PDA

View Full Version : Warlock, Modified [PEACH]

DEFCON Clown
2008-02-02, 11:09 AM
I'm planning to make the BBEG in my game a high level Warlock. Of course the problem being the a high level Warlock kinda sucks like nobody's business. So I'm making some changes to the class. Please let me know what you think.

Changes:
Increases

Hit Die:d6
Skill Points at first level:(4+Int Modifier) x4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4+Int Modifier

Additions
1st- Eldritch Shield
3rd- Eldritch Power
4th- Eldritch Retribution
8th- Eldritch Assault

Eldritch Shield
On any round where you don't use Eldritch Blast you may use Eldritch Shield. Eldritch Shield provides an unnamed deflection bonus to your AC. This bonus is equal to the number of dice you have of Eldritch Blast.

Eldritch Power
You may add your Cha modifier (up +4) to the damage done by each die of Eldritch Blast you have.

Eldritch Retribution
Three times per day when you are attacked (and take damage) you may immediately use your Eldritch Blast against one of the people who attacked you. You may only use this ability against people who attack you with melee weapons, or touch spells (including ranged touch spells and also spell like abilities such as another Warlock's Eldritch Blast). You must still roll to hit that person but you receive a +5 to hit them. If you are attacked by multiple people who deal you damage in the same round you must choose which one you will use Eldritch Retrbution on. If an attack does enough damage to kill or knock you unconcious you may not use Eldritch Retribution.

Eldritch Assault
As a full round action you may use Eldritch Blast to make multiple attacks. The number of Blasts you can use is the same as the number of Attacks Per Round you would get from you BAB. These additional Eldritch Blasts do not have to have the same target. None of these Eldritch Blasts may be modified.
You may use Eldritch Assault a number of times per day equal to your Warlock Level divided by 4 with no rounding.

FlyMolo
2008-02-02, 11:18 AM
This is pretty awesome, and totally flavorful. I always liked warlocks, and this looks like exactly right for a BBEG. As a player, might be a little overpowered. With Eldritch Assault, you can literally create a 270 degree arc of devastation. If your enemies are more spread out, Eldritch Chain+Eldritch Assault=12-16 hits per round? something crazy. Go on, blind 12 people every round AND deal 9d6 damage. or blind 4 people 3 times.

This rocks, but it makes the warlock obviously more powerful than almost any other class. Eldritch retribution and Eldritch Assault in particular, are most borken. In terms of balance, this sucks. In terms of me wanting to play a warlock like this, this rocks. Although people rank warlocks pretty low on the balance scale, and hey, they deserve some more love.

DEFCON Clown
2008-02-02, 11:29 AM
Would changing Eldritch Assault so that you cannot use it with modified Eldritch Blasts make it better?

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-02, 11:30 AM
Eldritch Power
You may add your Cha modifier to the damage done by each die of Eldritch Blast you have.

This is definitely too much.

Eldritch Shield is also rather overpowered. You may want to replace it with EB damage/2.

Warlocks are already better than almost all forms of melee fighters, this just removes the point of having one. Note: Eldritch Assault is already viable through Eldritch Glaive.

Doberler
2008-02-02, 11:43 AM
I do love the raw power that you're introducing here, however as a playable class its WAY too OP. one of the reasons that the warlock HD is as low as it is, is simply because the warlock in general has no business in melee due to the fact that his primary ability provokes AoO's when engaged in melee and thats why he has the same HD and BAB as many support characters.
I CAN agree with the skill point increase however. the whole 2+int never sat well with me.
Eldritch Shield, Eldritch Retribution and Eldritch Assault are also brilliant ideas that need a little tweaking

Here's what I think should be changed about this:

HD should stay at d6
I'm a little iffy on the eldritch power ability due to the fact that you CAN feat for a little extra damage modifier... but the feats that are out there take a chain of them to get a +2 bonus, however, that is severely abusable at high levels, even more so if from a race or template that grants a +2 or +4 to cha though truth be told it is no more abusable than being a fighter with a race that grants +ridiculous to Str.
I can't find anything wrong with the Eldritch Shield... Thats a pretty well rounded ability...
Eldritch Retribution needs only one stipulation in my opinion and thats to limit it somehow, an ability like that is TOO abusable and I would say limit it to once per encounter for every 4 levels of Warlock or something similar which would give a Lvl 20 Warlock 5 times per encounter.
Eldritch Assault is something I PERSONALLY would nix entirely. Main reason is that shortly thereafter, a warlock would be able to take the Quicken Spell-Like Ability feat, making it even more broken still. But if you feel that you need this, then the best fix I can offer is to limit it to 1/day or once per day per X levels of Warlock
You wrote Eldritch Shield as a 12th level ability... I don't know why thats there.

That is my opinion... feel free to disregard any or all of the above mentioned suggestions.

/opinion

DEFCON Clown
2008-02-02, 12:40 PM
Made some changes.