cunning plan" you claim is an amalgam of statements made by everyone assembled here. We know naught of the disposition of these disgusting demihumans, nor of their power or numbers. I, for one, will not place myself against 10000 disgusting elves for Paladine and his lackey. I will wait for information become I commit the currency of my soul. Spend yours how you'd like.

Zasabi
2008-02-09, 01:11 PM
Zasabi smiles grimly as he shifts his attention to the other hapless elf, pulling another arrow out of his quiver and carefully positioning himself as to give him a clear shot of the cloaked hoodlum. With hope, the wizard wouldn't decide to interpose himself between him and his target. Pulling back the string of the bow, he prepared to finish the job...

Awesome. There's nothing like a series of good rolls. Let's hope I don't roll a one for climbing down or something and end up falling off the cliff. That would just top everything off :D Oh, and +4 to hit, if I'm not mistaken.

The_JJ
2008-02-09, 01:20 PM
Hales
I can heal anyone injured with the might of m god behind me. I've also had a fair bit of training in war
He hefts his flail meaningfully.

Jay Emby
2008-02-09, 01:24 PM
After his baptism to Mojilnor, somewhere around the fifth god the sad kobold has committed his soul to, Squire gains a bit of confidence. It'll fade soon enough, but his soul is complete right now and he is at one with the world.

His newly recovered confidence moves him to challenge, slightly, his new tormenter. He whispers to Cefos, loud enough to be overheard, and nods in Torger's direction "What an arrogant, angry buggerbear he ith."

Jay Emby
2008-02-09, 01:32 PM
Zasabi, It'll take a couple rounds before you are in a position to attack. The surviving elf is out of sight in the trees and shrubbery, and you see no opening between Dart's position and where you guess the elf is. You need to get down the cliff before you can strike. Despite your fear for Dart's safety, you calm your mind and spend the time inching down as safely as you can without breaking your neck.

(Middling Climb check, enough to keep you on your feet, but not high enough to get you down in heroic style)

The_JJ
2008-02-09, 01:51 PM
I nod Yes, he can be can't he? Don't worry, I think he's just upset about the weather, for from home, and has some unresolved issues of vengence. He'll be alright, just you see.

Diplo check for the kobold (to not provoke further):d20+8
Diplo on Xerxes for ditto (opposed will save?):d20+8
Course, if you don't want to you don't have to, but I'm roleplaying the peacemaker right now.

The_JJ
2008-02-09, 01:53 PM
whoops.
Diplo check for the kobold (to not provoke further):[roll0]
Diplo on Xerxes for ditto (opposed will save?):[roll1]

Voth
2008-02-09, 01:54 PM
Val

"Yes I agree, better to not pay him any heed my friend." Val says as he turns to the rest of the group.

I'll aid JJ in his diplomacy rolls.

Jay Emby
2008-02-09, 02:01 PM
(d'oh! I've been mixing up the player/PC relationship between Torger/Xerxes. Sorry, Torger.

Anyway, It's up to Torger how he has Xerxes handle this. Diplomacy can't be used against other PCs)

Torger
2008-02-09, 02:17 PM
Xerxes

He grunts noncommittally at the priest's comments. Your words mean little to me, Priest, for good or ill. Bast knows my heart, and I am the instrument of her will. He rounds on the kobold. And you, little wretch, would you avenge yourself upon your invaders? Would you exact cruel and lasting punishment on those who would destroy you? Would you, at the expense of all you are, all you have, all you could be, commit yourself to a course to exact true vengeance on those who would oppress you, would destroy you, who would usurp your place in the world?

As he speaks in a low, intense voice, he slowly advances on the Kobold, finally towering above the creature.

Without true commitment, you can never become an instrument of revenge, and never wield the power of the Avenger. He threw back his hood, and his eyes burned with unholy fire. Look upon me. Look upon me and see the face of true vengeance. I wield my mistress's power, and will follow her guide until I become her true instrument.

1d20+7

The_JJ
2008-02-09, 02:25 PM
Well that didn't go well. :smallwink: I think I'll wait an see how the kobold reacts.

Jay Emby
2008-02-09, 02:26 PM
Squire sinks to his knees under Xerxes' glare. he faintly mouths the word "Yeth"

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-09, 03:30 PM
Aaron

Grumpily : "Well, I've waited around here long enough. Those scum aren't going to kill themselves." He pulls up the hood of his oilcloth cloak and walks off in the direction Dart took. "Come, Bassanius."

Torger
2008-02-09, 03:50 PM
Xerxes

Xerxes nods once, then turns from the Kobold. Good. Then arise and take your place amongst us. If the Avenger judges your efforts worthy, she shall allow you to live to see your Vengance come to be.

Xerxes settles back to await the return of the scout, sinking into a meditative pose.

warlock2000
2008-02-09, 04:12 PM
Dart

Dart sees the staff and curses, What kind of elf uses a staff? I will have to do this quick. Knife in hand, he charges quietly to try to take the elf out in one shot.

[spoiler] Dart uses Enhance Attribute as a swift action to increase strength by 2. attack roll [roll0] damage if hits [roll1]

Jay Emby
2008-02-09, 04:30 PM
Surprise Round:

Dart lunges over the mud and plunges his knife deep into the elf's side before his target can raise his staff in defense. The elf survives the blow, however.

Round One: Elf wins initiative. Zasabi's still not in place to do anything.

The elf brings his staff up between Dart legs, smacking him hard against the upper thigh (for 3 damage, but it was an unconfirmed critical threat).

Taking the blow, Dart presses his weight against into the elf, wrapping an arm around him. The knife sinks even deeper into the elf, cutting up into his lungs. Dart intimately hears the elf's last breath, the final beat of his heart.

(Why don't my dice roll this way when I'm playing! That was a critical for Dart)

(Warlock, I took the liberty of assuming that Dart would attack with the dagger as opposed to using up some other spell so soon in the day - and when he's right beside his opponent. Hope you don't mind. :smallwink: )

Voth
2008-02-09, 04:46 PM
Val

"Wait Aaron! Come back, if you venture out alone and happen across one of the larger groups what then?" Val calls out after Aaron and Bassanius trying to convince Aaron that it is better to stick together and wait for Sam and Dart to return. Turning to Hales and... Sam... Val asks the two to keep watch over the Squire and Xerxes as he meditates. "I'm going to go find Sam and Dart. I shall return shortly."

((OOC: Is it just me or do we have 2 Sams?

warlock2000
2008-02-09, 08:14 PM
Dart

Dart slides the dagger out, feeling the last of the elf's strength pass into his own veins. It was a disturbing sensation but one he had gotten used too. Now with that done he continued slowly, taking the Quarterstaff along with him.

Zasabi
2008-02-09, 10:06 PM
As Zasabi made his way down, he sheathed his arrow and bow under his protective leather cloak. He called out to Dart, making his way carefully down and toward the the unlikely warrior.

"Oy! Wizard!" he yelled out as he landed(presumably). "You can thank me for saving your life later," he offered, gesturing toward the sacrifice. "I have a feeling that the Kobold over there is powering this unnatural rain. I'm going to release him, but you need to get in contact with the others. If I'm correct, the elves are going to come over and investigate, making this the perfect place for an ambush."

As he makes his way up to the sacrifice, he'd check the elf for any goods and take his cloak, throwing it atop his own. Then, using the edge of his whip-dagger, he would attempt to cut the bonds of this small creature.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-10, 01:35 AM
Aaron

Dropping an f-bomb backwards with one hand as a response, Aaron keeps walking. Obviously tired of waiting, he continues onwards.

warlock2000
2008-02-10, 11:02 AM
Dart stands in front of Zasabi, the veins on Dart's face have turned black. "Yes saving me, I see", says Dart as he wipes his dagger off on the rain cloak. "I am sure the others will want to know about this, however I would like to study the magic used for this storm before you tear it down. At least a few moments."

Jay Emby
2008-02-10, 11:12 AM
(I'd just like to direct everyone to check out page three of our OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71333) for some goodies, and a bit of authoritarian twaddle.)

As Aaron steps out form the shelter, the storm relents significantly. Lightning and fireballs no longer flash continually. The lack of thunder brings on an eerie silence, broken only by the rumbling of the well-fed river. Rain still falls, but more weakly, and your cloaks no longer sizzle. Bassanius slouches in relief.

Zasabi throws the elf's cloak over him and and braves the heart of the storm. He nears the sacrificial altar, Zasabi sees there is no hope for the poor kobold. The scales on his body are deeply pitted and expose his innards. The skin on his face melted away. There is still life in him, but his fate is clear. Zasabi cuts the kobold's bonds, and removes him from the altar. All at once, the clouds are parted. Light streams down. The elf's cloak crumbles to the ground, destroyed by it's brief exposure to the heart of the storm.

Then the clouds close up and the rain continues, but the storm has relented.

PlasticSoldier
2008-02-10, 03:23 PM
Aasimar Sam (Yes they're are 2 Sams)

"Well since everyone else has already left I don't think we'll have time to finish a plan. As for skills I know a few spells as well as being an Aasimar, which gives me incredible awesomeness & an additional spell that makes things glow."

Voth
2008-02-10, 03:32 PM
Val

"Unfortunately I have to agree with you. We should make haste to find the others. Grab your things while I wake Xerxes and we shall head off to find the others." Turning around, Val walks over to Xerxes and attempts to wake him up.

Jay Emby
2008-02-10, 05:59 PM
Walking up to Xerxes, Val does not see Squire getting ready to knife Xerxes in the back. No, Squire was not about to knife Xerxes in the back. Definitely not. Squire would never do that.

The kobold backs away, looking all innocent.

Voth
2008-02-10, 08:54 PM
Val

"Come!" Val says to the group. "Let us make haste! We should join up with the others and free the baron from this siege."

Torgar, Does Xerxes have any witty comments to make towards Val? =p

Torger
2008-02-10, 09:25 PM
Xerxes

Opening his eyes, Xerxes stands and stretches. Yes, let us go and restore this ineffectual lackey to his undeserving throne so that our erstwhile "King" can resume his delusions of grandeur. Leaning on his spear as a walking staff, Xerxes follows the other from the building. So... This "God" of yours... professes what, exactly? The term, "heathen northern,"
while not spoken, is implied in the way he said "God," and he seems more interested in making conversation than in comparative theology.

Zasabi
2008-02-11, 01:01 AM
Zasabi turned to the wizard, lacking any idea of how to interpret the black veins in his face, but not particularly interested in the wizard's opinion at the moment either.

"I'm sorry, did you want to study that?" he asked, sarcasm thick in his voice. "Perhaps you should've brought an acid-proof umbrella. It was about the only way you could tolerate that unnatural elvish blasphemy for more than a moment."

That having been said, he lifts up the kobold's slowly-dying carcass and tosses it to the seemingly annoyed wizard. "Now, if you could take this unlucky bastard back to camp and tell the others of what happened, I can get into a good hiding place and wait for them. It won't be long until the elves decide to find out just what happened to their sacrifice."

Assuming the wizard didn't give him too much lip, he would immediately hide the dead bandit bodies(after checking their corpses for anything useful), check out the area for spots of easy access and find a location that would allow him to hide from any intruders while still allowing him some view of their arrival. Hopefully the others would be notified in time for an ambush to still be a viable action. Otherwise, he would have to whip out the old disguise kit and fool the none-too-intelligent elves if they arrived.

essentially, I'm going to take as much time as I can finding a good hiding space. And also, if the bandits seem to have some sort of uniform, I'll grab it from them in case I need to add to my disguise check modifier :D And yes, I just noticed we have two Sam's. Totally picking a different alias next time :D

Meloku
2008-02-11, 10:26 AM
Renar

Speaking up for the first time since he left, Paladin's keep, Renar states the (fairly) obvious.

"Well, that was abrupt"

Peering out at the sightening sky, he continues:

"We should probably get going before the elves can resume their siege"

Sorry for being silent the entire time, but neither I nor my character had anything to contribute

The_JJ
2008-02-11, 05:40 PM
Cefos
As the storm abates Cefos also leaves, glaring at Xerxes.
If/when he sees the kobold sacrifice he rushes forwards and plants a few divine touch heals on him. (basically 2 health per at the moment.)

Voth
2008-02-11, 09:41 PM
Val

"Sam! Dart! What have you to report?" Val cries out upon meeting the two scouts.

warlock2000
2008-02-11, 09:45 PM
Dart

Dart ignores the him almost completely, just baring noticing the last ounce of life drawn out of the Kobold. Dart is quick to look at the ritual set up, "arcane or divine?", he says to himself. Drawn away from his thoughts as the other rummages through the elven corpse. "These aren't just bandits. Something much greater may be at stake, I just don't know what yet." With that Dart turns to meet the others on their way here.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-12, 10:02 AM
Aaron

"Bassanius, bury the dead." Pulling out a map, Aaron efficiently markes their current position with a little skull. Looking at the set-up, he comments, "Looks divine to me... possibly some evil tree huggers or some such..."

knowledge : arcana[roll0]
knowledge : religion[roll1]
spellcraft[roll2]

Zasabi
2008-02-12, 11:56 AM
Zasabi looks up, surprised. What the hell are all of these people doing here? he asked himself, looking to the wizard and then to the others. And how in the blazes did they get here so fast? I didn't even get to tell them where we were, or how to get here...were the wizard's tracks so obvious despite the heavy storm? And even worse...if they could find us so easily, and get here so quickly...what of the elves?

Regaining his cool, he proceeded to rise from looting the corpse of one of the bandits and gestured to the altar. "It would seem that the elves were the ones causing the acid rain with some sort of sacrifice. It would also seem that, considering the speed that you have arrived, we will have some elven company very soon. I would suggest we find decent ambush spots."

Samuel would finish looting if he hadn't already by now and then find, as previously stated, some damn good hiding spots. If anyone else had a similar urge to keep from dying, he would help them out in finding a decent location. He would also fight off the urge to place Dart in an easily seen location, acknowledging that even the most unobservant wizard could be of use in the proper place and time.

Jay Emby
2008-02-12, 06:11 PM
The rest of the party arrives quickly enough, but no so soon that Zasabi hasn't finished up everything he wanted. He has found nothing of consequence in the rags of the two dead elves (nothing beyond their cloaks, that is :smallwink: ), and has found what he considers to be 3 excellent sniping perches to confront any approaching elves.

During this time, Dart has stufied the druid's circle and altar, and concluded that it is divine in nature . . . specifically druidic. It's wooden construction is far more fleeting than the heavy nigh immovable stones that dwarven druids exclusively employ. And though his crafting expertise lies among the stonework of those same dwarves, Dart is able to tell that these wooden posts and beams were erected very recently, as soon as yesterday even.

It is at this point that the others finally arrive. It's not so much that the wizard's tracks were so easioly followed that led them to this same spot: between the river and the cliff, there is no way to miss the druid circle. Zasabi is taken by surprise by their arrival only because he has been carefully watching the "Elven Front" for the enemy.

Cefos, during his godly duty rushes over to the sacrificial victim, but discovers that the kobold is well past the point of help.

In a strange ironic scene, a skeleton buries the dead.

Zasabi points out the other two sniping perches to the party with the obvious suggestion that those place be manned, and turns his attention back to watching for the enemy. What he sees is worse than he expected.

A strong gust of wind surges from downriver, nearly blowing everyone over. Only Zasabi, Renar and Val, the strongest or most prepared of you, manage to keep your feet. The three of them stare into the wind watching as the wind turns a putrid green and washes over all of you in a burning wave of acid. The lightning and fireballs start anew.

The storm returns as strongly as before. Only, as it hits, you can feel your flesh melting even under your cloaks (as you all suffer 5 hit points of acid damage!).

The_JJ
2008-02-12, 06:37 PM
let's see I can heal 2 hp 5 times a day, and cast (spontaniously) cure minor wounds 2 times (1hp) and cure light wounds once.
I spread that out amoung the party. (10+2+[roll0].)

Meloku
2008-02-12, 06:55 PM
Renar

Grunting in pain, Renar braces himself against the direction the gust came from, holding his shield out in front of him and drawing his blade.

Speaking at the softest possible audible voice, "We seem to be discovered! Starting to move now is probably a better idea than trying to weather another unnatural storm! Shall we?"

warlock2000
2008-02-12, 08:56 PM
Dart

Dart is thrown on to his back from the wind. His hood finally lifted for a moment revealing a tattoo on his forehead. Dart is quick to return his hood to it's proper place as he stands.

"Damn forest Druids."

Torger
2008-02-12, 08:59 PM
Xerxes

Blown flat, Xerxes lets loose a stream of curses as Isis yowls and burrows deeper into his pack. Damn the Northmen, damn the elves, Damn king Paladin, and damn the man who forced us to venture out into this storm! Xerxes seeks cover from the weather, looking for a targe on which to unleash his eldrich fury.

Zasabi
2008-02-12, 09:13 PM
Zasabi curses come out almost as yelps as the acid burns through the tattered remains of his cloak and into his flesh. He immediately dives behind cover, scrambling to throw the elven cloaks over his vulnerable flesh. He feels sudden relief as the divine magic of the cleric floods over his body, restoring him to full health. Throwing the cleric a grateful look, which he's not sure is even seen, Zasabi tries to gouge the precise location from where the wind originated.
I honestly have no clue what I'd roll for trying to figure this out. Gather information, maybe? With an int modifier rather than a Cha, as I'm just trying to put logical information together?
"We need to get moving!" he yells over the pouring torrent. "Try to put the rocks in between you and the acid! We can't stop it all, but we can try to avoid the majority of it until we get back down to the cliff!"
Zasabi knows, deep inside, that the elves will have gotten a good idea of their location, and will have armed bandits patrolling their likely avenues of escape. To prevent the party from being maimed while in their weakened state, he will proceed to keep a careful watch for anything out of the ordinary in the rain.
So, essentially running continuous spot checks while we're getting away from our exposed position.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-12, 11:41 PM
Aaron

Cursing in a darkly inflected diabolic tongue, Aaron hurriedly finds shelter, ordering Bassanius to do the same.

Voth
2008-02-12, 11:45 PM
Val

Without saying another word, Val quickly follows the others.

Jay Emby
2008-02-13, 05:02 PM
As for healing, Zasabi apparently has claimed the cure light wounds spell, healing him fully. The rest of you recieve 2 points of healing each - It may actually be give or take one person, but I'll gloss over that and let you heal them all a bit. Oddly, Dart is not as injured as the rest - As he's healing him, Cefos doesn't notice the same acid scorches as were on the rest of you. Still, he did take a quarterstaff-smack near the groin and needed some healing, too.

The group dashes for the cliffs again, seeking shelter. Safely covered from the brunt of it, Zasabi peers into the storm, seeking out its source. Downriver, past the point where he guesses the abron's cave to be, he can see a sort of funnel focusing the storm into a single point. It looks very much like what he saw earlier when looking down upon the druid circle here.

(I figured this was a Spot check using Int instead of Wisdom - the ability to catch something "not right" that Spot entails, but actively doing so that Intelligence implies. Gather Info doesn't feel appropriate to me because that skill is all about asking questions and following leads. Anyway . . .)

As Zasabi points this out to the rest of the party, y'all spot an elf walking upriver toward you, but on the opposite shore. He disappears behind some foliage, and is in sight far too briefly for you to make out any details. He's followed moments later by a pair of elves carrying what can only be another sacrifice. A kobold hangs from a pole carried between the two, his hands and feet bound like a pig on a spit. They too disappear into the foliage. Closer up river - but still a distance off, you can catch brief flickers of movement of more (or the same) elves.

You find it impossible to make an accurate count, but you'd say there was anywhere from 6 to a dozen of them heading your way. They have made no indication that they've seen you, but one should never trust an elf.

The_JJ
2008-02-13, 05:37 PM
cefos
Cefos snarls in anger as he sees the second sacrifice being carried out.
We have to move now. C'mon, we can head around the funel.

Jay Emby
2008-02-13, 05:44 PM
(Note: The kobold's not being sacrificed this instant - he's being carried on his way to the sacrifice. You guess that he's the replacement for the kobold recently "saved" by Zasabi.)

Meloku
2008-02-13, 05:45 PM
Renar

Sheathing his blade, Renar sighs.

"Another sacrifice? We need to stop this and get out of here before we get trapped in here by the rain and elves"

((Also - drawing a shortspear))

Torger
2008-02-13, 05:52 PM
Xerxes

Shouting over the rain, Xerxes calls to the others. Will the subhumans not try to reuse this altar? Can we not get them here?

The_JJ
2008-02-13, 06:06 PM
Cefos
We have to stop this.

Hey, what can I say. I think this guy actually cares about NPC's, even the non-humans/core ones. It's nice to mix things up. Let's go do some good, asap.

Zasabi
2008-02-13, 06:43 PM
Samuel's mind raced as he tried to come up with a plan. They had a number of elves heading their way, even more heading toward the sacrificial altar that they had no doubt set up down the river, and who knows how many elves there. They were ridiculously outnumbered and possibly outgunned. The only thing they had was the element of surprise.

Immediately, he would both look around himself to find good ambush spots while trying to remember any that he might have seen on his way down. After having done so, he'd turn to the rest of the group and detail his plan.

"Alright, I have an idea," he began, hunkering down behind a big rock. "I'll get up higher along the path and lure them up. You guys hide down toward the bottom of the path. Once they pass you, I'll shoot a few arrows their way and make a run for it, which will be your cue to pop up and ambush them. Make sure to get the strongest looking ones first. If they have a sacrifice, I'll take care of it."

After detailing his idea, he'd listen to the group's suggestions, if they sounded intelligent, and then proceed to point out good spots before getting into a prime ambushing location.
Plenty of spot checks and probably some "Don't get burnt alive by acid" checks :D

warlock2000
2008-02-13, 08:32 PM
As the black veins return to normal Dart looks at everyone listening intently to the plan. "I think this plan will work as long as the elves don't shoot back. I would consider two of you shooting just to hopeful soften them up a little more."

Trying to recall some point of encouragement or information about elven druids for everyone from his learning. "Whoever is the one leading the ritual will be quite a threat. He is at home in these woods and probably knows them far better then we can imagine. If anyone sees one of the elves who seems above the others we should remove him quickly to prevent more of these rituals from being set up."

Torger
2008-02-14, 01:06 PM
Xerxes

Can we not just pull down the cliff face and crush them all easily?

Zasabi
2008-02-14, 05:54 PM
Zasabi looks at the mage with undisguised disgust. "Sure, we can do that. With an hours preparation, some sappers, perhaps some explosives. And the unique ability to bring every elf in the area down on us all at once."

Shaking his head, he keeps doing what he was doing. "Just make sure to hold such mind-shattering magics until we fight a real contingent of elves, rather than just a scouting party."

Torger
2008-02-14, 06:30 PM
Xerxes

Xerxes scowls blackly at the offensive peon. So, instead of turning our not inconsiderable arcane might against these subhumans, you, instead, propose to single-handedly slaughter them. Do you have loves ones to whom we should convey your remains?

OOC:

No offence, but kiteing an entire elven party solo into a dubious ambush in an area where they have terrain familiarity, magical reinforcement, and numerical advantage doesn't add up.

That shouldn't be a DC 10 Int check.

The_JJ
2008-02-14, 06:43 PM
We don't have TIME we have to move NOW.
Yeah, one unified ambush doesn't look good here. They may not have terrain advantage (they're the invaders.) But they have numbers. And we have a time limit, the sacrifice. Even for those not upset on moral grounds want that to stop before the rain restarts. I think we gotta hit them in lil' groups. You know 'local superiority.' It's ok if they have a better army then you, as long as you army can beat the what it's fighting. Ninja = good, but right now I just want some 'me smash' and/or 'fireball to face' types.

Voth
2008-02-14, 07:23 PM
Val

"I'm sure your all having a lot of fun arguing but heres a thought, why not just split them up. Divide and conquer."

PlasticSoldier
2008-02-14, 08:52 PM
OOC: I have resistance 2 to acid, cold, and electricity.

Aasimar Sam

"How would divide them? There flanks are covered by the Cliffs & the river & the only other way to move is away. I think we should take cover about 40 feet from the sacrificial thingy & ambush them when they're getting prepared."

warlock2000
2008-02-14, 09:03 PM
Dart

Watching the discussion for a moment then hearing Val's response. "Excellent idea. Those who want to go crush the group we see now, before the sacrifice is made should go now. Everyone else save your strength for the rest of the enemy." And with that Dart heads in the direction of the elves we have just seen moving, hoping at least a few come with him.

Voth
2008-02-14, 09:12 PM
Val

"I shall go with Sir Dart. Better I meet these elves head on. Watch your backs my companions. Good Luck!" With that Val runs to catch up with Dart. "I have your back Sir Dart. We have yet to be properly introduced, though I wish it was under better circumstances. I am Val, just Val. Shall we kill some of these upstarts?" Val grins at Dart with a friendly smile, "Bet I can kill more than you."

warlock2000
2008-02-14, 09:25 PM
Dart

Dart nods at Val's introduction and let's out a light laugh at the bet, "I haven't heard a comment like that since I left the western mountain range.", pausing to think. "if that's the bet, I already have one.", he says as he balances with his quarterstaff. "I am not a mindless killer though. If they are not a threat I plan just to subdue. However I doubt were going to find innocents in this battle."

Zasabi
2008-02-14, 09:25 PM
As far as we can see, he said six to twelve elves. We can handle six elves relatively easily, 10 elves with some difficulty but probably still win, and 12 with a seriously doubtful outcome. As for the sacrifice, they can't sacrifice something that's already dead, now can they? As for terrain familiarity, I can't imagine they're too much more familiar than we are at this point. And as for Zas's obvious disbelief in your abilities, if you do have some power to do what you suggest, he wouldn't know of it. Frankly, I don't know either, as I haven't read your char sheet.

Samuel shot the mage a glance that, from someone who was higher level and more magically inclined, could kill.

"No," he said sharply. "I don't intend on killing them on my own. I find it a handy accusation coming from someone who seems to think that he can turn the very valley against them! At least with an ambush we have the element of surprise, and we can hopefully bottle them into a narrow passage that allows us to make their numbers worthless. We obviously can't- "

His argument is cut short as the wizard he just rescued decides to take off running toward the elven contingent. Zasabi goggles at him for a moment, confused as to what just happened. He wordlessly looks back to the rest of the group, then to Dart, who happens to be getting further and further away.

Looking back to the group, he shrugs. "I guess he'll buy us some time while we prepare."

He looks to the mage, his teeth gritted together with a mix of frustration and pain from the acid. "Look, Mage, if you think you can bring down the mountain on them, then we should at least set this up somewhere where we can confine them in an advantageous location. That way, if your...Magic," he says, an obvious note of sarcasm in his voice, "Fails, the rest of us can pick up the slack."

He didn't expect anyone to be so foolhardy as dart and run into the elven pack. At least, he hoped that everyone here had a healthy sense of caution. He hoped.

Voth
2008-02-14, 09:34 PM
I can't just let the man die now can I? :P

Val

"Ha ha! alright then one for you." Val says with a laugh before his face turns towards the elves. "I share your hopes for a peaceful way out of this but I doubt they have any intent to talk before they attempt to kill us. We shall try but always remember this, never let your guard down when your in a fight. Even if the opponent is dead, he can still do harm to you."

Turning back to look over his shoulder, Val checks to see if anyone is following them. "Looks like it may just be you and me. Well on the off chance we don't survivor, it was a pleasure to meet you." Val laughs and turns forward preparing to meet the elves in combat.

Torger
2008-02-14, 10:34 PM
Xerxes

Xerxes draws himself up to his full, not inconsiderable height, and fixes the upstart with an equally black gaze. You lose yourself, churl. A few well-places blasts from this company at the cliff-face opposite can easily create an avalanche, but if you would prefer to cower in the shadows and strike like a snake, then by all means. Their numbers are as worthless to me as your ill-bred opinion. You have already earned my ire. Do not compound your error this day.

He turns with a flourish of his cape, following the other two, his long legs devouring the distance. Over his shoulder, Xerxes calls back to those left behind. Any who wish to carry out actions that actually affect our fate would do well to follow. Otherwise, by all means, remain cowering, and wait for death to come to you.

A tangible aura of fel power begins to surround Xerxes, fueled by his ire, and head-sized loose rocks begin exploding around him as he walks after the other two.

Val, wasn't it? It would seem that the wrath of your god and mine will be put to the test this day.

Voth
2008-02-14, 10:52 PM
Val

"It appears so. Care to joy are little bet?" Val says with a smile. "I've bet Dart here that I can kill more elves than he can, think you can beat me?"

Zasabi
2008-02-14, 11:45 PM
Samuel scowled as the bastard of a mage turned to follow Dart and Val. "Good riddance, then." He muttered as he turned to the rest of the party. "So then, what are you lot going to do? Follow those fools into death, or let them slow down the elves while we get into a viable ambush spot?"

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-15, 09:04 AM
Aaron

"Look. Right now they are basically single file, its probably the best time to attack them... before they are all clustered up. Lets all just stop this frikin bellyaching and set up to attack them as they approach the altar." He gives each of you a hard look in the face... and with his face, its a hard look. "Or we can all sit here bellyaching and they can ambush US." He turns and walks down the trail to join the attackers. "Come, Bassanius."

Meloku
2008-02-15, 09:31 AM
Renar

"Is there any reason we can't do both? The more magically minded among us go and attempt to set up an avalanche, and the more martially minded stay out of the way, set up an ambush, and pick up the straggelers. Certainly, I won't be useful chipping away at bits of rock"

Zasabi
2008-02-15, 11:55 AM
Zasabi looked to Renar with a look of relief. "Finally, someone with a brain. So let's find a decent spot that will allow us to catch them."

Samuel would proceed to scout out the area for a decent location for an ambush, preferably close enough that if everyone decided to go insane and attack the elves, he could provide support. Preferably from a distance.

The_JJ
2008-02-15, 05:22 PM
Cefos
Cefos swings his mace menecingly. We need to save their prisoner. Whatever we do, we need to do now.

Jay Emby
2008-02-15, 05:53 PM
So Dart heads out to the fight, followed by Val, Xerxes and Aaron (with Bassanius).

Zasabi and Renar hold back to set up an ambush when the first wave fails.

I'm not sure about Cefos. I think he's heading out with Dart but I can't tell.

Unfortunately, I don't really have any time tonight to start up this fight. Fridays, eh? I'll do it tomorrow - and hopefully I'll be feeling writerly creative. A couple questions, though, for the first wave.

1)are you casting any spells in preparation for the encounter, or doing anything else?

2)Are you guys charging in weapons first, or are you gonna try some parley first? If it's parley, could I get an idea of what outcome you're seeking, and what approach you're taking? (Example: you might tell me that you want them to surrender through intimidation; through diplomacy; or some other more creative means. Or would you want to perhaps turn them to your side, attempt to join their side, trick them into something else? As far as parley goes, the options are endless. And whatever you might want to try may very well work.)

The_JJ
2008-02-15, 06:28 PM
Yeah Cefos is following Dart.
As for parley etc. he has a really high diplo stuff, but I don't think he's in the mood. Right now he wants to kill.
The only spell I have left is my domain spell, magic weapon.

Voth
2008-02-15, 06:56 PM
O_o Can I use cards for Parley? :P If anyone gets that reference you get an e-cookie. I'll use diplomacy to attempt to parley with them. Val would attempt to appeal to their ego, and other positive aspects. If you want me just let me know.

Zasabi
2008-02-15, 07:41 PM
OOC: Actually, since everyone but him and Renar? are attacking the elves, he's going to proceed to get into a good spot where he can aid the party from a distance, perferably at little danger to himself(so, for example, a small overhang close enough to allow him to strike more or less at will while keeping out of danger. He'll help Renar up if he wants to follow him, or do his best to keep the enemies off of him if he wants to help the others.
Essentially, Spot or search a good attack spot, climb up to it if necessary, and proceed to fire at the elves and help out anyone who seems down and out...with the exception of Xerxes.

PlasticSoldier
2008-02-15, 08:18 PM
I'm going to hide while the parley group parleys.
If the "sacrifice" is conscious I'll cast message at him & ask him about the attackers.

warlock2000
2008-02-15, 09:16 PM
If Parley goes well Dart will do nothing. If things seem to decline he will cast fist of stone and attack those armed with sharp weapons. (Come on every bloody elf can use a longsword.)

Torger
2008-02-15, 10:25 PM
No real interest in parley over here. You wanna try, go ahead, but I'm gonna stay back around 60' and Eldrich blast some mofos. Assuming they don't bow to their obvious betters.

Anyone gets close to me, baleful utterance on their weapon.

This is just in case I'm in abstensia over the next few days.

Meloku
2008-02-15, 10:32 PM
((Well, no real actions to annotate, but I'm going to find a place where the rest of the party is in view and I can get into range within 2 or so rounds, but still be concealed. Basically, I'm with Zasabi))

Zasabi
2008-02-15, 10:57 PM
OOC: Oops! Double post!

Jay Emby
2008-02-16, 10:43 AM
Anxious to kill something, Xerxes lets loose with his eldritch blast the moment that an elf steps into sight. The blast tears into the unsuspecting fey, who staggers back, heavily injured but still standing. Everyone's a little suprised by this, but Dart manages to cast his spells in preparation.

Some of the elves duck their heads, the one Xerxes hit dashes sideways through the woods, while others scatter, perhaps tactically, perhaps in fright. Y'all lose sight of which was which, and you're not sure if you know where they all are.

Dart also notices that the elves to his right are armed with spears (That'd be the left side of the map)

Initiative:
Renar 24
Aaron 21
Xerxes 14
Zasabi 13
Cefos 13
Dart Init 9
Val 5
Sam 4

Elves last

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg155/jayemby/gorge.gif

Jay Emby
2008-02-16, 11:07 AM
Oh, if the map ain't clear: the green circles are trees, the really thick blue line is the river, the brown circles represent the druidic circle with the altar in the center, and the black lines are the cliffs.

Torger, with the way they scattered, the two elves closest to the bottom-left of the map are potential targets for dropping the cliff on, as would be anyone else with 3 squares of the cliff. (I know that means 15 feet away and may seem way to far, but I don't care).

One more thing, guys. I should introduce a houserule I use, and which Torger would be employing by "blowing up" the cliff (umm, check the OOC thread)

The_JJ
2008-02-16, 12:09 PM
Cefos
Magic weapon on nearest melee fighter once it's my turn. Then I go sreaming in with flail held high.

Zasabi
2008-02-16, 12:28 PM
Quickly taking stock of he situation, Zasabi would whisper to his comrades "If you can sneak around and climb down, we can attack the elves from behind."

Spying a small overhang near the group, Zasabi would cautiously make his way to it, taking advantage of the rocks nearby to avoid the most rain. He would use this spot to fire arrows at the elves, delaying his action until one decided to try running up to the group, or at least get within 30 feet of him so that he could utilize his most useful skills.

Sorry for the ****ty post. I'm tired beyond belief this morning :D

Voth
2008-02-16, 01:27 PM
Val

So much from negotiations Val sighs and then moves towards the closest two trees, attempting to remain hidden as to get the drop on an unsuspecting elf.

Meloku
2008-02-16, 01:31 PM
Renar

Silent now that battle has been joined, Renar hefts his spear and approaches the elves, staying in cover if at all possible ((Trying to move towards the three trees that are one up and two right (or so) of Aaron))

warlock2000
2008-02-16, 08:36 PM
Dart

After a short curse about the blast in Draconic. "The ones on the right are mine.", casting Expeditious Retreat, dart runs towards the Elves with the spears as quickly as he can get there. If chance attack with fist of Stone.

Fist of Stone attack [roll0] and damage if hits [roll1]

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-16, 09:34 PM
[b]Aaron[b]

Aaron points and fires his crossbow, aiming for the injured elf if possible, or another elf if that elf is in partial or full cover, then moving forward 10 feet.

Bassanius takes advantage of the sling tied to his wrist, whipping a sling bullet at the same elf (if it survives Aaron), then moving forward 10 feet.

Aaron
[roll0]
[roll1]

Bassanius
[roll2]
[roll3]

Jay Emby
2008-02-17, 09:43 AM
Renar slogs through the mud up to the rear of assaulting party.

Loverboy and his "pool-boy" focus their strikes upon the easiest target - the only foolish elf not to have cover, dropping him to the ground with a bolt in his gut and a stone in his face. Dart curses loudly about them taking his kill.

Xerxes also curses as his eldritch blast flies through the air and smashes into the cliffside, bringing a boulder down upon the elf corpse, only raining dirt and dust upon the elf beside the corpse.

Zasabi moves into sniping position above the party and slips between some shrubbery to hide.

Cefos managed to cast magic weapon on Val the round before, while Xerxes blasted the first elf to get this party started. This round he charges forward toward the elves. He slogs through the muddy bank and springs into the river. He leans into the rushing water and wades through, but before he can reach the middle of the river, he is slammed by a wave that toppples him over and sends him crashing downstream. (This will require a Strength check next round to stop being carried away farther; keep failing these checks and you'll suffer some bruising damage. I rolled a 1 on the d20 for you this round; my d20 has a skull in place of a 1, but that doesn't mean anything. Not at all.)

Dart slogs through the mud and leaps through the river more agilely, reaching the other side and continuing on until he stands toe-to-toe with a damned dirty elf. Dart's veins start flowing black again.

In the confusion as the battle begins, Val slips into the river and slides out the other side. He sidles up to a tree and hopes he hasn't been noticed.

--

The only elf in melee reels in his spear and stabs at Dart. he lands a solid blow on the bold transmuter, but Dart ignores the pain as the spear has no effect.

The elf between Dart and Val, thinking himself very brilliant tactically, hefts his quarterstaff and moves to flank Dart. His path takes him within reach of Val. The monk leaps from behind a tree - cobra-style! - and utterly fails to connect with this ambush of opportunity. Magic fist and all, he just slaps at the air. The elf, surprised, nonetheless carries on to Dart. As the only one to directly confront the elves, Dart must be the most formidable foe. It'd be best to take him out quickly. The elf swings at the transmuter with his staff, but fails to connect even with the help from the flanker.

A third elf moves up from the rear towards Dart, drawing a sickle as he nears. With a mighty swing, he rips the sickle across Dart's chest, dealing 7 points of damage.

The other elves take up defensive positions behind trees. They've already seen two missiles and a boulder! take out one of them. They're a little cautious, not knowing what they're up against and all. All of them but the one flanking Dart has cover.

Initiative:
Renar 24
Aaron 21
Xerxes 14
Zasabi 13
Cefos 13
Dart Init 9
Val 5
Sam 4

Elves last

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg155/jayemby/gorge-1.gif

(I can't seem to find a good monk, cleric or warblade smiley. Dart seems very necromancerish, so I'm having a hard time finding one for Aaron, too. Anybody got a good one for themselves or someone else?)

Meloku
2008-02-17, 10:40 AM
Renar

Moving forwards towards the closest elf, Renar hefts his spear and takes, admittedly, an improbable shot, but the only shot available to him at that distance.

Moving 1 W, 5 S, and attacking the nearest elf (assuming it doesn't have total cover) with my shortspear. My rolls
(2 range increments consumed, so -4, +2 is -2, change for cover)
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Confirmation, if required: [roll2]
+Damage: [roll3]

If it does have total cover, I'll move again to right above it.

Oh, and a possible smiley is the standard Wizard's boards confrontation smiley, located here (http://forums.gleemax.com/images/smilies/fighter.gif).

warlock2000
2008-02-17, 10:42 AM
Dart

Seeming very concerned about the one with the quarterstaff Dart turns to strike him.

Fist of Stone attack [roll0] and damage if hits [roll1] [/QUOTE]

Torger
2008-02-17, 11:14 AM
Xerxes

Suddenly lacking in viable targets, Xerxes moves to the water's edge, selects the nearest elf, and speaks a single work, utterly destroying his weapon.

H'dj!

Baleful Utterance

Jay Emby
2008-02-17, 12:31 PM
Doh! I forgot about Sam's message spell.

The kobold is conscious, but highly confused by suddenly hearing you. After the whole "what! Who's that! Where are you?" rigamarole that takes up the first bit of the conversation, the kobold is still not very coherent. He wails about them all being dead, torture, murder, evil evil gods as he pleads with you to save him, save him please.

Renar's spear hits his chosen target, despite the cover. The elf still stands.

(Waiting on Jael)

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-17, 01:08 PM
Aaron

Aaron fires a crossbow bolt at the elf flanking Dart. Pointing at the one next to him (not flanking, just to the right of him) "Bassanius. Charge!"

sorry to make you wait :)

Aaron
[roll0] - shooting only guy without cover, but alas, into melee
[roll1]

Bassanius
[roll2] (charging, halberd, so charging straight forward 4 spaces, then making a 10ft attack at an angle on the elfey)
[roll3]
\
oh, bassanius' AC = 18 this round due to -2 from chargey-charge

Jay Emby
2008-02-17, 01:38 PM
I wasn't really waiting on you, so much as explaining why I didn't continue describing the effect of Xerxes' or Dart's actions in my previous post.

Aaron's bolt passes smacks harmlessly into a tree trunk (perhaps annoying an ent somewhere).

Bassanius grunts as he plods through the river, ignoring the rushing water as he hangs his sling on his belt and hefts his halberd. Standing on the far bank, he mechanically swings, missing the sickle-wielding elf but hitting the tree hard with the follow-through of his swing. (That scrying ent is getting real pissed off)

Xerxes Dark Speech sunders the elf's quarterstaff. Shocked, the elf just stares at his broken weapon.

Zasabi's up

(Two things, Jael: Bassanius couldn't charge through the river, considered difficult terrain. That tree between him and target provided cover. Don't worry, Bass missed regardless of that, though.)

Jay Emby
2008-02-17, 03:11 PM
Well, I found icons for every one. If you'd prefer something else, just send it to me.

I also found this bad boy you might want to prepare for: http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg155/jayemby/Dragon_Emoticon_by_talanis.gif

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg155/jayemby/gorge-2.gif

Voth
2008-02-17, 04:01 PM
Val

Seeing Dart in surrounded, Val attempts to charge the closest elf to aid Dart.

Zasabi
2008-02-17, 08:11 PM
Zasabi is going to stay in place, firing an arrow at maximum range at the elf that is most exposed to him. Immediately after firing, he's going to duck behind cover as to not lose the aspect of surprise. At that range, he won't be able to hit anything too vital, but he should be able to still damage the elf.
He's targeting the elf that is to the left of Bassinius, about three squares or so standing in the small cluster of trees. Zas won't get a sneak attack bonus, but he still gets +3 if I'm not mistaken to his bow attack.

PlasticSoldier
2008-02-18, 06:43 PM
Sam

I'm going to spend the turn running over to the space above Bassanius. While running I respond to the Kobold with "Stay Calm, we'll rescue you in 30 seconds top."

The_JJ
2008-02-18, 06:52 PM
Excellent, I'm now in flanking postition. I charge again, heading for the elf directly to the left.
strenght check[roll0]
can I have a plus one circumstance bonus for "really pissed off?"

Jay Emby
2008-02-19, 08:27 PM
(and here's where the dice falter for Zasabi)

Zasabi's arrow strikes true, but tis but the merest flesh wound (1 hp damage)

Cefos rights himself in the whitewater and pushes out onto the shore where, pissed off, he flails at the poor elf with the spear in his leg, a broken staff in his hand and blank stare on his face. The flail to the chest finally ends his misery. (Since you rolled well enough on your Strength check, and subsequent attack roll I'm gonna say sure, you got a +1 Pissed Off bonus that round. Didn't change anything - the elf's still dead :smallamused: )

Dart reels on the attacker who moved to flank him. With a solid fist to the skull, he drops the elf.

Val watches his betting rival's success and steps forward to improve his score. His magical fist is useless, though, as his right hook catches nothing but air.

Sam, looking to improve his position and ready a fantastic assault and rescue, stumbles in the rushing water and is swept downriver, following Cefos's previously charted but uncontrolled course. (You too will need a Strength check to get out)

--

The spear-wielding elf, deprived of his flanking support, stabs at Dart but misses. His ally with the sickle ignores the so-far ineffectual Val who now also conveniently blocks Bassanius, to focus upon the tanking Dart. The sickle strikes a resounding blow . . . blocked by Dart magic armor.

The elf standing back from this fight is not anxious to step into the fray with Dart. Rather, he draws his spear back and finding the right moment, launches a precise shot into Dart's shoulder. Yet The transmuter remains as unharmed as he was before he struck his killing blow moments earlier

the damage that isn't reduced by the DR soaks up the temporary hit points gained from your kill, leaving you exactly where you were before, hit point-wise

--
Act 1, Scene Elf

Aramir: Oh damnit where'd that come from?
Zekiale: I don't know! up there somewhere. Ahead of Joener - who's that?
Aramir: I don't know, but don't just stand there, get behind a tree.
Zekiale: They're attacking there, to the left.
Aramir: What? Where? I don't see anything.
Zekiale: Dig your head out of that tree and look. There!
Aramir: It looks like a human!
Zekiale: Yeah, I think so.
Aramir: What are humans doing here?
Zekiale: Attacking us.
Aramir: I mean, why?
Zekiale: It's obvious, Mir. They want our kobolds.
Aramir: We've only got the one - oh crap, Joener! Watch out for that spear!
(Aramir and Zekiale wince)
Aramir: Get out of there Joener!
Zekiale: Yeah, run, they're surrounding you - his staff, it just shattered!
Aramir: Why is he just standing there, looking like a fool.
Zekiale: He is a fool! Always was. Get out of there, you fool! Someone's coming out of the river.
Aramir: RUN!
Zekiale: RUN! . . . He's not running. He's not even movi-
(Aramir and Zekiale wince)
Zekiale: Dammit! We gotta do something.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg155/jayemby/gorge-3.gif

Renar 24
Aaron 21
Xerxes 14
Zasabi 13
Cefos 13
Dart Init 9
Val 5
Sam 4

Elves last

Meloku
2008-02-19, 08:39 PM
Renar

Moving forwards, through the river, Renar draws another shortspear, and, when he judges his range, hurls another spear at the retreating-seeming elf ((Moving to directly north of Cefos, if there's one square of river I'm with 1 movement available, and attacking the elf directly south of me))

Luckily, the elf is within one range increment, so win-win.
[roll0]
[roll1]
+forcrit
[roll2]
[roll3]

Torger
2008-02-19, 09:27 PM
Xerxes

Eyes glowing with eldrich fury, Xerxes blasts the cliff face above the south-most elf not holding the kobold, attempting to bring more of the cliff face down onto the sub-human. Then, he runs down along the water's edge, closing in on the remaining elves.

The_JJ
2008-02-19, 10:16 PM
Cefos
I'll turn and assist Sam.
strenght [roll0]

Voth
2008-02-19, 10:38 PM
Val

Seriously? I have done nothing this combat? What are you rolling for me Jay?

Val, still a bit angry at his string of failed attempts, moves out of the way of Bassanius and then attempts to deliver a punch to the nearest elf.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-20, 12:48 AM
Aaron

Moving two hexes diagonally to the left, Aaron lets loose an arrow at the elf engaged in combat with Dart. Right after that, Bassanius moves two spaces left and then attacks the same elf.

Aaron
[roll0]
[roll1]

Bassanius
[roll2]
[roll3]

PlasticSoldier
2008-02-20, 06:51 AM
Sam

I'll try to get out & let Cefos assist me.

[roll0]

Zasabi
2008-02-20, 09:04 AM
Zasabi will, upon noticing a lack of targets, decide to run stealthily across the cliff side, short bow prepared. He would then take aim, but wait for someone to jump out of cover to actually shoot.
At school, so sorry for the crappy post, but essentially he's going to run to the tree closest to the cliff line(near that little jagged line thing) and delay his action until someone moves out of cover. (Which I'm fairly sure the Players guide says I can do. I don't know completely, however.)Upon someone moving out of the way, he'll proceed to take pot shots at them.

Jay Emby
2008-02-22, 06:26 PM
Renar draws a new spear as he wades into the water - and then is swept up in the current, following Sam (I can't believe I rolled a 1 on that Strength check - and if y'all hadn't figured it out yet, I'm just as willing to use the scenery against you as I'm willing to let you use it against your foes)

Aaron's bolt misses horrendously. He doesn't even hit the air. His shot just vanishes. (although hitting -1 would be pretty good if we were playing AD&D)

Bassanius connects brutally with his halberd, however. Yet this elf is hearty, he takes the blow sand remains standing.

Xerxes' misjudges where he should aim his eldritch blast. Sure, he hits the cliff - it's bigger than the broad side of a barn, he really couldn't miss it - but the debris he dislodges comes nowhere near the elf. A boulder crashes down, knocking over a tree (thoroughly pissing off that ent!)

Zasabi dashes along the cliff and readies to strike at the first elf to pop his head out from cover (Yeah, the PH certainly allows this: Specifically, it's "ready an action." delaying is slightly different, not triggered by someone else's action)

Cefos rushes back to the riverbank and extends his flail out toward Sam as the wizard approaches

Val, flanking, unleashes his pent-up frustration at the elf Bassanius just hit, delivering a resounding smash upside the head that knocks the brains out of the poor, druidic fey, splattering Dart with a bit of the grey matter.

(Oh, and you weren't in Bass's way before. I had typed that before I had the positioning sorted out but forgot to edit it. And besides, as Bass has moved, there's no need for you to. As for what I've been rolling for you, that's simple: nothing good, at least until this critical hit)

Now waiting for Dart before we find out if Sam makes it out of the river (but with that roll of his, we should all know the answer) and then we'll see what the elves do. My money is on Zekiale and Aramir fleeing, considering they just saw their leader's brain punched out of his skull. I know I wouldn't be hanging around to be next in line.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg155/jayemby/gorge-4.gif

(also: regarding rolling: If you can anticipate a roll you'll need, go ahead and type it into your post. I've been using your results when they're applicable. But if your actions indicate a roll that you haven't anticipated, I've been making them myself with the dice that are on my computer desk. Val, you might want to consider anticipating every possible roll you'll need, seening as how my dice seem to hate you :smallyuk: )

Zasabi
2008-02-22, 06:52 PM
Zasabi, noting that he's still too far out of range, will spend his next turn moving up to his speed along the cliff side, noticing as he does so an elf who is exposed. Should the elf still be exposed, he'll take advantage of his relative stealth and take careful aim, attempting to drop the elf in one shot.
Essentially, he'll move up to his speed while attempting to keep more or less hidden, making hide checks as needed, and do a sneak attack on the elf, who should be within 30 feet. He should end on a row below Xerxes, and the elf is the one a row below that.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-22, 08:51 PM
Aaron

Bassanius moves diagonally down one to the left and takes a swing at the elf below Dart. Meanwhile, Aaron is chanting. Threatening black tendrils extend from the ground and gather in front of his chest. Sweat beads on his forehead and his skin slowly goes a sickly gray. Then, the ball of darkness shimmers and dissapears. Across the forest, the elves and kobold suddenly feel drowsy... bassanius
[roll0]
[roll1]

Aaron : cast sleep, intellectual trick, 1d6 negative energy damage (not memorized, lvl 1 spell), DC for elves = 15 will.
[roll2]damage to aaron

warlock2000
2008-02-22, 09:31 PM
Dart attacks the last elf beside him.

to hit [roll0] damage if hit [roll1]

The_JJ
2008-02-22, 10:19 PM
You know what I will do, I just don't know what all to roll. :smallannoyed:

Voth
2008-02-22, 10:29 PM
"Bout time," Val says as he turns away from the elf's body. "Next victim..."

Turning to face the nearest elf, Val spies a tree. Taking a running jump, Val grabs at the tree branch in an attempt to missile kick the elf.

Stunt Check Time! Dexterity Test DC 15: [roll0]Crap!

PlasticSoldier
2008-02-22, 11:22 PM
Sam

Seeing Renar Sam says "Terrible day for a swim isn't it?"

And here are a bunch of strength rolls.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Jay Emby
2008-02-23, 12:15 PM
Dart's strike knocks down the last elf surrounding him.

Sam reaches out Cefos, but fails to clasp on as a wave washes over his head and carries him farther downstream (off the map!), bouncing his kness and arms against the rocks jutting out menacingly (suffering a measly 2 damage)

----

The last elf standing among the group surrounding Dart is visibly relieved that he hadn't entered melee. He had thrown a spear and, currently unarmed, decides that rather than drawing another weapon he'd be better off raising his hands in surrender. And that's what he does.

The other elf near the fray, sees an opportunity. The river seems to be a greater threat than any of his allies. He rushes out towards Cefos to bull rush him into the river. Breaking out into the open, he easily dodges the arrow from Zasabi's readied shot. Cefos's attack of opportunity is futile, but he stands fast against the elf's attempt.

Aramir: Thure's chaging!
Zekiale: Junio's surrendering!
Aramir: What do we do?
Zekiale: RUN!

The two elves drop the kobold to the ground and start running.

Aramir follows Thure's lead and runs straight to Cefos, attempting the same maneuver. Cefos stands strong again, knocking Aramir back into Thule and onto the ground.

Zekiale follows Junio's lead and runs away.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg155/jayemby/gorge-5.gif

I know some of y'all have provided actions, but you might want to reconsider, since there's a decent chance that you can finish the fight by demanding surrender from the last two elves fighting: the ones in front of Cefos; one standing, one on the ground.

Voth
2008-02-23, 12:22 PM
Val

Approaching the two elves in front of Cefos, Val walks calmly up to them.

"Surrender now. We have no wish to spill unnecessary blood." Val says in a calm diplomatic tone.

Diplomacy Check:[roll0]

Torger
2008-02-23, 12:41 PM
Xerxes

Almost negligently, Xerxes speaks the fel word of power and sunders the weapon of one of the bull-rushing elves. H'dj! Fall on your knees before your betters, churlish swine, or feel the wrath of the Lady of Vengeance.

[roll0]

PlasticSoldier
2008-02-23, 01:39 PM
(I am totally building a bridge before we leave. Anyone want to help?)
This is just a placeholder until I know what options I have besides make a strength check.

Jay Emby
2008-02-23, 02:29 PM
((You don't need to worry, the next Strength check you rolled above gets you out of the river.))

Meloku
2008-02-23, 05:51 PM
Renar

(([roll0]))

As he attempts to pull himself out of the river, a few feet (5) downriver, holding his spear out towards the elves.

"On your knees."

((Also, stance of clarity on the standing one - +2 AC vs him, -2 vs everyone else (19 and 15)))

Zasabi
2008-02-23, 08:37 PM
Upon seeing everyone stop fighting, Zasabi proceeds to follow the retreating elves. He will try to prevent them from escaping and warning the rest of the elves by the simplest way possible- shooting them in the face.
He's just going to chase after the elves who dropped the kobold. If they surrender, he won't kill them, but if they continue running, he will proceed to shoot at them. He'll make spot checks to make sure he doesn't reach sight of any other elves, and hide checks to keep from being spotted and to preserve any possible sneak attacks.

The_JJ
2008-02-23, 10:15 PM
I'll knock the guy over still, but give him the chance to surrender.

Jay Emby
2008-02-24, 11:01 AM
Renar crawls onto the river bank as Xerxes's dread word blasts the elf's spear into a thousand shards. The elf is left stunned - his face registering pure shock, the tips of his hair turn white. And then Cefos knocks him to ground and on top of Aramir with far more force than is absolutely necessary.

So it's no surprise that when Val offers a chance to surrender, Aramir, laying face down in mud, his ally on top of him, he mutters "Obviously." The elf on top of him, still in shock, grunts feebly.

The fourth elf, the one who surrendered last round, remains standing there doing nothing.

--

As Sam struggles up on the river bank, the fleeing elf runs past, followed in hot pursuit by Zasabi. Zekiale answers the ninja's call for surrender with "Screw you!" but quickly relents when struck painfully in the side by an arrow. "alright, alright!" he mutters, slowing to a stop, pressing his hands on the wound. "Just don't do that again!"

He turns around to face Zasabi and Sam. Panting, he asks the obvious question: "Why in Hades are you attacking us?"

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-24, 04:30 PM
Aaron

"Bassanius, start burying the dead." Aaron takes out his map again, and makes another skull mark locating these corpses.

Walking towards the still-living elves... "Why? I wasn't aware we needed a reason." He pauses, and smiles, taking full advantage of his horrible scars (intimidate[roll0]). "However.... tell us everything you have been doing recently. Especially... where did you get the kobold?"

The_JJ
2008-02-24, 04:35 PM
Cefos
Cefos stands up and hefts his flail.
Murder is frowned upon in these parts.

PlasticSoldier
2008-02-24, 05:20 PM
Sam

"Especially when the victim is a vassal of our employer."

Zasabi
2008-02-24, 05:45 PM
I thought that me and Sam were some distance away from the rest of the party, due to us chasing the elf, but I guess we could've... I dunno, marched him back or something.

Zasabi led the surrendering elf back to the rest of the group, assisting Sam if necessary. "You alright?" he asks as he takes in his comrades waterlogged appearance.

After everyone makes their bold statements to the injured elves, Zasabi determines that it would better serve his appearance as a grim archer to simply stay silent. He sheathes his shortbow and proceeds to take in the appearance of the party, noting with a mental curse that the foreign priest still lived. It would seem that life was not going to reward him so quickly.

Stepping back from the rest of the party, Zasabi would proceed to find a good spot to look out over the valley, making sure that no more elves were on their way.
So essentially, he's gonna attempt to climb carefully up a nearby tree (tallest he can find) and scout the area around them to see if he can see any more elves, especially any heading in their general direction. Climb is +2, Spot is +4
[spoiler]

Jay Emby
2008-02-24, 05:49 PM
Rather than being intimidated, the elf smirks at Aaron. Emboldened by Cefos stepping in to protect him, the elf feels confident enough to make a joke. "I bought him at the kobold store - there's a cave just down the river, selling them cheap."

"oh, wait - wait" Aramir says from the ground "Are you humans actually here to defend these kobold slavers? You've come to put us back in the shackles our kin just freed us from?"

EDIT:
{I thought that me and Sam were some distance away from the rest of the party, due to us chasing the elf, but I guess we could've... I dunno, marched him back or something.}

Yeah, you were some distance off, but oh well. I guess we'll say that yeah you did march him back.

Voth
2008-02-24, 08:19 PM
Val

Looking at the elves, he raises an eyebrow. "What shackles are you referring to?"

The_JJ
2008-02-25, 05:56 PM
Cefos

Actually *smack w/ but end of the flail* I was refering to the kobold dead on the altar over there.

Oh gods moral dilema.

PlasticSoldier
2008-02-25, 06:58 PM
Sam

"Your suffering would be much more disheartening without the human sacrifice & acid rain." I then say a few words which can be easily recognized as celestial "But I'll make sure your slavery ends sooner if you stop asking questions & start answering them.

I'm casting Charm Person on the elf DC is 14. If that fails here's a diplomacy check [roll0]

Torger
2008-02-25, 07:13 PM
Xerxes

Emerging from the water, the tall, dusky-skinned warlock does not wait for invitation to barge into the discussion. The fabricated reasonings of worthless sub-humans is meaningless. You are in violation of the rightful lands of one King Paladine, who has, for the moment, secured the loyalty and ability of this disparate group. I, as you may have gathered, am the very Avatar of the Lady of Vengeance, and unless you can produce reason enough to stay my hand, your suffering will be legendary, and your festering carcasses will stand in mute testament as a warning to all other worthless churls who might seek to subvert my will. Now, speak.

[roll0]

Jay Emby
2008-02-25, 07:38 PM
Answering first Val, The elf says "These filthy kobolds and their demon-king forced us to work their mangy farms - agriculture!" he spits at the last word. Farming, apparently, is not a proper elven endeavor.

To Cefos, another elf exclaims "Murder! Killing that kobold was justice. They deserved far worse than slow death for what they did to us!"

Xerxes elicits almost the opposite reaction than he was seeking. The elves are actually starting to get defiant. They are clearly afraid of you, but there's a look in their eyes that's daring you to strike out as fiercely as you can.

Then Sam casts his spell, and one of them says "Yeah, I'll tell you what you want to know."

You notice that the storm is once again weakening.

The_JJ
2008-02-25, 07:49 PM
Cefos
If you speak the truth, then even so extra-legal lynichings are not the way to do things.*glances at Xerxces* "Share not the sinners crimes. Be-est thou holyier then he, and prosper."
To the one who seems to be speaking under the spell. So tell me, do you speak the truth?

Torger
2008-02-25, 07:54 PM
Xerxes

There are no laws, no right, no wrong. There is only power and the ability to wield it.

Xerxes falls silent as the elf begins to speak, looming at the water's edge.

PlasticSoldier
2008-02-25, 08:12 PM
Sam

Turning to Xerxes I say "But those who have the ability to wield power have decided that there should be laws". Then I turn to the elf who said he'd tell me what he knows."So then where are the rest of the elves, what would it take for them to surrender, who organized this, & where were you originally from?"

Edit: I just noticed DarkGreen is really hard to tell apart from Black. So I'm changing to SeaGreen

Jay Emby
2008-02-25, 08:21 PM
"Yes, I speak the truth. They're at the other Druidic circle we set up downriver, past the demon's cave." The elf looks up into the waning storm. "With the last of the kobolds soon dying on the altar there, our storm will soon end. Without the acid to keep him trapped him inside the cave, the demon will be free to attack us. If you are in league with him, my kin will not surrender to you. It is better to die in battle."

The_JJ
2008-02-25, 09:49 PM
Cefos

May the god save us from fanatics, yea, verily, for they annoyest myself mucheth.

The last of the kobolds? If you speak the truth about thier crimes, then you shall be punished, though I suspect we can ease it lightly. I'll be madder at the Baron for failing his serfs so. If you lie or have been lied to... I wish you souls well, but I doubt you'll find rest after your life, and I aim to insure you find none in this.

PlasticSoldier
2008-02-25, 09:59 PM
Sam

"Either way we need to get over there fast."

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-25, 11:58 PM
Aaron

"Well. Sitting around is definitely NOT the fastest way to get there..." He looks around at the group. "These elves are just going to slow us down... We should get rid of them."

PlasticSoldier
2008-02-26, 12:08 AM
Sam

"No, if we let them live they can start up diplomacy with the other elves."

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-26, 12:24 AM
Aaron

"Huh. Diplomacy. We use diplomacy to stop them from killing the kobolds... then we use diplomacy to stop the kobolds from killing them... then we use diplomacy to stop our *sarcastic* illustrious king *end sarcastic* from killing us.... Seems pretty complex. Lets just give the survivors an ultimatum... go back to work, or die." He pauses, and smiles at their prisoners. "AFTER enough have died to make them listen."

PlasticSoldier
2008-02-26, 12:29 AM
Sam

"Terrorizing slaves is what caused these elves to attack. Also if we kill slaves we'll have to do manual labor by ourselves. And also killing people who cooperate with us discourages people from doing it in the future."

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-26, 12:40 AM
Aaron

"Only if witnesses survive." He raises an eyebrow. "If you think you can simply TALK them back to work, however... Feel free. I will be in charge of Plan B."

PlasticSoldier
2008-02-26, 12:53 AM
Sam

"Ok, then. Elfy come with me. Does anyone else want to come with me?"

Zasabi
2008-02-26, 01:32 AM
Zasabi, having come down from his..presumably?.. successful scouting, has recently rejoined with the rest of the group in time to hear of Samuel's plan. Deciding that Sam seemed to be the only one he could put up with at the moment, he walks toward the man, his right hand resting on the coiled whip at his side.

"I'll accompany you," he plainly states. "You might need backup escaping if things turn for the worst."

And despite the fact that none of the rest of the party knew this, his training had included a crash course in Elven, which he had practiced to fluency. If the elves had anything to say that they'd prefer the group to not hear, Zasabi would be able to tell, giving this mission a slightly higher chance of survival.

Voth
2008-02-26, 01:34 AM
Val

"I'll go." Val says, apporaching Sam. "If anything you could use a diplomat in this situation."

Turning to others, Val continues. "I would appreciate it if you did join us. If things do not go as planned then I am sure we could use your aid."

Turning at last to the elves, Val approaches them. "I believe you have acted as you saw was right. In your eyes, you tried to preform justice as you saw fit. While this may not be acceptable to many people, it has been done." Val places his hand on there shoulders, looking them in the eyes. "Your not evil creatures, just tortured souls. Come. Join us. Help us convince your brethren that while revenge is sweet, it is not necessary here. Would it not be better to remember your fallen comrades, not out of bloodshed, but out of survival. Live on, remember them. Past down their story to others. Words can wound deeper than any blade. Make no physical attacks against the demon king, but if you denounce his ways, others will join you."

I believe thats a diplomacy check... Do I get some sort of bonus or something for that speech? +7 to my diplomacy in any event.

The_JJ
2008-02-26, 05:50 PM
Cefos
We've yet to see them prove thier honesty. They may have killed that kobold for any number of reasons. Still, they might be telling the truth, in which case it would be in our intrests to talk to these people, not kill them. If they still resist... well, as the knight in service of our lord, and our gods, we have the right to carry out executions. Cefos glances at Aaron, tempted to repeat the scripture on sharing sins.

Jay Emby
2008-02-26, 06:01 PM
((That would definitely be a Diplomacy check))

The elves exchange questioning glances with each other, and silently come to a consensus. They nod to each other. The charmed one finally says "Yes, we'll follow you and help you talk to Surion, the druid who rescued us."

Voth
2008-02-27, 01:21 AM
Val

"Thank you. With your aid we might be able to end this without further bloodshed from either side." Helping the two elves up, Val turns to face the group. "Both Sams as well as Cefos have agreed to join us. What about the rest of you? Shall you journey with us?"

Jael_Darkwood
2008-02-27, 01:49 AM
Aaron

"If diplomacy will bring our goal closer I have no objection." He pauses. "And should diplomacy fail, we will all be needed. Come, Bassanius." Bassanius finishes burying the last of the dead, and walks by Aaron's side.

Voth
2008-02-27, 01:59 AM
Val

Smiling at Aaron and Bassinius, Val seems to relax, if only a bit. "Thank you. If diplomacy fails, it is reassuring to know that you will be there." Turning to the remaining members, Val looks with apprehension.

Torger
2008-02-27, 06:45 AM
Xerxes

Disinterested in slaughtering cooperative slaves, Xerxes only nods and makes move to follow.

PlasticSoldier
2008-02-28, 06:04 PM
Sam

"Okay then. Elves, you can lead the way. "

Meloku
2008-02-28, 06:23 PM
Renar

Recovering his shortspears, and replacing his weaponry, Renar sticks with the group, taking up a position near the front.

warlock2000
2008-02-28, 06:31 PM
Dart

Standing back from the group, breathing after the short fight. Intently he listens to the conversation as he releases his spells. So the elves are the slaves fighting back, awkward situation this is. This fight didn't need to happen. What a waste, Dart thinks to himself. He follows the group to see the elven druid, as well as trying to decide what the next step is.

Dart turns to the group, "So why did each of you become part of the Paladin King's knights?"

Meloku
2008-02-28, 06:37 PM
Renar

"Pfft. Knight? More like useful tool, at this point. Why am I here? Well, I couldn't very well stay and drink and laze about when the rest of you were out discovering the world, now could I?"

Voth
2008-02-28, 06:55 PM
Val

Val seems to stay silent, which is odd considering his talkative nature. Seeming to shy away from any questions about his past, Val turns to speak to the elves. "So, might I inquire your names?"

The_JJ
2008-02-28, 07:09 PM
Cefos
*shrugs* My master was Palidine's preist. I guess I'm Palidine's priest now. I'm here to help heal. Speaking of... if this is going to come to a fight it might be better if I can gwt wnought time in to pray for new spells.

Jay Emby
2008-02-28, 08:03 PM
The charmed elf replies, "My name is Aramir. I am told that I am named for a ancient king, but seeing as that is ancient history, it is most meaningless. This string fellow is named Thure. This is Zekiale, and this little guy is Junio. None of them, I fear have as illustrious a name as mine." He smiles. "Nor does our druidic saviour, Menelauth. Oh, there is the demon's cave," he says pointing up the cliffside. "Just downriver a little more you'll find Menelauth. How do you want us to proceed? Shall I go ahead and talk to him first, or perhaps Zekiale should go, he's much better with words than me, and Menelauth likes him more. Or have you other ideas?"

Voth
2008-02-28, 08:17 PM
Val

Sense Motive Check:[roll0]

Jay Emby
2008-02-28, 08:22 PM
Aramir is being completely forthright.