PDA

View Full Version : Eberron: Entrance to Adventure [IC]



Pages : [1] 2

maktul
2008-02-04, 08:02 PM
As you enter the Gray Tankard you look around. The room is brightly lit, and about half full, mainly with shoppers who decided to pause in their search for good deals. After a moment you spy the uniform of a Brelish Naval officer, sitting at a table towards the middle of the room.

The officer is a half-elf with sandy blonde hair and green eyes. He seems to be enjoying his lunch and is sitting facing the doorway. He smiles when he sees you, and motions you over. "Please, have a seat. I trust it wasn't too hard to find this place?"

The table is fairly large and has chairs for six other people.


[OOC: If you'd describe yourselves as you enter so that everyone can be introduced if characters don't know each other (I know 2 do but no one said anything about knowing each other). The Commadore will take care of introductions if characters don't want to introduce themselves.]

Karaswanton
2008-02-04, 08:56 PM
Michael

The lightly equipped warforged enters the tavern after tying up his mount outside. He looks serious; the tavern is no place of recreation for him. But then, recreation is for fools and layabouts--he is a Paladin and a monk besides. Michael appears out of place in this type of environment, but is self-assured enough not to seem awkward. His eyes gleam green in the smoke of the tavern.

I wouldn't say I had a difficult time, no. Although I must admit I'm not exactly familiar with this type of..establishment. I understand you have some business to discuss?

DiscipleofBob
2008-02-04, 10:32 PM
The warforged with no name

Noname has been waiting in the bar since it first opened. With nothing better to do and no reason to be elsewhere, Noname was waiting outside the tavern doors when it opened ((unless it was a 24-hour tavern or something, in which case he'd just stay inside.)) At the table, he prefers to stand unless directly ordered to sit, and so looks more like an intimidating statue, though one far more valuable than anything found in the tavern.

Noname is a massive hulk of a warforged, the sheen of his black, adamantine armor making him quite menacing, especially next to the comparatively lightly equipped warforged also sitting at the table. He wears a few decorations from his former soldier life in Cyre, no actual medals, just a few pieces of his uniform, anything he could conveniently tack on. Around his neck is a small steel plate with an inscription in common saying "Hello, my name is NONAME." His old master Belaean decided to give it to Noname and told him to wear it when he was meeting new people or starting a new job, mostly to make things easier for others. Plus he had gotten a good laugh out of it. Noname wasn't sure why.

"The establishment took approximately four hours to find on foot." Noname answers in a simple, almost monotone voice. It was sort of an act; though he would never admit it. Simply another measure to attempt to kill the anathema in his programming which might lead to defects such as "personality" or "individuality."

EDIT: ((Ah, Dark slate gray was taken...))

an kobold
2008-02-05, 12:12 AM
Conrad

A young man with orange hair steps into the bar. Trying to look as unimposing as someone walking around in armor with a well-maintained halberd can, he nods at the half-elf nonchalantly and tentatively looks over the two war-forged already present, unsure of what to make of them. For a moment, uncertainty appears in his green eyes before stepping forward to introduce himself.

It really wasn't that hard to find the place. You can call me Conrad. I'm guessing you're Commadore Tiach.

Upon sitting, he sets his weapon down gingerly, leaning it against his chair, and subtly touches both holy icons on his person in reverence, first the Octogram of the Sovereign Host around his neck, then the symbol of Dol Arrah on his belt. Closer observation reveals a few small nicks on his face, the act of hurriedly trimming a beard clearly being the culprit.

The_Snark
2008-02-05, 05:05 AM
Jinna

The young woman who slides into a seat at the elf's table, entering nearly on the heels of the red-bearded man, is an odd contrast with the others. Rather than armor, she's dressed in a white-and-tan linen dress, practical enough and easy to travel in but hardly something made for combat, and she isn't carrying a weapon; at least, nothing is visible. She has wavy blond hair falling just below her shoulders, and blue eyes set in an attractive face.

It is not, though, a particularly open face at the moment. She sits away from the armored man and the two warforged, eyeing all four of those at the table warily—particularly the warforged. At least they have muscle, but the fact that they think they need it is what's worrying me. "So. Commodore Tiach, is it?" She rests her right hand on the table, drumming her fingers on it as she studies him for a few moments. "Care to explain a bit more about why you called us?"

estradling
2008-02-05, 11:09 AM
Cymran
A young human enters the Gray Tankard inn. He scans the crowd with his green eyes. Seeing the groups table he moves forward, his chainshirt making as faint clinking sound a buckler and morningstar bounce against it. The sound and sight not quiet muffled by his cloak.

With a nod, he sits without introduction or preamble.

cintain
2008-02-05, 06:53 PM
Limna

A small, half-elven woman slips into the tavern, almost unnoticed. Her features are soft and beautiful, with an innocent air. The fact that she wears a tatter of layer upon layer of old clothes doesn't distract you from her huge, beautiful grey-blue eyes and long black hair.

She approaches the table wide-eyed and sits next to the other woman, scuttling over so she is almost behid her. Almost, but not quite. She stares openly at the two Warforged across the Table with a glitter in her eye.

she says nothing.

maktul
2008-02-06, 12:08 AM
The half-elf smiles, picking up a napkin off his lap he wipes his mouth, as he looks at each of you. "To answer your questions, yes, I am Commodore Tiach ir'Rothos. As to your second question", he nods to Jinna, "I'll get to the explanations in just a moment, if you would oblige me."

Commodore ir'Rothos leans back in his chair, "I do hope you'll forgive me if I stretch your patience a moment. I must admit, there are times I enjoy hearing my own voice and it can cause me to be quite loquacious." He smiles, obviously enjoying himself. "I believe some introductions are in order, as while I know each of you, at least by reputation, I am not sure who amongst yourselves knows each other. So to start off, our hulking warforged friend standing here," the commodore grins, "is named Noname, as is obvious by the sign around his neck."

"Here," he motions towards Michael, "another warforged, obviously of a religious bent, is Michael. Next to him, the young man, also of a religious mind, though in another direction, is Conrad." He nods to both of you in turn before continuing.

"The two exquisite ladies on the other side of the table," the Commodore leans forward, bowing in his seat, "are Jinna and Limna. Last, but most assuredly not least, is Cymran, a singularly talented individual."

Leaning back in his chair he chuckles, "I did warn you that I might talk at length, and I haven't even gotten to the reasons of our visit here. So if any of you would like to order something for lunch, please do, don't mind interrupting me, the cost will be picked up by the navy. I believe their lunch today consists of sausage, Deep Dwarven Blue cheese, lentils, and peaches for dessert. It is quite good."

He waves over a tavern wench for those who wish to order something, before continuing. "There is a small band of pirates operating in the hilt. They are harassing and hindering the normal shipping business of Sharn. They do not attempt to stop any ship with an obvious escort, unfortunately the navy cannot provide escorts for every ship that is coming to or leaving Sharn. This is why I am attempting to recruit you people of varying talents. We would like to see the pirates activities halted. If you can find their base of operations, and convince them that they are not wanted, you would be rewarded well." He grins, his eyes sparkling, "So, what questions would you like to ask me about this errand? Anything other than your fee or reward. I'd like to answer those last if I could."

[OOC: everyone please make a sense motive check for me when/if you want to respond here. even if it's only to post the sense motive check. Also those that have it can make a knowledge:nobility and royalty or knowledge:local.]

Karaswanton
2008-02-06, 09:03 AM
Michael:
Sense Motive: [roll0]

estradling
2008-02-06, 09:21 AM
Cymran

The young man orders lunch while thinking over the offer. "Besides the no attacking ships with escorts, is there any kind of pattern to the pirate's attacks? Some kind of cargo or personal they seem to hit more often then not? Also what do they leave behind?" Given they they had reports of the attack Cymran thought it save to assume the ships where not sunk.


Sense Motive [roll0]

DiscipleofBob
2008-02-06, 12:47 PM
Noname

"Affirmative! I will track down the enemy pirates and terminate them with extreme lethal force as swiftly as possible!" Noname's enthusiasm was obvious. He was already hyped up and ready for the mission, if a fight were to break out right then and there, he might end up killing a few in his excitement.

((I choose to fail my Sense Motive check, A) because I probably would anyway, and B) because it's really Noname's nature to accept dangerous missions with enthusiasm without thinking it through.))

an kobold
2008-02-06, 04:35 PM
Conrad

The red-haired man gives his order to the wench and is otherwise silent, giving a surprised glance in the direction of the black war-forged when it replies to Tiach.

[roll0]

cintain
2008-02-06, 05:06 PM
Limna

Limna orders lunch, asking for a double helping of the cheese, all wrapped up to go.

She looks at the Warforged called Noname with awe, then at Michael. If any of them look over at her when she is introduced, she smiles.

Limna then leans over to Jinna and whispers something in her ear.

Jinna and DM only
Limna is saying hello and asking Jinna what she thinks about the Commodore guy, trying to be as quiet as possible [roll0]


Sense Motive
[roll1]

The_Snark
2008-02-06, 05:51 PM
Jinna

Jinna looks at Limna with a touch of surprise in her eyes as she enters, as if not expecting to find her here, but she gives her a friendly nod as she sits down. Never one to turn down something free, she orders the lunch with a shrug, also wrapped up, before returning to considering the commodore's offer.

She murmurs something back to Limna in a tone too low for anyone else to pick out the words, still studying the commodore guardedly.

"Hard to say; he looks like a fop, but I'm not so sure. What I want to know is why he called us in."

Sense Motive [roll0]
Knowledge (local) [roll1]

Karaswanton
2008-02-06, 09:01 PM
Limna

Limna orders lunch, asking for a double helping of the cheese, all wrapped up to go.

She looks at the Warforged called Noname with awe, then at Michael. If any of them look over at her when she is introduced, she smiles.

Limna then leans over to Jinna and whispers something in her ear.



Michael gives everyone a polite nod as they are introduced.

maktul
2008-02-06, 10:14 PM
Commodore Tiach looks up, startled a moment at Noname's vehemence, then laughs. "There is a little more to it than that good warforged," he says, "but I and Breland appreciate your enthusiasm." Looking to Cymran he replies, "We have not been able to determine any pattern to their attacks. They seem to hit merchants carrying cargo, but passenger ships have also been attacked. We haven't been able to find out where they operate from either."


Cymran and Limna

The Commodore is telling the truth but he's leaving something out.


Jinna

The Commodores family, the ir'Rothos, are long time supporters of King Boranel. The Commodore himself has kept out of the news for the most part, but he received several promotions toward the end of the last war.

estradling
2008-02-07, 10:59 AM
Cymran

Their was something else going on here, he wasn't sure what it was though.

"Given the importance of stopping the pirates. I have a few questions... First why did you chose us? Clearly you know us as individuals, but just a clearly most of us have not worked together before, so that makes us an unknown quality. But you have chosen us anyway, over more official and organized groups. Which leads to the next question, is this an official and authorized assignment? Or more of a private one that would only be recognized, if at all, once it is successful?"

Cymran didn't mind either way, but it would change how he would expect things to go if they got into trouble.

cintain
2008-02-07, 06:34 PM
Limna

Limna whispers something else into Jinna's ear.

Jinnna
The priest is right! He is keeping something from us, I am sure of it.

Limna then watches the half-elf wide-eyed as Cymran speaks, paying attention to his body language and awaiting his response.

[roll0]

Karaswanton
2008-02-07, 06:41 PM
Michael

I was wondering that myself. I don't have problem working non-official parties as long as the mission is legal, but I don't't work with criminals. Judging by the type of mission, that won't be a problem, will it?

Sense Motive: [roll0]

I don't actually expect this guy to have criminal connections, but Michael would ask, being a paladin (and a bit paranoid.)

an kobold
2008-02-08, 01:28 AM
Conrad

A look of concern with a slight tinge of unease crosses the cleric's face as he listens to the discussion and leans closer in to the table.

I'm not much concerned about the legality of what you want us to do, but, is, um, extreme lethal force the only way you want us to handle the situation? And what of the people on board the attacked vessels, how are they treated by the pirates?

The_Snark
2008-02-08, 02:00 AM
Jinna

Jinna murmurs a reply to the half-elf woman in a low tone before speaking up.

"He is. But don't worry too much about it," she says in a confident whisper. "I'll handle him."

"Legal, yes," she answers Michael's question, "I'd bet it is." She tilts her head at the commodore. "Maybe not officially sanctioned, or you'd be using your own men to do it, wouldn't you?" A hint of a smile plays over her face as she leans back, waiting for him to answer the others' questions.

maktul
2008-02-08, 10:17 PM
The Commodore smiles, "You are known to me individually through some contacts of mine. For one reason or another, you are of interest to Breland. I would think that each of you would know why. For the second question, it is an authorized mission. You are correct in thinking that it might not be an official mission, but while I would prefer it to remain unofficial if you fail, it would only hurt my pride and some of my standing if it became public. I would not begrudge the issue however, and would back you up if it public channels were to learn of the failure."

Tiach looks next at Michael, answering questions in turn, "Jinna is correct. The mission is legal, you would be hunting down pirates operating illegally in Brelish waters. And you would have the blessing of Brelands Navy, especially if you succeed."

"Lethal force is not necessary Conrad", Tiach replies, "but you might find it prudent. From reports of the crews and passengers, the pirates seem to be from the Lhazaar Principalities, but we can't be sure. The pirates are more interested in cargo rather than personal belongings, but there have been some items that were more expensive than others taken. The passengers and crew have been left unmolested for the most part, and once the pirates are done searching the ships and have finished unloading what they want, they are allowed to continue on their way."

Chuckling somewhat softly he answeres Jinna, "The Navy views this as it normally does. Send out ships to find, follow, and destroy the pirates. The only issue I have with it is the length of time it'll take. During which, the pirates will continue to raid until they are found. If this route solves the issue sooner and with less manpower, it will look like the Navy is doing it's job, Sharn will be a slightly more popular destination of choice for merchants (not that it isn't already, but publicity rarely hurts), and I'll look good for it."

cintain
2008-02-08, 11:46 PM
Limna

What I want to know, says Limna, her voice broken by an inaudible gulp, is what exactly has prompted you to look for a quick, discreet way to put a stop to this. I somehow find it hard to believe that you just want to use us because you'll look good. What's your interest in this? What do you stand to gain? What did the pirates take from you?

Limna looks around, flushing slightly. She sinks just slightly further behind Jinna, but holds the Commodore's eyes with a piercing look the whole time.

DiscipleofBob
2008-02-09, 11:04 PM
Noname

"DON'T WORRY, COMMODORE! I WILL NOT REST UNTIL ALL OF THE PIRATES ARE EXTERMINATED!" With that, Noname practically ran out of the door paying little heed to what was in his way. Not less than a minute later, he sheepishly walked back in the door. "Um... which dock are we supposed to go again?"

Karaswanton
2008-02-09, 11:25 PM
Michael

*Sigh*
Well, I was hoping for a bit of company on this assignment, but it looks like this one is a bit of a meathead. Oh well, it looks like he is more or less good-natured. But still, I wish some of us didn't fulfill stereotypes this well, it only strengthens flawed perceptions of us as a people..which might be part of why the Thrannish government still sees us as property.

Say..you said you might be able to get some good publicity with this mission. I wouldn't turn down some good publicity myself. After all, if Noname and I are successful at this we might be seen as heroes--that extends to the rest of us as well I suppose. While glory should never be the main reason for a righteous undertaking, it can have its uses.

*with that Michael re-postures himself in his seat to look at the Commodore more directly*
For instance, the Thrannish government seems to think my people are property, and not a true race of thinking beings, despite all evidence to the contrary and contradicting Church doctrine. Perhaps the exploits of a few brave warforged could change there minds..if reports were used properly.

Of course, I'll take care of your pirates either way, it's the right thing to do, but I'd appreciate any help I can get on the issue. I'm still haven't been to the Holy Land because I'm sure someone will try to claim they own me.

With the last few words, his eyes briefly gleam with a righteous wrath.

The_Snark
2008-02-09, 11:45 PM
Jinna

Jinna eyes the warforged strangely as it comes back in. Crazy thing. Are we going to have to be holding it back from charging in at the pirates the whole time? Will it even let us hold it back? She's a little more confident about the other warforged, but its suggestion is not much more palatable to her than charging right at the pirates.

"For me, you can hold the glory," she says dryly. "I'd prefer not to be a household name, thanks." Not that I think this guy really intends to share around more of the credit than he needs to. She eyes him with interest as he seems to think on how to answer Limna's pointed questions.

an kobold
2008-02-10, 06:05 PM
Conrad

Conrad bows his head slightly as Michael mentions Thrane, making eye contact with no one.
Well one thing's for sure, this Commodore ir'Rothos sure has a funny sense of humor. I sure hope that Noname was merely exercising his sense of humor. . .
He turns slightly towards the religious war-forged, studying him while waiting for the half-elf's reply to Limna.

estradling
2008-02-10, 07:00 PM
Cymran

Seeing that one of the ladies asked the question he was going to he simply nods and smile.

When Jinna talks about not becoming a household name his grin widens, "Indeed... I'd also prefer to stay more behind the curtains myself. Known only to those that need to know."

maktul
2008-02-12, 01:16 AM
The Commodore glances at Limna, looking truly surprised for just an instant before replying. "Your success will make me look good. In politics, looking good is a gain, it can bring you allies as well as make enemies reassess you. My interest is what your success will do for my career," He grins, "to a much lesser degree to my family, much to their chagrin."

After Noname returns to the tavern the Commodore straightens in his chair, "Noname," he barks, his voice commanding, "you will refrain from breaking ranks again unless given permission to. Also, for the duration of this mission, you are to choose one of these people seated at this table to be your commanding officer. I will not have this mission compromised due to your lack of information." He smiles, his voice softening slightly, "You may not like what it's been decided you are, but the fact is you are more than just a warmachine. That is why I requested your presence on this mission."

"Now, back to the questions," Tiach smiles, much more relaxed again, "where were we? Ah yes, Michaels question as to the Thrannish issue. I don't see why not, I obviously disagree with their doctrine," he chuckles, "not that I'm a terribly religious man, the Sovereign Host forgive me. I'm sure we could come up with something regarding your success that might be slipped into the Chronicle."

"As for those who do not want to be named, I'm sure any reports can be found lacking names and descriptions." The Commodore leans forward in his seat, "Any other questions before we get to the matter of monetary compensation?"

The_Snark
2008-02-12, 01:41 AM
Jinna

"Nope. I warn you, though, I like to stay away from the more violent kind of customer around here. You're going to need to pay a fair bit to convince me to get anywhere near pirates." She studies him across the table; noble and military officer he might be, but that didn't mean he could haggle.

Karaswanton
2008-02-12, 09:27 AM
Michael

Excellent. The warforged of Thrane thank you Commodore. Incidentally, I have military experience, perhaps I would make a suitable commanding officer for Noname. I'm ready to move along as well.

EDIT: Michael took the "warmachine" comment to mean that it refers to Noname's personality, not the warforged as a whole, which is why he didn't take offense. The guy outright said he thinks warforged are people, and Mike will take him at his word..despite his somewhat intolerant language.:smalltongue:

estradling
2008-02-12, 11:33 AM
Cymran

Malphas... should have bound Malphas. Still its unlikely we will get very far in the search today, so tomorrow should be soon enough. the young man thought to himself while waiting for the discussion of payment to begin.

DiscipleofBob
2008-02-12, 11:36 AM
Noname

The momentary look on Noname's face (for those who could actually recognize such expressions on a warforged) was one of pain, embarrassment, and disbelief, which quickly hardened into its military stare. Noname, shocked at his apparent deviance (he had no idea he was standing in ranks and was standing at parade rest all this time), quickly straightened up where he was, gave a Cyran salute (the only one he knew), and shouted out at the top of whatever he had that resembled lungs. "SIR, YES SIR!" If he hadn't disturbed the bar yet, he had now, and now to top it off he was standing perfectly still where he had been when Commodore Tiach reprimanded him, which was blocking the entrance to the bar. The latter comments about him being more than a warmachine must have been blocked out from the severity of the first couple. As for the commanding officer, Noname didn't say anything, but ever since his old commanding officer, Belaean, Noname was not permitted to so hastily take a new commanding officer. He would at least have to see his new comrades in action and determine himself which one was of natural leadership quality. Not that he had is own opinion or free will or anything like that, but a war machine should be able to judge the competence of a person as leader. It's a natural function programmed in. Yes, that was it.

an kobold
2008-02-12, 12:11 PM
Conrad

No other questions here.

After saying this, Conrad leans back in his chair, thinking to himself.

cintain
2008-02-12, 07:36 PM
Limna

Limna looks at the Commodore without flinching as he answers her question, noting the look of surprise on his face, then shrinking back a bit as he regains his composure.

..."warmachine"...?Limna gasps as she listens to the Commodore bark an order at the warforged.

I... want something extra as well. Something to make this worth my while, as it were... Since... since you seem to know so much about us, I want identification papers that will allow me to cross the Breland border without trouble. The real thing, not forgeries. I promise not to use them until our mission is accomplished... and I guess that means I'm accepting your offer, as it were, provided the price is right.

Limna's eyes dart to Jinna and, when they cross glances, she smiles briefly as if seeking her approval.

Karaswanton
2008-02-12, 09:07 PM
Michael

Say friend, why don't you come back in here. You don't make a very good door. Come on over and calm down a bit, then we can get to the good parts, about the objectives.


I am suddenly reminded of George and Lenny from Mice and Men. XD.

maktul
2008-02-13, 02:41 AM
"Very well, onto your price to attempt this mission for me." The Commodore smiles at Limna's request and the other comments. "Traveling papers can be arranged, and shown to you before you leave Sharn, however, if you don't intend to use them until after you finish the mission, whether successfully or not, you won't mind me holding onto them until your return."

Leaning back in his chair, he looks over each of you, slowly and one at a time. "I will pay you 400 gold apiece for the mission. 100 in advance, 300 upon your return, not dependent on success or failure."

The_Snark
2008-02-13, 05:19 AM
Jinna

Jinna snorts. "I thought you'd done your homework better than that, commodore. You know well enough this isn't my usual kind of work, or you should, so you also ought to know I don't come pre-equipped like some of these fellows." She waves a hand towards the armored men and warforged. "And if I'm going to be anywhere near a fight, I don't much fancy doing it in just a dress. With that kind of expense factored in, that pay barely breaks even for me, and I like to think I value my health a little more than breaking even. Maybe the boys work for charity, but I don't. Try higher."

Haggling time! Opposed Diplomacy, with a power point spent on Empathy to get a +2 bonus: [roll0] I'm not really sure how much the price would go up or down, so I guess I'll leave that for you to decide based on the results.

estradling
2008-02-13, 09:32 AM
Cymran

As Jinna took the lead in negoatations, Cymran verbally moved into support her, "There is also the matter of other expenses besides armor and weapons. We are going to need a ship or a boat. Given that we are going to be going after pirates, I can't imagine any sane captain doing that on the cheap. Plus we are going to need to gather intel and that means spreading gold around in unsavory areas."


Aid another Diplomacy
[roll0]

DiscipleofBob
2008-02-13, 12:32 PM
Must... not... break... rank... Noname was determined to fulfill his military training by whatever means necessary. The fact that he was taking orders from a Brelish military officer instead of a Cyran was sort of lost to him in the heat of the moment. Nontheless, he remained silent and still until otherwise ordered to move. You didn't just break rank when a drill sergeant called it just because a lower officer politely asked you to move. That was bad soldiermanship. Soldierman... yea, that's the right word.

maktul
2008-02-15, 10:56 AM
The Commodore grimaces before relaxing again. "So I started low, the purpose is to get you to tell me the amount that you think you should get for something such as this. Padding the amount for some bargaining, to arrive at a price, hopefully agreeable to both parties of course." He grins, "I did like your reasoning though, keep that up throughout the process and it'll be very enjoyable. As to a ship, I suppose what you tell the captain is up to you, and of course how you go about it once we have agreed upon your price is for you to decide. I just thought you might do something a little different."

He pauses thinking a moment, "Very well then, 700 gold pieces, 300 up front, 400 upon return."

cintain
2008-02-15, 08:44 PM
Limna

Limna glances sideways openly at Jinna as the Commodore speaks about money. 700 gold pieces is more money than she has ever seen in her whole life put together... and papers to go to Aundair! That alone is worth the price of admission to this ticket. Jinna can probably look after them both better now...

Limna looks over at the Warforged called Noname, still standing by the door. Waiting until the Commodore looks away from her, Limna slips away from the table and approaches the living construct with a fearful smile and eyes blazing with awe. I don't think I've ever seen one this big before...

Excuse me? Warforged? My name is Limna. Pardon my asking but I am very curious... why are you called Noname?

The_Snark
2008-02-15, 09:02 PM
Jinna

"Better—but make the total nine hundred apiece. You need this done before someone else gets annoyed enough with these pirates to take them out, after all—if you want to gain anything out of it." Jinna smiles winsomely. "I guarantee you that the pirates aren't making any friends among Sharn's... businessmen. Even if they're smart enough to try to avoid offending anyone, they can't still make a profit without eventually getting on someone's bad side. And that means we have to move quickly... and rush means risk, you know." She tilts her head sideways, still smiling. "But we'll be reasonable about it. We just need enough to cover expenses to begin with. Two-fifty up front, six-fifty when the job's done."

Karaswanton
2008-02-16, 12:24 PM
Michael
Thinking to himself:
Hm. The Commodre enjoys haggling. It appears this women finds it enjoyable as well. Really, I would have joined on for the initial offer, but I'll see how far up they can manage. I could always use the extra money for more food for Solomon* and perhaps having an extra spear wouldn't hurt. Or extra arrows. If the price gets too opulent for my tastes there's always orphanages or animal shelters that need donations. Probably the animal shelters..they always have kittens.**


*his Deinonychus mount
**Michael sometimes feels alienated by humanoids, but he has a soft spot for animals, who don't treat him any differently than anyone else. He is particularly fond of kittens, especially the ginger ones.

an kobold
2008-02-16, 01:26 PM
Conrad

Unsure of himself in the world of haggling for prices, Conrad avoids eye contact as he cautiously interjects himself into the the intricate dance between Jinna and the half-elf Commodore, crossing his fingers underneath the table and hoping that he is not committing some grievous faux pas.

While we are on the subject, I am willing to forfeit a bit of my payment for information if you have it when we get back, if that helps you make up your mind about the fee. . .Jinna, was it. . .is suggesting. Of course, if obtaining the information looks like it'll be more expensive than you wind up paying us, don't bother.

Pausing for a moment, the red head straightens himself up and looks directly at the Commodore

I hope I make myself clear that if you do look into my matter, whatever costs you might incur are my responsibility, and mine alone. No one else at this table should have what's rightfully theirs denied them on my behalf.

DiscipleofBob
2008-02-16, 03:09 PM
For the time being, Noname's about as animate and talkative as a statue, and the resemblance is uncanny. Still stuck in military mindset, he remained standing at attention even when Limna approaches him.

estradling
2008-02-16, 10:58 PM
Cymran

At Jinna's new counter offer, Cymran couldn't help but smile a bemused grin. She clearly knew what she wanted. He wouldn't have pushed any farther, but he wouldn't say no to an extra two hundred if she could get it

maktul
2008-02-18, 06:08 PM
"900 gold? hmmm" The Commodore pauses, thinking it over. "Very well then, I find the amount satisfactory."

Looking at Conrad he smiles, "Information has it's own price, dependent on what type of information it is and who wants it, and what they are willing to pay for it of course." He glances at Jinna, before pulling out a piece of paper and passing it to her. "A letter of credit, for the amount of 1500gp. As per our agreement."

Looking back to Conrad, "what sort of information do you want me to look into for you?"

estradling
2008-02-19, 11:22 AM
Cymran

The young man nods as an agreement is reached, "OK I see at least two things we need to do. Hit the streets for any and all information that doesn't travel through 'official' channels. And we need to acquire transport to get us where the pirates are. This are both in addition to any personal items we might want to get. Is there anything else?"

an kobold
2008-02-19, 08:16 PM
Conrad

Well, you clearly know a bit about us, so I wouldn't be surprised if you knew already. I was stationed with two units during the way. i would like to know what happened to the first one I was with, specifically, whether or not the healer survived the war. Like I said before, if it's too much trouble, do not bother.

At this the assertive position the young man had taken is relaxed.

The_Snark
2008-02-20, 12:25 AM
Jinna

Jinna takes the letter of mark with a practiced smile, eyes flicking downward inconspicuously while he's not looking just to check that it is signed and notarized for the proper amount; a reflex, that, both checking and hiding the fact that she was checking. People who thought you were suspicious of them became suspicious of you. So he doesn't trust us not to cut and run with the money, does he? A lot harder to cash in a letter of mark in a hurry than it is to take plain gold... might just be the nobility, though; they use paper money for everything. "Thank you, commodore. Before we go about our business, can you give us a list of the ships that have been attacked? A partial one, if you don't have the full one on you."

cintain
2008-02-22, 12:24 AM
Limna

Limna creeps back to her chair next to Jinna, glancing back at the Warforged still standing in front of the door. She sits and looks at the Commodore with suspicion.

DM
Rolling sense motive again to see if he's still being fishy...
[roll=Sense Motive]1d20+5[]

cintain
2008-02-22, 12:26 AM
Sorry, didn't get that quite right

[roll0]

estradling
2008-02-25, 10:13 AM
Cymran

Seeing the warforged standing like a statue, and idea struck Cymran and he couldn't completely hide the smile. "Unit designated Noname. Status report. How close are your to fulling your mission to choose a new commanding officer?"

Karaswanton
2008-02-25, 10:14 AM
Michael

I agree. That fee is more than adequate, but additional information on the pirates would be helpful. Where do they usually attack, and at what hours? Is there any discernible pattern at all? Are they a united band of criminals, or are they different groups of pirates?

DiscipleofBob
2008-02-25, 11:42 AM
"SIR! ACCORDING TO ORDERS FROM MY PREVIOUS COMMANDER, I AM UNABLE TO DESIGNATE A SUPERIOR OFFICER DURING ANY MISSION WITHOUT CAREFUL DELIBERATION AND MENTAL PROCESSES, SIR!" Again at the top of whatever warforged have that resemble lungs, again in pure military style, and yet again getting caught up in the heat of the moment, as he pretty much treated Cymran with the same respect he treated the Commodore despite his words. While Noname might take awhile to designate a true commanding officer, it was clear he was still easily manipulated with the right attitude.

Karaswanton
2008-02-26, 10:20 PM
Michael

Commodore, I think perhaps you should order him to come here and quiet down. I don't think he understands requests...he's more used to orders.

Michael didn't expect Doorforged to respond that loudly and is visibly startled.

maktul
2008-02-28, 10:27 AM
The Commodore nods to Jinna, "I can have a list sent to you if that would be sufficient. The latest ship attacked was owned by a merchant named Aelowim, who should still be in town. Beyond that I'll send you the list."

He stands as Michael asks his question, "Well, they primarily patrol the route between the ocean and the Hilt, beyond that, timing just seems to be when they come across merchant ships."

"I must be going now, if you have any other questions for me, leave them at a House Sivis message station and I will retrieve them or have them sent to me." He settles his cloak over his shoulders, in preparation of the drizzle outside and steps close to Noname.

"At ease Noname," he smiles, "as I've given you an order to choose your next commander I am not going to countermand that, however if you wouldn't mind my opinion, I would recommend following the orders of Jinna there, at least until you figure out who you are going to designate as your commander."

DiscipleofBob
2008-02-29, 03:07 PM
"SIR, YES, SIR!" Noname went to parade rest before marching over to the others. "Which way is it towards the dock where we'll find the merchant?" Much more relaxed now, at least compared to the way he was before, he could now ask the question he'd been holding in since he was told to stand at attention, namely which way to go.

The_Snark
2008-03-01, 03:36 AM
Jinna

Jinna nods to the commodore as he leaves, remaining seated. There was no better way of announcing business was completed than to all leave at once in different directions. If that thing hasn't already announced it, anyway. She eyes Noname as it comes back to the table, concealing her discomfort with it. Can that thing really think? It isn't acting as though it can. If this mission wasn't going to end in a fight, I'd probably try to lose it. Hopefully, it won't get us killed before then. She keeps her voice conversationally low; hard for anyone not at the table to hear, but not a whisper. "We're not going to the docks just yet. First things first—I've some things I'd like to purchase. Limna, you should probably get some armor or something to protect you too, if you don't already have it—we can handle that together. Then the lot of us are going to see what we can dig up about these pirates. The way I see it, either they have connections in Sharn, and we can sniff those out, or they don't, in which case there'll be plenty of other people annoyed at them."

"We'll need to keep it quiet, too." She glances at the warforged, to make sure it understood that meant no more shouting. "Last thing we want is word about what we're doing getting around."

cintain
2008-03-01, 11:34 AM
Limna

Limna nods, glancing around at the others.

Might I suggest that we talk a bit more about ourselves before we start moving around? The Commodore obviously knows each of us, but if we're going to be relying on each other, she looks up at the Warforged as she says this, we should know what we can expect. As you guys know, my name is Limna. I am a bit of a tinkerer and apprentice magewright. I have some experience working with Warforged, so that might be useful.

Limna looks around at each of the others as she says this, looking at their reactions. Might as well try to find out about who these people were beforehand.

I think that I might be able to dig up something about the pirates, too, if I ask around a bit. I also have some friends and can find my way around the town.

DiscipleofBob
2008-03-01, 12:42 PM
Noname was understandably confused. Why weren't they immediately headed down to the docks to begin their mission? Rather than ask directly, he pondered it over while listening to the others discuss strategy. Well, clearly the fleshies needed some supplies. Understandable, but he didn't need anything as far as he can tell. Well, if they were going to be boarding ships and such, maybe he could use some magical items, but anything he could immediately think of would be too expensive anyway. It'd be a waste for him to go shopping when he could be contacting the merchant or accomplishing something constructive.

There was something about gathering information on pirates? The way the changeling had described it, she'd be sneaking through slums and sweet-talking criminals. Clearly there must have been some sort of confusion. If this was supposed to be a mission of subterfuge and espionage, he wouldn't have been selected for this. His role was obviously one of brute force. He didn't necessarily need to go around shouting the mission out, no. But trying to blend in and hide as a giant war machine would be less than optimal.

Limna suggested introducing themselves and their respective talents. Why not? It made perfect sense to understand each other's abilities before going into battle. "I am a weapon, one of superior intelligence and refined skill." The answer was simple, to the point, and truthful. He couldn't imagine how he could be more clear. "I don't see how I could be of much use in the shopping market or gathering information from other sources. I am new to this city and am unsuited for dealing with social situations. I suggest that I head to the docks and speak to the merchant who will most likely be able to provide more information on the pirates' attack patterns and targets." Yes, he was advocating splitting up. They could work out a place to meet later, heck, they could do so at the docks.

Karaswanton
2008-03-01, 02:59 PM
Michael

I am called Michael, I am a servant of the Silver Flame and I trained in unarmed combat, although I've learned to use the longspear pretty well recently.

I think collecting intelligence would certainly be a good idea.
I'll follow-up on Noname's suggestion--I'm good with people, but I don't know if I'm quite as a subtle as you folk.

Noname, let me handle the talking. Play to your strengths.

estradling
2008-03-03, 10:56 AM
Cymran

His attempt to be named the Noname's commanding officer, thwarted, Cymran took it with good grace. He wasn't sure what he would do with him anyways, he just saw an opening and went for it.

When talking about himself he says, "I'm a bit more of a Jack of all Trades type, given time I can do most things pretty well."

DiscipleofBob
2008-03-03, 11:35 PM
(Don't worry Cymran, you still might win Noname's favor yet.)

Noname patiently waits for the briefing to end. Time was of the essence, or at least it probably was.

In the meantime though, Noname walks over to the thread and bumps it.

an kobold
2008-03-04, 12:03 AM
Conrad

Well, my name's Conrad. I follow Dol Arrah of the Sovereign Host and was a healer at the tail end of the War. Anyway, I'm not really sure how good I'd be at getting information about the pirates, and my presence might hinder anyone else's inquiries. I suppose I could check out any temples near the docks to see if they regularly get large groups of sailors seeking aid for their wounds. What do you all think about that?

The_Snark
2008-03-04, 02:33 AM
Jinna

"Jinna. Changeling," Jinna introduces herself, breezing over any further explanation. "All right, so it looks as though we have a plan. You fellows can head down to the docks, ask around about the pirates and talk to this Aelowim. Say you're thinking of taking passage to somewhere and want to avoid this sort of entanglement; don't tell too many people what we're really doing."

"Limna, do you need to buy anything? I'm planning on getting hold of some armor, at least. We can do that, and then poke around and see what we can find out," she offers, looking at Limna and then back to the others. "We can meet back here in, say, four hours?"

DiscipleofBob
2008-03-04, 01:13 PM
"Roger! Myself, Michael, and Conrad will head to the docks then." Noname gives another salute, still standing, and heads out the door, waiting for his two new comrades once he's outside. Clearly he was anxious to get moving, and it appeared that the initial briefing was over anyway.

an kobold
2008-03-04, 09:35 PM
Conrad

Conrad stands up, picking up his halberd from where he set it, and heads outside to where Michael is waiting.

See you in four hours, then.

cintain
2008-03-05, 06:11 PM
Limna

Limna does the closest thing a person of her build and demeanor can to snapping to attention as she hears Jinna speak her name. She tries to hide it by looking intently at the Noname and Conrad as they step out.

Yeah, I'll come with you to the market, she says. I am sure word must be out about these pirates, whoever they are. After that I need to make a stop... somehwere. I'll be ready and back here in four hours.

DM

Limna wants to stop by her place in the Lightning Rail shops to say goodbye to her friends there. We don't need to RP that unless you are going to drop some tidbits of game-relevant wisdom, and then maybe by PM. :smalltongue:

maktul
2008-03-05, 07:52 PM
As Noname and Conrad step outside (and Michael if he so wishes) their clothes and coverings are instantly drenched. The seemingly nice if drizzly rain has been turned into a downpour. Rivulets of water running off the roofs splash along walkways before draining over the side, through the banisters, out into the open air.

Karaswanton
2008-03-05, 09:33 PM
Michael

Let's hope the weather does not turn out to be prophetic for our expedition.

He then walks over to a tied up dinosaur near the area, and unties it. He then strokes the raptor's head and talks to it.

I hope I didn't keep you waiting too long Solomon. Come on, let's go to the docks.

With that he begins walking with the others, and leads Solomon.

The_Snark
2008-03-06, 05:16 AM
Jinna

"Right, then," Jinna says, rising smoothly from the table. "Let's go."

She pulls her cloak about herself and pulls the hood up as she steps outside, but doesn't waste any time complaining about the rain. She hurries off down the streets towards the nearby marketplace; the sound of merchants hawking their wares is drowned out by the downpour, but she has no doubts that the marketplace will contain what she's looking for. Sharn folk were hardly likely to let a little rain get in the way of doing business.

Jinna is planning on buying a masterwork chain shirt, and will go with Limna if she has anything she wants to buy also. Diplomacy check to haggle (both for her purchase and Limna's) is [roll0]; I don't know how much the base price would be adjusted, if any, but it's worth a shot. In the interests of speeding things up, I don't think that part needs to be RPed, but let me know if you want to do that.

The folded mail shirt lying securely in her pack, Jinna gravitates towards an out-of-the-way corner of the marketplace, sheltered from most of the rain but not all of it. "So where did you want to start?" she asks Limna in a low voice, not easily audible over the sounds of falling water. "I was going to check out the ship captains to see if any of them had criminal connections; if the pirates are avoiding hitting cargoes for the top folks around here, or if they're hitting some criminals but not others, that's a good sign there's somebody in Sharn who can lead us back to them. How about you? We can split up, if we need to cover more ground quickly."

cintain
2008-03-06, 10:49 AM
Limna

Limna scurries off after Jinna, pulling up her own cloak and looking even smaller in the rain. She stands by unobtrusively as Jinna haggles, then leads them both off to the part of the market where the magewrights and tinkerers sell their wares. She wanders along the stalls, looking at stuff hidden under hastily pulled-over tarpaulins, until she finds what she is looking for.


Limna will buy ointments, oils and spices to power up her Artificer infusions, as well as parchment or vellum, quills, and ingredients to brew up some potions and scribe a scroll (I want to scribe a scroll of water breathing and brew a couple of potions of cure moderate wounds. I intend to do this when we have some downtime). My own Diplomacy check to see who aids whom in the haggling for that is [roll0].


Limna looks at Jinna under her hood, in the rain.

I was going to try asking around in some of the taverns, to see if anyone was around who'd been at sea recently, or if there are any ships departing up the Dagger river, to see what kinds of precautions they're taking. Maybe that will give us a clue, like you said, of whether they are attacking anyone in particular.
I would like to poke around to see if any of the stuff they're stealing is finding its way back into Sharn, too. The Commodore guy says that they're probably Lazhaarite, but who knows? Sharn is a long way from the Principalities, as I understand.

Limna looks around nervously. Don't you think we ought to check on this Commodore ir'Rothos? I have a very bad feeling about him. He was holding something back, and he said something weird about his family, too, back in the tavern.

I need to go down to where I am living, too, to pick up some stuff, but I can just wander on my own after we're done looking here. So, shall we?


Rolls for poking around:
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3] just in case... :smallbiggrin:

estradling
2008-03-06, 11:33 AM
Cymran

As Noname list the people going with him. Cymran notices his name missing from the list. Watching the metal man leave he sighs, "I guess someone should keep an eye on them."

He gets up and follows them. When the rain soaks him he can be heard to say, "Yes. This day keeps getting better and better."

Cymran then moves toward the docks while moving from minor cover to minor cover. Not that it helped any.

DiscipleofBob
2008-03-06, 02:29 PM
Noname

Noname's enthusiasm seemed unaffected by the rain. After all, what care did he about minor weather patterns. It's not as if his finely crafted adamantine self would rust. Thinking about it a little, though, fleshies like Conrad and Cymran... Cymran? Noname thought he was going to go with the females? Oh well, I suppose it was just as well. "Glad to see you join us in our glorious mission... Cymran, was it? Anyway, will either you two or your pet, Michael, be requiring any protection from the rain? We wouldn't want you to drown, after all it'd be... er..." Noname paused for a second, searching for the right word, at least one that a machine would use. "Detrimental to our mission?" Noname honestly didn't know any better and thought nothing of his actions more than concern for his teammates.

Karaswanton
2008-03-06, 05:06 PM
Michael

Michael chuckles.
Pet? Solomon's no pet. He's a ferocious beast--or thinks he is at any rate. I doubt a little rain will hurt him any, it never bothered him before at any rate.

The_Snark
2008-03-06, 10:30 PM
Jinna

"I wouldn't worry about the commodore much. He's probably hoping to be able to wring a promotion out of the prestige this deal will bring him if this goes through. Not a whole lot of ways for a naval officer to gain recognition, without a war going on." She half-grins. "That sort of thing's important to nobles. What I'd be worried about," she continues more soberly, the grin fading, "is giving away too much about yourself. I think he was a little suspicious when he realized you know me."

"But yeah, let's get started. We've only got a few hours." The changeling starts off down to the lower levels, where flowing streams of water have long since joined together since falling from the gutters and drains of the upper streets.

Not quite sure how we'd go about this, but here's a shot.

Jinna's Knowledge (local) to know which people would be good to go to in order to find out information about Aelowim's possible criminal connections, and about shipping crime in general: [roll0]

Aid another to Limna's Gather Information check: [roll1]

We might want to play out talking to some of the contacts; Jinna may be employing mind-affecting abilities to pump them for information if she thinks it'll help. If you'd rather speed ahead, we can do that too, but since the other group has their own search to take care of we might as well.

an kobold
2008-03-06, 11:10 PM
Conrad

Heading off towards the docks with the others, Conrad trudges along in the rain with his eyes slightly angled downwards away from the falling drops.

I really doubt Cymran or myself will drown in this weather, but thanks for asking, Noname. Umm. . .Solomon's yours, Michael? I saw him coming in but didn't assume. . .how long have you had him?

Karaswanton
2008-03-07, 12:16 AM
Michael

Only a few months. I was out travelling for the church awhile back and I came across a man beating the poor beast senseless. Said he wouldn't behave. People treating animals badly stirs up my blood--or what passes for it anyway, and I told him to leave the animal alone.

He wouldn't, so I challenged him to a duel, which he lost. After that I made him let Solomon go free, and intended to leave it at that but for some reason Solomon here decided to follow me. I've tried getting rid of him a few times, but to no avail. I guess I'm stuck with him.

an kobold
2008-03-08, 03:54 AM
Conrad

Whew. I'm surprised there was a man left for you to win Solomon from, especially if he is the ferocious beast he thinks he is. Looks sure could fool me. Heh, back on the farm there was a cow that would chase you down if you thought the word "bucket" in her presence. . .

Conrad pauses for a moment, momentarily unsure of how to continue, before he resumes talking.

Ummm. . .I don't mean any offense, but may I ask how you found your way to the Silver Flame? I mean, it's a little unusual given. . .uh. . .certain views on how to handle warforged. Not to mention that I've never met one with much religious conviction.

estradling
2008-03-09, 11:31 AM
Cymran

The young man listened to Conrad's question. He had to admit he had the same questions. He understanding was that the Silver Flame wasn't that forgiving of things that didn't match with their expectations of how things should be. And Cymran knew he was a big exception so he was keeping things low key.

Karaswanton
2008-03-09, 06:58 PM
Michael

I fought with Karnath during the war. While on a mission I was captured by a Thrannish team--including some paladins of the Silver Flame. I was converted by their good example--they did not hold the opinions of the Thrannish government regarding my people.

an kobold
2008-03-14, 01:19 AM
Conrad

Well, it's likely we didn't see much of the same sights then. I fought for Breland during the war. Ironically, mostly along the Thrannish border. We'll have to trade stories sometime. But let's concentrate on the job at hand for now. Cymran, um, how comfortable will you be to be the spokesman of this merry band once we reach the docks? I might be able to help a little, but, um, I'm not exactly the best at bending the truth.

Karaswanton
2008-03-14, 10:53 AM
Michael

I'm not so good at deception myself, mostly from lack of practice.

estradling
2008-03-14, 11:06 AM
Cymran

"But Michael we aren't going to be deceiving people. We are just going to be selective with what truths we reveal. After all some things are just none of their business." Realizing he also answered Conrad's question he grins impishly. "I knew I would be negotiating a job today so I am prepared for it. Finding out information is not exactly the same thing, but it should be close enough."

DiscipleofBob
2008-03-19, 12:05 PM
Noname

"Deceit? Why would subterfuge be required? We're just going down to the docks to inquire recently attacked merchants about the attack patterns of the enemy." Noname thought about the words of his comrades. "So both of you fought during the war... what about you, Cymran?" The idea that the four of them might've served for different nations during the Last War meant for some possible conversations and exchange of possible tactical and combat manuevers, which excited Noname.

estradling
2008-03-19, 12:23 PM
Cymran

"The pirates may have counterintelligence agents in place. If they are truly on top of things they will have people waiting for a group like us to start asking questions about them. If they get intel on us before we get intel on them then they can catch us unaware and neutralize us." He let Noname fill in the blanks on what the neutralization might entail.

When asked about the war he answers, "I didn't fight. I was a civilian just trying to stay ahead of things."

DiscipleofBob
2008-03-24, 10:54 AM
Noname

Noname wasn't sure about Cymran's words, but since he stated them in such a straight-forward, military manner, he nodded in thoughtful agreement. The way he said it, at least, made sense. Still, he was both disappointed that Cymran didn't fight in the war and surprised that a civilian could be so... so... militaristic. "Hm... indeed..." He then turned to Michael and Conrad. "I would very much like to discuss military fighting styles, tactics, and manuevers of the respective nations you fought for during the Last War. Such a conversation would be very educational for me." Despite his wording, a genuine interest was easily present in Noname's voice, like a giddy schoolchild wanting to know about the cool soldiers in the war.

Karaswanton
2008-03-24, 06:10 PM
Michael

Not too much for me to tell really. I was trained in unarmed combat. I'm not sure how practical unarmed combat really is, but that's what I trained in and at this point everything else feels..unnatural. I'm starting to get the hang of the longspear and the longbow.

I was trained in recon as well. Apparently I wasn't very good at it--hence my capture. After that I spent the rest of the time in a Thrannish Prisoner of War camp, where I converted to the Silver Flame. I offered to enlist to defend the Holy Land, but they questioned my loyalty.

DiscipleofBob
2008-03-31, 11:30 AM
Noname

Noname did the warforged equivelent of raising an eyebrow. "Why would they question the loyalty of a warforged? It seems so... unnecessary." Noname was genuinely confused. A humanoid soldier sure, their minds and hearts were fickle, but a warforged was a machine, only meant to serve the purpose of those who would use it.

Karaswanton
2008-03-31, 08:06 PM
Michael

Our people are known for their loyalty to their unit. My unit was from Karnath, I was...defecting to the Thrannish side. I suppose I'm one of the few Paladins guilty of treason.

Michael chuckles at the realization, a strange sound to hear from a warforged.

DiscipleofBob
2008-04-01, 10:32 AM
Noname

"I see... That makes sense." Noname nodded thoughtfully. "I don't think 'treason' is an appropriate term though. A soldier who drops their sword is careless, so if the enemy picks up the sword and uses it against them, the sword is not at fault, only the soldier for incompetence." It was a direct quote from one of the martial texts Noname spent years reading. Most of those quotes were hardwired into his warforged brain at this point. Speaking of which, Noname started to casually look at their surroundings, hoping maybe to see a bookstore to visit later.

estradling
2008-04-01, 06:03 PM
Cymran

The young man continues walking while listening, hearing Nonames talk about the sword he can't help but ask, "Noname, have you ever wondered why your creators made you intelligent? I mean if all they wanted was something that obeyed orders why not just make a standard construct?"

DiscipleofBob
2008-04-02, 11:26 AM
Noname

Noname gives a bit of a warforged chuckle, always an uncomfortable sound for others. "Oh, silly human. A standard construct will follow orders to a 'T', to be sure, but what happens if those orders are detrimental to its cause? If someone were to create a golem and tell it to go to the enemy camp and slaughter everyone, it would do so, barring the fact that the path it takes doesn't have any obstacles in it. If it came across a ravine, it wouldn't know what to do next, and may very well just plunge itself in. Furthermore, what happens if it comes across the wrong camp, or the camp was already taken over and filled with allied soldiers or refugees? The golem would continue its master's orders and slaughter all of them despite the original purpose of the orders no longer being served. However, a flesh and blood soldier carries with it many burdens, such as needing sleep, food, and drink, as well as cure magic to heal their wounds. A fleshie will have its own consciousness and moralities to follow beyond the orders given to it by its masters. A fleshie is also tempted by material goods and pleasures and may commit treason to further its own ends.

"A warforged combines the best of both worlds. We are soulless machines who will follow orders and kill without question, yet we are just sentient enough to strategize and plan just how best to execute those orders. We can learn from experience and thus improve ourselves. If we break, we can repair each other (at least those of us who have been programmed with the proper crafting skills). We are not flesh soldiers, for we do not need sustenance or sleep, nor are we subject to committing treason or succumbing to such temptations. We are not complete constructs, for we have reasoning and learning capabilities. And best of all, the more warforged soldiers a particular army has, the less flesh soldiers who are likely to become casualties of war." Noname pointedly explains the 'way of things' in a clear lecture, as if proud of his machine status, completely unaware of how Michael or the others would react to this.

Karaswanton
2008-04-02, 08:40 PM
Michael

Micheal's expression turns sour.
I happen to be of the opinion that were are not soulless. Furthermore, we are as capable as any other race of having moral virtues...or vices.

Maurkov
2008-04-10, 04:13 PM
For various arcane reasons the rain storm ends as quickly as it began. The clouds disperse and the Eye of Dol Arrah blazes down, making the causeways and towers steam. Travelers, servants, and merchants stream out of the cafes and restaurants and resume their errands, while others (the locals) merely shake off their oil cloaks and continue.

DiscipleofBob
2008-04-11, 06:20 PM
Noname

As the sun blazes down, Noname's shiny black adamantine plating seems to cast a glare on random parts of the walkways. "Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against those warforged who shun their nature and the purpose for which they were created and try to mimic the weaknesses of the fleshed races. It's a natural response to the end of the war for which we were created. I think it's very..." Noname scratched his "chin" in thought for the word he wanted to use. "..interesting to see warforged branch out and try different facets of life." Noname's cheerful tone in his 'apology' completely showed his naivete on the subject. As the weather cleared, Noname looked up at the skies. "Hm... I should see if there are any nearby books on meteorology. It'd be useful to be able to predict coming weather patterns..."

Maurkov
2008-04-14, 12:15 AM
Limna and Jinna spend several hours with a charming group of half-elf sailors who are happy to answer any number of questions from certain even-more-charming if land-loving ladies. Their strategy in dealing with threats on the blue is first to outrun, second to negotiate, and third to fight.

They've heard of this new pirate menace. Only lone ships have been attacked, but with overwhelming force: The victim ship stops dead in the water (water elemental? tame kracken?). The pirate ship just sails up, deck loaded with hobgoblin archers, and demands goods. If anyone's given them resistance, they haven't lived to tell, and the pirates, for their part, haven't roughed up anyone who surrendered.

The Brelish Navy has tried baiting them with a Q ship (heavily armed vessel posing as a merchant ship), but the pirates didn't bite.

estradling
2008-04-14, 09:51 AM
Listening to Noname answer his question, Cymran felt Naberius tug at his metal leash. The bond was good this time, Naberius couldn’t act with out Cymran’s permission, but it didn’t mean he wouldn’t try. A gravelly mental voice spoke in his head, “He answered, exactly like I expected him to. Come on let me respond.”

“Let him finish first.” Cymran responded in his mind.

“But he talks so much.” He whined almost like a puppy.

“Oh like that is going to be a good augment coming from the likes of you.” The vestige didn’t reply. “Ok now remember I have to work with him, so don’t get him mad.”

Naberius turns his one of his three heads toward him and with gives a very human-like sly grin, “Trust me... This is what I do.”

“Oh gods no.” Such a comment left Cymran with a sinking feeling in his gut. Naberius was good, much better then Cymran was himself, but he wasn’t always as good as he thought he was.

It the real world the mental discussion happened in a blinking of an eye, hearing the warforged response, Cymran’s grin widens, and a twinkle comes into his eye. When he answers to the sensitive ear it sounds like his voice when just a little bit deeper.

“So you were given intelligence, so that you could take an order and then adapt that order to new situation, or changes that the order could not take into account. Something other constructs can’t do, but us ‘soulful flesh bags’ can. Without the limits that we fleshie have of free will, and the need to maintain our form.” The Naberius/Cymran summarized Noname’s answer, before moving on.

“Now your last order was to ‘be free,’ to develop and use ‘free will.’ Now being fleshie that has always had free will, I can’t say I truly know how hard it is to make such a change. I do know that many other warforged have done so. They have followed this order and have adapted and fulfilled the order as they have been created to do. Yet you, my Nonamed friend, seem to be stuck, construct like on the minimum and most literal interpretation of that order.”

“Now I suppose you could make the case that you have obeyed your orders to ‘be free.’ And with your freedom you have chosen to be a slave to whomever you call master. However that strikes me as such a twist and dodging of the orders intent, to make it be what you really want. A twisting and dodging worthy of being on the same level as any fleshie who is gives into the temptation of their own consciousness, morality, and material goods. So with every effort you make to avoid becoming like us fleshies, you sink your self that much closer to us.”

DiscipleofBob
2008-04-14, 11:37 AM
“So you were given intelligence, so that you could take an order and then adapt that order to new situation, or changes that the order could not take into account. Something other constructs can’t do, but us ‘soulful flesh bags’ can. Without the limits that we fleshie have of free will, and the need to maintain our form.” The Naberius/Cymran summarized Noname’s answer, before moving on.

Noname processed the summary before nodding in agreement. "Yes, this is correct. If the term 'fleshie' or derivations of the word are offensive to you, feel free to suggest an alternate classification for non-warforged races."



“Now your last order was to ‘be free,’ to develop and use ‘free will.’ Now being fleshie that has always had free will, I can’t say I truly know how hard it is to make such a change. I do know that many other warforged have done so. They have followed this order and have adapted and fulfilled the order as they have been created to do. Yet you, my Nonamed friend, seem to be stuck, construct like on the minimum and most literal interpretation of that order.”

"With all due respect, I am afraid you are mistaken. My last orders were only to 1) Experience more of the world, 2) Find a greater purpose, and 3) Not to desginate a new superior officer without careful deliberation. Free will is only necessary to me as far as intelligence and reasoning capablities go."



“Now I suppose you could make the case that you have obeyed your orders to ‘be free.’ And with your freedom you have chosen to be a slave to whomever you call master. However that strikes me as such a twist and dodging of the orders intent, to make it be what you really want. A twisting and dodging worthy of being on the same level as any fleshie who is gives into the temptation of their own consciousness, morality, and material goods. So with every effort you make to avoid becoming like us fleshies, you sink your self that much closer to us.”

"Strange... Do you call your weapons, tools, and soldiers 'slaves?' I was under the impression that the word 'slave' has different connotations, usually implying suppression of free will and manual labor." With any else, this would be a rhetorical question of a now heated debate, but Noname was honestly confused with Cymran's words. "Unfortunately, I do not follow your logic. I have no orders as such to practice free will nor do I have any reason to do as such, as such an element would be detrimental to my ability to receive orders. As such, I have followed my orders to the best of my ability, which fulfills my primary function. I hope that clears up the misunderstanding." With the last sentence, there was some hint of pride in Noname's voice. Noname didn't reply with hostility, discomfort, or even distaste. In his mind, he was only correcting some inconsistencies in Cymran's assumptions.

Karaswanton
2008-04-15, 08:50 AM
Micheal

His devotion to duty is praiseworthy, but I have a feeling that morals would not prevent him from carrying out atrocities if ordered to do so.

Swords and tools aren't called slaves because they are inanimate objects. We can think, and act. Now, you may prefer to follow orders in lieu of making your own decisions, I won't begrudge you your lifestyle if that is how you prefer it...provided my morals don't conflict with your orders in any case.

But please, don't expect all of us to act according to our last orders. I for one, like my free will. Sure, there are some problems sometimes, but I prefer solving my own problems, my own way.

In any case, I think we should find a Capitan and a ship for our expedition.

estradling
2008-04-15, 09:54 AM
Cymran


"How you chose to interrupt your orders, and live your life is up to you of course. Thats not the issue or point I was going for." Cymran with Naberius taking point wasn't upset set or getting heated. He was enjoying this.


"From what you just said I now think I can cut to the heart of this matter. It is my contention that you have an order that either you don't know about, or you are choosing to ignore. Now the nature of this order allows you to ignore it and still follow it, which sounds paradoxical, but do to the nature of the order it really isn't."

"The order in question is found in the Treaty of Thronehold. To end the last war the leaders of various side got together and worked out a new set of orders that would end the war. When they signed the treaty those orders applied to their warforged and everyone else on their side."

"Now perhaps you don't know about the treaty or what orders where given therein. If that is the case then when you aren't committed to another task I would encourage you to go research it and learn for yourself what the orders are."

DiscipleofBob
2008-04-15, 10:20 AM
Noname

He took note of Michael's discomfort. Such tensions between future comrades were not healthy, and it was the sort of thing he expected from the flesh races, not something a "true warforged" would succumb to. Nontheless, it was probably best to try and make amends before things got worse. "I apologize, Michael, if you find my words uncomfortable. Making moral judgments is not a part of my function. It is not my place to form conjectures on the decisions of other warforged, and I hope our future working relationship will not be hindered by this conversation.

"Cymran, while I believe you are confusing the orders of a commanding officer for the terms of a treaty, I think it would be best to continue this conversation later. I have only heard of the Treaty of Thronehold from my previous commanding officer, and have not yet had the chance to procure a copy, but rest assured I will do so at my next possible convenience. For the time being, however, I think this discussion is making our comrades unsettled, so we should concentrate on the mission at hand. There will be time for discussion later." He talked as he walked down the streets of Sharn, following whoever seemed to be heading in the right direction, but after being lost in the conversation, he couldn't help but notice the length of the trip. Their employer should have selected an establishment closer to the docks for this type of mission. "Are we getting close to the docks?"



Cymran: [roll0]
Michael: [roll1]

estradling
2008-04-16, 09:17 AM
Cymran

"Only in that Treaty are orders that your Commanding Officer should be obeying. But you are quite right we should table this for another time. Time to find our selves a ship and a captain willing to take us where we need to go."

Once into a likely area Cymran begins talking to people trying to locate Aelowim


Cymran uses Naberius's Silver Tongue ability to take 10 Diplomacy checks (for a 22) to move people to friendly. Then once friendly he asks about Aelowim

Maurkov
2008-04-16, 05:47 PM
The ladies move to other establishments and eventually find themselves seated on either side of an enormous, bestial, but not-too-aromatic bugbear. He sailed as privateer out of Darguun during the war, when his ship would attack those of Zilargo and Breyland. He never ventured into the Hilt as his deep-drafted vessel would be out-maneuvered by the ships of the inland waterway. He was eventually sunk by a gnomish airship (and he's still bitter).

He is very surprised to hear about the hobgoblin crew; That's pretty distinctive and they have to make port somewhere. He orders another tea with honey and gazes at Jinna. Licking his nose he asks, "Ever been to Darguun?"

cintain
2008-04-16, 09:31 PM
Limna

Trying to conceal her disgust just a bit too much, Limna shoots a furtive glance at Jinna, then at the bugbear.

She swallows hard. Where do you think that a crew of hobgoblins would be likely to make port? Might they be from Darguun, or perhaps somewhere further east?

Maurkov
2008-04-16, 11:13 PM
Cymran quickly discovers that Aelowim is a captain who works for the GB Concern. Polite inquiry locates their office. More polite inquiry reveals that he is present, and if you are willing to wait, will be available shortly. Ten minutes later a murmur of raised voices can be heard through the wall. After fifteen, three stalwart dwarves depart through the waiting room. Then you are shown in.

Aelowim is a heavy, aging human with hollow eyes and ruddy features. His salt-and-pepper beard reaches his collarbone. He is seated behind a stout desk which is buried in papers. He holds a tattered quill with ink-stained fingers. He looks up from his work, and might have bolted if it weren't too much effort. Plus, you're blocking the door. He sets his chin instead. He doesn't stand, and he waits for you to speak.

The_Snark
2008-04-16, 11:50 PM
Jinna

Jinna, by contrast, appears completely at ease, lounging (as much as one can lounge on a stool) next to the bugbear. "Nope, never been," she shakes her head. "What with the war, and all of that. Y'know. How long would it take to sail from here to Darguun? You must've made the trip a few times."

Maurkov
2008-04-17, 06:01 PM
The bugbear is distracted by Limna's questions. "Dunno. Many coves in the Hilt. They might camp anywhere. But no R&R makes even hobs unhappy.

"I would need to see their flags to know where they're from."

Turning back to Jinna, he says, "You would like Darguun. You would be," he makes grunting sound from deep in his chest, "very popular.

"A deep water vessel could reach there in twenty days. A coastal must follow the peninsulas of Zilargo; forty five days, maybe."

estradling
2008-04-19, 07:20 AM
Cymran

"Greeting Mister Aelowim." With a wave of his hand to he gestures to the others in his group. "My friends and I come to you today, because we understand that you had an unfortunate turn of events. We understand that one of your ships has been misfortunate enough to run in to pirates. We were hoping to learn more about what happened, so that we could adjust our travel plans accordingly."





Cymran uses Naberius's Silver Tongue ability to take 10 Diplomacy checks (for a 22) to move Aelowin to friendly

Maurkov
2008-04-19, 12:06 PM
"Take the lightning rail," he says, ruffles some papers, and looks around for the ink pot.

((Some people don't start "indifferent."))

Karaswanton
2008-04-20, 12:12 AM
Micheal

Adjust our traveling plans, eh? I suppose that is true...we will need to adjust traveling plans in order to attack the pirates. And we don't have to broadcast our intentions to everyone.

I'm afraid the rail won't work for our particular venture, sir, could you perhaps give us some basic information. We could compensate somewhat you for your time, it's obvious you are rather busy.


Diplomacy[roll0]
Probably not going to do better, but it doesn't hurt, and maybe the small compensation will give us a circumstance bonus?

Karaswanton
2008-04-20, 12:25 AM
Also, if it is obvious that Alewim is looking for the ink pot, Micheal looks for it and hands it to him.

DiscipleofBob
2008-04-20, 04:59 PM
Noname


Sense Motive check to realize that his teammates are purposely lying for a reason.
[roll0]
lol, no.


He looked at Cymran, then at Michael, then at Cymran again, before directly addressing the merchant. He couldn't understand why Cymran and Michael were asking "We are interested in any information you have about the pirates' attack patterns so we can intercept them accordingly and eliminate their threat." He carried a greatsword as a weapon, but that didn't mean he was lacking in blunt instruments.

Maurkov
2008-04-21, 01:57 PM
Aelowim

"Yes, yes I am rather busy," he says, gesturing from one stack of papers to another, "justifying losses to the owners that resulted when they declined to provide adequate security and doing it diplomatically enough to keep my ship and my post."

Michael steps to the desk, and Aelowim pushes his chair back, one hand going to free his rapier. Michael reaches under a paper and sets the ink in view. Aelowim stops. "Thank you."

Pulling his chair back in and retrieving his quill, he says, "the Concern gets a percentage of any deals I do here, and I don't feel like earning them any money right now." He says rather gently, "So. Get out."

"Ginny!" he shouts past you, "I'm going to lunch. No more visitors. And show these out."

cintain
2008-04-21, 07:13 PM
Limna

Limna looks at Jinna, then back at the bugbear. A shift in expression passes over her face and she smirks, briefly.

So, who would you say the hobgoblins are working for? I mean, I heard that the pirates have some sort of magic that makes their victim ships stop dead in the water.

Karaswanton
2008-04-22, 07:26 AM
Michael

Very well, thank you for your time.

On the way out, he talks to Ginny:
Apparently Aelowim is too busy for us, do you know of anyone else we could talk to about this matter?

Maurkov
2008-04-23, 06:54 PM
The bugbear shrugs.

((The primary export of Darguun is mercenaries. Anybody can hire them. He might have more information, though, on black markets and general piracy.))

---

Ginny is apologetic, shooting a reproachful look at Aelowim when he crosses the entry room on his way out. She takes your names and says that she'll find someone else who was there and have them contact you.

Back on the street, Aelowim is still in sight, strolling.

cintain
2008-04-23, 07:10 PM
Limna

Limna shoots a glance at Jinna, wondering why she is keeping quiet in the middle of all this and feeling a bit weak asking her questions. Still, she presses on, trying to look confident.

So, where would those pirates go to sell the goods they have stolen?

The_Snark
2008-04-24, 01:35 AM
Jinna

Careful, Lim, too open. If you talk too much, words gets around... Her silent warning goes unsaid, though.

"Oh, a pirate wouldn't sail under a real flag, would he?" Jinna asks casually, twirling a glass on the table as if bored by Limna' questions. "Darguun sounds nice. But I don't know as I'd want to sail there now, what with these pirates." She sets the glass down and looks up, flashing a smile, then tilts her head as if an idea occurred to her. "You were a privateer, right? How'd you know what ships to hit?"

estradling
2008-04-24, 11:38 AM
The bugbear shrugs.

Ginny is apologetic, shooting a reproachful look at Aelowim when he crosses the entry room on his way out. She takes your names and says that she'll find someone else who was there and have them contact you.

Back on the street, Aelowim is still in sight, strolling.


Cymran groaned softly as Noname added in his two bits when talking to Aelowim. They had just talked about the need to not tell all the details to people they didn't know for sure they could trust, and he goes off blabbing to the first man they meet. Clearly he didn't get it, so they would other means to make sure Noname wouldn't mess things up.

As Michael works to line up more help, Cymran is in deep thought. When he sees Aelowim walking an idea comes to mind. "Guys... The be nice approach didn't work on Aelowim so I am thinking something more aggressive, but still legal," with a nod to ward Michael the objection he is sure to raise. "Why don't you guys go on up ahead, I'll catch up."

DiscipleofBob
2008-04-24, 12:45 PM
Noname

He watched Aelowim leave and thought about the situation perplexedly. "I do not understand... Why would the merchant turn us away after clearly stating we were here to help alleviate him from his pirate problems? This seems very suspicious..." At Cymran's words, he perks up. "'Aggressive' is an adjective I am more strongly suited for. If you are thinking of forceful interrogation, perhaps I could be of assistance? Following behind of course, especially since stealth is required."

Karaswanton
2008-04-24, 04:52 PM
Michael

To Noname:
Yes, that does seem strange.

To Cymran:
Well for now Ginny is going to try to get us a different contact, so that may not be necessary.

Why don't we pass the time by trailing him while you try to convince me of approving of your plan?

Maurkov
2008-04-25, 05:34 PM
"So, where would those pirates go to sell the goods they have stolen?"

"Cogs," he says, referring to the lowest levels of Sharn. "There are people who watch; Anything nice gets scooped up and resold at the higher levels."

"Oh, a pirate wouldn't sail under a real flag, would he?"

The bugbear grins, "Why not? Breyland's already has it out for them, and who in Darguun would care?"

"You were a privateer, right? How'd you know what ships to hit?"

"We'd chase anything than ran from us. We had a diviner to sniff out their tricks. Gods, I hate gnomes."

The bugbear figits. Maybe he realizes he's been blabbing. He guzzles the rest of his tea in likely preparation for leaving.

---

Those who are following Aelowim, if you wish to do so covertly, I'll need hide checks.

estradling
2008-04-26, 01:19 PM
Well for now Ginny is going to try to get us a different contact, so that may not be necessary.

Why don't we pass the time by trailing him while you try to convince me of approving of your plan?


"My plan involves 'making it up as I go along' which makes it kind of hard to give details on. I do know that I need to give him something else to focus on other then Nonames revelations of our plan. And no offense meant, but while I can make him think I am someone else, I can't do the same for the two of you if you are clunking along behind me."

Karaswanton
2008-04-26, 04:45 PM
Michael

Improvisation is always good, but I'm afraid I'll need a little detail before I let you go about intimidating people.

estradling
2008-04-26, 06:23 PM
Cymran's eyes narrow, he had heard about these Silver Flame people and was afraid of some thing like this. "Before you'll let me?!?! Are you aware just how tyrannical that makes you sound? I time last I checked I didn't sign up for you to be my mother. I did sign up to be a part of a group, and I am a man of my word. So you were given a heads up." He let Naberius's growling deeper voice break through, "But don't ever presume that it gives you the right to control me!"

Maurkov
2008-04-26, 09:58 PM
You're in a minor business district near the wharfs, and the forcefulness of Cymran's speech draws some looks. In passing, one man can be heard saying to his companion, "Whoa. I'm glad I don't work for one of those."

DiscipleofBob
2008-04-26, 10:09 PM
Noname

"Roger that. I will... hm, I suppose with no destination set we can't really commission a vessel, can we?" Then the argument started. For the time being, Noname didn't react. Dissension among ranks was a very poor way to start out a mission, but once again he had to remind himself these weren't soldiers. For the time being he wasn't sure how to react.

cintain
2008-04-26, 11:29 PM
Limna

Limna looks at the bugbear as he makes his motions to leave, then at Jinna.

If you had a diviner, how come the gnomes sank your ship?

Maurkov
2008-04-26, 11:40 PM
"To answer that would require a necromancer. Good day, ladies."

Karaswanton
2008-04-27, 11:30 AM
Cymran's eyes narrow, he had heard about these Silver Flame people and was afraid of some thing like this. "Before you'll let me?!?! Are you aware just how tyrannical that makes you sound? I time last I checked I didn't sign up for you to be my mother. I did sign up to be a part of a group, and I am a man of my word. So you were given a heads up." He let Naberius's growling deeper voice break through, "But don't ever presume that it gives you the right to control me!"

Micheal rolls his eyes, and then says quietly
Tyrannical? Me? I'm not the one proposing we violently intimidate a local merchant into giving us some information which we can get elsewhere. The last time I checked, tyrants are the ones who use force to impose their will on people, which isn't what I'm doing, you are the one doing that my friend. Besides, I've lived under the flag of Karnath for a good part of the Last War, and the nation my religion is founded in doesn't recognize the fact that I am a person. Don't talk to me about tyranny, kid.



Oh, and that growling you have there? I've only heard people inhabited with evil spirits have that kind of growl before. If you want my help in making sure it doesn't unduly influence you I'll be there for you. And if you don't want my help and it takes control of you...


The warforged's face darkens, and he points to his spear.

..well, I suppose I'll be there for you then too. Now if you'll excuse this clunking metal man I think we had something important to do before you blew our cover.

estradling
2008-04-27, 12:05 PM
Cymran

"Threatening to disembowel a teammate because he will not do thing things your way is the very definition of tyranny. You want to strike me down then you better do so now. Because I am going to keep my word and do this job the way I see fit, and you just lost any right to convince me otherwise. Use your spear because that is the only way you are stopping me." With that Cymran turns away and begins walking down the street.

Karaswanton
2008-04-27, 05:29 PM
Michael

Hold on there!


Touch Attack for Grapple: [roll0] Note that Cymran is flat-footed and therefore does not get an AoO nor his Dex to AC.

Grapple check: [roll1]


If Grapple succeeds:

I'm sorry if my words have offended you, I just want to make sure you don't hurt the man. That isn't necessary, we can find some other way to get the information. In fact, we already have an alternate contact who will get in touch with us.[SPOILER]

If it doesn't:
[SPOILER]Wait, I just want to talk! Don't hurt him!

To the rest of the party:
let's get a move on, we can't let him go around hurting people.

cintain
2008-04-28, 10:34 PM
Limna

Limna whimpers, barely audible... Necromancer?

She looks over at Jinna as the bugbear gets up. When the humanoid is out of earshot, she says, half in a whisper, Do you think that he knows the pirates we're after?

The_Snark
2008-04-28, 10:40 PM
Jinna

Jinna nods companionably to the departing bugbear. She moves her stool over to Limna's so that they can talk a little more easily without being overheard. "Probably not. Little less direct next time, Lim. People who deal with pirates don't like to be asked too many questions. Answering them to the wrong person might get them in trouble with the law." She shrugs. "I wish our employer had thought to bring a list of who the pirates had attacked and when. Knowing that would be a lot of help in figuring out where they might be holing up."

"Think we should bother trying to sniff out a fence in the Cogs to see if any of the stolen goods have popped up here?"

cintain
2008-04-28, 10:51 PM
Limna

Limna looks a bit abashed at Jinna's admonition, opening her eyes wide and nodding curtly.

Limna shrugs at the question.Dunno... wouldn't we need to know what stuff got stolen in order to do that more effectively? The Cogs is not far from the Lightning Rail shops... it's not a nice area to go around poking, unless you're seeking for something specific.

Limna looks around. I'm really feeling like we should get a hold of the others and get moving. suddenly she remembers something. Wait. The Commodore said he would send you a list of the ships that were attacked, didn't he? Do you think he'd leave it for us at the Sivis Message Station like he said?

The_Snark
2008-04-28, 11:24 PM
Jinna

"Probably a good idea to find out what they've stolen first," Jinna agrees, standing. "Message station it is, then. Maybe we'll run into the others and we can check to see what they've got."

Maurkov
2008-04-28, 11:26 PM
Cymran

"Drop!" The words are a hissed whisper carrying a forceful note of command. Naberius - Persuasive Words Michael needs to make a Will Save versus Dc 14 or 'Drop,' him on your next action, and you can't pick him up again until your following turn.
Knowing that they were drawing way to much attention he still whispers harshly, "Do you really think I am so morally corrupt to think killing or physical harm is an appropriate response to someone who only crime is to have been, at worst, rude to us? Even if you doubt that, do you really think I am stupid enough bringing the city guard down on us, by attacking a merchant? However a warforged forcibly grabbing a human out in the open is sure to be seen the wrong way."

Karaswanton
2008-04-29, 11:12 AM
Michael

The warforged lets go, no Will save required.

Well, we are acting in a mercenary capacity at the moment. Lots of mercs turn out to be pretty seedy people, and it sounded like you wanted to rough him up. Besides, I don't know you well enough to know your morals--or whether or not you have common sense. Lots of people don't.
I apologize for the assumption. Though for future reference, we'll find it easier to work with each other if you are a bit more clear on your preferred methods in the future.

Anyway, we should go after this guy if we haven't already ruined the opportunity. And by "we" I mean "you" since Noname and I aren't the best trackers.

Noname and I will wait around for the other contact to show. The more info the better.

estradling
2008-04-30, 03:15 PM
Cymran

The young man nods. He forces himself to keep his mouth shut, with Naberius's prodding he could think of plenty of things to say, but none of it would be helpful, and most of it would stir up things that didn't need to be stirred up any more. He had gotten to the point he had wanted to get to, but what had it cost them? All so he could chase a lead that had a good chance of not going anywhere.

Cymran eyes the surrounding area looking for his target and trying to judge the crowds reaction.

Maurkov
2008-04-30, 06:48 PM
((The disposition of the crowd is pretty much, "no blood no foul." Some onlookers disperse when it looks like you won't be killing each other. Some others hang around in case you change your minds.

Aelowim has a pretty good head start, but he is a big guy and stands out. I still need that hide check if you don't want him to know you're following.


"Noname and I will wait around for the other contact to show"
Is that the one Ginny promised to locate? She was aiming for tomorrow, most likely.))

estradling
2008-05-02, 10:32 AM
Cymran

Seeing Aelowim moving away Cymran pulls up the soaked hood of his cloak putting his face in shadow. Then as he begins to follow after the Merchant, as he does so his shadowed features begin to change, morphing under the hood. Cymran follows while taking advantages of any breaks in line of sight to further alter his appearance. Hoping that the changes will cause Aelowim to think it is a different person each time he looks back







Using Naberius's Disguise Self to change his appearance.

[roll0] if needed

DiscipleofBob
2008-05-04, 12:35 AM
Noname

"So, Michael, if Cymran is tailing the merchant, the girls are investigating other possible leads, we won't meet the contact the secretary's promised us until tomorrow, and we can't commission a boat without knowing when and where we're sailing to, then are there any duties left for us to perform?"

Maurkov
2008-05-04, 01:02 AM
The ladies find a Sivis station and as promised, the list is there: Seventeen ships, dates, and names (captains? owners?). Each attack is about three days from the one before, though as short as one and as long as six. It will be a daunting (3+ day) task to turn that into a list of cargoes.

---

Cymran picks up Aelowim near the end of the level, in line, waiting for a lift. Relying on his disguise, he joins the queue and is just able to catch the same platform. Up two levels and south to the seaward edge of the city, Aelowim enters an upscale restaurant called The Elements. He is seated alone at a table for four.

cintain
2008-05-05, 12:15 PM
Limna

Limna looks over the list nervously, then up at Jinna.

Wow. That's a lot of ships. Those pirates have quite the operation going there, it seems. Maybe we should go and find the others, decide if we want to pursue this line of investigation, and get their help. What do you think?

Maurkov
2008-05-05, 11:16 PM
The ladies make their way to Southside on the off chance of running into their companions. Against odds, from their flying bridge they catch sight of the warforged on the next causeway.

---

The warforged are debating their next move when a group of maybe a dozen sailors approaches, laughing, shoving, and joking with each other. Ten feet from Noname, one of them stops and loudly says, "Look! Anchors!" The others guffaw.

((I got bored. Roll Init. I assume Cymran's otherwise occupied.))

The_Snark
2008-05-06, 02:34 AM
Jinna

"I think you're right. Too many ships to figure out their cargoes." She sets out with Limna for the docks.

"... does tell us they're holed up within just a few days' sail of Sharn, though," Jinna is saying quietly as they reach the apex of the bridge. "And what that guy said earlier, about how they don't go for navy bait—that means they've either got eyes and ears in Sharn, or a mage on the crew who can tell that sort of thing." She breaks off on seeing the warforged. "Oh, look. There's some of them, anyway." She quickens her pace. Too bad it's the tin cans. Where'd the other get off to, and why'd he leave them alone?

estradling
2008-05-06, 12:46 PM
Cymran picks up Aelowim near the end of the level, in line, waiting for a lift. Relying on his disguise, he joins the queue and is just able to catch the same platform. Up two levels and south to the seaward edge of the city, Aelowim enters an upscale restaurant called The Elements. He is seated alone at a table for four.

The young man chooses to wait, he wanted to talk to Aelowim alone. He could do it inside the restaurant, but he wanted to make sure he wasn't expecting any guests. And Cymran wanted to get a feel for the restaurant itself, see what kind of security was in place before he goes in

Maurkov
2008-05-06, 01:32 PM
Aelowim waves off the server twice in ten minutes, then gives up and orders. He watches the water.

Security in the place is either poor, or good and very very subtle.

cintain
2008-05-06, 08:56 PM
Limna

Limna nodded with that wide-eyed stare of hers as Jinna spoke. She feels her heart jump when she sees their warforged allies.

It looks like they're just about getting into trouble, too... do we go up there, or wait and see what they do?

Karaswanton
2008-05-06, 10:36 PM
Noname

"So, Michael, if Cymran is tailing the merchant, the girls are investigating other possible leads, we won't meet the contact the secretary's promised us until tomorrow, and we can't commission a boat without knowing when and where we're sailing to, then are there any duties left for us to perform?"

It would seem we will be otherwise occupied, at least for the moment.

[SPOILER] [roll0]

Maurkov
2008-05-07, 11:30 PM
"And where do anchors belong?"

"In the water!"

The sailors move to seize Michael and Noname. Michael reacts first.

OOC
After Michael's action I'll post a round summary, then start the next round immediately following the sailors' turn. At that point, post asynchronously and I'll sort it out. If you're doing something complicated, feel free to copy the map and show your changes (use <code> blocks or courier font to keep it fixed width, and colors if you need to highlight something.)

Init
Michael 21
Sailor 11
Noname whenever Bob decides to post again

The ladies are 240' away and would arrive from the south.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~
~++++++++++
~+........
^+.......
^+......[
^+......[
^+......[
^+......[
^+......[
^+.N..S.[
^+.MSS..[
^+..SSSS[
^+.SS.S.[
^+SSS...[
^+......[

key:
^ 40'-50' drop onto rocks
~ 60' drop into water
+ 3' guard rail
. open ground
[ tower wall

Karaswanton
2008-05-08, 06:04 PM
Micheal

I'm afraid we won't make very good anchors boys, we aren't tied to anything!


Flurry of Blows, non-lethal damage at the nearest sailor:
Atk rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]
Dmg rolls:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Maurkov
2008-05-08, 11:09 PM
Michael's protestations are punctuated by a palm strike to the face (missing) and a short punch to the solar plexus (hitting and rendering KO). The sailors are not persuaded.

As the sailors move in, Michael makes another strike, but there's a lot of them.

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3] [roll4]
[roll5] [roll6] [roll7]
[roll8] [roll9] [roll10]
[roll11] [roll12] [roll13]

[roll14] [roll15] [roll16]
[roll17] [roll18] [roll19]
[roll20] [roll21] [roll22]
[roll23] [roll24] [roll25]
[roll26] [roll27] [roll28]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~
~++++++++++
~+........
^+.......
^+......[
^+......[
^+......[
^+......[
^+SSS...[
^+SNS.S.[
^+SMSS..[
^+SSSS..[
^+......[
^+......[
^+......[

I need a grapple check from Michael and Noname.

Somebody help me out, Noname's stance active even while he's flat footed?

I need init checks from the ladies (if they choose to act). Everybody will get to go before the sailors are up again.

cintain
2008-05-09, 10:31 AM
Limna

We've got to help them, Jinna. That's a lot of sailors.

Without waiting for Jinna to answer, Limna starts hustling, looking for cover as she goes.



4-round hustle, checks at -5 (sorry I can't edit rolls)

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

The_Snark
2008-05-09, 06:26 PM
Jinna

"Yeah, I think we'd better," Jinna answers as she sees the sailors close in, cursing mentally and stepping up her pace. When I find out what Fury-addled idiot started this...

Initiative [roll0], and hustling.

Karaswanton
2008-05-10, 09:06 AM
Micheal


Grapple checks. I wasn't sure how many you needed, so I'm just rolling lots.
So, these aren't re-rolls, just additional rolls if you need them.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Maurkov
2008-05-10, 02:23 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5] [roll6] hmm. Possible crit. Plus punishing stance? That's gonna leave a mark.Three grab Michael and lift him from the ground [8 non-lethal damage].

They seem to be having trouble Noname, a heavier model. Only one manages to get a hold [0 damage after DR]. But it seems to have shaken a screw loose. Noname's voice loses all inflection, "Release. I am military hardware. Release." <beat> <beat> *CRUNCH* Noname's arm lashes out, caving in the chest of an unlucky sailor, breaking ribs and shattering the breastbone. Blood is everywhere. Without pause Noname draws his greatsword.

OOC


~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~
~++++++++++
~+........
^+.......
^+......[
^+......[
^+......[
^+......[
^+SSS...[
^+SNS.S.[
^+.MSS..[
^+.S.S..[
^+......[
^+......[
^+......[

I still need Michael's action for the second round, init from L and J, and knowledge arcana (trained only) checks all around.

Init order
Jinna 4 180' south of the map
Noname 3
Michael 21 29/29[8 non-lethal] Grappled. There are 3 sailors in his square.
Limna 20 180' south of the map
Sailors 11

Karaswanton
2008-05-11, 11:09 AM
Micheal

Instead of trying to free himself, Micheal begins lashing out at all the sailors:

Non-lethal, Flurry, with Slam Attack:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Damage rolls:
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

estradling
2008-05-11, 06:14 PM
Aelowim waves off the server twice in ten minutes, then gives up and orders. He watches the water.

Security in the place is either poor, or good and very very subtle.


Cymran after a bit is struck with and idea. With a thought he upgrades his look, going for a minor noble or well off middle class look. Then he strides in boldly confident he wouldn't be recognized.

Assuming he gets across the room unintercepted, he says, "Ah... Alelowin good chap... just the man I wished to see." And helps himself to a seat.

Maurkov
2008-05-11, 11:45 PM
Aelowim combines standing up and bowing in one awkward motion. He looks at Cymran a little closely for comfort, dredging his memory. "Please be... hmm , yes," when Cymran sits before the invitation is made. "Strange days," he mutters as he sits again.

---
Michael flails. His elbow connects to someone's solar plexus [3 non-lethal], but he doesn't quite drop the man.

"Maric, no!" One of the sailors moves to drag the dying one to safety and instantly becomes Noname's next victim. The sailor's head lolls back, throat anything but neatly sliced.

The sailors aren't laughing anymore, and are totally disorganized. One tries to put Noname in a full nelson, but the warforged throws him off. Others move out of range but stick around to help their buddies. Several flee. Two holding Michael try to let go. The third tries to use Michael as a shield against Noname.

Limna (who had a head start) closes to 120'.

OOC
Karaswanton, you're -4 when making melee attacks inside a grapple. If Michael wishes to hold on to the sailors attempting to leave his grapple, please make 2 checks. Make one grapple check to avoid being used as a shield.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~
~++++++++++
~+........
^+....... four sailors make it around the corner
^+.....S[
^+......[
^+......[
^+......[
^+..S...[
^+SNS.S.[
^+.M...S[
^+......[
^+......[
^+......[
^+......[

Init order
Jinna 4 180' south of the map
Noname 3
Michael 21 29/29[8 non-lethal]. There are one or more sailors in his square.
Limna 20 120' south of the map
Sailors 11

Karaswanton
2008-05-12, 12:16 AM
Micheal

To Noname:
Stand down soldier!

Then to the sailor:
Let go of me sailor, help me with your friends, maybe we can save some of their lives


[roll0]
If a heal check fails to stabilize, Micheal tries again. He starts with the men that are the worst off (except the dead ones, obviously). I don't remember how many men are bleeding out, so I rolled lots of heal checks. I guess it works out in case they fail as well.
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

Karaswanton
2008-05-12, 12:18 AM
I forgot a grapple check, whoops.
[roll0]

Maurkov
2008-05-12, 12:57 PM
The two sailors that tried to get away from Michael do so and flee south. The one wanting to use Michael as a shield does, but seems to be weighing Michael's words. "C-Can you stop it?"

((This round Michael is pinned. At a glance, the one with the crushed chest might last a few rounds. The one with the slashed throat has probably already expired.))

Noname is still speaking in a monotone, "Order invalid. Ignore." He reverses the grip on his greatsword, about to impale the sailor behind him.

((Jinna, any change in your action for this round?))

cintain
2008-05-12, 06:34 PM
Limna

Seeing that the sailors are fleeing, but noticing that two are on the ground, Limna runs a close as she can get to the Warforged, then tries to find a place to hide from which she can still see what's going on. She looks back to make sure Jinna is still following.

once again...
[roll0]

estradling
2008-05-12, 07:04 PM
Aelowim combines standing up and bowing in one awkward motion. He looks at Cymran a little closely for comfort, dredging his memory. "Please be... hmm , yes," when Cymran sits before the invitation is made. "Strange days," he mutters as he sits again.


"Yes... Indeed they are. Why my dear old Aunt Lorrie used to say..." the disguised Cymran visibly catches himself. "Hehehe sorry about that I tend to wander off topic easy. Almost as bad as a gossipy old woman. Anyway where were we... ah... yes strange days. One of the strangeish things is the idea that a honest hardworking man can't make a decent living this days. Like it wasn't already hard enough between the city taxes, fees, and whatnots, just to unload and finding a trustworthy captain and crew to haul stuff around, now we have pirates to deal with. What are we paying all this taxes and fees for? If not for protection from this kind of riffraft? Sure... sure... they make good talk about getting right on it but nothing ever changes."



Silver tongue power again to take a ten on Bluff and Diplomacy (if needed) Bluff -17 Diplomacy -22

Karaswanton
2008-05-12, 09:30 PM
Micheal

To the sailor Noname is about to stab:
WATCH OUT!

To Noname:
[B]I said [I]STAND DOWN!!![I][B]


[roll0]


To the sailor pinning him:
Psst. I can fight him off better if you let go, thanks.

Maurkov
2008-05-13, 02:16 PM
Aelowim seems to be warming to you, but he's still on edge, unsure what you're about to ask him. "Aye, times are always hard for honest men. It's better now than in wartime, though." The server interrupts, bringing Aelowim's meal: baked fish and white wine.

---

The sailor tries to dodge, but Noname is an expert swordsman, and spits him up through the ribcage. "Invalid Command <beat> presumed ally." The sailor slides off the blade as Noname manuvers to get a shot on the one holding Michael. He's currently straddling the one Michael knocked out*.

Limna runs, and ducks into the doorway of the GB Concern. Jinna is slightly behind.

The sailor releases Michael and evades the rampaging warforged and heads south.

OOC
*Oops. Left that one off the last map. He's back, in Noname's square.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~
~++++++++++
~+........
^+.......
^+.....S#
^+......#
^+......#
^+......#
^+..S...#
^+S.S...#
^+.MN...#
^+......#
^+......#
^+......#
^+......##
^+......L+
^+.S....##


Init order
Jinna 4 60' south of the map
Noname 3
Michael 21 29/29[8 non-lethal]
Limna 20
Sailors 11

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3]

Karaswanton
2008-05-13, 09:37 PM
Micheal

Alright, trying to get this idiot to calm down has pretty much proven a bust. He doesn't seem to be smart enough to truly be Evil, so Smite is out. And he looks too tough to Stun. Tee-riffic.

Micheal takes a five foot step back, and draws his net. As a standard action, he fights defensively, giving him a +2 dodge bonus to AC, for a total of 19.


Micheal has manacles on him, what rules would you use for Micheal to get them on to Noname?

estradling
2008-05-14, 10:34 AM
Aelowim seems to be warming to you, but he's still on edge, unsure what you're about to ask him. "Aye, times are always hard for honest men. It's better now than in wartime, though." The server interrupts, bringing Aelowim's meal: baked fish and white wine.


"Oh yes indeed. War is absolutely the worst. Price of good go up, price of labor goes up because all the strong backs are all out fighting. And there is a very real risk that no matter how hard and long you have worked, no matter how smart or careful you've planned, that some idiot with a sword can come along and take it all away."

"And that bring us back to the point. Pirates are taking our stuff by the sword and we want to stop that. Now building up an armed force to deal with them, has to much potential to be taken as a threat by our own goverment. And we most definatily don't want that."

"So that leaves us with Plan B. Gather every detail we can, learn as much as we can about how they operate, and then let everyone know. Its one thing for the city to ignore faceless merchants. It's not personal so people don't care. But it is much harder to ignore Sally, a young 10 year old girl who survived an attack, but was so traumatized that she has nightmares and can't go near boats or water without crying out."

"This is what we want to do, put a face on the attacks, and have enough solid details that everyone starts asking 'why'. 'Why hasn't anything been done about them?' And that my dear Aelowim is what brings me to you today. I wish to get the details of the attack on your ship, so we can get another piece in this puzzle and come that much closer to stopping them."

Maurkov
2008-05-14, 12:42 PM
((The waiter is lingering in case Cymran wants to order. Does he?))

"Oh, I get it. You're writing for the Inquisitive. And paid by the word by the sound of it," he says jovially. No longer concerned about the rank Cymran's garb would indicate, he takes a big bite.

estradling
2008-05-14, 01:12 PM
As Aelowim makes his own leap to who Cymran is, Cymran orders a white wine from the waiter buying time to mental adjustment. A reporter wasn't his original plan, but it would work. It did put Aelowim at ease and that was a good start.

"So... ready to tell your tale? Do understand that if their are parts you are not comfortable having go out under your name I can call it an 'anonymous' source."

The_Snark
2008-05-14, 04:06 PM
Jinna

Jinna continues to run, slowing as she gets closer. ****, he's killing them! Hostdamned crazy forged!

"Get back! Run!" she barks, gesturing emphatically to tell somebody (presumably the sailors) they should leave.

Jinna will close to within twenty-five feet or so of the fight.

Maurkov
2008-05-14, 04:52 PM
Jinna shouts, and Noname's focus snaps to her. Then it turns and charges the soldier at the corner. The sailor sees him coming though and is long gone by the time he gets there.

The sailor runs past John (G on the map). A moment later he hears and then sees a massive adamantine clad warforged reach the corner. It's wielding a greatsword and drenched with blood.

OOC
John, roll init. Michael, if you want to revise your action (delete and repost would be easiest to track), you may.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~
~+++++++++++++++
~+.............S
^+.....N......G.
^+......########
^+......#
^+......#
^+......#
^+..S...#
^+S.S...#
^+.MS...#
^+......#
^+......#
^+......#
^+......##
^+..J...L+
^+.S....##

Init order

Michael 21 29/29[8 non-lethal]
John 21
Limna 20
Sailors 11
Jinna 4
Noname 3

Winged One
2008-05-14, 06:24 PM
John Grot
AC 18 touch 13 flat 15
HP 19/19
6 action points
Initiative 21-
Effects: Personal Weapon Augmentation(Bane: humanoid[goblinoid])

John is absorbed in his thoughts as he walks down the docks. Little ****s sell me reagents that are too fragile to work more than once and then they don't even have any money after I come down here to **** them up. Unless I stumble onto work today, I won't be able to eat if I don't sell something off... He doesn't even notice the commotion until the sailor running past him jostles him into paying attention, and then he sees Noname in all of his psychotic glory. ****. This is going to be one of those days, isn't it? He makes a grabbing gesture in the air at Noname, pulls his hand back towards himself, and yells "Fuego!" As the berserk warforged's metal parts begin to heat up(unless they don't), John sees that he's not alone in trying to take him out, so he draws his just-cleaned mace and approaches cautiously.
OOCWe've got a paladin named Michael and a smartass who makes magic items. I just had to.:smallsmile:

Using the Heat Metal infusion, then getting the hell out of Noname's charge range moving 5 spaces towards Noname and 1 space perpendicular to him so that John and the unseen attacker(Michael) can set up a flank with a move from each of them. Will DC 15 negates unless you want to rule that since he's not an object he doesn't get a save.

cintain
2008-05-14, 08:24 PM
Limna

As Noname begins pursuit, Limna rushes to Michael's side and looks at him and the felled sailors.

Are you all right? she says, pulling out a potion of cure light wounds from her Haversack. She pours it down the mouth of the guy with the chest injury.

for the potion
[roll0]


What the hell happened? You guys were supposed to be gathering information, not trouble. What got into him?! she is trying not to yell (looking more scared than angry), and she points in the direction Michael just took off in.

She goes over to the guy that was knocked out and sees if she can wake him.

Maurkov
2008-05-15, 12:48 AM
Aelowim

"What will you pay for an exclusive?" He watches Cymran over the rim of his wine glass.

Karaswanton
2008-05-15, 12:59 AM
OOC: No need to re-do my turn.

Micheal

The situation escalated. I will explain later. These two will be fine for the time being. We need to shut down this brute as soon as we can. Can you

With that, Micheal drops the folded net gently at her feet, moves forward towards Noname, and attacks with his longspear.


Micheal drops the net (free action), draws out his spear (move action), and shoots (standard action). Micheal will position himself two squares beneath Noname.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Karaswanton
2008-05-15, 01:20 AM
OOC: I forgot Micheal was a Monk, and thus, can attack unarmed even with his hands full of net. If that re-do is still an option, I'd like it now

The situation escalated. I will explain later. I'm going to try to see if I can cover the rampaging brute in a net.

With that, Micheal does one, single 30 footmove action forward if he can't charge. Then he bellows at Noname to get his attention.

If he can charge, he charges Noname, and does an unarmed (non-lethal) attack, with a Stunning Fist.


[roll0]
[roll1]
Stunning Fist DC: Fort save DC 15.


Also, what is your opinion on Monks having their unarmed strikes enchanted? And what would you think of Micheal taking Mithral Body later on? I'm aiming for the Argent Fist PrC.

The_Snark
2008-05-15, 02:05 AM
Jinna

"Hey! —"idiot thing doesn't have a name, what am I supposed to call it?—"Noname!" she finishes, finally using the stupid nickname it had around its neck. Her brain scrambles for words it'll understand. "The enemy is fleeing or surrendering! Stand down!" She runs after the warforged.

Blast, he ran out of Close range. Double move, in pretty much a straight line—not within Noname's melee range, though.

I'm not rolling Diplomacy checks because Diplomacy is technically an action, but if you'd like them, go ahead and roll; her modifier is +14.

estradling
2008-05-15, 10:30 AM
Aelowim

"What will you pay for an exclusive?" He watches Cymran over the rim of his wine glass.


Cymran returns the grin, "That depend on how much you can give me that is exclusive. Other merchants have already told their story, and I am thinking your is going to be much the same. I figure your confirmation of details is worth paying for your lunch." He said with a nod toward Aelowim's fish. "If you have something no one else has that can truly shed some light on the pirates activities. Well then that is worth a bit more."

Maurkov
2008-05-15, 12:03 PM
Noname's copious armor deflects Michael's jump side kick while his warblade training allows him to blend with and negate John's infusion. When Jinna speaks he snaps to attention, but immediately drops back into a fighting stance. Still speaking without inflection, "I am under attack." Noname divides his attention between assailants and holds his attack.

The dying sailor responds to Limna's potion. His wounds close and his bones knit. The sounds of healing are nearly as nausiating as the wounding. The sailor coughs up about a pint of blood and then his eyes flutter open.

OOCYup, unless the corpses really pile up, they don't affect movement (which would prevent a charge). A monk's unarmed attacks count as weapons or natural weapons for the purposes of spells and feats. You can benefit from either Magic Weapon or Magic Fang. Unlike your armor plating and your slam attack, your unarmed strike can't be made into a permanent magic weapon, though you would benefit from Magic Fang + Permanency.

John, if you have ranks, roll your knowledge arcana.

Somebody with ToB help me out. I don't understand what a warblade has to do to recover his maneuver. He used Moment of Perfect Mind during John's turn, so I think that immediate action counts as his swift action for this round. So he can't recover it until he spends his swift action on his following turn?


.00000000001111111111
.01234567890123456789
A~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+.
B~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+.
C~++++++++++++++++++.
D~+.......G..........
E^+..J..N............
F^+....M.########....
G^+......#########...
H^+......##########..
I^+......############
J^+..x...#
K^+x.S...#
L^+..SL..#
M^+......#
N^+......#
O^+......#
P^+......##
Q^+.......+
R^+......##

Init order

Michael 21 29/29[8 non-lethal]
John 21
Limna 20
Sailors 11
Jinna 4
Noname 3

Oops. Haven't made that rolling thread yet. [roll0]

cintain
2008-05-15, 12:45 PM
Limna

Limna helps the healed sailor up, tries not to wince at the blood coming out of his mouth and doing her best to keep him from turning towards the fight with Noname.

Are you all right? Oh my gods, you came close. Can you walk?

Half-dragging him along, she brings her close to the the one that's knocked out. ((BTW, did I manage to stir him?)

You have got to get out of here. Your friends are all gone. Here, help me get your friend up. Once both of them are on their feet, Limna urges them on.

Get out of here, guys. Think twice before you start horse-playing with Warforged again.

Not sure what you would have me roll to get rid of those two... I figure they're pretty confused and easy to handle...

[roll0]
[roll1]


When they get the picture and leave, Limna turns to the battle.

Winged One
2008-05-15, 01:50 PM
OOC[roll0]

Like I said, try a Battlefist. It can be enhanced like a normal weapon, and confers it's benefits to all of a monk's unarmed strikes, even the ones made with a different part of the body(my flavor justification for that is that it's more like a regular magical gauntlet that enhances the user's body as a weapon than an attached weapon like an Armblade or Armbow).

To recover maneuvers, a warblade must spend a swift action and a standard action to either make a regular attack(as opposed to a standard action maneuver or a full attack) or do nothing.

The_Snark
2008-05-15, 01:56 PM
Jinna

"So I see. Everybody just lower the weapons and stop." She gives an indiscriminate glare to the trio of combatants before her, which quickly focuses on anybody foolish enoughnot to listen.

Should anybody visibly attack, Jinna will use Suggestion (with Greater Psionic Endowment, DC 18) to get them to stop. Unfortunately, she goes after everybody else, so she won't be able to stop them beforehand; I might just post again if I have to take the action.

Karaswanton
2008-05-15, 08:41 PM
Micheal

Micheal planned on throwing the net this round, but instead he heeds Jinnas advice. Full-Round action of fighting defensively, -4 to attack, +2 AC.

EDIT: Micheal lowers the net, but does not drop it. He spends a full round action on Total Defense, giving him +4 to AC.

Winged One
2008-05-15, 09:42 PM
The human who joined in drops into a low crouch and moves his mace into a guard position that will let him hit Noname's greatsword out of and path it takes towards him as he steps slowly to surround him with Michael; complying literally with Jinna's demand since the weapon is slightly closer to the ground. His eyes flick briefly towards Michael's holy symbol, and he says in dawning comprehension(which is nonetheless completely wrong) "This isn't even close to what it looks like, is it?"

OOC5' step to the left on the map to flank with Michael, then Total Defensing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#totalDefense) for +4 dodge to AC.

Maurkov
2008-05-15, 11:51 PM
"Whatever." He turns his chair so that he can watch the water while he tells the tale. "We were on our way back from Moonwatch. Short runs aren't very profitable for independents, but if you've got a company making the arrangements on both ends you can be there in five days. Anyway, it's the third day and we're just leaving sight of the western shore. There's a good wind from the north. I think maybe we'll get in early. Then the boat stops, hard enough to knock down some of the experienced sailors.

"You writing this down?"

estradling
2008-05-16, 08:54 AM
"Absolutely," the fake reporter replied. Cymran pulls a scroll case out from an unseen location under the table. Popping open the case he pulls out a piece of parchment, ink, and an ink pen.

"Moonwatch.... Three days... Western shore... I assume the sudden stop wasn't caused by poor navigation driving you up into a reef?" He prompted the merchant to continue.




OOC: I am so glad I put ink and parchment on my character sheet

Maurkov
2008-05-16, 04:34 PM
As Cymran forms the question, Naberius intercedes*, clamping shut the binder's throat. The waiter arrives with wine to relieve the sputtering, red-faced man.

Once Cymran recovers, Aelowim continues. "Over the next two hours we plumbed the depths (at least 250') and jiggered the sails. With as much sail as the masts could take, the ship didn't budge. I was getting ready to throw some men overboard to check the hull when the pirates showed up.

"They came straight to us. The ship was Q'barran; high decks and too narrow to carry much cargo. They signaled for my surrender, and I did." Aelowim frowns.

OOC*I really know nothing about binders, but if you're 'sposed to have a diplomacy bonus, that question does not pass your lips.

---

Noname steps back (D6), and with a flourish sheaths his sword. Of course a warforged is never unarmed.

Limna isn't able to wake the unconscious sailor, but the one she healed has enough strength to drag that one by the armpits. They head south.

@JohnThere's something about Noname's behavior that tickles a memory, something you read in a Cannith history of the development of the warforged. Long before they figured out how to make them self aware, they were training them for war as intelligent golemns. This one seems to have lost his higher functions and has reverted into a pure fighting construct. It's fortunate (though baffling) that that girl was able to talk him down. In this state he would only respond to threats and to the chain of command.

Winged One
2008-05-16, 05:22 PM
John lets out a low whistle when he realizes what's wrong with Noname. "How the khyber did he lose his self-awareness?" he asks Jinna. "If he...well, I guess he's an it now, poor bastard...considers you it's commanding officer, you might want to take it to the Canniths for repairs. I don't know if they can fix him, though...might require either a Raise Dead spell or some really heavy-duty necromancy, but it could just be that his soul is disconnected from his mind instead...I might be able to fix that myself." He addresses the...undead construct? "Unit designated Noname, will you submit to an attempt to repair your self-awareness functions?"

estradling
2008-05-16, 05:30 PM
He does get an aid diplomacy, and choking him off before he puts his foot in his mouth works for me.



As his throat closes Naberius says in his mind, "Not wise."

Once Cymran is over the surpirse he fires back, "You could have just said so!" He grabs the wine from the waiter.

"Yes, but where is the experience in that? I haven't had a host choke on me in a awhile.... Ahhh wine..." The vestige gets distracted by the favor. "You should have order the fish it looks good."

Cymran's body recovers and he listens to the rest of the story. "Surrender does seem to be the wisest course of action so far. The stopping sounds magical in nature, did you have anyone with magical talent on board? Also what was the makeup of the pirate crew and what did they take?"

cintain
2008-05-17, 11:28 PM
Limna

Limna walks over to the group, listening to John's questions and never taking her eyes off Noname.

Say, does anyone else think that we should do anything about those corpses before the authorities show up?

Karaswanton
2008-05-18, 12:08 AM
Micheal

No, they are the authorities for a reason. The incident must be reported, and processed by the courts.

Winged One
2008-05-18, 12:22 AM
"What cor...oh. ****." John says, eyes widening a bit as he notices the bodies. He looks in disbelief at Michael. "Um...do you not understand that symbol you're wearing? Most people who wear it would just murder him with a lot less justification than you have."

cintain
2008-05-18, 10:59 AM
Limna

Perplexed, Limna walks up to John.

Hi there, by the way, my name is Limna. Can you really do something about him? she asks, pointing at Noname. I tried talking to him earlier, but he was already acting weird a few hours ago. I have a bit of experience with Warforged myself, and had never see one act so... rigidly.

Maurkov
2008-05-18, 11:00 AM
It starts to rain again.

"Unit designated Noname, will you submit to an attempt to repair your self-awareness functions?"

"No.... Presumed enemy."

cintain
2008-05-18, 11:16 AM
Limna

At Noname's reply, Limna looks at him and takes a step forward.

How about me, Noname? It's me, Limna. We met earlier today, remember? Would you allow me to repair you? Jinna is my fr... er, she and I are in the same unit as you.

Winged One
2008-05-18, 03:30 PM
John opens his mouth to say something rude to answer Limna's question, but thinks better of it when she demonstrates that she was, in fact, listening. "To be honest, I have no idea if he can be fixed, or if we'd be able to do it even if it's possible. Maybe the Canniths could help him if we can't...but if the guards bother to show up, they'll probably kill him as soon as they hear 'insane warforged' if someone doesn't bribe them."

The_Snark
2008-05-18, 04:01 PM
Jinna

Well, people have stopped sticking sharp implements in one another. That's a plus. She avoids sighing in relief. "If one of you can help, we may as well try to do it. I'm not too keen on covering up a murder, but he's right, the guards don't much care for forged." She glances to Limna and then back to Noname.

"Noname," she addresses him levelly, "this man is a freelance mercenary. Should he agree to do a job for us, he should no longer be considered an enemy. Understood?"

Winged One
2008-05-19, 12:06 AM
John blinks. A Detect Thoughts spell wouldn't have told her my job unless she was using it on me before I saw Noname... "I see you've heard of me. I should have thought to tell him my job myself. Of course, I'm described as an adventurer more often, but I've always been of the opinion that those are just different words for the same profession."

OOCHe can't beat Jinna's Bluff check even on a natural 20, so I won't roll.

Maurkov
2008-05-19, 12:17 AM
From the corner of the causeway, you can see guardsmen mobilizing to the south. The ones in front have tower shields. They'll reach you in a minute or less.

"Understood. Catagory: Neutral. Martial. Spellcaster."
---

Aelowim nods. "We had a cleric of The Host with us. He said that the hull was radiating conjuration magic but that there was nothing he could do about it.

"I saw a lot of hobgoblins staring down at us. Only two humans came aboard, though. They were Audairan by the look of them. Expendible, I guess. They could barely navigate a gang plank. They were pretty disappointed looking through our manifests. We had some choice loot for pirates on the way to Moonwatch-- military gear of all sorts. On the way back, though, I was carrying fifteen tons of fruit. (Sharn can't feed itself, you know.) They took a few crates of that, the grog, some coin. Rope and canvas, and probably most expensive to replace, they took all my charts and maps.

"Any other questions I might answer? I could use some dessert."

estradling
2008-05-19, 10:45 AM
With a nod Cymran waves the waiter over so Aelowin can order his dessert, while Cymran writes down the details. Once the order is placed he asks, "How often do you travel that route? And how many people know about your trips?"

Maurkov
2008-05-20, 02:47 PM
Aelowim traces his spoon through the crushed raspberries adorning his baked pear, drawing a heavy sigh from Naberius.

"The Concern is a tiny outfit. Breyland has a lot more leverage over us than they do over Lyrander (or Orien), so they can dictate whatever bizarre security arrangements they can dream up. More than once I've received my itinerary half a league out of port. Sealed cargo. I've taken Dark Lanterns... places.

"Well, the trip to Moonwatch wasn't that special and the return wasn't special at all. I couldn't tell you who all knew about it since that's all handled by the office. I believe my ship was a target of opportunity, and as it turned out, a poor one."

Winged One
2008-05-20, 03:09 PM
John puts his mace away, pulls the hood of his cloak up, and pulls the rest of the cloak around him. He doesn't seem to have noticed the guards mobilizing, and in fact seems to have only just now realized it's started raining again.

Karaswanton
2008-05-21, 12:24 PM
Micheal

The guards may not care much for our kind, but that doesn't change the circumstances.


Erp. Paladin=party-pooper.

Winged One
2008-05-21, 03:04 PM
"Wha- yes it does!" John shouts. "They're going to kill him if we don't get him out of here before they show up, you idiot! How the **** does that not change the circumstances?! Did you come here from Karrnath or something? 'Cause here in Breland, we don't kill everyone we can so that the necromancers can make more zombies."

OOCSorry that John's such a ****. But paladin also means someone who tries to save lives whenever possible.

cintain
2008-05-21, 04:25 PM
Limna

Limna watches the argument between John and Michael with wide eyes. Her glance keeps darting back to Noname, who for all practical intents and purposes appears to be just standing there. Finally, she interrupts by standing right in front of John.

I see with delight that we share our concern for the welfare of Warforged, but unless you can stop arguing with Michael about our course of action, we are all going to have a lot to answer for, and I for one would rather not.

So can it.

Any ideas on how to fix him? she says, pointing at Noname. Her glance shifts briefly to Jinna, as if looking for reassurance or support.

Limna walks up to Noname slowly, deliberately, making slow movements and looking at him straight in the eyes. Noname, please let me inspect you more closely. I want to help you.

Winged One
2008-05-21, 05:03 PM
John nods. "If this is caused by some kind of physical damage, a regular repair spell or infusion might fix him. If that doesn't work, we'll have to take him to the Canniths and see if they can help him."

The_Snark
2008-05-21, 06:30 PM
Jinna

"They're already showing up," Jinna says dryly. "Unless you feel like fleeing a crime scene, I think we're stuck with explaining. Just let me do the talking." She draws her cloak about herself, raising the hood. Partly to keep the rain off; mostly, to keep her slight change in attire from being noticed. Nothing drastic, no change that would attract immediate attention, but her clothes now looked slightly better-made, the sort of thing a respectable merchant's daughter might wear. Somebody, in short, with a little money to them.

Winged One
2008-05-21, 06:43 PM
"They are?" John asks, looking around. When he notices the guards, he says "Damn. Okay, I'll keep quiet. You should probably rephrase that to 'don't talk unless I tell you to' for Noname, though."

Karaswanton
2008-05-21, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=Winged One;4351198]"Wha- yes it does!" John shouts. "They're going to kill him if we don't get him out of here before they show up, you idiot! How the **** does that not change the circumstances?! Did you come here from Karrnath or something? 'Cause here in Breland, we don't kill everyone we can so that the necromancers can make more zombies."



I come from Cyre, just like all the other warforged. I was trained in Karnath so I may have a more dire personality than your average 'forged. Especially the paladin ones.

And you're the one operating under the assumption they'll kill him on sight. I think we can explain the situation and have him safely locked up, or repaired if need be.



Noname has already established himself as the kind of 'forged that responds with lethal force regardless of the type of force employed against him. Micheal would probably see him as a murderer, and might not have a big issue if Noname was executed. But then, Micheal is kind of a hardass.

cintain
2008-05-21, 09:15 PM
Limna

I think I might have the repair thing covered, says Limna with a childish smile. All right, Noname, you have in all likelihood received this kind of help before...

Limna brings her hand up to Noname's chest, cupping it slightly so that her fingertips and the base of her palm touch the Warforged. A purplish white light seems to glow under her cupped hand.

Repair Light Damage for [roll0]

As soon as the glow fades, Limna steps back and brings her cloak around her and her hood over her head. She moves over to where John is and stands behind him, tilting her head down to appear smaller than she is.

Limna will alter her appearance to seem about 1' shorter, and change her hair color to golden and make her skin fairer, almost white.

The_Snark
2008-05-22, 12:27 AM
Jinna

Jinna nods to John. Smart thinking. "Noname, remain silent until I indicate otherwise, please. You'd better keep quiet too," she adds to Micheal. Her accent has a subtly different tone, slightly more upper-class; the difference between common and aristocratic inflection isn't as big in Breland as it is other places, but it's there. "Some people really don't like warforged." Not to mention you're acting a little naive about this, and we might have to stretch the truth some. Hope you didn't fix him too fast, Lim... that'll make everything a lot harder to explain.

She turns towards the slowly approaching guards, beckoning them over as if impatient.

Maurkov
2008-05-22, 01:48 AM
Noname resists being touched. Jinna's disapproving look has no effect on Noname, but when she tells him to submit, he does so instantly*. The infusion has no perceptible effect. Noname remains a creature without volition. To fully comprehend his condition is going to take a lab and possibly a research library. Never the most stable, is he insane? Or is it a metaphysical problem? Has his soul been sequestered or departed? There's no time to tell.

The watchmen advance. As they pass the dead sailors, two of the second rank break off to examine the scene. The rest fan out to surround your position. One calls out, "Warforged! You are under arrest. Drop to your knees. Drop to the ground." The man steps closer. He's bearing an officer's insignia. He is armored and is holding the charge on some baleful spell. To your surprise, perhaps, Noname complies.

cintain
2008-05-22, 09:46 AM
Limna

Limna gasps, covering her mouth. Before she can help herself, she clings to John's arm and cowers, looking even smaller.

Oh Gods! What are they going to do to him? she whispers. Are they going to kill him?

estradling
2008-05-22, 12:44 PM
Aelowim traces his spoon through the crushed raspberries adorning his baked pear, drawing a heavy sigh from Naberius.

"The Concern is a tiny outfit. Breyland has a lot more leverage over us than they do over Lyrander (or Orien), so they can dictate whatever bizarre security arrangements they can dream up. More than once I've received my itinerary half a league out of port. Sealed cargo. I've taken Dark Lanterns... places.

"Well, the trip to Moonwatch wasn't that special and the return wasn't special at all. I couldn't tell you who all knew about it since that's all handled by the office. I believe my ship was a target of opportunity, and as it turned out, a poor one."

Cymran continues to take notes as Aelowim eats and talks. When he finishes the young man nods his head in understanding. He was out of questions. He was also sure he would think of a half dozen more once he was headed back to the others. That was the nature of such things. "Thank you for your time Aelowim."

Winged One
2008-05-22, 03:04 PM
John blushes a bit under his hood and whispers back, "Jinna knows what she's doing. Just calm down and go along with what she says." I just hope she catches on to the fact that this thing that used to be Noname seems to just obey all orders instead of just the ones in it's chain of command like I thought.

Karaswanton
2008-05-23, 08:39 AM
Micheal

Micheal simply watches the scene, somewhat relieved that the law has decided to show up.

Maurkov
2008-05-23, 09:36 AM
"I said, down!" He's looking at Michael now.

Karaswanton
2008-05-23, 11:05 AM
Micheal

Micheal rolls his eyes, but complies without comment.

Maurkov
2008-05-23, 11:55 AM
((I didn't know warforged could do that.))

Watchmen scuttle forward to manacle the warforged. Only then does their leader dismiss the spell he's holding. "I am watch sergeant Shiraga. Who is going to tell me what happened here?" Other watchmen are collecting evidence.

Shiraga is in his element. He ignores the rain and concentrates on the witnesses. Only occasionally does he spare a glance to see the progress his men are making.

---

Aelowim was quite thorough with lunch, but neither does he neglect his narrative. "I wanted to fight, but I'm not willing to gamble my sailors' lives. These 'pirates' were armatures that could barely steer their ship, but we were stuck and they had a ram. They would have hit us eventually.

"So I gave them the goods and they sailed north. They received my full cooperation, but they still didn't release our ship until the next day."

estradling
2008-05-23, 01:48 PM
((I didn't know warforged could do that.))

Aelowim was quite thorough with lunch, but neither does he neglect his narrative. "I wanted to fight, but I'm not willing to gamble my sailors' lives. These 'pirates' were armatures that could barely steer their ship, but we were stuck and they had a ram. They would have hit us eventually.

"So I gave them the goods and they sailed north. They received my full cooperation, but they still didn't release our ship until the next day."

Cymran nods, "There was nothing amateurish about whatever it was that held you in place. Maybe this is a sign that the pirates are expanding their numbers and your ship was used as a test run for new recruits?" It was more of thinking out loud then a real question. "Once they built up the reputation, holding the ship fast would be the only demonstration of force most senseable people would need to surrender."

Karaswanton
2008-05-23, 07:52 PM
Micheal


I'll let someone who isn't being accused make an official statement--but I have a fleshraker mount tied up near here named Solomon. It would probably be a good idea to bring him with us--he might be getting hungry soon.


[roll0]

The_Snark
2008-05-26, 04:10 AM
Jinna

So it obeys people it recognizes as ranking officers. That's good to know. She straightens, addressing the sergeant. "I'm sorry to say I wasn't close enough when it happened to hear anything, sergeant. I was on the bridge over there when I saw some men moving towards the warforged, and then the fight broke out." She frowns in the direction of the bodies, and then at the forged. "I had recently retained the two of them as guards, and left them at the docks while I attended to other business, but the man I left with them to keep them out of trouble seems to have run off." Her voice, which had previously been rather serious, becomes heated, as if she intends to give him the sharp side of her tongue later.

Maurkov
2008-05-27, 12:10 AM
"It was a good trick, all right. Thanks for lunch." Aelowim gets up to leave.

OOC: 2 gp plus tip.

---

Another watchman checks your papers. Meanwhile, the officer looks down at Michael. "When I want a confession, I'll beat it out of you*."

To the others he says, "Don't worry. This won't take long."

He listens to Jinna's tale. "Uh huh. So you saw it start? Who hit who?"


OOC: It's hard for me to leave the error in place, even in dialog.
*Sense Motive DC21:He's lying.

Karaswanton
2008-05-27, 08:53 AM
Micheal


Sense Motive
1d20+2

Well, I threw the first punches, but the sailors made it patently obvious that they intended to start. Curse my idealism!

estradling
2008-05-27, 09:30 AM
"It was a good trick, all right. Thanks for lunch." Aelowim gets up to leave.

OOC: 2 gp plus tip.




"You are more then welcome." Cymran lets the merchant go, while he takes a bit to finish up his note. Then he pays for the lunch before heading out himself. It was time to meet up with the others and let them know what he found.


Pays 2gp and leaves a 2 sp tip

Maurkov
2008-05-28, 10:27 PM
A watchman tugs on Shiraga's sleeve. "Excuse me."

The two step aside and speak at some length. They glance meaningfully at the dead sailors. They glance meaningfully at the prone warforged. Shiraga returns.

To Michael he says, "You're in luck. None of the dead ones have wounds your weapons could have caused."

To Noname he says, "You're ****ed."

To Jinna he says, "How much did you pay this one?"

Another watchman removes the manacles from Michael, and catching a glance from Shiraga, and helps Michael to his feet.

"You can go," he says (to everyone but Noname). "Or you can stay and make statements."

The_Snark
2008-05-29, 05:32 AM
Jinna

Jinna is caught between the possibility that she might be able to get the guards to reimburse her for Noname's supposed salary and the solid knowledge that she hadn't given him money and he would say so if they asked. She plays it safe. "He hadn't received his salary yet, Sergeant," she replies, "but it was to be three gold pieces each week. It came rather well reccomended." She frowns at it.

"Actually, Sergeant..." She lowers her voice a little after a glance at Noname, not sure how it would react to being told it wasn't working right. It didn't seem likely that it would suddenly stop submitting to authority, though. "They think it's not right in the head, and I'm inclined to agree. This man knows a little about warforged," she gestures to John, "and he thinks it might be something they can repair." She offers it conversationally, shrugging at the end. The sergeant clearly didn't much care for warforged (or he was just one of those watchmen who went in for beatings), but if he was being fair-minded enough to let one of them go on the spot just because there wasn't evidence, it was worth mentioning.

cintain
2008-05-29, 07:06 PM
Limna

Still clinging to John's arm, Limna looks at the scene with wide, childish eyes...

Oh, Gods... I hate seeing Warforged treated like that. One of my best friends is one, she whispers. I wonder who's going to take his place now... I suppose we could split his part amongst ourselves, but we'd be one less strong against those pirates...

She looks up at John. On the other hand, I suppose we could use someone else who knows about Warforged. Would you like to come?

Winged One
2008-05-29, 08:19 PM
And the definitive sign that it's one of those days appears. John thinks sardonically. "Yes, I would. Thank you." he whispers back to Limna. Whether it's because he's a decent person at heart, he's doing it to impress Limna, or he just doesn't want to deal with the guilt of not doing all he can to help a warforged in front of someone like her(John personally suspects a combination of the latter two), John says to Jinna "If I have your permission, I feel that it is my duty to stay here for long enough to make a statement to these officers about the nature of Noname's condition."

OOCJohn is not deceiving anyone. He does feel obligated to do what he can to get Noname treated for his damage instead of executed(although admittedly he'd normally give serious consideration to shirking from said responsibility), he thinks Jinna is the group's leader, he now considers himself part of the group and therefore subordinate to Jinna(so he'd need to ask for permission), and after her displays of good sense he respects her enough to be polite. Therefore, I don't think a Bluff check is needed, except maybe an Aid Another for Jinna's Bluff checks.

Karaswanton
2008-05-29, 10:12 PM
Micheal

I can make a statement as well if you'd like. I'm going to go check on Solomon first though, he probably heard the commotion.

To Linna:
That's mostly standard procedure for arresting alleged criminals. Don't worry about me, I'm a big boy. *wink* we can try to help out Noname with our testimonies to his altered mental state.

The_Snark
2008-05-29, 10:27 PM
Jinna

"Go ahead," she says to John, keeping an eye on the sergeant to see how he's receiving this.

Jinna shares some of those sentiments. She's not really sure what should happen with Noname—it's not like madmen who murder people aren't executed, after all—but she might feel guilty about letting them kill him without telling them. Even more so if Limna revealed how she felt about it. And she definitely shares the second opinion, too. :smallwink:

Maurkov
2008-05-29, 10:54 PM
"They think it's not right in the head, and I'm inclined to agree."

"Um. Right."


"and he thinks it might be something they can repair."

"I'm going to have an uninterested party examine him, actually. I need to rule out possession and enchantment." He looks around casually, but not so casually that it isn't clear he is hoping someone will act guilty.

"But please," he says to John, "tell me your impression."

((Cymran can arrive when you're ready.))

Winged One
2008-05-29, 11:23 PM
John faces the officer and says, "Noname seems to be acting like the war golems that were used before the Canniths figured out how to make self-aware warforged. He only responds to orders or threats in this state, as far as I can tell. I think he somehow lost his self-awareness, and acted on either some standing order that either an owner during the Last War or the Canniths gave him or perceived the people he killed as a threat somehow, and didn't classify the law as orders. In other words, he's lost his free will, but literally instead of having it overridden like enchantment or possession would do." Something occurs to him, and he adds, "One way to confirm it could be to try to read his mind. If I'm right, it might show that he doesn't have a mind at all. Then again, he seems to have intelligence in this state, just not the ability to disobey orders or fail to respond to threats without orders to do so."

estradling
2008-05-30, 09:14 AM
Having gotten the information he was after, Cymran walks back to where he left the Warforged. He is still some distance away when he notices the watch and that something very wrong had happened.

Not sure as to what had happened he hangs out around the edges with the rest of the crowd.

Maurkov
2008-06-01, 07:58 PM
Shiraga seems impressed. "We'll give him a thorough going over."

When Michael goes to check on his dinosaur, Cyrman (still in disguise?) can intercept him.

estradling
2008-06-01, 08:51 PM
Seeing a chance to learn what is going on Cymran joins Micheal at his 'pet.'

Dropping his disguse so Micheal will know who he is he asks the paladin, "WHAT HAPPENED!" his voice urgent but not very loud.

Karaswanton
2008-06-02, 07:46 PM
Micheal

We were threatened by some sailors, Noname over-reacted with lethal force and now the police are involved. I'm just on my way to get Solomon and then go back.

estradling
2008-06-03, 09:40 AM
Cymran

It takes a bit for the info to sink in. From the distance in the rain he couldn't make out who was who exactly. The guards were recognizable, so was Noname. There were three others. Whom he couldn't make out. Given that one of his party was a shapeshifter and the other might have gift or magic like he did, meant that there was at least one unknown if not three.

"How many of our team is here and what is our plan."

Karaswanton
2008-06-04, 10:25 AM
Micheal

Jinna, Limna, myself, and Noname are all present. As is John, who helped out somewhat in the situation.

cintain
2008-06-04, 01:24 PM
Limna

Limna looks at John with an irresistible mixture of admiration and shyness, then looks over at Jinna and waits until no one is looking, then smiles.

Limna surveys the scene, unsure of what is happening next.

Maurkov
2008-06-04, 05:35 PM
The authorities are busy hauling off bodies and interviewing other witnesses. Noname cuts a tragic figure, ignored, face down in the rain.


OOC: I think Michael was still going to make a statement. You are free to go. It is mid afternoon.

So... what is your next move?

Karaswanton
2008-06-04, 07:27 PM
Micheal

Micheal went to fetch Solomon and returns to Noname's location, as it is the scene of the crime--and where the authorities were the last time he knew.

Where'd everyone go? Did they just leave you here?

Maurkov
2008-06-04, 08:20 PM
((Sorry, that was misleading. They're still there, around and are doing things, but they haven't hauled him off yet, nor even ordered him to his feet.))

cintain
2008-06-04, 10:16 PM
Limna

Making certain to draw as little attention from the guards as possible, Limna hooks her arm around John's and strides over to where Jinna is (gently dragging the Artificer along), a sheepish smile on her face.

Look, Jinn. I found a replacement for Noname. He won't go berserk on us I don't think. Shall we get going? I think I saw the other guy in our group... what was his name? Cymran, I think? back there in the crowd. Perhaps we should regroup and decide what we're doing now...

The_Snark
2008-06-05, 04:30 AM
Jinna

Jinna glances over John briefly. She hadn't missed Limna's impressed look earlier, and had to admit that while she was ignorant in magical matters, his diagnosis of the warforged had sounded pretty good to her. To the guardsman, too, apparently, and more importantly to Limna. That's right, she's been interested in that sort of stuff lately; warforged and magewrights and the like.

More to the point, his response to a rampaging warforged was to draw a weapon and try to stop it, which was probably brave but also rather stupid in her view. That was precisely the sort of person she needed right about now, though, and probably the only sort of person willing to hire on and go pirate hunting. She gives Limna a tiny approving nod.

"Sergeant," she calls, raising her voice enough to be heard over the rain and stepping towards Shiraga, "if you have no further need of us, we'll be taking our leave now."