PDA

View Full Version : Xenogears IC



Lochar
2008-02-06, 05:47 PM
You had recieved the message just two days ago.

Effective 0800, Nov 01 9760, you are hearby reassigned to a new unit. Please report to Briefing Room 3A at 0800 on that day for assignment duties.

Dutiful soldier that you are, and curious, you appeared at the requested location on the requested day about thirty minutes ahead of time.

The briefing room is decorated standardly, with a podium at the front of the room, facing towards the door. Six hard chairs sit facing the podium. There are clips on the wall behind the podium for briefing materials, but there is nothing attached currently. Also on the wall is a whiteboard. Written on the board is Unit, but nothing else. There are no windows into the room, and the walls, if the width of the door frame is anything to go by, are at least eight inches thick and most likely packed tight with sound absorbing material.

The Aveh military banner is draped across the opposing walls left and right of the podium.

OOC:

How I would like posts to be on the In Character Thread.

Character Name Does not have to be full name.

In character text, in character text.


Rolls and Out of Character things.


End how I would like posts to be on the In Character Thread.

For simplicities sake, I will use the standard 12 month calendar.

WrathOfLife
2008-02-06, 06:09 PM
Jake Leedium

Making his way into the room, Jake stops suddenly and glances around. First one present, or first one to be foolish enough to come through the front door carrying all his gear? A quick glance showed it was the former, unless he was much mistaken.

Standing at 5'11 and still wearing his armor and a mesh vest, Jake appear's the picture of a speical ops trooper ready for battle, with short crop, light brown hair, eye's little more than black holes in his face, and the rest of his skin coloured almost identical to his armor in a desert camo. Carrying a heavly modifed Barrett Light Fifty, a small knife strapped on the outside of each shin can be seening contrasting with the heavy belt knife hanging on his belt across from his Standard issue sidearm.

Picking the chair to the far left of the podium, Jake slides his small range pack under the chair, before sitting down and leaning his slightly smaller than normal (and marked with what looks to be a bloodly hand print half way along the barrel) rifle against the side of the chair.


Jake kept his head facing towards the door, waiting and watching for whoever would come in next. Whatever this new unit was, Jake dearly hoped it wouldn't be more work in Gear's...

Jensik
2008-02-06, 08:39 PM
Hender Kresahn

Not long after Jake sits down, a man with a very unique look enters the room. Instead of the usual soldier's fatigues, he wears a surprisingly clean white flight suit with light blue trim. On one side of his belt, there rests a finely crafted pistol in it's holster. On the other side, a small metal shaft. His posture is that of one who is confident, perhaps too confident. He has neatly trimmed blond hair, about neck length. His deep green eyes were currently fixated on a sheet of paper that he apparently just opened this morning. He obviously hasn't noticed that he wasn't the first to arrive, as he seems to be talking to himself.

"Specialist? Once again, I am greatly under appreciated. Well... I suppose I can't really expect much. After all, they..."

Finally he looks up and sees Jake sitting and staring at him. Forcing a smile, he slowly walks to the arranged chairs. "Oh... Don't mind me."

Neatly folding the paper in thirds and placing it into a pocket, he takes the seat furthest from Jake, but not until making sure it was (relatively) clean.

Moral Wiz
2008-02-07, 12:51 AM
Nakiti Frinz

Not soon after the mercenary goes through the door, a tall, slightly gaunt man, in an Aveh army standard jumpsuit, with dark red, light brown, and grey camouflage, all of which is countered by his perfectly clean, only slightly long white hair strides into the room. He stops for a moment, taking in the place.

Well... This is 3a.

It was a statement, rather than a question. This new arrival seems to be wearing some sort of fancy glasses, but doesn't seem to be carrying any sort of weapon. In fact he seems a little flustered, but is in control of himself now. He smiles, and takes a seat just right of the center. He sits tall in the chair, but seems perfectly relaxed now, and smiles at the others.

I assume that means that you are my new squad mates. Most interesting....

Oh. Nakiti Frinz. Or Nik, if you prefer. Intelligence. And you are?

Current seating plan:smallamused:

J U U N U H

U for Unclaimed, and character's initials for claimed

WrathOfLife
2008-02-07, 09:03 AM
Jake Leedium

Barely suppressing a sigh, Jake takes in the two arrivals. One who appears to engaged in thinking and would have just walked into the imaginary ambush Jake just planned, and another who walked into the same ambush, but wasn't even carrying any weapons. Useless, both of them. But if Intel is right and they are part of this new squad, then I best be friendly. Jake summoning all his social graces attempts to smile at Intel and the Suit, but the best he manages is a cold stare before returning his gaze to the door.

Moral Wiz
2008-02-07, 09:11 AM
Nakiti Frinz

... Aparently not the sort to socialise.

Nik noted the well modded guns the quiet man had brought, but made no comment. He just smiled at him

Ah well. I don't supose you know anything about why we've all been dragged here?

Gnarnia
2008-02-07, 10:39 AM
Emerson Wainwright

A few minutes later the door opens again. A demihuman wearing the uniform of a military chaplain stands in the frame of the doorway for a brief moment, taking in the surroundings before he steps inside. His skin has all the appearance of polished bronze, as though he were a walking statue. This look is further accented by his silver eyes and hair, glistening with a mercurial sheen.

He's an older man and looks to be in his early forties, but still appears in good shape. Stepping inside the room he greets you with a casual salute.

"Hello, gents. Looks like we're going to be briefed on something interesting." he says, rapping on the soundproofed wall of the room.

After taking a cursory glance behind one of the Aveh military banners (for curioisity's sake), the man takes an empty seat and joins you in waiting.

Moral Wiz
2008-02-07, 11:05 AM
Nakiti Frinz

Indeed.

The white haired, yet human Intel officer smiled to see someone being aware of their surroundings

Nakiti Franz, or Nik, if you prefer.

He smiles as the chaplain sits down

And you are?

Gnarnia
2008-02-07, 11:40 AM
Emerson Wainwright

"Emerson Wainwright, nice to meet you, Nik", the chaplain replies as he takes a seat next to Nikiti.

Shaking hands, you find his has all the texture of a normal one (ie: it's not like shaking hands with a robot).

"This all seems very hush hush. I wonder what they've got planned for us..."

Moral Wiz
2008-02-07, 11:46 AM
Nakiti Frinz

Heh. Do you fancy taking bets, friend?

The spymaster settles back in his chair, seeming totally at ease with Emerson's nature.

Ho hum. I'll say this much. I'm pretty sure it'll be, as you said, interesting; and probably require a diverse skill set. Oh, and ten'll get you one at least one officer is in the same boat as us, though I'll admit that one as a slightly longer shot.

Gig_Complex
2008-02-07, 11:47 AM
Victor 'Gills' Rhimes

Bloody hell can't leave a man to do a decent days work without bothering him muttered Gills as he walked into the already filling room.

As he walked in he rose his hand in a gesture of greetings,

Name's Victor but since we're going to be working together it seems you can call me Gills, everyone seems to do so.

The tall but lightly built demi-human took an empty seat near the middle. Wearing an engineer's jumpsuit that had been rolled down to the waist, his light blue skin had a shine to it and the fins and gills stood out even more so. At his waist was a Multipurpose tool that had seen much ware and tear and his standard issue side arm which seemed to have seen no action. His sea green eyes scanned his future squad mates giving them the once over.

Moral Wiz
2008-02-07, 12:00 PM
Nakiti Frinz

Pleased to meet you Gills. Nakiti Frinz, or Nik. Intelligence.

The white haired human offers a hand to Gills as well before the tech takes a seat.

Gnarnia
2008-02-07, 12:04 PM
Emerson Wainwright

"Heh, I'm pretty sure I'd lose that bet... my main area of expertise is hunting Wels, but I'm also a trained medic. Assuming I was selected for one skillset or the other, I doubt it's run of the mill patrol duty they have planned for us."

Emerson is interrupted by the new arrival.

"Nice to meet you, Gills. Have a seat here..." he replies, gesturing to the empty chair between himself and Jake, "...one of the finest examples of discount seating the Aveh military has to offer."

He reintroduces himself to Gills (and anyone else in the room who expresses any interest).

Gig_Complex
2008-02-07, 12:22 PM
Gills

Taking the white haired man's hand Gill let's out a small smile before speaking,

As you may or may not have guessed I'm one of the techies, and it would seem that I'll be filling the same role for the squad.

Smirking at Emerson's greeting, Gills slides into the chair before responding,

Better then the chairs we got over in the garage though

Gnarnia
2008-02-07, 12:28 PM
Emerson Wainwright

"Oh, excellent. Do you work with Gears much? I own a custom-built and the garage won't run maintenance on it for 'liability reasons'. It'd be nice to not have to take a trip into Aveh proper every time i need an overhaul."

Moral Wiz
2008-02-07, 12:51 PM
Nakiti Frinz

Heh. I think you might be in demand, Gills. I confess, I'm planing to order myself a custom job. I don't suppose you could give me a hand at putting the plans together? I know a little of assembling Gear sized weaponry myself, though I'm no ace at maintenance.

Jensik
2008-02-07, 01:21 PM
Hender

Sitting up straight in his chair, hands neatly folded in his lap, foot tapping furiously in impatience, the oddly dressed man sits in stoic silence.

Ugh... I knew I should have slept in. This inane banter is killing me!"

Moral Wiz
2008-02-07, 01:27 PM
Nakiti Frinz

Heh. I don't know which of you two...

Frinz indicates the two on either end of the little row, although he is smiling

is worse. Neither of you seems able to speak

He turns to Hender

Come on friend. I'm going to pick on you. because your counterpart over there had the good graces to at least try and smile. Who are you, and what did you get dragged away from to get this assignment?

Jensik
2008-02-07, 01:31 PM
Hender

Great... now they're talking to me. Oh well, let's get this over with.

"Oh me? Hender Kresahn, gun for hire, and my abilities are more effective when people don't know what they are."

Moral Wiz
2008-02-07, 01:41 PM
Nakiti Frinz

Heh. What abilities could recommend a mercenary to what is, probably, some kind of black opps squad? Interesting....

Hmm... Is that literal, or a "polite" way of saying "Shut the hell up and leave me alone?"

Irrespective of the mercenary's answer, Nik leaves it at that. He returns to examining the room from the relative comfort of his chair. Strangely, he doesn't seem to fidget, sitting more or less totally still.

Jensik
2008-02-07, 02:19 PM
Hender

Hender smiles, and it actually seems to be genuine amusement.

"Literal. I suppose you could more accurately describe me as a 'Negotiator.' I facilitate the necessary communication to bring an end to hostilities."

Moral Wiz
2008-02-07, 04:15 PM
Nakiti Frinz

Heh. Now, either that is the most polite way of saying "gunman" I've ever encountered; or... I don't have a clue as to what you're on about. Either way, working with you is going to be an experience, I can see.

Frinz smiles right back at the merc, with genuine warmth.

Jensik
2008-02-07, 04:45 PM
Hender

Hender does not respond, he just keeps smiling and continues to tap his foot waiting for something to happen.

WrathOfLife
2008-02-07, 04:49 PM
Jake Leedium

Well Atleast I know I'll die quickly if this is a stealth mission we're going to be sent on. After Jake's first attempt at being social he more or less stops paying attention to the on going conversation, instead he passes the time weighing up idea's on what purpose a squad could have as to require a personal techy, a Intel officer who can't seem to shutup and a Suit.

Must be some kind of suicide mission, the question is, what did I learn or fail at so badly to require my death along with these misfits... Lost in thought while staring at the door, Jake's face slowly grows a cold frown befitting the killer that he is.

Moral Wiz
2008-02-07, 04:53 PM
Nakiti Frinz

After a moments thought, Frinz adressed the gathering.

Well gentlemen? As there are five of us so far, none of us are officers, and we seem about to form a unit, it seems logical that the remaining seat belongs to our absent leader. Any guesses? For a five man squad...even if black ops, as this probably is; I'd say an LT. Possibly just a sargent, but I doubt we'd be so lucky. And anyone higher will only budge with at least a ten man bodyguard.

The white haired man smiles.

Anyone know any LTs? Any who might have gotten assigned into this little gathering?

Lochar
2008-02-07, 04:59 PM
((Zinadia, you were on earlier. Please do post soon.))

After a few more minutes of waiting, the door opens again. As you turn to look at who it is, you see someone with a bird on his shoulders, a Colonel.

Several of you recognize the man. Colonel Birtriz, a man not known for his good mood. Standing five foot eight, with a very short buzz cut for his black hair, this man is someone that anyone military knows it not someone to tick off. More recently you can recall a Captain who had come across Colonel Birtriz's bad side, who is probably still cleaning latrines in the middle of the desert somewhere.

Closing the door, he walks to the podium, looking at some papers he is holding. Once he gets there, he sets the down on the podium and looks up, noticing the empty chair and the rest of you.

"Alright... Where is Liuetenant Fatima? And why the hell are you bringing heavy arms into a briefing?" he snaps. "I didn't expect much out of a Royal running a unit, or a bunch of demi's and a mercenary, but I would think someone from Intelligence would actually show some intelligence and get that thing out of here."

Moral Wiz
2008-02-07, 05:09 PM
Nakiti Frinz

The white haired intelligence expert stood up, a tad nervous. He'd heard of Birtriz.

That... would be me, Colonel. I just didn't know if they'd been given orders to the contrary.

Assuming they don't resist, Nik reluctantly takes the other's weapons, and piles them up just outside the door.

... Oh what the hell. We can't start a squad with punishment duty

And I can explain Lieutenant Faitma's absence too, I'm afraid sir. As this sounds like it'll put me on active service, I filed for a standard gear. Unfortunately, as my old custom gear was destroyed four months ago, Admin decided to make me jump through some hoops. One of them was getting a CO's permission. I saw Lieutenant Fatima passing, and asked her. I left her screaming at the admin staff.

Sorry about that, sir.

WrathOfLife
2008-02-07, 05:14 PM
Jake Leedium

Giving the Officer his full attention Jake was slightly taken back by the comments of heavy weapons. To the point where his shock displays itself by a slight rise in one of his eyebrows. A rifle is a heavy weapon? Still orders are orders and Officers are still useless. Standing to attention, Jake replies as formally as he can, however his hollow deep voice gives the simple statement a slightly sinister sound. "Sir, I did not believe light arms would provide necessary firepower." Yup, way to go Jake, give them your life story. With that massive dialog out the way, and a hard glare at Nik when he goes to touch his rifle, Jake moves to the door with his rifle and places it leaning against the outside wall, at such an angle that Jake can keep an eye on it from the breifing room. Returning to stand at the front of his chair, Jake does his best not to consider the Colonel a total fool, Fool and fails constantly.

Lochar
2008-02-07, 05:23 PM
As Nakiti goes to open the door, the Colonel stops him. "Put them all by the door, but leave it closed. The next time that door opens is going to be Liuetenant Fatima."

Birtriz actually gives a slight, very tight smile. "You do at least think on your feet, when pushed. That's good."

Colonel Birtriz takes a step away from the podium. "Who the hell do you all think you are? Bringing a sniper rifle in? At least the rest of you idiots only brought sidearms. And without having your Commanding Officer here, I can't properly ream you all and get you running to Dazil in nothing but fatigues! I'm giving your CO exactly five minutes to get here, then you'll ALL be doing ten laps per minute she's late!"

At the end of this screaming, Colonel Birtriz motions for absolute quiet. He steps over to one of the Aveh banners and pulls a small device out of his pocket. He puts it to the top of the banner and in the dead silence a click is heard.

He turns back to you all. "I'm still going to ream your CO, but now that we don't have anymore recorders running, you may ask questions." He returns to the podium and grabs a marker, turning to the whiteboard. He erases "Unit" and instead writes "Delta Foxtrot Unit." Under that, he writes "Squadname: Misfits."

Zinaida
2008-02-07, 05:30 PM
Bethela Abishai Fatima


Bethela entered with a clipped gait and apathetic gaze in her eyes concealing a hint of annoyance prior to events of the day. Upon crossing the threshold she snapped to a salute in swift, mechanical perfection. "Lieutenant Bethela Abishai Fatima, reporting Sir! I take full responsibility for my latency, Sir."

Moral Wiz
2008-02-07, 05:32 PM
Nakiti Frinz

Nik looks totally emotionless as the Colonel vents his anger at the silent armed figure. He speaks just after Lieutenant enters, saluting her as he does so

No need to apolagise, Lieutenant Fatima marm. I've explained to the Colonel. Besides, I don't think we've started yet..

Lochar
2008-02-07, 05:34 PM
Birtriz nods to her. "Have a seat Lieutenant. You're only a minute or so late. You must have been right behind me."

He looks to Nakiti, shaking his head. "I heard you were working something out for one of yours, anyways."


Birtriz looks at you all. "Welcome to Delta Foxtrot Unit. Before I begin, an introduction from myself. I am Colonel Theodore Birtriz, but you most likely know that. What most of you shouldn't know, is I am the Second in Command of SpecOps. Welcome to the family, kiddies."

Moral Wiz
2008-02-07, 05:37 PM
Nakiti Frinz

SpecOps... Well, that explains a lot.

Frinz smiles at the Colonel, but doesn't speak.

Zinaida
2008-02-07, 05:51 PM
Bethela Abishai Fatima


Bethela takes her appointed seat after returning salutes to her future squad members. Listening intently she crosses one leg over the other and leaning slightly with her elbows propped up on the table. An eye brow momentarily raises at Frinz, giving him a confused expression, but she makes no attempt to reply.

Moral Wiz
2008-02-07, 05:54 PM
Nakiti Frinz

Ah. A smart officer. I wondered for a moment there; but I'm feeling safer already.

Nik smiled in response to Bethela's brief look of confusion, tilting his head. He didn't do more though.

Lochar
2008-02-07, 06:15 PM
Birtriz looks at you all. "As far as anyone outside this room knows, you were brought together under the banner of Lieutenant Fatima here, because she complained to enough family members that someone came down and raised enough ruckus to get this thing thrown together. That is the reason for the squad name. And don't get me wrong. You will be given missions that will make others use your squad as a warning to others on what not to do."

He smiles thinly. "I will expect you to salvage those missions. Or if you fail them, accomplish the real mission behind them."

He pulls a folded paper from his packet on the podium, pinning it to the wall behind him. The map is of the Aveh desert. "About five hours north east of Dazil are some recently discovered ruins at the edge of the desert where it abuts the mountains. Your first mission will be escort for several researchers, both Army and Ethos. You will be expected to defend and fortify the local ruins for two weeks. Any Kislev army components you find are to be exterminated, utterly. Pick up souviners if you'd like. After that, you will return with no escort. You will return through Elru to the west of the ruins, head north a bit, before coming back to the capital. Check in with Captain Iros in Elru to see if you are needed there."

Birtriz looks at you all. "The floor is open for questions."

Jensik
2008-02-07, 06:56 PM
Hender

When Nik goes around collecting weapons, Hender gives him a cold glare. "You can have my gun when you pry it off my corpse."

After the Colonel's display, followed by the exchange with the LT and the briefing, Hender yawns, "Another day, another paycheck."

... that I don't get to see.

Zinaida
2008-02-07, 07:38 PM
Bethela Abishai Fatima

"Ethos, sir?" She looked skeptical at first. "Is there anyone else all ready on the grounds? Does Intel know if Kislev has become aware of it? Has there been any activity close to that area since before or after it's discovery?"

Lochar
2008-02-07, 09:20 PM
Birtriz nods at Bethela's skeptical look. "Unfortunately, you'll be going in as a first insertion team. As we're trying to keep this low on the radar, we're being forced to use you as escort, rather than as a strike force. Kislev has a small garrison about three to four days out from the local area, and if they're already alerted to the ruins, it's feasible they can get there before we do. The researchers, both ours and Ethos, will be told to keep their heads down in case of attack. The area is in a contested zone, so there's plenty of activity. Whether or not it is directly related to the ruins, we're not sure. Intel is scarce because of the contested zone."

Gig_Complex
2008-02-07, 10:17 PM
Gills

Not that its my area of expertise sir, but exactly how large an escort are we talking about and how much of it is composed of Ethos? Also what has priority the Ruins or the Researchers, because if push comes to shove do you want us to hold the ruins or make a beeline out of the contested zone?

Lochar
2008-02-07, 10:20 PM
"The six of you are escorting eight researchers. Four Ethos, four military. As for the ruins, they are our territory. Abandon them if you must, but we'd rather not see them lost, especially before we know what the ruins hold. Priority for this mission is getting something from those ruins that will tell us whether or not they're worth putting major resources into holding it."

WrathOfLife
2008-02-07, 11:33 PM
Jake Leedium

Maintaining his stance, the information rolls through Jakes head. 5 hours north east of Drazil, three or four days distance from Kislev troopers, two weeks spent on the defense, contested zone "Sir, supplies, sir?"

Jensik
2008-02-08, 12:25 AM
Hender

Hender raises an eyebrow in interest. Ethos? I must have missed that part. Fantastic, I get to spend more time with them.

"Clear the ruins of hostiles, hold position until the research team has something of worth, home in time for tea. When do we leave?"

Moral Wiz
2008-02-08, 02:06 AM
Nakiti Frinz

Ok. So, may or may not be a combat zone. So treat it as a combat zone

Do we have any reports of the ruins sir? Any idea of what might be inside? Structural integrity? Entrances or exits? Or do we just have the location?

Lochar
2008-02-08, 08:36 AM
"The researchers will have four trucks with them, supplies for their research, and also extra ammo and supplies for yourselves. The basics will be sent along with you, if you think you will require anything special, ask now and I'll attempt to have it included."

"You'll leave tomorrow at 0800 hours. It's a week to Dazil, and then you'll pick up the researchers there and head out."

"The ruins are built into the mountain range there. We only know of the one entrance, no others, although they could be there as well. Structural intergrity looks to be mostly good. As for what's inside, it depends if your or Kislev gets there first. It's likely the local animal population could be using it for dens."

He looks over all of you. "Any other questions?"

Moral Wiz
2008-02-08, 09:03 AM
Nakiti Frinz

Nik strokes a non existant beard.

How important is that Kislev garrison to them? Unimportant enough for them to be able to drop everything if they locate the ruins? Or important enough that they could only spare one or two gears to check them?

Lochar
2008-02-08, 09:15 AM
"It's a military garrison. They won't abandon it, but they will want control over the ruins. I would assume a fifty/fifty split of their forces."

Gnarnia
2008-02-08, 09:36 AM
Emerson Wainright

"Sir, is there any possibility we could leave today instead? If reaching these ruins before Kislev is a priority then any time we can save would put us in a better position."

Lochar
2008-02-08, 09:40 AM
"If you can collect all your equipment before 1300, you can. I'll expidite Gear setup for those of you who don't have your own."

WrathOfLife
2008-02-08, 09:41 AM
Jake Leedium

"Sir, if you could, 100 HE rounds for a .50 cal and a Ghillie suit, sir" 50/50 split of forces? I don't think our little team can hold on that...

Throughout the conversations Jake has bearly moved, however he seems a great deal more tense. What on earth could I have done wrong to be sent on a suicide mission...

Lochar
2008-02-08, 09:53 AM
"Done, Leedium." Birtriz writes something down on his papers. "Any other specials?

Jensik
2008-02-08, 10:10 AM
Hender

Hender stands and half heartedly salutes. "I'll be ready within the hour. If any of you need me, I'll be in the gear hangar."

Without waiting for a response or permission, he calmly walks out of the room and shuts the door behind him.

Moral Wiz
2008-02-08, 11:02 AM
Nakiti Frinz

Sir, if we're leaving at once, I'd better check, and make sure my set up's gone through. Apart from that, I'm fine.

At that, assuming no objections, Nik salutes the Colonel, and Lieutenant Fatima, and makes for the door, before stopping.

One thing. If we rush off now, who'll provide protection to the experts, if they come under attack?

Lochar
2008-02-08, 11:32 AM
"You'll be picking up the researchers in Dazil, not here."

Moral Wiz
2008-02-08, 11:37 AM
Nakiti Frinz

But will they be ready to go? They aren't expecting us for another day, and will probably complain about equipment, preparations and so on.

Lochar
2008-02-08, 11:50 AM
You'll leave tomorrow at 0800 hours. It's a week to Dazil, and then you'll pick up the researchers there and head out."

((Might want to re-read this. Week to Dazil))

Moral Wiz
2008-02-08, 11:54 AM
Touche, but the point stands. We'll arrive early, and they'll probably object, and want more time to get everything ready ect....

Still, changed my post to reflect it.

Lochar
2008-02-08, 11:58 AM
"They should be ready, we've sent word ahead for them to hurry. They might be waiting on you."

Moral Wiz
2008-02-08, 12:02 PM
Nakiti Frinz

Well, that's a relief. Thank you sir.

At that, the white haired intelligence officer leaves the room.

Gig_Complex
2008-02-08, 10:33 PM
Gills

Well just got to grab my travel tool case and Malcom and I should be good to go.

Standing and Saluting before leaving,

Just going to give my Gear a once over as well if anyone wants me to take a quick look at their Gear come get me at the bay.

WrathOfLife
2008-02-08, 11:11 PM
Jake Leedium

Running some quick mental math Jake adds up his ammo and his chances. 100 HE rounds, 44 standard rounds, that gives me 2 extended standard mags, and 4 and a half HE extended mags. Enough, Maybe Nodding to himself, Jake takes his leave to go check out the standard issue gear. "Sir, With your leave, sir" and motions to leave. Given permission to leave, Jake would check the gear out, before meeting at the checkpoint at 1230 hours.

Lochar
2008-02-10, 10:28 AM
Birtriz nods to Jake. "If there are no more questions then, you are all dismissed. 1300 hours, be ready to leave from the Gear dock, since you requested to leave today."

Zinaida
2008-02-10, 02:28 PM
Bethela Abishai Fatima

Bethela waits patiently for everyone to file out, watching the Colonel intently.

Lochar
2008-02-11, 02:55 PM
Birtriz nods to you all. "Good luck." He leaves the room ahead of Lieutenant Fatima and Corporal Wainwright, leafing through his papers silently.

Zinaida
2008-02-11, 03:17 PM
Bethela Abishai Fatima


Bethela stands and walk out after the Colonel. "Sir. May I speak to you in private?"

Lochar
2008-02-11, 03:39 PM
All:
I will be spoilering things that happen away from the whole group for those people, so as to keep things more realisitic. While I realize that it's 1: Only too easy to open the spoiler and read anyways and 2:Entirely tempting, I would request that you don't. If I find out you have, I'll swap to doing non-group things completely in PMs or emails.

Colonel Birtriz nods. "We'll talk in my office then, Lieutenant." He will lead you away, walking for almost twenty minutes before you come to his office. He opens the door, walks in, and then beckons you through.

Bethela:
You enter the office of the Colonel. It is a mostly bare office, with only the nessecities. A standard desk sits in the middle of the room with a chair behind it, leather, but well worn. In front of the desk are two chairs, not leather, but much nicer than the metal folding chairs of the briefing room. Behind the desk in a cross are two long barreled guns. Both are Steyr AUG assault rifles, and look well cared for.

Colonel Birtriz sits at his desk and motions to the chairs in front of it. "Sit. What do you wish to speak about?"

Moral Wiz
2008-02-11, 03:43 PM
Nakiti Frinz

As the LT was speaking to Birtriz; Nik had finally managed to reach the Admin department. He burst through the doors quickly, and accosted the nearest available clerk

I've just been put onto active duty. I need a Gear, in the hanger, ready to go at thirteen hundred hours. What paperwork do you need?

Lochar
2008-02-11, 03:46 PM
Nakiti:
The man startles as you grab him, and gives you a look. "Really? That quickly? Come with me, I'll get you started on your paperwork." The man, a PFC from the insignia on his shoulders, walks over to one of the tables and seats you before leaving and returning a few minutes later with a stack of papers. "Squad name?" He asks, still holding the papers.

Moral Wiz
2008-02-11, 03:50 PM
Delta Foxtrot, under Lieutenant Fatima. Nik is quick, and precise. .

Lochar
2008-02-11, 03:59 PM
Nakiti:
"Delta Foxtrot?" He begins paging through the reams of paper, looking at them. "I don't have any paperwork at all on a Delta Foxtrot unit. Hold on a sec, let me go check and see if any new units have been filed." As he walks away, you can hear him talking to himself. "Although new inceptions don't get sent on Gear missions..." His voice trails off as he leaves the room again.


After five minutes, he comes back. His face is a little paler. He is holding a single sheet of paper. "Here, fill it out and get out of here." He shoves the paper at you and waits impatiently.

The sheet of paper has a stamp across the top. Expidite Signed underneath is a signature. Colonel Birtriz's.

The paper has very few lines on it. Name, Rank, Duty Assignment, mission timeframe. The rest is already pre-typed out and has the requirements for you Gear already on it.

Moral Wiz
2008-02-11, 04:09 PM
Heh. This whole SpecOps thing has perks.

Nakiti fills the form out quickly

Name; Nakiti Frinz

Rank; Intelligence Specialist I

Duty Assignment...

That took a second to think about, before he wrote

Escort Duty

Mission Timeframe; 2-3 weeks (Uncertain; possibility of extension)

He looked up at the clerk

Is that it?

Lochar
2008-02-11, 04:43 PM
Nakiti:

The man takes the paper and looks it over, before looking at a clock on the wall. "We'll have it loaded by 1200 hours. Got a guess on how many more of your team is going to require loading as well?"

Moral Wiz
2008-02-11, 04:51 PM
Nik shrugs.

We're a 6 man team, but at least one of us has a custom built. Almost certainly two, unless you've gotten into the habit of assigning Gears to merc forces. And others might have already got their paper filled out to have one on standby; we've got a royal with us afterall. The squad just formed at 0800; I don't know anymore. Can't help you, sorry. I've got to go myself; more preparations to make.

With that, Nik made his exit, and started running as fast as he could again. Only this time, he was making for the intelligence section's building.

Where will I end up going for the storage device? Oh, and as it'll probably become important, I left it so as you could describe the Intel building, and Nik's immediete superior officers

Jensik
2008-02-11, 05:04 PM
Hender

Meanwhile, at the hangar...

"Specialist" Hender Kresahn stands before his Gear, inspecting it with a twisted grin on his face. The Gear was a massive 26 feet tall, shared the same color scheme as Hender's unique flight suit, and was shined to perfection. The similarity ends there, however. While Hender is slim and not very imposing, the Gear is heavily armored and slightly bulky. In it's hands it carries a large rifle, with no visible ammunition loader in sight.

In fact, unless you were on the wrong end of the machine, one could say that maybe Hender was overcompensating for something. He is very secretive about how he came into possession of such a thing, saying only "To the victor goes the spoils." Even more so he is protective of just who works on it. Not a single military engineer has done anything more than refuel it.

After a few moments of reveling in his own ego, he goes about checking to make sure it was in top condition. He was no mechanic, but he hid the fact well.

Lochar
2008-02-11, 05:29 PM
Nakiti:
"So four, possibly five? Thanks." The man gives a quick salute to you as you rush out the door.

You reach the building seperated off from the main area quickly, beating your own personal record for the quarter mile dash. The building is three stories tall and sits about two thirds of the way up the mountain that the royal palace sits on. Built of heavy steel and concrete, this is definately the building that secrets are kept at.

Entering, you head towards the office area to report in to the Harthorns. Knocking on the door of Captain Jake Harthorn's office, you hear his voice. "Enter."
You can pick up the device at a tech shop in upper Aveh, near the palace.

Hender:
As you give your Gear a once and twice over, you find that you're drawing a bit of a crowd, mainly pilots and a few mechanics that you have yet to warn off your Gear. Custom Gears, especially over twice the size of the standard Aveh military model, do tend to stand out.

One of the pilots approaches you, you notice he has Sargent markings. "Been wondering who's pretty Gear that is. And it doesn't even belong to one of the officers either, from the looks of you. How'd you manage to talk your way into getting that?"

His face is honest in it's question, and he has a genial demenor.

Moral Wiz
2008-02-11, 05:37 PM
Lochar
Nik enters. He's semi at ease, he knows Harthorn well.

Jensik
2008-02-11, 07:01 PM
GM
Hender hops down and makes sure people maintain their distance. "To the victor goes the spoils. A concept I'm sure you understand. Suffice it to say you want Chatanth on your side, and he shall remain there as long as my contract remains honored by your superiors."

He begins to glare at the rest of the crowd, in particular the mechanics. "And unless you are an Ethos certified mechanic with a hand written letter of recommendation from Chief Engineer Blackwell himself, this is as much as you'll see of him. So put that thought out of mind."

Gig_Complex
2008-02-11, 07:01 PM
Gills

After leaving the meeting, Gills makes a trip to his locker to grab the rifle that he has never seen need to use before making his way to the portion of the garage that he called his own. Meeting each greeting with a nod of his head or a wave of his hand, Gills beelines towards his station and Malcolm, intent on getting as many of his tools packed away for the trip.

WrathOfLife
2008-02-11, 08:23 PM
Jake Leedium

Once Jake was out of the room, he hurries over to his room to grab some pen and paper. Once there he writes out everything he'll need on several different sheets. Rushing over to the Admin building, leaning past Nakiti (assuming he's still there) to drop off one of the sheets, requesting a gear for him be made ready in the hanger by 1200 hours, and rushes off without a word. Stopping at the ammo dump, Jake drops off another sheet of paper, requesting all of his ammo, before hurrying off to the outfitter and dropping off another sheet, requesting his standard outfit. With all that done, Jake begins to try to track down Gills.
[roll0] using scent and track.

Once Jake finds Gill's he passes him a sheet of paper before hurrying off again. It reads "Can you check over my standard issue gear? It should be in the hanger by 1200 hours."

Gig_Complex
2008-02-11, 09:13 PM
Gills

Taking the note from the silent one, who didn't even mutter a greetings Gills shakes his head before turning to Malcolm,

Looks like its going to be the start of a beautiful partnership doesn't Malcolm? But either way he's probably got the right idea no reason to leave those Ethos bastards and the amateurs to our safety and security.

Talking to the little robot had become a habit, something he could bounce his own ideas off of and try to talk sense into himself. Double checking his pack, Gills takes the sheet and heads off to go check the team's gear.

Lochar
2008-02-11, 09:23 PM
About 1100, over a dozen techs and mechanics start moving standard Gears into the ready area, shouting at each other and generally moving things as quickly as they can. Arms and ammo are loaded onto the Gears, and by 1140, the two dozen techs have finished the setup and preparations for the required number of Gears. One of the techs breaks off, heading for Gills.

"Rhimes? Looks like your tech in this outfit for Delta Foxtrot. You want to give a once over to the gears?" He points to the four standard Gears, plus a fifth standard looking one, but it has a huge rod for one arm. "Those five belong to your group. Number six is Chatanth, the mercenary's Gear." He motions to Hender where he is near his Gear. "He won't let us touch it minus refuels, so we won't put it in the ready slot."

Moral Wiz
2008-02-11, 10:56 PM
Nakiti Frinz

Nik arrived at around 1100; clutching a small device, and tampering with his glasses. He takes a seat in the corner, trying to be out of the way, so as he can work on his task.

Gig_Complex
2008-02-11, 11:27 PM
Gills

Before responding to the tech Gills smiles at the sight of Hender's Gear,

Yeah I wanted to make sure that the Gears were all clear, if I have to go out in the field I don't want something breaking down if my ass starts getting shot at. Oh and don't worry bout the merc, if Hender wants me to do field repairs he's going to have to let me get a look under the hood of that thing. Either way thought, after I finish with those five I'll go have a talk with him and see if he won't budge, cause there's no-one better then an Aveh mechanic.

After which he and Malcolm head towards the five Gears in the read-bays.

WrathOfLife
2008-02-12, 12:04 AM
Jake Leedium

Arriving at the Hanger at 1200 hours, Jake lug's all his non-important equipment into his gear (leaving him with his guns and ammo and grenades). Glancing around Jake nods happly to himself seeing Gills hard at work, Maybe that one has a use... maybe, before returning to the work of ensuring his gun's are well cleaned, which he does whilst sitting on his gear.

Moral Wiz
2008-02-12, 09:53 AM
Nakiti Frinz

The white haired intel officer gritted his teeth ever more as time went on; muttering even more under his breath, and fiddling with his new-found device as he used his glasses to work on... whatever he was doing.

Zinaida
2008-02-12, 12:59 PM
Bethela Abishai Fatima

Bethela enters and takes the nearest seat available. With a frown she begins, "I don't like the smell of this one, Sir. An intact ruins that we have intel on the condition of but hasn't been captured by us or Kislev yet? I don't trust it one bit and if things are as you say then a five man team would be sending lambs to the slaughter." She sighs momentarily and looks back to the Colonel. "Besides that.. are we sure what's been forgotten down there shouldn't be left forgotten?"

Lochar
2008-02-12, 05:52 PM
A few minutes to 1300, Colonel Birtriz enters the Gear hangar, Lieutenant Fatima behind him.

"Alright slackers!" he yells at the other techs and pilots. "Enough gawking. Find something to do."

Pilots and mechanics alike start finding things to do or leave. Some start working on their Gears, or cleaning up, depending on what they're near.

Birtriz continues towards you all. "Ah, the Misfits. Are you all ready to go out and play? You're leaving in five minutes, get in your Gears and get ready to move out!" He looks at the liuetenant. "You too. You may have begged someone I'd rather not piss off to give you a unit, but I'll be damned if I'm going to go easy on any of you."

WrathOfLife
2008-02-12, 08:24 PM
Jake Leedium

Standing and giving a quick salute, he slides gracefully into his Gear, shuffing all his equipment around so he can manage the controls better. And awaits the command to move out.

Hate. Gears.

Gig_Complex
2008-02-12, 10:59 PM
Gills

After saluting the Colonel and making a mental note to talk to Hender later Gills stowed Malcolm in his Gear before climbing in himself.

Moral Wiz
2008-02-13, 03:42 AM
Nakiti Frinz

Muttering under his breath, Nik's glasses dim as he stands, gives a salute to the officers, and enters the nearest standard gear; taking a moment to remind himself of the controls.

Heh. Even if this mission does sound... interesting, it's still a pleasure to be back in a gear.

Jensik
2008-02-13, 10:02 AM
Hender

Hender jumps into his gear, shuts the cockpit and instantly switches on the climate control.

I don't know what's the bigger threat; the Kislev or the desert.

The large white Gear, Chatanth, slowly and carefully maneuvers out of it's place in the hanger and stands behind the other five.

"Alright, let's get this over with while we're still young."

Gnarnia
2008-02-13, 11:24 AM
Emerson Wainright

Sitting in the dark cockpit of Weiß Ritter, Emerson's eyes opened at the sounds of the other gears switching on. It was the nature of man to ascribe personalities to objects which had none, and so it was that Emerson often sought solace in the cockpit of his gear.

Weiß Ritter, the white knight. As much as the name suggested protecting others, the eleven foot gear was a bit of a walking security blanket for the Etone.

"Time to for some action, eh old friend?" the Etone said, as if the gear were capable of answering him back. Flipping switches, the cockpit was bathed in the soft glow of monitors. Status readouts blinked to life... all systems operational.

Using a touch-sensitive screen, Emerson dragged-and-dropped the call signs of his fellow Misfits into a grouping for the comm system. As his gear powered up, he flipped open the communication channel.

"It's about time you slowpokes got here. We ready to move out?"

Moral Wiz
2008-02-13, 11:29 AM
Nakiti Frinz

A tad surprised at the chaplin's presence, Nik recovered well, and quickly opened a comms chanel.

So that's where you got to, friend. I was starting to worry you were so absorbed in the pursuit of higher things, you forgot where the hanger was.

Nik laughs, but there is no malice in it.

Gig_Complex
2008-02-13, 12:54 PM
Gills

Running the startup diagnostic program Gills turns on the comm system to respond,

Its looking like a nice day to go for a stroll through the desert don't cha think? Just go easy on these bloody machines, I don't quite look forward to fixing these hunks of scrap metal without a bay to do so.

Lochar
2008-02-13, 05:42 PM
Nov. 1, 1300 hours

You all leave the hanger, and within twenty minutes are outside the city and headed towards Dazil. Hender's Gear actually has to move a little slower to let the rest of you keep up, as his Gear has a longer stride that the rest of yours.

You all move at a forced march pace until nightfall, in six hours putting quite a bit of distance between yourselves and Beldavik. As none of you are tired, since your Gears are the ones walking and not yourselves, you can continue to go for several more hours or stop and make camp.

The night sky is filled with stars, and the desert around you is quiet with no life larger than cactus and lizards.

Moral Wiz
2008-02-13, 06:04 PM
Nakiti Frinz

Nik opens up comms with the others

You guys want to stop now? We could probably keep going a little more, but time means that I could get to work on encoding our comms systems beyond Aveh standard. If we might end up ruining near Kislev forces, that might worth it; them listening in on us may not be a good idea.

Jensik
2008-02-13, 06:12 PM
Hender

Hender didn't mind slowing his pace to match the others'. He was used to it from guarding supply trucks and caravans. When Nik chimes in to break the silence, he shakes his head.

They don't give up, do they?

"I'm fine, and you aren't touching my comms. If there comes a time where eavesdropping is a problem, I have my methods of getting messages through. Which reminds me, Luitenant... I'll need to speak to you about that privately."

After a short pause he groans, "I honestly can't see how your kingdom survives out here in this forsaken desert."

Moral Wiz
2008-02-13, 06:27 PM
Nakiti Frinz

Nik sighs, before reopening the contact

Heh. Tell me, how do we know when eavesdropping becomes a problem, before it is a problem? People aren't going to broadcast "We're now intercepting your comms?" They'll just wait for us, then start shooting. Now, personally I don't like that, and would rather stay out of the line of fire, until we can fire back. Better to have comms encrypted, and keep as safe as we can, rather than giving Kislev a free pass into our comms surely. Any half decent codebreaker can crack Aveh standard.

It's you're choice though LT. What'll we do?

Jensik
2008-02-13, 06:46 PM
Hender

Hender laughs, "Alright, let me rephrase that. You can't touch my comms. My entire system is written in another language that I don't care to take the time try to teach you or anyone else for that matter. Besides, I'm pretty sure I've already got a solid encryption."

Or at least I better, for the amount I paid that bastard.

WrathOfLife
2008-02-13, 07:40 PM
Jake leedium

Hate. Gears.

Rubbing out a muscle cramp in his leg, Jake shakes his head sadly. 5 or 6 days of more travel time to a friendly city and they think we'll be ambushed already.... useless. Saying nothing over the comm's Jake tries to relax into the steady motion of the gear. Happy to either keep going or get out, he keeps out of the conversation.

Zinaida
2008-02-13, 08:07 PM
Bethela Abishai Fatima

"Nik is right. We'll make modifications after we break for camp in seven hours." Bethela's response is monotonous and distant. "We can't spare any time wasted and if Kislev does get a fix on us we might as well go home to our court marshal."

Gig_Complex
2008-02-13, 08:29 PM
Gills

Sighing, Gills scratches his head at the rest of them,

Already arguing and we haven't even been a squad for a full day.

Hender you're going to need a bit more friendly, way I see it the higher-ups stuck you with us and you're here to stay. No reason to put cracks in a foundation that hasn't even been set yet.

Jensik
2008-02-13, 08:53 PM
Hender

Hender laughs again, "Oh, but haven't you heard? Mercs aren't part of the foundation. We're the slab you lay atop the foundation because we're less costly to replace."

Chatanth drops to one knee and lays the back end of the rifle on the ground and holds the other end in front of the cockpit to form a make-shift ramp. The chassis doesn't open just yet, as the pilot is not fond of the idea of voluntarily going out onto the sand.

Gig_Complex
2008-02-13, 09:10 PM
Gills

Letting out a laugh while getting his Gear into a kneeling position for easy exit, he adjusts his radio before exiting,

Doubtful, you probably cost the higher-ups a pretty penny and they wouldn't waste that money or allow a unique Gear to go down the drain on a suicide mission, but what do I know? After all I'm just a tech that has talent enough for three of those Ethos bastards.

WrathOfLife
2008-02-13, 09:24 PM
Jake Leedium

Why are they stopping... Jake has his gear keep moving, if it leaves him to a place at point, all the better. Moving to get in a more comfortable position he readies himself for another 7 hours moving forward in his gear, even if it means leaving some of the members behind. There useless to me anyway. Suddenly feeling that leg cramp again, Jake starts rubbing his leg, muttering about how much harder it would be to crack there comm system's if they just shutup.

Hate. Gears.

Gnarnia
2008-02-14, 06:50 AM
Emerson Wainright

*crackle*

"Gills and Hender, I think the Lieutenant meant we'd be stopping seven hours from now. If you just need a minute to stretch though, let us know." Emerson says over the comm while keeping pace behind Jake.

Gig_Complex
2008-02-14, 08:25 AM
Gills

Swatting himself upside his head Gills replies,

Ah sorry, she said she agreed with Nik so I assumed we were stopping for the moment, my mistake.

After which he settles himself back in the Gear before getting it back up on its feet.

Moral Wiz
2008-02-14, 08:33 AM
Nakiti Frinz

Sorry. My fault

After a short pause

And Hender... I'm sorry, but unless we're all working on one code, then we can't communicate with each other... Tell you what; it'll take me quite some time to come up with the code; that'll probably take one camping session, and more time to enter it into each gear. Why don't I save yours for last, and you can talk me through the interface? It'll be irritating, and probably take some time, but it's not imposable.

Jensik
2008-02-14, 02:36 PM
Hender

This guy just won't drop it! Am I going to have to shoot him to get through his thick skull? Damn that prime directive, it would be so much easier if I could just kill him.

In a single fluid motion, the Gears engine hums back to life and quickly rejoins the group.

"If you must then we shall compromise. You write the code, I'll input it into the system. Shouldn't be too hard."

Moral Wiz
2008-02-14, 02:42 PM
Nakiti Frinz

What is up with this guy? What the hell is making him so adverse to me encrypting his system?

Do you know how to imput such a program? It takes at least passable computer skills. You know enough? If so, I'll let you try it. But if you can't get it working before we reach our destination, you let me work on it, and talk me through the language. Deal?

Lochar
2008-02-14, 05:32 PM
((Go ahead and keeping argueing about things if you wish, I'm moving you all a bit forward))

Nov. 2, 0200 hours

You all stop after another seven hours of walking through the desert in your Gears, the moon high over head in a cloudless night. The night air is quite chilled, the result of there being no moisture in the air to maintain a stable temperature. All around you is bare land, the few sand dunes in the area only rising at most five or so feet into the air. Plant life consists mainly of cactus.


The current hunk of desert you are all in.


░░░░░░▒░░░░░░░▒░░░▒░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒░░░░░░░▒░░░
░▒░░░░░░░▒░░░▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░▒░░░░░░░▒░░░▒░░░░
░░░░░░▒░░░░░░░▒░░░▒░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░X░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒░░░░░░░▒░░░
░▒░░░░░░░▒░░░▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░▒░░░░░░░▒░░░▒░░░░

X = You are here, roughly.

░ is sand
▒ is sand dunes or cactus, both would give partial cover from the direction you are hiding behind against medium sized creatures.

WrathOfLife
2008-02-14, 07:47 PM
Jake Leedium

Kicking open the cockpit door Jake dicides its time to be social again. "I'll go secure the perimeter, switching to radio" His voice sounds like a rock is trying to talk, but before giving any more details he hops down, he works his legs and then all but disappears from sight.


[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Am awear of everything inside 60 feet.

Moving NE, loading in a clip of standard rounds into Hand-of-God, then two rounds of Double moving NE, arching around to secure a 100 feet around the group.

Lochar
2008-02-14, 07:54 PM
Jake moves around, darting from dune to dune, keeping an eye over everything as his gun moves, tracking things. You can feel and see the sands moving slightly, disturbed by your passing, north of the group there is a small monitor lizard, but that is the limit of living creatures in the area that you can sense or see.

Zinaida
2008-02-14, 08:13 PM
Bethela Abishai Fatima

"Hender, go scout out the perimeter opposite of Leedium. Emerson, Gills, you two make camp while Nik gives your Gears the once-over. I want rotating shifts by 0300." Bethela trundles up onto the edge of a dune and plays with her sensors while silently humming to herself. Whatever is out there ...

Lochar
2008-02-14, 08:20 PM
Bethela's Gear flattens the sand dune slightly from the weight, but she doesn't notice as she activates her sensors and hits the local area with it, but doesn't come up with anything of note.

Jensik
2008-02-14, 08:59 PM
Hender

Hender is seconds away from screaming into his comm unit, until he realizes who was ordering him around. With a quiet cough and polite affirmation, he takes his gear to the south to survey the area.


[roll0]
[roll1]

Lochar
2008-02-14, 10:23 PM
The south area comes back just as dry and empty as the area you stopped in. Nothing to see for miles around but the rest of the squad.

Gig_Complex
2008-02-14, 10:30 PM
Gills

Stopping his Gear and getting it into the dismount position, Gills radios over to the others before exiting,

Roger that

After exiting Gills pulls out the necessities before starting to make camp.

Moral Wiz
2008-02-15, 02:30 AM
Nakiti Frinz

Nik drops out of his gear, but doesn't turn it off yet, He stands next to it, as he starts muttering, and making use of his glasses.

Gills, mind double checking my work once you're done? We need this ready quick, otherwise it's going to waste too much time.

WrathOfLife
2008-02-15, 08:58 AM
Jake leedium

Having completed his duties Jake jumps on the radio again. "I've got first shift." There going to think I'm a real chatter box after all this. I'm no better than Intel. Moving back out to the open, Jake begins a large slow circuit around the camp at 100 feet. Moving slow, and keeping low, Jake, armed with his rifle, is the splitting image of a hunter at work.


[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Gnarnia
2008-02-15, 09:26 AM
Emerson Wainright

Emerson does as instructed, powering down his gear and breaking camp.

"He's all yours, Gills", gesturing towards Weiss Ritter.

While normally he might be chattier, the days journey has left him quite tired and he prepares to turn in as soon as it's his shift to sleep.

Moral Wiz
2008-02-15, 04:44 PM
Nakiti Frinz

Leaning against his now stationary gear, Nik muttered under his breath in a fury of vocal commands. If and when Gills comes to help him, he'll move over to the mechanic's gear, never ceasing in his flow of commands.

after an hour or two, Nik'll sigh

That's the source. Half way there.

With that, irrespective of the lateness of the hour, Nik heads for the gears, intent on getting the encryption up ASAP, irrespective of how far into the night it'll take him.

Gig_Complex
2008-02-16, 11:29 PM
Gills

After finishing setting up camp, Gills made his way over to Nik raising his hand in greeting,

Since this is your code, lead the way mate.

[roll0]

Moral Wiz
2008-02-17, 07:27 AM
Nakiti Frinz

Nik smiles at Gills help. They begin exchanging ideas with incredible frequency. However, it doesn't really seem to help. Nik makes no mention of the fact though, and indeed, he seems not to notice.

Moral Wiz
2008-02-17, 03:41 PM
Partially to try and prompt a reaction, part to keep us on page 1

Nakiti Frinz

The white-haired intel officer worked whilst the rest of his squad slept. He didn't permit himself to rest until the code was operational, and running on all machines

Which took him well into the night. It was not until the final watch that he permitted himself to sleep. He dragged himself to consciousness as the others were beginning to move out, and sought out Lieutenant Fatima. He's got bags under his eyes, but manages to hold himself to attention, and give a reasonable salute.

The comms are now heavily secured marm. The encryption's been built from the ground up. Should be ready to roll.

Zinaida
2008-02-18, 09:44 PM
Bathela Abisha Fatima

"Good, good." She pauses for a moment, pursing her lips and cupping her chin thoughtfully. "Nik. How well do you think we can effect repairs out here? There's no convoy on this run till we hit Dazil and I don't suspect Ethos to part willingly with it's equipment. We shouldn't' expect combat so early but if we lose a Gear to trivial things like sand.. well that's a loss we can't afford right now."

WrathOfLife
2008-02-18, 09:45 PM
Jake Leedium

Moving quickly through the night, Jake dicides its time for him to get some shut eye when the geeks head off to bed. Hunting down Hender's bed, Jake wakes him the fastest way he knows how. One swift kick to the head later and a quick mutter of "Your turn on watch" and Jake was back stalking away in the darkness to set up his bed, slightly apart from the others.

Digging himself a little sandbunk, Jake throws down his sleeping bag and gets as much sleep as he can.


wakey wakey, rise and shaky. Can we just fast forward to morning? (I assume Hender will try to get back at Jake btw, so feel free to do it in good faith)


*edit Ninja'ed by an officer -_-

Jensik
2008-02-19, 12:11 AM
Hender

Hender grabs his head as it begins to throb. "What the hell? Is this what passes for manners here? Just because you live like savages in the middle of the desert, for heaven knows why, doesn't give you free reign to act like one."

Alright, the computer jockey gets a reprieve. This bastard is on my list.

Moral Wiz
2008-02-19, 01:57 AM
Bathela Abisha Fatima

"Good, good." She pauses for a moment, pursing her lips and cupping her chin thoughtfully. "Nik. How well do you think we can effect repairs out here? There's no convoy on this run till we hit Dazil and I don't suspect Ethos to part willingly with it's equipment. We shouldn't' expect combat so early but if we lose a Gear to trivial things like sand.. well that's a loss we can't afford right now."

Nakiti Frinz

Nik holds his head to his hands for a moment, considering.

Depends. I'm guessing Gills will have some tools with him. If he doesn't, I took a basic mechanical kit. We don't have a full repair bay, so it won't be perfect, (leaving aside possible weather) but we can probably do all right. Hell, Gills strikes me as more than competent enough to manage to keep everything in order with next to nothing. We'll be ok on that score I think

Lochar
2008-02-19, 10:17 AM
Assuming sleeping was 8 hours, then thirty minutes to get moving. Continue on with your conversations as needed. Correct me on sleep times if needed.

Nov. 2, 1130 hours

The six of you manage to get everything ready to move within thirty minutes of everyone being awake. You quickly enter your gears and get them moving, heading in the generally west direction you were yesterday.

1630 hours
Spot checks please.

Moral Wiz
2008-02-19, 12:43 PM
Assuming sleeping was 8 hours, then thirty minutes to get moving. Continue on with your conversations as needed. Correct me on sleep times if needed.

Nov. 2, 1130 hours

The six of you manage to get everything ready to move within thirty minutes of everyone being awake. You quickly enter your gears and get them moving, heading in the generally west direction you were yesterday.

1630 hours
Spot checks please.


LAG!

[roll0]Spot

EDIT Hrumph. Brilliant start. Let's hope someone else gets luckier.

WrathOfLife
2008-02-19, 06:57 PM
[roll0] Lag also...

Gig_Complex
2008-02-19, 09:56 PM
Gills

[roll0]

Lochar
2008-02-20, 08:26 AM
Anyone who makes an 18 or better spot:
In the distance, probably two to three hundred feet off, there is an odd, moving swell in the sand, moving generally in your direction. It's moving probably three times as fast as your group is and will pass within a hundred feet of you if you keep going this direction.

Anyone who makes a 28 spot or better:

The swell seems to actually be two seperate waves, possibly.

Jensik
2008-02-20, 09:35 AM
Filler text
[roll0]

Zinaida
2008-02-20, 05:14 PM
[roll0] my Spot check

Lochar
2008-02-21, 04:09 PM
As you all travel along the sands, there is a very loud rumbling, and you see headed in your direction a very quickly moving, sand dune?

The moving sand is probably twenty to thirty feet in length and at least ten feet wide. It's moving towards you all at a very, very fast pace.

It's about eighty feet out from you when you all spot it.

Roll init please.

Init: [roll0]

Jensik
2008-02-21, 04:20 PM
Hender

"Incoming! Heads up!" Not wasting any time, Hender takes aim with his Gear's rifle and fires a beam at the mass, not sure if it would be effective through the sand.


[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Moral Wiz
2008-02-21, 05:25 PM
Nakiti Frinz

Oh, great

The tired Nik quickly diverts from his current course, to the right of their current position, opening fire on the moving thing below with his chaingun, shells rattling towards it.

[roll0]Int

[roll1]Attack (-1 for Fatigue)

[roll2] Damage

WrathOfLife
2008-02-21, 07:38 PM
Jake Leedium

Seeing Intel move right, Jake lumbers his mecha towards the left, while laying down suppressing fire.


[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Gig_Complex
2008-02-22, 08:48 AM
Gills

Seeing the others take action, Gills tightens his harness before moving into position,

Damnit, I'm a tech not a bloody Gear Jockey

Int: [roll0]
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Zinaida
2008-02-22, 06:29 PM
Bethela Abishai Fatima

"Hold your fir.." Bethela yelled across the com before she saw the sand dune. "Neg, fire at will! I repeat; fire at will!" And does so herself after stepping a few cautionary paces back.


Initiative Roll [roll0]
Attack Roll [roll1]
Damage Roll [roll2]

Lochar
2008-02-22, 11:16 PM
OOC:
Gnarnia has not posted anywhere since the 15th. Turn forfeited.

You all open fire at the moving sand, the heat from Hender's rifle actually glassing the sand, but none of you are sure if your shots did any true damage. Emerson freezes at the sight of the enormous moving sand dune, not certain what firing a weapon at something that gargantuan would actually do.

The mass moves through the sand at an incredible pace, until something surfaces twenty feet from Hender's Gear. Mouth segmented into four pieces, and body breaking the sand as it rises, you recognize it's form as one of the sandworms that live under the desert. It's body is covered in protruding little natural digging implements, that allow it to actually move under the sand faster than it can on top of the sand. There are a few scorch marks and bullet holes in the creature, so at Hender and at least one of you managed to mark it on it's way to you.

It rears it's body up to it's full height, even taller than Hender's gear. The digging implements on it's body move rapidly, but on the surface of the sand only drag it's body at a third of the pace it had set under the ground as it moves to Hender.

All:
Double move for the sandworm to get in front of Hender. It'll draw an AoO from Hender if he wants to take one, but you cannot take an AoO with a ranged weapon.
K: Earth and Life science checks if you want to get more detail on this thing.

Map:


░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░NN░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░NN░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░GG░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░WWWW░░░░░░░░░░░░░GG░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░WWWWHHH░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░WWWWHHH░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░WWWWHHH░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░EE░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░EE░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░BB░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░BB░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░JJ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░JJ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░

Jensik
2008-02-25, 04:05 PM
Hender

Hender was struck with a wave of thoughts and emotions. Not truly a wave, as a wave would be a force moving in a single direction. No, this was more like a maelstrom, twisting him in many directions at once. Dozens of thoughts screamed through his mind as he stared into the gaping maw of this beast, some urging him to flee, others compelling him to fight. Amidst the torrent of thought, just one stood out loud enough to force him into a decision:

Die here, and he wins.

With a newfound will to survive, Hender wrenches Chatanth's arm controls and strikes at it's mouth... pieces? Using the impact as an opportunity, he backs up a step and once again opens fire.


[roll0] using Rifle butt
[roll1] Assuming, of course, it hits.

5-foot step back (or can we take larger steps since we occupy more space? I'll move however far I can without needing a move action. He'll probably get an AoO since he has such a long reach.)

[roll2] FIRE!
[roll3] FIRE! (damage)

Lochar
2008-02-25, 04:26 PM
Hender's rifle strikes true, but is caught in the mass of tunneling feelers of the worm and deals it no true damage.

As he steps back and brings his rifle to bear, the worm strikes out itself.

Taking the sandworm AoO.
As this is the first time I've statted out this creature, expect oddities on my rolls as I adjust them to seeing how well you all fight against it.

Attack: [roll0]
CC: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Reduce your damage by your gear's hardness.

Chatanth shrugs off the damage, but Hender can see the acidic bite of the creature leaves it's marks on the armor of his gear.

As it can't eat fuel, instead it eats Hardness!

Reduce your hardness by one point until your Gear is repaired.

WrathOfLife
2008-02-25, 05:58 PM
Jake Leedium

Well, looks like the Merc isn't doing too badly...
What a shame, I would have liked to try his Gear.
Moving to the NW, and postioning to avoid friendly cross-fire. Jake lets lose another round of fire.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Moral Wiz
2008-02-26, 01:58 AM
Nakiti Frinz

Nik echoes the movements of his silent counterpart

[roll0]
[roll1]

Gig_Complex
2008-02-26, 11:41 AM
Gills

Moving to position himself so he wouldn't accidentally hit one of his squad mates Gills raises the Gear's rifle,

Looks like you're going to have to let me take a look at that gear of yours anyways Hender.

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
Edit: Had to close the tags

Zinaida
2008-02-26, 11:25 PM
Bethela Abishai Fatima


Bethela back peddles quickly after seeing the worm's bite, trying to move around it and get a clear angle with no friendlies caught across or in between before firing again. "Set up your fields of fire and pull back, I repeat pull back! Don't let that thing get close!"

Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]

OOC: AAAWWW YYYEEAAAHHH

Lochar
2008-02-27, 02:47 PM
You all open fire on the sandworm, but only Hender and Bethela have the frame of mind or closeness to shoot for weak points in the creatures extremely tough hide.

The fires of Hender's shots don't burn it quite as badly as he hoped, and Bethela's bullets almost completely ricochet off of it, only a few sinking in and causing true damage.

The worm lashes out again at Hender, who is still within distance of him.


Attack: [roll0]
CC: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Lose another point of hardness if you're hit again.

Map:


░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░NN░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░NN░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░GG░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░WWWW░░░░░░░░░░░░░GG░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░WWWW░HHH░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░WWWW░HHH░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░WWWW░HHH░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░EE░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░EE░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░BB░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░BB░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░JJ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░JJ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░

WrathOfLife
2008-02-27, 06:53 PM
Jake Leedium

With a quick angery glance at the officer's gear, Jake begins to move backward (south) slowly, still laying down his fire, in an attempt to hit anything. "Roger that, falling back."

[roll0]
[roll1]

Gig_Complex
2008-02-29, 02:47 PM
Gills

Gills shouts as he moves northward (up on the map) to get a better angle of fire before opening fire,

Damn it this thing is starting to piss me off

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Moral Wiz
2008-02-29, 03:21 PM
Nakiti Frinz

Nik continues firing, although now he's stationary

[roll0]Attack

[roll1]Damage

Jensik
2008-03-02, 06:22 PM
Hender

Fall back, easy for them to say.

Hender moves another step back before firing his rifle again.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Lochar
2008-03-04, 09:29 AM
Strike 3, Gnarnia.


As Hender again fires at the worm, it strikes back at him at the opportunity provided.
You're using a ranged weapon, so it can take AoO on you. You're now 10' from it.
A:[roll0]
CC:[roll1]
Damage:[roll2]

1 more point of hardness loss.

The worm's attack of opportunity against Hender knocks the huge Gear's gun wide and the shot hits sand in the distance.

Gills and Nick manage to get solid hits against the creature, although Gills' bullets seem nearly ineffictive and Nick's not too much better.

Bethela continues to shout out orders to fall back.

You all hear a rumbling and look around, only to see Emerson's Gear flailing about, sinking into the sand. Before anyone can do anything, the Gear disappears underneath the waves of the sand.

The sandworm again attacks Hender, the closest Gear.

A:[roll3]
CC:[roll4]
Damage:[roll5]

1 more point of hardness loss.

Gig_Complex
2008-03-04, 05:49 PM
Gills

After pulling back and opening fire Gills notices Emerson go down,

Holy ****! Emerson's down. I repeat Emerson is down.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
I had a better response typed out then the forums went and crapped out on me.

WrathOfLife
2008-03-04, 10:21 PM
Jake Leedium

Seeing Emerson's gear go down, Jake shows his shock in the slight batting of an eyelid. That was dangerously close to the Officer....

Moving back towards the group in an attempt to re-enforce the OIC, Jake lets loose another round of fire.


[roll0]
[roll1]

Moral Wiz
2008-03-08, 02:40 PM
Nakiti Frinz

Cursing at the loss of the chaplain, Nik just keeps firing

[roll0]Attack
[roll1] Damage

Lochar
2008-03-17, 08:30 AM
Bethela continues to shout at you all, and you notice her voice crack sharper over the comms at the loss of the chaplain.

Concerted fire at the creature creates several more holes in it, and the thing roars in pain. It dives into the sand, and you can see it tunneling away at a very, very fast pace.

Within seconds, the thing is a hundred feet out under the sand, traveling away from you all.

Gig_Complex
2008-03-17, 08:54 PM
Gills

Panting heavily into his comm unit Gills sighs as he lets his Gear go back into standby for the moment,

I don't know what the hell that thing was but I'll be damned if I'm not glad to see it go. Now what the hell happened to Emerson? I didn't think there were any pitfalls in this area.

Edit: Closed tags

Jensik
2008-03-18, 12:26 AM
Hender

Pitfalls? As if I didn't have enough reasons to hate this desert.

Hender brings his gear to a halt and opens the vent seals on his rifle to cool is off.

"Damn those sand worms. At least last time I had some other bastard to take all the hits. Any way we can get underground for here? Or is the poor sap as good as dead?"

Moral Wiz
2008-03-18, 07:36 AM
Nakiti Frinz

Can't think of any. Anyone else got a way to get under the sand? Failling that, we probably should go on. If that things leaving, it might be bringing back friends.

WrathOfLife
2008-03-18, 10:54 PM
Jake Leedium

Seeing the situation back under control. Jake moves over to the OIC's gear to act as living cover for the gear in the case of another attack.

Although slightly concerned by the sudden disappearnce of a team mate, Jake says nothing, believing the others will reach a conclusion on the matter shortly.