PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a DS virgin? (wrong forum, mods please move)

banjo1985
2008-02-05, 10:33 AM
I've finally given into general opinion and perr pressure and bought a DS. Thing is, I'm not a handheld gamer, so I really don't know what's worth getting and what isn't.

So, I was wondering what the DS users of the playground would recommend in terms of tasty new games to get. I'm an RPG and racing fan, and turn based strategy also fills me with a fuzzy warmth that is probably unhealthy :smallbiggrin:

I have Mario Kart and Advance Wars at the moment, any more suggestions would be appreciated!

EDIT: I had a brain fart...apologies for this being in the wrong thread...I'll get it moved!

Admiral Squish
2008-02-05, 10:37 AM
You can't have a nintendoid hand-held system without at least owning the latest incarnation of pokemon. It's your solemn duty as a DS owner to go out and buy it.

Mando Knight
2008-02-05, 10:40 AM
This really isn't the right forum for this, you should PM a mod to get this moved to Gaming (Other Games).

Anyway, Pokemon gets disparaged a lot for being a little kid's game, thanks to the anime being dubbed by 4Kids for way too long... but it's as involving an RPG as most I've played, and doesn't skimp on the strategic end of party/gear selection. There's even a GitP Pokemon League forming if you're interested...

Some of the Final Fantasy games are being remade for the DS, you may want to look into that... as well as F-Zero... Fire Emblem DS will be released somewhere in the foreseeable future...

PollyOliver
2008-02-05, 10:51 AM
I still play Pokemon too, though I'm several years above the target demographic. Pearl was cute, and quite fun, and the underground tunneling/treasure hunting game is a a relaxing little option. I called it quits once I filled in the Pokedex though; I'm no longer willing to put in the effort to breed and EV train to battle my brother.

You might consider picking up Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass. It's good, but you do a lot of obnoxious backtracking to get from one place to the next.

dungeon_munky
2008-02-05, 11:39 AM
Yeah, yeah, you have to get Pokemon and all that. Though I havent finished Diamond yet... well, as fun as Pokemon is, the real game you MUST invest in is Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney. Start with the first one and go on to "Justice for All" and "Trials and Tribulations." Seriously one of the best things out there.