PDA

View Full Version : Dominatrix [PrC]

Ascension
2008-01-30, 09:55 PM
I'll apologize in advance for this class. It all started when I was thinking about that feat... I think it's in Complete Adventurer... that lets you use a whip as a grappling hook, Indiana Jones-style, and I was thinking about what a shame it was that no class (that I know of) allows you to use a whip as an effective weapon.

One thing led to another, and soon I was cooking up this prestige class. I can only beg the women of the forums not to kill me.

Dominatrix

Hit Die: d8.

Requirements

To qualify to become a dominatrix, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
Skills: Intimidate 8 ranks, Use Rope 8 ranks
Feats: Weapon Focus (Whip)
Special: Female

Class Skills
The dominatrix's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Cha), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex)
Skill Points at Each Level: 6+ Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the dominatrix prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Dominatrices have proficiency with spiked chains and light armor.
Lethal Lady (Ex): When making an attack with any weapon, a dominatrix may choose before any dice are rolled whether to deal lethal or nonlethal damage with that attack. A dominatrix takes no penalty for dealing nonlethal damage with lethal weapons or vice versa.
Whip Master (Ex): A dominatrix is skilled enough with a whip to find the weak spots of heavily armored foes. A dominatrix may deal full damage when using a whip to attack foes with armor and/or natural armor bonuses. A dominatrix also threatens the squares she can reach with her whip and does not provoke attacks of opportunity for making an attack with it.
Intimidating Strike (Ex): Dominatrices capitalize on their victims' fear. The first attack made by a dominatrix in any turn against an intimidated, helpless, or prone opponent deals an extra +1d8 damage. This bonus rises by +1d8 every two levels. A dominatrix may only use this ability when attacking with a whip.
Domination (Su): Once per day, a dominatrix of 2nd level or higher may designate a whip attack a domination attack. If the attack deals damage to the target, the victim must make a DC 10+dominatrix level+Cha will save. If the victim fails, she falls prey to the effects of a Dominate Person spell. Use the character's dominatrix level as the caster level for determining the duration of this effect. A dominatrix may use this ability twice per day at 6th level and three times per day at 10th level.
Skillful Tormentor (Ex): At 3rd level and higher a dominatrix may add her Knowledge (dungeoneering) ranks to her Intimidate checks in non-combat situations.
Intimidating Presence (Ex): At 4th level and higher a dominatrix may use Intimidate in combat as a swift action.
Frightening Display (Ex): At 8th level and higher a dominatrix may make an Intimidate check at a -4 penalty after successfully damaging a target with a whip attack to intimidate any opponents in her line of sight who may have witnessed the attack.
Bring the Pain (Ex): At 9th level and higher a dominatrix gains an extra attack for each attack she successfully lands during a full attack. The total number of attacks made cannot exceed the number of levels she has in dominatrix. A dominatrix may only use this ability when attacking with a whip.
Complete Domination (Su): At 10th level a dominatrix may use her Domination ability to inflict Dominate Monster on her opponent rather than Dominate Person.

Dominatrix
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Lethal Lady, Whip Master, Intimidating Strike +1d8

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Domination 1/day

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Intimidating Strike +2d8, Skillful Tormentor

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Intimidating Presence

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Intimidating Strike +3d8

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+5|Domination 2/day

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+5|Intimidating Strike +4d8

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+6|Frightening Display

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+6|Intimidating Strike +5d8, Bring the Pain

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+7|Dominate 3/day, Complete Domination[/table]

Tengu
2008-01-30, 10:05 PM
Whip Master (Ex): A dominatrix is skilled enough with a whip to damage even heavily armored foes. A dominatrix may deal full damage when using a whip to attack foes with armor or natural armor bonuses.

I don't understand how does this ability work.

Also, I do not like using too much emoticons, but my general comment about this class is:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

McFayne
2008-01-30, 10:13 PM
Whips don't generally do much to armored foes...also, the class is a D&D version of...um...well, google search it with the safe search off. I think it's a 'for fun' class, not necessarily a 'use it often or ever in a campaign' class. Either way, I thought it was interesting enough.

Ascension
2008-01-30, 10:16 PM
Oh, it's definitely not a serious prestige class. I wasn't really sure how to word Whip Master, but I was trying to get around this line of the RAW: "It deals no damage to any creature with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher." I also meant to put something in there to allow dominatrices to threaten with a whip (which you can't do in the RAW). I'll have to edit that.

I am seriously a little miffed that whips are completely useless as weapons in D&D. The sap is more useful...

Alfryd
2008-01-30, 10:27 PM
Heh.

I'm afraid that Skillful Tormentor and Bring the Pain may be a little overpowered. Otherwise good.

Ascension
2008-01-30, 11:19 PM
Keep in mind with Bring the Pain that Intimidating Strike only applies to the first attack, and the base damage for a whip is 1d3. 10 whip attacks still don't represent all that much damage, even with a seriously magical whip.

Oh, crap, I forgot to say that it can only be used with a whip... You're right, it is overpowered as written. Let me edit that. This may be a silly class, but I still don't want it to be overpowered.

Souju
2008-01-30, 11:43 PM
Female Drow Clerics from the Forgotten Realms setting utilize whips frequently...i think they're supposed to give off the dominatrix vibe lol

Fizban
2008-01-30, 11:49 PM
The whip dagger can deal normal damage without the armor rule thingy, though I'm not sure what the most recent book it was in is. At any rate, it's just a whip that doesn't have that annoying rule. Lolz.

What about the Lasher PrC from Song and Silence (I think). I don't remember exactly what it did, but it was basically Indiana Jones in a can, grappling hooking/stuff grabbing/etc. The book also had the whip dagger, and suggested that a Lasher would carry one of each, so he could use the non-lethal one to grab objects without damaging them. (This was back when the whip was a projectile weapon, so they also made mighty whips. You can just ignore those.)

Alfryd
2008-01-31, 08:40 AM
Oh, crap, I forgot to say that it can only be used with a whip... You're right, it is overpowered as written. Let me edit that. This may be a silly class, but I still don't want it to be overpowered.
One other question- exactly how often does Intimidating Presence allow you to make Intimidate checks? IIRC, free actions can (theoretically) be spammed indefinitely.

Mr.Bookworm
2008-01-31, 08:50 AM
One other question- exactly how often does Intimidating Presence allow you to make Intimidate checks? IIRC, free actions can (theoretically) be spammed indefinitely.

Maybe you could make it a swift action?

EDIT:

And I can't decide whether I love or hate this class.

Good job, either way.

Serrae
2008-01-31, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure whats more worrying, that you made this class, that you did quite a good job of making this class, or that I could quite easily dip into it with my favourite bard build, well if it weren't for needing 8 ranks in two crossclass skills, I often take use rope, but not often intimidate, so maybe not easily, but I still could do it.

Good job, whichever way.

Dryad
2008-01-31, 12:21 PM
Me like!:biggrin:

There's little I can say against it. She's cool, she's... *blush*

Can we get a male version, too? :smallredface:

Ascension
2008-01-31, 12:22 PM
Maybe you could make it a swift action?

Oh, right. I guess I should have read through all the abilities one more time before I posted this. That's another mistake. I'll make it a swift action. Still accomplishes the intended effect, but doesn't allow you just to keep rolling... and rolling... and rolling until you succeed.

About the prerequisites, I realize they're a little difficult to achieve with the standard classes... The bards have the whip proficiency but not the skills, the rogues have the skills but not the whip proficiency... My original intent was to tailor it so that bards could enter the class more easily, but intimidate was necessary for the chief dominatrix game mechanics, and use rope was necessary for the proper flavor... so it ended up like this. A rogue/bard or rogue/fighter build could enter it fairly easily, though.

A scout/barbarian/dominatrix build would be potentially frightening. Intimidate is one of the skills you can use while raging, use rope is a scout class skill, both scout and barbarian would give you fast movement bonuses, skirmish would potentially stack with intimidating strike for even greater bonus damage, and the whip's reach would allow you to freely move without provoking AOOs... well, at least as long as you could maintain that distance... Now I'm picturing a raging, skirmishing dominatrix moving 50 ft every turn while whipping everything in her path into submission...

You'd have to waste a feat on whip proficiency, though. :smallmad:

Oh, and I thank all of you for all the responses. While I was mostly just having a bit of fun with this, I wanted to make it as balanced as I could just for practice in case I homebrew a more serious prestige class in the near future. It sounds like I did a reasonably good job.

Ascension
2008-01-31, 01:04 PM
The people have spoken! Err... at least one of them has.

Can we get a male version, too? :smallredface:

I want to give this one a slightly different feel, so it isn't just a flat out copy of the female class.

What does that mean? Spiked chain focus rather than whip focus!

The spiked chain is, of course, a much more powerful weapon than the whip, so a few things will have to be adjusted to keep this from being too powerful.

Master

Hit Die: d8.

Requirements

To qualify to become a master, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
Skills: Intimidate 8 ranks, Knowledge (dungeoneering) 2 ranks, Use Rope 8 ranks
Feats: Persuasive, Weapon Focus (Spiked Chain)
Special: Male

Class Skills
The Master's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Cha), Sleight of Hand (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex)
Skill Points at Each Level: 4+ Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the dominatrix prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Masters gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.
Intimidating Strike (Ex): Masters capitalize on their victims' fear. The first attack made by a master in any turn against an intimidated, helpless, or prone opponent deals an extra +1d6 damage. This bonus rises by +1d6 every two levels. A master may only use this ability when attacking with a spiked chain.
Domination (Su): Once per day, a master of 2nd level or higher may designate a spiked chain attack a domination attack. If the attack deals damage to the target, the victim must make a DC 10+master level+Cha will save. If the victim fails, he falls prey to the effects of a Dominate Person spell. Use the character's master level as the caster level for determining the duration of this effect. A master may use this ability twice per day at 6th level and three times per day at 10th level.
Skillful Tormentor (Ex): At 3rd level and higher a master may add his Knowledge (dungeoneering) ranks to his Intimidate checks in non-combat situations.
Intimidating Presence (Ex): At 4th level and higher a master may use Intimidate in combat as a swift action at a -4 penalty. At 7th level this penalty is reduced to -2. At 10th level this penalty is eliminated.
Frightening Display (Ex): At 8th level and higher a master may make an Intimidate check at a -4 penalty after successfully damaging a target with a whip attack to intimidate any opponents in his line of sight who may have witnessed the attack.
Master of Pain: At 9th level a master gains the Weapon Specialization (spiked chain) feat. If the master already has this feat, he gains instead the Greater Weapon Specialization (spiked chain) feat, regardless of whether or not he meets all the prerequisites.
Complete Domination (Su): At 10th level a master may use his Domination ability to inflict Dominate Monster on his opponent rather than Dominate Person.

Dominatrix
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+2|Intimidating Strike +1d6

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+0|
+3|Domination 1/day

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+3|Intimidating Strike +2d6, Skillful Tormentor

4th|
+4|
+1|
+1|
+4|Intimidating Presence -4

5th|
+5|
+1|
+1|
+4|Intimidating Strike +3d6

6th|
+6|
+2|
+2|
+5|Domination 2/day

7th|
+7|
+2|
+2|
+5|Intimidating Strike +4d6, Intimidating Presence -2

8th|
+8|
+2|
+2|
+6|Frightening Display

9th|
+9|
+3|
+3|
+6|Intimidating Strike +5d6, Master of Pain

10th|
+10|
+3|
+3|
+7|Dominate 3/day, Intimidating Presence -0, Complete Domination[/table]

I may come back and edit this later to make the special abilities more unique.

Roderick_BR
2008-01-31, 02:02 PM
The whip dagger can deal normal damage without the armor rule thingy, though I'm not sure what the most recent book it was in is. At any rate, it's just a whip that doesn't have that annoying rule. Lolz.

What about the Lasher PrC from Song and Silence (I think). I don't remember exactly what it did, but it was basically Indiana Jones in a can, grappling hooking/stuff grabbing/etc. The book also had the whip dagger, and suggested that a Lasher would carry one of each, so he could use the non-lethal one to grab objects without damaging them. (This was back when the whip was a projectile weapon, so they also made mighty whips. You can just ignore those.)
It's from Sword & First, where the whip-dagger was introduced, and it was more a Belmont (Castlevania) kind of class.

mikeejimbo
2008-01-31, 03:22 PM
I actually considered making this class. Pretty much, you had similar ideas to me. Kudos!

SurlySeraph
2008-02-01, 01:25 AM
Technically, the "Whip Master" ability should be "Whip Mistress."

Other than that, there's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said.

bibliophile
2008-03-14, 08:00 PM
Is non good the required alignment?

Paragon Badger
2008-03-14, 08:09 PM
*resists the temptation to create a Prc that gains bonuses for being injured...* :smallbiggrin:

"Oh, It hurts so good!"

Triaxx
2008-03-14, 08:36 PM
Excellent. This makes statting out a certain Erfworlder much easier. Necromancer 10/Dominatrix 10. :smallwink: :smallbiggrin:

JoshuaZ
2008-03-14, 09:57 PM
This seems pretty good. There was a forgotten realms specific dominatrix made a while back that fluff-wise rested on certain female clerics of I don't remember which deity finding that their taste for pain extended also to certain people in Waterdeep. I can't find it from a quick google search unfortunately. I don't know if it is still online. If I remember what deity they worshipped it might be easier to locate.

jagadaishio
2008-03-14, 10:25 PM
Is non good the required alignment?

I would say that lawful would be a required alignment. Being evil isn't required of a dominatrix, but bending others to your will is.

JoshuaZ
2008-03-14, 11:52 PM
Also, there was an alternate class feature I think for the swashbuckler that gave them gather information bonuses by being er... charming with the right people. It was on wizards.com a while ago, but they've reorganized their entire website and I can't find it now (wow, I suck at this whole searching the internet thing). It might make sense to add some ability similar to that.

I'd also suggest the following additions that 2nd level:
Whip Stun A dominatrix may after having chosen to deal non-lethal damage with Lethal Lady when attacking with a whip choose to reduce the damage to 1 non-lethal damage and the target must make a fortitude save equal to the damage that would have been dealt or be dazed for one round. The dominatrix must choose to use this ability before her attack damage is rolled.

Debilitating Pain Whenever a target is forced to make a concentration check due to an attack from a dominatrix wielding a whip, treat the damage as doubled for purposes of making a concentration check.

Gained at level 4:
Binding Expertise
A dominatrix becomes especially skillful with using to tie people. She gains a bonus to her use rope checks equal to her class level when tying people. She also may forgo this bonus to instead use especially painful knots. If she uses such knots, whenever the tied individual fails an attempt to escape the knots, they receive 1 non-lethal damage.

I'd add to whip master (of course the masters should generally be changed to mistress throughout) that they also get a +2 bonus to grapple checks when wielding a whip.

I would also add the following domination ability in addition to the supernatural form, to allow for more conventional domination (it needs a better name to distinguish the supernatural form from this form. Maybe call that one Sudden Domination).

Domination A dominatrix may attempt to dominate an individual that would be a legal target of a dominate person spell. The individual must be either awake and helpless. In either case, if she spends 8 hours with the target attempting to dominate the person. If uninterrupted, at the end of the hour the target makes a will save with a DC 10+dominatrix level+Cha + number of previous times that that they have been dominated by that dominatrix in the last month - the number of times that they have resisted her domination in the past month (these last two modifiers count either form of domination).

If the target fails the will save, he becomes targeted by an effect that is equivalent to that of the dominate person spell. However, this effect is an extraordinairy effect, not a spell.

At 3rd level, the dominatrix needs only 4 hour to attempt to dominate the individual, and at level 6 only a half hour. At 10th level, she can use this effect on any target that would be a valid target of a dominate monster spell.

Also, if I may, here are some possible feats:

Hurting Others Thrills Me
Prerequisites: Lethal Lady class ability.
Benefit: You gain the benefits of the cleave feat when wielding a whip. If you already have cleave, you gain the benefits of great cleave. Additionally, whenever you knock a creature unconscious using Lethal Lady you get a +2 morale bonus to your strength and dexterity scores until the end of the your next turn.

Psionic Dominatrix [Psionic]
A dominatrix has learned to channel her psionic power to reach directly into her opponents minds to more effectively dominate them and break their will.
Prerequisites: Sudden Domination, Psionic Weapon
Benefit: You gain two benefits from this feat. First, whenever you have psionic focus the will save for your Sudden Domination ability is treated as 1 higher. You may optionally expend psionic focus to instead increase the will save by 2. Also, when using the psionic weapon feat with a whip you do an additional 1 damage or the target must make a will save equal to half damage dealt or lose psionic focus (choose which when you expend focus).

Understand Pain
Your repeated infliction of pain on others has lead you to understand and deal with your own pain better.
Prerequisites: Skillful Tormentor
Benefit: Whenever you take non-lethal damage, reduce by 1 the total damage received to a minimum of 1. You heal non-lethal damage at a rate of 1 point an hour (this is in addition to any other form of healing you have). You also have a 50% of stabilizing when at less than 0 hitpoints.

And a reserve feat (I may have the wording for reserve feats slightly wrong).
[B]Vampiric Pleasure[B]
Prerequisites: Able to cast Vampiric Touch, Lethal Lady class ability.
Benefit: Whenever you are able to cast Vampiric Touch, for any attack you may with a whip you gain 1/3rd of the damage dealt in temporary hit points, to a maxmimum of your class level in dominatrix + your charisma modifier.

This next one is in regards to Triaxx's comment. It may need a better name but for now:
Wanda's Tutelage
Prerequisites: Able to cast at least three necromancy spells, at least one of which is 3rd level. Able to cast at least one enchantment spell with the mind-affecting descriptor. Whip Mistress class ability.
Benefit: Pick a specific necromancy spell or an enchantment spell with the mind-affecting descriptor you can cast. When you are wielding a whip this has 4) effects:
1)The spell has no somatic component
2) You are treated as having eschew material components for that spell.
3) Your caster level for that spell is increased by 1.
4) If that spell would require a touch attack to deliver you can instead choose to deliver through an attack with your whip.

This next feat needs a name as well:
NAME NEEDED
Your study of how to break the will of others has given you an exceptionally strong will.
Prerequisites: Iron Will feat, Domination
Benefit: You gain an additional +1 bonus on all will saves which is a +2 bonus against any form of mind-affecting controlling affect. (this stacks with the benefit from Iron Will and Epic Will)

Whip Trip
Prerequisites: Combat Expertise, Improved Trip
Benefit: You may substitute your dexterity score for your strength score when making a trip as long as you are wielding a whip.

Leather Bound
Prerequisites: Lethal Lady, Skill Focus(Intimidate)
Benefit: You have no arcane spell failure while wearing leather armor and gain a +2 bonus to your intimidate checks while wearing leather armor against anyone without this feat.

Partysan
2009-01-13, 01:37 PM
I don't understand why vanillas always picture BDSM as Femdom only. There are plenty of Dominators as well. And they can certainly use whips, if they want to.
Maybe the media are to blame, but I can assure you I will not shapechange into a woman if I feel the urge to whip my girlfriend into shape (though she probably wouldn't mind if I did... true neutral, you know).
(And now please don't anyone start a debate about violence. It isn't. Ask her.)

To Topic: I think there is a dominator prestige class in BoEF, and some submissive stuff as well.

Triaxx
2009-01-13, 10:16 PM
Because women in leather are hot, and guys in leather tend towards creepy.

newbDM
2009-01-13, 10:54 PM

Yeah. What he said.

On a related note, my groups have gotten some immature laughs out of these official D&D miniatures:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/un_gallery/Torturer.jpg

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/underdark_gallery/Half_Orc_Executioner.jpg

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/NB_Gallery/Aspect_of_Loviatar.jpg

Anyway, can I please steal this class OP? I got linked here from a thread I currently have on the general board, and it would be useful for my drow priestess.

Athaniar
2009-01-14, 12:17 PM
*resists the temptation to create a Prc that gains bonuses for being injured...* :smallbiggrin:

"Oh, It hurts so good!"

Sounds like something relating to FR's Ilmater.

FMArthur
2009-01-14, 12:59 PM
I can't see any reason whatsoever to split this class into female/male versions. One can be called a dominatrix, and the other a dominator. Aside from that they should be identical.

And I know you came up with it as a joke, but it's a good class that does make the whip more viable; you could use one in a serious campaign without issue.

newbDM
2009-01-14, 01:15 PM
I can't see any reason whatsoever to split this class into female/male versions. One can be called a dominatrix, and the other a dominator. Aside from that they should be identical.

And I know you came up with it as a joke, but it's a good class that does make the whip more viable; you could use one in a serious campaign without issue.

Well, I always figured that the way male and female "doms" go about it is way different.

Men are the cliche brutes/dominaters, while women still take a somewhat more feminine and charming way about it. Both are still brutal and vicious, but slightly different themes I guess.

Maybe a good comparison would be a drow priestess vs. the traditional male torturer/executioner?

FMArthur
2009-01-14, 06:55 PM
That's fine, and your overall character build can reflect the style of your choice. But there just plain isn't any reason for these class abilities to not work for men, too. 'Men don't look as good with whips' is just not a reasonable excuse for making a game rule. :smallconfused:

Triaxx
2009-01-14, 07:28 PM
Not really, women tend to be to more aggressive, mean ones. Not that men can't be but... *cough*

No reason, it's just that the name of the class is female specific. A guy that wants to be a Dominatrix is... a whole other discussion. There's no other reason for it.

FMArthur
2009-01-14, 11:16 PM
Dominatrix happens to have a counterpart in Dominator. It's as silly as distinguishing between Sorceress and Sorceror.

Ascension
2009-01-14, 11:46 PM
Two notes:

First, I apologize for being biased by gender. If you want to allow male entry into the whip version or female entry into the chain version, I certainly won't mind.

Second, I made this class shortly after I learned D&D 3.5, and since then I've realized that Alfryd was right... Bring the Pain is probably too powerful. And Skillful Tormentor should give a smaller bonus, or else you'll never fail an Intimidate check out of combat again. Thankfully, though, there's not an Epic usage for Intimidate. Employ the Dominatrix at your own peril.

If you can get a DM to approve it, though, I certainly don't mind anyone using it.*

* I would be interested, though, in hearing how it goes over with your group. My gut instinct is that the average D&D party would be somewhat... disrupted by a dominatrix in their midst...**

** Also, if, while playing, you find any amusing uses for items, feel free to share the stories. I imagine the mundane item list alone would become a veritable arsenal in the hands of the Dominatrix.

Kroy
2009-01-14, 11:56 PM
I'll apologize in advance for this class. It all started when I was thinking about that feat... I think it's in Complete Adventurer... that lets you use a whip as a grappling hook, Indiana Jones-style, and I was thinking about what a shame it was that no class (that I know of) allows you to use a whip as an effective weapon.

One thing led to another, and soon I was cooking up this prestige class.

Does this train of thought have anything to do with Chester A. Bum (If you get the reference, then probably yes.)

Ascension
2009-01-14, 11:59 PM
Actually no, it did not. I take it from a quick Google search that he reviews movies, though. Did he make some sort of Indiana Jones -> Dominatrix connection?

Kroy
2009-01-15, 12:04 AM
Ya. I'll try to find the video...

Edit: Here it is: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/bum-reviews/237-indiana-jones-and-the-kingdom-of-the-crystal-skull

Ascension
2009-01-15, 12:41 AM
Check the date on the OP. I beat Crystal Skull by several months.

That being said, this is amusing.

Asbestos
2009-01-15, 12:57 AM
Also, there was an alternate class feature I think for the swashbuckler that gave them gather information bonuses by being er... charming with the right people. It was on wizards.com a while ago, but they've reorganized their entire website and I can't find it now (wow, I suck at this whole searching the internet thing). It might make sense to add some ability similar to that.

I recalled this as well, so I went a searchin'

Its in this article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x) on dead levels. You'll need to scroll down a bit to get to the Swashbuckler, but it basically lets them interrogate people with a bluff check.

newbDM
2009-01-15, 02:09 AM
* I would be interested, though, in hearing how it goes over with your group. My gut instinct is that the average D&D party would be somewhat... disrupted by a dominatrix in their midst...**

** Also, if, while playing, you find any amusing uses for items, feel free to share the stories. I imagine the mundane item list alone would become a veritable arsenal in the hands of the Dominatrix.

Did you mean me Ascension?

If so, I was not really planning for it as a PC class. I am planning on making it a PrC only available to drow priestesses, and was planning on adding the ability to essentially get these guys:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101724

as thralls. I am thinking a slightly modified version of the Leadership feat, or perhaps add the feature from the Thrallherd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/thrallherd.htm).

I guess I could allow it, but I would only do so if I had a female player in the group. Otherwise, it would just seem sad on a real pathetic level, and kinda weird/creepy.

Ascension
2009-01-15, 02:19 AM
Did you mean me Ascension?

Well, yes, I did. I don't mind how you want to use it, though. And I'd still be interested in the PCs' reaction to going up against dominatrices.

thegurullamen
2009-01-15, 04:47 AM
And I'd still be interested in the PCs' reaction to going up against dominatrices.

Now there's a quote.

Good luck keeping your players in line when they realize they're fighting a person who's stylized their fighting and villain skills around a taboo sexual identity. I can imagine reactions running from Diamonds Are Forever-levels of "caricature" and joking to downright disturbing moments of roleplaying. D&D + sex can be just plain wrong.

Luean
2009-01-15, 12:38 PM
I'm sorry, if this was posted already, but wasn't there a Dominatix class in 3.0?
Was confused at first, when i saw this thread ^^

Ascension
2009-01-15, 12:55 PM
I wouldn't know. I've had very little exposure to 3.0 material.

Tycho2
2009-01-15, 01:45 PM
If im honest, i think its pretty lame and unrealistic. I mean this opens the doors for all kind of things. Manga catwomen anyone? :smalleek:

Morph Bark
2009-01-15, 02:40 PM
Good luck keeping your players in line when they realize they're fighting a person who's stylized their fighting and villain skills around a taboo sexual identity. I can imagine reactions running from Diamonds Are Forever-levels of "caricature" and joking to downright disturbing moments of roleplaying. D&D + sex can be just plain wrong.

Then just don't present a villain that way. Not every villainnous woman in leather with a whip as their signature weapon has to be portrayed as a downright stereotypical sexualized femme fatale.

That being said, though, I have to back up the earlier statement that Lolthian clerics are more likely than anyone to take levels in this PrC for flavour reasons. :smalltongue:

Ascension
2009-01-15, 02:44 PM
If im honest, i think its pretty lame and unrealistic. I mean this opens the doors for all kind of things. Manga catwomen anyone? :smalleek:

You're talking about the prestige class itself? What could I do to make it not lame, in your eyes?

Tycho2
2009-01-15, 03:34 PM
Im talking about the idea of a 'dominatrix' class yeah. I dont know if you intended for it to be this way, but the entire class just seems way to fanboyish and.. unreal? (and i have nothing against bdsm, i just dont think its needed as a class in d&d :smallbiggrin: ) A class based of the whip is fine, but theres no need for the connotations which come with this. :smallwink:

Rename her as (slaver?) or hell, even pain-mistress or something. Dominatrix is just too blatant and fanboyish imo.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-15, 04:50 PM
Im talking about the idea of a 'dominatrix' class yeah. I dont know if you intended for it to be this way, but the entire class just seems way to fanboyish and.. unreal? (and i have nothing against bdsm, i just dont think its needed as a class in d&d :smallbiggrin: ) A class based of the whip is fine, but theres no need for the connotations which come with this. :smallwink:

Rename her as (slaver?) or hell, even pain-mistress or something. Dominatrix is just too blatant and fanboyish imo.

Bah, it may not fit with everyone's flavor or setting (heck, I have LE dark elves in my world and I prolly won't be using this class), but I think it is very well done and not a bad idea at all. Yes, the name may have some fanboy-ish connotations, but the execution of it is solid. Many of the abilities take the concept in an interesting direction. The flavor of the crunch is far more power, combat, and force of personality oriented than it is sexual fantasy or "fanboy" oriented. Heck, maybe calling it "dominatrix" is a little misleading, but frankly it seems good enough a label for me.

I'd also like to point out nicely that your previous post, just calling the class lame, without any constructive points, is not particularly productive. Ascension was very polite in his response, but some people will be slightly less patient.

Tycho2
2009-01-15, 05:04 PM
Bah, it may not fit with everyone's flavor or setting (heck, I have LE dark elves in my world and I prolly won't be using this class), but I think it is very well done and not a bad idea at all. Yes, the name may have some fanboy-ish connotations, but the execution of it is solid. Many of the abilities take the concept in an interesting direction. The flavor of the crunch is far more power, combat, and force of personality oriented than it is sexual fantasy or "fanboy" oriented. Heck, maybe calling it "dominatrix" is a little misleading, but frankly it seems good enough a label for me.

I'd also like to point out nicely that your previous post, just calling the class lame, without any constructive points, is not particularly productive. Ascension was very polite in his response, but some people will be slightly less patient.

Your right, that did look a bit rude. I didnt mean it to be, i just guess i can be a bit insensitive sometimes, bad trait of mine. People are welcome to flame me. :smallamused:

Anyway i agree that the actual build and concept of the character is fine, and actually quite inventive, i just dont like the idea of my character wandering through a fantasy setting before coming across 'dominatrixes', which immediately gives of a modern vibe to me (how would you roleplay them btw?) and err.. facing the pain. :smallwink:

Im not prudish or anything, i find sex in d&d adds to things a lot, but i wouldnt like this. I couldnt take an enemy or class called dominatrix seriously. Curse my fussiness ^^

Kroy
2009-01-15, 06:35 PM
Check the date on the OP. I beat Crystal Skull by several months.

That being said, this is amusing.

Whoops thought it said 2009.... (I guess the fact that it said 30 should have been a give away).

Ascension
2009-01-15, 07:51 PM
Hmm. Thanks for the advice. As I said in the OP, this was more or less a joke class to begin with, so I wasn't really concerned about dominatrices fitting or not fitting into a D&D setting. And the actual crunch is, as you point out, more about making the whip a viable weapon... just with an added twist in an unconventional direction. Should I rework it to remove the BDSM flavor? Perhaps. I'll give it thought.

newbDM
2009-01-15, 11:41 PM
Hmm. Thanks for the advice. As I said in the OP, this was more or less a joke class to begin with, so I wasn't really concerned about dominatrices fitting or not fitting into a D&D setting. And the actual crunch is, as you point out, more about making the whip a viable weapon... just with an added twist in an unconventional direction. Should I rework it to remove the BDSM flavor? Perhaps. I'll give it thought.

Well, make a new post or something please. I like it just how it was! :smallbiggrin:

And the idea you messaged me about giving her the ability to boost Queenfange's Willing Thralls seems pretty good. How would you suggest going about it mechanically?

Also, would this make the two classes dependent on each other?

LurkerInPlayground
2009-01-17, 05:38 PM
Yeah, but you're only saying that because you're a heterosexual guy. Somebody somewhere, probably finds it kinky, and by extension, hot.

If you happen to be that person, and you are reading my post, please don't pipe up to prove my point.