PDA

View Full Version : Ontario, Canada Meet-up Interest?

Gem Flower
2008-01-31, 07:03 AM
I'm not actually in Ontario, but is anyone interested in a meet-up? If so, which city would you prefer? (Please don't say Toronto)

B-Man
2008-01-31, 10:36 AM
Where 'bouts were you thinking? I know that there are quite a number of playgrounders that are in and around the GTA (myself included). If not Toronto, how 'bouts Niagara? :smallwink: I know a lot of places in the Niagara Region (having grown up there).

Rare Pink Leech
2008-01-31, 10:52 AM
Yeah, do you have anywhere more specific in mind? Ontario's a biiig place. If you say Thunder Bay, for instance, there (probably) won't be many Playgrounders close by, and even fewer who can easily get there. Making it in Ottawa would get more people, and Toronto even more people due to the sheer number of us (the Greater Toronto Area is nearly half the population of Ontario).

I'm in Toronto, and I'd be interested if there's a meetup in the Toronto area. If there is a meetup elsewhere, the farther from the Toronto area it is, the less likely I'll be able to make it. Niagara's a pretty good choice, though, since the area is damn nice. A bonus to having a meetup in Toronto/Niagara is that it's close to any Playgrounders in Western New York who want to come.

phoenixineohp
2008-01-31, 11:01 AM
I'm in the GTA and out lying area. Always interested in a meet up. I could probably do Niagara, and I like how close to the states it is for anyone down there who wants to make the trip.

Ego Slayer
2008-01-31, 12:02 PM
For how much I really, really want to do a Canadia meet up, it all depends on whether Sam would be able to drive there... which I get the feeling is slightly unlikely. :smallsigh:

ZombieRockStar
2008-01-31, 01:43 PM
Huzzah! But...why not Toronto? Do you not like us? :smallfrown: *cries*

Okay...done now. But it depends where, really. I live either in Toronto or Guelph, depending, but I can't host people either way.

de-trick
2008-01-31, 01:56 PM
I support the idea of a Canadian meet up but, could not attend, I have no license so I'm pretty much stuck in Dauphin,MB

Frojoe21
2008-01-31, 02:28 PM
[Disengage lurk mode]

Ooh! Canadian meetup? Sounds cool. T'would be a bit of a schlep from Calgary, but I'd be stoked to go. I would need more information such as when though.

[Re-engage lurk mode]

KindaChang
2008-01-31, 02:44 PM
Ontario you say?

It's not THAT big of a drive from Michigan... hmmmm....

would depend on when, though.

fireinthedust
2008-01-31, 03:06 PM
Toronto Toronto Toronto!~!!!!

First off, we have a first-rate subway system allowing gitp-ers to get together.

Second: I can't get anywhere else, as having such a good system has stunted my bothering with a driver's license.

I'm downtown. Any GTA-Gitp meetup wanna have an RP session? I've got a changing schedule, but if I have a weekend open I'm down with it.

Heck, if someone owns the OOTs board game, we could ahve a go at it!

GTA: where/when? I'm good for a weekend in February.

North
2008-01-31, 05:04 PM
Well I gots me the OOTS board game but I am on the other side of the Canadian Continent.

*Makes stretchy noises to try and reach Ontario from Alberta*

phoenixineohp
2008-01-31, 07:24 PM
*Pictures a little blue man reaching as far as he can, making stretchy noises*
Hehehe.

Reading week for me is the 18th on. That is the best time till... April I think.

The Extinguisher
2008-01-31, 07:37 PM
*Stretches with North.*

I'd love to be a apart of a Canadia meetup, but it'd have to be in the west. I suggest we split it up in someway. East and West. Cause it's a big country.

North
2008-01-31, 08:34 PM
We could meet in the middle. But that would be either Sask or Manitoba....

No one wants to go there. Not even Saskatobites!:smallbiggrin:

ZombieRockStar
2008-01-31, 08:39 PM
=P Winnipeg is an underrated city. I like it. It's nice.

First off, we have a first-rate subway system allowing gitp-ers to get together.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! *collapses in hideous laughter*

Okay, maybe downtown, but here in the north end of the city, the TTC is horribly under-serviced. Subways are okay, but the buses are hell.

The Extinguisher
2008-01-31, 08:56 PM
At least it's not as bad as Edmonton. We are not designed for public transport. Or bikes. Or walking. Or anything really.

Anyway, I would say Winnipeg if we did do it nationwide. It's a nice city, not as far travel for most people, and I know people there, so I wouldn't have to get a hotel :D

phoenixineohp
2008-02-01, 12:59 PM
But you have underground tunnels! Those are so cool you don't need the other things!

Yes, the tunnels under Toronto are the parts of Toronto I like the best. And I don't mean the subways. Even after the Matrix those freak me out. Or maybe it's because of the Matrix. Hmm.

Samiam303
2008-02-01, 01:11 PM
For how much I really, really want to do a Canadia meet up, it all depends on whether Sam would be able to drive there... which I get the feeling is slightly unlikely. :smallsigh:
Yeah, I don't think that's feasible. As much as I'd love to, I don't have a car, and although I don't doubt I could talk my parents into letting me attend a meet in Canada, I just don't think they're going to lend me their car for that amount of time. (Even if for no other reason than that they need the car, heh.)

Eldritch Knight
2008-02-01, 05:56 PM
What would probably be effective is if the Ontario Gitpers met up at Anime North, or possibly the Ex at the end of the summer.. At least, that's my thought.

North
2008-02-01, 07:31 PM
At least it's not as bad as Edmonton. We are not designed for public transport. Or bikes. Or walking. Or anything really.

Anyway, I would say Winnipeg if we did do it nationwide. It's a nice city, not as far travel for most people, and I know people there, so I wouldn't have to get a hotel :D

Or People. *Shivers*

Cant wait for the day that WEM just expands over the entire city into one glorious Mallcology.

Talya
2008-02-01, 07:52 PM
If any americans come up here, don't forget everyone needs passports to cross the border as of January 1st, 2008, thanks to good ol' DHS.

Aramil Liadon
2008-02-01, 09:28 PM
Ooh, Canada? I live up there!
But, there's no way I could come. So, I shall offer my generic spiritual support, and hang around to spy at the event. Should you see a guy in a blue cape at the bus stop, that's me.

fireinthedust
2008-02-01, 11:42 PM
Sounds good in general...

Torontonians: when is the next gaming convention? Is Orion still going? Do we have a TorCon or something? Anything?

Granted, the next comicon would also be good. What is this Anime North business?

ZombieRockStar
2008-02-02, 12:00 AM
Sounds good in general...

Torontonians: when is the next gaming convention? Is Orion still going? Do we have a TorCon or something? Anything?

Granted, the next comicon would also be good. What is this Anime North business?

http://www.hobbystar.com/fanexpo20081/

I went one year. Don't plan on it again because I'd rather go to GenCon and I don't want two big cons, one right after the other.

Gem Flower
2008-02-02, 04:20 PM
Not being able to drive a car, I can't get that far without carpooling, or possibly bussing, which would require a parent. Parents probably also wouldn't let me carpool. Whatever. Who knows how to set up a poll?

fireinthedust
2008-02-02, 05:41 PM
Okay, so we could all meet at the Fan Expo here (although if the only other person who'd want that isn't going because they want to go to GenCon, what's the point?)

HOWEVER I think I'd just want to meet for coffee and some form of stupid rpg/card-based game. Hmmm....

The weekend after Valentine's Day I'm off work. Anyone up for picking a Starbucks on the Subway line and going from there? I'd want a couple different folks, just for variety. If there's a table we could game at (ie: someone has a home, I don't) that's another option.

B-Man
2008-02-02, 05:47 PM
@^: I'd be up for a casual meet, but I hate (read: extremely prejudiced against) Starshmucks.

Not being able to drive a car, I can't get that far without carpooling, or possibly bussing, which would require a parent. Parents probably also wouldn't let me carpool. Whatever. Who knows how to set up a poll?

To set up a poll, you must sacrifice your soul to the mods. Mwaha! Even if a poll were created, you'd find a lot of support for Toronto due to sheer numbers. :smallfrown:

darkblade
2008-02-02, 11:12 PM
A meet up in Canada...Toronto even...I'm interested.

Gem Flower
2008-02-04, 03:51 PM
Aw, crap.:smallfrown: I have been forbidden by the parent gods to attend any meet-up, anywhere.:smallfrown:

B-Man
2008-02-04, 04:12 PM
Real sorry to hear that, Gem Flower. I understand how it is, seeing as I missed the Toronto meet-up last year because my parents didn't trust it. :smallsigh:

RandomNPC
2008-02-04, 04:33 PM
well, the later in the year it is (read weeks not months) the more likely that i can bring sha'uri and possibly the little one. being Ohio people, we may need to spend a bit-o-money (tm) to get there, but i thought the passport thing was pushed back to june/july 2009. this may only be on our side of things however.

anyway, as the ohio meetup in cleveland, count me in as a sturdy ready and willing maybe.

B-Man
2008-02-04, 04:40 PM
i thought the passport thing was pushed back to june/july 2009. this may only be on our side of things however.
You need a passport to enter the States effective 31 January 2008 (which has already gone into effect). I'm not 100% sure on the procedure for entering Canada, but it would be safe to bring your passport with you (seeing as the driver's licence + birth certificate alternative will be phased out for June-July of this year).

anyway, as the ohio meetup in cleveland, count me in as a sturdy ready and willing maybe. Huzzah!

fireinthedust
2008-02-15, 08:42 AM
I forgot about this thread! (*opens the thread-cronomicon*)

Toronto Meet: I'd like to meet up sometime around March or April. I can book off a weekend from work, then folks could meet in a Starbucks. Maybe the one across from Speaker's Corner/City TV? (anyone from out of town would want to see the building anyway, right?)

If we can have 4 people plus a GM, we could get decafinated-up and find a spot to jam with 3.5 before we all go broke over new books!