PDA

View Full Version : The Killing Edge - Chapter One.



Thanatos 51-50
2008-02-02, 03:43 PM
Dawn:
The herald ofnew things, that which marks the begining. When the Sun crests over the horizon and spreads golden rays of light and warmth of the land, slowly and surely arcing though the sky in an arc of life-giving energy.

Today a chain of events are started by a man draped in a royal purple cloak, leaning aginst the neck of a black stallion, cluthing faded parchment in his sweating right hand. As the sun breaks over the trade village of Naraeton, he whells his mount into the center of town, bringin the stallion to rear, and he cries out in a voice which shakes the pebbles at his feet.

"Hear ye, citizens of Naraeton!" he cires, "Our Lord King has issued an edict. As you well know, to the East, we have the Lands of the Sangre Desert, populated by many a nomad and cutlture. For too long, Our King has decided, we have let the Green Hills stand between us, and our fellow sentients. As such, he has charged all present, and given them the duty to take on ADVENTURE! FAME! GLORY!"
He calls, manicured and noble voice spreading throughout the village, drawing the attention of many a commoner around, and the ears for four particular denizens.
It is these four who are important, and these four who, in answereing the call, will for the next link in a Great Chain of events.
[hr]
Welcome to:
THE KILLING EDGE
[hr]
Setting info:

The village of Naraeton (Procounced "Nah-RAY-ton") sits at the borders of the Kingdom Baelistrae (Pronounced "Bay-LEAST-ray"), in a mountain range somewhat decievingly named The Green Hills. It sits at the mouth of Snake Pass, and on endpoint of The Royal Road of Baelistrae. Shortly though this path lay the leeward side of The Green Hills, an area dubbed "The Sangre Desert" by Baelistrans.
More World History to be discussed at a later date.
[hr]
Ready, Set, Roleplay!

Bushwhacked
2008-02-02, 08:14 PM
An elven girl, fair in appearance, sits alone above the crowds on a stone wall. She wears a loose but fetching outfit that suits her well and holds near her mouth a delicate wooden flute with a ring hanging from one end by a small chain.

Music rolls out, over the upturned buckler beneath her dangling feet (containing a few copper and silver coins to inspire the generosity of the audience) and over the heads of the crowds going about their daily lives. Some ears are perked, some stop a moment to watch but most walk idly by and fail to realise that she is watching them.

Placidly sitting there, letting the waves of the crowd and the tune from her lips entrance her, she eye's a patch of purple. The man it belongs to is also placing himself above the crowd and it seems for good reason.
Now we're a little fancy to be just passing through this street aren't we sir?

She lowers her instrument and takes a closer look; he's royally appointed... well that was obvious she frowns for a moment thinking but then he suddenly cries out "Hear ye, citizens of Naraeton!"...


perform:[roll0]
knowlage (nobility and royalty):[roll1] (oops that should be +6)

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2008-02-03, 01:48 PM
A long-haired man of orcish descent lets out a deep grunt as his flame-like eyes bore daggers into the back of the haughty, violet man astride the steed; his heavy, ornate saddle would be uncomfrotable for the horse. Nearly so uncomfortable as Manifest Destiny being declared upon his people was for Khoray Ba'Aduur, who had come to revile this man within a few moments of his arrival, but who needed a way back into the desert. There were some fellow sentients he would certainly like to get his hands on.

Khoray does not speak as much as he used to, prefering his own company to that of city strangers and silent contemplation of how to right his wrong, but when words are called for, Khoray will not remain silent befre any man, noble or otherwise. "What adventure," the nomad calls out to him, loudly, through tusked teeth, "Is this duty?"

Rodgin
2008-02-03, 02:18 PM
Brie decided that today was a fine day for a strole. The voice of a town crier caught her attention and she listened in earnest. The music from a local bard caught her ear as well, and she moved over there as the man finished his announcement.

"How exciting," she said to the bard, dropping a gold piece into her shield. "If only I had someone to go that way with. An adventure in the uncivilized Green Hills! Oh, I would even consider paying someone to escort me."

Bushwhacked
2008-02-03, 10:37 PM
She smiles down at Brie before letting herself drop from the wall.
"Thank you" picking up the buckler and empting its contents into one hand, a whole gold peice for that? it wasn't even that good "Funnily, I was just thinking the same thing. I've spent a little to much time in this town. Although from the sounds of it I dont think we'll have to pay anyone off."

She becons Brie to follow while she shoulders her pack and makes for the man in violet "Just follow my lead..." she then stops and looks back "Oh! Almost forgot, i'm Lucinda". She shoots off another quick smile and canters on ahead.

Rodgin
2008-02-03, 10:47 PM
"The pleasure is all mine," Brie says with an enthusiastic smile. "My name is Brie Chandres. What do you have in mind?"

Brie follows Lucinda closely, knowing the bard probably knows more about how to get out to the Green Hills. The beginning of an adventure was always the most exciting.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-02-03, 10:52 PM
The man smiles down at the half-orc.
"The adventure is simple!" he proclaims happily. "All Our King is looking for is to hiure, tough, hardy adventurers to serve as an emmissary. They are to deliver this paper to one of the nomad leaders. We wish to put forth a good face, and so, Our Wise King thought 'Why not send out a call for adventurers! Desert-folk respect the tough, let us send them something they'll respect!' Most wise, he is."
With a beaming smile designed to make a maiden swoon, he continues, seemingly oblivious of Khoray's distaste.
"Do you volunteer, noble warrior?"

Bushwhacked
2008-02-03, 11:02 PM
"Well Brie, do you know much about about dress codes?" looks her up and down but doesn't wait for an answer. "Well our mounted messenger here is wearing purple, an expensive coloured dye to make, and around here its usually worn by royalty... or the royally appointed."

She keeps looking back to make sure Brie is keeping up and can still hear. "Well from what i heard, our boy in purple there is looking for people to do his work for him" she smirks "and he's rich enough to pay".

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2008-02-04, 05:36 PM
"Aye, I'll go," Khoray nods, keeping his distaste and his comments about exactly how much his people would respect someone paying another to do their dirty work, for a chance to to return to the desert with a party of allies without harming his people unduly. After all, it wasn't a mission of conquest, supposedly. If it was, Khoray would redeem some of his burden by breaking off and warning his tribe.

The_JJ
2008-02-04, 08:05 PM
Harry 'Seldom' Speaks is a quiet cleric who for unknow reasons spends much of his life wandering just the wilds described, preaching his unamed philosiphy with considerable skill and almost never speaking to strangers other wise. Khoray might recognize him as a familier sight in these border towns, and amon the camps of 'barbarians.' Now he slowly walks up to the messenge. Uncomftorably begins Sir, I have decided it would be good if I were to cross the desert acompanied by others. I will go.

Rodgin
2008-02-04, 08:52 PM
Brie nodded, taking in Lucinda's words, trying to wrap her brain around everything. Needless to say, it didn't work well and soon she was lost in the swirling crowd, only kept grounded by the fact she was still following the bard.

"Tell him we will go," Brie said, tugging at Lucinda's sleeve. She was excited like she hadn't been in years. A trip to the desert! And with such rugged men! She could barely contain herself.

Bushwhacked
2008-02-05, 05:52 AM
"Thats good" She said to Brie as they finally neared the messenger.

Taking care to make sure she was standing just right to show of the rapier's hilt at her hip, Lucinda announced to the messenger "We will go, can you tell us the details?"

The_JJ
2008-02-05, 05:46 PM
Harry glances at the two newcomers, sizing them up. Then he shifts his weight from foot to foot, staring at nothing, waiting for the messenger to speak again, a tranquil island in the crowd.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-02-06, 06:13 PM
After looking around and seeing no further volunteers, the horseman looks at the four spread before him.
"I have in my hand an important document which the King wishes delivered to the hands of a Tribal Leader out in the desert. I am authorised to offer a sum of forty gold as an incentive. Seeing as I have four volunteers - thats ten gold each given 'ere the start of you journey."
The messenger withdraws a stack of gold wrapped in paper from his belt and lets it drop to the ground.
"And theres more for when you return. Far out into the desert, we suspect the nomads roam. We predict approximatly one fortnight of travel before meeting a tribe, a week, if you have someone who know the nomadic ways leading. We have, however, one condition.
That you, as Royally Appointed Messengers adhere to the Messenger's Code and do NOT open the parcel with which you are entrusted.Swear this on your Honor, but understand that your life is forfiet for breaking said Honor."

The_JJ
2008-02-06, 06:52 PM
Hales
The cleric nods.
I understand.
He takes his gold, and looks to the others.
I'll be back soon.
He then buys himself a new waterskin plus some extra deserty gear for the trip.
to see how well I know what I need. Survival check
[roll0]

Rodgin
2008-02-06, 09:31 PM
They'll kill us for looking, Brie asked, looking at Lucinda, shock etched clearly on her face. I hadn't planned on looking anyway, but that makes me want to stay home.

Picking up the gold, she smiles. It is the first time she was ever paid for doing something. And by the King! She couldn't contain her excitement, so she started playing with a gold coin. She had to do something to channel her nervous energy.

So where do I meet you, Brie asked, her voice belying her excitement. I have to go tell my parent's goodbye and get my things.

Bushwhacked
2008-02-07, 12:04 PM
"Then don't think on it Brie." She takes her share of the gold and passes the remainder of the bag to the large quiet one.

Holds her hand out for the box and tells the messenger "I swear." and then to Brie letting Khoray hear "I'll not leave without you and I think we all have things to do. Remember to get some food and water." She packs the box and makes for the market to buy a weeks rations and another waterskin.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-02-12, 10:13 PM
The_JJ:
Give me an exact list - prices as per the SRD, all you can think of is food and water - and maybe some light, light-colored clothing [spoiler]

Rodgin & Bushwacked.:
[spoiler] IT shure is pudy weather, today! Further descriptions will require a DC20 Knowledge (Weather) or (Nature) check - and then you'll just get a bunch of fancy, modern lingo for "far skies, calm winds",so don't bother. :smalltongue:

Big V (I'm not even going to TRY...):

You are suddenly attacked by the QIS box! Seriously, man, are you in the world, still?

The_JJ
2008-02-13, 06:33 PM
I'll by 20 days worth of rations. That's all the money I have. I'm gonna assume my cloths are at least resonably desert worthy, and I can create water on demand.

Bushwhacked
2008-02-13, 07:14 PM
Walks back to the square and looks about. Hmm first one back... She wanders up to where they met breifly the first time and lifts the pack from her shoulders with a sigh of relif.

Some might not recognise her now, if not looking to hard. She's now dressed in a travelers garb with a wide hat to keep of the sun and her hair pulled back into a single braid.

As time passes she bores a little of waiting and gets out her flute to clean it.

Rodgin
2008-02-14, 05:46 AM
After gathering her things, including the longspear she is using as a walking stick, and some encouraging words from her family, Brie sets off back to the square, adventure on her mind and excitement showing freely in her body language.

A brief glimpse around the square, and Brie is quite sure she's the first one back. Leaning against her spear, she sets her pack down at her feet, idly watching others to pass the time.

The_JJ
2008-02-14, 06:55 PM
The preist wanders back to the square and, upon seeing Brie, sidles up to her and sits down. I can make us water if we need it. He suddenly says, and then stops again, staring at nothing.

spot check for the flute player? d20+3

Bushwhacked
2008-02-14, 10:53 PM
[roll0]:disguise check; not sure if it applies here or would have a penalty as she's not trying to hide behind it but thats the roll anyway


Lucinda notices the other two, puts away the instrument and starts walking over.

The_JJ
2008-02-15, 05:28 PM
I guess it doesn't matter. :smallsmile:

Harry
I just finished telling... her that I can make us water if we need it.

Bushwhacked
2008-02-15, 06:04 PM
"Glad your coming along then, I dont know how long these waterskins will last in the desert." She offers her hand to him "I'm Lucinda and this is Brie, have you done much traveling?"

Rodgin
2008-02-15, 07:06 PM
A pleasure to meet a fellow magic user, Brie says with a heart felt smile. Though I can't make any water. I can make fire and several other fun tricks, but no water.

The_JJ
2008-02-15, 07:26 PM
Harry
Yeah, I travel a lot... ahem. My name's Harry Speaks. Some people call me Seldom. He stares at you for a moment, and then he begins meditate, now looking of in the distance towards the desert.

Bushwhacked
2008-02-16, 12:25 AM
Looks down at the unshaken hand and retracts it before offering a smile instead "It seems we all dabble a little then, i cant say what i've learned will be as impressive as the both of you but you shan't have have any trouble sleeping when i'm present at least."
She acknowlages Harry's gesture to detract himself and speaks to Brie "How were your family? Did they take the news well?"

Rodgin
2008-02-16, 08:05 AM
They were both pleased. Father started to reminisce about how he met mother out working for the King. Mother interrupted him and packed me a few things she thought I'd need extra. She is always so thoughtful.

There were, in truth, a million minor details Brie had missed when her parents talked and helped her pack. Things like the worried glances, the slight change in the tone of their voices when she mentioned the Green Hills and the desert beyond, but as was her way, she missed the little things.

Bushwhacked
2008-02-21, 09:08 PM
After a few minuites of standing around chatting about not much Lucinda comes out with "I can't see the big one. Did he talk to either of you before we seperated?"She looks about again to make sure "If he doesn't turn up soon I'm tempted to say we should go on without him"

The_JJ
2008-02-21, 10:12 PM
Harry
The cleric snaps out of his prayers.
Hmm... We could use someone like him, but time is important also. He looks at the two Perhaps we should wait just a little bit longer?

Rodgin
2008-02-22, 05:03 AM
Not much longer, we'll run out of daylight to travel by, Brie said with a shrug. She was anxious to be on the road, but having someone of the man's skills would be an asset. She sighed and shifted her weight, leaning heavily on the spear.

Bushwhacked
2008-02-22, 06:40 AM
Smiles at Brie "My girl makes a good argument. He knows the direction we'll be traveling, if he's not run off with the money he'll easily be able to catch us up." She picks up her pack again and winches under the weight, "I vote we move anyone else?"

diplomicy: [roll0]

The_JJ
2008-02-22, 10:24 PM
Harry
Nods He can catch us, if need be.
He gathers his stuff into a backpack. Shall we go?

Rodgin
2008-02-23, 05:46 AM
Brie hoists her pack back onto her shoulders and a wide smile breaks across her face. She is more then excited to be on the road to adventure. She is quite sure this will be the best thing that ever happened to her.

Unfortunately, she has a very small view of the world. This courier mission should only take the afternoon to complete. The desert can't be more then a few hours walk, right?

Welcome Brie to experience education. It's hard, but do you learn.

The_JJ
2008-02-24, 04:54 PM
Harry
Harry begins to walk out of the town. As he leaves the edge of the city he throws back his cloak to reveal a scimitar belted to his hip.
These girls seem young. Probably not used to life beyond here. Then again, I've never faced the desert before. I guess we're all new at this.

Bushwhacked
2008-02-25, 07:30 AM
Sighs internally when Harry made the first move and fell in behind him gratfully. She walks behind him looking back momuntarily to see if Brie has fallen in also and mentally thanks the golden heart that she didn't have to admit she didn't know the way.

Rodgin
2008-02-25, 04:20 PM
Falling in at the rear of the group, Brie started to whistle idly as she walked. It was a great trip for her. At least at first.

After the first thirty minutes of walking, her feet started to ache. She had heard of this happening, but to actually experience it was different. She bit her lip in resolve and did her best to keep her discomforts quiet.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-02-25, 04:55 PM
Dice Sounds!

Carry On. And give me spot checks!

The_JJ
2008-02-25, 05:45 PM
Harry
[roll0]

Rodgin
2008-02-25, 07:42 PM
Spot Checks! *cue dramatic music*

[roll0]

Bushwhacked
2008-02-26, 02:56 AM
see the ooc thread

Thanatos 51-50
2008-02-26, 02:00 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Bushwacked. I want an inititave roll from you, everyone else: weep at NPCs with rogue levels.

Bushwhacked
2008-02-26, 02:56 PM
Frowns as she senses somthing amiss but hardly has time to react before...

[roll0]

The_JJ
2008-02-26, 05:52 PM
Harry
*weeps*