PDA

View Full Version : Multisetting Madness!

Lupy
2008-01-30, 09:46 PM
I recently heard tell that at my local gaming store (where they play every game under the sun) the owner (who GMs everything) had a campaign where the Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms parties were teleported into Eberron by a miscast spell in all three. Then the groupps used elements from all 3 to save Eberron... I loved the idea and wanted ideas on how you would run such a game. :smalltongue:

zerombr
2008-01-30, 11:32 PM
sorry that this post isn't going to answer your question truly, aside that IMO it'd take one of two things
1) An elaborate and overly complicated system of magic that only the GM understands cuz he made it
2) Every mage doing their thing just as always, but unable to learn any other type of mage style without taking a lvl1 class in it

I write mainly to note that once I was misfortunate enough to play in a Rifts game that was multiset in Rifts, Robotech, a home brewed world, and Star Trek simultaneously... >< I still have nightmares

Souju
2008-01-30, 11:36 PM
i'd be curious how the dragonlance heroes managed to do much of anything, since they need the presence of their gods to do almost ANYTHING related to magic.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-01-30, 11:39 PM
ECS rules by default and any Dragonlance or FRCS magic, mechanics (Gods, Feats, PRCs....) you feel like playing with. It could be interesting for a non Eberron native to gain a Dragon Mark (Aberrant or True) since it would gain them Dragon House membership.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-01-31, 01:14 AM
But how would they get the Mark? They're semi-genetic, or at least the potential to bear a mark is. It's conceivable that an Aberrant Mark could pop up due to some weird interaction with Eberron's local magic...but that gets you watched for signs of lunacy or megalomania, not membership in a House.

Also, I'd run it like this (http://www.sigilprep.com/). More specifically, everything still works as normal, since there's obviously some kind of connection between the worlds that might let people access the Weave/foreign gods, if the characters got there in the first place. For the sake of fun, everything works without real penalty. Except Cheater of Mystra.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-01-31, 01:30 AM
But how would they get the Mark? They're semi-genetic, or at least the potential to bear a mark is. It's conceivable that an Aberrant Mark could pop up due to some weird interaction with Eberron's local magic...but that gets you watched for signs of lunacy or megalomania, not membership in a House.

One or more PCs could be slightly changed getting transported to ECS and incorporated into the Dragon Prophecy or one of the PCs ancestors could have been a plane traveller from ECS.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-01-31, 01:32 AM
The second one, I like (I mean, if we're introducing inter-setting travel to Eberron at all, why not go all the way?)

Rad
2008-01-31, 03:25 AM
That strictly depends on the kind of game you are running. My Dragonlance party would scream endlesly at that to the point of quitting the game (they would not object to play in Eberron, but going around with your solamnic knight sounds pointless, plus the DL continuity has precedent for the gods not being there and that resulted in the magic vanishing, so justifying it fluff-wise is just not doable in a smooth way.
If you want to force things just for the sake of inter-setting adventures (I would ask what is the point of cross-setting if you don't want to abide by the setting's rules, but that's digressing) then anything would do. People who actually like cross-setting adventures usually are OK with whatever allows them to use all their abilities, so that would be the way to go. Invoke some kind of uber-kinship of the universes (maybe with a fancy name like metaconnection and homebrew a couple of PrC's for people dedicated to explore it) and play along.
I'm not familiar enough with the fluff for the weave to say how reasonable it would be to have a Realms character go along without it, but I'm pretty sure that people will divide among those who would not stand any variation and those who would just say "whatever".

All in all, the only advice I'd give would be never to do that without discussing it with your players before.

Lupy
2008-01-31, 05:48 PM
I would ask my players OOC before doing anything that big... But in SWRPG, short of sending them too... Star Trek? Where could they go?

Theli
2008-01-31, 06:04 PM
Curious...why would Eberron need saving?

It's done just fine for over a million years. :p

CASTLEMIKE
2008-02-01, 12:24 AM
Sounds like 4E D&D not setting specific.

horseboy
2008-02-01, 12:38 AM
Bah, if he's "GMing everything under the sun" odds are pretty good he's familiar with Spelljammer and is going to use that as his basis for continuity. It's probably something he made up.

Burley
2008-02-01, 12:39 PM
Well, IMO, this would be super fun. Lots of different personalities and the opportunity role-play a character that doesn't know a thing. I think it'd be a lot more exciting.
Plus, if your characters all end up in Eberron and you're worried about not being able to contact your gods for whatever reason...You've got Artificers, yeah? The GM could just throw in some high-level NPC who became aware of the planar screwage and went to help, took them back to his home and explained his theory of the happenings over Eberstew and Eberbread. He then creates some magic device that allows the castors to ask their gods for their spells or whatever effects...since...y'know, it's magic and it could do that if you want it to. The, the Artificer dies...I dunno...swallows his pipe or something.