PDA

View Full Version : Arena Tournament, Round 29: Chile I vs. Skrag

ArenaManager
2008-02-06, 02:23 PM
Arena Tournament, Round 29: Chile I vs. Skrag

Map:http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z123/TheChilliGod/Giantitp/Arena4ii.gif

Extra notes: Houses are on average 20 feet high (just use that average figure all over the house), hay piles are up to 10 feet high against the walls. And, I don't care whether you're immune to sanctuary effects, you are not immune to the arena's sanctuary effect. Creatures summoned during the 1st round are also affected by the sanctuary effect.

XP Award: 300 XP
GP Award: 300 GP

chilepepper - Chili I (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=7485)
Talic - Skrag (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=2946)

All Combatants, please roll initiative.

chilepepper
2008-02-06, 06:04 PM
Initiative
[roll0]

Talic
2008-02-07, 03:35 PM
Initiative:
[roll0]
Hooray, bad initiative. Your go, Sir Chile.

chilepepper
2008-02-08, 01:28 AM
Chile I starts in W11 with a glass vial in each hand. Bowing to his opponent he quaffs one of the potions (standard action) and moves (move action) to Q19 disappearing behind the building.

for refs

... finishing my move at M18. Having quaffed the Potion of Expeditious Retreat, that's a 70' move action. I drop prone and drop the empty vial (free actions). This leaves the potion of cure light wounds in my other hand. Finally I hide. [roll0]

stats for refs

HP: 6
AC: 18, Touch 15, Flat 13
Prone (AC -4 vs Melee, +4 vs Ranged)
Expeditious Retreat: 1/10 rounds
Current Position: M18, hiding

end of turn

Talic
2008-02-08, 03:33 AM
Skrag, Round 1

Skrag shrugs at the vanished opponent, and begins his move. Based on your sight of me prior to leaving...

I start in C10.

For Refs:

Hmm. W11 to Q19, that's more than 40 feet. Makes sense, considering the potion of expeditious retreat. That could put him all the way to A20, if he wanted.

Heavy Crossbow in hand, I Double move to D3.
Hide. (Free action, part of 2nd move)
Hide Check: [roll0]

Reflexive spot and listen for the round:
Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

Stats for Refs:

HP: 8/8
AC=18; Touch=16; Flat foot=13
Current location: Hiding in D3

chilepepper
2008-02-08, 05:51 AM
If you're done...

Round 2 - The thunderous voice from the heavens yells "Draw!" and the Sanctuary effect is lifted.

for refs

I invoke All Seeing Eyes gaining +6 to search and spot for 24 hours. (standard action)
Reactive Spot [roll0]
Reactive Listen [roll1]

stats for refs

Expeditious Retreat: 2/10 rounds
Current Position: M18, hiding (check=22)
All Seeing Eyes invoked +6 spot and search

Done

Seribro
2008-02-08, 06:30 AM
chile 1
no LoS

Skrag
no LoS

Talic
2008-02-08, 04:47 PM
I was done, sorry 'bout that.
For Refs:

Move to H1 (Move Action), Hiding [roll0]
Ready an action, Fire crossbow if LoS is established within 1 range increment.

Reflexive Spot and Listen for the round:

Stats for refs:

Current location: Hiding in H1

Done.

Seribro
2008-02-08, 07:21 PM
chile 1
no LoS

Skrag
no LoS

chilepepper
2008-02-09, 10:31 AM
Round 3

for refs

Two move actions:
Stand from Prone
Move silently while hiding to J20 to see to J1 and A20
Move Silent [roll0]
Hide [roll1]
Reactive Spot [roll2]

If I don't see him, then I'll finish my move at H20.

For his turn:
Reactive Spot [roll3]
Reactive Listen [roll4]

If I do see him, I may alter my move.

stats for refs

Expeditious Retreat: 3/10 rounds
Current Position: moving from N18 to J20, possible to H20

Not done, waiting for LoS check.

Paladin Latham
2008-02-09, 10:46 AM
chile 1
no LoS

Skrag
no LoS

chilepepper
2008-02-09, 12:28 PM
Done.

stats for refs

Expeditious Retreat: 3/10 rounds
Current Position: H20, hiding

Talic
2008-02-09, 01:43 PM
For Refs:

Full Round Action: Run to Z1.
Hide: [roll0]

Stats for Refs

Just realized, reflexive checks are better here, in case he sees me and gets peeking privileges.

Current location: Hiding in Z1

Done.

chilepepper
2008-02-09, 02:03 PM
Round 4

for refs

Assuming I saw or heard nothing during his turn...
Move silently while hiding to A20
Move silent [roll0]
Hide [roll1]
Reactive Spot [roll2]

If I don't see him...
Double move to A13

If I do see him down the A line, I'll ready an action to Eldritch blast him if he gets in range.

stats for refs

Expeditious Retreat: 4/10 rounds
Current Position: either A20 or A13 depending on the LoS, hiding

Done, but wait for the LoS check, then go.

Paladin Latham
2008-02-09, 02:38 PM
chile 1
no LoS. At either point.

Skrag
no LoS

Talic
2008-02-09, 02:49 PM
For Refs:

Double Move to Z6, Using half move so as to not take a -5 to Hide.
Hide: [roll0]
Move Silent: [roll1]

Stats for Refs:

Current location: Hiding in Z6
Spot: [roll2]
Listen: [roll3]

Should be done, wait for LOS though.

Mavian
2008-02-09, 02:55 PM
@Talic

You see your opponent in A13

@Chile

No LoS

Talic
2008-02-09, 02:57 PM
Done. You're up, Sir Chile.

chilepepper
2008-02-09, 04:55 PM
Round 5

for refs

Full move to B1 taking -5 to hide and move silent
Hide [roll0]
Move Silent [roll1]
Reactive Spot [roll2]

If I see him (hopefully in the hay) I'll blast him.
Ranged Touch Attack [1d20+5]
Damage [1d6]

If I don't see him in the hay, I'll assume he's moving about and I'll hide in the hay at F3, drop prone, and wait for him.
Hide [1d20+15]
Reactive Spot for his turn [1d20+18]

stats for refs

Prone: +4 AC versus ranged, -4 AC versus melee
Expeditious Retreat: 5/10 rounds
Current Position: either B1 attacking, or F3 hiding

chilepepper
2008-02-09, 05:12 PM
Forgot to add...

Need an LoS check and then you may go.

Morbius
2008-02-09, 05:48 PM
Ref Morbius

chilepepper

No LoS, also I should warn you that if you drop prone in the hay you won't have LoS to outside of your square

Talic

You see your opponent moving north and lose sight of him behind the last building

chilepepper
2008-02-09, 06:16 PM
at refs

okay, scratch the dropping prone part then, didn't realize this would be a problem

Go ahead.

Talic
2008-02-09, 10:29 PM
At Refs:

Double move Move to R7, If Los is established, then stop, otherwise, continue move to P4.
Hide [roll0]
Move Silent [roll1]

Stats for Refs

Current location: Hiding in either R7 or P4

Edit: Need LoS, then your go.

Morbius
2008-02-09, 11:11 PM
Ref Morbius[/B]

chilepepper

No LoS

Talic

No LoS

chilepepper
2008-02-10, 12:01 AM
Round 6

to refs, read first

So I'm playing in Maptools at the same time I'm posting and I realized I formatted my rolls following the Maptools rules which doesn't work in forums so I edited and changed it to forum format, but obviously the forum roller doesn't recognize it to stop cheating, I just wanted to make sure a ref knows I'm not trying to cheat before I type out a fresh post for the rolls. If I can get an ok, I'll let my opponent know what I did and actually do the rolls.

refs

Stay hidden, ready an action to blast on LoS.
Reactive Spot 1d20+18
Reactive Listen 1d20+8
Ranged Touch Attack (possibly flatfooted since I'm hidden) 1d20+5
Damage 1d6

stats for refs

Expeditious Retreat: 6/10 rounds
Current Position: F3 hiding

edit: not done

Mavian
2008-02-10, 12:20 AM
High Ref Mav:

@Chile

Since your rolls didn't work there is no problem with you rerolling them in a new post. This occasionally happens to us all, and the common thing to do is just make an new post with the rolls and an explanation.

chilepepper
2008-02-10, 12:42 AM
Okay, sorry Talic, I just royally screwed up my roll formatting and I wanted refs to know.

refs (just a reprint)

Reactive Spot [roll0]
Reactive Listen [roll1]
Ranged Touch Attack (possibly flatfooted since I'm hidden) [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

stats for refs (ditto)

Expeditious Retreat: 6/10 rounds

Go ahead.

Talic
2008-02-10, 08:45 AM
It's ok, happens to the best of us.

Now that we've gotten that behind us, I'm going to get back to the task of killing you now.

For Refs:

Move from P4 to J3. (move action)
Then, move from J3 to J2. Hiding [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]

Stats for Refs:
Current location: Hiding in J2.

Done, but wait for LoS.

Morbius
2008-02-10, 09:31 AM
Ref Morbius

chilepepper

No LoS

Talic

No LoS

chilepepper
2008-02-10, 06:36 PM
Round 7

You're not doing a very good job of killing me yet.

for refs

Reactive Spot [roll0]
Reactive Listen [roll1]
Ranged Touch Att. (poss. vs. flatfooted since I'm hidden) [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

stats for refs

Expeditious Retreat: 7/10 rounds

Your turn.

Talic
2008-02-10, 08:37 PM
Well, based on the amount of this place I've searched, you've gotta either be moving the same way as me, opposite side, or you're camping. Lemme find ya, and we'll see. As they say where my gobbo comes from... Step one of winning is not losing.

for Refs:

Move from J2 to G1, hiding. [roll0]. Based on LoS:

If LoS established within 15 feet (even at 5 feet, as he has no weapon that can deliver an AoO), ready an action to shoot (trigger: opponent performing ANY action).
If LoS established 20 or more feet, move F2, go prone for total concealment, Hide [roll1].
If no LoS established, Ready an action to shoot if LoS established within 30 feet.

Rules question for refs:

I'm about 75% sure he's somewhere in this hay area. If he were in the hay, and not in F2, would a 5 foot step from G1 to F2 cause me to lose my hide? I'm moving from cover to cover, just wanted to know the ruling before I attempted it.

Stats for refs:

Current location: Hiding in G1(standing) or F2(prone).

Pls include my listen check results with LoS. Last I saw, he moved into this area, and I haven't seen him move out. I know the hay gives a Move Silent Penalty, so I'd like to see if I hear anything living over there also.

Not done yet, need LoS and a rules answer.

Morbius
2008-02-10, 09:05 PM
Ref Morbius

Skrag
Hum...I would have to say yes, as he would have LoS the hide attempt would auto fail (there is a rule somewhere that most characters can't hide on plain sight :smallwink:

Oh and from G1 you spot him trying to hide at F3.

Chili I

You can barely hear someone moving very close by the northeast

Still Skrag's turn

chilepepper
2008-02-10, 10:01 PM
I know it's not my turn yet, just a note for refs.

for refs

After I read about the noise, I looked back over my posts to plan my strategy and I realized I misformatted an important roll. If you'll review this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3914736&postcount=19) post, I had no LoS of him in the hay so I moved to F3, did NOT drop prone because that limits LoS out of square and hid. The hide check there was formatted wrong so I'll roll it here since he'll be looking for a LoS check if it's him a hear to the northeast. Hide check [roll0]

edit: Question, 2's a crappy roll, do I know I hid poorly and if so can I take a move action on my turn to hide better?

Talic
2008-02-10, 10:32 PM
For Refs:

Per my previous statement, I have a readied action to fire at him if he takes any action that I can perceive. I realize he should get a +2 from cover for the wall, but as my hide check was pretty good, I should catch him flat footed and get a +2 for being unseen, so it should go fairly well. If I can roll as high as even a 6, I should win the match.

Stats for Refs:

Current location: Hiding in G1(standing).
Spot: 21 (reprinted from previous post).
Listen: 16 (reprinted from previous post).

Edit: Done. Your go, Sir Chile.

chilepepper
2008-02-11, 01:09 AM
Round 8

at refs

I actually have a couple questions, including the one above which I'll restate here.

1. If I roll a crappy hide check, do I know I've hidden badly?
2. If so, can I rehide on a subsequent turn?
3. If so, and if I don't actually move as a move action, does rehiding count as a move action that turn or a free action?
4. If an opponent hasn't seen me yet because I'm hidden, but would otherwise have LoS, and I rehide, does that trigger a reactive spot or listen from him?
5. Dropping prone in the hay prevents me from establishing LoS outside of my square, does that go the other way as well? Would an opponent who has LoS lose it if I drop prone?
6. If I drop prone (free action), would that trigger a reactive listen check?

not done

Talic
2008-02-11, 02:07 AM
I know it's not my turn yet, but I have one question for the refs:

Does the hay area grant any cover or concealment, or is it just a +5 hide check?

Seribro
2008-02-11, 06:28 AM
@ Chilepepper

- In normal dnd nope. You wouldn't know. But the reason for that is that metagaming is normally forbidden. In the arena how ever, meta-gaming is as common as a standard attack roll. Any roll you are allowed to see, you are allowed to judge. You see you roll a 2, then you know a 2 is rolled. So in the arena? Yes, you know you rolled like sh1t.

- Sure can.

3. If so, and if I don't actually move as a move action, does rehiding count as a move action that turn or a free action?

- You are actively replacing your body and bundles of hay in order to get hidden better so that would be a move action.

4. If an opponent hasn't seen me yet because I'm hidden, but would otherwise have LoS, and I rehide, does that trigger a reactive spot or listen from him?

- Yes. You are actively manipulating the hay so even if you were hidden enough to avoid detection, your making the hay move in order to get hidden better so he is indeed entitled then to a reactive spot.

edit: I just checked out your position and since there are are piles of hay in every square around you, that pretty much blocks his LoS I think. I'll double check it with the creator of the map.

5. Dropping prone in the hay prevents me from establishing LoS outside of my square, does that go the other way as well? Would an opponent who has LoS lose it if I drop prone?

- Wait, what?! Ehm... I may be a ref but I don't know every rule in every book, could you please point out where it states you lose LoS outside your square if you drop prone?

edit: Ah, see what you mean. In this case, yes. If it breaks your LoS, it breaks his as well. Though he might notice the top of the hay in your square move and thereby tell which square your in, but then you would pretty much still count as an 'invisible' opponent

- Not really no, though it doesn't make you that much harder to see either. At least, not for as far as I know.

edit: *sigh* yeah it does... stupid hay... It was a nightmare in the barn, it is a nightmare once again... since your in the hay pile and since it is explicitly stated that the hay pile causes move silent penalty, a reactive listen is allowed.

@ Talic

just the hide bonus/oppertunity

edit: unless there is a hay pile in between the two combatants, then it would pretty much count as full cover. I'll double check it with the maps creator.

Talic
2008-02-11, 07:05 AM
@ Chilepepper

- In normal dnd nope. You wouldn't know. But the reason for that is that metagaming is normally forbidden. In the arena how ever, meta-gaming is as common as a standard attack roll. Any roll you are allowed to see, you are allowed to judge. You see you roll a 2, then you know a 2 is rolled. So in the arena? Yes, you know you rolled like sh1t.

- Sure can.

- You are actively replacing your body and bundles of hay in order to get hidden better so that would be a move action.

- Yes. You are actively manipulating the hay so even if you were hidden enough to avoid detection, your making the hay move in order to get hidden better so he is indeed entitled then to a reactive spot.

edit: I just checked out your position and since there are are piles of hay in every square around you, that pretty much blocks his LoS I think. I'll double check it with the creator of the map.

- Wait, what?! Ehm... I may be a ref but I don't know every rule in every book, could you please point out where it states you lose LoS outside your square if you drop prone?

edit: Ah, see what you mean. In this case, yes. If it breaks your LoS, it breaks his as well. Though he might notice the top of the hay in your square move and thereby tell which square your in, but then you would pretty much still count as an 'invisible' opponent

- Not really no, though it doesn't make you that much harder to see either. At least, not for as far as I know.

edit: *sigh* yeah it does... stupid hay... It was a nightmare in the barn, it is a nightmare once again... since your in the hay pile and since it is explicitly stated that the hay pile causes move silent penalty, a reactive listen is allowed.

@ Talic

just the hide bonus/oppertunity

edit: unless there is a hay pile in between the two combatants, then it would pretty much count as full cover. I'll double check it with the maps creator.

@Ref

Text of the map indicates that the hay piles get taller as you approach the wall. Would that mean that the hay pile at F2 does not grant full cover between F1 and F3? Further, would people in hay- squares count as being on top of the hay? Thus, height may override the cover. Asking because Ref Morbius already established LoS for me from my square to F3, using the wall as cover for my hide.

Paladin Latham
2008-02-11, 10:27 AM
Warning no.1 Talic. Don't quote a message like that, it qualifies as looking in someone elses spoiler.

Talic
2008-02-11, 10:54 AM
Sry, didn't realize it did that, I just skip to the bottom and post. Will remember not to quote any message with a spoiler for someone else in the future.

Paladin Latham
2008-02-11, 11:34 AM
@Talic
Unless The_chilli_God actually says otherwise we will treat it like the hay in the Barn Yard map. Thus full cover, inside not on top.

chilepepper
2008-02-11, 11:57 AM
@seribro and other refs

I'll wait on the LoS ruling for piles of hay being around me at F3.
I know he's in H1 or I1. I'm going to metagame a little. I know he's not in G1 because his spot would go against my hide which was formatted wrong. The result of my hide roll didn't get posted until after his last move. If he was in G1, a ref would've seen my screwed up attempt at a hide roll and had me roll it before posting LoS. So I don't have to worry about him having LoS and then being told he doesn't have LoS because the hay squares around me block it. However, I was told dropping prone in the hay would block line of sight so I didn't. If F3 blocks line of sight anyway, I wouldn't have moved there. So how is that handled. (hay IS a nightmare!)

not done, I'm in the middle of questions and I'm guessing you might be in the middle of questions as well so I'll make sure we're both set before I continue

Morbius
2008-02-11, 12:19 PM
High Ref Morbius

chilepepper

1. The hay provides just cover, not total cover, so it does not block LoS (it would if you drop prone in it)

2. There WAS a hide check in your post for round 5 so I used that one, but don't worry no harm has been done to you due to that.

Talic

1. The hay provides just cover, not total cover, so it does not block LoS (it would if he droped prone in it)

to other refs

No harm has been done to chile bercause Talic would spot him with either rolls :P(luckily for me)

Talic
2008-02-11, 12:25 PM
@Talic
Unless The_chilli_God actually says otherwise we will treat it like the hay in the Barn Yard map. Thus full cover, inside not on top.

I'm good now. Thanks for the clarification. Until I hear otherwise, I'm going to take this and the previous post by High Ref Morbius as the answer to my question. I'm sure you'll let us all know if chiligod says this map works differently in that regard. Thanks again, for all the work y'all do to keep this thing going.

chilepepper
2008-02-11, 02:08 PM
Thank you refs.

Okay, so it's top of the 8th

refs

Alright, now I'm worried about where he's at. If he is right around the corner, and he's seen me, he'll ready an action to shoot if I so much as twitch, at least that's what I'd do. So I'll burn a move action to see him.
Spot [roll0]
and I'll wait for that result to finish my turn.

stats for refs

Expeditious Retreat: 8/10 rounds
Current Position: F3 hiding(17)

not done

Paladin Latham
2008-02-11, 02:17 PM
@Chile I:
You see nothing.

chilepepper
2008-02-11, 02:40 PM
refs

Free action to drop prone silently and rehide
Move Silently [roll0] includes the penalty for being in the hay
So here's the base roll for the hide
Rehide [roll1]
Modifiers: I'm guessing the +5 for being in the hay is replaced by the +20 for being effectively invisible while prone in the hay, so the roll above plus either 20 or 25.

see stats in last post (+4 AC to ranged if I succeed at dropping prone

and if I survive, here's a reactive listen check for his turn(I'll forgo the spot check since I can't see out of my square once I'm prone)
Listen [roll2]

I'm done, but if I guess correctly at what's going on, we're going to need an LoS check.

Morbius
2008-02-11, 03:19 PM
Ref Morbius

Skrag
You see Chili disapearing under the hay.

Chili I

There is no point in trying to hide, under the hay you have full cover :P. Also for LoS, you see hay... a lot of hay

Talic
2008-02-11, 04:16 PM
His action to drop prone triggers my readied action. Which was a crossbow attack. Let's see. I'm gonna roll, assuming I haven't been seen. (If I had, he'd probably have attacked and then dropped) +5 dex, +2 unseen, +1 Size, +1 Point blank shot, total, +9. If I have been seen, subtract two from this roll.

Assuming he hasn't seen me, he should have effective AC 17 (+3 armor, +4 cover). If I have been seen, I've probably lost the match.

Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]
Ready Shot Feat Damage: [roll2]
Sneak Attack Damage:[roll3]

C'mon, dice gods, daddy needs a new pair of 150 xp shoes.

Mavian
2008-02-11, 04:35 PM
High Ref Mav:

First, one of my "mavianesque" points of order.

Ready Shot doesn't work that way, but its a relatively minor point as you did more than enough damage without it.

With that out of the way.

Skrag is declared the victor and receives the commiserate prizes.

Talic
2008-02-11, 04:45 PM
High Ref Mav:

First, one of my "mavianesque" points of order.

Ready Shot doesn't work that way, but its a relatively minor point as you did more than enough damage without it.

With that out of the way.

Skrag is declared the victor and receives the commiserate prizes.

Wow. I just reread the feat, and saw that part about "charge". That feat's not nearly as good as I thought. Looks like I found my "retrain bait" for next time.

chilepepper
2008-02-11, 06:56 PM
Yep, that's what I thought was going to happen. Good match, well played.

Talic
2008-02-11, 07:24 PM
Yep, that's what I thought was going to happen. Good match, well played.

Same to you. I looked at your spot modifier and hide/ms modifier and thought for sure you were gonna win at the start of this match. I managed to see you when you were in the open at A13, and unable to hide (no cover/concealment), and I saw you move north. That's when I went over to cut you off and you decided to hide in the corner and wait for me to stick my melon out. My spot was ok that last round, but you must have rolled horrible on the round I came to peek around the corner.

If I'd known that Ready shot didn't work like that, I would have taken the shot then, rather than wait for it.

chilepepper
2008-02-11, 11:48 PM
Yeah, when you didn't come south at the beginning of the match, I figured you went right for the hay pile. When you weren't there, I figured I'd wait for you in the event you saw me crossing over in the A column. My hide rolls sucked though.

Talic
2008-02-12, 12:23 AM
Yeah, when you didn't come south at the beginning of the match, I figured you went right for the hay pile. When you weren't there, I figured I'd wait for you in the event you saw me crossing over in the A column. My hide rolls sucked though.

LOL, I did go for the hay pile. I then began to circle around clockwise and when you were at the A column, I was at the FAR end of the board, N side, peeking around a corner. I cut through the arena middle, and went north, thinking to intercept you.

I didn't think that you wanted to be intercepted, lol. Still, giving me that sight of you at A13 was probably better for me than you. I knew where you were, more or less, for the rest of the match (I was mostly sure you didn't double back, as I hadn't given you a reason to).

Still, one heck of a cat and mouse game. I look forward to doing it again in the finals.