PDA

View Full Version : France: Waltz of Dust



Pages : [1] 2

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-03, 11:15 AM
Welcome to the France: Waltz of Dust IC thread, back after a short hiatus. You can see the old thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66339&highlight=france)as a point of reference. We'll be using the same OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66279&highlight=france) for simplicity's sake. I decided that I'd give you a chance to chat in the carriage to get back into character before arriving at the party. I strongly recommend that you re-acquaint yourself with the plot by re-reading the old thread. Have fun!



The carriage leaves the next day, as promised. It is large and luxurious enough to seat all of you comfortably, as well as a small imp who wordlessly observes you. The driver tells you that it will take the entire day to reach the mansion, with scheduled breaks to stretch your legs and answer nature's call.

The_Werebear
2008-02-03, 02:18 PM
Brother Patrice

The priest studies the imp for near a quarter of an hour when they first enter the carriage, attempting to figure out what they would want with such a creature in the vehicle.

All the spirits will have to protect us for this to work. I hope this priest is as foolish as many of the others.

I have bound Naberius again. Binding check for a good pact is DC 15, and my binding check is +8. The skills I selected for using untrained are Knowledge: Geography and Forgery.

Also: what type of knowledge check would I make to figure out why an imp is in the carriage. Not that it bothers him, but he suspects spying.

Toliudar
2008-02-03, 06:10 PM
Brother Guillaume

The slender young priest takes a seat next to his con-frere. He slips out of his outermost travelling cloak, still leaving a hardy leather coat. This evening's finery waited in the bags.

Guillaume takes a quick swig from a flask of water, and passes it over to Patrice. Guillaume is staring impassively at the imp that's already in the carriage.

What is your name? And are you some kind of guide or servant with us today?

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-04, 09:21 AM
Patrice:
Not sure what the knowledge check would be. Local? Nobillity? Or you could ask, like Guillarme did.

The Imp replies in a high, rhaspy voice. I's called Lamac. I serve your minister of war. I am ordered to accompany you to the party, but I can't go in... Lamac musn't go in. I give you what help I can, though. And I report to the master. Lamac remember everything, report everything.

Mikeavelli
2008-02-04, 01:05 PM
"Oh my, this must be terribly exciting for you, spying on spies and whatnot." The good doctor says, seemingly (or actually, it's not clear) not realizing how dreadfully impolite such a statement must be. Without waiting for a reply, the good doctor continues on in what must be the most condescending tone imaginable. "However, we are going to have to work on your grammar if you will continue to work with us, Lamac. Repeat after me, 'I am called Lamac.'"

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-04, 01:19 PM
The Imp looks directly at the doctor, and speaks in a completely serious tone.

If you are Lamac, who am I?

The_Werebear
2008-02-04, 01:56 PM
Patrice

The monk's face curls into a grin. Well played, Imp Lamac. His voice is clear of its rumbling tone today, leaving it a smooth tenor. So... Are we all clear on how we will attempt our subversion? One thing that was never settled to my satisfaction- What shall we do if we hit upon an incorrect target, a nonspy. How shall we extricate ourselves without appearing to be traitors ourselves? No offense to your master, Lamac, but I doubt he would lose sleep if we were executed as traitors for attempting to lure our targets out.

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-04, 04:00 PM
Riq Kelborn

"Yes, that would be a rather ignoble death. Still, I don't believe we intend to simply throw ourselves at our targets as volunteers, now do we? We'll simply present ourselves in a position to be of service. If they're a non-spy, nothing shall be asked of us. This also keeps us from looking too much like conspirators, those of us assigned to an innocent be asked to perform any unpleasant tasks. Though, I suppose it would have been more beneficial to arrive in separate carriages. Ah well, I guess it can't be helped."

Riq is lounging as insolently as the limited carriage space allows, which leaves him in a rather uncomfortable looking position, but he appears not to notice a thing. His smells ever slightly stronger of roses today, and his clothing is, if possible, even more spotless with his golden roses positively gleaming.

Toliudar
2008-02-04, 07:30 PM
Guillaume

The soft-voiced young priest smiles across the carriage at the Rose Knight.

Well and true, Monsieur Kelborn. However, Brother Patrice and I had spoken, at least tentatively, of the possibility of speaking to Father de Noailles as, er, rather fervent followers of his line of thinking. The better to draw him out. Overplayed even a bit, or overheard out of context, and it could easily have us turned over as traitors.

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-04, 10:09 PM
Riq Kelborn

"Well, should anyone be so foolish as to doubt your loyalty to King and and Country, I would gladly defend your honor and word with my blade. The accuser will hold his tongue, or find it pinned to the roof of his mouth."

The dandy continues to lounge, delivering his offer in an off-hand, almost absent minded manner. From the tone, he may as well be offering to go for out to the Opera.

"If we can not count upon our Ministerial employer, then we must count on each other."

The_Werebear
2008-02-05, 01:44 AM
Brother Patrice

The monk nods, looking thoughtful.Well... It is comforting to have someone watching my back...Someone corporeal at least...I'll pray that it doesn't come to that, and that, should you be accused, I have the strength to defend you in a similarly... vigorous... manner.

Mikeavelli
2008-02-05, 06:12 AM
Dr. Thaddeus Klein

"Hmph." Is the only retort the now-sulking Dr. Klein can come up with.

In regards to the more serious conversation that has come up in his wake, Dr. Klein chimes in, "I daresay, quick escapes and defending each other's honor is what this business is all about. However, I believe that with the proper foresight and faith in our good minister, we should not have to fear the wrath of the crown."

Toliudar
2008-02-05, 10:39 AM
Guillaume

The slender young priest nods appreciatively at Riq's declaration. Perhaps there is something extra in the twinkle of his eye...but it goes immediately.

Dr. Klein's words bring a small, wry smile to Guillaume's lips.

Ah, but good Doctor, we are not in the many fractured kingdoms of Prussia, wherein the crowns can take a slightly more personal interest in the comings and goings of individual citizens. This -

He breathes deeply, and gestures out the window for emphasis.

Is the glory of the world, the jewel of Europe. This is France!

He settles back into a slighly more prosaic tone.

If we mis-step badly at this gathering, I would suggest that we will be sloughed off by your doctor's guild, by the court, and even by the Church, fast enough to make your head spin.

He leans back in the jouncing coach, steepling his fingers. He glances speculatively at Lamac.

I fear that the dashing Monsieur Kelborn is correct. We are likely to be able to rely on only each other in this.

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-06, 01:26 PM
After a day of liesurely travel, you arrive at your destination. While you're still a mile out, Lamac blinks out of sight, becoming invisible to the naked eye.

No demons allowed inside, he says. I will be observing. If you need me, come outside and call to me- say Lamac three times.

The carriage rolls up to the mansion, and you disembark. A shimmering barrier stands at the huge, highly ornate doorway barring any extraplanar creatures from entering. A separate station scans guests for any firearms or dangerous magical items. Sabres are allowed if part of a uniform, however.

Your invitations are checked, then you are led down the a hallway and into the main ballroom.

The party is lively. A quartet plays a waltz by Shubert and the dance floor is full of beautifully dressed women and their escorts- various nobles and notables from across the kingdom and abroad. A table is set up with a lavish selection of food and wine. Conversation fills the air, mixing with the sounds of clinking glasses and silverware and creating a pleasant din. The ceiling is host to an elaborately changing pattern of colorful lights, casting a mood of wonder over the main room. There are large windows that look out onto a rose garden and several doors that lead out to various parts of the house.

The_Werebear
2008-02-06, 01:45 PM
Patrice

Someone watching closely might have noticed just the tiniest tremor in the priest's face when he crosses the barrier, but it is gone the second he is through, his normal calm demeanor back in place in seconds. Once inside, he rubs his hands together and tilts his head to the side, popping his neck with an audible crackle. Shall we find our Priest, Brother Guillaume? He scans the crowd, talking quietly while he does. Once we find him, lets lead him out to someplace private like the Rose Garden over there. We should have relative peace there, simply because no one expects to get any there and for now, the party is here. Besides, it would hardly seem suspicious if three priests went out to enjoy God's green earth.

One final thing. When should we meet up, and should we have an emergency signal?

Toliudar
2008-02-06, 04:25 PM
Guillaume

Guillaume offers to turn his ornate cane over to the station at the entrance, but is leaning on it in such a way as to suggest that it is not purely an affectation. He notes Brother Patrice's reaction as he crosses the barrier, but politely declines to inquire further.

Guillaume nods at Patrice's suggestion.

A garden seems an excellent place to talk. Harder to be overheard, perhaps.

And as to an emergency signal, may I suggest that if any of us scratch the back of our heads, the others take it as a signal that we should move out to the topiary garden to confer? And that elsewise, we gather there at midnight to compare notes?

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-06, 11:54 PM
Riq Kelborn

Midnight seems a bit early to compare notes, does it not? While a man of God must sleep early so that he may rise early and say his prayers, it is not uncommon for a court function such as this to head on into the early hours of the morning. It would be a shame if I had to leave Mademoiselle deChamp to meet with gentlemen...even gentlemen as esteemed as yourself. A true man should always put the lady first, in all things. No, rather than meet at midnight I propose we meet tomorrow for breakfast and discuss the evenings revels then. This allows considerably more freedom tonight, if perhaps a little more risk.

Pausing here for dramatic effect, Riq tosses his cape over his shoulder before continuing, hands on hips,

Besides, I'm sure that we can handle a little risk.

OOC-My rapier is allowed as part of my outfit? Or does the fact that I'm not military disallow its presence?

Altharis
2008-02-07, 05:08 AM
Toliudar, if you look at the previous thread, you will notice that I had chosen the colour purple. So take back your claim or face me in an honorable duel! :smalltongue: I am also assuming that myself and Riq, being adventuring buddies, would have had time to rehearse a simple code.

The young duelist, who up until now had been sullenly silent, appears to loosen up as soon as he enters the party. After insisting that his rapier is part of his costume, he enters the party, casting a trained duelist's eye on the local partygoers for all usable factors: Tone of voice, gait, handedness, physical defects, basically anything he could get an advantage from in a duel.

As the plan is suggested, he instantly joins in with the conversation, a loud, ringing, but also vaguely confrontational and brash tone entering his voice: "Friends! To suggest a code would be wise, but to pull my good friend Riq away from a lady...not at all wise. That is the first and most important lesson I have learnt, and you would do well to take it to heart. Riq has the presence of mind enough to know when to help, and we have some old signals that I can use. I, however, should be more free, as to be seen with fine men such as yourselves gives my image only good regard." His usual snobbish disdain is gone, and replaced by a voice of naive brashness.

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-07, 09:25 AM
An old, plump woman recognizes Riq as the doorman requests he turn over his sword.

But of course you recognize the famous rose knight? Asking him to leave his sword would be like asking him to leave his beautiful flowers!

Of course, Madame, the porter nods.

Toliudar
2008-02-07, 12:03 PM
Guillaume

:smalltongue: Purple is all yours, Altharis. Apologies for the tresspass. :smallbiggrin:

Guillaume smiles at Riq's infectious enthusiasm for the party.

You mistake, my dear sir. I had meant midnight to be a mid-party opportunity to compare notes, so that we'd have ample opportunity to work further on what we'd learned. I'd assumed that a few hours would give you ample opportunity to gain the fair lady's confidence, and perhaps give you time to gain her confidence several more times over the course of the night.

His composed tone betray no hint of the words' subtext, but he hadds a half-wink at the end. Guillaume turns to Jacques.

Ah, you experienced men of the world. If you share your, ah, signals, with us, I will do my utmost to carry them off with some small portion of your panache.

The_Werebear
2008-02-07, 12:19 PM
Patrice

Not sure where my weapons and such went. None of my weapons are magic. In fact, my only magic item is a Ring of Sustenance. My sling and some stones are in an inside pocket of the habit, and the sickle is inside the haversack, along with my tools and books.

Also, still scanning the crowd for our targets.

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-07, 12:54 PM
The haversack, being magic, is searched, and the sickle is removed.

Anyone can now make a spot check to notice targets. The DC is 17, but can be mitigated by a knowledge:local or nobillity check.

Mikeavelli
2008-02-07, 03:23 PM
Dr. Thaddeus Klein

Dr. Klein nods to the others, acknowledging the rendezvous plans, "I'll do my best to stay absent the hands of a fair maiden when midnight rolls around, but I make no promises, gentlemen. If not then, I'll be seeing you all at breakfast."

Most of his personal effects come in a handbag, the few magical scrolls which might be suspect slipped in among a mess of lecture notes, a half-written play, and other miscellanious papers, hoping no-one bothers to search him, or if they do, don't recognize what they see.

He doesn't even try to bring the dagger or crossbow in.

and what the hell, Here's a spot check to notice Mats Tolander, [roll0]


Failing to spot the merchant outright, Dr. Klein moves through the ball awkwardly, searching out the sorts of people an arms merchant might associate himself with. Or, failing that, mingling with the party guests more or less at random.

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-07, 04:14 PM
The good doctor begins moving through the crowd, and notices somebody who may be of use... a decorated army officer. His chest is a mess of medals and a sabre dangles proudly at his side. He's an older gentleman, grey whiskers invading his once-sterling black mustache and goatee, and calling him "stout" would be generous. He wears a monacle over one eye, and is speaking energetically to a woman over the punch bowl.

Madame, I find your accusation reprehensible! he croaks. I would never relieve myself in a garden of iris flowers- the fluer de lis is the symbol of France!

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-07, 09:17 PM
Riq Kelborn

Riq bows to the older, slightly plump woman, "Thank you, Madame Bonacieux. You are as kind and diplomatic as you are beautiful. I apologize that business has kept me from your house, but I assure it was through no lack of desire. The spirit is willing, but unfortunately, for the moment, the flesh is detained. Then, there is the small matter of your husband and his hired guards. Still, please, take this token to remember me until I am able to return."

Riq flourishes one of his trademarked roses and bows again, presenting the rose as he kisses the ladies hand.

d100 1-33=Red Rose, 34-66=White Rose, 67-99=Pink Rose, 100=Black Rose

As she blushes, he bids her "Au revoir!" and returns to his companions, clapping Guillaume and Patrice on the back.

"Well, my good priests, the signals of Jacques and I aren't necessarily symbols that men of your profession could emulate. They generally involve somewhat impatient, exaggerated, and inebriated interruptions into the others private affairs which are then dealt with in a suitably outraged manner. Our subterfuge is rarely subtle; I find the best deception is to be the center of attention. People rarely look beneath my impeccable good looks and dashing adventures."

Riq preens as he speaks, flashing an outrageous smile at his friends.

"And really now, why should they? I am, after all, the Rose Knight. Now gentlemen, I bid you adieu. Should you need help, just make some sort of commotion and I'll be certain to swoop to your aid. I'm sure I'll be quite fine this evening. See you all at breakfast! Say...Ten o'clock, at the Hotel de Villernes?"

Riq turns swiftly on his heels and struts into the crowd, scanning for Mademoiselle deChamps.

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-07, 09:24 PM
Woops...forgot a few rolls last post. [roll0] <--For the rose.

After that, Riq heads and looks for Mademoiselle deChamps.

Spot: [roll1]
Knowledge: Nobility/Royalty [roll2]

Failing that,

Gather Information and Diplomacy to see if someone is willing to point her out to me

Gather Info [roll3]
Diplomacy [roll4]

Toliudar
2008-02-08, 03:51 AM
Guillaume

Against his better judgement, Brother Guillaume is charmed by the antics of his rather forward companions. He smiles wryly as the three scatter into the corners of the party, and gestures to Patrice that they might as well join them.

Shall we? The wine my monastery makes is a bit uninspired, and I'm rather looking forward to something more robust.

Spot check as needed [roll0]

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-08, 09:24 AM
Riq:

After about half an hour of hob-nobbing and charming, you find somebody that knows DeChamps. A young gentlemen entertaining a group of ladies with card tricks is glad to be of service.

DeChamps? Of course I know that young flower. I had the honor of escorting her to the Orleans ball last fall, though sadly I've scarcely seen her since, save tonight.

She keeps an appartment upstairs, as do a fair few of the guests here. Many who wish to be close to Paris this time of year rent rooms in this chatteau. The Duke of Penthièvre is very generous in this regard, and he certainly has the spare room, as you can see. Most of us all will spend the night, at least, but Mademoiselle DeChamps and her girl have been here for about a month.

She tends to come late to parties such as this- says all the company bores her. She'll probably be down later.

Of cousre, you could meet her in her chambers, though I dare say that would be outlandishly inappropriate.

Was this your card? I knew it, the Knave of Hearts! Thank you, thank you... you are too kind...

Guillame, Patrice:

Close, but no cigar. An aid another and at least one succesful knowledge check between the two of you will get you to the target. If not, you can try gather info or just go around talking to people the old fashion way.

Toliudar
2008-02-08, 11:47 AM
Brother Guillaume

ASK people? Pah. That never works.
:smallwink:

Depending on which knowledge is more appropriate (and, if Brother Patrice's skills are better in this, happy to convert my checks into "aid another" rolls):

Knowledge Religion: [roll0]
Knowledge Nobility & Etiquette: [roll1]

The_Werebear
2008-02-08, 12:26 PM
Brother Patrice

Indeed. I look forward to sampling what they have. He closes his eyes, focuses for a moment, then slips into character. I certainly do hope that Father Jean-Paul is around, I have been looking forward to speaking to him, for all of this is most troubling. His voice is loud enough to be overheard invite directions, but not so loud that it seems like he is being noisy.



[roll=bluff]1d20+12

The_Werebear
2008-02-08, 12:28 PM
Brother Patrice

It didn't want to roll my bluff check, so, repost


[roll0]

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-08, 12:51 PM
At the sound of Patrice's musings, a man across the room stops and looks around as if looking for a friend. The fancy soon passes, and he turns back around to attend to his business, but not before Guillarme recognizes his face.

Father Jean-Paul de Noailles is sitting at a table along with a few other men of good breeding. At a glance, they appear engaged in a spirited conversation.

Mikeavelli
2008-02-08, 01:41 PM
Dr. Klein

Dr. Klein takes a moment to size up the old warhorse, something about the old man...


An old War hero huh? A decent Knowledge: History check might mean he's heard something about this guy [roll0]

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-08, 01:58 PM
Dr. T. Klein:
Not sure if history applies, but I guess it's close enough. An 18 will let you know that you are looking at General Dupont, a man of some renown for his tenacity, and no small degree of character and forthrightness.

Toliudar
2008-02-08, 02:33 PM
Guillaume

Bowing his head to speak softly with Brother Patrice, Guillaume murmurs.

Nice work. That's Pere de Noailles over there, over my left shoulder, and I believe he caught some of what you just said. Shall we press the advantage?

Finding some wine, Guillaume waits for Patrice and then moves respectfully but directly over to the circle of men discussing things with Father de Noailles. He smiles and keeps his mouth shut at first, guaging the tenor of the conversation before jumping in.

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-08, 02:44 PM
Heaven is a metaphore for rejoining with God! You can't tell me you clutch to that simplistic fantasy of puffy clouds and angels playing harps? The speaker is younger than he appears- time has not been kind to him and he is pre-maturely bald.

A metaphore? That's borderline heretical, Louis. Heaven is a place as real as any, and so is hell, says another young man, long hair tied back. They both appear to be religious students, or recent graduates from the seminary.

Hell is the absence of God and heaven is the union with God. If heaven is a real place, then where is it?

Heaven MUST be a real place, Jean-Paul interjects. And hell. Or do you think the demons that our wizards summon are conjured out of thin air?

They may well be. What proof do you have of the contrary?

Mikeavelli
2008-02-09, 02:54 AM
Dr. Klein

Upon recognizing the man, Dr. Klein steps right up to the fray, butting in between the General at the woman who seems to have impugned his honor. With no easy way of breaking into the conversation presented to him, he simply ignores the arguement at hand and introduces himself, "Excuse me, Sir, Are you General Dupont, famous even so far as Munich? I am Doctor Klein, a professor at the University there, and your name comes up in discussions of many of France's military successes. If you have the time, I would like to speak with you about them?"

You work with what you've got. Now all I've got to do is find a way to make Knowledge: Geography worthwhile.

But for right now, I guess a diplomacy roll would be in order? Bring on the pain, [roll0]

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-09, 10:19 AM
Riq Kelborn

Riq has never put much stock in propriety and so, thanking the young man with the card tricks, scouts around and heads upstairs.

Once there, he looks around for the lady; hoping she's not in her chambers.

Spot [roll0]
Knowledge Nobility/Royalty [roll1]

Assuming he doesn't see her, he spends time looking at the paintings and statues and such.

Knowledge Nobility/Royalty to see who he recognizes [roll2]

The_Werebear
2008-02-09, 02:03 PM
Brother Patrice


Heaven is a metaphore for rejoining with God! You can't tell me you clutch to that simplistic fantasy of puffy clouds and angels playing harps? The speaker is younger than he appears- time has not been kind to him and he is pre-maturely bald.

A metaphore? That's borderline heretical, Louis. Heaven is a place as real as any, and so is hell, says another young man, long hair tied back. They both appear to be religious students, or recent graduates from the seminary.

Hell is the absence of God and heaven is the union with God. If heaven is a real place, then where is it?

Heaven MUST be a real place, Jean-Paul interjects. And hell. Or do you think the demons that our wizards summon are conjured out of thin air?

They may well be. What proof do you have of the contrary?

Patrice walks up to the table, affecting to look slightly nervous at approaching and entering the conversation.

But sir, if you can summon a quasi living being with memories and personality differing from others, you must admit it is a separate creature, not a part of a whole. If Heaven and Hell were merely conglomerates, wouldn't every summoned creature have the same memory and very similar personalities? We know that is not the case. Demons range from scheming and conniving to threatened and brutal within the same class, much less within the group of hellions as a whole.

Furthermore, we do know what happens when one summons part of a conglomerate. Elementals are composed of the pure essence of something. Heaven and Hell are pure good and evil, respectively. If they were conglomorates, we wouldn't get fully formed angels and demons, but good and evil elementals. They are unique as we are. Like everyone, peasant and noble, man or woman, they all suffer from different sins.

Being a summoner of such beings, Patrice has a very firm opinion about such subjects. He works hard to dovetail his knowledge of spirits and his opinions on universal function into a leadup to his bluff about the problems with fighting a this war.
I can do a bluff check if you want, but I haven't actually started acting beyond my previous check

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-11, 03:10 PM
Klein:

I'm Dupont, yes, says the General, but I doubt you'd find the exploits of this old timer interesting. War is bloody brutal boring when it's not just brutal.
He looks over the doctor appraisingly.

But you have me at a dissadvantage. You are...?

Riq:

You take your leave and creep up the stairs to the second floor where DeChamps' appartment is. Of course you don't know which room it is, so investigation is in order. You are looking at a long hallway with rows of closed doors on either side. Objects d'art decorate the hallway, which is illuminated by soft candle light. You are alone in the hallways.

Patrice:

The balding student looks up at you with a frown.

It could all be a trick- the Devil misleads and hides the truth. What do you know about it anyway?

Noailles speaks up.

Manners, Louis! This gentlemen is obviously learned in the ways of philosophies and magics. Please, have a seat. I'm not sure I fully grasp what you mean by "conglomorate."

The_Werebear
2008-02-11, 04:26 PM
Patrice

By conglomorate, I mean something along what he said. He injects large amounts of enthusiasm into his voice, imitating the eager students he has seen at universities across Europe. You would have a pure merger with God. If what this distinguished sir was saying was true, then you would have, upon death, each soul becoming another chunk of God, so to say. The end result being Heaven, God, Jesus, and every good Soul being a single being in the form of the Holy Ghost. An angel summoning would thus give you an elemental of pure good. So, this can't be strictly true.

Oh by every spirit in the otherworld, Guillaume, get in here and interrupt me before they realize I am nearly quoting from Aquinas' Summa contra Gentiles

Toliudar
2008-02-11, 05:38 PM
Guillaume

The fool! Couldn't he have tarted Aquinas up just a little?

Guillaume slides easily into a vacated chair, and leans into the conversation.

For me, the real difficulty with the notion of a more, ah, metaphorical sense of heaven and hell, that is, as Louis said, that hell is merely the absence of God, is that it presupposes the prospect that there is a part of creation from which God is, in fact, absent.

I would prefer to suggest that there is a part of His creation from which he shields his glory to a greater or lesser degree, and that this, shall we say, damping down creates the conditions of Hell. And, of course, to a lesser extent, Earth. That part of creation in which there is an unfiltered exposure to God necessarily becomes Heaven.

Guillaume glances up at Patrice, smiling and encouraging him to sit as well.

Well, you're plagiarizing as badly as Patrice, boy, but at least Dionysius the Areopagite isn't in quite as many of the seminary libraries.

The_Werebear
2008-02-11, 06:06 PM
Patrice

The priest accepts a chair and pulls it up to the table, masking gratefulness at being rescued with gratefulness at getting a steat. Of course, that theory would work with both ideas, metaphorical plane and physical plane. What do you think, Father...Noailles, right sir?

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-11, 08:54 PM
Quite right, he nods. Pleased to make your acquaintances. Personally, I think it's all a load of hogwash, and we won't really know until we get there. Ha ha!

He takes a drink.


It is a quandary though. If God is everywhere and Hell is the absence of God, maybe there is no Hell at all? Or maybe we're there already.

Noailles' speech is obviously upsetting his students a little. The long haired one clears his throat.

You're beginning to sound like Jean Jacques Rousseau, Father, he supplies weakly.

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-11, 10:06 PM
Riq Kelborn

Shrugging, Riq begins to walk down the hallway looking and listening for any clues. Failing that, he knocks on a door and hopes for the best.

Listen [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Search (if it applies) [roll2]

Toliudar
2008-02-12, 02:16 AM
Guillaume

Brother Guillaume, the juices of a good argument flowing now.

A pleasure to meet you as well, Father. I've admired your writings.

He turns to the long-haired young man.

That over-puffed romanticist? You do Father de Noailles considerable wrong, sir! His Julie may be a masterwork, but I found that Discourse on the Arts and Sciences so completely disregarded the interplay of natural and magical forces as to be intentionally obtuse.

Even my friend's defense of a corporeal framework for our understanding of the planes seems to retain an interesting quandary. If even heaven and hell are pure states of good and evil, then it follows that every angel is unquestioningly good, all demons mechanistically evil. Yet we have accounts of fallen angels, redeemed fiends, as both warnings against hubris and signs of hope.

This clearly suggests that even they, in the immortal words of our former countryman, Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum.

Having lapsed into Latin, he continues on in the language for a pace.

But if angels and devils are mixed creatures, full of doubt and capable of free will, what does this say of the places they inhabit?

He leans back, taking a deep pull on his goblet.

Altharis
2008-02-12, 02:50 AM
Swaggering through the crowd in the general direction of a dueling hall or piste, Jacques kept a keen eye out for the Capitaine.

Various checks:

Knowledge: Nobility and Royalty- [roll0]
Spot- [roll1]
Listen (In case anybody's mentioning his name)- [roll2]

In case he hears nor see no mention of the capitaine, he'll ask around.

Various checks:

Diplomacy- [roll3]

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-12, 09:59 AM
Riq:
You hear the laughter of mixed company from behind one of the doors. The others seem relatively quiet. You also hear the muffled tones of an argument coming from further down the hall.

Priests:
The long-haired priest who has yet to introduce himself inerjects, Again, it sounds as if you are saying that angels and devils are no different than you and I, free willed beings that live on planes with no significant differance from the Prime. This is not backed up by the texts. Lucifer and his demons were once angels, yes- but it is something in their nature that made them fall, not simply a bad decision or lapse in judgement. Just as Men are touched with original sin, all such creatures have good or evil at their core. After all, they were all made by God just so.

Jacques:
You spy a friend who seems to remember seeing St. Pierre playing billiards earlier. Out the main doors and through the archway, down the hall and the second door on the left. You follow the directions and come to the billiards room where a group of five play the game and smoke expensive tobacco brought from the Americas. One matches the description of St. Pierre. The others all appear to be millitary men as well, judging by the way they carry themselves and their dress uniforms. Also in the room is a young boy, probably of no more than 14, who watches the game, looking admiringly at St. Pierre.

Toliudar
2008-02-12, 11:32 AM
Guillaume

He is on familar ground again. Guillaume remembered a pleasant enough evening at Troyes spent parsing the source of the fall of Lucifer. The conversation had drawn half a dozen dusty tomes down from back shelves, and consumed in it four bottles of a pleasant enough merlot.

Sir, you clearly know your ante-scripture writers, but in the words of the pagan Hera****is, "All life is change." Our perceptions of these creatures have been shaped by centuries more research and contact.

Besides, the scriptures are not entirely clear on the source of Lucifer's fall from grace - because placing the flaw in his very character means that God created all the evil in our world as well as all the good, because God is of course infallible. Whereas if God merely created the potential for choice, then ultimately it charges each of us with the duty to take action. To make choices that support good, instead of passively fleeing evil.

He glances over at de Noailles, regretfully sacrificing clarity in his argument in order to try to send a second thought to the priest.

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-12, 12:29 PM
Too true, Noailles nods. But perhaps that is what makes Man so great, and so terrible: unlike the angels and demons who are bound to their natures, Man has the capacity for either good or evil. It is that choice that colors who we are.

The_Werebear
2008-02-12, 01:59 PM
Patrice

Well... Man's free nature might allow him to be a monumentally good person while doing something incredibly bad. Actually, it is about that that might friend and I wished to discuss with you, Father. However, it is a rather delicate matter involving some people who wish their privacy preserved. It is our duty as good Christians to try and keep their wishes as much as possible during their time of trial. However, it is beyond our knowledge to solve what they should do, so we wish your advice. Could we, possibly walk in the garden, good Father? He gives a glance to Guillaume, hoping that the people across the table will interpret it as concern, and that Guillaume will interpret it as "Get the others out of here"

Mikeavelli
2008-02-12, 02:28 PM
Dr. Klein

"Oh, excuse me, I am Dr. Thaddeus Klein, currently a guest lecturer at the University in Paris. While my students would certainly find you as boring as they find me" He pauses a moment to laugh at his own joke, "I'm something of a student of history, and you General, are a living part of it. Certainly you've something to share from your many years of experience?"

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-12, 03:04 PM
Dupont squints at Thadius, his eyesight evidently failing as he ages.

Perhaps another time, sir. But tell me...

He leans in uncomfortable close, hefting his bulk in a threatening way.

Have you ever killed a man?

Mikeavelli
2008-02-12, 04:16 PM
Dr. Klein

Dr. Klein stutters a moment in his reply, "Nn.. No, I haven't."

He's visibly apprehensive now over where the old man is going with this.

Toliudar
2008-02-12, 07:25 PM
Guillaume

Taking his cue from Brother Patrice, Guillaume also assumes a grave aspect, and stands slowly. He glances around at the young men whose conversation they were interrupting.

You'll excuse us, of course. My apologies. Just as hell may or may not be deprivation of the presence of god, so I'm sure that the father's brief absence would be a kind of purgatory for you.

He takes a step away from the table, inviting Father de Noailles to join them.

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-13, 09:02 AM
Patrice, Guillarme:

Ulterior motives are unbecoming on a priest. But I'll indulge you. Louis, Renaldo, if you'll excuse us?

The priest rises, a dour expression on his face. The other two look at each other worriedly before doing the same.

I'm sure you have a lot to discuss. Father, we'll be here if you should need us.

Very good. Well, shall we gentlemen?

The two students leave you to your business and Noailles accompanies you out the garden gate.

Dr. Klein:

Well neither have I. HAHAHAHAHAHA! Dupont laughs uproariously at himself, all trace of menace gone, or hidden, from his demeanor. You're all right, doc. Let's get a drink.

Altharis
2008-02-13, 04:29 PM
Sidling into the room with the same brash air, (though now with a hint of nervousness) Jacques stands next to the boy and copies some of his gestures.

At one point he whisper's in the boy's ear: "Excusez moi, but do you know whether the great Capitaine Alton St Pierre is winning right now? I am quite new to billiards, and my knowledge is lacking."

((EDIT:Stupid Question.))

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-13, 04:30 PM
Riq Kelborn

The soul of discretion, Riq creeps down the hallway hoping to hear the argument.


Move Silently [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-13, 04:47 PM
Jacques:

The boy looks up at you, as if only just noticing your presence. Hard to say, m'lord, but I believe so. In truth, I don't know much about the game.

Riq:
You silently creep down the hallway. From around the corner, you can hear a bit better. Although the argument is taking place from behind closed doors, they are shouting loudly, so you can make it out clearly.

Man: I say! I don't deserve this shabby treatment!

Woman: Bully for you! I'm sorry if my bedroom isn't what you expected.

Man: Mademoiselle! I never meant to insult you... If that's what you think, then-
Woman: Yes, it is what I think. And, unlike you, all the money in the world won't change my mind.

The door opens up and the man is pushed out of it. He is well dressed and very handsome, wearing a white powdered wig.

Man: Please Elaina, I beg you... allow me to explain.

Woman: Good day sir! Please, give my regards to your ugly cousins.

The door slams shut, and the sound of two young women laughing is clearly audible from within. The man fumes, then catches sight of Riq. He looks taken aback.

What are you looking at?

Altharis
2008-02-13, 05:24 PM
((Gaurd, I've changed my question, as the first question was stupid given the context.))

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-13, 05:37 PM
Riq Kelborn

Ears pricking up at the mention of "Elaina", Riq pitches his voice so as to be heard by the laughing ladies.

"What am I looking at, sir? It appears that I'm looking at a rather rude 'gentleman.' At least, I think that's what I'm supposed to call you. It seems a bit of a loose term though, truth be told. Anyway, I should thank you. The party was rather dull below so I thought I'd escape for a moment. Look for peace and silence away from that dreary crowd. Now, I did not find my peace, but thanks to you I have found the most amusing incident of the evening. Still, I must ask you to leave. The Lady has asked that you do so and I don't intend to let you ruin her night or mine by making a further fool of yourself knocking at her door or bellowing for her to come out."

Riq speaks politely, his carefully cultured voice full of fading warmth. As he finishes speaking, he unconsciously rests his hand on his blade and shifts his feet towards a fighters stance.

Toliudar
2008-02-13, 08:36 PM
Guillaume

Mindful of the roles that he and Patrice had agreed to when they were first discussing this ruse - with Patrice the starry-eyed pupil and Guillaume the more politic pragmatist - the young priest reined in his desire to leap into conversation with de Noailles as soon as they reached the garden.

We appreciate your forebearance, Father, and assure you that we regret drawing you away from your discussion.

Leaving the next gambit to Patrice, Guillaume took a moment to enjoy the air of the garden, circling slowly to ensure that there were no untoward surprises.

Guillaume is leaving the priest with Patrice as he goes around, searching for any spies, guards or other guests lingering among the rose bushes.

The_Werebear
2008-02-13, 11:10 PM
Brother Patrice

The curtain is drawn, and the play begins. Act 1, in which a distraught young priest and his friend seek their elder's advice. Naberius, gild my tongue in silver and gold.The priest closes his eyes for a moment, and when he opens them, they are filled with concern and general worry. Father, it must be first said that we are big admirers of you. We have heard of your wisdom, and you seemed to be the best solution to the weighty problem we have, one that drags down on the heart and makes doing God's work hard. There is a conflict, in our hearts, as much as it hurts to say. He hangs his head, as if in shame, playing up the drama.

My Father, I must confess that we are torn between what we feel in our hearts and our heads. My companion and I, We are both men of France, and believe the best in her. But we are also men of God. This war... This war is not right. We shouldn't be fighting, but trying to make peace with our brother, no matter what their birth tongue is. I spent years in the New World, trying to convert the native. I admit fully that I didn't do as much good as I could have, because many died in war there. And why? They were pulled in due to fights here, between Christians who should know to love thy neighbor. Their violations and squabbles hurt the efforts of God all around the world. His voice is starting to take on the quiet hysteria of those truly distraught, and he starts to pace in a tight back and forth pattern.

He leaves a pause, waiting for Brother Guilluame to jump in as the voice of reason or for Father de Noialles to comment. If neither say anything, he will continue.

Toliudar
2008-02-14, 10:25 AM
Guillaume

The man knows his rhetoric. Fine work, Patrice.

Confirming his solidarity with Patrice's statements, Guillaume completes his search and goes to stand by his companion, his face drawn and earnest. However, he says no more, waiting to guage the older man's reaction.

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-15, 08:46 AM
Riq:

As you speak, you see the man grow angrier and angrier. For a moment he looks ready to fight, but when you move your hand to your sword, he backs off. When you finish, he raises his finger at you, face flushed, as if about to deliver some witty retort, but instead he storms off.

Patrice, Guillarme:

The priest looks surprised.

Is that what this is about? Well, of course I agree completely, as I'm sure you already know. I've made no secret of my distain for warfare. I'm only sorry that you had to experience it first hand, brother.

Jacques:

The boy's response is changed.

Toliudar
2008-02-15, 11:32 AM
Guillaume

Licking his lips, Guillaume allows his very real nervousness show.

Of course, our prayers are also for peace. We are aghast that our beloved France should be so much the aggressor in this war.

My feeling is that, if in some way the Prussians can somehow gain an upper hand in this current battle, then France will be quick to sue for peace, and it will be the better for all. I'd hoped that you, with your clear and courageous stance against the war, might have some ideas on how we might help effect this.

I have been confessor to two officials in the War Ministry. While I currently know nothing of the current situation, we had discussed the possibility that, with the right encouragement, a few details might slip - outside of the confessional, of course - that would hasten the end of this hated conflict. My difficulty is that I would have no idea what to do with such information.

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-15, 12:46 PM
Guillarme:
Please roll a bluff check.

The_Werebear
2008-02-15, 02:15 PM
Patrice

The priest chimes in. I know it is outside our purview, my Father... I know it breaks some of the rules. But we can't stand idly aside and let this unholyness continue. It comes down to our duty to France or our duty as priests... And we would really save more lives if we ended this quickly...

He hopes that he will add enough raw enthusiasm, moral confusion, and worry to make Guillaume's words more convincing

Can I aid bluff and diplomacy? Tag teaming is an effective way to work persuasion, but I have had DM's rule both ways.

Mikeavelli
2008-02-15, 02:15 PM
"Ha Ha! Haha! Yes" Dr. Klein's forced laughter echos the General's own as he tries his best to be sociable. His tone eases up considerably walking with the General on the way to "That sounds like an excellent idea! The fine wines of France are treasures I shall greatly miss when I return home, whenever that might be. For now though, let us enjoy!"

He takes a drink and raises it up with General Dupont's, "Prost!"


Protip: "Prost" is German for "Cheers"

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-15, 02:41 PM
Riq Kelborn

Seeing the (other) fop making a hasty, and wise, withdrawal Riq knocks on the door that his near foe had just emerged from. Bowing first to Elaina, Riq rises and says,

"Ladies, I apologize for that gentleman's rudeness. Still, much as I regret his unfortunate choice of actions, I cannot blame his intent. He is young, and you are very beautiful. It is not an excuse, simply a fact. Men can be rather foolish, and forget that we are meant to serve the Lady, not to rule her. It was my honour to serve you. Is there any other way that I may be of service to you, tonight?"

Riq says this with an absolutely honest look upon his face, his voice grave and restrained. His eyes never leave Elaina's and he waits patiently for her response.

Diplomacy [roll0]

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-15, 03:10 PM
Klein:

Prost... yes, indeed. Dupont has clearly never heard that toast before, but he gets the spirit of it and gladly drinks with you as promised.

Have you been long in France then, Doctor?

As they talk, Klein spots a man over Dupont's shoulder, a colleague from the University. Professor Lemont, an old and bitter practictioner of magics, natural science, and philosophy. Ancient and comfortable with his tenure, he is open in his distain of "new blood" in Paris' scholarly circles. His eyes lock with Klein's and a sour expression appears on his face.

Patrice:
Yes, you may aid Guillarme- just succeed in a dc10 bluff check.

Riq:
I will take that very good diplomacy check into account.
The girl grins mischievously. You recognize from description that this "Elaina" is Madamousielle DeChamps.

My word, we have a live one here. You seem a nice enough gentleman, but I already know how this will turn out, so thank you for the offer, but good night.

The other girl rolls her eyes. But this one is pretty...

My word, Anabelle! says Elaina. We have our pick of pretty men- I'd think you'd be used to seeing them by now. They treat my appartment like a tavern... but this one does seem at least to be less of a bore than usual.

I will permit you to come in and entertain us for a time until we grow weary of you, which I suspect will be presently.
She steps aside.

Come in!

The_Werebear
2008-02-15, 03:55 PM
Patrice

I have a +12 bluff modifier and Naberius gives me the ability to take 10 on bluff and diplomacy checks. I'll take the 22.

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-15, 03:57 PM
Riq Kelborn

Feigning boredom Riq responds,

Well Madamousielle, in truth, I had been planning on heading out for some air. Still, I suppose it is my duty to serve your will. A true gentlemen never turns from duty, and you'll never find yourself a truer gentlemen than Riq Kelbor, the Rose Knight. Would it presumptuous of me to ask for your name? I don't believe we've met, being recently arrive from London I haven't yet had the pleasure of meeting such a rare flower of France.

Breaking from his disinterested facade, Riq winks at Annabelle,

It is a pleasure to meet you too, Annabelle. You're a very pretty girl, it's no wonder you have your pick of 'pretty men'.

Riq bows and kisses her hand, before rising with a white rose for her.

I pray I won't simply slip through your memory as just another 'pretty man'.

Rose Roll-[roll0]

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-15, 04:08 PM
Riq:
Please roll a bluff check.

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-15, 04:22 PM
Riq Kelborn

Bluff[roll0]

Toliudar
2008-02-15, 07:41 PM
Bluff [roll0]

Don't suppose I can convince you to make this a diplomacy check? Because it's an extended period of conversation, rather than a verbal feint or misdirection? If so, add ten to the result rolled above.

Mikeavelli
2008-02-18, 12:44 AM
Dr. Klein

"Only a few Months now, but I've enjoyed my stay here so much that I've taken to all of France's bounty quite quickly." Dr. Klein answers in the moments before he notices Professor Lemont glaring at him from across the way. He's none too familiar with Lemont, only having seen him in passing or overheard his public tirades against him and other foreigners. Having had no pressing reason to confront him in the past, and still hoping he'll simply ineffectually bluster, he makes a note to avoid Lemont if at all possible.

He does give his fellow professor an acknowledging nod, the very least respect he could pay the man and not risk him storming over to make a scene. Afterwards, he turns back to the General and continues his conversation, with depressed words but with a certain perverse pride in his tone. "I'm not sure how long I'll be staying, but it's certain to be a little while longer. You see, a satirical play I wrote resembled too closely a certain oafish nobleman back home, and I'm forced to remain abroad until he forgets my work. This has been made doubly hard by its popularity with the rest of Munich I'm afraid."

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-19, 10:56 AM
Guillarme, Patrice:

The priest frowns. You are frightening me, brothers. I'm not sure what you are trying to involve me in...
He pauses and looks at the two younger priests, as if trying to evaluatie their innermost souls.

I'm sure you've no intention to misuse me, but this may not be the time or place, friends. You may have arrived here late, and so would not have heard, but this party is starting to become something of a hotbed for millitary secrets, especially now that you've made your startling claims, Guillarme. Some young captain, hot with too much wine, has been blathering about his marching orders: a secret, large scale mission to capture some high-profile Prussian ministers.
Something tells me that there's more going on tonight than we are aware of, but I should say that we would be unwise to say more about it here....

He motions skyward.

We are outside of the block. There could be demons observing us now, unseen.

Riq:

Oh, Mns. Kellborne! Anabelle swoons.

A pretty trick, sir, says Elaina. I suspect you're full of them. But do come in. There is wine enough and food. A warm fire. I dare say you have many stirring stories of your life in England.

Klein:

Oh, you are a playwright. How very exciting! Dupont bellows. No wonder you were so interested in my exploits, probably looking for inspiration for one of those Historicals or whatever it is you call them.

He pours a drink for you and a somewhat larger one for himself.

I expect you've been distilling a lot of inspiration from we noble Frenchmen. You could probably draw a dozen plays from the fat heads at this party alone!

Lemont returns the nod, a disturbed smile flashing across his face. Once the General has your attention again, you lose sight of the professor completely and do not see him again.

Toliudar
2008-02-19, 02:29 PM
Guillaume

Sensing de Noailles concern, Guillaume speaks softly and urgently, allowing his own agitation to show.

Perhaps we should go in then, Father. Please understand that these are only the beginnings, the gropings of ideas. We sought your counsel as to whether to steer away from this course, or how to proceed. Isn't that right, Patrice?

The_Werebear
2008-02-20, 03:21 AM
Patrice

Yes, Guillaume. We will take your counsel into consideration Father. You are right. We shall be discreet and quiet. However, if you ever have any use for what we can provide... He shakes his head softly, sadly, whispering almost under his breath. I have come to the conclusion that we must be God's men first, and France's second. What a world we live in. May we all be protected from the wrath that is sure to come from this. He crosses himself, and raises his head. We shouldn't keep you any further. We have said our say, and I am sure your pupils are probably worried... I would prefer to walk for a bit and clear my thoughts. And pray, too, away from the party. He bows deeply to Father de Noialles. I am ever in your debt. If you have need of me for anything, do not hesitate to contact me. I am your man, and God's. With that, he excuses himself and heads further into the garden, away from the group.

Once he is sure he is out of earshot, he kneels, and quietly whispers the imp's name three times.

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-20, 09:21 AM
Noailles nods, and returns to the party.

Guillarme:
At your option, you can either accompany him indoors or stay out with Patrice.

Patrice walks further into what is nominally the rose garden. In this cold month, the grounds are coated in snow, the pale moonlight reflecting off of it creating a vibrant glow. His boots crunch as he makes his way to a more secluded area, and calls for the imp, Lemac.

There is a soft sound, like a harpstring being plucked, and the imp appears, hovering just above the ground, his eyes level with Patrice's. His arms are crossed and his wings folded- evidently they are for show only, because he doesn't seem to need them to fly.

Toliudar
2008-02-20, 11:12 AM
Guillaume

The priest's voice is soft as Father de Noailles slips back into the party.

And so ends round one. Either our friend is cannier than his idealistic manner would suggest, or we are following a blind alley.

He turns to see Patrice walking further into the garden, and hastens to catch up. Guillaume was eager to compare notes. When Patrice knelt to pray, however, Guillaume took up a standing position opposite him, so as to be able to watch for activity from that direction.

When the imp appeared, he nodded to it, a bit uncertain of Patrice's next move.

The_Werebear
2008-02-20, 11:40 AM
Patrice

Ah, there you are. He nods, satisfied. When the good Father mentioned Demons leaning in, it worried me slightly. I had two questions to ask. First, were you listening in. Second, are there any other demons around that might have overheard?

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-20, 11:55 AM
Yes, Lemac states. As I was commanded by the master. I sense the presense of others, too, though most are well disguised.

The_Werebear
2008-02-20, 12:21 PM
Patrice

Well, that solves that issue. The priest suddenly feels very vulnerable. You may remain silent then. It is only important so far as your master knows we are doing the right then. If others know what we are doing... I am willing to take the risk to do right. And we are doing the right thing by God. With a nod, he stands. I am going back to the party. God's work must always be tended to, and just because Father de Noialles wasn't what we were hoping doesn't mean there won't be others. He is shaking slightly as he returns, real fear pervading him. Of all the stupid things I could do. Invisible bloody demons all over and I go blabbing my mouth like a gossipy street whore.

Bluff checks to make it sound like he is still talking about treason rather than spying, just in case other demons (specifically, ones belonging to de Noialles are there) are listening in right now. Using Naberius's ability to take 10 on bluff checks, for a total of 22

Toliudar
2008-02-20, 01:36 PM
Guillaume

Shaking his own head but not wishing to gild the lily, Guillaume simply follows Patrice back inside. Once back indoors, he looks for a quiet corner where he and Patrice can pray in private.

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-20, 01:40 PM
P&G:
Outside the main ballroom there is a hallway with rooms branching off of it. You find an unocupied drawing room with a few comfortable looking seats, and, further down the hall, a simiarly unocupied chappel.

Toliudar
2008-02-20, 03:37 PM
Guillaume

Slipping briefly into the chapel and waiting for Patrice to join him, Guillaume crosses to the altar, praying very hard that there were not, at this moment, a dozen demons preparing reports on a possible traitor, to go to someone OTHER than the ministry of war.

Once Patrice is in and the room closed, Guillaume moves close, resumes an attitude of prayer, and murmurs.

Well. That could have gone better. What's your read of him?

The_Werebear
2008-02-20, 05:31 PM
Brother Patrice

Yes indeed. I didn't even think of the demons when I brought him out there. And I had to cover my tracks to Lamac because De Noialles demon could have been listening in as well. So, yes. It gets better, because another demon might recognize Lamac and think the Minister is a traitor too. His voice is sour, and low. He starts pacing, making no indication he intends to go to the alter and start praying. As for the priest....We might have stumbled into something bigger than we knew previously. A captain is blathering about his orders foolishly, it sounds like Jaques's man. And this leads me to doubt him, as any spy could overhear him flapping his lips and report it. As for the Father, we might just have to wait for him to contact us.

Sense motive to evaluate the conversation in retrospect, especially the sincerity of Father de Noialles.
[roll0]

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-20, 09:51 PM
Riq Kelborn

"Tricks, mademoiselle? I? Never. Tricks are for boys, 'noble' youth who pretend their own self-worth. I have no tricks."

As he speaks, Riq enters the room and seats (or least offers to help seat) the ladies. He then offers to pour each wine and, regardless of their answer, pours himself a glass. Once that is taken care of Riq, still standing, gestures towards Elaina,

"Mademoiselle Nameless, you have asked for stories from London? Well then, you shall have them. What do you wish to hear?? Lady G--'s latest ball? Or perhaps something less...cultured. My unfortunate altercations with Lord Hayward, and the resulting slander he spread against me? I am the ladies servant, command and I shall answer.

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-21, 10:50 AM
Patrice:
Noailles was genuinely afraid of something, either afraid to be associated with such trechery, or afraid that you were spying on him, more likely the former. You sensed a real suspicion that something strange is going on, though not necessarily that you are the source of it.

P&G:
Roll wisdom checks.

Riq:

Elaina smiles. You know your own life better than us, sir, better than anyone I should hope. Why don't you tell us whatever you feel would be most exciting.

Anabelle, however, has different ideas. Oh, tell us about Ms. G--. Who was she? Some haughty old dutchess, I bet!

The_Werebear
2008-02-21, 01:25 PM
Patrice

De Noialles is genuine. He's a good man, but I think this whole affair is simply scaring him. With good cause. This is hardly a good situation.

[roll0]

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-21, 02:12 PM
Patrice:
You remember that a millitary secret was supposed to be leaked as bait for the traitor- perhaps the drunken captain was part of that operation.

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-21, 05:02 PM
Riq Kelborn

The Rose Knight turns first to Elaina,

"Well Mademoiselle Nameless, Annabelle has spoken and I must obey. Do not worry though, I'm certain that at least some of the details should interest you."

Pausing to set his drink down begins his tale,

"To understand this tale fully you'll have to understand Lady G--. She is not a Duchess, but rather a Countess. She is not old, but young. At least, young in appearance. She is, however, as you so astutely assumed Annabelle, very haughty.

She is also a sorceress of great power.

Lady G--'s balls were famed as the most exciting and unusual balls in all of London for, it was rumoured, she was part Fey and the evening was filled with strange and wonderful illusions. Her house had no servants, you were served by animated platters and drank from floating goblets. There was no furniture, fixed anyway. Should you desire to sit, the air would mold itself into whatever shape you desired.

The light came from no discernible source and shifted from room to room. One room of blue for those seeking peace, one of gold for the gamblers, one of purple in which shadows pantomimed the actions of the occupants--or rather, pantomiming the intent of the actions of the occupants. Needless to say, this room was quite popular with young lovers, and even more popular with business men. One of the rooms, which I had--entirely accidentally--stumbled into was Crimson, the room of desire.

Rumour had it that while in this room, a Lady or Gentleman of sufficient worth would find their true love. I myself doubt the veracity of such reports, but none-the-less I generally took great pains to avoid it. Love is something that should be discovered, not forced. Unfortunately, the rooms constantly shifted. There was no pattern to their locations. While this could be exciting, it was also dangerous at times.

You see, while I was in the Crimson room, I encountered the Lady G--. Apparently, she believed the rumours of the room's magic--and as the caster of the spell she certainly has reason to--and promptly declared her love for me. Unfortunately, the rooms spell was not working on me--or she was not my true love--and so I attempted to reason with her. Stung by my refusal of her love, she still commanded that I--as a gentleman--walk with her through her rose gardens. I--as any true gentleman--was compelled to obey the Ladies wishes in this, as in all things. Thus, through my obedience and honour, I began the most shameful chapter of my career.

But, surely you don't wish to hear more? Am I boring you Annabelle? Mademoiselle Nameless? Would you not rather talk of the ball we are attending? Or, at least, the ball that happens to be in close proximity to your apartments?"

So, I'm goign to need some checks in there. I'll make a bluff and diplomacy check here, hopefully I won't need more. It it, mostly, true.

Diplomacy [roll0]
Bluff [roll1]

Toliudar
2008-02-21, 09:07 PM
Guillaume

Wisdom check: [roll0]

Oh, sure. For THIS I get a 20.

I would certainly like to believe that we have the wrong man. Perhaps we should leave things be for a few hours - make ourselves apparent, but not approach him. That way, if he was simply uncomfortable with the manner of our contact, he can control the next one. And if he genuinely was put off by this, and does not approach, we can always try again much later in the party, when "wine makes fools of us all."

The_Werebear
2008-02-22, 01:47 AM
Brother Patrice

Well.. Something disturbed him. He gives up pacing and sits down neatly on a pew. We do also have the bait laying about. He shrugs and throws up his hands. I lack any better solutions than hovering about looking nervous. Although... I could affect a disguise to try and get closer to him. I am hardly a master of it, but I have requested the ability to change my features magically. So long as I don't let him touch me, I can look like someone else entirely. What's more, I can do this as often as I want. So, I can hover around him the entire night and it would never appear to him as anything more than a stream of different people.

He taps his chin, the points out a flaw in his own plan. The issue there is that if he or his friends notice a stream of different people monitoring him, he will withdraw further than a nun in a brothel.

Toliudar
2008-02-22, 01:59 AM
Guillaume

The slender young priest glances sidelong at his companion.

Brother, you are FULL of surprises. I'm intrigued.

Anyway, none of the rumours that I've heard about de Noailles suggests that he...bends in the direction that touching you would suggest. However, it is a party, and you are likely to be brushed up against. Would that be an issue?

If you do that, I may be able to go out in search of the planted information source. If I watch him through the evening, I might be able to spot one of our four candidates near, or engaging in conversation with, the good captain. I have some small gift at mind-reading, and might be able to catch a glimpse of their thoughts at the time.

He shrugged.

Altharis
2008-02-23, 03:35 AM
Seizing the initiative, Jacques walks up to the billiard table, swaggering nervously.

"Excuse me good sirs, but could you please er..." He then deflates his torso, looking for all the world like a young man whose ego has withered in the face of such mighty heroes. :smallwink: "Urm...Tell me who of you famous heroes would be er...winning...please?"


Who the freak are the other guys playing billiards?
Knowledge: K and N- [roll0]

Mikeavelli
2008-02-23, 09:58 AM
Dr. Klein

Sorry about the delay between postings, I've been in transit for the past couple days. this will, unfortunately, continue for the next couple days.

"Indeed, I hope to mine deeply the exploits of yourself and other great men in this room, and then present them dramatically on stage for the awe and wonderment of the peoples of France." Dr. Klein gives a wide grin when talking about this, "Naturally, not all of my works are satire, especially on the subject of military heroes.

I must confess however, I've also sought you out for another reason. I'm told a merchant by the name of Mats Tolander is here at the party tonight. I've never met him myself, but I'm told he deals mainly in weapons, just the sort of man you might know?

I'm told he's widely travelled, and has most likely been to Munich recently. If he has, he would most certainly have seen my play, and might be interested in sponsering a production here." Dr. Klein finishes, a hopeful look on his face.

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-23, 10:36 AM
Riq:

Although she's trying hard to appear nonchalant, you can tell that Elaina is very interested in your story.

Well, at least it's more interesting then the boring affair going on downstairs. Please, continue good sir.

Anabelle chimes in. Oh yes, do! What happened between you and the countess to shame you so?

Guillarme:

A dawning realization comes to you that the loose-lipped captain is certainly the "bait" rumor the minister spoke of.

Jacques:

Captain St. Pierre nods graciously. That would be me. I don't believe I've had the pleasure Sir...?

As to the other gentlemen in the room, you have no idea who they might be.

Klein:

The general frowns.

Tolander? That miserable Dutchman? I'd have nothing to do with him if I were you. Oh, he's rich all right, but utterly unscrupulous, not a speck of human decency in him. A slaver, a womanizer, double-dealer AND DUTCH. He'd sell his own granma to make a profit.

But if you insist on seeking him out, I believe he is upstairs in a rented appartment with a couple of... guests.

The disgust in the Dupont's voice is obvious.

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-23, 02:41 PM
Riq Kelborn

Smiling to himself as he sees his audiences interest grow Riq continues,

"Well, I suppose it is my own fault for telling this story. Remember, Lady G-- is a very powerful sorceress.

We walked through her gardens--I warily, but bound by honor--and talked of many things. Talking politics--she despised France--and fashion--she felt that the new dresses were much to constricting--and even astrology. I knew little of the latter, and cared little for the first, but as you know a gentleman must be able to converse on all things--especially those he is unfamiliar with.

After a time we came upon a floating platter loaded with fine wines. The Lady-my hostess-offered me a drink and I seized up the opportunity as drowning man grasps a piece of flotsam. With a glass to fill my hand I had an excuse to not return her caresses and with the wine upon my tongue I was excused from replying to her comments.

I never suspected that she would have ensorcelled the wine, though I should have. As I drank I felt as if a veil were drawn from my eyes. Where before had stood a beautiful sorceress now stood a Fey Goddess. I had been willing to fight for her, even to die for her. Honor demands no less, but I now found myself desiring only to worship her. With my words, my deeds, and...forgive me...my hands. I desired her, not as Puritan clasping her hands, but as a soldier clasping her arms.

As we left the garden we encountered a gentleman, a Lord Faraday, who was evidently quite smitten with her. He spoke to her in terms I considered far too familiar, and so I struck him across the face demanding satisfaction. he accepted, but business called him away for the rest of the month. We agreed to meet on the 7th of October, and that was that. For the rest of the month, I was hers. Her total slave, brainwashed. I was shown off at parties as 'her little rose'. "

Stretching Riq breaks from the story, Come now, that must be enough about me. It must be a sin of some sort for me to be in a room with two angels and to hardly let them speak."

Bluff [roll0]
Diplomacy [roll1]

Mikeavelli
2008-02-25, 06:50 AM
Dr. Klein

Dr. Klein turns up his nose in disgust at the Generals description of Mats, "Oh my... I'd heard he was a little unpleasant, but nothing so vehement. Although this might be in my best interests after all, he might not be sponser material, but nothing draws crowds like the story of a greedy, womanizing betrayer!

Have you ever, for instance, seen the Spanish play Don Juan? It tells the story of a man much like you describe Mats to be, who lives his life poorly only to be dragged down bodily to hell by the ghost of his most recent lover's father. Do you think Mats might be that sort of man?"

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-25, 11:13 AM
Riq:

I dare say your life is more interesting than mine, sir Riq, Elaina says. The life of a gentlemen is so involved, yours especially it seems. I merely do my duties as a lady, discuss womanly matters with my trusted servant Anabelle, and beat off greedy suitors. My life consists of little more.

But to be honest, I find I rather like being mysterious- it's a luxiury I so seldom enjoy these days. The company of a gentlemen such as yourself who harbors no designs is a rare thing, although still potentially scandelous should you be discovered here in my appartments. Isn't that right Anabelle?

Oh yes, quite so my lady, she grins.

So do go on.

Klein:

Dupont nods definitavely.

Without a doubt, good sir. Although I should say you will only damage your reputation by associating with such a man.

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-25, 01:13 PM
Riq Kelborn

"Well, you see ladies. There is not much left to tell. For a month I was her slave, her toy, her rose. I fought those who offended her and killed those who insulted her. I-her magical slave-made her feel loved and alive.

For a month that is, until my duel with Lord Faraday, God Bless his memory.

You see, Lord Faraday was an accomplished duelist. Unlike you French, an Englishman fights his own duels, and he had spent most of his month training while on his 'business' trip.

When we finally met it was a long and fierce fight. He was stronger than I, but I was faster. We fought for an hour, both breaking our first swords. Then again, breaking the second. I had struck his arm while he had struck my leg and side. I began to slow. He sensed his advantage and advanced most recklessly. Eager for the kill, he lowered his guard and I was able to srike the final blow.

After the fight, as I sat recovering, I felt my head begin to clear. The magic had been bled out Lord Faraday's sword, as effective-in its rather painful manner- as the finest surgeons leeches. When I returned-offended-to the Lady she sent her guards after me and spread vile rumours about how I seduced her and used her for her wealth. Realizing that I could not combat such slander, I decided to visit the glorious land of France where, so I heard, the women were twice as beautiful and twice as honorable as their English counterparts. So far, it appears that I heard true.

But, that's enough story telling for now. I need to stretch my legs a bit, and I certainly wouldn't wish to cause a scandal. Would the Nameless Mademoiselle be willing to grant me the pleasure of her company on a stroll through the gardens? Or, forgive my boldness, would she grant me the honour of a dance?

Riq asks the last while flashing his trademark dashing smile.

Bluff [roll0]
Diplomacy [roll1]

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-25, 01:17 PM
Riq:
How much of that story was true, anyway?

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-25, 01:26 PM
I guess all of it, really. Except for the part about me being enchanted. Her version of events, with me as the seducer is the accurate one. But we'll say the duel and everything else was true

The_Werebear
2008-02-25, 01:28 PM
Guillaume

The slender young priest glances sidelong at his companion.

Brother, you are FULL of surprises. I'm intrigued.

Anyway, none of the rumours that I've heard about de Noailles suggests that he...bends in the direction that touching you would suggest. However, it is a party, and you are likely to be brushed up against. Would that be an issue?

If you do that, I may be able to go out in search of the planted information source. If I watch him through the evening, I might be able to spot one of our four candidates near, or engaging in conversation with, the good captain. I have some small gift at mind-reading, and might be able to catch a glimpse of their thoughts at the time.

He shrugged.

Patrice

Very well then. I'll keep an eye on our priest. In the mean time... He closes his eyes, a look of very intense focus on his face. A thin gray mist clouds over him for a few seconds, along with the faint sound of growling. When it clears, instead of Patrice standing there is a woman, aged about 30 and bordering between plain and ugly, dressed in a style that is slightly behind cutting edge. Scowl furrows are embedded in her face. In Patrice's normal voice, he goes on. Well. How do I look? Will I get much notice, do you think? He shifts voices to match the disguise, a slightly screeching tone. Oh, don't mind me. I'm sitting about here while my escort's off cavorting with his buddies and sleeping around. Nope, just here minding my own business and waiting for that deadbeat.

Toliudar
2008-02-25, 04:29 PM
Guillaume

Guillaume smiles in spite of the seriousness of the situation. His own voice becomes a bit more sonorous, and comes up to full volume.

Well, that's a very patient and generous attitude of you, my dear. I was pleased to take your confession, even at such a gathering. In nomine patri, fili et spiritus sancti. Amen.

He gathers his nerve, and goes to the chapel door to open it and glance out. His manner is once again confident and smooth, betraying none of his apprehension.

After you, Madame de Tranquille.

The_Werebear
2008-02-26, 01:57 AM
Patrice

Hrmph. Thank you, kind Brother. Now, I shall go back to watching the party and waiting for my miserable escort to finish getting drunk and take me home. Gathering up the skirts of the dress (and slipping enough to mutter By all the hells and spirits, these are bothersome) and marches off. The faux woman takes up a position where Father de Noialles is in clear view and waits, with a look that promises pain to anyone who comes near or starts conversation.

Toliudar
2008-02-26, 10:06 AM
Guillaume

Guillaume bows his head respectfully as the "lady" passes him in the doorway, completely hiding the grin that spreads across his face at Patrice's words.

Good luck, Brother. Good luck to us all.

Slipping out of the chapel behind Madame, Guillaume forces himself to count to ten before heading into the depths of the party. Realizing that any of the ways that he could find to ask after the rumour-spreader would either tip his hand or, even worse, the entire ruse, Guillaume instead snags a cup of wine and wanders well out into the gardens, and settles on a bench. He affects enough of a hesitation to suggest at least a mild inebriation, and starts up a running commentary on the Contra Faustum Manichaeum in Latin. Somehow, it seemed at least somewhat appropriate to the time, and the task at hand.

Within his latin recitation and commentary, he works in "Lemac Lemac Lemac."

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-26, 10:49 AM
Riq:

Elaina thinks for a moment, weighing her options. I suppose I've been couped up here long enough. Let's downstairs.

As she gathers herself together, Anabelle creeps over and whipsers into her ear, eliciting a funny look from Elaina.

I don't suppose you have a friend who wouldn't mind accompanying us? she asks

Patrice:

Unheaded by the other partygoers, Patrice moves about the hall, locating Noailles. He is standing in the corner with the long-haired priest, Renaldo. They look concerned, and occasionally look around them at the crowd.

You can get close enough to listen in, but you risk drawing attention to yourself. To not be noticed at all, make a hide check. To simply appear inconspicuous, make a bluff check. To remain anonymous, make a disguise check.

Guillarme:

There is faint noise like the sound of a harpstring being plucked, but the imp is nowhere to be seen.

Speak.

Once the imp makes himself known, it becomes obvious that he materialized behind Patrice, using the priest's body to shield himself from the large clear windows of the ball room.

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-26, 12:33 PM
Riq Kelborn

Sense Motive to see if Elaina wants someone else, of if she'd prefer just the two of us. [roll0]

If she wants another I do the following:

"I believe I do know a gentleman who would be willing to accompany us, he should be downstairs at the party already. Though, in the spirit of the evening, I believe it would be best if he remain nameless. It is only fair that all sides have some mystery. "

Well, sorry Jacques. I suppose you'll have to deal with the maid as well as hunt down your Captain. She's a pretty thing though, don't worry.

If not, I do this:

No my dear, I'm sorry. I came to this party with only one other friend, and he has been practically frothing at the chance to meet some war captain or other. The gentleman is a duelist and has, I fear, been struck with a bit of hero worship. He would be most intolerable company this evening."

Should I not be certain she wants us alone, I take the first option.

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-26, 12:37 PM
Riq

Double Woops! Dang typos. Here we go, fo 'real: [roll0]

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-26, 01:17 PM
Riq:
It's actually the maid that wants you alone, although Elaina seems a bit fascinated by you as well. Not sure which option you want to go with.

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-26, 01:35 PM
Ah. Well, I suppose option 1 then. Don't want to offend. Have fun Jacques!

The_Werebear
2008-02-26, 04:52 PM
Patrice

And so begins act two, in which I sink to a new low. Falling from faith, check. Deals with devils, check. Crossdressing. Check. The brothers back at Marseilles would be so proud of me. The surly attitude helps him get in character as the disguised priest stalks over to within earshot of the priests. He takes up a station near them, grabbing a glass of wine as well. From there, he focuses on simply blending into the background.

Bluff to stay out of the way
[roll0]

Toliudar
2008-02-26, 06:11 PM
Guillaume

Hearing the imp behind him, Guillaume is careful not to react, but shifts his Latin ramble to the purpose, and drops his volume, just in case.

Considering the actions of the Romans, it ought to be easier than it is to turn Latin to discussions of treachery.

Patrice is...trying another approach. I wish to observe the spy planting information. Describe him physically.

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-29, 09:23 AM
Patrice:

The unremarkable madam grumpily insinuates herself within earshot of the priests.

I don't think you should let this ruin your weekend, Father... Renaldo weedles.

No, Renaldo, don't worry about me. I think I'd better retire to my appartment before my reputation can be damaged any further than it already is, Noailles replies.

You're going to leave me down here with Louis?

A challenge would do you well, I think. His tone grows dark. Besides, you know the Crown has been after me. I have scarcely been able to send a messenger as of late, and my demons are running out of tricks. No, I can't risk further attention to myself.

What do you mean to do couped upstairs all night? And what of tomorow?

I'll entertain myself somehow, I suspect. I'll pray, reflect, read... Perhaps I'll write in my diary. Do not try to persuade me further, please. Good night, Renaldo.

The young priest nods. Good night, Father.

The older priest walks out of the room, while the younger casts a glance around the hall. Frowning, he walks off toward the disguised Patrice. As Renaldo walks past, the two bump into each other (Renaldo distracted, Patrice purposely not looking), and he stops. He looks at the lady, as if trying to recall her name, then his expression grows confused.

I beg your pardon,Madam he politely says, then walks on by.

Riq:
The two ladies accompany the brash Englishman outside and down the hallway. The laughter behind the first door upstairs as grown quite raucus. The three of them pass it by and rejoin the crowd.

So where is this friend of yours, Mns. Kellborne?

Guillarme:

Thin. Blonde. With a weak mustache. Millitary dress- a Captain's stripes, but not really. Colonel. A spy. That all Lemac knows.

Toliudar
2008-02-29, 10:01 AM
Guillaume

The priest nods, covering it with a cough. He concludes his latin and murmurs.

I am getting up now.

Giving the imp a moment to react, he then rises, not looking back, and heads into the swirling mass of the party, seeking out a military officer matching that description. And hoping that there wouldn't be more than one.

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-29, 11:20 AM
The Imp blinks out of existance as Guillarm rises and heads back into the party.

DC 15 Spot Check

The_Werebear
2008-02-29, 11:20 AM
Patrice

A wicked grin forms on the face of the false madam. All too easy. Leaving a record is bad form, priest. I should know. I do it. Lets hope you are foolish enough to write without code. Sipping his wine as he goes, the priest edges out of the crowd. He loiters around in a different location, listening in idly on a few other conversations, partially for his own amusement, and partially to prevent making an issue of showing up and departing too quickly. After about 20 minutes, he withdraws towards the empty chapel, looking for a place to discard his disguise. I should remember this trick. No one ever bothers a surly looking woman at a party around dozens of friendly ones.

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-29, 01:07 PM
Patrice:
Easily done, consider yourself undisguised at will. You do notice that Riq has appeared at the top of the stairs with two attractive ladies. Other than that, nothing of interest.

The_Werebear
2008-02-29, 01:41 PM
Patrice

The priest spots Riq at the top of the stairs, and notes the two women on either side. Ah, progress. Or, a very good distraction. A change of personas is in order. A broad grin spreads across his face, and he ducks slightly to add a flush to his cheeks with his magical disguise, as if he has been drinking just a slight bit too much. He takes a sip of his wine and flushes it about his mouth quickly. With wine on his breath, and a hearty, jolly manner taken up, the now excessively merry priest walks to intercept the trio. Naberius, Guide my meaning to his mind..

Ah, Monseuir Kelborn! Fancy seeing you here. I didn't know you were coming. I have been meeting all the most fascinating people here. Did you know Father de Noialles was here? Fascinating fellow. Great theories on all sorts of things. I should think I should talk to him further. And the wine! The wine here absolutely amazing. I should think each glass should cots its weight in gold He shifts, as if noticing the women for the first time. Ah, Monseuir, you are with company! Do me the honor of introductions.

For Lepre as well.
Using Bluff to send a secret message to you. The DC is 20 for a complex message, and with a +12 to bluff and the ability to take 10 on bluff checks, you should get it clearly. The message is Guillaume and I talked to the Priest. I think he might be it, or at least involved. I am still following up on him.
Also, a disguise check to appear intoxicated
[roll0]

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-29, 02:29 PM
Riq Kelborn

Amused by the priests antics, Riq obligingly gestures towards Elaina,

"Of course Brother! It is my honour to introduce, the Lady of Mysteries and Shadow, Mademoiselle the Nameless."

Turning now towards Annabelle,

"Here we have the equally lovely Mademoiselle Annabelle.

Now ladies, allow to introduce Brother Patrice, a monk of Marseille and my spiritual adviser.

Tell me brother, have you seen Jacques LeBlanc anywhere? We were seeking him, and surely don't wish to interrupt your theological discussions with the good Father.

Bluff [roll0] to convince the ladies he really is my spiritual adviser.
Spot [roll1]- to see Jacques

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-29, 03:01 PM
Charmed, I am sure Elaina nods.

Anabelle looks slightly concerned, Oh, but you sound sick, good sir. Surely you'd do better with some bed rest than with drink and debate?

Riq:
You do not see Jeacques.

Toliudar
2008-02-29, 03:05 PM
Guillaume

Snagging a glass of red wine from a table as he passed, Guillaume slipped into one of the larger rooms at the palace, hoping to catch sight of his target.

Now...where are you, o captain my captain. Ah. There you are.

[roll0] Spot

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-29, 03:22 PM
Riq Kelborn

"Annabelle, he is a man of God. They rest through debate and discussion. Where as a man of world such as myself is wearied by such arts, a man of God finds himself rejuvenated through the furthered understanding of the Christ.

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-29, 03:59 PM
Guillarme:
Nailed it

The Leak is dancing clumsily with an attractive woman, still apparently drunk. The clever observer might notice that his lunges and lurches, though emphatic, seldom if ever put him or anybody else in danger of a collision.

The_Werebear
2008-02-29, 04:31 PM
Patrice

The priest bows extravagantly, A pleasure to meet you, Mademoiselles Shadow and Annabelle. And it is of no issue, I just catch minor colds. They bother me little by now. And no, I have not seen Jacques, unfortunately. He may be looking for military men, he expressed an interest in chatting with them.

In any case, I must move on. He gives a grin and a wink. As your spiritual adviser, I recommend having a good evening. He bows again, and walks off at a slight list.

Altharis
2008-02-29, 05:24 PM
Alright, gotta get back into gear. Sorry aboiut the delay. I'd hate to think that I'm dragging down this FREAKIN' AWESOME game.

"Jacques LeBlanc, a Court Duelist, sir...Though I doubt my experience would be enough to call me a sir. I am very honoured to make your acquaintance." He says, with a slight air of pride mixed with respect and awe.

What should I roll to remember some of his exploits?

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-29, 05:28 PM
Riq Kelborn

"Ah, Brother you see why I so trust your advice! It is sublime, a glimpse of the Divine Himself! Truly God has blessed you with wisdom and insight!"

As Patrice stumbles away, Riq begins to head into the crowd,

"Ladies, I apologize for my inability to find Jacques straight away. Still, as I'm sure you are well aware, it is no small feat to find just one brash young gentleman with a sword in a party such as this. France is plagued with dull young noblemen. Jacques however, is far from dull. Indeed, he saved my life back when I first came to Paris and has since forth remained my truest friend. There is not a man in the world possessing more honor than Jacques LeBlanc."

Lepre_Khan
2008-02-29, 05:35 PM
I keep forgetting my rolls.

Spot [roll0] to see a group of young military men. We wander around the party while doing this.

Toliudar
2008-02-29, 07:03 PM
Guillaume

Having spotted his target, Guillaume does his best not to look at the man again. Instead, he settles against a wall, apparently focused on his wine, and watches out for those who might, in turn, be observing the man.

Spot [roll0]

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-29, 09:54 PM
Patrice:
Where are you going and what are you doing? Are you looking for anything/anyone?

Riq:
There are a number of military men in attendance, though no group of young soldiers. You see Klein chatting up an older gentlemen with general's stars, a young, blonde captain drunkenly waltzing about the dance floor, two gentlemen in dress uniforms laughing about some exploit or another, but no sign of St. Pierre or Jacques.

However, you do notice the very rude gentlemen from before, the one you dispatched in front of Mademoiselles DeChamps' chambers. He locks eyes with you for a moment, notices that you are now with Elaina and Anabelle, then an expression comes over him not unlike that of a man who has accidentally swallowed a very hot pepper.

Jacques:
Any relevant knowledge will do, nobility, local, or even history.

Alton St. Pierre, at your service, but please: dispense with the formalities! In my experience, fancy titles and in-court posturing is nothing compared to a man's character. Don't you agree?


Guillaume:

Some people are eying the spy, but they appear mostly to be gawking. Riq is on the balcony with two young ladies, and he, at least, seems to be giving the gentlemen some thought.

The_Werebear
2008-03-01, 02:16 PM
Patrice

The priest slinks away to another secluded corner and begins to try and figure out what do to next.

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-01, 10:50 PM
Riq Kelborn

Riq smiles grandly at the red-faced rude gentleman before sighing in exasperation,

"I can't seem to see him anywhere. Tell me, do either of you ladies know a Alton St. Pierre? If you are able to see him, my friend should be near by."

As he says this he steers the the ladies into the crowd, keeping an eye out for Jacques.

Since I can't seem to see him, if they can't I'm going to just make Gather Info checks to try and locate Jacques

Asking about Jacques: [roll0]

Asking about Cpt. St. Pierre: [roll1]

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-03, 02:11 PM
Riq:
You don't spy Jacques, but you DO see the very rude gentlemen from before. He spies you next to Elaina and Anabelle, and becomes livid. His face noticibly flushing, he reaches for his sword, which, unfortunately (or fortunately?) for him isn't there- he checked it at the door.

He begins to make his way through the crowd toward you, but is a long way off.

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-03, 03:46 PM
Riq Kelborn

"Well ladies, I hate to delay our hunt for Jacques, but it appears we have a rather rude gentleman coming our way. I'd just as soon not kill a man I've just met for a lady whose name I have yet to receive and so, I believe this would be a good time for a dance. My apologies Annabelle, but I'm certain a woman of your beauty can find at least one decent gentleman amongst these."

Saying this, Riq takes Elaina out onto the dance before she can think of a proper way to say 'no'.

I have no idea what to roll here.

Diplomacy [roll0]
Bluff (Seduction) [roll1]
Perform (Dance) [roll2]

Altharis
2008-03-04, 02:36 AM
Taking an inward sigh, Jacques immediatelky wipes away the feigned nervousness: "Quite right sir! If I may say so myself, when words turn to burning insults, all that matters is both the inner mettle and the outer metal of any good man." As he says "inner mettle" he points towards his heart, and when he says "outer mettle" he points towards his chain shirt.

If Jacques hasn't already done so, he initiates a friendly duelist's handshake, the sort of handshake shared by two men who in one way or another have dedicated their lives to the sword.


I'll try all three:
Nobility and Royalty: [roll0]
History: [roll1]
Local: [roll2]

Toliudar
2008-03-04, 09:22 AM
Guillaume

Settling in as a wallflower at the party, Guillaume fiddles with his cane down beside him and casts about for a possible conversation companion - preferably a self-absorbed young man who will do all the talking. His intent is to keep half an eye on the room around the bait.

[roll0] Spot

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-04, 04:26 PM
Riq:
Oof! Monsieur Englishman, you are bold! Elaina calls out as you drag her onto the dance floor. You see Anabelle's expression darken with jealousy as you pull away from her and spin about the ballroom. Each time you make a rotation, you notice the very rude gentlemen inching closer to you. He sidesteps dancers and cavorters, occasionally coliding with some ill-fated party guest and seething with frustration. You reason that unless you move to evade, he will be upon you within 3 rounds.

Jacques:

Mm, precisely, St. Pierre nods and accepts your handshake. Allow me to introduce you to my friends Mnsrs. Belmont and Thelois, Corporal Farquoit, Lord Chembau and last of all my servant Thomas.
As each man is introduced, he nods cordially, except for Thomas, who bows in deference.

17 history is good enough to know that he fought in the battle of Aushauck.


Guillaume:

As you cast about for company, you spy Louis, the ugly young priest. He meets your glance and approaches you.

We meet again, brother, he says. You certainly have seemed to upset Noailles. What, pray tell, did you say to him?

Toliudar
2008-03-04, 07:35 PM
Guillaume

The young priest assumes a surlier manner than he really feels. This man had strong opinions and a decent mind. Perhaps he could be turned to advantage.

Not all of us are content to show our faith only in debating abstract principles. We are eager to serve God in this life, as well as the next. I believe Father de Noailles feels the same, and I admire him for it. Certainly, I had no intention of upsetting him.

What, sir, do you stand for?

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-04, 10:07 PM
Riq Kelborn

"I? Bold? Perhaps Lady, perhaps. It shall never be said that the Rose Knight is a coward, even my foes grant me courage. Still, it was not courage that inspired my actions. It was mere pragmatism.

You are the most lovely woman here this evening. In fact, you are so lovely I find myself wondering if you are, perhaps, a practitioner of the sorcerer's Art. Regardless",

Here Riq nods towards the very rude gentleman,

"It may soon become neccessary for me to leave the party so that I may defend your honor. If I may not have your name, I desired to have at least a dance."

Riq begins to steer their dance aways from the very rude gentleman as he continues,

"Now tell me Beautiful Lady of Mystery, if I am forced to leave this party, may I call on you again? How would I even go about it?

I would truly regret killing a man over a Lady with whom I am only able to share one dance. Certainly, a man's life is nothing next to a Lady's honor, yet I still regret each time I shed blood. There was too much blood shed whilst I was enspelled."

Well, this situation is shaping up into a nice D'artagnan+Milady+Kitty love triangle.

Dip [roll0]
Bluff (Seduction) [roll1]

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-05, 04:16 PM
Riq:

As you dip Mms. DeChamps (in a most impressive manner) you obscure yourselves from the very rude gentlemen, and buying yourself an extra few seconds of privacy.

This is fun. Let's do perform:dance checks round by round (DC20) to continually evade the V.R.G. Clock: 3 rounds.


That is completely unnecessary, sir, Elaina says, clearly a bit upset. I am perfectly capable of maintaining my honor all on my own. It was cute when you dispatched him before, and I dare say amusing but I do not think he needs to have his blood spilled on my account.

[spoiler]Don't forget, only one rounds worth of dialogue per post! Yes, it will slow things down a bit, but I think its worth it for effec, don't you?[spoiler]

Guilluame:

Louis has an empassioned look about him, as if filled with fire. He doesn't look angry, not exactly, but perhaps over excited.

For god and country. And for the truth, brother. I ask again, what did you discuss?

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-05, 04:48 PM
Riq Kelborn

While I have no doubts about your ability to defend your honor, he will most certainly accuse you of behaving immorally. I will disagree, and we shall be forced to duel. Still, if you'd prefer another way I'm willing to bow to your will.

This is fun, quite tense and very cinematic. Though the one round of dialogue per post may limit Riq's usual flowery prose!

Perform (Dance)[roll0]
Diplomacy [roll1]
Bluff (Seduction)[roll2]

All this ranks in Dip and BLuff and I still haven't got her name. That's depressing.

Toliudar
2008-03-05, 10:05 PM
Guillaume

Could this upstart be the true leak, or perhaps an accomplice?

Guillaume puts on more fire than he truly feels.

You are neither my superior nor my confessor, sir, and this is not the place for such a conversation. There is a chapel back this way where we might speak in private.

Guillaume makes a small gesture towards the passage to the chapel, and makes a show of calming himself by swigging a mouthful of wine. He glanced over at Riq, who seemed to be deeply engrossed in dancing with some young woman or other. Ah well. Each to their own gifts, he supposed.

If Louis seems inclined to follow, Guillaume will lead the way to the chapel, leaning a bit more heavily on his cane than is required.

The_Werebear
2008-03-06, 02:12 AM
Patrice

The priest is still dithering in the hallway towards the chapel, putting him in line to see Guillaume and the loudmouth student approaching. He sends Guillaume a significant glance, stepping out to intercept the pair. Good evening, Brother. What seems to be the matter? He feigns noticing the student, and bows. Ah, monsieur. Here to discuss more theory?

Bluffing to fall back into the student role.
[roll0]

As for my location, I never really moved from where I was. So, I should be in the way. However, If I am really somewhere else, tell me and I'll erase this.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-06, 09:41 AM
Riq:
Ha, I thought that first diplomacy check was a DIP, as in the dance move. Seeing that as it is, the DC 20 might be a little high, so i'm reducing it to 15

The Rose Knight and his de facto date gracefully whirl around the dance floor, evading the very angry gentlemen.

Yes, I very much would prefer it. He may deserve a good dressing down or a box on the ears perhaps, but by now I am used to having my honor insulted and handling it in my own way.

Guillaume, Patrice:

The ugly priest gives a crooked smile, as if to say Fine, I'll play your game. What he says is, Certainly. Lead the way.

The two walk across the ballroom toward the chappel where they are intercepted by Patrice.

As a matter of fact, no, Louis replies. Your friend and I were headed to the chappel to discuss what he and Father Noailles spoke of in the garden. But afterwards, if you wish, I'd be glad to entertain you with debate.

He casts his glance around the ballroom as if looking for somebody.

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-06, 01:46 PM
Riq Kelborn

"Lady, it pains me to see you so casually dismiss the insults you face, but I am your servant and shall obey your wishes."

Grinning rather rakishly he adds,

Though of course, I certainly shan't regret the misunderstanding that led to this delightful dance.

Oh! Well, my lazy typing has worked to my advantage! Excellent. Sorry 'bout that though.

Perform (Dance) [roll0]
Diplomacy [roll1]
Bluff (Seduction) [roll2]

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-06, 02:30 PM
Yes, it has been a long time since I really enjoyed dancing with somebody. Most men are so stuffy...

The very rude gentlemen, seeing an opening, darts between two waltzing couples, only to colide with a hitherto unseen fat man- deftly positioned by the devious two step of The Rose Knight.

My goodness, Mns. Kellborne, you are quite the dancer! Where did you learn those steps?

Two natural 20s in a row for a perform dance? Incredible. And I am taking your other roles into account as well, but you don't really need a new dipolmacy roll every round. She's already grown rather fond of you- maybe she's playing hard to get? Sense motive?

Toliudar
2008-03-06, 02:47 PM
Guillaume

Ah, Patrice. It's good to see that you are feeling quite yourself again. Brother Louis seems quite concerned about the nature of our conversation, although he hasn't actually explained the nature of his rather, ah, proprietary interest. I had suggested that the chapel might be unoccupied, and a quiet place to chat. Perhaps you would care to join us?

Sense Motive [roll0], trying to follow Louis' eyeline and determine what he is looking at/for.

The_Werebear
2008-03-06, 03:18 PM
Patrice

Of course. I see your reason for concern, as we may have upset the good father slightly. This is primarily, as Brother Guillaume says, a proprietary matter. But if you feel you must know, I am sure we can deal with your questions in an appropriate manner. He bows slightly, polite but not meshing with his suddenly icy tone. He casts a brief glance and Guillaume, catching his eye, followed by a subtle glance at Louis filled with callousness.

To Brother Guillaume
Bluff to include a concealed meaning, Using Naberius's take 10 on bluff ability to ensure a successful transmission: We may have to silence him. There is too much at risk here for him to take any knowledge away.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-06, 03:53 PM
Guillaume:
You can't tell exactly who or what he was looking for, just that he cast a glance about.

Father Noailles is a dear mentor, and far too important a man to be caught up in any sort of unpleasantness. You understand my concern for his reputation, Louis says calmly, his voice full of sincerity.

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-06, 10:19 PM
Riq Kelborn

"Well, I did spend some time in the court of a rather prominent English Lady as you may recall. I didn't spend all my time fending off rivals. Regardless, not all men are as tame as these French. You're from some mysterious land of dreams and stardust Mademoiselle Shadow, and I from England which is much the same. It is quite natural that any interaction of ours is exceptional."

While speaking, Riq attempts to angle towards the exit for the Rose Garden.

What can I say? Riq can, evidently, dance. 'course, watch is be a 1 now that I've said that...

Perform (dance) [roll0]
Sense Motive [roll1]

Toliudar
2008-03-07, 12:32 AM
Guillaume

Guillaume ushers Louis into the chapel, sits and invites the young man to sit next to him. Better that he be the instrument of distraction, since the man was already incensed at him.

Of course, of course. Sadly, though, you'll understand that the Church is not always democratic in the way in which information is shared. Much as I'd like to like to share more...

He gestured towards his plain black cassock, clearly marking him as a member of the militant and often secretive Jesuits.

There is little I can say of our conversation. Certainly, we mean nothing but good for Father Noailles. Wouldn't you say, Patrice?

Guillaume hopes that a tiny shake of his head to his companion, over the head of Louis, convinces Patrice not to initiate action...at least, not yet.

The_Werebear
2008-03-07, 03:19 AM
Patrice

It pains me to say so. Our information was for the good Father only, and it would break trust if we shared it with you. The priest digs around in his satchel briefly, coming up with a thick Bible. He flips open to a page at random, and begins thumbing through it casually. Patrice positions himself so that he is between the student and the exit, and hopefully behind the students back as well, with a very heavy book. Just in case.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-07, 09:36 AM
Riq:

The Rose Knight attempts to engineer an angle of escape, but in doing so moves counter to DeChamps, briefly breaking their rhythm. The Very Rude Gentlemen takes advantage of their mistep to get in closer.

You are full of surprises, Riq, Elaina grins, apparently unphased by the mistep. Is it true that England has more magicians than the rest of Europe combined? I heard every soldier there has a personal Imp to watch over them.

You believe you are winning her over. If she is still not forthcoming with her name and information about her past, it is because she'd rather remain anonymous. She may think that knowing who she is will influence or spoil your interactions.

Guillaume, Patrice:

So you took me into a private room to tell me you can't tell me anything? Louis frowns. No, I think there's more to it than this. Father Noailles has done something wrong, hasn't he? I know he's been keeping a secret.

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-07, 11:18 AM
Riq Kelborn

"We may not have more magicians, but we certainly have better magicians. England is more closely aligned with Faerie, or so they saying goes. We have the famed magicians roads that lead straight into Faerie, and one of our kings was once a ruler of Faerie, England, and this queer little country on the far side of Hell. In England, magic isn't something that is summoned from a far, it is something that you breath in every breath. It is the air and the earth, the rivers and clouds.

Riq tries to head for the Rose Garden, hoping Elaina is ready to follow this time.

I have no idea how much of this is true, but it's always fun to bring in Susannah Clarke. At worst case, I figure it could be English propaganda.

Perform (dance) [roll0] --I'm hoping my die rolling karma has evened itself out here.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-07, 11:27 AM
The dancing couple angle toward the Rose Garden, but do not move any further away from the very rude gentlemen, who is now just feet away.

Elaina smirks. Why would you ever choose to leave such a wonderous place? Are you telling storries, sir 'knight?'

He's gaining on you. If you fail your next check, he catches you. If you pass your next two checks, you make it to the Rose Garden before he does so.

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell ftw!

The_Werebear
2008-03-07, 12:41 PM
Patrice

Ahh... Suspicion. I wonder how deeply his loyalty lies, and to whom. The priest's voice contains shock, despite his cynical thoughts. Sir, are you accusing Father de Noialles of wrongdoing? We sought him out because we feel he is a just and righteous man! You are his student, you should know better. Were I a knight rather than a scholar and a priest, I would consider demanding satisfaction. As I am not a bearer of arms, I merely must convey my disappointment.

Lets see how you like being on the defensive, Louis. Do you defend your master or yourself?


[roll0]

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-07, 02:01 PM
Riq Kelborn

Stories? Of course I'm telling stories. True stories, but stories none-the-less. I left for a chance to live my life free of enchantment. Would you not tire of the fantastical if you were bombarded with it every waking moment? Court life can be dull, even magical court life.

Riq continues to angle for the garden, away from the very rude gentleman.


Perform (dance) [roll0]

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-07, 03:20 PM
Riq:

The Very Rude Gentlemen continues his persuit, always just a step behind the duo. His patience is wearing thin, and he looks ready to burst with anger.

DeChamps sighs. Perhaps I am just too accustomed to being lied to by men. I would like to believe you, Riq, but it just seems... she trails off, perhaps unsure of what she means, or how to say it.

So it comes down to this. If you fail your next roll, you will be caught by the gentlemen. If you pass, you can make a hide check to slip out without being noticed if you choose.

Patrice:

Louis looks genuinely surprised.

Dissapointed sir? In whom? You say you sought out Noailles because he is honest and just- but you have clearly upset him. Is that because you were wrong about him, or because you yourself have a slanted view on what "honest" and "just" really are?

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-07, 05:41 PM
Riq Kelborn

Men should never lie to a lady such as you. I have my faults: I'm proud, I have little patience for courtly manners, and I'm perhaps to quick to fight, but I can't stand for liars. Give me the name of a gentleman who has lied to you and I shall ensure he regrets his actions.

Perform (dance) [roll0]

Should I succeed,

"Come lady, let us discuss this elsewhere."

Hide [roll1], and duck out into the rose gardens.

Oh, and I reckon I'm going to need a bluff check given what I've just said is a total, bald-faced lied.

Bluff [roll2]

And, for good measure,

Sense Motive [roll3]

To try and discern the ladies feelings.

Altharis
2008-03-10, 02:54 AM
if we're going to be harping on about the awesomeness of J.Strange and M. Norrel, I'll have to admit that I'm having immense trouble wading through that glorious swamp of fine literature. :smalltongue:

Jacques bows slightly to each man, enough to show respect for rank and exploits, but still keeping his dignity. He then turns to the Capitaine, and says the following: "And now I shall not dither around and get straight to the reason for my visit here: I must remove the good Capitaine from your midst so as to speak to him in private."

Checks needed for anything?

Toliudar
2008-03-10, 08:16 AM
Louis looks genuinely surprised.

Dissapointed sir? In whom? You say you sought out Noailles because he is honest and just- but you have clearly upset him. Is that because you were wrong about him, or because you yourself have a slanted view on what "honest" and "just" really are?

To keep the young man bouncing between the two of them and off balance, Guillaume cleared his throat.

Louis, you may have the luxury of questioning the motives of those who have sent us. Enjoy it while you can.

And tell me, sir. What were you planning to do with the information that you tried to bully from me? Had I told you the nature of our private conversation, what would you have done with that knowledge?

Strange and Norrell? Couldn't get excited about it. Got about 300 pages in and literally threw it across the room.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-10, 08:17 AM
Riq:

Before Elaina can respond, the very rude gentlemen lays a hand on Riq's shoulder. Although he addresses the Englishman, his eyes do not break from DeChamps, his tone biting.

Ah! So the harlott dances after all. I'd watch out for this one if I were you, sir. She may seem demure, but she is a little monster. What do you have to say for yourself, chienne petite? Two-timer!

How dare you! Elaina flushes. Two-timer? Moi? You take a great many liberties, sir, though not so many as you might like to!

Jacques:

The Captian looks about to protest, but thinks better of it.


Very well, he says. If you'll excuse us, gentlemen, the game will have to go on hold.

He nods and lets Jacques lead the way. Thomas rises and follows behind, silent as a shadow and about as obtrusive.

Guillaume:

Louis just smirks. So it was something damning then? Very well, I suspect I can get the rest of it out of Noailles himself. Why don't the two of you rejoin the party and enjoy yourselves? Leave me to say my prayers in private?

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-10, 08:26 AM
Riq Kelborn

Riq brushes the gentleman's hand off his shoulder as he turns around, smiling grandly,"Monster? No, sir, I doubt that a Lady this fair could be a monster. I find it a far more likely that she only dances with men of quality."

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-10, 10:39 AM
The very rude gentleman sneers, then attempts to appear cool.

Was that supposed to be an insult? I'm trying to do you a favor. Don't trust this wanton, she is not as she seems! Nothing will please her more than stringing you along and then breaking your heart.

That is, unless you do not care about a lady's purity. If you prefer a woman of loose morals, than I cannot help you.

Mms. DeChamps seems too livid to respond.

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-10, 01:17 PM
Riq Kelborn

"Insulting? No, sir. I didn't mean to be insulting. Really, how could it be? It would only be insulting if you were to believe yourself of low quality. I have to say, since this appears to be the case, you do yourself a disfavor. It is rare indeed to see a Frenchman who judges his own worth so accurately.

However, even your honest appraisal of your worthlessness isn't enough to redeem yourself from the unfortunate curse of stupidity.

This is the second time we've met tonight Monsieur. The first time you were rather upset by the strength of the ladies morals. Could you, as the scientists say, be projecting your own sins and weaknesses on to one greater than yourself?

Normally, I would kill you for what you have said. However, I am attempting practice that most Christian of virtues: Mercy. Leave us before I change my mind.

Riq steps forward as he speaks, placing himself between the lady and the very rude gentleman. As he speaks, he looks around trying to get a feel for his location.


Intimidate [roll0]
Spot [roll1]--The idea is that, if he doesn't leave, I've promised not to kill him. So I'm looking for a platter to bash him with. Or, should something more swashbuckely appear, that works too.

If nothing else, a fist can work.

The_Werebear
2008-03-10, 01:25 PM
Patrice

The priest says nothing, but takes a step further towards the back of the Louis. He hefts the thick and heavy bible in his hands, getting a feel for the weight of it. He raises and eyebrow and gives a significant glance to Guillaume, waiting for him to give some sign, yes or no.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-10, 02:00 PM
Who do you think you are, talking to me like that? You English pigs are all like, constantly harping about manners while you yourself practice none! And now you threaten to kill me, an unarmed man, while you cary a sword? How honorable!

Your misplaced sympathy for this wretch is sad, but predictable. You aren't the first she's twisted around her finger.

Enough! Elaina shrieks. I won't have you spreading such lies about me. Monsieur Kellborne is a decent man, which is more than I can say for you, although he's quite wrong about your "honest appraisal" of your worth. You may be an Earl, but you are utterly bankrupt of any human decency.
Lies? I think not, Madamoiselle; and by the time I'm through, no man in France will have you.


There is a vase, a full place setting, and a chair easily within reach.

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-10, 02:21 PM
Riq Kelborn

Well Monsieur Le Earl, I believe all that has to be said with words has been said.

We shall have to meet another time to continue our discussion in a more suitable manner.

3 0'clock. Tomorrow. With blades behind the Rue de Carmelle.

Feel free to have me change the location to a better place. I was just trying to remember my Three Musketeers.

Toliudar
2008-03-11, 01:58 AM
Guillaume

Another small shake of the head, and Guillaume rises.

Boy, you know nothing. Worse than nothing, because now you think you know something. Wheedle your master all you want.

He sweeps up and away, hoping that Patrice will have had time to reposition himself and the book.

Once outside the chapel, Guillaume waits for Patrice, breathing deeply to regain his composure after the infuriating interview with the whelp. The door closed, Guillaume leads Patrice further away from the party, down a side passage, for a quick, whispered conversation.

Truly, he knows nothing, but if Noailles trusts him, Louis could just as easily be the spy. Can you assume the form of Father de Noailles, even long enough to get a brief indication from the boy, or perhaps plant a false story in his head? Back at the party, he was watching for someone. He is playing a game, as surely as we are, Brother.

The_Werebear
2008-03-11, 04:15 AM
Patrice

Somewhat crossly, the priest follows Guillaume out without harming Louis. Once they are sufficient distance away to avoid being overheard, he speaks. I could try, Brother, but I don't know if my ability is good enough to fine tune myself in such a manner. However, I did overhear something you might want to know about the Father himself. He relates the story


Patrice:

The unremarkable madam grumpily insinuates herself within earshot of the priests.

I don't think you should let this ruin your weekend, Father... Renaldo weedles.

No, Renaldo, don't worry about me. I think I'd better retire to my appartment before my reputation can be damaged any further than it already is, Noailles replies.

You're going to leave me down here with Louis?

A challenge would do you well, I think. His tone grows dark. Besides, you know the Crown has been after me. I have scarcely been able to send a messenger as of late, and my demons are running out of tricks. No, I can't risk further attention to myself.

What do you mean to do couped upstairs all night? And what of tomorow?

I'll entertain myself somehow, I suspect. I'll pray, reflect, read... Perhaps I'll write in my diary. Do not try to persuade me further, please. Good night, Renaldo.

The young priest nods. Good night, Father.

The older priest walks out of the room, while the younger casts a glance around the hall. Frowning, he walks off toward the disguised Patrice. As Renaldo walks past, the two bump into each other (Renaldo distracted, Patrice purposely not looking), and he stops. He looks at the lady, as if trying to recall her name, then his expression grows confused.

I beg your pardon,Madam he politely says, then walks on by.


You might want to find Father de Noialles and scan his mind about this. I can take whatever information you retrieve and leverage that into a better disguise.

Toliudar
2008-03-11, 08:27 AM
Guillaume

Guillaume nods.

Well done, Brother.

So, even the Father grows suspicious of Louis. I'll try to get close enough, although I'm not sure I can penetrate the wall to do so unobserved. And even then, it's likely that his mental defenses will be strong.

Interesting that de Noailles keeps rooms here on what sounded like a permanent basis. Perhaps he is good friends with the host.

Failing that, Renaldo may be a more suitable target for my attention. In the meantime, do you have plans? Perhaps you could assume yet another form, and keep an eye on our inquisitive brother, once he finishes his prayers?

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-11, 08:48 AM
Riq:

Very well. No... the Gentlemen stops to think. Pistols at dawn. I hope this lady's "honor" is worth it, whelp.

If Riq protests, he'll call him a coward etc. and insists upon pistols at dawn. You can refuse outright, if you wish, either way, he then...
He leaves in a huff.

You didn't have to do that, Riq, Elaina says. But oooooooh that man! He makes me so angry.

The_Werebear
2008-03-11, 12:39 PM
Patrice

I'll do just that. The priest focuses a bit, then assumes the form he did earlier, and adopts a sulk in the general area. If he comes out, I'll trail him.

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-11, 12:45 PM
Riq Kelborn

"Oh don't worry, I told you I wouldn't kill him. I'll delope. It's an insult, true, but one he can't really help but answer in kind."

Taking Elaina by the arm, Riq gently steers her out into the Rose Garden.

"Now, it may not be my place to ask, but what is your history with that man?"

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-11, 02:46 PM
Patrice, Guillaume:

Just as Patrice takes his alternate form, Renaldo enters the coridor.

Oh, hello again Madame. Brother Guillaume. I'm looking for Louis- you'll recall speaking with him earlier at the table. Someone said he came this way; have you seen him?

Then, after the response:

I can't help but think we've met before Madame. There is something so familiar about you. Have you been in Prevance?

The long-haired priest looks quizically at the disguised Patrice.

Riq:

Not much to speak of, if truth be told, Elaina says. He is one of my many suitors. My uncle Leon was keen on pairing us, but as you can see he is a most unbecoming gentlemen and does not agree with me at all. Most of my suitors have been this way, only interested in my fortune and not at all in me... or else too interested if you catch my meaning. It is rather a bore, and I do get lonely.

The_Werebear
2008-03-11, 05:12 PM
Patrice

Oh, no sir. Actually shocked that someone is questioning someone with so bad an attitude, that surprise colors the false madam's voice. I am from the South, Marseilles actually... Just visiting my brother, though he and the person who he got to escort me to seem to have run off.

Uh oh.

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-11, 07:22 PM
Riq Kelborn

"Lady, you are too proud! It is not you that the Earl disagrees with, it is life. He is a disagreeable 'gentleman', bound by personality to disagree with everyone. It has absolutely nothing to do with you. Honestly, only in France is it believed that a gentleman's every thought and deed is motivated by a woman!"

With a fond smile to Elaina, the product of hours spent in front of mirrors and lakes, Riq procures a wine goblet from a passing servant and offers another to the Lady. Taking a sip, he sits on a bench before continuing,

"Still, despite your pride, it is unfair that you must be lonely. If you would be willing, I'd like to try to alleviate some of your loneliness. I myself lead a lonely life, a stranger in a strange land. I can think of no better way to feel at home than the company of a beautiful woman.

I won't even ask for your name, I don't wish to come as a suitor eager for your wealth, nor a lecher eager for your innocence. I would come merely as a man eager to serve a Lady."

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-12, 09:11 AM
Patrice:

Renaldo seems to accept this. Ah, well, you are a friend of Brother Guillarme's then? Perhaps we've met at a church function?

Riq:

I suppose that will have to be good enough. Elaina sighs and looks up at the sky. She takes a quiet moment, then seems to come back to earth. Are you not frightened that Bouchard will shoot you? He is a rather good aim.

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-12, 10:29 AM
Riq Kelborn

"Not especially, no. I have the first shot. As the issuer of the challenge, it is my right to establish the duel is merely to first blood. Once he is hit, the duel is over.

I have no desire to leave Earth, and less to leave it on account of such a bore."

Somewhat sheepishly, Riq continues,

Still, your focus on the present forces me to ask a rather embarrassing favor of your fortune or your Uncle.

As you know, I came to France in a bit of a hurry. In the rush, I was forced to leave most of my belongings behind. Regrettably, amongst those belongings were my dueling pistols.


Sense Motive [roll0]
Diplomacy [roll1]

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-12, 10:45 AM
Riq:
Is that true? I am under the impression that you can't delope if you fire first, and you can't broadcast your intention to delope until the other shoots. However, to request a second shot after your opponent delopes is considered bad form. Maybe Riq is used to a different set of rules?

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-12, 11:45 AM
Not a clue. I'll edit my post to put it in line with your rules. I'm no expert on dueling rules, not much call for them IRL obviously.

Still, I assume he won't be allowed armor or be allowed to dodge since that would be bad form? I can most likely make a 10 to hit first.

I was correct that I get first shot, and that's that if I hit, right?

The_Werebear
2008-03-12, 12:27 PM
Patrice

Treading for water in the coversation, Patrice siezes the first piece of driftwood he sees. I am a friend of Brother Guillaume, and a cousin to Brother Patrice, who he came with. He's wandered off now, and I can't seem to find where he went. Louis is in the chapel, I went to ask him if he had happened to see Brother Patrice. Mentally fortifying himself but trying to give no outward sign, the disguised priest turns up his charm to ten. Do you mind if I go with you for a bit? Brother Guillaume has business to attend to, and I don't wish to wander this party alone any further than I already have.


Oh God. This can't end well. But there really aren't any other options.
[roll0]

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-12, 12:58 PM
Patrice:
Can you also make a disguise check? I'd say the difficulty modifier is +0, given that you're impersonated a made up person (which is easy) but of the opposite gender (which is hard).

The_Werebear
2008-03-12, 01:27 PM
Patrice

[roll0]
Rolling at +5, +3 for my charisma and +2 for bluff synergy while acting

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-12, 03:20 PM
Riq:

Elaina looks vaguely amused.

Where am I going to get you a pistol before sunrise? I can't very well send a demon to my Uncle, asking for a firearm can I? I don't that will matter though. Bouchard has a set that he brings to such confrontations. Her face grows more serious. I also wouldn't count on his honor or his reputation when it comes to saving your own life. I would feel simply horrid if you got hurt on my account, Sir Riq.

Patrice, Guillaume:

Ah, yes... of course. I couldn't deny a, uh.. lady's wishes. , Renaldo is noticably uncomfortable. I do see the resemblance between you and Patrice, though, now that you mention it. That must be what it was. Come, let us look for Louis. Good evening, Brother he nods curtly to Guillaume.

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-13, 09:18 AM
Riq Kelborn

"There are worse things to get injured over than a woman's honor, and no better. Besides, as I have said, I will shoot first. I will be fine."

Taking the Lady's hand, Riq continues,

Tell me now, you don't live with your uncle? Who is your guardian?"

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-13, 09:32 AM
Elaina laughs.

Actually, I am here by myself- well, Anabelle and I are. My uncle believes that my cousin Fritz is here with me, but Fritz doesn't even know we were invited. The duke was kind enough to give us an appartment up stairs- I suppose techinically it is he that is my 'gaurdian,' but frankly I don't think I need one. Let this by our secret, please?

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-13, 02:18 PM
Riq Kelborn

"Ah! At last, we are going somewhere with this. The game is fun, but with a duel at dawn and an impatient Minister I need results."

Pricking his ears at the word 'invited', Riq inquires aloud,

"Invited? What for? You've been here for some time, as your relationship with our friend the Earl shows. What brings you to France? And from where have you come?"

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-13, 02:29 PM
What? No, you misunderstand. I am French- My uncle is friends with the Duke, and I am staying with him while my uncle tends to business abroad. My cousin is actually here for university, and he sometimes shares my appartment because we are close to Paris. Meanwhile, poor Fritz has no idea there is a party tonight because Anabelle snatched up the invitation before he could see it. I love him, but he is overprotective of me sometimes.

Unfortunately, the side effect is that I have to deal with oafs like Buchard.

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-14, 04:13 PM
Riq Kelborn

"Well Lady, while Fritz's absence leaves you open to oaf's such as Buchard and I, you will forgive for feeling too much sympathy for your cousin. Indeed, I find myself rather glad he was unable to attend."

OOC: Sorry about my delayed response. Work can be cruel.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-17, 09:07 AM
Elaina looks into Riq's eyes, searchingly.

And why, exactly, is that, Monsieur Kellborne?

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-17, 09:55 AM
Riq Kelborn

"The reason is simple and, admittedly, selfish. Were Cousin Fritz here, I would not have had the opportunity to chastise Monsieur Le Earl twice, and thus, would not have had the chance to meet your rather charming self."


Bluff [roll0]

For what tis worth, he's being mostly serious here, if less pure in motive than she might wish.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-17, 10:14 AM
She smirks.

Then what else is on your mind Monsieur? Something other than me, I am sure, because here you are, the famous Rose Knight, and yet you still haven't tried to kiss me, even when the opportunity presents itself...

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-17, 10:32 AM
Riq Kelborn

"Generally a woman unwilling to reveal her name isn't particularly interested in more amorous pursuits. Still, I apologize for my rudeness and shall attempt to make amends."

Riq willingly obliges the lady.

OOC: Oi. I didn't realize she/the culture was quite so forward. I suppose I should've made more sense motive checks along the way.

Here's hoping Annabelle doesn't wander along.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-17, 11:15 AM
Speak of the devil, because...

Just as Riq leans in, but before he can plant one, Anabelle walks out into the garden.

Oh! There you two are! I've been looking all over for you... Bouchard has said that he will have your head, Monsieur Kellborne.

She says this pointedly, giving a nasty glance to Elaina.

The_Werebear
2008-03-17, 05:34 PM
Patrice

Meanwhile, as opposed to the nearly kissing couple on the other side of the party, the priest disguised as a madam is enjoying himself considerably less. Patrice trying to stay both close and far away from Renaldo. One stray touch, and I am damned. But too far away, the whole disguise falls apart from acting out of character. Curses.

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-17, 10:11 PM
Riq Kelborn

I swear, that witch cursed me! Ever since arriving in France, nothing seems to go right. Though, I must say, two beautiful women desiring me is hardly a bad thing. Just have to keep my options open.

Leaning back from the as-yet-unnamed Elaina, Kelborn smiles at Annabelle--completely ignoring the potentially awkward situation he's in.

"Well m'dear, the oaf says lots of things. However, I don't think even he's good enough to separate my head from my shoulders with a pistol ball. I have a rather wide neck you see, and the ball is oh so mall.

Riq holds his thumb and finger close together as he says this, creating a space far smaller than an actual pistol ball.

"Still, they say men are drawn to weapons that suit them. Bouchard has his. I myself prefer the sword.

Tell me Annabelle, were you able to find a dashing young squire while I attempted to dodge the oaf? When you did not appear, we assumed you had found a gallant soldier or some such thing."

Diplomacy [roll0]
Bluff [roll1]

Let's see if even the Rose Knight can handle such a situation...

Altharis
2008-03-18, 05:05 AM
Jacques LeBlanc

Seeing the young servant stealthily trailing after him and the Capitaine, Jaqcues whirls around and starts to speak: "I'm very sorry Thomas, but I am afraid that I shall have to demand that we speak in the utmost privacy. If duty to your master holds you back, then you are best served standing guard outside. If you are concerned of your master's safety, then you need not worry, for I doubt that even with a hundred strong and noble men I could never slay your master due to his virtue of expert swordsmanship."

After having said so he attempts to lead the Capitaine to the nearest safe-seeming place, a small chapel perhaps...? :smallwink: ((OOC:Yes, that very same chapel.))

If he sees either Guillaume, Patrice, or Riq, and they do not appear particularly busy, he will attempt to convey a hidden message to them via innuendo.

Bluff roll for innuendo- 1d20+8
Hidden message: "Could you keep watch on that small chapel there?"
EDIT: Damn! I'll roll again when I feel like I'm not double-posting.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-18, 08:34 AM
Riq:

Anabelle curtseys. Be that as it may, you certainly have seemed to offended... which in my book at least is a huge credit to your favor. That man deserves whatever he gets! And, unfortunately, no... I met no brave soldier in the ballroom, none but you Monsieur. Elaina, do you not think it time we rejoin the circus? she gestures back to the ball. Then, a look of annoyance, at herself, comes to her face. Oh! You did not want Monsieur Knight to know you are Elaina DeChamps! I am so sorry...

Don't worry about that, my dear, Elaina sighs. It was just a fancy, a passing one, no doubt. It had to end eventually.
She picks herself up and nods to Riq.


You are coming? she asks.

Jacques:

Oh, don't worry about Thomas. He is loyal to me even beyond death, and attends to me always. I should think it would be of no concern, no problem. Having said this, he accompanies you to the chappel, where Guillaume, a long haired priest, and a somewhat overweight woman stand awkwardly before the doors.

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-18, 08:50 AM
Riq Kelborn

"How could I do anything else, Elaina? What could be more delightful than an evening with the two loveliest ladies in France?"

Riq rises and returns to the party with Annabelle and Elaina.

Sense Motive on Annabelle-ie, can I stay on her good side?
[roll0]

Toliudar
2008-03-18, 09:20 AM
Guillaume

Guillaume waves to the new Patrice as s/he is escorted off by Renaldo.

All of this changing of men's and ladies' roles and robes. It's like a Fat Tuesday theatrical back at the monastery. Now, how to find de Noailles' chambers?

palming a gold coin from his purse, Guillaume sets down his goblet and heads in the general direction as the private chambers. He seeks out a servant who is not currently engaged with another guest, and smiles blandly at the man. Or woman, although I'm assuming that most of the servers are men. Preferably a young one. Initially, his voice is strong and slurred as he approaches the boy.

Young man, young man! This wine, it is too strong for a simple monastic brother! Is there somewhere I may lie down for a few moments to recompose myself?

Guillaume's voice is soft as he blocks with his body the motion of pressing the coin into the man's hand.

Tell me where the rooms belonging to Father Jean Paul de Noailles may be found.

Here goes! Sorry for my absence.

Since Guillaume will just wait until he spots a young servant loitering for a moment, I'm hoping we can dispense with the spot checks. And here's a diplomacy check to guage the success of persuading the boy: [roll0].

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-18, 09:52 AM
Riq:

Anabelle does, indeed seem fond of the Rose Knight, and perhaps jealous of her mistress. The three of you walk back into the ballroom, Elaina not without a hint of regret. She seems almost deflated, but is trying not to let it show. By the time you get back in, she seems quite herself again, the old self that you saw back in her appartment.

Inside it is warm, and the snow melts off your shoes as you approach the dance floor.

Guillaume:

As he leaves Patrice and Renaldo behind, the priest passes Jacques and a young captain, likely St. Pierre. A boy is in toe, trying to stay out of the way.

It doesn't take long to find a likely-looking servant. When pressed, he tries his best to answer.

The priest, sir? Uh, I believe upstairs and through the gallery, he says.

Toliudar
2008-03-18, 11:11 AM
Guillaume

Staying close and quiet, Guillaume presses for details.

Yes, excellent, and which room? Which room, boy? You can hardly expect a man of god to go bedchamber to bedchamber during a party.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-18, 12:18 PM
I... don't really know, sir. I'm not an upstairs servent. He seems to think for a moment. But my friend Arnold mentioned there's a cross on his door. Does that help?

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-18, 03:16 PM
Riq Kelborn

"Well, Annabelle, since you were unable to find yourself a dashing young soldier, would you be willing to share a dance with me?"

As he asks, Riq offers Elaina a placating look, hoping she understands he's simply trying to help keep peace in her household, as well as avoiding showing any undue interest.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-18, 03:32 PM
I'd be honored, sir Riq, that is, if my mistress bades it?

Elaina nods. Go ahead, Anabelle. You deserve to have some fun.

As the two of you spin onto the dance floor Elaina is approached by a tall gentlemen. They seem to know eachother, because her face lights up in recognition. The next time you turn around, she and he have taken up on the dance floor themselves.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-18, 03:52 PM
I'd be honored, sir Riq, that is, if my mistress bades it?

Elaina nods. Go ahead, Anabelle. You deserve to have some fun.

As the two of you spin onto the dance floor Elaina is approached by a tall gentlemen. They seem to know eachother, because her face lights up in recognition. The next time you turn around, she and he have taken up on the dance floor themselves.

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-18, 04:14 PM
Riq Kelborn

Observing Elaina dancing with the unnamed gentleman, Riq grins.

A challenger? This could get even more interesting. It is always enjoyable to humiliate the fools who believe themselves greater loves than the Rose Knight.

Returning his attention to Annabelle, Riq smiles a rakish, nearly wolfish, grin.

"Look dear, your mistress has found some gallant. It's a pity he doesn't appear to be a particularly graceful dancer. Certainly they don't have our chemistry."

With that, he begins to lead her in a slightly scandalous, and certainly provocative, dance.

Oi. Shoulda put ranks into Perform (Dance) [roll0]

Toliudar
2008-03-18, 11:45 PM
Guillaume

The priest slides another gold coin out of his purse and into the young man's hand.

Good man. Smart. Share with Arnold, if you wish.

With a final glance at the boy, Guillaume nods, leans heavily on his cane for a moment, and heads off upstairs. He turns briefly at the top, feigning being winded and dizzy, in order to see if anyone seems to be observing him.

Altharis
2008-03-19, 03:28 AM
Jacques Leblanc

"That is good to hear, as I would hate for my words to leak into unwanted ears. Not to compromise the integrity of your servant of course, but I'm sure you have had bad experiences with spies during your many campaigns. I wish only to avoid that trouble."

Striding around the dancefloor with a determined air, Jacques, seeing Riq engaged in dancing sensually with a lady, take it into his hands to repay the Rose Knight for all the scrapes he has thrown him into in their wandering on Paris's drity streets. He attempts to communicate a simple message to him via simple gestures.

Roll for Innuendo- [roll0]
Message: "Guard that chapel for me please."

After having said so, Jacques walks powerfully towards the chapel door, and shows the good Capitaine inside.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-19, 10:33 AM
Riq:

Oh, my monsieur! The Rose Knight and his new dance partner deftly manuever across the dance floor. Anabelle does nothing to disuade him from his extravagancies.

You notice your mate Jacques walking toward a side room of some sort. He seems to be attempting to convey a message to you, perhaps he's expecting trouble and wants a look out or guard.

Guillaume:

At the top of the stairs there is a hallway that stretches in two directions, to the east and west wings. The east obviously leads to some appartments, and the west leads through a small art gallery where relics from ancient Greece and Rome are on display, as well as a few more contemporary pieces including portraits of the Duke and his ancestors. The sounds of the party grow quieter as you move through the gallery, and, on the other side, an archway leads to more appartments. It is peaceful here, unlike the appartments on the east wing where young men and women seem to have taken the party upstairs with them.

One door is marked with a crucifix, the lord Jesus Christ's head hanging low wreathed in a crown of thorns.

Jacques:

You'll have no worries there, sir. Thomas is the best servant I've ever had. He follows you boldly into away from the dance floor, where you run into a strange duo, a young priest and an older woman. The chappel waits before you.

Patrice:

As the younger priest heads toward the chappel and your compatriot takes his leave, Jacques appears in the hallway with the captain and his servant boy in trail.

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-19, 10:53 AM
Riq Kelborn

"Of course you show yourself now Jacques, and with a favour no less? Very well, I shall do what I can."

Riq continues to dance, but keeps an eye out for anybody else heading into the chapel. He's also hoping to take notice of Elaina, to see how she and this new gentleman are getting on.

Annabelle, you're as graceful as you are beautiful. I refuse to believe you don't have your own pick of beaus."


Dance [roll0]
Sense Motive (Elaina) [roll1]

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-21, 08:37 AM
You flatter me M. Kellborne, but you are wrong. Men of quality are so rare, I seldom see one that is not laughed away by Elaina. Her situation attracts the wrong sort- do you know what I mean?

She smiles as the two dance.

But not you. You're... the right sort.

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-22, 09:37 AM
Riq Kelborn

"What situation do you speak of, Annabelle?"

Toliudar
2008-03-22, 05:20 PM
Guillaume

Seeing no reason to rush his second conversation with the older priest, Guillaume takes a moment first to admire the work in the gallery. Not only to compose himself for the conversation ahead, but also to ensure that no one is coming behind him.

After a few minutes, he continues on, and spots the door with the crucifix. Carefully, before knocking, he places his ear near the door, trying to block out the noise from behind him.

Listen [roll0]

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-24, 08:58 AM
Riq:

Oh, I always forget that you don't know my lady. Anabelle details everything you already knew about DeChamps, her orphaned status, her large inheritence, the suitors, her Prussian family. So you can see why she is suspicious of men.

Guillaume:


There is somebody in the room, you can hear them moving as well as issuing an occasional grunt or sigh. The sound of a drawer opening and closing... the faint clack of metal scraping metal.

The image of Christ our Lord stares down at you watchfully, sorrowfully.

Toliudar
2008-03-24, 11:04 AM
Guillaume

Guillaume steps quietly back down the hallway some twenty or thirty feet, and looks about to ensure he is not observed. He clutches both hands around the head of his cane in fervent prayer.

Lord, please forgive this invasion into the mind of another of your servants. I pray, fervently pray, that it reveals that this is NOT the man we seek, and we may clear his good name with the Minister, and in the eyes of the Church.

As quietly as he can manage, Guillaume casts his enchantment, and quietly returns to the wall just short of door, hoping to gain entrance to the old man's thoughts.

Taking 10 for move silently, for, ah...a 9. Sigh.

Using Divine Power and a turn attempt to try to increase his effective caster level on this spell. He's already got CL 4 on this thanks to the Knowledge domain. Turn check [roll0] I'm away from my CDiv, but I think that gives me a +1 caster level.

He's moving to 5' back from the door and trying to sense how many minds there are in the room, just to start with. Staying about 5' back from the door and leaning back against the wall, as if in turmoil - or nausea. And focusing his detection through the wall.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-24, 11:36 AM
Guillaume:

You work your enchantment and immediately detect the presence of an intelligence inside the room. Of course, you already knew there would be. Moments later, your magic narrows the sensation and you can discern that there is exactly one intelligence in the room.

Toliudar
2008-03-24, 11:56 AM
Guillaume

Gently resting the tip of his cane back down on the floor, for his own assurance as much as for appearances, Guillaume presses further, trying to delve at least the surface thoughts of that mind.

It's a Will save DC 15 to resist.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-25, 08:50 AM
Guillaume:

Noailles' surface thoughts:
...but will this come back to huant me, one way or the other? Only time will tell. [nervousness] Close- lock- nobody must find this- Father, what will you do with this sinner? Why did you create Man doomed?

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-25, 10:51 PM
Riq Kelborn

Feigning shock, the Rose Knight inquires, "Indeed, I can see why she must remain wary of suitors. Particularly given her heritage and the current...ahhhh...troubles....that face our great nathion."

As the dance comes to an end after Annabelle's explanation, Riq begs his leave, "Now my dear, we should return to your mistress. We don't want her getting jealous. Strife within the household is something to avoided at all costs, even our own enjoyment."

Pausing, Riq adds,

"Or at least, my enjoyment. I suppose it was presumptuous of me to assume you enjoyed dancing with such a graceless buffoon."

Bluff [roll0]

Toliudar
2008-03-26, 01:35 AM
Guillaume

Guillaume risks another minute or so "listening" and focusing on Noailles' thoughts. He prepares to knock at the door if there is any sense from the Father's that the older priest is planning to depart (without losing the precious focus required by the spell.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-26, 08:56 AM
Riq:


"Indeed, I can see why she must remain wary of suitors. Particularly given her heritage and the current...ahhhh...troubles....that face our great nation."

I don't see why- it hasn't seemed to bother any of the greedy b- gentlemen that call on m'lady.


As the dance comes to an end after Annabelle's explanation, Riq begs his leave, "Now my dear, we should return to your mistress. We don't want her getting jealous. Strife within the household is something to avoided at all costs, even our own enjoyment."

Pausing, Riq adds,

"Or at least, my enjoyment. I suppose it was presumptuous of me to assume you enjoyed dancing with such a graceless buffoon."

Oh, not at all M. Riq, the pleasure was all mine. Of course, you are right. It would not be proper in the least to allow m'lady to grow jealous of you and I.

The two walk across the ballroom and find Elaina and her dance partner paused by the edge of the dance floor, talking.

Oh, Riq, you must meet Otto. Otto, this is Riq Kellborne, the Rose Knight. He has been very kind to me this evening, even if he did end up challenging Bouchard to a duel.

The tall, dark man puts out a hand to shake Riq's. Good evening Sir Kellborne. I am ever at your service. The lady DeChamps is a very close friend to me, and a cousin, so any friend of hers is a friend of mine.

Guillaume:

For the next minute or so, you detect the thoughts of a man in prayer, albeit a sometimes distressed prayer.

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-26, 11:28 AM
Riq Kelborn

"I shall endeavor to prove myself worth of your friendship, Sir Otto."

Turning and slightly bowing towards Elaina,

"And yours too Lady. Tell me Otto, how has the evening treated you? Hopefully less exciting that mine, duels can be such a strain on ones social schedule and really, getting up so early is hardly appropriate for men of our station."

Knowledge (Nobility & Royalty) to recognize Otto. [roll0]

If I succeed and he has a different form of address, assume that I used that instead of merely 'Sir Otto'

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-27, 08:46 AM
I should say not, sir. I have only just arrived and all I've done is talk to a couple fat heads and dance with my lovely cousin.

Elaina blushes at this.

No duels for this fellow- not my style at all. I practically faint if I see blood, even on a fox hunt. I shudder to think at being stabbed or shot. It seems a crude practice.

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-27, 09:13 AM
Riq Kelborn

"It seems you've had a fine evening, sir. A dance with Elaina is certainly enough to make up for dealing with a couple of 'fat heads.'

As for duels, you are absolutely correct. They are crude. Unfortunately however, there are men who only respond to such crude levels of conversation. Normally, it is not worthwhile to stoop to the same...but when it is defending the honour of a Lady, we have no choice.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-27, 09:58 AM
Riq:

Elaina smiles, amused. Oh, Riq, you are such a romantic! Didn't I tell you, Otto?

Otto smiles, slightly less amused. Quite...

You are a charming and lovely man. She curtsees. Otto and I are going to take tea upstairs. I hope you don't mind keeping Anabelle company?
Guillaume:

After he prays, you get the sense that Father Noailles is considering going to sleep, but also considering going back downstairs. You hear him headed toward the bedroom door.

Patrice, Jacques:

I take it you're waiting for me then?

The young priest opens the chapel door, revealing Louis inside. It is obvious from his posture that he was listening at the door.

Louis! What were you doing? Renaldo asks

I was merely examining the molding on the chapel door. It is in need of repair, he replies.

The_Werebear
2008-03-27, 11:49 AM
Patrice

But this is such a lovely house. I can't think why the owners would let it fall into disrepair so quickly. A slightly disapproving frown crosses the disguise's face.

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-27, 01:49 PM
Riq Kelborn

Riq smiles in reply, "Not in the slightest."

Extending his hand to Annabelle, "Another dance, dear?"

I'm assuming she says yes, and we dance dashingly. If she says no, disregard the next half of this post.

Taking the maid out on the floor, Riq twirls her 'round as he begins his investigation,

"Tell me Annabelle, you and Elaina truly face no distrust or prejudice on account of Prussian ancestry? Have you cut off contact with your relations? Or do the men foolishly doubt women's abilities to understand politics? Either way, you are truly blessed in this. My heritage has brought me no end of misfortune since the outbreak of hostilities."

Toliudar
2008-03-29, 09:40 AM
Guillaume

Maintaining his focus on the spell, and the focus of the spell on de Noailles, Guillaume takes a deep breath, and knocks on the priest's door.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-31, 09:52 AM
Jacques, Patrice:

Louis attempts a smile. Quite. But who are all these people? he asks Renaldo, gesturing toward Patrice, Jacques, St. Pierre, and his boy Thomas.

Renaldo seems about to introduce Patrice, but stops. I'm sorry Madame, but I have already forgotten your name...

Riq:

Well, Anabelle seems to consider this for a moment. Nothing serious. A while back some gentleman came calling, but he was not all he appeared. He claimed to be from the south, but actuality he was a Parisian. I know because Elaina's cousin Otto recognized him. He turned out to be a spy from the Ministry of War and left our house most ashamed. We presume he was spying on the DeChamps because they have Prussian family, but it cannot be proven. Beyond that, it has not been much of an issue. Most people do not see my lady in blue, white and red, but in gold. She smiles. You, being an honest-to-God Englishman must get it far worse!

Guilaume:

You sense a trill of fear that is almost instantly mastered. There is a brief pause, and then the door is opened. Noailles looks composed, but he is surprised to see you.

Brother Guillaume... how may I help you? He is standing in the doorway and does not invite you in. He is a bit nervous.

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-31, 12:16 PM
Riq Kelborn

Riq laughs in response, "I perhaps exaggerated the difficulties I face. It is true that my accent and, more often even--my nose, give away my heritage, but I receive trouble only from drunkards and fools. More intelligent and well bred individuals realize that I have no love for my native land, and less for politics and intrigue. I'm a fine young dandy in the eyes of the court--an amusing change of pace from the usual, perhaps--but no spy."

As the dance ends Riq leads the Lady to his natural habitat--the Rose Garden.

"But enough of this talk, I am a fool to talk of such things in the company of such a beautiful and virtuous woman! Come, let us speak of more important things. You, for example."

The Rose Knight sits her down on a bench and kisses Annabelle's hand, Now, close your eyes and wait here. I shall return soon with a surprise."

Leaving her behind, and getting well out of earshot Riq summons the Imp whispering,

"Lemac, lemac, lemac"

When the Imp makes itself known he carries on, "Lemac, I've just met this charming creature! Elaina DeChamps, a positively delightful Lady. However, her cousin...Otto somebody, doesn't seem to like me very much. I don't suppose you could let me know anything you're aware of concerning him? Or, possibly, look into him for me? He apparently has something to do with the Ministry of War, and I don't especially want them interested in me with my English blood. You understand, I'm sure."

Diplomacy [roll0]
Bluff [roll1]

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-31, 12:22 PM
Lemac considers this.

He is the cousin, yes. Lemac not know much... He is a smart one. Methinks he wants to marry her. Not much else... not much else...

Lepre_Khan
2008-03-31, 01:11 PM
Riq Kelborn

"Not much else? Not much else?", mimics the Rose Knight.

"Not much at all, rather. Look, find out what you can. I have to go."

At this, Kelborn leaves Lemac and returns to Annabelle--armed with a red rose from his bag, and two goblets of the finest wine at the party. Riq approaches Annabelle stealthily, and places the goblets on the bench next to her. He then kisses her eyelids, and kneels with the rose extended to her.

"I trust you weren't growing too impatient, Lady?"

Toliudar
2008-03-31, 03:22 PM
Guillaume

The young priest smiles wanly. He pretends to not notice Nailles' nervousness.

Father, I felt that Brother Patrice and I were inconsiderate in putting you on the spot in the garden. I have come to apologize. May I come in?

Altharis
2008-04-01, 01:57 AM
Jacques Leblanc

Shocked at the sudden appearance of all these people, and quickly reevaluating the circumstances, Jacques hurriedly says: "Greetings Fathers, and to you too Madame. I am Jacques Leblanc, court duelist to the Duc de Provence, and these are my newfound friends: The illustrious Capitaine Alton St. Pierre, and his loyal servant, Thomas. We sought only the peace of this chapel to retire from the bustle of the crowd, but if you kind sirs and madam are using the space, then by all means do so, and we shall find another sanctuary of peace."

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-01, 10:40 AM
Riq:

Before you leave, Lemac speaks darkly: I have been ordered by a higher authority than you not to leave this place. I can discover nothing for you.

Undaunted, you continue on to Anabelle, kissing her lightly.

M. Kellborne! I must, admit I was, but I see now it was worth the wait. It is chilly out here, though... she moves closer to him.

Guillaume:

Certainly... he moves asside allowing you to enter. His hand moves up to his collar and he seems to straighten something. You sense through your magic that he is concerned that the chain around his neck may be visible, though it is not.

Jacques, Patrice:

This is no problem, Renaldo says. I was merely looking for my colleague and I have found him. Do not let us delay you.

As the young priest steps asside, St. Pierre asks So what is this all about sir?

Lepre_Khan
2008-04-02, 09:18 AM
Riq Kelborn


Taking her hand the Rose Knight gallantly responds, "So it is! Drink the wine, my dear, it will fend off some of the chill. I would gladly do more to ward off the chill were I able, but you're mistress shall return soon and I should try to stay on her good side. How else would I be able to continue seeing you?"

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-02, 10:20 AM
Riq:

Oh, Riq... I don't know what to say... this is so sudden; we have only just met!

The_Werebear
2008-04-02, 10:48 AM
Patrice

So, where are we going to go now? Patrice tries batting his eyes to see if that produces the required reaction. Curse this indirect form!

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-02, 11:08 AM
Renaldo blinks. We, uh... we are... Louis?

The ugly priest shrugs. Well, you are madame's chaperon; you may as well show her a good time. A dance is the least you owe one another, I should think.

The long haired priest turns a shade of seasick. Well... how about it madame? Care for a dance?

Lepre_Khan
2008-04-02, 12:17 PM
Riq Kelborn

Pressing her hand Riq continues, "Well then, don't say anything! Simply savor the moment! Savor the sweet night air and the gentle light of celestial bodies. Savor the rich earth and the beautiful gardens. Savor the music that delights the ears and the wine that delights the tongue. Savor all these things madame, but most of all savor the company of a stricken and loving gentleman eager only to serve."

BLuff [roll0]

Reminder: I'm off to the real Paris tomorrow to meet a lovely young woman (though I'll be less rakish and use less corny lines) so I'm leaving Riq as an NPC to ya Juris.

Toliudar
2008-04-02, 12:49 PM
Guillaume

Well, if he thinks the chain might be visible, I might as well act as if it is.

Leaning a bit on his cane as he steps in, Guillaume initially turns away from Noailles, as if gathering his thoughts, but really casing the room. He turns, his brow furrowed.

Father, I wish to apologize. It was both presumptuous and...oh!

He focuses on the priest's neckline.

That's a lovely chain. I had an uncle who traded in jewelry, and I spent several happy afternoons in his shop, learning the - may I have a closer look?

Rolls, use as needed:
Spot - checking out the room [roll0]
Bluff - for the jewelry [roll1]
Sense Motive, to follow his reactions [roll2]

The_Werebear
2008-04-02, 01:03 PM
Patrice

Uhh... The shock is visible, even through the disguise. The priest can't even begin to hide it. In short order, the false madame looks equally queasy, for different reasons. I can't dance! And I can't touch him, the disguise isn't tactile! And he's going to pull something! Spirits above and below! For the first time in probably years, Patrice has utterly lost his collection.

When he finally gathers enough to speak, the voice is rather weak and stammering. He lets the subtle magic of Naberius make his words sound better, but Patrice is still shaken to the point of detriment. I...uh...I really am not good at it... Could we just..talk? Or sit. Yes, I'm feeling really rather faint and I shouldn't dance. I always enjoyed hearing cousin Patrice and Brother Guillaume debate, and I am sure you both would rather talk than do some silly dance. Don't mind me. I'll just um.. Listen. Because Religious debates are much better entertainment than dances.

Using Naberius's take 10 on Diplomacy, but giving myself a -2 penalty for being shaken. So, total of 17 to try an persuade them to just talk and let me listen rather than dancing. Which would be bad.

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-02, 01:07 PM
Lepre Khan:
Have fun in Paris and thanks for being such a great player. I'll keep Riq warm for you for your return!

Guillaume:

As you look around the room, you notice nothing out of the ordinary. It is the austerely decorated room of a man of god.

When you call attention to the chain, you notice Father Noialles face flush, and he reaches to hide it again.

Surface thoughts:
I thought it was hidden [a key on a chain- the diary in the drawer] It IS hidden. How did he know? This man is a spy. You feel his anger, and then his mind closes and you sense nothing.

What is this all about sir? Who sent you here?

OOC:
Bad bluff check vs. a great sense motive. Gave him another saving throw vs. your effect, which he cleanly passed.

Patrice:

Both the priests seem very confused and a tad uncomfortable now, and not a little concerned. A touch of relief also creeps over Renaldo's face.

Well then... I shouldn't make you dance against your wishes. I think it would be-

He is cut off by Louis.

Patrice and Guillaume? Are you here with them? he asks.

The_Werebear
2008-04-02, 01:33 PM
Patrice

Why.. Yes. Patrice is my Cousin. I came from Marseilles with him. He tilts his head to the side, feigning curiosity and worry. Is there a problem? In his head, the priest is back in control from the terror of having to dance. However, a new feeling of dread is crawling up his spine, and he moves to cover his tracks. They were so quiet on the way up here. They weren't at all like normal. I heard them talking about having to confess something, but they stopped talking about it when they saw me listening. It was quite strange, normally they are both such cheerful people.