PDA

View Full Version : The World of Athema (IC)

Pages : [1] 2 3

TheMeanDM
2008-01-31, 04:12 PM
CHAPTER 1:
No Good Deed

The community of Threshold is welcoming you. The quiet town, nestled on the shores of Lake Windrush, seems quite inviting. The people you’ve met as you’ve made your way through town have greeted you with either a smile or a nod of the head, acknowledging your presence in their town.

It would seem that these simple folk take a great measure of pride in their town. You’ve noticed it to be neat, free of ‘trash’ and the cobblestone streets are quite smooth and even, unlike some places you have been.

When you entered the town, two guardsmen dressed in leather jackets met you. Your keen eyes noticed silvery rings sewn onto the leather for added protection. They each wore wide-brimmed steel helmets that block the setting sun from their eyes.

They didn’t challenge anyone entering the town, but they did keep a watchful eye upon those who were openly wearing weapons.

“Welcome to Threshold. If you’re staying, then the Old Boot is the place for you. A fine performer we have tonight. Biggest building on main street, can’t miss it!” One or the other guardsmen would say occasionally as the travelers passed by.

It is near the end of the day when you entered town. Your keen ears pick out the sound of mothers calling out the names of their children, announcing that it was time for their young ones to wash for supper.

The guards were most certainly right. The Old Boot was by far the largest building on the main road through town. It was a large, three-story behemoth of a building. It almost seemed out of place for such a town…almost.

A large wooden door provides your entrance. Flanking the door are two large, sectioned windows made from glass. The owner must be doing well, if he can afford such a luxury as glass windows.

As large as The Old Boot appeares on the outside, it was that and perhaps more on the inside. Numerous wooden tables and matching chairs fill the inside of the common room. A small performing stage takes up part of the northern wall. There is a large table with several chairs in front of the northeastern window. A matching table and chairs occupies the southeastern corner. A five-foot high wall provides a measure of privacy for anyone who sits in this area.

Directly across from the entrance is one of the largest, most beautifully crafted bars you’ve ever seen. The wood is a deep red in color, and polished to a bright sheen. Engraved upon the front of the bar are scenes of hunters chasing various animals through the woods. The detail put into the engraving is amazing. The top of the bar is not wood, but a sheet of black stone with flecks of white and grey inhabiting the stone. It is very smooth and very polished.

Upon the wall behind the bar is a large set of shelves, crafted from the same deep red wood of the bar. Upon it are numerous bottles of what you could only guess to be alcohol. The liquids within them seem to span the spectrum of the rainbow.

A young man stands behind the bar, casually drying a copper mug. He has short black hair. An equally dark goatee frames his mouth. He catches your eye as you enter, and welcomes you with a warm smile.

The common room is well lit. Globes of softly glowing magical light occupy brass sconces at regular intervals along the four walls.

There are a number of patrons occupying the tables. Most look like simple folk: farmers enjoying a drink after a hard day of work, a merchant or two partaking of a dinner after closing shop. Three young women--a blonde, a red head, and a girl with raven hair-- flit around the common room, taking drink orders and delivering food. They get along quite well with the patrons, it would seem, laughing and joking with them as they carry out their serving duties.

But there is someone else, you notice, noticing you. In the far back corner is a small table, and upon it is what looks to be a chess board laid out and ready to play.

No, you look again.

It’s a regular sized table, but the man seated at it is enormously large. A mop of dark brown hair crowns his massive head. Broad, swooping shoulders end in massive arms as thick as a tree trunk. The man’s hands are just as enormous as the rest of him. From the looks of it, each hand could encompass a man’s head, and with the strength of his arms—well, it wasn’t a pleasant thought.

He smiles at you, though—a warm, welcoming smile.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2267/2210281658_70a9249637_o.jpg

“Have a seat, anywhere you please, dear.” Says the red headed waitress as she passes by. “We’ll be with you in just a few.”

Layout of the common room of the Old Boot Inn.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2188/2209489057_5b70d0baf7.jpg

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-31, 04:51 PM
Trillick "Sage" Jurel

Sage enters the doors and gives a pleasant smile as the waitress passes by. He stands before the door for a few moments, taking in the beautiful building with an obviously impressed expression. He thinks to himself, "Shame a spark in the wrong spot would probably blow the whole place up... This place needs a gnome's touch!"

After taking a moment to take in the scenery, Sage begins looking for a table, preferably a gnome-sized one, near the stage and the bar. Failing that, he'll simply climb into a chair in the same area and wait for a waitress to take his order.

TheMeanDM
2008-01-31, 05:12 PM
It is just a matter of moments before the young blonde woman scoots over to your table.

"Good eve to you, sir! What a fine night for a bite!" she says, with genuine...joy...in her tone. She is of average height for a human female. Her blond hair is curled slightly, and hangs down to her shoulders. She has pretty blue eyes, that sparkle like sapphires. She wears a pleated dark-grey skirt, which descends slightly past her knees. Her blouse is a simple white, and tied over top is a dark brown apron.

"We've two specials for dinner, if you are interested. A venison steak paired with potatos and fresh tomatoes. Or, you can have some fresh caught fish from the lake. The misses makes it with a wonderful crust, and the vegetables she serves it with...!" she makes an "mmm ummmm" sound, smacking her lips together.

Seribro
2008-01-31, 05:55 PM
His feet hurt from the long walk and his head felt odd due to the unnatural amount of sunshine it had gotten. Bresk wasn't exactly used to the open road, since he had lived his entire life in the densely packed swamps just West of these "human" lands. Half way he had to start walking beside the road rather then on it since the hard stones had simply became to painful for his bare feet. But now that he was in town, he would have little choice in that matter. Also his shoulder had become a bit sore by the rubbing of the leather armor pressed by the weight of his knapsack. It wasn't like he was weak, no, far from it. But he simply wasn't used to travel far or to wear anything other then his loincloth.
Which was another weird thing. Many of the humans he had passed along the road seemed to be thinking it was inappropriate or something. Hell, it wasn't like he was showing it wide open now was he? But although none had dared to mention anything about it to him, he kept seeing those gazes going down at the hump. Some in a slight snicker, others in disaproval and there had even been a few ladies that actually seemed attracted by it. Not that amongst his own people size was meaningless, but what was a human woman hoping to achieve with it? These human-things were just weird... And what was it with the small ones he saw ever so now and then? He understood that beards were a sign of manliness and adultness amongst them, but it sometimes seemed as if their children were just as hairy. When he once asked one about it, he was all offended and begun claiming he was a "halfling". Was that some kind of inferior sub-breed?

Bresk had just made his way to the bar and had almost shaken off his thoughts about how odd these creatures were when his eye noticed another sub-species he had never seen before. Or at least so he thought, for the man was way bigger then any other human he had thus far encountered. And why was he staring at him like that? Did he just show his teeth? Bresk looked around to see if the man was actually non-verbally communicating with somebody else, but couldn't see anyone else that seemed to look back at the man. Again he turned his head towards the big lad in the corner and concluded that it really was looking at him. With suspicion and half squeezed eyes the large lizardman stood back up from his barseat and walked over to the man at his table.
"Exssscuzzze me. You be ssstaring at me?"
The tongue of these human-kin was still hard to control and although the shaman thought him many words already, forming sentences was still hard in this odd tongue. He had done his best to not make it sound accusing but rather questioning in an uncertain matter. Never the less, he good only guess at how it would be perceived.

dyslexicfaser
2008-01-31, 05:58 PM
Edgar

Edgar studies the layout of the inn for a moment before deciding on a table near the giant's, hidden from view of the front doors and windows and conveniently near the kitchen (a handy escape route). He sits with his back to the wall and nods politely to the enormous man sitting a few seats away from him.

He checks the state of his finances, and frowns doubtfully. He has not found a well-paying job in some time, and his wallet is very thin. He doubts he can afford even the price of a meal.

Threeshades
2008-01-31, 06:15 PM
The red-maned dwarf with the horned helmet walks right to the bar without seeming to even notice anyone of the waitresses or the unusually large man in the corner. He climbs up a chair at the bar and slams his flat hand onto it pulling out his drinking-horn. "Gimme yer finest ale, barkeep!" Kilbain shouts to the man behind the bar in a festive tone, presenting the horn to him in anticipation to get it filled. "I really be feelin' like a good drink after that walk."

Zimmia
2008-01-31, 06:30 PM
Paggan

The ride for the last several days has been beautiful. As they closed in on Lake Windrush a calm seemed to come over the both of them. They passed through the gates with a friendly smile to the guard at the gate and on into the town proper. In its neat-ness and proper-ness it reminded of her home, which brought a happy smile to her face.

Paggan dismounted outside the blacksmith and asked direction to a stable of quality. She acquired stabling for Alphie for the night and brushed him thoroughly once his tack was removed, humming gently to herself. After he had been fed and watered she bid him goodnight and followed the stable keepers directions to the Old Boot. Now that she was carrying all her things, she had a much more war-like appearance.

She entered the Old Boot and removed her helmet, shaking out her bangs and loose whisps of hair like spun silver. She looked around the comfortable inn and then crossed to the bar to ask about lodging for the night, then ordering a bottle of wine which she takes to a table near the door where she can put down her things and do a bit of people-watching at the same time.

Sxoa
2008-01-31, 07:40 PM
Miyuki first found lodging for Rakuda, making sure to tip the stable boy for extra good care. There's more where that came from if Rakuda likes you when I come back for him.. Upon entering the common room of the inn she scans the patrons, looking to see if anyone is armed or would be a worthy test of her skills.

She goes and makes arrangements at the bar for staying the night, paying in advance and inquiring as to the whereabouts of one Dromar Forgemaster. After hearing the menu for the evening she asks for the fish and boiling water to be delivered to her table. Her business taken care of she looks for a free chair. Seeing the giant of a man staring Miyuki makes her way over, Is the game reserved for someone else or free to all who wish to play? Do you mind if I share your table for my evening meal?

TheMeanDM
2008-01-31, 07:45 PM
Bresk:

The large man opens his mouth wider, his teeth showing further.

"My my! I can't recall the last time I drew such a crowd!" the huge man chuckles, his voice and laughter deep, like rolling thunder.

"No, good sir. I am not staring. It is rude to stare. I am greeting you with a smile." he says to the lizardman.

He extends his hand to the chair next to his, inviting the lizardman to sit.

"Please, sit if you like, we can talk more about...smiling....and other things., as I engage in a battle of wits with my other new friend." he chuckles deeply. He pushes his chair backward and stands.

He is truly a mountain of a man. He is well over eight feet in height, towering over both the lizardman and the foreign woman. He is a mass of muscle, his torso thick and broad.

"I am called Kreg, and it would be an honor to play you."

Kilbain:

"Absolutely, master dwarf!" the young man behind the bar says with enthusiasm. He grins at Kilbain "Do you want the finest human ale? Gnome ale? Dwarven ale? I won't even mention the elven ale." he says, his grin widening as he drops a wink at Kilbain. "Stupid question, I know. Dwarven ale..any dwarven ale, is the best ale." he bends over, his head going level with the bartop. In a moment he rises up with a copper mug topped with strong-smelling foam.

"Do you want that cold?" he asks, with a hint of....hope...in his voice.

"Ah, and wine for the lady. If I may recommend something, I would say that you can't go wrong with the Optio Red. Most haven't heard of it, being a small town in Allitur. Excellent grapes they grow in that area...excellent!" he says as he turns his back and grabs a dark red bottle from off the shelf. He reaches beneath the bar and produces a fine crystal goblet.

"So where do you two hail from?" he asks, uncorking the wine bottle and pouring the deep red wine into the goblet.

Edgar:

The young red-headed waitress comes over to your table. She has a lovely, face and curley red hair cut short, just above her jawline. She is dressed like the other two waitresses: plain dark-grey pleated skirt, white blouse, and brown apron.

"Hello, good sir. Welcome to the Old Boot. Are you interested in food, drink, or perhaps both?" she asks in a pleasant voice.

Zimmia
2008-01-31, 07:54 PM
Paggan

"Well I have been traveling for quite some time now, my home is away to the east in Trillian," Paggan says as she takes the glass of wine and holds it up to the light. "Although I must say that the countryside around here certainly is out of the ordinary." She breaths in the flavor of the wine a moment and then takes a sip and is pleasantly suprised. "And I could say the same for this wine as well." She looks to the Dwarf near her and gives a half-smile.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-31, 09:13 PM
Sage

Sage grins and tips his blue, feathered hat to the waitress as she approaches. He places the small headgear on the table and runs a hand through his gray hair for a moment in thought. "I can get a steak just about anywhere... I think I'll have the fish, along with whatever ale or wine the house recommends. If you've some around, I'd like a wedge of ceddar as well, the sharper the better."

fendrin
2008-01-31, 09:15 PM
Hekesh

The door to the inn opens and a billowing wind carries in an ever-so-subtle hint of a scent, of salt, cinnamon, and dryness. Through the doorway walks a dusky skinned man with loose flowing clothes in sandy colors. He carries a guisarme over his shoulder.

He walks to seat near the fireplace and rests his guisarme against the wall. He slides his pack from his back and sets it on the floor next to the guisarme.

Pulling the chair out from the table he sits.

The fire is nice. These northern lands are so cold.

Sxoa
2008-01-31, 09:37 PM
Miyuki bows formally before taking a seat. She glances at the lizardman next to her before beginning the game. "Thank you Kreg, I am Bayushi Miyuki."
In case it's relevant who wins...uh intelligence check? [roll0]

TheMeanDM
2008-01-31, 10:08 PM
"Bayushi" Kreg says, with a bit of difficulty. "That is a name that I won't forget any time soon. It has a ring of being quite far from here."

He moves the pieces on the board, in counter to yours.

[roll0]

In just a few moves, you have captured his king without losing a single piece to his meager offensive.

"Well, that was certainly unexpected." he chuckles good naturedly. "A move that I have not seen before." he grins wide. "Not only does fair Bayushi have a name I won't forget, she has a chess move that will be very memorable as well." he smiles warmly. "I must ask for a rematch, or I won't be able to show my face around town once word spreads of my quick demise." He leans in closer to the chessboard. "I have a reputation to maintain, you see." he says with mock innocence.

"What brings you to our fair town of Threshold, Bayushi?" he asks, as he makes his opening move.

TheMeanDM
2008-01-31, 10:16 PM
Hekesh:

A young woman with hair the color of obsidian glides up to your table. She wears her hair in a tail, which hangs to the middle of her back. Her skin is not as dark as yours, but it appears darker than most other people you have encountered this far north. Her eyes are a sparkling green.

"What be your pleasure this evening, good sir" she says in common "We've two specials tonight: venison steak with vegetables or fresh fish from the lake with vegetables." She is dressed in a simple dark-grey pleated skirt, a white blouse, and a dark brown apron.

dyslexicfaser
2008-01-31, 10:49 PM
Edgar

The monk smiled politely at the lovely young waitress. "Water, perhaps?" he suggested. "Something to wash the dust of the road from my throat."

He relaxed into his seat and watched the small gathering a few tables over, but kept to himself.

Sxoa
2008-02-01, 01:18 AM
Gladly sir. Tragically I am here to deliver ill tidings of a death in the family to the local smith, a Mr. Dromar Forgemaster. His distant cousin Valsun Stormforge was murdered. Valsun's brother, Heldin and I were able to avenge his death, but that alas does not bring back the dead. Let us not dwell on tragic things though. You say you have a reputation for chess? What else do you have a reputation for around these parts? I would think a man of your stature would collect tales faster than most.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-01, 07:18 AM
Edgar:

The young woman nods. "Alright. Water it is. Maybe you'll have an appetite for something stronger during the show." she smiles and winks at Edgar in a playful way.

Bayushi:

Kreg chuckles softly. "Tis true, a man of my stature does collect certain...tales. Why, did you know that just last year I strangled a dragon to death?" he smiles. "I didn't even know that I had done that. Must have been in my sleep." he grins.

[roll0]

He moves a piece on the board, countering yours.

"Well, Master Dromar may be here tonight, depending on how much work he has. I would suggest waiting until tomorrow to tell him, though.

Threeshades
2008-02-01, 09:07 AM
"As cold as the mountains of the north themselves!", Kilbain says, "That's me home."
He holds up his drinking-horn "Fill it in here, lad"

TheMeanDM
2008-02-01, 09:21 AM
Kilbain:

"Great!" the young man says, positively beaming.

From somewhere beneath the bar he brings out a slender wooden stick.

He points it at the copper mug, and mutters something. A thin blue ray emanates from the tip of the stick and envelopes the tankard. The blue glow subsides, and there appears to be white frost on the outside of the mug.

"I couldn't wait to try that!" the young man beams. "Dad thought it might be good to have cold drinks for the hot months. Being spring, I wasn't sure anyone would want it, but thanks to you, I could test it!"

He puts the wand down and takes the drinking horn from Kilbain. Tipping the contents of the chilled mug into the horn, he then passes it back to Kilbain.

Paggan:

The young man simles at you. "So our master dwarf is from the northlands, and you're from Trillian. What brings you here to our sleepy little town? Are you fans of Mikel Schlessing? He's performing here tonight, you know."

Seribro
2008-02-01, 09:49 AM
At first when Bresk tries to sit down, he begins a match of his own. A wrestling match with his tail and the back of his chair. Which he sadly and to his great frustration loses utterly. He looks the chair over for a moment and then decides all the humanoids are just using their chair the wrong way around, so he turns it with the back to the table and finally sits down, legs wide, tail dangling behind and using the back of the chair to lean on.
His eyes follow the movements of the pieces carefully. At first the patterns seem completely random, but then he begins to figure that both players use the same "randomness". The little guys always move straight toward the enemy, but no more then one step at a time, the towers allways move straight but in any direction and distance desired, the tall ones allways move diagonally. But the horse-like pieces still seem to make odd movements and what is this "check mate"? She just called? When the match ends, he still doesn't quiet see why the big guy just lost.

"You ssstill have rocksss left on plate, yessss? Gwhy you just lossst then?"
Bresk asks to the big man in his clumsy common tongue.

fendrin
2008-02-01, 10:06 AM
Hekesh

Two specials? This place is much finer than most of the places I have stayed on this journey.
"Water first please, to clear my throat. And the fish, please. It is not often that I get to eat fish, where I am from. A glass of wine, with the fish, please. Whatever kind you feel is best with the fish."

From across the room, Hekesh hears a familiar name.
He looks around, and sees only one person to whom the name could belong. He is unsure, however, as the person is facing away from him, and it has been a few years. Not to mention that the person's companions are rather distracting. A very large smiling man and a human-sized and roughly human-shaped lizard. Hekesh gets up and walks over to them.

"Miyuki?"

TheMeanDM
2008-02-01, 10:07 AM
Bresk:

"The big man is my king, my...chief." Kreg explains. "If Bayushi captures my king..." he pauses momentarily as Bayushi announces check mate, again. "...like she just did, then I lose. That is how you lose the game."

He resets his pieces. "You are from the swamps, yes?" he asks the lizardman.

Threeshades
2008-02-01, 10:34 AM
Kilbain looks at the ale inside the horn a bit puzzled. He was never one to trust magic tricks very far.
"Well that be one interesting way ta cool yer drinks."
He glances at the barkeep and then takes a careful sip. Which in dwarven terms means, he gulps down a whole mouth full of the ale.

Seribro
2008-02-01, 10:43 AM
Yesss, I am. I not have been in human-landzzz long yet. Many thingsssstill be sstrangzzze to me. Forgive me azzzkin but you be a sssubzpeciess of the humanz? You ssseem muchss bigger then mossst I have ssseen.
Bresk glances some more at the chess pieces nodding as he begins to understand the way the game works. Although it does still sem strange to him that the entire tribe falls when the chief gets captured. Normally they would just asign a new chief, wouldn't they? But then again, such things could cost some time indeed, so perhaps there was logics to it after all.

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-01, 11:35 AM
Sage

Out of the corner of his eye, Sage spots a blue beam shot from the bar. Naturally curious about the light, Sage stands in his chair and sweeps his hat off the table, turning to the waitress and saying, "Many apologies, miss, but I think I shall be moving to the bar for a bit... When the food is prepared, just set it wherever I happen to be, if you don't mind." He gives her a pleasant smile before hopping to the floor and quickly walking (almost skipping?) to the bar.

Once there, he takes a moment to climb up on a barstool next to the dwarf, saying "Pardon me, barkeep." His voice strains as he struggles to climb up onto the stool. Once up, he simply stands on the seat and leans against the bar. "Mind if I inquire as to what that light I just saw was? Unless I miss my guess, it was a spell of sorts..."

Rolls:Just some pre-emptive checks on the probable wand there.

Knowledge-Arcana: (1d20+11=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1479099/)
Spellcraft: (1d20+9=26) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1479100/)

TheMeanDM
2008-02-01, 11:43 AM
(sorry, pp)

The girl nods at you, and walks back to a door, which must lead to the kitchen.

The young man behind the bar nods emphatically at you. "Aye, my dad had some gnome wizard frind of his make this for him. All it does is cool stuff down, a bit. Like I was telling these two fine folks, we thought that with the upcoming summer months, it'd be nice to offer cold drinks to folks that come in. Saves money on trying to find ice." he chuckles.

It's a ray with similar properties to the cantrip Ray of Frost, but it really wouldn't have any combat applications, as it doesn't seem to lower the temperature of the target significantly enough to do damage.

Sxoa
2008-02-01, 11:54 AM
Momentarily distracted from the game Miyuki turns back and looks up, switching into Mu, she exclaims "Hekesh! What are you doing this far north? It has been a while since we fought the slavers together, no? I see you are looking well! Come sit with us!." She switches back into common, not knowing the local dialects, "Kreg, this is Hekesh, a more talented spellsword you'd be hard pressed to find." she gestures at the table and says with a wry grin, her eyes lighting up beneath her maskand this fine gentlemen is Kreg, he strangled a dragon with his bear hands you know? gesturing to lizardman, I'm afraid I did not catch your name good sir?
Forgot to roll for the last game, though with Kreg's dismal luck I couldn't have rolled lower than him. In case it's needed, heres another: [roll0]

Seribro
2008-02-01, 01:01 PM
"My name is Bresk" Well, at least that one came out pretty fluent, he thought to himself. Not that it was pretty surprising since it was the very first sentence his shaman had thought him. "It be pleaszure to meat you"
He extended his hand with the palm facing upward, the standard greeting method among his kin.

Sxoa
2008-02-01, 01:18 PM
Miyuki puts her hands together and gives a small bow, the standard greeting method, among her kin.

fendrin
2008-02-01, 01:27 PM
Hekesh

Hekesh grasps Bresk's forearm, in such a way that his forearm is also in the lizardman's hand.
Interesting. I did not expect his scales to be so warm.
"Greetings, sirs."
Realeasing his grasp, he turns to his former comrade.
"Miyuki, I'm afraid I have grave news, which is what has brought me this far. Khaldun has been taken. I am trying to find him."

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-01, 02:14 PM
Sage

The gnome's voice rises nearly a full octive as he peers at the wand curiously and says, "Faaascinating..." He pauses for a moment in thought and continues, his words coming so fast that they nearly run together. "I never thought about how the taverns back home chilled their drinks, but now that I do, there are a lot of ways to approach it. Simple ice is the easiest solution, but it only lasts so long and waters down the drink in the process. If a wand like that can be made cheaply, it would provide a much better solution in every way, but most wands run out of charges far to quickly to be used like this. A wand that can use the spell infinitely would probably be quite expensive; even if the power needed to cast the spell is small, the energy has to come from somewhere so it'd have to have some way to recharge, and that would be quite costly in any conceivable method I can think of." At this point, his face is beginning to turn a shade somewhat similar to his blue tunic, and he pauses to take a deep breath. He seems to still be deep in thought as he shrugs off his haversack and sets it on the stool next to him. He opens it up, and immediately on top is a vial of a blue substance that glows gently. "Hrm..." He gazes at the flask contemplatively and puts his index finger against the treated glass.

Naturally, the flask on the top is his single dose of Alchemist's Ice. Questions to answer--

Does any of the ice's coolness come through the glass?
How long will Alchemist's Ice stay cold under standard conditions?
What will happen if it's immersed in a liquid?

It should be painfully obvious what Sage is thinking here. Checks to what he knows follows (I'm assuming a Craft check would be relevant for determining the properties of relivant creations):
Knowledge: Arcana (1d20+11=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1479249/) (FSCK!)
Craft (Alchemy): (1d20+11=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1479250/)(FSCK!!)

TheMeanDM
2008-02-01, 04:36 PM
Sage:

The young barkeep stands, slack jawed, at the rapid-fire logic that Sage puts forth.

"Um...well..." is all he manages. He looks at Kilbain and Paggan, as if confused as to what to say. "I...suppose...." he adds.

The Alchemists' Ice vial does not feel any different than a normal vial. Sage's training in it's construction reminds him that its activation requires two things: violent motion and exposure to air. The icy effects are quite instantaneous, with no lingering side effects that he recalls.

It's unclear to Sage how someone could accomplish such a feat as crafting a wand that didn't do much.

But then it comes to him. Prestidigitation! The lowliest of cantrips. That must be it! Somehow this wand is emulating a prestidigitation effect.

Miyuki, Bresk, Hekesh:

"Well met, Hekesh." Kreg says, welcoming the newcomer with the informal warrior greeting.

The look on Kreg's face is one of surprise, and concern. "Well now, fate must have brought you together for some purpose. I, for one, do not believe in mere chance."

Sxoa
2008-02-01, 06:44 PM
Switching back into Mu, she batters Hekesh with questions, Taken?! When? How? Where?

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-01, 07:11 PM
Sage continues gently tapping the glass of the flask gently, stroking his goatee thoughtfully for a moment. Finally, he grins and says, at a normal speed and as his normal tenor, "There are possibilities here that I might solve with alchemy. Another one for the list!" He grins as he closes the pack, before giving it a short pat and opening it again. This time, on the top is a small, black contraption with a gold clip and open sheet of parchment with the word "Ideas" in a large, hasty scrawl at the top. Immediately under that is "alchemical poison ivy treatment" and a line that has been scratched out--it's difficult to tell, but looking closely, one would be able to make out the words "cheese" and "turnips" in the scratched out message. He presses the black device to the parchment, placing his hand behind the sheet to give it a solid surface to press against. He writes down, "Alchemical self-cooling ale." He closes his pack and mutters, "Just a few weeks and already two good things to investigate! So many good ideas to find about the world..." At last he looks up and sees the confused expression on the barkeep's face. "Oh... is something wrong?"

dyslexicfaser
2008-02-01, 07:42 PM
Edgar

Edgar's ears perked up, as if despite him, at the conversation going on a table away. Ferretting out the secrets of heretics had been his trade (such as it was) for much of his adult life, and it seems some habits are hard to break, even if there was no longer any need or purpose to it.

His mother had always told him that his curiosity would be the end of him one day. Maybe she was on to something. Who can say?

fendrin
2008-02-01, 08:30 PM
Hekesh

Still speaking in common, Hekesh says "Perhaps we should go to my table to discuss these matters without disturbing these gentlemen."

He gives a slight, polite bow to Kreg and Bresk. "I apologize for disrupting your game. Please excuse us."

Sxoa
2008-02-01, 09:58 PM
Switching back into common, Miyuki stops Hekesh, Perhaps they can help? They might have seen someone like him, or have leads? Kreg here seems like a man with his ear to the ground, despite it being so high the air She flashes the giant man her most winning smile.I have heard tales of the skill the lizardfolk have in tracking, perhaps we could obtain his services?

TheMeanDM
2008-02-01, 10:19 PM
Miyaki/Bresk/Hekesh

"I am always willing to lend a hand when possible." Kreg says. "When I'm not working, of course."

Sage:

"Well, it's just...I don't really know...any thing at all...about magic, and...stuff. Drinks? Well, I doubt there is anyone more in the know than I am. My dad makes sure we get the good stuff whenever possible." the young man says with a shrug.

About that time, the young waitress brings your plate of fish. Upon a white plate rests a large portion of fish fillet. It appears crusted with...something, you aren't sure what. Accompanying it are a few stalks of asparagus. It's a surprising presentation, given the "small" town.

http://www.aboutseafood.com/assets/images/recipes/catfish_piccata.jpg

The young lady drums her fingers on the top of the bar, and says "Sometimes I swear your brains must drain out of your mouth, Roderick. You forgot this gentleman's wine." she scolds him playfully.

The young man's (Roderick you now know) jaw drops slightly. "Oh hells.." he mutters, and then produces a crystal goblet from beneath the bar. He pours a glass of red wine for Sage. "I'm sure you'll enjoy that, sorry I didn't get it sooner."

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-01, 11:39 PM
Sage's eyes widen a bit as the food is placed before him. "My, but that looks good..." As Roderick fills his wine glass he shrugs and chuckles a bit. "Think nothing of it, friend; I doubt I would have noticed it either way. I tend to get caught up in a new idea and I tend to think out loud, as I'm sure you've figured out by now." He pauses a moment to take a bit of the fish.

If silverware is provided, Sage'll use those naturally. If not, he'll ask if they have any problems with him using his dagger to eat.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-01, 11:52 PM
yes, there's silverware

The fish is delicious. It's flaky and the outside is a mixture of some type of seasoned breading...and a hint of cheese.

Sxoa
2008-02-02, 12:35 AM
Mr. Kreg, are you working now? Perhaps we could help you with your work, to speed things along so that you could help us sooner?

Threeshades
2008-02-02, 07:12 AM
Kilbain, who has swashed down the rest of the ale gives the horn back to the barkeep "Gimme another one, lad.", he then turns to Sage as if he had just finished speaking out his idea.
"Ye can't do that!" he shouts stretching out his arms with indignation. "Ye really wanna ruin a perfectly good ale with yer magic alchemy smooshy wooshy?! That be jus' wrong! There be sometin' special ta an ale! Ta ev'ry ale! You'd be jus' like those maniacs who raise th' bodies of th' dead! It be wrong! Wrong I tell ya! Ye'd corrupt th' very soul of the ale!!"

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-02, 12:59 PM
Sage doesn't seem to hear much of Kilbain's rantings as he digs into his meal. Between bites he grunts out, "This is... delicious!" He goes for the fish all at once, pausing to take an occasional sip of wine.

Once he's annihilated about half of the meal, he slows down a bit to answer the dwarf. His tone is guardedly polite as he says, "Firstly, I do not appreciate being compared to a necromancer. Secondly, your fear of change here is irrational, and you speak without knowledge on the subject I suspect. Pray tell, what do you know of alchemy and its workings?"

fendrin
2008-02-02, 01:19 PM
Hekesh

Hekesh looks a little disconcerted.
Miyuki has spent more time in these northlands than I, she probably knows the ways of the people better. If she feels we can trust these two, than I will trust her judgment.
"Very well. Let me get my things and tell the waitress I have changed tables, then I will tell the tale."

He walks back across the room, grabs his guisarme and haversack, and seeks out the waitress that had taken his order.
"Excuse me miss, but I have found an old friend, and if it's not too much trouble, would like to be served at that table in the corner."
He points over at the table where his friend and the two strangers sat.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-02, 02:53 PM
"Well" Kreg says, eyeing the door. "As fate would have it, I am just starting work. It would seem our entertainment has shown up for the evening, and as such, duty calls." he rises from the chair.

"But I will certainly make myself available to you after the crowd has thinned. Until then, you'll have to excuse me."

You turn, and see that the common room has become quite full in the time that you've been talking with Kreg. All the tables are occupied with farmers, merchants, and some obvious traveling folk.

Stepping through the door is a very handsome man, by most any standards. He is dressed in fine leather clothing, though his long brown hair is somewhat unkept. He has a slight stubble on his face, but on him, it actually enhances his looks.

http://www2.fileplanet.com/images/150000/151519ss_sm2.jpg

He is accompanied by four people--two men and two ladies. They are dressed in nice, though plain, clothing---apparently so as to not detract from the presence of the man.

"Martin Schlessinger, I presume." you hear Kreg say as he makes his way over to the man.

The man bows with a dramatic flourish. "At your service, my good man!" he says, in a surprisingly un-accented voice.

In the noise of the room, you don't hear much else, but you do see Kreg point to the stage in front of the fireplace. The other man nods, and turns to his companions, who bring with them cases in the shape of different instruments.

As the man turns, you see strapped across his back a beautiful, gold-inlaid mandolin.

The performers take up residence upon the stage, getting out their instruments. You see hand drums, a fiddle, a flute, and even a 'squeeze box' as some would call it.

Kreg walks over to a door near the bar and knocks on it. He opens it, and puts his head inside momentarily.

Then he walks across the common room and stands by the entrance door, stretching himself to his full height.

Emerging from the door he knocked on is a man with a greying beard and somewhat bald head. He is dressed in very nice, though somewhat plain, clothes.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_Q8_F2nxmhLY/Ru1p4AEAexI/AAAAAAAAA1M/5JS5zau358Q/s400/sean_connery_2.jpg

He closes the door behind him and takes the stage.

"My friends" he booms with a loud and strong voice. "Welcome once again to The Old Boot!" the people in the crowd applaud enthusiastically.

"I have brought here, for your pleasure, the famed"

He is interrupted by the lead performer, who places a hand on the man's shoulder and announces loudly "Infamous!"

The crowd roars with laughter.

The older man continues "...the infamous...Martin Schlessinger!"

"Thank you for that kind introduction, Dominic!" he says. He turns his back briefly, and you see his head bob up and down slightly, possibly counting a beat for the players.

They play a number of different songs throughout the evening. Most are light hearted tales of heroics and adventure. A few are heart wrenching ballads. Martin is apparently quite a linguist, as he also sings a couple Dwarven dirges, and even a couple of powerful Masinyane work (i.e. slave) songs that speak of freedom.

Example Song (http://www.geocities.com/jason_miltenberger/martin2.mp3)

Example song 2 (http://www.geocities.com/jason_miltenberger/Martin1.mp3)

All the while, Kreg keeps a close eye upon the crowd. It is a rare occurance that he need move from his spot. But when someone does seem to be getting a bit too spirited, a firm hand on the shoulder from Kreg is all it takes to put the would-be troublemaker on better behavior.

Threeshades
2008-02-02, 03:19 PM
"I dun need ta know how that fancy alchemy stuff of yers be workin'. But I know enough about a good ale ta say that this be daft! It wouldn't be tha same. It wouldn't be ale anymore! It'd be jus' some kinda alchemical wutsit.", Kilbain briefly looks over to the barkeep to see where his next drink is before he continues: "See, I be not meddlin' inta yer alchemy bis'ness and I be not sayin' it be gen'rally bad or anythin'. But me ale be somethin' holy an' pure. An' that it should stay."

Sxoa
2008-02-02, 04:53 PM
As the music starts up, Miyuki pulls out a chair Hekesh next to her so that they will be able to speak to each other over the various songs. She enjoys the music, but doesn't let it distract her from Hekesh's tale.
"Perhaps the bard knows something? He seems to be a traveler of sorts. We might be able to get him to speak with us later this evening."

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-02, 05:37 PM
Sage bobs his head to the beat of the music during more upbeat tunes, and continues his meal. "Ah, friend dwarf," he says between bites with a smile. "I see your concern now; I fear you've misunderstood me. If a man ever tells you the products of his alchemical research are safe for consumption, you should probably stop trusting him. I'm sure there are exceptions, but by and large alchemical concotions are not for drinking. No, I meant something that would cool ale made by normal means, my friend! Ice that lasts forever and doesn't melt, for example."

Threeshades
2008-02-02, 05:49 PM
The dwarf suddenly visibly lightens up.
"Ah! I guess I hafta apologize lad. That'd be no bad idea!"
Taking back his refilled horn from the barkeep he says: "Prepare another one fer me and me friend o'er there!"

fendrin
2008-02-02, 07:55 PM
Hekesh

Hekesh keeps his eyes on the stage, but his head is tilted towards Miyuki so she can hear him clearly.
"It began a few months ago. We'd been pulling off a lot of good raids against the slavers. Freed quite a few people. I guess one of the slaver chiefs got smart, set a trap for us. They us back to the tribe and attacked. They killed a lot of us, but we managed to get the women and children out. It wasn't till later, when we went back to give our fallen a proper funeral, that we realized that a few people were missing altogether. Khaldun was one of them."
He takes a sip of his wine. (I'm assuming he's gotten served by now :smallwink:)
"In time, we managed to track them down, and rescue most of our people. Khaldun had already been sold. The slavers we questioned didn't know who had bought them. Just remembered some comments about him looking like a fighter and being taken north. I've been traveling since then."
He leans in close and whispers.
"I've heard rumors that there is an illegal combat arena in this town. I'm hoping he might have been taken there." He sighs. "I promised Zahrah I'd bring him home."

TheMeanDM
2008-02-02, 08:11 PM
(yes, sorry, everyone that ordered got their food/drink as requested...man, it's been awhile...bear with me :smalltongue: )

Paggan/Kilbain/Sage:

During the performance, a young guardsman comes in and stands near the bar where Kilbain, Sage, and Paggan are. He is a fairly good looking young man, about the same age as Paggan. He has sandy blonde hair and soft blue eyes.

He accidentally bumps into Paggan as he slides an arm out of his ring mail jerkin.

"I'm sorry miss, I didn't mean to disturb you." he apologizes.

"Don't be hassling the customers, Daniel!" a feminine voice chides from behind him. The blonde waitress that you have seen delivering food in the common room stands behind him, a playful look on her face.

You notice that they are quite similar in looks. If you had to venture a guess, they would be brother and sister, quite possibly twins.

Sxoa
2008-02-03, 12:12 AM
Miyuki

Miyuki glances at the new comers and the mild disturbance at the bar as she leans over to talk with Hekesh, "Khaldun was a fine a warrior, so perhaps he was brought here. Regardless the Mu'Min Ghazi stand out up here so those who travel and move in such circles may have news of such a man. All that notwithstanding we will need to speak with some of the northerners. I have spent time further north of here in Hyperborea but the locals will still know far more than us.

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-03, 02:16 AM
Sage seems oblivious to the approach of the guardsman, turning to smile at the dwarf as he finishes the last of his fish and begins to work on the vegetables. "My thanks. I've many nicknames, but everyone who's not another gnome just calls me Sage." He gives a slight bow of his head to the dwarf.

Threeshades
2008-02-03, 08:09 AM
Kilbain grabs the gnome's right forearm and shakes roughly but it with a firm grip: "Nice ta meet ye, sage! Me name be Kilbain Lorginsson. Or son of Lorgin as they say in th' tongue of tha traders."

dyslexicfaser
2008-02-03, 04:03 PM
Edgar

Edgar listens in to Hekesh's tale, before realizing that it has naught to do with him and turns his attention elsewhere. He picked up chatter of interest to farmers and no one else, before the lutenist and his companions began playing. For the rest of the evening, Edgar gave his attention to the entertainers.

To Edgar's untrained ear, Schlessinger and his band seemed quite good. He'd rarely heard better, and it was an enjoyable respite for him, before he would have to find a place to sleep for the night where the lack of ready coin was not a problem.

fendrin
2008-02-03, 04:33 PM
Hekesh

Hekesh nods in response to Miyuki, but does not speak.

Zimmia
2008-02-03, 05:45 PM
Paggan

Paggan eats the lovely fish dish with a smirk of contentment as she listens to the exchange between the dwarf and the gnome, interjecting at the very end of the exchange. "The two of you could teach world leaders a thing or two," she says with a smile. "A little explanation and tolerance averted a whole lot of potentially unpleasant things. Although," she says with a wink to the man who had bumped into her, "if this was universal, you and I might have to find other lines of work, eh?" She finishes the last mouthful and motions to Roderick. "After his round, the next one is on me." She then turns her attention to the wonderful music.

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-03, 09:36 PM
Sage does his best to conduct himself with dignity as the dwarf shakes his hand, but the time the dwarf is done the wizard looks visibly rattled. He shakes his head for a moment to clear it and returns a sheepish smile to the dwarf. As the woman on the other side of the dwarf speaks, Sage chuckles a bit and says, "Is the world truly so tumultuous beyond Gnomehome's borders? I fear I was so focused on my studies there that I've become rather out of touch with the wider world; another reason behind my travels."

TheMeanDM
2008-02-04, 10:36 AM
The young guardsman is about Paggan's age. As she speaks to him, his eyes grow a bit wider.

"I...um....I....uh...." he stammers at first.

The blonde woman behind him grins as she elbows him in the ribs. She leans in close and whispers something in his ear, and then winks at Paggan, giggling a bit.

She turns, and scoots off to tend to her tables.

"I...yes...indeed...it would..um..be nice to not be...needed...like...that." he says, agreeing with Paggan.

"I am...Daniel." he adds, looking a slight bit sheepish.

Edgar:

While you sit enjoying the music, you see the man introduced as Dominic conversing with some merchants at a nearby table.

You overhear him saying something about lost wagons, and the merchants being concerned about lost goods. A man, apparently a farmer, comes over to the table and you hear him say something about not having enough seed if the wagons don't come. Dominic assures the men that he is going to look into it, and then stands up.

He makes his way over to your table "Good evening, sir! I hope that you are enjoying the show, and enjoying Threshold!" he extends his hand out to you "Dominic Kjeldoran, mayor of Threshold and owner of The Old Boot."

dyslexicfaser
2008-02-04, 07:49 PM
Edgar

Edgar takes the offered hand in a firm handshake. "I certainly am, Sir Kjeldoran," the monk agrees with Dominic. "Both your city and tavern seem a place beyond reproach."

"I go by Edgar," he went on. "And this is my first stop since my arrival in your fair city earlier today."

Zimmia
2008-02-04, 07:58 PM
Paggan

Paggan smiles at Daniel. "I am Paggan Weimar, pleased to meet you, Daniel" she says as she extends a hand to him. "Would you care to join us for something to drink? Everything is so wonderful here I'm sure they do a lovely pot of tea, since you're in uniform," she asks with a gesture toward his guardsmans mail.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-04, 10:13 PM
Paggan (& Kilbain/Sage):

The young man takes the extended hand and, for a brief second, seems somewhat hesitant what to do with it. He shakes it politely, and makes a slight 'bow' to Paggan.

[roll a sense motive, Paggan]

"Actually...I am..um...off duty for the night." he says, nudging his ring-mail jerkin with his boot. "Thank you for...um...asking me to take a drink with you and your..friends."

About that time, a copper mug hits the bar top in front of Daniel. "Here you go, Danny boy." Roderick says, with a sly wink and a mischievous grin. "A refill for you, m'lady, and good sirs?" he asks Paggan, Kilbain, and Sage.

"Ah, that's what I like to hear, Master Edgar." Mayor Kjeldoran says. "No finer place north of Alseric and South of Belorian will you find." he chuckles. "I expect that Threshold will be as welcoming to you as my establishment has been."

Zimmia
2008-02-04, 10:23 PM
Sense motive: [roll0]

TheMeanDM
2008-02-04, 10:40 PM
Paggan:

"So, um...you're not from around here, are you?" he asks, then blanches a shade of pale. You can see in his eyes that he's mentally berating himself for sounding like a fool. "Oh..um..of course you aren't. I meant to ask..um...where are you from, Paggan?" He grasps the mug of ale and takes a quick drink from it.

fendrin
2008-02-04, 10:59 PM
Hekesh

Hekesh watches the flirting at the bar.
Ah, that reminds me of simpler times. Good times in Shangtai. I'm getting old. I should think about settling down, getting a wife... yeah, right. Too much to do. Time enough to rest when you're dead, right?.

dyslexicfaser
2008-02-04, 11:37 PM
Edgar

Edgar figured that perhaps he should capitalise on this fortuitous meeting to gain some information on the city he had found himself in quite by accident. "As I have said, I am just newly arrived from further south, and thus I do not know how things are done here. If you do not mind my asking, Mayor, how might you suggest one go about finding work in this town?"

TheMeanDM
2008-02-05, 07:05 AM
Edgar:

Mayor Kjeldoran puts a hand to his chin and strokes his beard slightly. "Well, what is it that you are good at, Master Edgar? They're always looking for work at the saw mill, though I don't know if a man of your wits would be satisfied with that kind of work."

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-05, 01:01 PM
Sage throws a few side-long glances towards the two humans with an impish grin on his face. He nods to the barkeepers query and says, "Yes, I think I'll have something more stout and perhaps dwarven this time... And could you use that wand again? 'Tis a fascinating use of magic..."

dyslexicfaser
2008-02-05, 01:26 PM
Edgar

"Oh, you might be surprised what I might settle for, if the need arose," Edgar mused aloud, amusement coloring his voice. "But I have some small skill in the mending of things and healing, as well as at tasks requiring strength of arm."

He could also read thoughts, if needs must, though he decided against mentioning this to the Mayor. Since he had left his homeland, he'd found that some people got so upset when he did the mind reading thing. 'Rights to privacy' or some such thing. They could really be unreasonable about it.

Threeshades
2008-02-05, 01:26 PM
"Aye!" Kilbain hands his horn back to the young man in anticipation of his next filling; "Jus' one more ale will be just the right thing fer me. Only thing better would be twenty!", he laughs loudly, ignorant of the fact that his joke was rather below average quality.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-05, 03:18 PM
Kilbain/Sage

"One for you and one for you." Roderick nods, smiling. He takes Kilbain's horn and refills it with the strong dwarven ale. He takes the copper mug from Sage, and refills it with the same strong dwarven ale. He smiles wide, and points the small wooden wand at the mug. Lips moving slightly, the blue ray then emanates from the wands tip, encircling the mug briefly and then fading.

"So, what brings you two fine men to Threshold?" Roderick says, striking up the conversation.

Edgar:

"Ah, healing. That's always a useful skill, keeping folks alive and well." he ponders a moment, stroking his beard again. "I may have need of a man with your talents, Master Edgar." he muses. "After the show, come to my study, if you would be so kind." he points to a door across the common room, near to the stairs leading up to the upper floors.

"Hannah" he says, lightly tapping the red-headed waitress on the back, as she is delivering food to a nearby table. "Please see to it that Master Edgar here receives a mean and some drink, on the house."

She nods to Dominic "Yes, right away." she tells you of the two specials, venison steak or fresh caught fish.

Zimmia
2008-02-05, 03:55 PM
Paggan

"Since you're off duty, you most certainly should have a drink with us," Paggan replies with a patient smile on her face. "And to answer your question, I'm from quite some ways away in Trillian in fact. I'm here in part to show and spread the teaching of Forseti, the Presiding One and in part to 'take the temperature' of the wider world for our Lord back at home." She takes another sip of the fine wine before continuing. "And you and your... sister?" she says askingly and nodding to the other woman, "did you grow up in this lovely place?"

TheMeanDM
2008-02-05, 04:59 PM
Paggan:

Daniel nods, taking a sip of his ale. "Yes, she's my twin sister. Bridgette." he says, and places his mug on the bartop.

"We've always lived here. Our parents farm a small bit of land south of here. Master Kjeldoran talked my da into letting us get off the farm. He showed him how we could do more for the family working in town than on the farm, even with hiring some farm work to be done."

He shrugs. "Not too much exciting ever happens around here, though. Which I guess is good. Probably not like in Trillian, though!" he says, getting a bit excited. "I hear that there are lots of fights with those Troyan snobs, is that right?" he asks, a bit anxiously.

fendrin
2008-02-05, 05:02 PM
Hekesh

Hekesh stifles a chuckle at the guard's comment about Troyans.
How did that saying go? Something about pots, kettles, and darkness...

Zimmia
2008-02-05, 05:08 PM
Paggan

"Well Daniel, certainly on the border there are still issues from time to time," Paggan allowed thoughtfully. "When two groups with different ideas live next door to each other, it gets loud sometimes. When those two groups are both countries, it gets louder and messier." She looks as though she was about to say more then thinks the better of it, returning to her wine.

dyslexicfaser
2008-02-05, 05:39 PM
Edgar

Edgar's suspicious nature tended to rear its head whenever things seemed to be going especially well for him - and being offered a job before his first day in this town came to a close qualified - but having been just barely getting by these last few weeks allowed him to shout down the mutinous urge with little trouble.

He inclined his head to Dominic "I will do so. My thanks, Sir."

And to the waitress: "The steak, please?" It had been far too long since his last good meal. He was practically salivating at the mere thought.

Things in Edgar's world seemed to be looking up. Perhaps the One was still looking out for His wayward son, after all.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-05, 05:53 PM
The music in the background, which you hadn't been paying too much attention to, due to the conversation, switches to a quick, light-hearted song (http://www.ireland-information.com/downloads/midi/partingglass.mid).

The crowd begins clapping, and some stomping their feet.

"Up and at 'em! Off yer hands!" Martin hollers to the crowd, and some men and women oblige him, standing up and beginning to dance, spinning and whirling.

Most of the crowd sings loudly with Martin, drowning out the deep voice of the bard.

"Of all the money that e'er I spent
I've spent it in good company
And all the harm that ever I did
Alas it was to none but me
And all I've done for want of wit
To memory now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be with you all"

Daniel, a little bolder now, stretches forth his hand toward the common room. "Care for a dance!?" he says loudly, over the singing, boisterous crowd, who continues to sing.

"If I had money enough to spend
And leisure to sit awhile
There is a fair maid in the town
That sorely has my heart beguiled
Her rosy cheeks and ruby lips
I own she has my heart enthralled
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be with you all"

Oh, all the comrades that e'er I had
They're sorry for my going away
And all the sweethearts that e'er I had
They'd wish me one more day to stay
But since it falls unto my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I'll gently rise and softly call
Good night and joy be with you all

At the close of the song, Martin and his minstrels seamlessly flow into another rowdy dancing song (http://www.ireland-information.com/downloads/midi/thejollybeggar.mid).

I am a little beggarman, a begging I have been
For three score years in this little isle of green
I'm known along the Platinum Route from the Trouan to the Asloo
And everybody calls me by the name of Johnny Dhu.
Of all the trades a going, sure the begging is the best
For when a man is tired he can sit him down and rest
He can beg for his dinner, he has nothing else to do
But to slip around the corner with his old rigadoo.

I slept in a barn one night in Threshold!
A shocking wet night it was, but I slept until the dawn
There was holes in the roof and the raindrops coming thru
And the rats and the cats were a playing peek a boo.

Who did I waken but the woman of the house
With her white spotted apron and her calico blouse
She began to frighten and I said boo
Sure, don't be afraid at all, it's only Johnny Dhu.

I met a little girl while a walkin out one day
Good morrow little flaxen haired girl, I did say
Good morrow little beggarman and how do you do
With your rags and your tags and your auld rigadoo.

I'll buy a pair of leggins and a collar and a tie
And a nice young lady I'll go courting by and by
I'll buy a pair of goggles and I'll color them with blue
And an old fashioned lady I will make her too.

So all along the high road with my bag upon my back
Over the fields with my bulging heavy sack
With holes in my shoes and my toes a peeping thru
Singing, skin a ma rink a doodle with my auld rigadoo.

O I must be going to bed for it's getting late at night
The fire is all raked and now tis out of light
For now you've heard the story of my auld rigadoo
So good and gods be with you, from auld Johnny Dhu

Zimmia
2008-02-05, 06:07 PM
Paggan

"Sure, why not," Paggan answers with a smile. "Keep an eye on my things?" she asks the bartender and extends her hand as she and Daniel move to the dance space.

By the time the songs are over she is laughing with delight and she joins the others in the loud applause of appreciation for Martin and his group. "Why they're wonderful!" she says with a smile. "Do they come your way often?"

Not sure if my lovely (joke) dancing needs a skill check of any kind. The only ones I can really think of would be dex (to keep from stumbling) and cha (to laugh off the mistakes as part of the joy of the moment. If there's more, let me know.

Dex check: edit I hate typos. Rolled a 10 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3894384&postcount=14) in the OOC thread
Cha check: [roll0]

TheMeanDM
2008-02-05, 06:18 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Daniel leads the dancing, helping Paggan through some of the 'rough' spots, but doing it in a manner that makes her look like she was the one leading.

"Well, he's been around here a couple of times." Daniel says, catching his breath. "This is the first time I've got to see him, tho. I had to pull guard duty those other nights."

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-05, 06:53 PM
It seems it's all Sage can do to keep from laughing out loud as the woman says 'louder and messier,' and he struggles internally to keep from commenting on how much worse things can get when two gnome cooperate. It seems he eventually settles against it. He takes a drink of the ale and responds to the barkeep's query. "Well, as you've likely guessed, I'm an alchemist and arcanist from Gnomehome. I've just recently graduated from college, and now I'm out roaming the world, seeking inspiration for new inventions and spells and such; hence my list. I've been out for a few weeks, and just happened to wander this way, so here I am." He shrugs and smiles. About then the music gets louder, and his words are lost. He stays on the shelter of his barstool, acutely aware of the dangers to a small person entering an area where tall folk are dancing.

Threeshades
2008-02-05, 07:13 PM
Before Kilbain speaks he empties his horn, once again giving it back to the barkeep to fill it up. He gulps down the ale he poured into his moth and rubs over it with his forearm and then with a warm grin briefly says: "I came fer tha glory, but I be stayin' fer the ale!"

Sxoa
2008-02-05, 08:06 PM
Miyuki

Miyuki watches the crowd and the singers with an intent eye, trying to pick out people who look well traveled, well informed or like they might be involved with the underground fighting scene. As she finishes her food, she follows Hekesh's glance at the scene at the bar and marks Dominic as someone to talk to. When people begin to dance to the music, she frowns slightly, remembering how much Khaldun enjoyed dancing in the desert night. She quickly regains her composure and once again goes back to surveying the room with all the dignity and poise of one of her (former) station.

dyslexicfaser
2008-02-05, 08:23 PM
Edgar

Edgar taps his foot in time with the music and eats his comp meal, a smile on his face. He's found himself in a better mood than he's been in quite some time.

fendrin
2008-02-05, 10:25 PM
Hekesh

"I've been on the road so long, I miss the tribe's dances. So much more fun than the dances of Shangtai. I suppose those are more artistic. Dances like these are intended for the dancers, not for an audience. Tell me, Miyuki, when was the last time you danced for fun?"

Sxoa
2008-02-05, 11:36 PM
Miyuki

"I like to think of my swordplay as a dance, but I suppose that is not what you mean. For the sheer joy of it? Probably not since I was in the wastes. In Hyperborea we did not so much dance as drink till we could not walk straight, though the end result was interesting footwork nonetheless." she says in common with a sly smile, speaking loud enough to be heard over the music. "I have never seen man nor beast drink so much as some of those dwarven berserkers did after a victory, or before one for that matter. I am afraid though, that I do not have much talent for the dance, tea and calligraphy are more my cup of...right...well... And what of you Hekesh? When have you last danced the Raqs Hana'i? You have been on the rode for a while now I take it? I would think there is not so much time there for such things."

TheMeanDM
2008-02-06, 09:57 AM
Kilbain/Sage:

Roderick laughs heartily. "Well, Master Kilbain, you'll never be leaving Threshold then, dare I say you'll probably never leave that very spot--for we've the finest ales in all the world!" He grins wide as he takes Kilbain's drinking horn, once again, and refills it.

"Well, Master Sage, wanders are always welcome in Threshold, so long as they're...peaceful...wanderers. We wouldn't want Danny-boy here to get all excited and cut himself with his sword...again."

Daniel un-ceremoneously snorts some ale through his nose in utter shock and surprise. "Damn you, Roderick! That was five years ago!"

Roderick removes an empty glass from a now empty seat at the bar. He takes a clean rag and runs it over the outside of the glass. "Oh, was it? Seems just like yesterday....boy, what a gash..." he trails off, adopting a false "misty eyed" and "wistful" look on his face as he cleans the mug.

"Roderick, please..." Daniel says, glaring slightly at the bartender.

Hekesh/Bresk/Miyuki:

The older gentleman named Dominic seems to be making the rounds, shaking hands and talking with his patrons.

He arrives at your table, and he doesn't bat an eye at Bresk the lizardman.

He bows slightly to Miyuki with his hands pressed together in front of him.

"'Quel undome, arwen en amin. Creoso amin eska." he says in quite good Shangtai elvish (http://grey-company.org/Language/).

"Dominic Kjeldoran, Mayor of Threshold and owner of this humble inn, at your service." he then says, offering his hand to first Bresk and then Hekesh.

fendrin
2008-02-06, 11:57 AM
Hekesh

(prior to Dominic's arrival at the table)
"It has been many months. I generally prefer the raqs baladi, but it seems to be slowing in popularity. Probably because of the way some Masinyane are entertaining themselves by making their slaves dance it for them."

(after Dominic's arrival at the table)
When grasping Dominic's arm, Hekesh speaks to him in Shangtai Elvish.
"Mae govannen, heru en amin. Lle leme har?"
(translation: "Well met, my lord. Have you journeyed south?")

TheMeanDM
2008-02-06, 12:04 PM
Hekesh:

Dominic chuckles. "I traveled wide and far, in my younger days. After the war, I felt the need to find different surroundings."

He raises an eyebrow in a curious manner. "You are one of gods' faithful, if I am not mistaken. Quite a ways from home, are you not?" he inquires of Hekesh.

Threeshades
2008-02-06, 12:05 PM
Kilbain looks at the two men with an eyebrow raised. "Be ye two always squabblin' like that?", accepting the next horn filled with ale he says "I guess I cannae stay ferever since there still be some fame an' glory ta get out there. So say, lads, be there anythin' ye know 'bout, that be suitable fer an aspirin' hero like me? Someone who needs an axe... or two, by their side? A treasure ta find? A horde ta fight?"

Sxoa
2008-02-06, 04:40 PM
Miyuki

Miyuki nods at thoughtfully at Hekesh's comment and is about to respond when Dominic arrives. She stands and bows in return to the man, replying in common, "My thanks, my lord. Your Shangtai is very well spoken good sir. I am Bayushi Miyuki, and these are Hekesh and Bresk.
She gestures at the two.
I shall speak common for the benefit of Bresk here. I would be honored if you would regale me sometime of your travels in Shangtai, and perhaps the wider world. At your leisure, I would like to speak with you of less happy events. Hekesh and I search for a kidnapped friend and perhaps you could give information helping with our quest.
I'm presuming at some point during the performance Miyuki was polite enough to introduce herself to Bresk and learn his name Oh wait, she actually did...

Also, Shangtai? Shangtaiese? Shangtaian? etc?

Zimmia
2008-02-06, 05:01 PM
Paggan

Paggan covers a grin at the exchange between Roderick and Daniel, so reminiscent of one that could have happened in the village outside the keep at home. She listens to Kilbain and looks down beside her stool to make sure her things are still there.

"Indeed master dwarf, perhaps you'd be interested in joining forces for a while - with two of us we could take on even larger foe."

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-06, 05:14 PM
Sage laughs at Daniel's reaction and takes a sip of his ale while shaking his head. "Ah, Danny, was it? No need to be embarrassed, a little cut is nothing to the blunders I've done. Why, me and my father've blown the roof off our house three times! The best way to learn what not to do is to do it and learn to laugh at it afterwards. Don't take yourself so seriously, my friend!" He seems uninterested in the talk of joining forces for battles.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-07, 01:53 AM
Hekesh/Bresk/Miyuki

"A kidnapped friend, eh?" Dominic says, his hand moving toward his beard. He strokes it lightly with his thumb and index finger. "That is unhappy news. What can you tell me about your friend?" he asks.

Sage:

Daniel's eyes shift off of Roderick's, and fall upon Sage's.

"You blew your house up?" he asks, a bit of amazement in his voice. "Why didn't you stop after the first time?"

Kilbain:
Roderick chuckles.

"Well, Master Kilbain, I can't say that there has been much call for heroes 'round these parts. Every now and again Hakeem's might have need of a few strong armed men to help guard a wagon or two, depending on where it's heading." he scratches at his head, as if he is trying to jog his memory. "Otherwise, it's been real quiet."

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-07, 02:28 AM
Sage shakes his head as he says, "No, no, just the roof; the walls held together just fine. And each time we were doing something different." He gets a glazed over, nostalgic look in his eyes as he recalls the events fondly. "The first was a kind of test for any up-and-coming alchemist; my first batch of Alchemist's Fire. I added too much of the last reagent, and, well, things spiraled out of control. It took a minute or two, so everyone got out just fine." He shifts to look at Daniel a little more directly, shrugs, and adds, "Everyone screws up their first batch of Alchemist's Fire, though," with a silly grin. "The second one, father needed a rather large batch of sunrods for some contraption he was building, and in my haste I tried to make them all at once. Now I know better; one at time from now on. The last one... I honestly don't remember that much." Sage gets a confused expression and finishes with, "I think the fumes had me addled afterwards; I don't remember anything about that week very well."

Seribro
2008-02-07, 09:04 AM
Bresk grips the forearm as the odd short man had done to him. He notices the female making the submissive bow again. Yet when the greetings are over, it is her that does most of the speaking. Even if it was in some very odd tongue. But this probably wasn't the best time to ask about female stature in human society right now so he remains quiet and does his best to follow what is being said once they return to common and he hears the mention of his name. Underwhile he listens his hands go over the chez-board returning the pieces to their start-positions. then he places white horse to H3
What was this about unhappy news? Happy was good and un- usually mend the opposite. Bad news thus. He turned to the half giant next to him and asked.
"What meanszz kidnapped ? It be othur wurd for dead?"

{table=head]|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8
A |Tb|Hb|Bb|Kb|Qb|Bb|Hb|Tb
B |Pb|Pb|Pb|Pb|Pb|Pb|Pb|Pb
C ||||||||
D ||||||||
E ||||||||
F |||Hw|||||
G |Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw
H |Tw||Bw|Kw|Qw|Bw|Hw|Tw
[/table]

Sxoa
2008-02-07, 11:16 AM
Miyuki
"His full name is as long as my sword, but he usually goes by Khaldun. He too is one of Mu'Min Ghazi, the son of a sheik. He is of medium height and strong build with the dark hair and eyes of his people, slightly bowlegged from growing up in the saddle. I have not seen a finer horse archer in my travels. He is clever and great leader who draws men to him but perhaps too rash they say. He was born with some small sorcerous talent, but as I said he chose to follow the way of his tribe with the bow and saddle, though his ensorcelled arrows are frightening in their ability to find their mark. Hekesh here saw him last and has been following his trail. He may be able to tell you more."

fendrin
2008-02-07, 02:26 PM
Hekesh

"Well, no, you described him well. All I can add is that he's pretty good on foot with a scimitar and shield, too."

He absentmindedly moves a pawn.

{table]|A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H
8 |Tb|Hb|Bb|Kb|Qb|Bb|Hb|Tb
7 |Pb|Pb|Pb||Pb|Pb|Pb|Pb
6 ||||||||
5 ||||Pb||||
4 ||||||||
3 |||Hw|||||
2 |Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw
1 |Tw||Bw|Kw|Qw|Bw|Hw|Tw
[/table]

OOC: Seribro, I fixed your chess board notations... they were turned about.

Sxoa
2008-02-07, 03:24 PM
Miyuki
As she turns to Bresk she thinks to herself "I really need to start studying Draconic again," "Kidnapped means captured or imprisoned. If an enemy tribe raided your tribe and took some of your people prisoner, you could say they had been kidnapped. There are connotations to each word, but it's probably too complex to get into right now."

Seribro
2008-02-07, 03:50 PM
Bresk was just overthinking his next step and had allready grasped a pawn when the lady explains it in the giants place. The Lizardman visably freezes for a moment with his eyes opened maliciously staring into nothingness.
Then he continues moving the piece forward and the stare dissipates.
If you need ssstrength with weapon, let me know and I be to join you. No-one ish allowed to sssteal another puhrson, like he wasssome object to bargain.

{table]|A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H
7 |Pb|Pb|Pb||Pb|Pb|Pb|Pb
6 ||||||||
5 ||||Pb||||
4 |Pw|||||||
3 |||Hw|||||
2 ||Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw
1 |Tw||Bw|Kw|Qw|Bw|Hw|Tw
[/table]

fendrin
2008-02-07, 04:11 PM
Hekesh

"Where I am from there are many who do not agree with you. I myself spent ten years as property. I appreciate your offer. I hope it doesn't come to weaponry, but it likely will."

Practically without looking, Hekesh nudges the pawn forward one more square, pressing the attack.

{table]|A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H
7 |Pb|Pb|Pb||Pb|Pb|Pb|Pb
6 ||||||||
5 ||||||||
4 |Pw|||Pb||||
3 |||Hw|||||
2 ||Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw
1 |Tw||Bw|Kw|Qw|Bw|Hw|Tw
[/table]

Seribro
2008-02-07, 04:24 PM
Bresk, remembering the odd way the pawn attacks its foes, replaces the horse to a safer position.
Do I need horse to ride or will you hunt by foot like pawn does? All I brought is bow and club. Sometimes one needs horse. Sometimes club will do just fine. What it be?

{table]|A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H
7 |Pb|Pb|Pb||Pb|Pb|Pb|Pb
6 ||||||||
5 ||Hw||||||
4 |Pw|||Pb||||
3 ||||||||
2 ||Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw
1 |Tw||Bw|Kw|Qw|Bw|Hw|Tw
[/table][/QUOTE]

Sxoa
2008-02-07, 06:16 PM
"Your offer is much appreciated Bresk and I would gladly have someone such as you by my side. I do not know where are travels will take us, but if we need a horse for you I can get one.

Threeshades
2008-02-07, 07:07 PM
Kilbain smiles at Paggan: "Dinnae anyone tell ye that it ain't the size tha be matterin'. It be tha width!"
He stretches out his elbows to the sides to emphasize his dwarven physique.
"But I agree, it be always better travellin' in numbers. Always good ta have someone watchin' yer back an' drinkin' on victory with ye!"
He turns to the gnome: "What d'ye say, lad? Would ye be interested on joinin' us on our way? I'm there be much new fer ye ta see.", he hesitates for a moment, "Of course only if we can find somethin' worth the travel 'round 'ere."

Zimmia
2008-02-07, 07:15 PM
Paggan

Paggan laughs good naturedly at Kilbain and toasts him with her wine glass.

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-07, 07:53 PM
Sage bobbs his head back and forth at the offer and frowns a bit. "Not that I wouldn't mind the company, but I'm no fighter. Most of the spells I've prepared are for helping me run away and make sure no one follows. A little gnome alone on the road looks tempting for any brigands, I'm sure, so I try to be careful. I suppose traveling with you would depend on where we'd be going and what we'd be doing. Truly, the last thing I'm looking for is a fight."

Zimmia
2008-02-07, 08:14 PM
Paggan

Paggan nods appreciatively as she reaches into her clothing to pull out a holy symbol to show the gnome. "Indeed Forseti teaches us to look for cooperative and diplomatic solutions to differences and difficulties. Fighting is certainly not the only option."

fendrin
2008-02-07, 08:27 PM
Hekesh

"If we need horses, I'll need one too."

He runs his finger along the side of his Queen, then shifts her into the gap in his pawn rank.

{table]|A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H
8 |Tb|Hb|Bb|Kb||Bb|Hb|Tb
7 |Pb|Pb|Pb|Qb|Pb|Pb|Pb|Pb
6 ||||||||
5 ||Hw||||||
4 |Pw|||Pb||||
3 ||||||||
2 ||Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw|Pw
1 |Tw||Bw|Kw|Qw|Bw|Hw|Tw
[/table]

TheMeanDM
2008-02-07, 08:51 PM
"I am not aware of anyone matching such a description, personally." Dominic says, with a twinge of regret in his voice. "However, Captain Stephenson may have some news. He's got his finger squarely on the pulse of Threshold. There isn't much that happens that he doesn't find out about. He is off duty currently, but will be back on tomorrow after noon lunch." he says. "Come to the town hall. It's the other large building in town, just a couple streets over to the east. You can't miss it."

He looks down at the chessboard. "I've some other matters to attend to, so I will leave you to your game. I hope you enjoy your evening." he bows slightly, as he makes his way toward the stage.

All:

The time has passed surprisingly quickly. It seems like you just entered The Old Boot...and now it is heading on toward mid night. Martin and his performers have been playing slower music as the evening has stretched itself toward close.

You see Dominic hand over a pouch to Martin, clapping him on the shoulder. He is obviously congratulating him on a job well done. The performers put away the last of their instruments, and they file past Roderick, the bartender. He hands them three keys, and they all disappear up the stairs, presumably heading to their rooms.

Dominic enters the room that he originally came from before introducing Martin.

Bresk/Miyuki/Hekesh:

The common room is mostly emptied now. At the bar is the off-duty guardsman speaking to a woman, a dwarf, and a gnome.

A man dressed in fairly simple clothing stands up from the table he was at, and goes over to the door Dominic entered. He knocks, and then enters, closing the door behind him.

Kilbain/Sage/Paggan

The common room is mostly emptied now. At a table near the far end of the bar opposite you sit a dark-skinned man, a woman with interesting facial features, and...is that a walking lizard?

A man dressed in fairly simple clothing stands up from the table he was at, and goes over to the door Dominic entered. He knocks, and then enters, closing the door behind him.

Sxoa
2008-02-07, 09:16 PM
Losing interest in the game of chess, Miyuki stands, and goes to the bar.
Bartender, the next round is on me.
Laying down coin and then turning to the others gathered there she says in common,I am Bayushi Miyuki, and you are fellow travelers I presume? You don't seem like locals at any rate. What brings you to town?

[...] a woman with interesting facial features[...]

and a mask!

Seribro
2008-02-08, 10:21 AM
((to avoid having to go through the whole game of chez piece by piece and thereby clogging up over 10 or 20 pages, hers my intel check [roll0]. If you do wish to continue the match however, I would be more then happy to do it by the PM-system))
((okay... a 10 could still go either way but the odds are in your favor so for now, I'm just going to guess your intel check will be higher))

Nice game that wazz. Did not know that ro roc rohcem.... that thing you did with your chief and tower, was possible. Your female killed her opponent so fast every time, I couldn't figure out all tha rulez by seeing. Perhapsz one day we play game again. It be interesting game. Perhaps I show to my folk one day.
Although his grammar was still off by long and his sentences far from flawless, Bresk felt like his pronunciation had become a lot better now that he had been able to perceive it from tongues that actually spoke it as their native language. Or close enough to it.
He leaned on the back of the seat and his tail wiggled left and right as he was growing a bit drowsy. Ale they had called the odd yellow water. But it seemed to have an intoxicating effect on him, which the big guy had warned him for thank the rivers, so he had kept his drinkings to a very slow pace. Still, he did have a hard time keeping eyes and ears at sharp and not giving into that oddly tempting sleep.
So... will we move out in thee morning or do hyou intend to gain information in village fihrst?

TheMeanDM
2008-02-08, 01:53 PM
"What the lady wants, the lady gets!" Roderick says, smiling at Miyuki. He fills the dwarf's horn, the other woman's glass of wine, and the mug the gnome had in front of him. He also takes the mug from the off-duty guardsman, refilling it.

About that time, the door to Dominic's room opens, and both the man who entered and Dominic come out. Dominic motions to Roderick to come over.

"Master Edgar will be staying with us for awhile. Please give him a room key, and make sure he is awakened before first light."

Roderick nods, and produces a key from one of his pockets, handing it over to the man.

Dominic and 'Master Edgar' shake hands, and the man heads up the stairs to his room.

Dominic comes over to the group. "I apologize, good sirs and fine lady, but I must request a moment of Daniel's time." he asks politely.

"Oh, sure, Mayor." Daniel says, setting his mug on the bartop.

"We won't be more than a moment." Dominic says, leading the young man across the common room to stand in front of the north window. The two men speak for a few moments, and Dominic claps the young Daniel on the shoulder, smiling in approval.

They return, and Dominic says "Again, forgive me for stealing him away from you." then he stops, and frowns. "Curses, it must be my age. I neglected to introduce myself to you during my rounds. For that, I must apologize." he says, bowing low to Paggain, Kilbain, and Sage.

"I am Dominic Kjeldoran, mayor of Threshold and owner of this humble establishment. I hope that everything has been to your liking, and that you'll be staying with us for awhile."

"Yes" says Daniel softly, with a sideways look at Paggan. "I hope so too."

fendrin
2008-02-08, 03:10 PM
Hekesh

((OOC: [roll0] We can continue via pm, if you'd like.))

"The move is called castling. It is supposed to represent the king, what you call the chief, seeking shelter. The queen, uh, female, is powerful, but simple to learn. She can move in any of the eight directions, any distance, though she cannot skip over squares."

He pauses, and when he continues he speaks slowly, as if thinking about something else.

"We will be seeking information here. I hope we will be successful soon..."

Suddenly he snaps back to the present.

"I'm sorry Bresk, I've been incredibly rude. We've been only talking about myself and my troubles. What brings you to this town? Where are you from, anyway?"

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-08, 06:47 PM
Sage gives a small bow as Dominic introduces himself and says, "'Tis a excellent tavern you run; everything seems wonderful."

"While you're here, might I trouble you a moment? I'm known as Sage, and as I was about to say to this kind lady here--"he pauses to indicate the woman who had purchased their latest round "--I'm a traveling arcanist seeking inspiration for new spells or alchemical concoctions. Your barkeep has been using a rather intriguing device to cool our drinks. Would you be the one I might talk to for details on its function?"

Seribro
2008-02-08, 08:49 PM
Bresk grins when the Hekesh explains the workings of the queen. When he is finished he corrects the little matter with a head nod in the right direction.
"When I said your female beats her opponent way to fast, I was talking about your mate."
He nods to Miyuki who has made her way to the bar to meet the other guests.

"I come from swamps of Barrozar, Dragrom-tribe. I left my home lands to bee-come great hunter warrior."
He takes the oddly curved bow from his back and shows it to Hekesh.
"This bow used to belong to one of the greatest hunters of our people. It was paszzed to me by him when he died. I can not return until I know how to wield it. But not only do I not know bow hunting myself, this bow is also to powerful to be draw by ordinary male. It would not even be suhrprisze if giant-man not be able to wield well. In our tribe, boy leaves home for time to become man. The further he go, the bigger the man. To become Morensk, one needs to go truly far and experience many things. That is why I travel human lands now."
The bow is smoothly waxed so it seems and crafted from a dark red wood. It looks a bit like the recurve bows you have seen in your own lands, but the arms are longer and the wood thicker. The hand grip seems to have carvings to form around the fingers, but to wide for any human hand to ever fill them perfectly. Odd rune-like figures are carved along the surface of the arms.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-08, 09:40 PM
Sage:

Dominic chuckles "No, no..I have never been handy with a spell, I can assure you that. A business acquaintance of mine made that for me, actually."

Paggan:

Daniel pushes his half-empty mug toward Roderick. "Thanks , Roddy." he says.

He stands up. "I've got to get home, I need to be up early tomorrow. Mayor's orders." says to you as he grins at Dominic.

"Um...if you are going to be...uh..around...in a day or so, when I get back would you...uh...like to have some dinner?" he asks.

Sxoa
2008-02-08, 10:33 PM
Miyuki ***** an eyebrow behind her mask, and looks between Daniel and the Mayor.

"Come Lord Mayor! Have a drink with us! We are your last customers tonight.", she says jovially.

fendrin
2008-02-09, 12:05 AM
Hekesh

"Mate? Wha? Uh, no... she's, ah, she's not my, uh mate. Mayuki is, uh, just uh, a friend."

He continues on, changing the topic as quickly as possible.

"That's quite a bow. Many of my people great archers, but I never learned anything more than the basics."

Threeshades
2008-02-09, 10:49 AM
The dwarf's concentration seems sto have slid off the company and now entirely fixed on the flow of the excellent ale.

Zimmia
2008-02-09, 11:53 AM
Paggan

Paggan smiles patiently. "I don't really know what I'm going to be doing in the near future," she says, "but if I'm still here, I'd be happy to enjoy a dinner with you. May your task be uneventful."

TheMeanDM
2008-02-09, 12:23 PM
Paggan:

Daniel beam with happiness as he stands up. He seems full of exuberance and life, as if he could take on the world single-handedly.

"It's a date then." he says, smiling broadly. He confidently takes Paggan's hand, and kisses it in his most courtly and respectful manner.

Relesing it, he picks up his ring mail vest and strides across the common room...you'd think he would be floating, as elated as he seems, and leaves The Old Boot.

Dominic smiles approvingly.

"I think I will share a drink with you, though I must limit myself to only one. If I have more at this hour, I find I wake with a dreadful headache." he points to a violet-hued flagon on the top shelf, which Roderick fetches. He pours a glass of purplish/violet colored liquid into a crystal wine glass, and places it in front of Dominic.

"To new friends." he lifts his glass in a toast.

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-09, 01:21 PM
Sage looks after Daniel with an amused grin on his face. "Heh, that's always a good feeling," he mutters to himself quietly. As the young guard leaves he re-directs his attention to Dominic. "Aye, I'll drink to that," he says as he raises his own mug.

Zimmia
2008-02-09, 01:28 PM
Pagga

Raising her own glass, Pagga drinks to the toast.

Threeshades
2008-02-10, 07:33 AM
"Aye!", the voice of the dwarf swells in an uncontrolled manner for a moment, as he throws up his arm holding the horn, almost spilling it all over the group.

Seribro
2008-02-10, 01:48 PM
That be as far as I got too. The bow corrects a little for me. Legend says it holds magic that improves shooting. I think that be why I sometimes do hit a target. Bresk answers with a bit of self-mockery, but even so you can see in his eyes he hear in his voice that he is in fact quiet honoured and proud that he is even allowed to hold the bow.
So. You say you come to find friend here. Your skin be different from other humans I seen. Lot the same, but still different like lizard skin is different from that of snake. You come from far too?

fendrin
2008-02-10, 02:16 PM
Hekesh

"Yes, I come from very far to the south."

He just compared me to a snake. I don't really think he meant it that way, though.

"It is a very hot, very dry place."

He pulls his pack to the table, reaches into the left pocket and pulls out a small handful of sand and shows it to the lizardman.

"Most of my people's land is covered in sand like this."

He pours the sand back into the pocket he took it from.

Seribro
2008-02-10, 04:38 PM
Bresks bony nubs above his eye pull upward, and if he were human you would have said 'he raised his eyebrow', as he sees you pull out sand of the pocket.
You miss your homelands much, yes? To take your very homeland with you... is that a costume of your tribe? Us lizardfolk, we take with us the creatures that live on it.
He raises his chin and grabs the necklace of teeth and fangs that hangs around his nick. All seem to come from a different animal.
Some I caught myself, others were given amulets for safety, good luck, braveness and such

fendrin
2008-02-10, 09:13 PM
Hekesh

Hekesh smiles.
"No, it is not a custom of my people. I was given this pack as a gift from a wise woman, a shaman, who wanted to make sure I would not forget my home."

Sxoa
2008-02-11, 04:56 AM
After smiling warmly at the departing guardsmen, Miyuki raises her glass with the others.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-11, 09:41 AM
Dominic finishes his wine, setting the glass down.

He looks at the assembled "group", and then says "I have a question for you all. Would you be interested in assisting in some official business for Threshold? I can't promise any excitement, or riches, but it would help me and free up Captain Stephenson's time today for other pursuits."

fendrin
2008-02-11, 10:34 AM
Hekesh

I should be spending my time looking for Khaldun, not running errands for an outlander municipality.

Hekesh turns to answer the mayor, but then hesitates.

Then again, It would be good to ingratiate myself to this one and to the captain. They are likely my best avenue to find him. Miyuki seems trustful of him, so I will place my trust in him as well. I hope I do not regret it.

"If... if it will allow your captain to look for my friend, I will gladly lend whatever assistance I may."

Sxoa
2008-02-11, 11:54 AM
I would be glad to help. Perhaps some of Captain Stephenson's other pursuits could be making inquiries after our, she gestures to Hekesh,missing friend?

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-11, 03:31 PM
Sage bobs his head a bit as he considers the request. "I hadn't planned on staying here long, to be honest... But I suppose it couldn't hurt anything; I've been wandering randomly up 'till now. Perhaps some direction is called for."

Zimmia
2008-02-11, 03:59 PM
Paggan

"If there is help I can provide that would also allow to assist these people in finding their missing friend, then I am at your service Lord Mayor," Paggan says with a smile.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-11, 04:00 PM
Dominc nods at Hekesh and Miyuki. "Captain Stephenson will most certainly be looking into the matter of your missing friend, which is why I am asking this small task of you."

He looks to the rest of the gathered people.

"To help you reach a decision, I will tell you of our need."

"There is a hunter that lives in the woods to the northeast of here. He was involved in a bar fight a few weeks ago at The Rusty Clam. He has failed to report in to Captain Stephenson to discuss the situation."

"His name is Silas Redfern. I would ask that you go and persuade him to come and speak to me. He has not been charged with any crimes, but we need to know his side of the story."

He pauses a moment.

"I would normally have Captain Stephenson send a few guardsmen out to fetch him, but we are going to be a bit short handed the next couple days."

Zimmia
2008-02-11, 04:29 PM
Paggan

Well certainly if this person isn't meeting his obligation to come before you, then I don't see why we shouldn't have a talk with him. He could be in some kind of distress as well. What more can you tell us about the fight in the... Rusty Clam was it? Who else was involved?

fendrin
2008-02-11, 04:37 PM
Hekesh

"If I may ask, why will the guard be shorthanded?"
He turns his chair around so that he has a better view of the crowd at the bar.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-11, 05:03 PM
"A very good question." Dominic says.

"Five of them will be travelling north to make contact with a trade caravan. The caravan master is cousin to one of them, and he knows the masters regular stopping points. Quite boring work, really, and I expect them to return the day after tomorrow."

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-11, 05:15 PM
Sage spins around in his barstool to get a better view with the mayor as well, slowly drinking his ale as he does. "Seems like you're assembling a rather robust group for a task that seems like it would require little more than one or two people... Are these woods you mentioned dangerous somehow? And as she has asked--" here, he tilts his head towards Paggan, "--what more can you tell us of the brawl? Must have been severe to merit the attention of the guard... Yet he's not being charged of a crime? Fascinating."

TheMeanDM
2008-02-11, 05:38 PM
"Well, we investigate disturbances in Threshold quite thoroughly. Right now, we are unsure as to his full involvement. The patrons of the Clam are...how shall I say...tight lipped... when questions are asked that they don't wish to answer truthfully." he shrugs.

"What we have been able to gather, though, is that Silas was one of the men involved in the fight that resulted in another man being wounded by a knife. Nobody is sure about who's knife did the damage. Or, if they are, they aren't saying."

He pauses a moment. "Silas is somewhat of an outsider. He comes into town once every few months, and has very little contact with the regular townsfolk. He trades his furs for arrows, some food, and other supplies. We did not keep him, because we could not charge him."

He looks at Sage "We only hold those in custody that we can charge with a crime. It would be unjust to do otherwise."

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-11, 06:44 PM
Sage shrugs and says flatly, "I suppose that makes some sense..." He seems unconvinced, but drops the matter with a shrug. "More importantly, I still see no real reason to have so many of us involved. Are you expecting the man to resist us or some such?"

TheMeanDM
2008-02-11, 07:24 PM
"Well" he shrugs "When our guards go outside the city, we tend to have them go in small patrols of five. There are..." he pauses a moment "...six of you. It seemed a good fit. The loggers would be the ones to talk to about any trouble in the wood, as they spend most of their days there."

Sxoa
2008-02-11, 09:52 PM
Not so odd I think. A robust and eclectic group such as this can often preclude thoughts of violence before they even occur. Even a single guardsman might be resisted if one thinks they can get away with it. I will gladly assist. It never hurts to make new friends in a strange land.
Miyuki lets out a small dignified yawn.
Oh excuse me. The hour grows late. I think I shall be turning in, it was a pleasure meeting you all. I will see you at breakfast on the morrow, before we set out.

Zimmia
2008-02-11, 10:02 PM
Pagga

"That seems reasonable", Pagga replies. "We will go and see what this Silas Redfern has to say. For the moment, though I agree that sleep is in order." She looks to Roderick, "I should have asked when I first arrived - do you have any rooms free for the night, or if not may I take a space in your common room?"

TheMeanDM
2008-02-11, 10:06 PM
Roderick produces a ring of keys from his pocket and takes one off.

He also pulls out a small sheet of parchment and places it on the bartop. He sets the key on top of the parchment.

Dominic nimbly plucks the parchment out from under the key. "No need for this, Roderick." He pockets the parchment.

"Ok, dad." the young man says.

Roderick nods at Paggan, in answer to her question. He takes another key off his ring, and raises an eyebrow at his father, who nods slightly.

Roderick hands the key over to Paggan with a smile

Zimmia
2008-02-11, 10:11 PM
That seemed a little...odd. Can I get a sense motive there? It's either some sort of "I promise I won't trash your inn" form that's being waived for her for whatever reason or it's something different.

Sense Movtive: [roll0]

TheMeanDM
2008-02-11, 10:18 PM
ooc:

it's most likely Miyuki's bill for the evening's drinks

if you want to look at it, roll a spot check

TheMeanDM
2008-02-12, 09:49 AM
When it appears that Miyuki is going to protest, Dominic raises his hand. "No, no...I am hiring you to do a job for Threshold. As payment, I am waiving your room fee and your drink and meal tab as well for this evening."

He looks to the rest of the group. "That offer stands for any of you that wish to help as well."

Seribro
2008-02-12, 11:18 AM
Bresk shrugs and throws a look at the slightly-different-human next to him. If he takes job, I take job too. And he takes job if she takes job. So that mean we three be in.

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-12, 12:16 PM
Sage shrugs and says, "I suppose I might as well."

Zimmia
2008-02-12, 12:36 PM
Paggan

"It's certainly not necessary," Paggan says with a slight frown. "That we are going to assist you in your task should not preclude us for paying our way."

Paggan's not real comfortable with that, but if he insists she'll let the issue drop since he's the authority here

Threeshades
2008-02-12, 12:44 PM
"Count me in, lad!" Kilbain says with a grin, handing his empty drinking-horn over the bar once again.

Sxoa
2008-02-12, 01:25 PM
The corners of Miyuki's mouth rise as she smiles slightly at the lizardman, she finds herself growing quite fond of the ranger-in-training.
You are most gracious Lord Mayor, but As Lady Paggan has said m'lord, that is not necessary.
Likewise, Miyuki will not refuse if pressed. To steadfastly refuse hospitality would be a grave insult. When the matter is settled she will go to bed, and barring any mishaps in the night make inquiries as to the purchasing of horses in the morning

fendrin
2008-02-12, 02:09 PM
Hekesh

Hekesh stands and walk to the bar.
"I, for one, will take you up on you kind offer."

TheMeanDM
2008-02-12, 05:17 PM
"No, my fine ladies, I must insist upon compensation for your work. You would not ask a goldsmith to craft a beautiful treasure for you without providing payment for his skill, now would you?" he says "Nay, nor do I want you to go un-compensated either."

He pauses a moment. "I believe that there will be one more person to go with you. His name is Master Edgar, and I will have him meet you tomorrow before you go. I believe he will be quite valuable in your search."

Sxoa
2008-02-12, 11:12 PM
You are most generous Lord Mayor. I will take my leave then for the evening and bid all here a good night.
Miyuki rises and upon receiving her key (and instructions on how to get to her room if required) departs for the night.
Miyuki can share a room if necessary, but I get the impression we're getting singles. Propriety would dictate it probably be with Paggan (as a fellow female) or Bresk (as a non-mamilian). While slightly snobbish on such things, she's no stranger to barracksing with Hyperborean Mercenaries, so she can handle whatever sleeping arrangements

Zimmia
2008-02-12, 11:46 PM
"We will see Master Edgar in the morning then. Thank you again for your hospitality M'Lord, it's well past time for me to turn in." Paggan takes her key, collects her gear, gives the mayor a respectful nod and then turns toward the rooms.

Agree that Paggan can share a room with Miyuki if there are not enough to spare. Either way she'll find a bed and settle down for the night.

Seribro
2008-02-13, 04:43 AM
Bresk follows the example and takes a key as well. Then shakes it. Examines it. Points it in the air. Tries to break it. Then when he notices the strange glares around him, he gives up.
Hows this work? he asks the chieftain of the human village.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-13, 09:43 AM
(prior to everyone leaving)

"Excellent, thank you for accepting my humble request for help. If you will meet Master Edgar here in the morning, I'll see to it that you have a fine breakfeast before you set out to fetch Mister Redfern."

Dominic smiles at the lizardman "I will show you, good sir." he says, "Follow me" and he leads up the stairs:

(for everyone)

The room you have been given is a simply furnished room. The bed looks wide enough for two. There is a nightstand, a wash basin, and a small chest of drawers for those who may be staying longer. There is also a chair with a comfortable looking seat cushion.

http://www.tintagelweb.co.uk/images/Old%20Post%20Office%20Photos/South%20bedroom.jpg

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-13, 11:21 AM
Sage nods and gives a half-hearted smile, saying, "Many thanks for your hospitality. I think I'll finish this last drink and then make for bed myself..." He keeps his misgivings on the nature of their mission quiet as he returns to draining his ale. He also looks after the lizardman with a raised eyebrow and makes a mental note to find out more about him. Once his drink is finished, he'll head to his room and go to bed.

fendrin
2008-02-13, 04:35 PM
Hekesh

Entering his room, Hekesh shuts and locks the door, placing the key on the nightstand. Slipping the handaxe from his belt, he places it under the pillow of the bed.

He strips to his underclothes revealing a wide variety of scars, the legacy of a lifetime of slavery and armed conflict. On his lower back is a distinctive tattoo of three circles arranged in an equilateral triangle surrounding a fourth circle of even size. All four circles are connected by lines.

He proceeds to wash the grit and grime of the road from his face and body.
He lays his guisarme across the chest of drawers and the chair, careful to not cut either piece of furniture. He then examines his garments, and taking some water from the washbasin, scrubs out the mud and miscellaneous detritus that has accumulated over the past few weeks since his previous stay at a decent inn. As he washes each garment, he hangs them off of the guisarme to dry.

He then climbs into the bed and drifts off to sleep.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-13, 06:40 PM
(anyone else?)

otherwise..we'll fast-forward to morning

Zimmia
2008-02-13, 06:49 PM
Paggan

Paggan settles into her room, taking the time to put herself and her equipment in order, locking everything but her weapon in the chest with the lock she carries, then giving thanks for the day falls rather rapidly into contented slumber.

((all done here...))

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-13, 08:40 PM
Sage enters his room and locks his door, then casts Prestidigitation, taking a moment to launder his clothing and warm his water before washing up. He spends a bit of time flipping through his spellbook before going to bed.

((Let's get this going, shall we?))

TheMeanDM
2008-02-13, 09:32 PM
(since we have most everyone)

The bed was quite comfortable. So comfortable, you find it hard to leave it after such a long time on the road. Looking out the window, you see the sun beginning to peek it's golden fingers over the tops of the dark, shadowy buildings of Threshold.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2147/2263483509_f2fe11a2c4.jpg

The smell of cooking meat makes your stomach rumble a bit--it hungers for something more substantial than dry rations or the occasional small game animal.

You hear out in the hallway a few other doors opening and then closing.

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-13, 09:58 PM
Sage rises early, and the smell of cooking meat is all he needs to fully wake up. He takes fifteen minutes to re-prepare his prestidigitation spell that he used to clean himself up the night before, then heads down to the common room.

Spell list for the day:0th level
Detect Magic
Read Magic
Caltrops
Amanuensis

1st level
Mage Armor
Mount
Sleep
Expiditious Retreat

2nd level
Web
Glitterdust
Protection from Arrows

Zimmia
2008-02-13, 10:22 PM
Paggan

As soon as the light began to show itself through the window, Paggan rose and stretched out in bed. Walking to the window and gazing out at the world, she reflected for several long moments. Morning was her favorite time of day, even as it was Forseti's. For some reason everything was so much clearer in the dawn, as though the Universe with her hands outstretched was welcoming her personally to the next day - the next scene to play out in her life.

The definite smell of breakfast finally took her out of her reverie. She re-packed her belongings and made her bed before giving the scene in front of her a final appreciative glance and walking downstairs.

She smiled 'good morning' to the server who came to her table and asked for a pot of tea and a share of the breakfast she smelled.

dyslexicfaser
2008-02-13, 11:02 PM
(OOC: Wow, it feels like it's been awhile since my character got involved in the story.)

Edgar

Edgar rose before the dawn for his morning prayers. It was not required of his Order, merely a personal affectation. He liked the symbolism of rising in darkness and praying until the dawning light of day: he was a healer, but he had other duties, too. Duties for which the night was well suited.

When the sun peeked its way into his room, he left without a backwards glance. It was time to begin his new job for the Mayor of Threshold.

Downstairs, he took up a seat of his own.

Sxoa
2008-02-14, 01:02 AM
Miyuki washes up as best she can before going downstairs. Perhaps she would ask the clever little gnome for a prestidigitation of cleaning if Hekesh did not know the spell. Nothing cleaned like magic cleaned.

After grabbing her clothes and weapons, she heads downstairs, joining the others for tea and breakfast.

Amanuensis? I'm not familiar with the spell, but it sounds fun (hard enough to pronounce anyways:smallsmile:) Where is it from/what's it do?

Threeshades
2008-02-14, 02:56 PM
Kilbain wakes up realizing he's still laying in that human bed. After a while he carefully stands up, always concerned to break the bed, that was made in a rather fragile style for dwarven standards. The sun is shining through even the closed curtains filling the room with light, making Kilbain once again wonder how the humans could ever stand waking up to be dazzled by the sunlight for the next few minutes.
After he made his way out of the flimsy human bed he starts to collect his gear putting on his clothes and armor, donning his horned helmet and fastening his two axes and his drinking-horn at the sides of his belt.
"'nother day, 'nother ale!" he says in a cheerful tone after his eyes got used to the light and heads on downstairs.
"Gimme a good breakfast an' another shot a' that ale a' yers, laddie!", he says stumbling up to the bar.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-14, 03:52 PM
At this early hour, you are surprised to see that there are people in the common room. There is the man you recognize from the previous evening, the one who went into Dominic's office and left again. There is also a group of six guardsmen, including Daniel, who are apparently finishing a meal. The young man looks a little sleepy-eyed.

Behind the bar is Dominic. He is dressed in a loose fitting white shirt overlayed with a fine looking red tunic. He looks well rested.

"Ah, my friends. A fine morning to you!" he says, smiling broadly. "Please, have a seat." he waves a hand toward the common room, indicating any of the open tables. He turns and walks over to the south-western door, which leads back into the kitchen. He opens it, and you hear murmored voices.

"My wife, Moira, will be out with your breakfeast in a few moments."

As you seat yourselves, you see that the group of guardsmen stand (almost as one), and begin to casually toss down their napkins. Daniel, you notice, slides his chair up to the table. He also folds his napkin a couple times and places it on his plate, as opposed to simply crumpling up the cloth and pitching it willy-nilly.

As they exit the Old Boot, he glances backwards and waves. Through the window you see them mounting up on horses, and they head north out of town.

"Good morning!" a pleasant female voice says, catching your attention. A still-attractive middle-aged woman arrives at your table.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2216/2265759578_a61a8e8faa_m.jpg

In her right hand she holds a large wooden tray. Upon it she has balanced seven plates of steaming food. "I do hope you enjoy this. The sausage is fresh made, and the eggs were gathered this morning." she smiles as she places the plates in front of each of you.

http://www.marquezrestaurant.com/menu/images/eggs.jpg

dyslexicfaser
2008-02-14, 06:27 PM
Edgar

Edgar dips his head towards the woman in a minute gesture of respect. "I am sure it will be excellent, Madame." He digs into his breakfast like a starving man.

Sxoa
2008-02-15, 12:46 AM
Many thanks and a good morning to you m'lady.
Miyuki too begins eating, though she remains dignified in her manner.

fendrin
2008-02-15, 10:34 AM
Hekesh

Waking to the scent of food and the sound of people moving about, Hekesh sits up in surprise.

How late did I sleep? It must be the comfort of knowing I have others assisting me in my search. I have not slept this well in a long time.

He dresses quickly and splashes a little water on his face before grabbing his gear and the room key and heading down for breakfast. He arrives just as the guardsmen rise from their seats.

"Good morning, all"

Sitting down beside Miyuki, he eats more refinedly than Edgar, but nowhere near as dignified as Miyuki.

"There is nothing in this world that is quite as nice as a good night's sleep and an excellent breakfast." He says between two bites.

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-15, 11:09 AM
Sage smiles and says, "It looks delicious, many thanks." He tries his best to hide it in his voice, but he's never been quite as fond of eggs for breakfast as others seem to be. Still, he eats the meal and seems quite content with it.

Sxoa
2008-02-15, 02:24 PM
Good morning Hekesh. I hope you slept well.
Miyuki turns to Sage, Tell me Lord Sage, you are magician are you not? What brings you to these lands? Thirst for adventure? Knowledge? A chance to hone your skills? Are your magics in the blood or from years of study? What drives you? I would know more of the people I ride with if it pleases you.

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-15, 03:07 PM
Sage turns his head to Miyuki and says with a good-natured tone, "Please, just call me Sage; none of this 'lord' business. And to answer your question, I'm a wizard and alchemist, and I've been studying the arcane arts for most of my life. I've left my beloved Gnomehome in search of inspiration; new spells and inventions to solve problems that I'd never know of by staying home."

He looks about the table and says, "What of the rest of you? If we're to be travelling together for a time we might as well get to know each other. I doubt we'll encounter any actual danger along the way, but to pass the time I suppose..."

Sxoa
2008-02-15, 04:37 PM
"I was born in Shangtai, and despite my being human, I was taken into a lord's home, and raised as his heir. When he lay dying though the other elven lords, even the Emperor, seized everything I had, killing my family. Even he abandoned me in his final moments before death." Miyuki's voice has a note of bitterness and anger to it. It becomes more lighthearted and matter of fact thhough as she continues,
"I managed to escape, and I have wandered these lands ever since. I seek to hone my skills. One day I will return, at the front of a great host, and I will reclaim my lands. Perhaps, I will even be Empress someday..."

Zimmia
2008-02-15, 06:16 PM
Paggan

Having enjoyed her breakfast in silence, Paggan listened to the exchange between Sage and Miyuki, giving the later a look clearly filled with compassion and nothing resembling pity. "The choices made for a 'greater good' never seem that way to the target," she replied, purposefully leaving much unsaid.

"My mission here is twofold - to spread the word and teachings of Foresti through the lands and to assess attitudes of the world at large for my lord." She wipes her mouth carefully and then takes another sip of her tea.

fendrin
2008-02-15, 07:31 PM
Hekesh

Hekesh puts his hand comfortingly on the shoulder of his young friend.
"I will stand with you, Miyuki."

"My tale is similarly one of woe, but I'll save the telling for a later time. For now, I seek my friend," he glances at Miyuki "Our friend Khaldun, who has been taken against his will."

dyslexicfaser
2008-02-15, 07:47 PM
Edgar

Edgar, having finished devouring his meal, spoke up. "Tales of woe seem to be surprisingly common, these days," he observed. "I know neither Khaldun nor Foresti, but I would hear more of both if there is time." He glanced at Dominic.

For himself... he doubted that the High Holy Father's reach extended this far, but he felt better erring on the side of caution: best to keep his introduction brief. "This is my first true meeting with you all, and so perhaps should introduce myself. I go by Edgar, and I was also forced to leave my homeland for.. various reasons." His calm face gave away none of the emotions roiling beneath the surface. "I am sure it will be a pleasure working with you all."

Sxoa
2008-02-16, 02:10 AM
Turning to Sage, "As you wish Sage. Perhaps when I am Empress you will stay with me as my high court wizard and alchemist..." she says with a wry smile.
Miyuki gives Paggan a sideways glance, not sure what to make of the wise woman. If you will, when we are on the road you may tell me of your gods . I make no promise to convert, but I do have genuine interest in the faiths of the world.
When Hekesh makes his comment, Miyuki smiles back at the desert born warrior,Of this I have no doubt my friend
She nods solemnly at Edgar's comments, Perhaps we shall hear more of your reasons in due time and at your leisure as the bonds of trust grow.
Miyuki turns to the bar and calls out in Dwarvish, And what of you Master Kilbain? Come eat drink at our table and share a tale of your past!

Ah! So many conversations!:smalltongue: I like our crew. We're "motley"

TheMeanDM
2008-02-16, 08:12 AM
Ah! So many conversations!:smalltongue: I like our crew. We're "motley"

and we have girls, girls, girls! :smallbiggrin:

(after Kilbain speaks)

Dominic comes out from behind the bar.

"Thank you all again for undertaking this small task. The forest is about an hour's walk to the northeast of the town. There is a permanent 'camp' that the loggers have established. They know the woods pretty well, and someone is bound to know where Silas makes his home."

Seribro
2008-02-16, 08:26 AM
With a sour looking grimas, Bresk comes walking down the stairs, just in time to catch the majors words. It seems like his dreams may not have fallen him lightly since his eyes are small and narrowed to mere slits as he battles the morning light. The breakfast tastes him well though, even though he seems a bit slow about it. With two halve an ears he tries to catch what the stories of this early hour are about.

Threeshades
2008-02-16, 10:00 AM
Raising his drinking-horn in approval Kilbain walks over to the group table.
"Me past ye want ta hear about?", hew sits down, "I be hailin' from Lorgin's clan. 'e's me pappy. Hence tha name. I left me clanmates in search of great battles, glory an' fame. I wanna earn me place at the great table in Valhalla.", he takes a sip from his horn "Well... that be it in short."

Sxoa
2008-02-16, 05:14 PM
Your peoples reputation precedes you master dwarf. When I was serving as mercenary in the Rothgar-Korr clan war I heard tales of the Lorgins valor and strength.
Miyuki continues chatting amiably with the others until Dominic makes his appearance.
Lord Mayor, perhaps you would know of a reputable horse dealer in town? I need to purchase mounts for a couple of my companions.

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-17, 02:00 AM
At the mention of horses, Sage raises an eyebrow. He shakes his head and says, with a low voice, "If you were talking about a mount for me, I can make my own for about six hours or so; there's no need for that. Besides, it's not like there's a rush." He seems to have been put off by her comment about her future as an empress.

Sxoa, I just noticed your question about Amanuensis. I got it from the SpC, and it copies written text, in a nutshell. Just something I can't see Sage not preparing if it's available.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-17, 11:02 AM
-- I'm on vacation atm, will post more tonight when I get back :)

Dominic chimes in "Well, I could spare a couple of horses that the guardsmen keep ready for business outside of Threshold. I will go and tell young William to have them ready."

He he heads back through the kitchen, and is gone for a couple of minutes before returning.

"They will be ready for you momentarily, so when you are ready to embark, so too will your mounts."

Sxoa
2008-02-17, 12:11 PM
"There is no rush, but time not spent traveling can be spent brewing potions or tea. I meant to purchase mounts as I had promised last night for Hekesh and Bresk, not just for this mission but for future travels as well."

Seeing Sage's discomfort at her earlier comments she goes on, "My dear Sage, do my aspirations disquiet you? For this I am truly sorry. We all seek something greater though. You perhaps seek noble and pure knowledge but I wish my people free from oppression and tyranny. This cannot be while that elf," her face twists grimly as she spits out the word, "sits on his throne of thrones. My people have been second class for hundreds of generations. Is it wrong that I wish to put an end to their hardship?"
Cool! Yeah it definitely seems up Sage's alley.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-17, 08:32 PM
"Well, the availability of horses is somewhat limited here in Threshold. We only keep fifteen, for use by the guardsmen on occasion. I purchased them from a man in Alseric...Gareth Gryphon...was his name, owns Gryphon Stables." Dominic explains. "While in the service of Threshold, you are more than welcome to use our mounts."

Zimmia
2008-02-17, 08:43 PM
Paggan

"Perhaps if we spread the word we are looking to buy good horses, an enterprising livery owner or two will come into town about the time we come back," Paggan suggests. "And then in the meantime those who need them can use the mounts provided for by the constabulary." She then looks to Dominic "If I can have the bill for breakfast I will see to my own mount."

If he looks like he's going to object (or does object), "Please kind Sir, you have provided for our evening meal, entertainment and accommodation; I appreciate that we are providing a service to Threshold but it should not be at the expense of your inn."

If he still insists then she will let it go (she's keeping a running tab in her head anyways)

(It's also her intention to pay for the group)

After laying down gold to cover their meal and a resonable amount for service, Paggan stands. "If you'll excuse me, I'm going to the stables. I will be ready when the rest of you are."

TheMeanDM
2008-02-17, 08:49 PM
Dominic starts to object, but seeing the resolve in Paggan's eyes, and hearing her determined tone, he merely smiles and picks up the coins. "As you wish, Lady Paggan."

(everyone let me know if there is anything else you want to do. otherwise, we'll get this movable feast going) :smallamused:

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-17, 10:03 PM
Sage shakes his head to Miyuki and replies, "Your aspirations are none of my concern, really. They seem noble enough." He raises an eyebrow and gets a wry half-smile and says, "However, do you understand how arrogant you sound when you talk about having another serve you once you achieve that goal?" He seems unconcerned with the talk of horses and payment.

((I don't have anything else major to do here.))

Sxoa
2008-02-18, 12:17 AM
Miyuki looks very confused for a moment at Sage's comments, "Serve? I do not understand? I said nothing of serving me..."
Her eyes light up with understanding after a moment, "Ah! I believe this is a cultural misunderstanding. A wizard of the high court does not "serve" the Emperor anymore than a road builder "serves" a traveling peddler. All must play their role in cosmic order. The lord's duty is to guard and protect the people and keep them safe from harm just as much as it is the farmer's duty to plow his fields and bring forth food. Truly Sage I meant no disrespect. You seem a clever fellow and I would think any man or women could only benefit from your thoughts on matters arcane.

(Miyuki fetches Rakuda from the stables, but other than that I've got nothing but chit chat.)

Seribro
2008-02-18, 05:43 AM
As the food fills his stomach, his head begins to settle down again and the colour of his skin becomes its full healthy green again. He is just about to wash it down with the goblet standing next to the plate when he notices its again filled with this stuff humans call ale. Without a sip, bresk puts it back down again and oppens his own water skin to take a few big gulps out of it.

May I ask one quo... kwue-uh... thing? Will there be an stream of fresh water we cross in forest?

((Only this and nothing more. Push the FF button whenever your ready))

TheMeanDM
2008-02-18, 11:02 AM
(pressing FF button :smallbiggrin: )

Dominic nods to Bresk. "Yes, you'll cross the Windrush river. It's not large, by any means, but in some places it is deeper than a man. There is a bridge if you take the eastern fork of the road. That will lead you to the logging camp."

(map of Threshold again, and surrounding area)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2063/2214812584_a01628bbac.jpg

Mounting up, you all head out the northern 'gate' of the city. It takes about half an hour of quick walking by the horses for you to reach the fork in the road. You've reached the top of a small hill. Below you you can see the Windrush River. The western fork leads on north and west--away from the Windrush River.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2397/2273929937_604cef2b57.jpg

The eastern fork takes you down the hill to the banks of the river. The river has narrowed here, due to a natural narrowing of the banks and a natural dam, which has created a small waterfall with a drop of about three to four feet.

Across the other side of the river you see the road continue on toward the dark green forest.

Maintaining you pace and following the obvious path, you find yourself among the trees of the forest.

The passage of heavy wagons has forged a deep set of tracks along the foliage-covered ground. The green plants struggle to reclaim their lost ground, but the passage of humans and their wagons seems to be keeping the vegetation at bay.

A fine morning mist still hangs in the air, as yet untouched by the upcoming rays of the sun.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2083/2274748192_f111d1efde.jpg

You follow the path deeper into the forest, and soon you come upon a large, ramshackle campsite. There are five large tents setup in the clearing. Stacks of long, cut trees occupy the left hand side of the clearing. A large bonfire is in the middle of the camp. On the right side of the camp there are eight massive horses milling around in a make-shift corral. You notice that the path you have been following bends around in 'front' of the camp and then heads on through the forest near where the horses are.

You see two huge flat-bed wagons with large, sturdy steel-rimmed wheels sitting near to where the logs are being kept. A number of burly men are hoisting logs onto one of the wagons.

A slightly hunch-backed old man approaches you. His face is weathered and wrinkled, and his shaggy white beard is unkept. Over his plain pants and shirt he wears a dingy apron stained over time by various colors. At one time, that apron might have been white, but no longer. In his right hand he holds a spatula and he points it at you.

"What be ye wantin?" he grumbles. "Ye be lost, mayhap?"

fendrin
2008-02-18, 01:13 PM
Hekesh

Hekesh sits upon his borrowed horse, a brown mare with few distinguishing marks. His guisarme stands couched in the stirrup like a lance.
He clears his throat, but waits for someone else to speak to the spatula-wielding man.

Sxoa
2008-02-18, 04:32 PM
Miyuki smiles warmly at the man from the back of her well laden camel, but defers to Paggan. While the young women seemed to have less formal training in the courts her natural charm more than made up for it, and she would be more acquainted with the northern customs. Miyuki didn't want to make another social blunder in less than a day.
While Paggan technically has lower Diplomacy modifier than Miyuki, she is significantly more acquainted with local customs. Is the guy speaking Common, Seric, or Meril? I presumed common, but I don't speak any of the others, to boot.

Zimmia
2008-02-18, 04:47 PM
Paggan

Paggan takes a moment to look sideways to Miyuki before prompting Alphie to move slightly forward at the mans question. "No good sir, we are not lost. We have come from Threshold in search of your camp as we have been told you can direct us to the cabin of Silas Redfern" she says in a respectful tone. "Would you be able to assist us?"

Did we remember to pick up Master Edgar?

Interesting decision in Miyuki's part - Paggan would have naturally deferred to her since her status is obviously higher than her own - after all she just may be Empress some day. That it's of a land Paggan doesn't really know doesn't matter all that much.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-18, 05:15 PM
(yes, he's speaking common)

"Redfern?" he says, then turns his head to the side and spits. "If ye be after Redfern, more's the power to ye." he lowers his spatula. "Crazy, he is. He be too much alone in these woods, if'n ye ask me."

He points his spatula over toward where the men are working at moving logs onto the wagon. "Ask 'em, if ye want. They'll tell ye the same. He be touched. He be crazy, runnin 'round wavin' them claws o' his. He's behind those attacks. We be sure of it...an that be why the boys jumped...." he stops, speaking right then, clamping his mouth shut.

He eyes the group, cautiously.
(sense motive, anyone?)

"Redfern, he have a place out there." he turns around and points his spatula in the direction of the dense woods. "That a-way." he says.

He looks back over his shoulder "Yer horses won't make it in thar." He jerks a thumb over to the corral. "Hitch 'em if ye want. We won't bother 'em, unless ye don't come back."

dyslexicfaser
2008-02-18, 05:21 PM
OOC: Oh, he's here, I just made the mistake of playing the strong, silent (or at least not very chatty) - not to mention suspicious and rather paranoid - type.

Edgar

As they make their way from Threshold to the logger's camp, Edgar has to marvel at the natural beauty of this place. He had always been a city rat at heart. His only real experiences with nature had involved a fearful flight through the Swamps of Barrazar - it was nice to see a place where nature was not actively out to get you.

Not that he was likely to ever entirely relax his guard. That got you killed, or worse.

Edgar listens to the conversation between Paggan and the local with only half an ear, his attention on the lush greenery around them - and what it might potentially conceal - until he catches phrases like 'waving those claws of his' and 'behind those attacks' and his focus is brought back to the old man.

He murmurs nearly under his breath, "Well now, what might this be about?"

Sense Motive: 1d20+7 D'oh - forgot you can't roll when editing a post. Got a 26 in the OOC thread.

Zimmia
2008-02-18, 05:43 PM
Paggan

He has... claws? Paggan asks with a slight frown on her face.

One sense motive coming up: [roll0]

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-18, 05:46 PM
Sage spend the time on his summoned pony on the way to the camp taking in the scenery and perhaps chatting idly with his traveling partners.

When they reach the camp, he listens to the old man's explanation intently and seems surprised by his words. "My, it seems sending several people was the right idea then..." He mutters to himself under his breath.

Rolls:Sense Motive: (1d20+1=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1499401/)

TheMeanDM
2008-02-18, 07:18 PM
It's pretty obvious to everyone that he is not talking about...something...what that might be is still unknown without more...persuasive...methods of asking, apparently.

However, from what you recall of Dominic's conversation, they want to question Silas about a fight he was involved in....perhaps it was a fight with the loggers?

"Aye, claws. He be thinkin' that nature be so grand and great that he be wantin' to fight like tha animals." he shrugs, and hobbles over to a pot that is suspended over the fire by a chain attached to a tall steel tripod. He takes a large wooden spoon out from underneath his apron. "So he be havin tha smith make him some weird metal claws."

fendrin
2008-02-18, 07:26 PM
Hekesh

Hekesh dismounts and leads his horse to the corral, listening carefully to the odd man.

[roll0] :smallbiggrin:
betcha I get 3's and 4's come combat... :smallannoyed:

Sxoa
2008-02-18, 07:27 PM
En route, Miyuki converses with Sage and Hekesh, trying to keep up with her small (1 rank) understanding of matters arcane. She also rides with Paggan for a while, learning about the holy warrior's divine lord.

At the camp Miyuki raises an eyebrow behind her mask as the man claps his mouth shut.
[roll0] Not that it matters after our inquisitor is through with him, but I hope might know something for myself before Edgar tells us.

I think she was referring to the man from the bar who was to accompany us.

I'm aware that Paggan is not from Almeric, but I presumed Trillian has more in common with the land then Shangtai does (like Germany, France and Switzerland have more in common with each other than any of them do with Japan or China.

Miyuki furthermore just looks weird. Her skin, clothes, and possibly he accent all mark her distinctly as an outsider. She is dressed in extremely fine clothing but wears a mask over her face. Paggan, while having a more imposing presence, I would think looks more like someone "the common man" 'round these parts would want to talk to. Presuming they're not engaged in any illegal activities which is becoming less certain I admit.

Miyuki also tries not to hold herself above anyone. She was born to a fisherman, and she knows what it's like on the bottom. She can come across as snobby sometimes because she had luxury and fineries when she was younger, but she's also slept out in the open and barracksed with some of Hyperborea's rough and tumble troops.

Zimmia
2008-02-18, 07:46 PM
Paggan decides to drop the questions since she's pretty sure this cook is going to stay tight-lipped unless they press him physically which is unnecessary at this stage. It's always good to meet someone with a different viewpoint on life, she says with a grin. Is there someone here who can be any more specific about where Redfern's cabin might be?

Seribro
2008-02-18, 08:13 PM
When Bresk notices the others dismount, he gladly follows their example. To finnaly get that tail out of a knot feels like heaven to his sorrow bottom. He sniffs around a bit to catch the odd scents the forest has to offer. It is different then the swamps of home, and also hard to make anything of it as the delicious smell of lunch keeps clouding up your nose. Oh well, he never was the best tracker of the pack. But practishss makes maszter, Shjammie alwaysssaid he grins to himself as he walks back to the group gathering at the coockingpot.
We huntsz from here?

Sxoa
2008-02-19, 12:52 AM
Miyuki dismounts Rakuda and leads the bactrian camel over to the corral. She doesn't tie the camel, but holds his face in front of hers while looking him the eye. "Stay," she says firmly in Mu. She joins the others as they gather. "Is it a far walk?" she asks pleasently.

dyslexicfaser
2008-02-19, 03:33 AM
Edgar

It was obvious to Edgar that man was lying, or at least omitting part of the truth.

Thankfully, even if being persuasive had never been one of his strong suits, he had other ways of uncovering information. As soon as the old man began hobbling away, he withdrew his holy symbol, began murmuring a prayer to his God to allow him to reveal what the cook was hiding, and focused his gaze on the old man by the fire.

Casting my Domain spell, Detect Thoughts on the old guy: will save DC of 15, I think? It's normally a 2nd level spell, but the Truth domain gives it out at first level.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-19, 07:32 AM
for Edgar, using his spell

Hope they finish the job that the boys tried starting. Damned Redfern, killing those guys like he did. Gutting them with those damn claws of his. Well, they boys will be upset they didn't get to do it themselves, but at least it'll get done.

"Ye be needin ta walk that way for a couple 'o miles. He be around there, I think."

fendrin
2008-02-19, 09:07 AM
Hekesh

Hekesh watches Edgar cast his spell.
I wonder what he is casting? I should have payed more attention during my spell identification lessons.

OOC:DOH! I forgot spellcraft was trained only... no ranks = no check... :smallmad:

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-19, 12:23 PM
Sage dismounts his pony and ties it up. He gets the attention of one of the coral workers and says, "If my horse disappears in a few hours or so, don't be alarmed or anything. It just means the spell's time is up."

He raises an eyebrow as he watches Edgar cast his spell.

Taking ten on a spellcraft check results in a 19 for me. If you don't allow take 10s on spellcraft, I'll edit this with a roll later.

Threeshades
2008-02-19, 04:14 PM
Kilbain turns to the side and slides out of the saddle with a notable lack of grace, but as he drops to the ground, he lands in a firm stance.
"Good good, I dinnae trust these beasties very much te begin with. However I admit they be useful!"
He walks over to the hunched man and takes a peak into the kettle.
"Say, what be ye cookin' in there, lad?"

Sxoa
2008-02-19, 07:59 PM
After the man answers Kilbain, Myuki asks for a description of Redfern.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-19, 08:24 PM
"He be.." he looks Edgar up and down "..about his height. He be having dark hair, long too. He be having a scar on his face." he traces a line down his right cheek. "Here." he says.

ooc:

I don't see why you couldn't take 10 on a spell craft

Zimmia
2008-02-19, 08:39 PM
Paggan takes Alphie over to the coral and makes sure he has water etc, then rejoins the others.

dyslexicfaser
2008-02-19, 08:47 PM
(OOC: You can take 10 anytime you're not in a combat situation, right?)

Edgar

Edgar's mind works through what his spell has told him. So, Redfern has killed people. But 'the boys'.. the loggers, perhaps?.. likely attempted to kill him as well, and planned to try again. Revenge? Murder? Or self-defense? He couldn't be sure.

"Thank you. We will have to seek him out." Edgar said. He tried to temper his voice, but he feared it came out calculating and cold.

He would have to wait until they left the clearing to inform his new comrades of what he had learned.

Sxoa
2008-02-19, 09:36 PM
(It's any time you're not being rushed. Combat always rushes you)

"Well then, shall we?" Miyuki gestures towards the woods in the direction indicated.

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-19, 09:44 PM
((I've had DMs who wouldn't allow take 10 on stuff related to magic, like spellcraft. Just wanted to make sure.))

Sage identifies the spell quickly and easily, raising an eyebrow and smirking as he finishes tying up his pony. He thinks to himself "Clever, that. I should add something like that to my spellbook... If I were to go into infiltration and information gathering, anyway."

Sage simply nods as Miyuki points to the woods.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-19, 09:47 PM
Kilbain:

The old chef looks at the dwarf. "Meat stew." he says, with an air of pride. "It be for lunch."

A couple of the loggers come over, apparently noticing the group now that they're taking a break from their heavy lifting.

"What do these folks want, Cookie?" one of the men asks, wiping sweat from his brow with the black of his sleeve.

"They be goin to find that murderous git Redfern." he says.

"Good, string him up high in those trees he cares so much about, hang his heels high...really high. " the second logger says. The first logger gives him an unhappy glance/look.

"What?" he asks the first man. "You know what he did to Jake and Bruce."

The first logger shakes his head and sighs, as if he had argued with the man about this subject before. "Whatever you say." he says, turning around and starting to head back to where the wagons are.

fendrin
2008-02-19, 10:42 PM
Hekesh

"We will be bringing him in to the town to be judged for the crimes he is accused of."

This Redfern sounds more like the victim of prejudice than a proven criminal. If he cares for trees, he would naturally come into conflict with loggers. If he is not the killer, though, there must be something else dangerous about.

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-19, 10:48 PM
Sage raises an eyebrow at the words of the new arrivals. "Hrm... I hate to seem like I'm butting in where I'm not welcome, but I'm curious. Is there anyone about who saw what happened personally?" he asks the two men. "Perhaps 'tis not my place, but I'd rather know more of this situation."

TheMeanDM
2008-02-19, 11:10 PM
"Jake and Bruce were out cutting down a pretty big tree, and Redfern jumped 'em. He'd been snooping around us for a few days, thinking that we didn't see him moving through the trees." the logger snorts.

"Well, it was getting on to the end of the day, and we was packing up to head back here to camp. We didn't see Jake and Bruce come back, so we went lookin. Found 'em..." his hands clench and his teeth grit in anger "...found was was left of 'em, more like it. There aint nothin natural in these woods that leaves claw marks like what we saw on them." he is seething with anger. "That's when we knew it was Redfern."

Sxoa
2008-02-19, 11:27 PM
Miyuki leaves enough time for the logger to get clear of the group, "Your stew looks like a hearty meal for a hearty men master chef. It smells delicious, truly these men are lucky to have your talents. If you will excuse me... She bows and catches up with the logger who left,
Greetings, I am Bayushi Miyuki. Perhaps you could tell me your side of things?[ She flashes him her most winning smile.
In case it matters she takes 10 on her diplomacy check so 21. If it's rushed then [roll0]

Seribro
2008-02-20, 06:37 AM
A bear or other predator would not leave meal behind. If there wasss no eating, they then be killed in anger.
Bresk mingles in with his hissing voice.
But why? Forest not diesss from chopping a few treesss. Wasss there sssomething speshial about that big one?

TheMeanDM
2008-02-20, 07:27 AM
"Thanks" he says as he continues stirring.

When you ask the question of the other logger:

The man sighs and shrugs. "Let's say I have a different opinion on the matter. Sure, Silas is a bit weird. Yeah, he's said that we need to be more careful or else nature will 'strike back'." he runs a hand through his sweaty hair. "I just think that...well...some wild animal could have done this, is all."

The logger nods at Bresk "See, he's got it right. Torn apart them two were." He waves a hand at the forest "A tree is a tree is a tree. Aint no difference between 'em."

Sxoa
2008-02-20, 09:14 AM
"What kinds of animals live in these woods? Bears? Wolves? Anything supernatural? Anything intelligent besides humans?"

TheMeanDM
2008-02-20, 09:24 AM
He shrugs. "I don't know much about the woods. I just took this job a couple months ago to support my wife and boys." He thinks a minute "Bears, I suppose. Sure there have been wolves too. But I've noticed that most animals stay away from the spots we are cutting in."

Sxoa
2008-02-20, 10:40 AM
"Hmmm... and no monster tracks or the like, no sign of goblinoids or orcs? Miyuki absentmindedly tucks some stray hairs behind her ear. Well then, thank you for your time. I promise you we will investigate the matter evenhandedly and we will try not to jump to conclusions. She bows and rejoins her comrades.

fendrin
2008-02-20, 10:52 AM
Hekesh

"So there could be something else out there. You just assume that Redfern is the only unnatural thing with claws. For that matter, many wild animals leave food behind. Hyenas live primarily off of the lions leave behind from their kills. Bears who catch fish eat just the organs and roe, leaving behind much of what we would choose to eat. For that matter, many animal attacks on humans are about territory or self defense, not food."
He shrugs.
"Something is making these woods unsafe, and it will be dealt with, whether or not it is this Redfern."

((OOC: What can I say? Maybe I watch a little too much Discovery Channel.))

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-20, 11:12 AM
All this talk about how different animals eviscerate their pray seems to be putting Sage on edge. He shakes his head, holds up his hands, and says evenly, "The end result is that we need to consider that maybe this was done by someone or something besides Redfern, since apparently no one saw it actually happen." He turns to the logger that had accused the ranger and adds, "Though we most certainly shouldn't discount him either."

Seribro
2008-02-20, 02:10 PM
Bresk nods a bit at the declaration animals kill for other reasons as well, though his absent mindedness shows that although he cant deny it, he isn't convinced that this could just be an animals job.
Could we shee the bodiesz of the men and the playsh where you found them? If what you say be right... perhaps there iszzz another posshibility. But whe needz to shee them furst.

TheMeanDM
2008-02-20, 02:59 PM
The cook gets a surprised look on his face "No, ye not be seein the bodies! They be taken back home to be buried!" he mutters something unintelligible as he turns again to his cooking.

"About a mile that way" the logger says, pointing north. "Follow the log trail if you want. But Redfern is that way." he says, scowling, pointing east.

A sharp whistle cuts the air, and you see the men by the wagon motioning for the pair to rejoin them.

Miyuki:
The man nods at you, and then returns to his comrades.

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-20, 03:20 PM
Sage nods and bids farewell to the two men before turning back to the group. "A sinister story indeed... Methinks it best to find Redfern and get his story next."

fendrin
2008-02-20, 04:52 PM
Hekesh

"Indeed."
He says to Sage. He begins walking in the direction the cook indicated is where Redfern could be found.

Seribro
2008-02-20, 06:18 PM
Bresk looks to the north for a moment, pondering what to do. But then he discards the idea and walks after Hekesh. He ensures his club is hanging properly and his loin cloths is keeping him decent. While walking he jerks a bit at the different pieces of his studded leather armour, adjusting the belts a bit to make it sit more comfortable. Its not really hard to tell he still needs to get used to wearing one a bit.
Shirna tugzug mehr krucht!

TheMeanDM
2008-02-20, 07:58 PM
You walk into the forest. Around the camp the vegetation is sparse, the influence of the loggers readily apparent. As you progress further from the camp the foliage becomes much more dense. Green plants living upon the forest floor grasp at your feet and legs as you stride ahead. The towering trees overhead filter the sunlight, an occasional break in the branches letting the sunbeams cascade down, accentuating the emerald green of the trees and plants.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/89/274917370_30472ea739.jpg

After awhile of struggling through the thick undergrowth, you see that the ftrees are beginning to thin and the sunlight is beginning to grow brighter.

You find yourself in a break in the forest, which stretches north and south. This natural break in the trees extends about thirty feet before the trees start growing again. A small creek, no more than a foot or two deep and two or three feet wide, runs through the middle of the break.

On the other side of the creek, near to where the trees begin again, is a rounded wooden shelter of some sort. The sides of the shelter appear to be made from bark, held in form by bent tree limbs and vines twisted into servicible rope.

http://www.primitivetechnologies.com/wigwam.jpg

There is a small campfire out front. Suspended over the fire upon a makeshift spit is some small animal...possibly a rabbit. The animal, however, is barely recognizible as it is very much charred, and quite close to being consumed by the flames of the campfire.

Sxoa
2008-02-20, 08:10 PM
If there is nothing else being done at the camp to keep her there Miyuki follows to the men.
"Bresk, some day we will have to sit down and have you teach me your tongue. I dabbled in it a bit when I was younger but I'm afraid I left home before my studies really got me anywhere." She smiles though makes sure to not bear her teeth.

(oops, I thought I posted that before your description of the woods, this is for when we get there then)

Miyuki steps forward into the clearing, making herself clearly visible, her hands away from her weapons.
"Hello! Mr. Redfern? Are you here? We'd like to speak to you if you'd be so kind! Also I think your lunch is burning!"

TheMeanDM
2008-02-21, 02:44 PM
The only answer to Miyuki is the crackling of the fire, the sizzling of the burning flesh of the animal, and nothing else.

dyslexicfaser
2008-02-21, 03:07 PM
Edgar

Edgar frowned thoughtfully. "He left his meal to burn? He can't have been too long gone. Did he know we were coming and flee?"

He added, "If he knows these woods as well as I suspect he does, I do not know if we could find him. Perhaps we should search his hut."

Threeshades
2008-02-21, 03:23 PM
"I be in fer that!", Kilbain grins and walks over to the hut while drawing his axes. He enters through the small opening and takes a careful look around without waiting for further comments by his companions.

Search check: [roll0]
Searching for anything that might give a clue on where the huts inhabitant might be, and how and why he went there. Also on anything that might be of use, in case he has no need for his equipment in the future anymore (means: if he might be found dead sooner or later, or right now)

Proven_Paradox
2008-02-21, 03:50 PM
Sage stands outside the hut, keeping a nervous eye out for anything out of place.

Spot: (1d20+1=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1502979/) (Can't see s**t, captain!)

TheMeanDM
2008-02-21, 04:18 PM
Kilbain:

Inside the hut you find that it is a single room. A woven reed mat covers the dirt floor. A thick pile of furs seems to serve as a bed, on the right side of the hut. A large black bear skin lays on top of it. Hanging on a peg looks to be a leather belt and some extra pairs of breeches.

Sage:
You notice nothing unusual. It looks like a normal campsite.

fendrin
2008-02-21, 04:29 PM
Hekesh

"Something is not right."
Hekesh looks around for anything out of the ordinary, like signs of a struggle.

[roll0]
[roll1]

TheMeanDM
2008-02-21, 05:58 PM
Hekesh notices an impression in the dirt near the fire.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2203/2282791032_19964cbdbe_o.jpg

It's quite large, about half-again as long as Hekesh's hand, and perhaps twice as wide.

Seribro
2008-02-21, 06:33 PM
Bresk grabs the end of the spit and lifts the rabbit out of the fire. Still smouldering and smoking he takes the thing to the creek and holds it down into the water for a few seconds. When he pulls it out again he sits down and begins to peal the burned skin off to reveal the well done meat beneath it. Anything to burned or to raw he throws aside while enjoying the parts that are still good. He also decides that this is the perfect spot to refill his waterskin in order to evade the necessity to drink the poison humans dare to call ale. He had to admit though, if they could actually live on that stuff, then perhaps they weren't as weak as legends said they were.

While he sits there, enjoying lunch, he looks around a bit to see if there are any signs around from this Redfern guy. After all, the lodgers did say he liked to sneak around in the shadows. Perhaps seeing the party invade his territory and eating his meal could anger him enough to lose his caution so he might give himself away

[roll0]spot

Sxoa
2008-02-21, 06:37 PM
Miyuki calmy takes the burning meat of the fire. She examines it to see if anything can be salvaged, taking out her knife and clearing away the totally charred inedible bits. Once done, she puts it near the fire to stay warm, but not so close as to reburn.

Miyuki scans the trees and everything else, seeing if she can spot anything living besides them. She calls out again, Mr. Redfern! Please come out! We just want to talk to you!
Rolled a 20 in OOC thread

TheMeanDM
2008-02-21, 06:51 PM
heh..do we need to roll initiative to see who gets the meat first? :smallbiggrin:

Bresk's attention is quite focused on the task at hand: dismantling the charred remains of the rabbit(?).

Zimmia
2008-02-21, 07:40 PM
Paggan too walks carefully around the camp, eyes open to anything that might be out of the ordinary.

Sorry to be gone for so long - my car is dead and other calamities

SSL's for good measure:
Search: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]