PDA

View Full Version : Monk of Tied Hands PrC [PEACH]

Caracol
2008-01-31, 08:16 PM
PLEASE DELETE THIS, already posted in Homebrew.
This is my first post and first try - be kind (and honest) :smallredface:

MONK OF TIED HANDS
Somebody does it for an faithful oath, somebody does it to expiate their faults, and somebody does it just for the taste of the challenge. The choice to not use your hands anymore is difficult, and few adventures are strong enough to cope with it.
The Monks of Tied Hands abolishe the use of their hands, even in their daily life: some of them bind their hands with chains or bracers, some cuts them to never fall in the temptation. They choose this limitation to prove to themselves and to their gods that they are worthy enough. But if they lack in this, they compensate well: they specialize in the use of their legs to change them in useful tools and deadly weapons. Their style is unmatched if it comes to kicks: they can deliver devastating blows, jump like no one and perform the most umbelievable acrobatics.
Almost all Monk of Tied Hands comes from the Monk class, but some fighters choose this class as well.
Hit Dice: d8

Restrictions
To become a Monk of Tied Hands, a character must meet the following requisitions:
Alignment: Any Lawful.
BAB: +4.
Balance: 4 ranks.
Jump: 4 ranks.
Tumble: 4 ranks.
Feats: Unarmed Strike.
Special: The character must live for a month without using his hands.

Class Skills
Balance, Escape Artist, Hide,Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Perform(acrobacy) Profession, Sense Motive, Swim, Tumble.
Skill points per level: 4+Int modifier

Custom
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+0|+2|+2|+2|Hands ban, Round kick, Use feet -6

2nd|+1|+3|+3|+3|Trip kick, Unarmed damage 1d10

3rd|+2|+3|+3|+3|Acrobatics, +1AC

4th|+3|+4|+4|+4|Thrust kick

5th|+3|+4|+4|+4|Axe kick, Use feet -4, Unarmed damage 2d6

6th|+4|+5|+5|+5|Backwards kick

7th|+5|+5|+5|+5|Double kick

8th|+6|+6|+6|+6|Flying kick, +2 AC

9th|+6|+6|+6|+6|Wall run, Unarmed damage 2d8

10th|+7|+7|+7|+7|Ki kick, Use feet -2

[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and armor proficiency: A Monk of Tied Hands does not gain any weapon or armor proficiency. Plus, he couldn't use weapon properly (see Hand Ban).
Hand Ban: A Monk of Tied Hands cannot use his hand for any action: if he does so, he loses his class bonuses and cannot gain new levels in this class. An expiation of his faults could let him regain the bonuses.
Use feet: A Monk of Tied Hands could use his feet istead of his hands to do anything he wants, (even using a weapon), but with a penality of -6 to the action or the skill check. This penality reduces to -4 at 5th level and to -2 at 10th level. He can use one foot standing up on the other, but have to perform a Balance check.
Round kick: A Monk of Tied Hands can deliver a powerful kick that has a +1 to the attack bonus and a +1 to the damage bonus.
Trip kick:A Monk of Tied Hands can deliver a kick that doesn't do damage but gives a free Trip attempt with a +4 bonus to the roll.
Unarmed damage: Monk of Tied Hands kicks do 1d10 damage at 2nd level, 2d6 at 5th level and 2d8 at 9th level.
Acrobatics: A Monk of Tied Hands gains a +4 insight bonus to Balance, Jump and Tumble checks.
Thrust kick:With a full round action, a Monk of Tied Hands can deliver a very powerful frontal kick, increasing the critical by 2 and pushing backwards the foe, with a free Trip attempt.
Axe kick:A Monk of Tied Hands can deliver a powerful axe kick that stuns the opponent (Fortitude negates CD 10+Monk of Tied Hands levels + Wis modifier.)
Backwards kick:A Monk of Tied Hands can deliver a kick directed to his back, without turning. In this way he can respond to attacks from behind and can't be taken off guard.
Double kick:With a full round action, a Monk of Tied Hands can deliver a kick followed by another at -2/-2 to the attack bonus. This ability can be used with the Flurry of Blows.
Flying kick:A Monk of Tied Hands can deliver kick during Jump or Tumbe checks. He gains a -1 to the attack roll and +1d6 of damage for every 6m of falling.
Wall run: A Monk of Tied Hands can strenghten his legs to the almost impossible: he can run on every vertical surface, using his Tumble check istead of the Climb skill.
Ki kick:Gathering his inner energy, with a full round action, a Monk of Tied Hands can deliver a devastating single blow to an opponent, damaging him up to half his hit points. (Fortitude negates DC 10+Half of Monk of Tied Hands levels + Wis modifier)

And that's it. Please, comment and give me advices, I strongly need them.
Tell me what you think about the concept, the character develop, the class features....

Night10194
2008-01-31, 09:58 PM
Well, firstly, the flavor of the class is interesting and fits well with the crazy self-denial-in-search-of-enlightenment-and-pummeling feel monks tend to have.

Secondly, the balancing is off...they're a bit weak, considering how crushing their disadvantage (no hands!) is compared to their bonuses, since they seem to get almost the exact same features as normal monks. Try to find a way to make them somewhat more powerful...Think about the legs vs. the hands. Perhaps give them Reach if they desire it, to illustrate the long reach of a leg vs. an arm. Remember, the monk is giving up use of their hands for *anything* based on this class; they ought to get some serious mastery of the advantages legs can bring to combat as a result.

Other possibilities: Increase Strength when using the legs, maybe +1 per 2 levels, to illustrate how much excercise their legs are getting, and just how strong your legs can be.

Also, I have to ask...Is this inspired by Regal of Tales of Symphonia, or do you do Tae-kwon-do? Or both? Just curious.

Caracol
2008-01-31, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the reply. We are already discussing this class in the link I posted, and somebody else has already pointed out the some weaknesses.
Damage could be boosted using the abilities well (I'm oriented by making limited use of them by now), but a +2 enanchment could be added, I agree.
I don't know what Tales of Symponia is, but I sure like Taek won Do!!! But believe it or not, I was not inspired by it. The class concept came into my mind, and after that I use taek won do techniques as a reference.