PDA

View Full Version : The World of Athema (IC)

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Sxoa
2008-03-25, 07:38 PM
Miyuki isn't slinking forward. She's staying behind as she only has a +2 modifier

TheMeanDM
2008-03-25, 08:48 PM
Ah, my bad! So sorry!

dyslexicfaser
2008-03-25, 09:55 PM
Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]
EDIT: Wuh-oh.

TheMeanDM
2008-03-26, 09:40 AM
Bresk practically disappears into the green of the grass, his scaly skin seeming to match perfect.

Edgar slinks through the grass, his back rising and falling above the tips of the grass as he sneaks down the hill and around the crest of the next.

As you each crest the hill, you see that the other side of the hill descends down into a green valley, the floor about seventy-five paces from your position.

The wagon tracks descend down the slope to the floor of the small valley.

In the side of the hill you are looking around, about ninety feet from where you are, the green grass of the hill is cut asunder by a rocky cave.

http://www.geocities.com/jason_miltenberger/caveentrance1.jpg

Outside the cave, you spot two sentries. They are lazily leaning against the rock of the cave wall, and do not seem to notice your presence at this distance. The smoke Bresk noted is coming from out of the mouth of the cave. Seems to be normal smoke, like from a camp fire.

In front of the cave you see a large wooden wagon. It is open-topped, like the one that the guardsmen were using. You count three large wooden barrels on the wagon, at the moment.

hide and move silently (1d20+2=21, 1d20+3=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1539549/)

dyslexicfaser
2008-03-26, 05:14 PM
Edgar

Edgar momentarily entertained thoughts of sneaking up and subduing the sentries, but quickly discarded them. He motioned to Bresk and wriggled his way back to the group on the other side of the hill, and explained the situation. The valley, the sentries, the wagon, the cave. He finished with,

"There's no way to tell how many are in the cave, but if I had to guess I would say it is a not an entire tribe: likely a small band. They shouldn't be expecting an attack so soon after slaying the guards. I suggest we fight. The grass should provide some cover, and it reaches almost to the front of the cave. We may be able to surprise the sentries and go from there."

Proven_Paradox
2008-03-26, 07:06 PM
Sage puts a hand to his chin and says, with the same hushed tone, "I'm not so sure they're not expecting us, really... Still, I concur that we should strike now. If nothing else, we can strike the sentries, and if the force coming out of the cave is too much for us, we can run. I've a spell to make me faster for just such an occasion."

fendrin
2008-03-26, 07:44 PM
Hekesh

"Well done. I wish we could be sure there isn't another way out of that cave. Still, if we can keep them compressed in there, Sage and I may be able to eliminate large groups of them quickly."

dyslexicfaser
2008-03-26, 10:47 PM
Edgar

"You know," Edgar said thoughtfully, "I wouldn't be surprised if that was the only entrance. Or at least, the only one currently open. Otherwise, wouldn't we see smoke coming from other areas in the hill?"

TheMeanDM
2008-03-27, 12:56 PM
Bresk nods in agreement. "No other sssmoke." he says. "Only from the big cave." he unlimbers his bow and readies an arrow. "If we attack, tell me when."

Sxoa
2008-03-27, 01:40 PM
Miyuki shoots a small grin at Edgar "Clever clever man! I had not thought of such things."

Stringing her bow and knocking an arrow to it she says "Well, no time like the present..."
Miyuki will try to move as slowly as she needs to up the hill till she is looking down on the sentries. Once there, she'll wait till her allies are position and then pelt one of the greenskins!

Initiative (for when we go to combat time):[roll0]

Proven_Paradox
2008-03-27, 07:18 PM
Sage lets out a nervous groan and says, "If we're to do this, let's get it over with... If anyone sees a group coming from the cave, let me know and I can web it up to keep them from swarming us. When the fighting starts, I'll grease the ground beneath one of them."

Initiative: (1d20+1=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1541419/)

Actions - if there's a surprise round and Sage can act during it, he will cast grease beneath the closer of the two guards, and trying to use the spell to block the cave entrance as well.

During the first actual round of combat, Sage will cast grease if there was no surprise round. If the surprise round happens, he will instead use a charge from his spellbow. Spellbow ranged touch attack/damage(Sonic): (1d20+3=12, 1d6=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1541422/)

If we see more orcs coming for us from the cave, he will cast Web instead.

The reflex save for Grease is 15, 16 for Web.

fendrin
2008-03-27, 08:02 PM
I'm not going to declare actions until I know Hekesh's place in the init order
[roll0]

Zimmia
2008-03-27, 08:52 PM
Paggan smiles grimly as she takes her bow and draws an arrow. "I know I can't get too close until they know we're here, but I've got something that's relatively quiet. Personally, I'd like to not kill any more than possible. We need to know who's behind this organized activity - and we also need to make sure that this particular band was responsible for the ambush on the wagon."

I'll do my best at a hide and MS, but Paggan will hang back as far as she can and still be within composite longbow range.
Hide
Move Silently [roll]1s20-5
Initiative: [roll]1d20+1

On another note, we're moved but there's only one computer online right now for the whole house - my posting may well be slow until we can resolve that

dyslexicfaser
2008-03-27, 10:55 PM
Edgar

"A good point, Paggan," Edgar says. "We need at least one for interrogation, preferrably more."

He spreads his empty hands. "I have no long-range weapon, so I will wait until the first volley and charge in."

Initiative: [roll0]

TheMeanDM
2008-03-28, 10:02 AM
{table=header]Player/NPC | Initiative
Edgar | 21
Paggan | 21
Sage | 16
Miyuki | 14
Bresk | 14
Hekesh | 8
[/table]

{table=header]bad guys | initiative
Orcs | something
Someone | something +5
[/table]

The group slowly crawls toward the hill, making sure to keep a low profile. Edgar crawls closer than the others, stil able to maintain his cover.

Surprise Round
Once she feels her range is adequate, Paggan rises up and unleashes her arrow. The shaft speeds straight and true, striking one of the guards in his chest. The arrow is lodged deep. He cries out in orcish, accented heavily with pain and surprise. "Some bastard shot me!"

(Edgar, you're up)

Bresk Initiative (1d20+3=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1542087/)

Rolling for Zimmia, as her initiative roll didn't work.

I think she'll like it ::smallsmile:
Paggan Initiative (1d20 1=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1542090/)

I think she'll also like her attack roll!
Paggan's attack (1d20+3=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1542099/)

And damage wasn't bad either!
Paggan's damage (1d8=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1542106/)

dyslexicfaser
2008-03-28, 01:31 PM
Edgar

Before charging into the fray, Edgar focuses his will. His muscles bulge with sudden strength and supernatural toughness. Ready, he swiftly closes in on the orc Paggan did not shoot.

Standard action: Using Divine Vigor to gain 6 temporary HP and +10ft speed for 2 minutes.

Sxoa
2008-03-29, 12:34 AM
Miyuki lets loose an arrow, attempting to strike Paggan's target.
[roll0]
forgot to roll for damage. It's in the out of character thread.

After firing her bow, Miyuki drops it and moves forward. She keeps a healthy distance (90 feet) between her and the orcs as she strides ahead, drawing her sword as she goes.

fendrin
2008-03-29, 08:37 AM
Hekesh

Hearing the Orc's cry and, though not comprehending the content, knowing that surprise had been lost, Hekesh prepares for what is likely going to be a protracted battle. He stretches his mind, reaching for a spell that he had yet to truly master. He then moves as close to the orcs as he can, ready to strike any that should close within his striking range.

Casting Bull's Strength, using Precocious Apprentice
requires DC 8 caster level check: [roll0]
If successful, +4 str for 3 minutes = 30 rounds.

He then moves to about 35' from the orcs.

TheMeanDM
2008-03-31, 08:49 AM
The thick bowstring of Bresk's longbow twangs loudly, launching the arrow directly into the ground about half-way down the path.

But Miyuki's shot is true and accurate, burying itself in the wounded orc's left shoulder, sending the green skinned brute spinning around briefly with the force of the impact. He completes his morbid pirouette of pain, collapsing on the ground in a dead heap.

Bresk curses loudly in some strange language.

Edgar rushes forward, closing with the remaining orc, who is surprised to see the human before him.

Hekesh also closes in, stopping with about a third of the way to go before reaching the lone guard, who yells out loudly in orcish "Lok-Narash!"*

FIRST ROUND
Edgar, Paggan
Sage
Miyuki, Bresk
Hekesh
Bad guy(s)

Bresk attack/crit confirm
1d20-1=3, 1d20-1=1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1544976/)

*"Lok-Narash!" in orcish means "Arm yourselves!"

Proven_Paradox
2008-03-31, 03:28 PM
((For Sage, the actions posted earlier (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4113232&postcount=511) remain unchanged.))

Zimmia
2008-03-31, 05:22 PM
Paggan

Now that their suprise was lost, Paggan shifts her bow and runs as quickly she can toward the orc at the entrance, shouting a challenge. "Lay down your arms!"

I don't know exactly how far Paggan has to travel, so she might not get there this round, but I think she probably would. She has a run movement of 80' a round.

Sxoa
2008-03-31, 07:56 PM
Miyuki focuses for a moment, charging herself with arcane energy. With supernatural fleetness of foot she hurtles down the hill at incredible speed. Leaping into the air she flies over Edgar and the orc slicing down in a hard but still graceful strike.
Arcane stunt swift action to expeditious retreat for 1 round.
Charge 120 feet (or less) to get to the orc.
The idea is to flank it with Edgar...
Jump check enhanced by ER: [roll0]
Attack +7 +2 Charge +2 Flank -3 Power Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
SA: [roll3]

TheMeanDM
2008-04-03, 11:21 AM
(skipping Edgar)

Paggan runs up to within thirty paces of the opening and shouts at the orc to lay down his arms and surrender. The green-skinned creature looks shocked, and the grip on his spear seems to lessen slightly, and then grow tighter.

At that very moment, Sage unleases a ball of pure sound from his 'spell bow'. The howling orb strikes the orc in the chesk, exploding in a cacaphony of sound. The orc is staggered by the blow, but remains on his feet, though not for very long.

For some unknown reason, Edgar hesitates as he reaches the orc. Behind him, though, Miyuki charges across the floor of the small valley and leaps high into the air.

With a graceful swing of her razor sharp katana, she deftly lops off the head of the orc. The surprised look still remains upon his severed head as it falls to the ground, accompanied by its newly dead body.

Bresk rushes forward and flanks the side of the cave opposite Miyuki.

(Hekesh, you're next)

Paggan is wearing full plate, so her run-speed is only 3x her normal movement. i.e. 60'.

Normal: You move four times your speed while running (if wearing light or no armor and carrying no more than a light load) or three times your speed (if wearing medium or heavy armor or carrying a medium or heavy load), and you lose your Dexterity bonus to AC.

It was 95' to the guardsmen when we started.

:smallsmile:

fendrin
2008-04-03, 01:43 PM
Hekesh

Hekesh moves to the front of the cave, making sure to stand no closer than 10' from any of his comrades-in-arms.

I think that's just a move action... what he does next will depend on what he can see in the cave, if anything.

Proven_Paradox
2008-04-03, 02:48 PM
Sage cringes a bit as Miyuki decapitates the orc, turning somewhat green at the sight. Still, he tries to retain his composure, and prepares to cast a spell to hinder any orcs coming through the cave. He seems uneasy, and not just because of the unsightly gore.

Next round, he will cast Glitterdust a little ways inside the cave, such that anyone who runs through it would have to make a will save (DC 16) or be blinded. This only applies assuming no allies have entered the cave; if he would catch any allies in the effect, he'll do something else instead.

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-04, 08:37 PM
((OOC: Heh, sorry about the slow response, guys.))

Edgar

Edgar hesitated, trying to figure out a way to drop the orc without killing him. But he hesitated too long, and was beaten to the metaphorical punch by Paggan's impressive decapitation.

He peeks inside the cave to see if the orc's cry had alerted his comrades.

TheMeanDM
2008-04-05, 09:13 PM
(sorry, was at an insurance awards banquet yesterday/today)

(Hekesh)

The cave inside is dimly lit from the outside sunlight. The entrance is about twenty feet across and fifteen feet high. The rocky entrance-path of the cave quickly descends at a mild angle. There is a sense of open-ness...of..large-ness...that you can feel.

http://www.burningwell.org/gallery2/d/7990-4/dscf2316.jpg

The bright daylight illuminates enough of the cave for you to see about thirty feet in. At the moment, you do not see any enemies.

Sxoa
2008-04-05, 10:07 PM
As there seems to be no one else immediately charging out, Miyuki cleans and sheathes her blade. After hearing the report from Hekesh and seeing for herself she states, "Well it seems we have a couple of options. One, we could wait out here for them to try to escape. This has the advantage of being relatively safe and easy for us. The disadvantages are that we do not know if this was a rendezvous point of some sort. There may be reinforcements on their way. Secondly we do not know if this cave has deeper passages, allowing them to escape that way. It seems unlikely, but I do not know the geology of the region and so I cannot rule it out.

Our second option would be to follow them down. The advantage of this is that it is proactive and will likely end quicker. The disadvantage is that it is at least a 100 times more dangerous for us as they will be laying the ambush for us instead of the other way around. Additionally, excepting a few in our party."
she gestures towards Paggan and Sage,
"We cannot see in the dark."
I'm aware that gnomes only get lowlight vision, but I'm presuming Miyuki hasn't really had much contact with them since this is her first time in "gnome country." I'm thinking that she'd presume they're akin to dwarves in terms of eyesight as halflings have similar eyesight to humans.

Proven_Paradox
2008-04-05, 11:17 PM
Sage relaxes a bit and sighs. "I think we should take the safe way for this. I cannot see without at least a little light to guide me. My primary concern is that there is another way for them to escape, though... Had I only the proper divinations..."

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-05, 11:47 PM
Edgar

Edgar gave up peering into the recesses of the cave. He shook his head and admitted, "Without knowing if there are other exits, we can't simply block this opening and wait. And for all we know, they have the provisions to out-last us. The only recourse I see is to invade the cave ourselves, despite any advantages our enemies would have from the dark and their knowledge of the area. I don't suppose anyone thought to bring torches? I am afraid I was anticipating a battle in the open air."

Sxoa
2008-04-05, 11:58 PM
Miyuki goes back to the other side of the hill where she left Rakuda and brings her faithful steed nearer to the entrance. Out one of the numerous packs tied to the beast she draws a few torches at Edgars request.

TheMeanDM
2008-04-07, 09:29 AM
The light from the torches provides some illumination in the dim cave. The ten-pace pool of light surrounding each who holds a torch reveals a rocky/sandy cave floor.

Your eyes adjust to the dim light, and you see a few more details about the inside of the cave complex.

To your left is a large ring of stones. Inside the ring is a blazing fire. It provides some good light to see by. Directly before you are two long wooden tables. On each table is a candle-holder with three candles in each. They provide enough light for anyone sitting at the table. You quickly count twenty chairs total. Two semi-burnt slabs of meat are sitting on the table. Looks like you might have disturbed their supper time!

To your right is a haphazardly stacked pile of wooden cargo boxes and three large wooden casks sitting upright.

You notice now that the cave is not completely without light. Make-shift iron torch holders have been secured to the inner cave wall at various points. The torches in them give off small pools of light, the same as the torches that you are carrying.

You can see that there are three natural tunnels leading from this main chamber.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3080/2396141868_412ac46d24_o.jpg

Do we have a marching order?

You guys are the blue dots, right now.

The red dots/squares are torches, and the orange circles around them is the radius of light that they are giving off.

Zimmia
2008-04-07, 04:13 PM
Paggan

Having returned briefly to Alphie, Paggan too brings a torch back with her. Rejoining the others she smiles. "If more light is what we need, that will not be a problem, and it may be that we can even use it to our advantage." She takes a deep breath as her eyes adjust to the dim light of the cave and she looks intently around her.

Sorry for not posting earlier. Things have been... interesting. Anyways some rolls:
Spot: [roll0]
listen: [roll1]

Sxoa
2008-04-07, 05:13 PM
Miyuki ***** an eyebrow at Paggan's comment but sys nothing about it.
"Torches? For orcs? The mystery deepens... Well do we search this room first or just look for tracks and hunt them down?"
...what? oh for crying out loud, fine she RAISES an eyebrow.:smalltongue:

Proven_Paradox
2008-04-07, 06:09 PM
Sage enters the cave warily, allowing his low-light vision to take in the details. He frowns as he stays near the back.

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-08, 06:42 PM
Miyuki ***** an eyebrow
:smallbiggrin:

Edgar

Edgar decides to take a quick look at the upright casks, suspecting more stolen merchant booty. Alcohol, perhaps?

"And where might the orcs have gone?" he wondered aloud. "They apparently didn't hear their sentinel's yell, or we'd likely be hip-deep in the creatures by now."

TheMeanDM
2008-04-08, 09:18 PM
The barrels have a large spigot on the end that is facing up toward the ceiling, it would indeed seem that there is some type of liquid inside. Sniffing it briefly, a strong smell of alcohol assaults your nose.

Sxoa
2008-04-08, 09:32 PM
"Normally I would agree Edgar, but these are no ordinary orcs. Perhaps they did here and have moved on into the tunnels to lay a trap, or warn their master..."

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-08, 10:12 PM
Edgar

Edgar winced. "And isn't that a lovely thought, Miyuki. But our job is still to find and deal them, so it seems we must still pick a tunnel and see what lies beyond."

((OOC: So, paper-rock-scissors to decide our fate, maybe?))

Zimmia
2008-04-08, 10:19 PM
Paggan

"It appears there's a great deal that's not what it seems," Paggan says quietly as she looks around the cavern. "Those torches - there's no smoke. Some sort of magic, I'm guessing?"

fendrin
2008-04-09, 07:25 PM
Hekesh

"Bresk, please take the lead. Your senses will be of great value."
He places one hand on the lizardman's shoulder and points to the center tunnel with his guisarme.

Proven_Paradox
2008-04-10, 04:26 AM
As Paggan points out the lack of smoke from the candles, Sage takes a moment to examine them as they pass on the way to whichever fork they decide to take (if asked, he will say that he has no preference). While examining the candles, he says, "There are many a spell that could produce such an effect, and I suspect this is a simple spell of the first tier, but I would like to be certain before we move on..."

I'm unclear on whether this should be a spellcraft or knowledge(arcana) check. I'd like to take 10 to identify the effect on the candles; that makes a 21 for arcana and 19 for spellcraft.

TheMeanDM
2008-04-10, 12:57 PM
The candles are regular candles, giving off light and smoke appropriate to a candle their size.

The torches hanging from the wall, on the other hand, do seem to be oddly smoke-free. (spellcraft check is appropriate here).

Bresk unstraps a short-hafted, but deadly looking spear from his weapon harness. He grips the weapon with his clawed hands, then nods at Hekesh.

He begins moving toward the center tunnel, his reptilian eyes darting back and forth.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Sxoa
2008-04-10, 04:13 PM
Miyuki follows listening carefully and trying to walk as quietly as possible.
Move Silently, I'll take 10 for a whopping 12.
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Proven_Paradox
2008-04-10, 04:21 PM
Sage quickly goes over to one of the torches, takes one, and attempts to recognize the spell cast upon it. He also keeps his eyes and ears open, hoping that perhaps his gnomish low-light vision might uncover something the others might miss.

Spot/Listen: (1d20+1=19, 1d20+3=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1558851/)

Spellcraft: (1d20+9=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1558853/) (Phaaaaale)

TheMeanDM
2008-04-10, 04:38 PM
Sage moves one of the lighter boxes over into place, so that he can stand upon it to reach the torch.

Once he secures it, he is amazed by the complexity of the thing. No heat. No smoke. Only pure, eternal light. It's amazing!

fendrin
2008-04-10, 05:48 PM
Hekesh

Hekesh quietly clears his throat.
"Sage, would you care to join us?"

Hekesh takes position in the rear and keeps his eyes and ears open. Meanwhile, he contemplates the magic of the torches.

Move Silently - take 10 for 12
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-10, 05:56 PM
Edgar

Edgar focuses on his holy symbol, and the power of The One fills him (Using another Turn Undead to power my 2-minute Divine Vigor: 6 temporary HP and +10 move speed). He hurries to his spot in their impromptu formation, his eyes and ears pricked for signs of orc or trap.

Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

TheMeanDM
2008-04-10, 06:39 PM
(I was sending PM's as people rolled, but let's do something different, inspired by Belial)

If your Listen Check is >=15 read this spoiler

You hear coming from somewhere down the center tunnel, the sound of a brief chant. The attempt to keep the words quiet obviously failed to beat your keen sense of hearing!

If your Spot check is >=15, and I haven't already PM'd you, read this spoiler:

You notice a shadowy figure lurking just outside the glowing radius of one of the torches further down the center tunnel. Whoever or whatever it is seems to be trying hard not to be seen, but your sharp vision managed to spot them.

Zimmia
2008-04-10, 11:19 PM
Paggan

Paggan continues to walk deeper into the cave, moving as quietly as she can, and keeping an eye out for anything else.

roll'em:
move silently: [roll0]
spot: [roll1]
listen: [roll2]

Sxoa
2008-04-11, 12:09 AM
First the temptation to read those things despite my poor roles is fierce! I'll check them out once we've moved past this point if that's ok. Secondly, good lord those were terrible spellcraft rolls.
Miyuki walks on, oblivious unless her more alert companions fill her in.

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-11, 08:06 PM
Edgar

Edgar's sharp eyes pick out a shadowy figure up ahead keeping just outside the torchlight. It seems to be striving to remain unnoticed.

His mind alight with thoughts of assassins and ambushes, he is determined not to lose the element of surprise. Not speaking a word of warning in fear of alerting the chanters or this mysterious foe, he resolved to drop whatever the watcher was in a single strike. No alarm would be raised.

Wordlessly, he covers the distance between himself and the figure on quiet feet and lashes out, aiming a blow designed to render the figure insensate.

Attack: [roll0]
Using a Stunning Fist to take out our mystery guest: DC17 fort save.
Also: if this turns out to be a friendly like Redfern, well... sorry, but you guys have probably noticed by now that Edgar subscribes to the theory that it's not really paranoia if they are out to get you.

Proven_Paradox
2008-04-12, 01:36 PM
"No, wait!" Hisses Sage in a harsh whisper as he returns to the group with the torch. He'd also seen and heard the figure, and runs to put a hand Edgar's shoulder. "'Tis a spell he was casting! I've no idea what kind, but that one is most surely setting a trap! Hold a tick whilst we attempt to glean some information about the spell, please."

If Edgar doesn't charge off in spite of his warnings, he will turn to Hekesh and whisper, "Can you cast that spell again? This is the last day I ever set out without at least one casting of that prepared again..."

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-12, 05:28 PM
Edgar

Edgar will subside under Sage's hand and wait for Hekesh to figure out the spell.

TheMeanDM
2008-04-12, 06:42 PM
The game is going on hold until Tuesday/Wednesday or so, once I get back home and can...well...think.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77587

My mom was diagnosed with Stage IV Small Cell Lung Cancer Friday.

TheMeanDM
2008-04-16, 10:08 AM
As if he reads his mind, Sage reacts to the twitchy movement of Edgar, his words of caution causing his companion to stop in his tracks.

Unfortunately, the distraction of speaking disrupts Sage's thought process, and he is unable to dedicate himself to discerning the spell that he hears being cast.

As the spell is finished, from the shadows of the darkened tunnels straight ahead and to your left emerge several green-skinned Orcs. Murderous intent is easily visible in their eyes as they rush forward with weapons drawn! When you see the orcs, there is about fifty paces of distance between Bresk and the front ones, and sixty to the ones down the left tunnel.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2054/2419008640_6e698de6b7_o.jpg

roll initiative!
there is no surprise round, as both sides are expecting each other.

Please post your AC (reguar, touch, and Flat-footed)

Br = Bresk
Pa = Paggan
Ed = Edgar
Sa = Sage
He = Hekesh
Mi = Miyuki
F1 = Figure 1
F2 = Figure 2
O = Orc

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

fendrin
2008-04-16, 02:22 PM
Hekesh
[roll0]
AC: 19 / Touch AC: 12

Proven_Paradox
2008-04-16, 04:48 PM
"EEEEYAAAAHAHAAA!" cries Sage as the orcs appear, and he quickly beings weaving a spell. As he completes the chant, he points to the hallway with more orcs, and suddenly a thick, sticky web appears over the entrance. He then quickly moves to the back of the group.

Initiative: (1d20+1=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1567338/) (BOOYAH!)

Standard: Casting web over the indicated hallway's entrance: Save DC 16 to avoid being entangled in it.
Move: Getting behind someone bigger than him.

AC: 16, Touch 12, FF 15.

If at any point he is about to be the target of a melee attack, he will use an abrupt jaunt to move out of the attacker's range.

Since he grabbed Edgar's shoulder, he should be much, much closer to the rest of the group, I think. Still, with that init roll he's probably going before anyone has a chance to get to him anyway.

Glad to see you back MeanDM, and I hope things are going okay on your side.

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-16, 07:02 PM
Edgar

AC: 15 HP: 34/28 (Divine Vigor)

Zimmia
2008-04-16, 07:44 PM
Paggan

"The ambushed and slain will have their justice, one way or another!" Paggan shouts as she draws her scimitar and moves toward the orcs, gazing intently at the other figures in the room.

Have I heard enough about orcs to know that torches would be out of place for them? If so the spot check is probably more relevant, but I still want to try and make out what else is here with them.
Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

AC: 21, touch 11, FF 20 HP 26/26

Sxoa
2008-04-16, 11:46 PM
Though her obliviousness Miyuki keeps her just a step behind her paranoid gnome friend, she explodes into action rapidly once combat is joined. Quickly focusing arcane energy into her form she launches herself down the unblocked tunnel. A mighty leap clears the table and she races between two of the snarling orcs, whisking by with such haste that they are unable to react. Her blade appears in hand in a blinding flash of gleaming steel and she cuts deeply into the shadowy figure.
Initiative:[roll0]
AC: 12/12/10

Aye, hope all is well.

EDIT: Well my fiasco over in the OOC thread is where I did most of my rolling (why is explained there).
He's flat footed since he hasn't acted yet, hence the SA and IF. Similarly the orcs don't attacks of opportunity unless they have combat reflexes.

Damage Total is 11 (Base)+3(Sneak Attack)+1(Iiaijutsu Focus)+11(Critical)=26 (or 15 if a 17 doesn't hit).

TheMeanDM
2008-04-17, 02:28 PM
{table=header]Init Point | PC/NPC
21 | Sage
20 | Miyuki
14 | Orcs
13 | Edgar (1st) Figure 1 (2nd)
11 | Hekesh
9 | Paggan
8 | Bresk
1 | Figure 2
[/table]

Sage casts the spell, effectively blocking the entrance to the left tunnel. The webs extend twenty feet out from the tunnel, as well as twenty feet into the tunnel.

Two of the orcs struggle to move their way through the mess of webs. Strain as they might, though, they are unable to move against the mass of webs. The other two get shocked looks on their faces as they are immediately held fast by the webs.

Miyuki rushes forward, clearing the table with an amazing leap. Shouldering her way past the three 'stunned' orcs, she slashes out with her katana. The dark figure stumbles forward slightly into the light. He is a human wearing a deep blue cloak that ends at the knees. He stretches out a gauntleted hand and catches himself.

The three orcs look at each other for a brief second, unsure who to attack. "Get her!" the man yells at them loudly.

Two of the orcs oblige, moving to attack the dextrous Miyuki with their longswords. The third charges forward, attacking Bresk with a drawn sword. The swing from the blade is short of Bresk's skin, the lizardman smiling back with a toothy grin.

The two orcs that attack Miyuki each hit, their longsword creating nasty gashes upon the unarmored woman.

(Edgar, you're up)

saves:
numbers 1, 2, 3, & 4 (1d20=17, 1d20=17, 1d20=6, 1d20=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1568369/)

strength checks:
numbers 1 & 2 vs. 10--3 & 4 vs. 20 (1d20 3=11, 1d20 3=4, 1d20 3=7, 1d20 3=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1568370/)

attacks:
1, 2 vs. miyuki (12), 3 vs. bresk (21) (1d20 4=13, 1d20 4=17, 1d20 4=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1568413/)

damage:
damage 1, 2 (1d8+3=8, 1d8+3=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1568414/) Total: 14

No Peeking! :smallbiggrin:

Thord:
21/36
18/12/18
No more peeking! :smallbiggrin:

Fire / Chaos
1: 4+1
- Cure Light Wounds
- Cause Fear
- Doom
- Shield of Faith
+ Burning Hands (4d4)

2: 3+1
- Hold Person
- Sound Burst
- Close Wounds
+ Shatter

Orc 1: 5
Orc 2: 5
Orc 3: 5

Arkir: 43/43
21/12/21

Storms / Destruction
- Cure Light Wounds
- Vigor, Lesser
- Doom
- Shield of Faith
+ Entropic Shield

- Infernal Wound
- Summon Undead II
- Close Wounds
+ Gust of Wind

3: 2+1
- Dispel Magic
- Cure Serious Wounds
+ Contagion

Orc 1: 5
Orc 2: 5
Orc 3: 5
Orc 4: 5

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-17, 04:37 PM
(OOC: I'm assuming I don't have a direct line to charge 'Figure 1'. If I do, just tack on another +2 to my attack roll.)

Edgar

Edgar follows Miyuki, ducking past the orcs and trying to drive a knee into one of the human's more sensitive areas to take him out of the fight. He had been trained to strike at enemy spellcasters first and foremost.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Plus using one of my two Stunning Fist attacks (Fort DC 17) to take him down for a turn.

EDIT: Well, well, well. Gonna go roll the critical threat in the OOC thread. I might have just kneed someone hard enough in the groin to kill him. Let's hear it for monk training.

TheMeanDM
2008-04-17, 06:21 PM
In order to maneuver himself into position, Edgar exposes himself to the attack of one of the orcs. The orc swings his longsword around in an arc...fortunately for Edgar, the orc misses his attack.

As he slips past the flailing orc, Edgar launches a knee directly at the human. Bypassing his defenses, Edgar lands a solid shot directly in the midsection of the man. The man "woofs" loudly as the air is knocked out of him, but he immediately stands straightens himself up.

"You and your little bitch will both pay." he growls low.

He takes a step backwards, maneuvering himself away from his two adversaries.

He steps back a few more times, into the darkness.

Suddenly, a flare of red light illuminates the surrounding area in front of him. A wide fan of red-orange fire bursts forth from his fingers.

Either the man did not care, or misjudged his range, because his fiery blast engulfed both the orcs standing to the sides of Miyuki. One of the orcs fell to the ground screaming in pain, the flesh of his face seared down to the bone. In mere seconds he was silenced as his body went into shock.

The other orc managed to shield himself with his arm somewhat. Though it was blistered and burned, his other, sword wielding hand, was still quite serviceable.

[roll0]

[roll1]

[roll2]

Edit:
taking 5' step (avoids attack of opportunity)

Casting a spell.

Please make Reflex saves, DC 14. Save, and you take 4 damage. Fail, and you take 8 (Fire).

Miyuki: your clothing is on fire! You can extinguish it with a full-round action.

Edgar: your clothing is on fire! You can extinguish it with a full-round action.

relfex saves 1, 2 (1d20+1=17, 1d20+1=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1568740/)

No looksie! :smallbiggrin:

Thord:
15/36
18/12/18
No more peeking! :smallbiggrin:

Fire / Chaos
- Cure Light Wounds
- Cause Fear
- Doom
- Shield of Faith
+ Burning Hands (4d4)

- Hold Person
- Sound Burst
- Close Wounds
+ Shatter

Hekesh, you're up!

fendrin
2008-04-17, 07:42 PM
Hekesh

Seeing the spellcaster immolate Miyuki and Edgar, Hekesh knew what he had to do. Feeling his muscles surge with magical augmentation, he runs across the room, angling his guisarme upward to split the caster from groin to gullet.

"No one speaks of my friend in such a manner!"

Attempt to identify the spell: [roll0]
[roll1] (+2 if charge is possible)
[roll2]
Rolls below to applied as needed...
[roll3] (+2 if charge is possible)
[roll4]

Damage rolls should have been +6/+12 instead of +7/+14, so total damage is actually 34.

TheMeanDM
2008-04-17, 09:33 PM
Hekesh feels barely any resistance as he executes a perfect swing. He hears the "tink tink tink" of ripping chain links as his blade cleaves through metal, flesh, and bone.

WTF is it with you all?!?!?

20, 20, 19, 20, 20....cripes...my NPC's are DOOMED! :smallfurious:

That's alright...I got some...skills...left :smallwink:

Paggan, you are up!

Sxoa
2008-04-17, 09:51 PM
Miyuki hisses a curse in her native tongue as the orcs deal her two vicious blows. After Edgar winds the man and he replies she smirks at Edgar, "This man has promised me to you; now I am yours now Master Edgar! I hope to serve you well in the future."

Miyuki's banter is cut short by the explosion but fortunately some god somewhere seems to smile on sass and she manages to dodge back and only be caught in the fringe of it.
Youch! Miyuki is hurting! (EDIT: 9 hit points after making the save) Well thats to be expected I guess. Someday she'll have a decent AC, right now she just hits really hard.

Reflex Save (hmm what's my modifier. Ouch this is going to hurt, now I sort of wish I'd taken grace instead of arcane stunt, not too much, but a little):
[roll0]

On her turn Miyuki is going to withdraw I think, sorry to leave you in the thick of things Edgar but I'm almost down for the count!

Zimmia
2008-04-17, 10:03 PM
Paggan

Gritting her teeth, the course of action seems clear. She holds her blade low and charges the figure, and then takes a great swing at the figure.

Attack (with a +2 if I have room to charge at whichever figure isn't on the other side of the web): [roll0]
Crit confirmation if necessary: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-17, 10:12 PM
(OOC: I think the Figure already got cleaved from stem to stern by Hekesh, Zim. Also, Sxoa, I think you'll be fine: there's just two orcs left in this tunnel, and one is pretty mangled already. Maybe take a roll in the dirt to put out your clothing. I got the cure for what ails ya.)

TheMeanDM
2008-04-17, 10:50 PM
Paggan
Gritting her teeth, the course of action seems clear. She holds her blade low and charges the figure, and then takes a great swing at the figure.

Yes, the Figure 1 is down and dead. There is 20' of webbing between you and the other 4 orcs (total concealment, btw). There is 1 orc currently attacking Bresk.

Zimmia
2008-04-17, 11:27 PM
Paggan

Gritting her teeth, the course of action seems clear, as she watches one of the orcs attacking Bresk. Holding her blade high, she darts at the orc attacking her brave and unique friend.

Rolls can stand from the previous post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4207278&postcount=568), I'm really just changing her target

Attack: 12
Damage: 6
(not a crit)

TheMeanDM
2008-04-18, 10:05 AM
Paggan's blade lashes out toward the orc, who, at the very last second, slightly moves his chest backwards. Paggan's scimitar grazes the orc's leather armor, leaving a slight scratch.

Bresk follows through, though, and stabs his shortened spear directly into the bowels of the orc, impaling the hapless creature. Red blood burbles up from the orc's mouth as Bresk shoves the spear upwards a little bit further, puncturing the orc's lungs.

Then, seemingly from nowhere, two humanoid skeletons appear. They rush forward and attack Paggan with rusty scimitars.

The first skeleton scrapes its blade across Paggan's shield, nearly landing its blow upon her. The second skeleton swings wildly, missing the holy knight.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2344/2422518857_bd76e38aa4_o.jpg

bresk:
attack and crit jik (1d20+5=16, 1d20+5=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1569230/)

bresk dmg:
damage (1d6+4=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1569232/)

skeletons:
1st, 2nd (1d20+3=20, 1d20+3=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1569326/)

Miyuki, Edgar and Hekesh can see that the tunnel extends a good sixty paces further down, small glowing torches lighting the way. A small fire can be seen off in the distance.

Round 2: Sage, go!

Proven_Paradox
2008-04-18, 02:51 PM
Sage's eyes are wide; seeing the orcs burn in the man's spell was sickening, but seeing Hekesh tear the man in twain with his glaive was almost too much for the gnome, and he quickly turns his attention to the orc that had charged into the room--just in time to see him get impaled. His skin has turned sickly pale and he looks like he's about to be sick, but for now he keeps his composure, and points to one of the newly arrived skeletons with his spellbow shakily, before firing off an orb.

Actions/rolls:
Standard: Firing the spellbow
Ranged Touch Attack/Damage (Lesser Sonic Orb): (1d20+3=19, 1d6=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1569648/)

TheMeanDM
2008-04-18, 03:47 PM
Sage's aim is true, and the cacophonic orb strikes the skeletal warrior. The undead seems unphased by the blast, however, and continues to menace Paggan.

Miyuki! You're next!

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-18, 07:10 PM
HP: 26/28 (on fire)
Edgar

If the orc is still alive when it comes to his turn, Edgar will take a 5-ft step to get behind the orc and hit him with a nonlethal combination attack (Flurry of Blows) designed to incapacitate, not kill: in case they cannot manage to take the leader alive, perhaps they can find some information from one of the grunts.

Attack1: [roll0]
Attack2: [roll1]
Dmg1: [roll2]
Dmg2: [roll3]

If Miyuki kills the orc herself, Edgar will stop, drop and roll to put himself out.

Sxoa
2008-04-18, 10:42 PM
Miyuki drops to the ground rolling about in as dignified manner as possible to put herself out.

TheMeanDM
2008-04-19, 07:10 AM
Miyuki douses the flames upon her person.

The orc, seeing Miyuki prone on the ground, rolling around to douse the flames on her, decides that she would make a most excellent target! He grins wickedly as he slashes downward with his longsword!

[roll0]

[roll1]

Miyuki is prone (-4 to ac), so her 12 ac becomes 8.

CRAP! I missed by 1 !!!! :smallfurious:

Guess they don't make Orcs like they used to....

Edgar moves into position behind the orc and unleashes a series of blows against him. The first connects, which luckily for the monk, was all that was needed. The unconscious orc slumps head-first onto Miyuki.

TheMeanDM
2008-04-19, 07:18 AM
Edgar, still on fire, has his skin singed by the lashing flames.

[roll0]

Sxoa
2008-04-19, 03:42 PM
"For me dear? You are too kind!"

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-19, 07:22 PM
Edgar smiled crookedly, trying to ignore through force of will the fact that he is currently on fire. She handled him battering an orc unconscious on her behalf with the same aplomb a lesser woman might being gifted with a pretty trinket. "A pleasure, my lady."

(OOC: Okay, so running into the web would be a Bad Idea. Can I, being on fire, hug people to death? I'm hard-pressed to find a way to kill orcs that is cooler than that.)

fendrin
2008-04-20, 08:16 AM
Hekesh

"Take care of her."
Hekesh says to the man still ensconced in flame. He then runs to assist Paggan, attacking whichever skeleton looks more damaged.

[roll0]
[roll1]

TheMeanDM
2008-04-20, 10:27 AM
Hekesh

"Take care of her."
Hekesh says to the man still ensconced in flame. He then runs to assist Paggan, attacking whichever skeleton looks more damaged.

[roll0]
[roll1]

There is no straight line, as one skeleton is directly behind Paggan and the other is to her right.. That, and the distance is further than 30'. So the best you could manage is a double move to get into position next round.

fendrin
2008-04-20, 05:07 PM
There is no straight line, as one skeleton is directly behind Paggan and the other is to her right.. That, and the distance is further than 30'. So the best you could manage is a double move to get into position next round.

Well, in that case, Hekesh will move to between the tables, then cast Disrupt Undead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/disruptUndead.htm) when he is in range (30' from the skeleton).
[roll0]
[roll1]

TheMeanDM
2008-04-21, 01:42 PM
The bright, white ray of positive energy shoots from Hekesh's pointing finger. The ray strikes the skeleton that Sage hit with his sonic orb. The bones of the skeleton crack and then crumble into dust before your very eyes.

Paggan, next up!

Zimmia
2008-04-21, 02:18 PM
Paggan

Her blue eyes flashing into a deep azure, Paggan raises her scimitar and calls on the power of Forseti to help her deal with the abomination before her.

Undead call for smite evil!
attack: [roll0] edit: /cry
damage: [roll1]

Holy Light Remaining: 5/6

TheMeanDM
2008-04-21, 07:35 PM
Paggan's scimitar is deflected by the unnatural speed of the skeleton, its blade deceptively faster than anticipated.

Bresk moves into position next to the skeleton, and jabs his spear at the supernatural collection of bones, but his aim is quite far off.

1d20+4=5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1572972/)

Three orcs remain entangled, and the fourth advances through the web about five paces.

The skeleton twists its own blade around and tries to strike at Paggan, but the blow is wide.

atk and crit check (1d20+1=6, 1d20+1=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1572976/)

Sage, you're up! (round 3)

Proven_Paradox
2008-04-21, 07:51 PM
Still obviously struggling to keep from vomiting, Sage fires off another shot from his spellbow.

Using yet another Lesser Sonic Orb charge. These things seem to have unimpressive HP, so perhaps a good damage roll will finish it, no?

Lesser Sonic Orb touch attack/damage: (1d20+3=12, 1d6=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1573010/) Bleh. Probably misses, and almost surely doesn't kill it even if it hits. Oh well.

Sxoa
2008-04-21, 09:23 PM
As she stands Miyuki whips away the heavy sash holding her hip length kimono off her waste, trusting her hiyoku, chest binding, and the darkness to maintain some level of modesty. She uses the thick fabric of the sash to beat the flames engulfing Edgar out before they can do anymore damage to the brave monk.

HP: 9
AC 12/10
I don't know the rules for the action I just took, and I don't think they're actually written but I'll make a to hit roll to put the fire out on him as its the closest thing I can approximate to whacking at all the flames on him, unless it just auto-succeeds. Alternatively it could be a reflex save in which case it would be a +2 bonus.
[roll0]
EDIT: If its reflex then thats a 14

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-21, 09:24 PM
HP: 22/28
Edgar

EDIT: If Miyuki can get the flames out, I'll switch my action to something else.

Edgar, no longer immediately threatened by foes, throws himself to the ground and rolls around, putting out the flames.

TheMeanDM
2008-04-22, 09:12 AM
Sage points his spellbow at the skeletal warrior, and the screaming ball of sound hits the creature. This time, there is an audible cracking noise. Some of the bones have visible cracks in them. The undead warrior, though, remains standing, his sword waving menacingly.

Miyuki wraps her clothing around the burning monk, smothering the flames. The smell of the monks burned flesh is a bit sickening.

I've no problem sacrificing your own actions to aid another in such a manner. It's what good teammates do for one another :smallsmile:

So basically you just used a full-round action to accomplish what Edgar would have accomplished during his turn.

1d20+3 → [7,3] = (10)
1d20+3 → [5,3] = (8)
1d20+3 → [8,3] = (11)
1d20+3 → [18,3] = (21)

The four orcs seem to still be held fast, though it's hard to see them completely through the webbing.

Edgar!

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-22, 12:59 PM
Edgar

Edgar spares a thankful glance at Miyuki for her quick actions in preventing him from further injury like, say, burning to death. A quick look tells him that their companions likely have the skeleton well in hand, so he can turn his attention to his own tasks. He places his hands upon Miyuki and accesses his healing magic:

Cause Fear converted to Cure Light Wounds: [roll0]

(OOC: Does anybody know if I can convert my domain spells into healing spells if I need to? Detect Thoughts isn't much use on a battlefield.)

fendrin
2008-04-22, 02:29 PM
Hekesh

Hekesh leaps atop the table and brings his guisarme down in a chopping motion at the remaining skeleton.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Sxoa
2008-04-23, 12:10 AM
Miyuki smiles in thanks and says, "You have a warm touch good sir."
Alas you cannot. "The cleric can "lose" any prepared spell that is not a domain spell in order to cast any cure spell of the same spell level or lower (a cure spell is any spell with "cure" in its name)."

TheMeanDM
2008-04-23, 07:08 AM
Hekesh's blade strikes true, and the skull of the beast is lopped in half, his blade , though, seems to meet resistance that he didn't expect from normal bones. The skeleton crumbles into a pile of dust.

Paggan, you're up!

Sxoa has it right. Domain spells aren't able to be spontaneously released.

TheMeanDM
2008-04-25, 08:43 AM
(we'll skip Paggan this round)

Bresk walks over to the edge of the webbing. "No getsss through there, right?" he asks sage. "We not go in, they not come out?"

Combat *can* be over, if you want. Unless you push it...in which case, Sage is up. :smallbiggrin:

Proven_Paradox
2008-04-25, 04:06 PM
"Jush... ugh... just watch that one that's not rooted yet..." Sage's voice is strained with the effort of keeping his lunch in place, and a few seconds later those efforts come to naught; he quickly runs to a corner and begins vomiting.

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-26, 12:04 AM
Edgar

Edgar's smile at Miyuki's words is professional, though his face turns a bit red in spite of him. Spending his time in religious monasteries learning to kill people with his elbows didn't give him much opportunities to socialize, particularly with the other gender.

He turns and inspects the web-bound orcs thoughtfully. "Well, I suppose we can leave them hanging around, if you like. They don't seem to be going anywhere. How long does this spell last if you don't dispel it, Sage?"

Sxoa
2008-04-26, 11:03 AM
Miyuki reties her clothes, dusts off, and generally makes herself decent and presentable before rejoining the group. She keeps a wary eye on the bound opponents, ready to attack them in the blink of eye.
"Does anyone speak Orc?"

Seeing the ill gnome, she gives Sage a concerned look.
"I have some tea outside I could brew up if you'd like. It would only take a few minutes if you need it to settle your stomach."

I don't know if Orcs have a language of their own or if its called something other than "Orc." I'd guess as the more organized group Goblins would have taken "Kandorian" as a name for their language if either did something other than "Goblin."

World Fluff aside, Miyuki doesn't speak it :smallbiggrin:

Proven_Paradox
2008-04-26, 01:57 PM
Sage continues his retching for a few moments. At last he seems to have finished up, and says to Miyuki, gasping for breath as he says, "There's naught left to expel, I think... Thanks all the same; I'll pass for now." He stands upright and takes a long drink from a canteen at his hip to try and wash the taste away, spits the water out with a grim expression, before turning back to look the room over, slowly steadying his breathing.. "The web will be there for around thirty minutes unless we do something to change that, but given enough time the orcs could break through--it's strong, but not unbreakable." He then takes a moment to look where the skeleton's remains are (or were, if they've vanished). "There must have been another caster here to have summoned those... We should keep our guards up; they're probably still about."

fendrin
2008-04-26, 02:39 PM
Hekesh

Hekesh sighs, then his face hardens.
"In Shangtai they say (Shangtai)'Showing your back invites the spear.'"(/Shangtai)
Walking over to the northern fire, he pulls out a log that has caught fire on one end.
"In my homeland, they say (Mu)'The flames of justice shall cleanse the world.'"(/Mu)
He throws the burning log into the midst of the webbing.

Sxoa
2008-04-26, 10:42 PM
Miyuki nods respectfully at Sage, "As you wish. Perhaps we can take tea and break rice together sometime regardless though. You would do me a great honor."

After Hekesh tosses the burning log in Miyuki shrugs and notches an arrow to her bow.
"So much for interrogation."
She takes careful aim at the throat of the nearest orc, trying to kill him quickly before the fire burns him to death.
I think the guy is flatfooted (or at least denied his dex bonus) because of the webbing so I get sneak attack damage.

We're out of combat so I'd like to take 10 if I can on the attack roll. Its not technically in the rules, and I'm fine if you say you don't want it but some DMs allow for it. Heres my roll if not.
attack[roll0]
damage[roll1]
sneak attack[roll2]

Wow, that was astoundingly bad...:smallbiggrin:

Miyuki hisses out a curse under her breath as her bow string snaps apart and the arrow clatters to the floor. The fates apparently did not wish mercy to be visited on the entangled opponents.

Miyuki's curse is one befitting her station and gender, nothing vulgar. She gets upset, but she tries to do it in style if she can.:smallcool:

TheMeanDM
2008-04-27, 07:54 AM
As the flaming log flies through the webbing, the magical spiderwebs flare up and start burning intensely.

In the first few seconds, the first orc begins screaming and howling in pain, his flesh first blistering, then sizzling.

Then, as the flames spread to consume the surrounding webbing around him, the heat of the fire is intense enough to burst his eyes, their fluid spewing forth from his sockets. The orc howls a primal scream of pain and fear, in Kandoran Orcish you assume. Then the fire finds its way into his lungs and he is silenced.

The flames continue to spread through the webbing, engulfing each orc in a similar, gruesome fashion.

Their howls of pain, agony, and fear will most likely stay with you for awhile. Seeing an intelligent being burning to death, even a hostile one, has not been a pleasant experience.

damage
1,2,3,4 (2d4=4, 2d4=4, 2d4=4, 2d4=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1579290/)

damage 2
1,2,3,4 (2d4=5, 2d4=6, 2d4=8, 2d4=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1579292/)

fendrin
2008-04-27, 09:01 AM
Hekesh

Hekesh forces himself to watch the conflagration. As the orcs burn his features show a mixture of remorse and approval, and tears streak down his cheeks, leaving tracks in the soot that has accumulated on is face. His knuckles are white as he grips his guisarme ever tighter.
He prays quietly in Mu. (Mu)"May Haku forgive me..."(/Mu)

Zimmia
2008-04-27, 03:26 PM
Paggan

As she watches the orcs burn in the webbing, Paggan has a flashback to a horrific scene from her childhood, when one of the kitchen maids somehow caught her cloak in the fire and the flames engulfed her before others could chase her and beat out the fire. She dismisses the memory as quickly as she can, knowing that there is a vast difference between an accident and a battle. "The most prudent course of action is often distasteful," she says in a low, quiet voice. "And when we find the person pulling the strings of these orcs we can gain vengence for them as well."

Paggan watches the flames die down, and as soon as she can get across safely she does so, if necessary taking the moment required to adjust her eyes to the darkness.

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-27, 04:33 PM
Edgar

Edgar watches the conflagration with no expression on his face. In his time as a hunter of heretics, he had done many things in the name of his god and Father Lucius that had seemed right at the time but that he later came to regret. These were not the first sentient beings he had seen burned alive, but perhaps with luck, they would be the last.

When the last orc was dead, he spoke. His voice was brisk. He had long learned to bury his more troublesome emotions when there was a task that needed doing. "Did anyone think to bring rope?" he pointed to the orc he had beaten unconscious further up the center tunnel, the only one to survive the slaughter. "Perhaps we can get something out of him later, and I'd rather not have to carry him when we go after that magic user."

Proven_Paradox
2008-04-27, 04:41 PM
Sage is slow to notice Hekesh picking up the log. Just a moment after he throws it, Sage shouts, "No, stop!" Too late to stop it, he quickly turns away from the flames and opens his haversack, pulling out his flask of Alchemist's Ice as quickly as he can. Flask in hand, he runs towards the web and raises his arm to throw it just as the last orc's screams fall silent.

His arms go limp as he stares at the remains. He turns to Hekesh with a horrified expression and says, "By the Hells, are you mad!?"

Sxoa
2008-04-27, 06:47 PM
Miyuki busies herself with restringing her bow, wrinkling her nose at the smell of burning orc flesh.
Sometimes we must do distasteful things in the line of duty. Loyalty before personal honor.

fendrin
2008-04-27, 07:06 PM
Hekesh

"Mad? Perhaps so. I will pay for my sins." He shakes his head. "Regardless, they could not be left alive, and we have a more important task than debating ethics. There is still a necromancer to be dealt with. We must ensure that the ones responsible for this do not escape. We must search these tunnels, but if they interconnect then doing so may provide an escape route."

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-27, 09:08 PM
Edgar

"It may not help," Edgar pointed out to the horrified Sage, "but they were thieves and killers. The method was horrific, but the end result no worse than they deserved."

Sxoa
2008-04-30, 03:47 AM
"Shall we press on then?"

Proven_Paradox
2008-04-30, 05:05 AM
Sage stares blankly at Edgar for a moment, before saying, "There were so many different ways we could have approached that." He (gently) drops the flask back into his pack and brings his hands to his forehead, shaking his head as he speaks. "So many different ways we could have at least killed them without making them suffer like that... And I'm the only one here who even has a problem with it! Hah!" He sighs and adds, bitterly, "Let's get done here."

TheMeanDM
2008-04-30, 08:38 AM
Before you are the three tunnels, staring with darkened mouths, waiting to swallow you...to envelop you in their shadowy innards.

Hi all!

I was trying to post in this thread on Saturday that I was going to see my mom on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday this week..but the site was being a pain in the drain :smallfurious:

I was only able to post to one of the game threads I'm in, unfortunately.

I'm back around now, so let the slaughter resume! :smalltongue:

Zimmia
2008-04-30, 04:57 PM
Paggan

Paggan takes a couple of steps closer to Sage, her eyes kind and her voice soft. "I don't think there are any of us unaffected by what happened my friend. Perhaps some of us are more accustomed to warlike encounters than you are but please do not take that to mean that we are without feeling." She nods faintly in the direction of Hekesh and her voice softens even more. "His face shows he did not enjoy his action, but they were the most prudent considering the circumstances. The danger is not yet over in this place."

Paggan is speaking as honestly and candidly as she can (which for a paladin is saying something :smallbiggrin:). It may not help Sage feel better, but she wants him to know how she feels.

Sxoa
2008-05-01, 05:58 PM
Miyuki examines the three entrances.

"If we take the far left one then we are at least moving after the necromancer. The downside is of course that we are moving after the necromancer. I vote that we move down that path."

fendrin
2008-05-02, 09:02 AM
Hekesh

Wiping his face clean(ish) with a corner of his cloak, Hekesh turns to face the others. He looks like he is about to say something to Sage, but then stops himself.

Straightening, he is once again all business.
"Let's try to learn a little more about our foe. I will go retrieve the body of the caster we have already slain. Lets us examine it and learn what we can. If I can have one or two others come with me, to assist and keep watch? Sage, you may want to stand back a ways. This will not be a pretty sight."

dyslexicfaser
2008-05-02, 01:45 PM
Edgar

Edgar shrugged. "I'll join you. Though I dislike giving the living magic user the time to prepare, I doubt there is a method of escape besides getting past us here. And it may indeed help us to study the other."

By the way PP: I have to say I'm rather enjoying having a guy in the party who isn't okay with the killing other people and taking their stuff that's old hat for the rest of us. It's refreshing. In other news: phat lewtz yay?

Proven_Paradox
2008-05-02, 05:04 PM
Sage gives an annoyed huff at Hekesh's words. He sounds bitter as he says, "Bit late for that... Do it quickly..."

WOO! LOOOOOOT!

TheMeanDM
2008-05-02, 10:05 PM
Edgar and Hekesh drag the body of the slain man closer to the tables.

A quick search of the remains turns up the following items:
-- a suit of chain mail, now split from the neck to the waist (ruined)
-- a small steel shield, painted black with faux silver "lightning bolts" painted across its "face"
-- an armor-piercing pick
-- a small bag that jingles with coins
-- remnants of a ruined silvery necklace
-- a small pouch of various things that look/smell/feel like components

make Listen checks, you two

dyslexicfaser
2008-05-02, 10:56 PM
Listen: [roll0]

Sxoa
2008-05-03, 01:25 AM
Miyuki begins the process of picking the orc corpses over for valuables. Distasteful work, but unfortunately a necessary evil until she could restore her lands.

fendrin
2008-05-03, 04:14 AM
Hekesh

(ooc: to be clear, my plan was to bring the body back to the party, then search it)

[roll0]

TheMeanDM
2008-05-03, 08:21 AM
Miyuki turns up:
-- four charred leather belt pouches (three jingle)
-- three intact leather belt pouches (three jingle)
-- seven longswords (well crafted, but not masterwork)
-- four charred (and useless) studded leather armors
-- three studded leather armors (intact, but bloody)

Sxoa
2008-05-03, 10:43 AM
Miyuki combines the contents of the three leather belt pouches into one of the intact ones which she pockets. The burned and ruined equipment she piles off to one side while the intact gear she lays on the table.

TheMeanDM
2008-05-03, 01:34 PM
It takes a few minutes for Miyuki to strip the corpses of their armor. She notes that as she combines them, the pouches contain some silvery and golden coins. The one she combines them into, however, contains a couple of small gems.

Proven_Paradox
2008-05-04, 05:22 PM
Sage turns to look at the caves as the others do their looting. He slowly wanders to the mouth of the one that had been webbed--pointedly not looking at the charred remains of the orcs--and looks down it, still carrying the torch he had before.

Spot/Listen: (1d20+1=20, 1d20+3=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1586906/)

Zimmia
2008-05-04, 05:40 PM
Paggan

Handling her scimitar a little worriedly, Paggan glances at the things returned from the magic user and then stands at the mouth of the tunnel, alert for a sign of the danger she is certain still lurks there.

spot: [roll0]
listen: [roll1]
edit: I wanted to roll some knowledge religion for the symbols on the shield, rolled a 22 in the OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4282692&postcount=144).

Sxoa
2008-05-04, 05:45 PM
As Sage walks off Miyuki follows him, standing guard.

fendrin
2008-05-04, 06:28 PM
Hekesh

Hekesh summons forth his magical sight and examines the objects on magical and symbolic levels. He also sifts through the bag of components, seeing if he can figure out what they might be intended for, and salvaging what he can use.

Another use of Arcane Atunement for Detect Magic.
Not sure what skill check(s) are appropriate for the symbols, so here are the likely candidates:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
Spellcraft for the components
[roll3]

Let me know if you need any more rolls.

dyslexicfaser
2008-05-05, 01:07 PM
No spellbook? Tough luck, PP

Edgar

Edgar leaves the frisking of the wizard to Hekesh, who seems to understand something of wizardry. Instead, he hefts the orc he had knocked unconscious earlier and, when Hekesh is done riffling the wizard's spell components, drags the green-skinned goon back into the light of the main room (if the orc weighs over 200 pounds, he's going to be dragged along the ground).

He had initially been planning to stash the unconscious orc behind the wine barrels and come back for him later, but Edgar knows that information about number and kind of enemies that lie ahead can be invaluable. "Does anyone speak Orc?" he wonders aloud.

Know: Religion [roll0] to see if he knows what Paggan knows

TheMeanDM
2008-05-05, 08:06 PM
(since everyone that has the skill rolled well enough...)

Talos.

The lightning bolt motif is rather...unique...among the gods.

Talos is also known as the Destroyer.

Talos inspires worship in those who fear the destructive power of nature. His followers are aligned chaotic evil, chaotic neutral, or neutral evil. Worshippers include barbarians, fighters, druids, and half-orcs. They believe in grabbing what they can when they can, for Talos may take their lives at any time. They believe in fearlessly embracing natural disaster; in doing so they demonstrate the power of Talos, who protects them from harm. They preach that only worship of Talos can protect against natural disasters, and at Talos' whim they hurl such disasters at foes.

Worshippers are wont to pursue wealth, luxury and wantonness. Many indulge in acts of random or spiteful violence, pillage and banditry. Talassan clerics attack in groups to raze settlements that attempt to resist them

Clerics of Talos are nicknamed "doom crows" because of their formal dress: they wear black robes and cloaks shot through with teardrops and jagged lines of gold and silver. High clergy wear blue-white ceremonial robes streaked with crimson. All clerics wear an eye patch.

Something that seems to be missing on the body is the eye patch....though the fellow's skull WAS split in two..so maybe it got 'lopped off' and went flying..?

Sxoa
2008-05-06, 10:22 PM
[presuming this info is relayed]
Miyuki sighs, "Great, doom cult fanatics. Thats just wonderful."

fendrin
2008-05-09, 10:23 AM
Hekesh

"Let's get this over with."

Proven_Paradox
2008-05-09, 03:49 PM
Sage steps back into the main room and says, "Indeed. The sooner we leave this place the better. Someone lead on; I'm not suited to being in front."

dyslexicfaser
2008-05-09, 06:05 PM
(OOC: I've got finals and research projects and such, so I'm gonna be scarce for a week or two.)

Edgar

Edgar shrugs and stashes his orc behind the wine barrels and points to the webbed tunnel with his chin. "Let's follow the necromancer's trail, then."

EDIT: If no one wants to go in first, Edgar will use another Turn Undead to give himself 6 new temporary HP and take the lead.

TheMeanDM
2008-05-09, 09:05 PM
The lights of the magical torches illuminate your way. About thirty steps down the tunnel there is a branch that opens up into a large, dead-end cave. There are a number of torches lining the walls, as well as a large brazier with a burning fire inside.

There are a number of make-shift sleeping 'beds'. Straw thrown under a thick blanket, it what it looks like. Taking a moment, you count twelve such 'beds'.

The tunnel also continues further straight ahead.

Sxoa
2008-05-10, 01:48 PM
"So we took out 6 orcs? That leaves at least another 6 for us to deal with. I'm presuming the spell casters have nicer apartments than this barracks."

Miyuki goes in and pokes around for anything obvious before the party moves on. She keeps on her guard while doing so of course.

search:[roll0]

TheMeanDM
2008-05-12, 01:19 PM
A few moments of brief searching, and Miyuki uncovers nothing ususual or really useful. A few ratty looking straw-stuffed pillows, some extra weapons (2x long swords, 2x daggers), and some cooking/dining utensils (a metal spit, carving knife, 15x metal plates and 15x wooden cups).

fendrin
2008-05-12, 02:24 PM
Hekesh

"Let's keep moving. We mustn't let that 'caster escape."

Hekesh continues down the corridor, scanning for mundane or magical cues to the location of their quarry.

OOC: I had intended for Hekesh to concentrate to maintain his Detect Magic (from scanning the deceased cleric), but realize now I had not said so earlier. If you feel it is appropriate, I will mark off another use of Arcane Atunement.

Detect Magic: poor man's See Invisibility :smallamused:

TheMeanDM
2008-05-12, 04:43 PM
There is nothing of note that Hekesh's magically enhanced eyes see, except for the glowing torches.

ooc:

The corridor is about 6' wide, mostly. You could fit two people shoulder to shoulder, if necessary.

Is there a marching order?

Sxoa
2008-05-13, 01:04 AM
My suggested marching order is Edgar in front, Hekesh behind (Its either or but Hekesh has a reach weapon). Followed by Paggan, Sage, Bresk, with Miyuki taking up the rear.

Miyuki
Miyuki reports her findings to the group, "We can collect these after we've cleared the tunnels." She heads to the back of the line, a hand firmly on her blade's hilt as she takes read guard.

Paggan
The holy knight gives a test chop with her sword and gestures with her shield, "After you Hekesh"
I'll play Paggan in a sort of minimalist fashion since I obviously don't want to hijack any character development. Mostly I'll just be rolling and describing action, rather than expounding on thoughts or even plain speech

Proven_Paradox
2008-05-13, 04:11 PM
Sage reflects on the battle for a moment--with a grim expression--and says to Miyuki, "There were two at the entrance and seven at the divide--so nine so far. If the cultists sleep here as well, then there is the remaining one and one other remaining. If not, three more orcs and the one cultist, unless the guardsmen mentioned killing any--I don't recall at the moment." His voice is flat and anxious.

He waits for the other to organize before taking his place near the back of the line.

dyslexicfaser
2008-05-15, 10:24 PM
Edgar

"So the necromancer still has minions to call upon," Edgar surmised. He moved forward, further down the same hall."I wonder how long they've been holed up here; this is quite a cave they've excavated."

Sxoa
2008-05-16, 01:19 AM
"Ah yes, good catch Sage."

After Edgar's comment Miyuki interjects, "...or found..."

Thanks for figuring out the number of them we've murdered. I was guessing with six and haven't had the time to go back and check the actual amount.

TheMeanDM
2008-05-16, 08:23 AM
(50 bonus XP to Sage for correct mathematics :smallsmile: )

Several minutes have passed since the demise of the orcs, minutes which involved the searching of bodies and beds.

As the two brave adventurers take up position, you begin moving forward into the tunnel. The tunnel goes forward a bit before splitting again, continuing south-east or branching off to the south-west.

(here's the full map, just for ease of description sake. the group is postioned at the four-way -- which I didn't adequately describe previously, sorry)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3105/2395306663_faf3759409.jpg

dyslexicfaser
2008-05-19, 05:52 PM
(OOC: Then, since no one else is volunteering, slow and steady - and paranoid - as she goes.)

Edgar

Edgar shrugs and chose their direction based on the long and time-honored tradition called 'picking completely at random', heading down the south-east fork.

TheMeanDM
2008-05-19, 06:02 PM
Proceeding down the tunnel, you find that it opens up into a similar sized cave, like the one you just finished investigating.

Along the walls at various points are the glowing magical torches. They provide some illumination for the cave, allowing you to see some details. In the middle of the cave is a stone fire-ring. Inside you see the ends of burnt logs, long since out.

It appears that at one time there were similar straw beds to what you saw earlier, you judge this by the stray straws that have been left behind on the ground in roughly bed-shaped outlines. There are seven such spots.

There doesn't appear to be anything else of note in this cave.

Proven_Paradox
2008-05-24, 08:44 PM
Sage sighs. "So, it looks like there are seven more. If the cultists were among those sleeping in the straw, then there is one cultist and eight orcs. If not, then ten more orcs and the cultist. And that assumes that those two we saw at the intersection are the only cultists."

dyslexicfaser
2008-05-25, 01:20 AM
Edgar

"I suppose we can hope some of them are out and about. It is starting to seem like we few are going to have our work cut out for us," Edgar said grimly. "We'll have to backtrack."

Sxoa
2008-05-28, 04:36 AM
"Astute observations by all..."
Unless there are any objections we backtrack to that last intersection and head into the main room

fendrin
2008-05-28, 08:03 AM
Hekesh

"We should move quickly, lest our prey escape and wreak further havoc."

OOC update: I have finished moving, but I won't have an internet connection at the new place until June 6th. That puts me in the position of either having the internet (at work), or my books (at home), but not both at the same time. I will try to get him written out on paper so that I can transcribe it online...

TheMeanDM
2008-05-28, 03:21 PM
As you "back" your way out into the main chamber, you see a cloaked and hooded figure moving past the large fire. Without missing a step the figure gestures, and a brownish/black object is tossed into the fire, sending up flying sparks into the air. The figure seems to not notice your reemergence into the cavern behind him as it continues to hurridly step toward the cave entrance.

(you are 60' away, and the figure is moving toward the entrance--what do you wish to do?)

Proven_Paradox
2008-05-28, 04:15 PM
Sage clamps his mouth shut as he sees the man appear. He does his best to identify what was thrown into the fire, while preparing to cast another spell.

Check type unknown: (1d20=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1608752/)

Since I have no idea what the check would be, I'mma just leave it generic. Arcana is +11, Spellcraft is +9, and Alchemy is +11.

TheMeanDM
2008-05-29, 09:50 AM
To Sage's eyes, it looks like it was a sack or a bag.

Sxoa
2008-05-29, 02:02 PM
Miyuki attempts to discern whether the bag has been destroyed or whether it was merely the logs being struck that sent up the sparks.
Spot? Unless I can just see it [roll0] (wait do you roll that? If so then disregard my roll)
My action will be based on whether I see it or not

TheMeanDM
2008-05-29, 09:14 PM
From this angle, it's hard to tell, but it seems like what would happen if something were thrown into a fire and disturbed the coals/fuel source, sending sparks into the air.

Proven_Paradox
2008-05-29, 11:12 PM
Sage looks to the others in the group and draws his spellbow, nodding to the cultist and holding up his left hand, ready to cast a spell.

dyslexicfaser
2008-05-30, 01:13 AM
Edgar

Edgar moves forward speedily. He'd like a few answers, and their mystery man might just be able to provide them. He calls out - quietly, he doesn't know how the cave might echo a true shout - to the cloaked figure rather than just laying him out like a sack of grain. Unusually restrained for Edgar; perhaps the horrifically slain orcs a few minutes previous had affected him more than he had first thought.

"Hold on a moment, sir," he says, "we were hoping we might ask you a few questions?"

If the guy looks particularly shifty or ready to run, Edgar will point out that while he had asked politely, the cutthroat gnome with the crossbow behind him should guarantee some answers, starting with what he just threw in the fire. (Edgar's mind would probably immediately jump to an ingested poison, because he's paranoid like that.)

fendrin
2008-05-30, 09:13 AM
Hekesh

That must be evidence being destroyed. We may need that.

Hekesh strides forth purposefully, then manifests a small bit of magic to draw the object out of the fire and into his waiting hand.

Casting Mage Hand. if the bundle is on fire, he will set it on the floor beside him rather than grab it.

TheMeanDM
2008-05-31, 10:37 AM
You magically float the flaming parcel onto the ground in front of you. It looks like a thin-skinned leather bag. There are a few spots where the fire has burned through.

It's a simple task to smother the fire.

In the meantime, the mysterious figure has hastened its way out of the cave.....

I'm surprised you didn't try to stop it..

Cure recurring villain theme music!

Proven_Paradox
2008-06-01, 09:56 AM
Sage seems annoyed that no one else has approached the man, and as he attempts to flee, the gnome casts a Grease spell under his feet. ((DC 15 reflex save or slip.))

TheMeanDM
2008-06-01, 10:38 AM
Sage casts his spell, but has misjudged the distance by quite a ways. The figure has completely disappeared from sight, having left the cave now.

a) Sage didn't move
b) the range was 60' to the man
c) the range on Greast is 25' + 5' / level (so 40')

:smallsmile:

Sxoa
2008-06-01, 04:33 PM
It is indeed a time for uncharacteristic actions, Edgar's lack of paranoia, Miyuki's hesitation, and Sage's error in numbers.

Miyuki realizes that despite her vastly greater speed she has no hope of catching the scoundrel in the maze of tunnels. She goes over to check the contents of the bag after Hekesh has put them out.
(in Mu) <"If only I was as quick on my feet as you are dear Hekesh. What have you saved from the flames now?">

fendrin
2008-06-02, 09:05 AM
Hekesh

Hekesh responds to the question in the same tongue in which it was asked.
(Mu)"Let's find out, shall we?"
He opens the bag and peers inside.

Proven_Paradox
2008-06-02, 11:55 AM
Sage curses to himself as his spell falls short, and bolts out to follow the man as quickly as he can. He stops when he sees the others remaining put, and says, with a tone of disbelief, "We need to follow him and stop him! What are you doing?"

TheMeanDM
2008-06-02, 12:27 PM
The contents of the sack crinkle and rustle as you open it. A fair amount of grey-white smoke wafts up from the open sack.

There is a faint red-glow through the smoke as you see some crumpled sheets of parchment smouldering.

Reaching in would most likely cause you to be burned from the heat, so you tip the bag over onto the stone floor.

A fair amount of ash comes out, and three sheets of parchment, somewhat burned, are also discharged.

It looks like corespondence between two people.

First sheet reads:

Harris,

Your time in that hole is nearly over. But before you pack up and head here, I want you to send the half-breeds for a quick little visit.

Threshold only has about ninety soldiers, and they rarely, if ever, patrol the riverside of the city. That is where they should. Instruct them to deliver the enclosed “message” to that b-itch Toriskopa at the temple.

Tell them to move fast, kill quickly, and start lots of fires. I want that town shaking with fear because of what I’m going to do to them. I want to feel the terror around me when I set foot within that stinking hole and call down Talos’ blessed lightning upon Chauntea’s cattle. If there are any losses, write them off as “internal feuds” in your next report. That will satisfy Tanatha’s curiosity.

I am going to raze that town and take my revenge before we depart. They're going to pay....pay so very dearly.

Tanatha and her benefactor want us all ready to move within the next 2 months, so we need to act soon.

I’ll arrange transport through Fat Tony for afterwards. Just be sure that your men have enough “provisons” to make the journey. We don't need them causing trouble because they're hungry or bored.

Also, I’ve got another shipment of equipment coming in a fortnight. Have the men come pick it up as usual. I’ll be speaking to Tanatha about our supplier. His excuses are growing tiresome and his prices are making me sick.

Our benefactor’s money can be better spent. Negative propaganda against one’s current ruler can be bought fairly cheap—it doesn’t take much gold to start the gossip-mongers tongues wagging. And, the distraction that even a fake scandal can provide will help draw attention away from our activities. We must use all the tools available to succeed. Remember, we're hunting a dragon, Harris. It's going to take every tool we have to kill him.

For the glory of Talos

Elwyn

This letter takes up two of the pages. The third contains the following letter, what seems to be the makings of a reply.

Elwyn,
Gurtulmek and his warriors are on their way. I sent them out last night. They'll do their job, and join up with you at the keep.

You'll be happy to know that we killed some of their guards the other day. They were sent out to look for a wagon that we looted.....

The letter ends there, abruptly.
[/I]

Sxoa
2008-06-02, 01:45 PM
At Sage's words (presumably before the letter is read) Miyuki responds, I will help you look Sage but these tunnels are a maze. He or she has lived here for some time it appears while we have just arrived. At the first fork we will no longer be able to follow him with any degree of certainty.
We haven't explored the left portion of the map and so we don't know if they're dead ends or not. We can presume they end somewhere but there could round abouts just like in the right portion.

TheMeanDM
2008-06-04, 09:39 AM
Bresk asks "Whatsss that sssay, Sssage?"

dyslexicfaser
2008-06-04, 06:42 PM
Edgar

Edgar stared, unseeing, at the smoldering parchment. "Damn... damn, damn, damn... so that is why there are so many beds and so few orcs..." When he heard Sage's words, he shook his head as if to clear it. "Let's try to find him quickly anyway, but I think that man just dropped in importance. Threshold may be being put to the torch as we speak." he trailed off, dark thoughts evident on his face.

fendrin
2008-06-05, 10:48 AM
Hekesh

"I for one am for abandoning this complex and heading back to threshold at top pace. Our warning could save many lives, if we get there soon enough. The 'message' to be sent to Toriskopa is not here, so it must already be on it's way. We have no time to lose."

In Mu he says to Miyuki: "Khaldun, if he is in Threshold, is likely in the riverside district."

Sxoa
2008-06-06, 02:12 PM
"Lets go! Every second puts lives at risk!"

Miyuki heads for the exit at top pace, and once outside makes her way around the hill to Rakuda. Mounting up she heads back to town as fast as the beast will carry her.

TheMeanDM
2008-06-06, 03:47 PM
Bresk and Paggan both follow Miyuki's lead, heading out of the cave.

When you arrive to the spot where you stowed your horses...you find that one of them is missing.

Looks like the figure is a thief as well as leader of a doom cult!

Proven_Paradox
2008-06-07, 01:11 AM
Sage nods in agreement with Edgar's words once the letter is read out, and follows along as quickly as his short legs will take him.

Upon seeing the horse missing, mutters a curse under his breath. "I'll ride with someone; I doubt my weight would much of an extra burden for these horses."

fendrin
2008-06-07, 02:24 PM
Hekesh

Hekesh grabs the gnome and deposits him behind Miyuki.
"Hold on tight, this will be a rough ride."
He then mounts his own mare and heads off towards Threshold at full gallop, holding the reigns in one hand and his guisarme in the other.

I figure Miyuki is the lightest, considering her size and lack of armor. If She has already left by then, he'll put Sage behind Edgar.

dyslexicfaser
2008-06-07, 03:52 PM
Edgar

Edgar takes a horse as well and, following Hekesh's example, rides hell-for-leather towards Threshold. Though he keeps his peace, he suspects that they will arrive far, far too late.

Ah, MeanDM knows the surest way to have a group of heroes chase a villain to the ends of the earth and beyond: have him take something of theirs.

TheMeanDM
2008-06-08, 03:55 PM
It is not long before you reach the road from Dagford to Threshold. Now that they are upon more solid footing, your horses are able to pick up slightly more speed.

The setting sun turns into a warm fading glow.

The glow then gives way into darkness as you press your mounts onward, driving them.

The leagues fly by as the stars emerge in the inky blackness above.

Then there is a distant glow upon the horizon to the south.

Quickly, coming into view, you see that there is either a large fire or several smaller fires...you are unsure which...lighting up the sky in the distance.

You look at each other with growing concern and trepidation.

Pushing your mounts to their limits you speed them onward, and soon enough find your worst fears confirmed.

Threshold is burning.

That is, at least, there are parts of Threshold that are burning.

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/1444/po30as.jpg

Proven_Paradox
2008-06-10, 03:28 PM
"Damnation! We're too late!" Sage cries at seeing the town burning. He looks around to each of the others, nigh panic stricken.

TheMeanDM
2008-06-10, 04:18 PM
You see people running back and forth across the main street through town.

It looks like the main area of fire is on the eastern side of the town. It's hard to determine just how many structures are on fire from this distance, but there are at least three.

There also appears to be one on the western side of town.

You hear a woman's scream, and then see a young lady running from an alley that goes east/west. You see her look behind her and trip in the middle of the street.

Looming behind her is a hulking humanoid figure. With the light of the fire overhead coloring the skin of the creature red, it would seem like a demon from hell has chased her.

As the beast raises its sword two-handed over its head, suddenly, a spear pierces the back of the creature and explodes through its chest. The woman is sprayed with blood as the man-thing sinks to its knees.

From the alley runs the old guardsman that escorted you to the ambush site.

"Get to findin' them bastards or get to fightin' the fires!" he yells to you "Don't be standin there all slack jawed!"

He places a boot on the back of the creature and unceremoniously pulls the spear out.

dyslexicfaser
2008-06-10, 04:47 PM
Edgar

Once again, Edgar strengthens himself (Divine Vigor, +6 temp HP/+10ft) in preparation for battle.

"I think the monsters present the bigger threat," the cleric reasoned. "There are five of us; I suggest we split up to cover more ground quickly, one group covering the west side of town and the other the east. Save what allies you can, kill what enemies you can."

fendrin
2008-06-12, 07:12 AM
Hekesh

As he dismounts Hekesh says "There's not much I can do about the fires by myself. Once the streets are safe we can organize a fire brigade. Keep your senses sharp and do what you can to help people however you can."

With that he heads off into the streets, eyes and ears alert for cries for help or attackers.

Sxoa
2008-06-14, 12:40 PM
Miyuki wishes Hekesh luck and stands with Sage, presuming the wizard will want a more martially oriented bodyguard.

dyslexicfaser
2008-06-14, 03:07 PM
Edgar

Edgar dipped his head in something like a bow towards Miyuki and the rest, and followed Hekesh's footsteps deeper into the town through streets choked with fire and raiders.

Proven_Paradox
2008-06-14, 09:07 PM
Sage nods to Miyuki nervously. "I'm not so keen on splitting up, but there's no time to discuss it... Lead on milady."

Sxoa
2008-06-16, 10:22 AM
Miyuki bows her head towards the mage and begins walking into town. She keeps an eye out for both enemy forces and areas where her or Sage's specific skills could be useful.

TheMeanDM
2008-06-17, 11:52 AM
Edgar/Fendrin:

You each rush down the streets, keeping a wary eye open for any sign of attackers. You make your way toward the eastern side of the town, the place where the fire seems to be doing the most damage.

As you approach, you hear the loud voices of Captain Stephenson and Mayor Kjeldoran, each coming from different directions.

"Keep throwing!" you hear the mayor yell. "We've almost got it!"

Rounding a building you see that there are three buildings on fire. One looks like a warehouse, and the other two seem to be homes. There are four lines of grim-faced men and women leading from the houses back to the east, presumably toward the lake. Each person is working feverishly passing buckets of water back and forth to and from the lake.

The two houses are burning, but not fully engulfed. The warehouse, however, seems to be a total loss.

"Concentrate on the houses!" the Captain shouts to the line working on the warehouse.

The line shifts, and as more buckets are brought to fight the fire, it is only a matter of minutes before the fire on the houses is doused.

TheMeanDM
2008-06-23, 11:01 AM
I think the site is finally accessible/stable (for now!).

Miyuki reaches the burning building in the western section of town. It looks like it was a home at some point, but has been completely engulfed.

There isn't a bucket brigade here, however, as there is no readily available watersource.

Fortunately, the home is fairly isolated, and the fire seems to only be consuming the home, rather than spreading further.

Proven_Paradox
2008-06-23, 04:02 PM
Sage looks around him in a panic. He speaks without a space between his words, so rapidly he is difficult to understand. "Blast it all! The one day I prepared only spells that would be good for combat is the day we desperately need me to have prepared about five hundred casting of create water! Even then, a mere two or three gallons of water would be hardly sufficient to quench these flames, but 'twould be better than the ABSOLUTE NOTHING I can do about it now!"

dyslexicfaser
2008-06-23, 04:28 PM
(OOC: Yeah, I've never seen GitP down for so long before, but it looks like it's a-okay now.)

Edgar

"Sir Kjeldoran!" he called, he and Hekesh approaching as the house's flames were doused. "Where can we be of use?"

He thought that the Mayor, having been in the thick of things and knowing the town intimately, might be able to send them where they were most needed.

TheMeanDM
2008-06-24, 08:47 AM
Wiping the sweat from his forehead, the Mayor comes over to talk to you.

"I think we've got this under control, finally. Not much we could do for the warehouse, and thankfully everyone got out of their homes."

He then pauses a moment, as he realizes who he is talking to.

"Edgar? Back so soon?" he asks

fendrin
2008-06-24, 12:21 PM
Hekesh

Hekesh sighs.
"The bandits are more organized than we initially realized. This was but one branch of their forces. Their leader has a grudge against Threshold and one Toriskopa... Edgar! What fools we have been. We must go to the temple. Mayor, what is the quickest path?"

Once the Mayor gives the directions, Hekesh heads off at a dead run to the temple.

OOC:
I still haven't rebuilt Hekesh... I have been distracted by my shiny new 4e books. I deserve 50 lashes with a wet noodle.
I will do that ASAP (probably not until tomorrow night at the earliest :smallfrown:).

Edit: I meant I will rebuild Hekesh ASAP, not self-flagellate with pasta. :smalltongue:

Sxoa
2008-06-24, 02:59 PM
"I feel as helpless a you Sage. One cannot cut a fire down with a blade...
Miyuki looks at the fire, somewhat entranced by it, shaking her head she continues,
"This house seems fairly isolated and the flames are unlikely to spread, perhaps we should try to find the others or press onwards.
spot checks to see if notice anything (unlikely), I have a +1 bonus

Sxoa
2008-06-24, 03:07 PM
"I feel as helpless a you Sage. One cannot cut a fire down with a blade...
Miyuki looks at the fire, somewhat entranced by it, shaking her head she continues,
"This house seems fairly isolated and the flames are unlikely to spread, perhaps we should try to find the others or press onwards.
spot checks to see if notice anything (unlikely), I have a +1 bonus

TheMeanDM
2008-06-28, 08:16 AM
Was trying to post this yesterday, but the site was being difficult :P

Sorry for the pause, folks.

Some of you may know this, some may not: my mom has terminal lung cancer (diagnosed in April). She had a small stroke about 6 weeks ago. She went to the hospital Tuesday night and was admitted because she wasn't feeling "right".

My wife and I came down that night and the docs did all their tests over the past two days, and determiend that sometime between Sunday-Tuesday she has had 3 or 4 more strokes all across her brain.

She's doing a bit better than she was on Tuesday, but she's not going to recover 100% (even if she had more than the 6-12 months that they feel she has left).

This was my first chance to get close to a computer, and not sure when my next will be (maybe tomorrow, if we go home tonight---we're about 2 hours from home).

Thanks for your understanding!

Mean

Sxoa
2008-06-28, 08:41 AM
Thoughts and prayers man.

Take your time, no worries from this end.

fendrin
2008-06-28, 01:40 PM
I echo Sxoa's sentiments.
Take whatever time you need.

dyslexicfaser
2008-06-29, 02:37 PM
Aye.

Much as I enjoy the game, some things take precedence.

TheMeanDM
2008-07-08, 09:29 AM
Thanks everyone for your patience, and hopefully sticking with me through this :smallbiggrin:

Here's the latest:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4549045&postcount=64

Now, back to our regularly scheduled game!

"Toriskopa? She's the head priestess at the temple of Chauntea." Mayor Kjeldoran says, wiping sweat from his forehead with the back of his hand.

"Captain!" he yells out. "Take them to the temple of Chauntea, and hurry!"

The Captain nods, casting a glance at the dying fires.

"Now!" The mayor reiterates.

"Follow me." he says, and then begins to run toward the west part of town.

The three of you pass by the others, who are helplessly watching some isolated buildings burning.

Proven_Paradox
2008-07-08, 11:07 AM
Sage sees the others running and quickly tries to catch up. "You look as though you're going somewhere with a purpose. Where are you heading?"

Sxoa
2008-07-08, 11:09 AM
Miyuki sees the others running and follows, presuming they're being more productive. She figures she can get the details later...