PDA

View Full Version : Titan Slayer - PrC [PEACH]

Caracol
2008-02-04, 01:56 PM
Work in progress, give me advices!!!
Version 2.0

Titan Slayer -
(Name changed due to extremely lameness of the original one)

"Nothing is so fearful with a knife stabbed in his eye..." - Pak, kobold Titan Slayer

Size matters, but not in the way that they say sometimes.
The Titan Slayer specializes in killing stuff that is bigger than him. While other adventurers fear the encounter with giant beasts or enormous predators, the Titan Slayer grins at this: it's the time they've been expecting.
The Titan Slayers are experts in grapples and daredevils manouvers. While this seem the most insane thing to do when facing an opponent four times your size, the Titan Slayers compensate their minor strenght and reach actually staying the most close they can get to them. Climbing on their bodies, they escape their opponent attacks and aim for the weaker parts of their enemy. They learn to ignore the shake offs of their enemies, and to weaken their natural defenses. While they seem mindless and crazy to the majority of other adventurers, they actually develop tactics and often rely on the surprise effect.
Titan Slayer is a good option for a lot of classes. Fighters can rely on their combat disposition, Monks on their natural grappling capabilities, while Rogues can use their sneak attacks during their actions and Rangers can boost their effectiveness against larger favored enemies.
Hit Dice: d10

Restrictions
To become a Titan Slayer a character must meet the following requisitions:
Size: Small or Medium.
BAB: +5.
Balance: 4 ranks.
Climb: 6 ranks.
Feats: Close-Quarter Fighting, Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple.
Special: The character must have been reduced to 0 hp or less by an opponent at least a Size category larger than him.

Class Skills
Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope.
Skill points per level: 6+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Clever Wrestling, The bigger they are...
2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Hide and Seek, Riding the Giant
3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Pain in the butt
4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Aim for the spot, Bonus Feat
5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Skin Carver
6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|Cripple
7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2|Beating the Giant, Bonus Feat
8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2|Bitter Pill
9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3|Protection from friendly fire
10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3|Slaying the Giant

[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and armor proficiency: A Titan Slayer gains the proficiency in all martial weapons. He is also proficient in light and medium armor. He doesn't gain any proficiency in shields.

All the following abilities (except the Bonus feats) can be used only against an opponent that his at least one Size category larger for Medium character, and two Size category larger for a Small character.

Clever Wrestling: At 1st level, a Titan Slayer gains the Clever Wrestling Feat (Complete Warrior).

The bigger they are...: At 1st level, a Titan Slayer gets a bonus to the AC, attack bonus and damage dealt if he fights against foes larger than him. Being specialized in larger opponents, he has penalities to the same stats when facing smaller ones.

Medium size Titan Slayer
{table="head"]Size Category|AC bonus|Attack - damage bonus

Fine|-5|-5
Diminutive|-3|-3
Tiny|-2|-2
Small|-1|-1
Medium|-|-
Large|+1|1+1
Huge|+2|+2
Gargantuan|+3|+3
Colossal|+5|+5

[/table]

Small size Titan Slayer
{table="head"]Size Category|AC bonus|Attack - damage bonus

Fine|-3|-3
Diminutive|-2|-2
Tiny|-1|-1
Small|-|-
Medium|-|-
Large|+2|+2
Huge|+3|+3
Gargantuan|+5|+5
Colossal|+8|+8

[/table]

Hide and Seek: At 2nd level, a Titan Slayer can move through an area occupied by an opponent at least two size larger without provoking an attack of opportunity. Also, performing an Hide check, he can hide between the opponets legs or other part of his opponent that could grant a cover, adding his Titan Slayer level to the Hide check. If he succeeds, he gains a free attack. If he fails and it's been spotted, he provokes and attack of opportunity.

Riding the Giant: At 2nd level, a Titan Slayer can use his Climb skill, adding his Titan Slayer level to the roll, to litterally climb over an opponent. He must succeed a Grapple check first, the bonus deriving from the The bigger they are... ability stacks. Climbing an opponenty is usually an action with 20 as a DC, but other conditions apply (smooth skin, horns or other appendixs useful to grapple). A Titan Slayer can avoid to be shaken off or catched using his Balance or Ride check. He can deal damage with his weapon while performing Riding the Giant, but has to have is off-hand free to keep the grapple.

Pain in the butt: At 3rd level, when wielding a light piercing weapon, a Titan Slayer can stay attached to his opponents by shoving it deep into their flesh. He must succeed a Grapple check first, followed by a successful attack, the attack bonus deriving from the The bigger they are... ability stacks. After this, he has a +4 bonus to Balance, Climb and Ride checks, and deals the weapon damage (Str modifier does not apply) during all the turns that he remains attached. He can wield the weapon with his off hand to perform this. This ability can be used together with Riding the Giant.

Aim for the spot: At 4th level a Titan Slayer becomes a master in detecting weaknesses in their opponent. After studying an opponent for a round, their weapon critical range increases by 2.

Bonus Feat: At 4th and at 7th level a Titan Slayer gains a bonus feat. He can choose it among the Fighter bonus feats list.

Skin Carver: A Titan Slayer knows how to cut through the flesh of their enemies. If a Titan Slayer has met before a particular monster or opponent during a previous fight, this monster natural armor and non-magical damage reductions, if any, are reduced by an amonut equal to his Titan Slayer levels.

Cripple: At 6th level, during a Riding the Giant, a Titan Slayer can perform an aimed shot for the limbs with a full round action. If this aimed shot succedes, his opponent suffers from a -4 penality to attack rolls and damage rolls (Fortitude negates, DC 10+Str modifier and levels of the Titan Slayer) until the combat lasts or the opponent is healed by an Heal check DC (10+Str modifier and levels of the Titan Slayer). If the opponents has natural healing, he heals this condition in a number of turn equal to half of the Big Guys Slayer levels.

Beating the Giant: At 7th level a Titan Slayer can stand on the body of an opponent and damaging him hard. If a successfull Riding the Giant attempt is made, he can stand on his enemy and attack him with two weapons or a two handed weapon. He can't perform this together with Pain in the Butt ability, but gain a +4 bonus to the damage rolls and a -5 penality to Balance checks.

Bitter Pill: If an opponent tries to swallow the Titan Slayer, he can make a Reflexes saving throw (with a bonus equal to his bonus against opponent of that size category) to avoid being swallowed and gaining a free attack that ignores natural armor and damage resistance. If the attack succedes, the opponent spits the Titan Slayer out at the following turn.

Protection from friendly fire: At 9th level, a Titan Slayer develops tactics that allow him not to be affected to ranged or magical area attacks if these are delivered to an opponent he's riding. He gains total cover against ranged weapon and area or ranged spells directed to his opponent.

Slaying the Giant: At 10th level, during a Riding the Giant, a Titan Slayer can deliver a finishing blow that can devastate his opponent. With a full round action, if he succedes and attack, he can istantly kill or incapacitate (at his choice) an opponent (Fortitude negates CD 20+Titan Slayer Str modifier.) This abilities does not work against constructs, undead or other creatures immune to death effects.

Please comment and give me advices and opinion, and help me to came up with the right rules for the abilty, since they are sure buggy right now.

Caracol
2008-02-05, 07:54 AM
Added the abilities descriptions, now I need advices!
The abilities mechanics, their progression, other ideas I could add.... Please give me feedback.

Caracol
2008-02-06, 06:56 AM
No comments, anyone?

Caracol
2008-02-07, 06:19 AM
Come on guys, I really have to know if it's too buggy, too powerful or too lame. Don't delude me!!!

smart thog
2008-02-07, 06:41 PM
actually, a bit of both. The name is lame, but the rules need tweaking. Like, why can a human use these class features on a ogre, while a gnome cannot use them on a human? The size differences are more or less the same.

Also, stop quadruple posting.

Caracol
2008-02-07, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the reply.
I know the name is lame but I can't think of something else. Do you have any idea?
Of course rules need to be refined, that's why I'm posting it here. Where do you think that they should be changed?
The reason for the limitation for Small sizes is that the races players usually play are Medium or Small. But Small sized adventurers meet Medium sized foes too often, and this could give them too much occasions for use this class specialization.

Sorry for the quadruple posting. I don't want this to pass unnoticed without no reply, but I realize that's stupid and I promise I'll never do it again.

GoC
2008-02-07, 10:00 PM
I don't really like the flavor. D&D already has penelties to AC and attack because of size so why make them bigger?

On to the mechanics:
Hide and Seek should only work if the opponent is at least two sizes larger. I think he'll also need a hide check at + BGS level to avoid being spotted and AoEed.
Riding the Giant: Which bonus from The Bigger They Are... stacks?
Skin Carver should reduce natural armor and dex by an amount equal to the BGS's level instead of halving. I don't think your intention was to let them gain a massive andantage against deities, right?
Cripple should only work when he's Riding the Giant It should also be solvable by a heal or regenerate (regenerate grows back limbs so why not ligaments?).

I also think that most of these abilities should depend on the giant's Dex. If it's just as agile (proportionaly) as a human then hiding behind it's feet should be impossible (for instance).

Overlord
2008-02-07, 11:51 PM
I haven't looked at the class for balance yet, but I agree that you probably should change the flavor. Change it to what, you ask? Well, I think the class features are pretty well suited to this:

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles/a/6/2/9/4/8/a_med_graphically.jpg

A Wander class would be awesome.

Caracol
2008-02-08, 05:39 AM
Thanks to everybody for the suggestions.

I don't really like the flavor. D&D already has penelties to AC and attack because of size so why make them bigger?
Since bigger foes usually have a lot of AC, you're never sure you will it them, and a PrC class that specializes against bigger opponents, they should have more chances to hit.

On to the mechanics:
Hide and Seek should only work if the opponent is at least two sizes larger. I think he'll also need a hide check at + BGS level to avoid being spotted and AoEed.
Makes sense, I'll edit.
And I'll make every ability works only on opponents two Sizes larger.

Riding the Giant: Which bonus from The Bigger They Are... stacks?
The one on the attack bonus.

Skin Carver should reduce natural armor and dex by an amount equal to the BGS's level instead of halving. I don't think your intention was to let them gain a massive andantage against deities, right?
Waaay better, I'll edit.

Cripple should only work when he's Riding the Giant It should also be solvable by a heal or regenerate (regenerate grows back limbs so why not ligaments?).
Fixing.

I also think that most of these abilities should depend on the giant's Dex. If it's just as agile (proportionaly) as a human then hiding behind it's feet should be impossible (for instance).
That's right, but giant foes are usually weak on Dex. And spotting someone that is hiding under you is more a matter of senses.

I haven't looked at the class for balance yet, but I agree that you probably should change the flavor. Change it to what, you ask? Well, I think the class features are pretty well suited to this:
A Wander class would be awesome.

Believe it or not, that what I had in mind. I never played SotC, but slaying gigantic stuff has always attracted me.
I don't understand when you say I should change the flavor. How exactly?
And, the class name is really lame and I need suggestions. I'm italian and I have some problem with thinking of cool names that works in english.
Help anyone?

Roderick_BR
2008-02-08, 10:44 AM
Sounds interesting. For the name, you could call it Giant Hunter, or something.
The Complete Warrior has a similar class called Gnome Giant Slayer, that basically grants a character a special favored enemy against giants, and some abilities to stay out of their reach. Yours seems more offensive and tries to stay close to the target.
There's a tactical feat on PHB2 for fighting larger creatures too, you should check it out and see how it affects your PrC.