PDA

View Full Version : Homonculus Manual

kirbsys
2008-02-06, 10:43 PM
So this is an idea that I came up with a while ago when a DM said that I couldn't but any magical items for my fourth level Cleric/Wizard. I decided to run this by him as a way to spend my gold, unfortunately he shot it down without looking at it... So what do you guys think?

Homunculus Manual: A Homunculus Manual contains information, incantations and magical power that help a character to craft a homunculus (see page xxx of the Monster Manual). The instructions therein grant a +5 competence bonus on skill checks made to craft the homunculus’ body. The manual also holds the prerequisite spells needed for the homunculus, effectively grants the builder use of the Craft Construct feat (see page 303 of the Monster Manual) during the construction of the homunculus, and grants the character an increase to her caster level for the purpose of creating a homunculus. Any homunculus built using a homunculus manual does ot cost the creator any XP, since the requisite XP are “contained” in the book and “expended” by the book during the creation process.
The spells included in a homunculus manual require a spell trigger activation and can be activated only to assist in the construction of a homunculus. The cost of the book does not include the cost of constructing the homunculus’ body. Once the homunculus is finished, the writing in the book fades and the book is consumed in flames. When the book’s ashes are sprinkled on the homunculus, it becomes fully animated.
This book contains arcane eye, mirror image, and mending. The reader may treat her caster level as one level higher than normal for the purpose of crafting a homunculus. This book supplies 78 XP for the creation of a homunculus.
Moderate divination, illusion, and transmutation; CL 7; Craft Construct, creator must be caster level 7th, arcane eye, mirror image, mending; Price 1150 gp; Cost 380 + 30 XP; weight 5 lb.

Citations: Thanks to the guys at WOTC for the Golem Manual's which this used as a template.

I got the price and things by using math finding ratios for how much the books were each worth compared to how much the rules say they SHOULD be worth, but I can't remember what the exact equations were I made this a couple months ago.

Caracol
2008-02-07, 11:13 AM
Nice idea.
Make also different kinds of Homunculus Manuals, adding special abilities that the homunculus gains if crafted in this way (increasing the manual's cost, of course)