PDA

View Full Version : Greater Visage of the Deity

Cuddly
2008-01-31, 10:54 PM
When an artificer or archivist persists GVotD, can they choose if they want to be a half fiend or half celestial, regardless of their alignment? Or must they be neutral? Or what?

Fax Celestis
2008-02-01, 12:43 AM
Nope. The spell is still based upon alignment, so you've got to go with what your alignment actually is.

Duke of URL
2008-02-01, 09:21 AM
Nope. The spell is still based upon alignment, so you've got to go with what your alignment actually is.

Since I presume the artificer is making a UMD check to do this, can he try a higher DC to emulate a different alignment? :smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2008-02-01, 10:21 AM
Personally I'd rule that the alignment in question was set down when the scroll/wand/etc was created. Just using the scroll has no alignment requirement, so he can cast any scroll as normal, using the standard UMD check.

If the Artificer is creating a scroll of it, and wants to create a version opposed to his alignment, I'd say he has to make a UMD check for that. Creating a version that's appropriate to his alignment wouldn't require an extra check.

He can't change the type of VotD of an already-written scroll. That would be like allowing a UMD check to change a scroll of Fireball into a scroll of Acidball.

If an Archivist is casting the spell (just plain casting, not from a scroll, etc) then I'd say that UMD is not an option. There's no magic device in use. You can either cast it, or you can't.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-01, 11:45 AM
Since I presume the artificer is making a UMD check to do this, can he try a higher DC to emulate a different alignment? :smallbiggrin:

Since the spell in question alters dependent upon the caster's alignment, you certainly can. UMD is great like that.