PDA

View Full Version : New Spell + Feat (Espior's Currency Exchange/ Tenacious Scholar

Saucy_Ninja
2008-02-05, 01:47 AM
Espior's Currency Exchange

Brd 1/ Assn 1/ [Travel] Domain 1

Exchanges any amount currency you own into an equal amount of currency of tier and country of your choosing. You neither gain nor lose any worth in the currency when exchanged across countries.

Discuss.

Please, be gentle. My first time posting up anything homebrew here. :smalleek:

Saucy_Ninja
2008-02-05, 01:49 AM
Also:

New Feat

Tenacious Scholar.

Prerequisites:

6 ranks in any one knowledge skill. Int 15. At least 1 rank in 3 additional Knowledge skills.

Bonus: Works as Versatile Performer feat, only for 3 additional Knowledge skills as the player chooses.

Lakoda
2008-02-05, 09:25 AM

Brd 1/ Assn 1/ [Travel] Domain 1

Exchanges any amount currency you own into an equal amount of currency of tier and country of your choosing. You neither gain nor lose any worth in the currency when exchanged across countries.

Bards spells tend towards illusion more then transmutation. The spell could temporarily place an illusion on currency currently held to be of the same value of the new region. I would go the illusion route for three reasons, one of which I already mentioned (it fits into the bard's spell list better).

The other two reasons are more on the fluff side. {edit: this all assumes that your campaign is fairly similar to a generic dnd setting, if it isn't just ignore it} In a large amount of campaigns. gold is generally used as the monetary standard, with the only real difference being which region cast the coin thus embedding it with their mark. It isn't like there is a relatively worthless material which represents a monetary value like with real world monies.

Now, with that in mind, why would a bard (and assassin) want to change monies, if it is all still gold pieces (or silver, copper, or platinum), and it still has the same value. Chances are high that that they mearly want to hide where it came from. And why would you want to hide it's origins? Probably political reasons that the DM has added to the campaign. So to avoid trivializing a story element the DM worked so hard on, lets put some excitement into it.

With the spell as an illusion that only last so long and has a DC to see through it. Now you get the utility required and some fun without squashing the DM's hard work. That is all assuming that you find fun in suspenseful gaming scenes with the potential of getting caught.

An example of such a change:

{table]Illusion|(Glamer)
Level:|Brd 1/ Assn 1/ [Travel] Domain 1
Components:|V, S
Casting Time:|1 standard action
Range:|Touch
Target:|Currency Touched, total weight not to exceed 1 lb. (50 coins)
Duration:|1 hr./level (D)
Saving Throw:|Will disbelief (if interacted with)[/table]
Upon touching the coins their appearance changes to look like the local currency of another region; though their value remains the same.

I don't know much about the assassin PrC, but his spells seem to be utility based for his craft, for which I could see a spell like this belonging, regardless of if it is a transmutation or an illusion.

Now all that being said I could also see this being a second level spell (as an illusion or a transmutation) though I'm not good with spell balance.

The feat seems sound though I am unfamiliar with the Versatile Performer feat.

Good work, and keep posting!

jagadaishio
2008-02-05, 09:49 AM
It seems closer to the level of a cantrip than that of a first level spell. Just because of how specific the circumstances it can be applied in is and how little of a change or effect actually occurs.

Saucy_Ninja
2008-02-05, 05:16 PM
Tanks for the suggestions.

My friends and I actually typically play in Forgotten Realms, so we thought this spell would prove especially useful fluff wise. It all started out when we found 1,300 gold pieces worth in copper pieces. Couldn't carry it all with us. =P

Kai-Palin
2008-02-05, 09:26 PM
Bards spells tend towards illusion more then transmutation. The spell could temporarily place an illusion on currency currently held to be of the same value of the new region. I would go the illusion route for three reasons, one of which I already mentioned (it fits into the bard's spell list better).

The other two reasons are more on the fluff side. {edit: this all assumes that your campaign is fairly similar to a generic dnd setting, if it isn't just ignore it} In a large amount of campaigns. gold is generally used as the monetary standard, with the only real difference being which region cast the coin thus embedding it with their mark. It isn't like there is a relatively worthless material which represents a monetary value like with real world monies.

Now, with that in mind, why would a bard (and assassin) want to change monies, if it is all still gold pieces (or silver, copper, or platinum), and it still has the same value. Chances are high that that they mearly want to hide where it came from. And why would you want to hide it's origins? Probably political reasons that the DM has added to the campaign. So to avoid trivializing a story element the DM worked so hard on, lets put some excitement into it.

With the spell as an illusion that only last so long and has a DC to see through it. Now you get the utility required and some fun without squashing the DM's hard work. That is all assuming that you find fun in suspenseful gaming scenes with the potential of getting caught.

Nope, this should definitely remain a transmutation spell, although I could swear I've seen it somewhere in the Spell Compendium or a Dragon book. Bards, with their spell focus on sonic magic, illusions, enchantments, and interaction spells, should definately get this, but in all honesty it really ought to remain a transmutation spell.

As for assassin, while it could be useful, the assassin's very limited number of spells known renders this far less useful than just about any other 1st level assassin spell. It probably shouldn't be on their list. Wizards & sorcerors, on the other hand, should probably be able to use this, as they do most of the heavy transmutation in most D&D worlds. Also, since it was given a creator name, it implies that the spell was made or tailored by some person named Espior, which implies that it was made by a wizard, the only class that really crafts spells that are then named after the crafter.

While it would certainly be more of a plot point to have your money not be "real", the point of spells usually is to facilitate doing something for the group, not make issues.

Lakoda
2008-02-06, 08:59 AM
Nope, this should definitely remain a transmutation spell, although I could swear I've seen it somewhere in the Spell Compendium or a Dragon book. Bards, with their spell focus on sonic magic, illusions, enchantments, and interaction spells, should definately get this, but in all honesty it really ought to remain a transmutation spell.

First, I think you're right; I remember something like this as well. Second, what's an interaction spell? I'm unfamiliar with this category of spells. Also, how does it fitting in to that category imply it should be a transmutation spell?

While it would certainly be more of a plot point to have your money not be "real", the point of spells usually is to facilitate doing something for the group, not make issues.

It would appear we have differing playing styles. :smallbiggrin:

My friends and I actually typically play in Forgotten Realms, so we thought this spell would prove especially useful fluff wise. It all started out when we found 1,300 gold pieces worth in copper pieces. Couldn't carry it all with us. =P

I would suggest then, making another spell to actually combine coins (1000cp=1pp sort of thing) to facilitate being carried. I wouldn't allow the changing of region and I'd make it a 0lvl has it is purely to make the game run smoother.