View Full Version : The Daemon [A fluff-less monster]

magic_unlocked
2008-02-08, 03:44 PM
The Daemon.
Large Outsider [Extraplanar, Evil]
Hit Dice: 15d8 + 90 + 15 (180 HP)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 50ft
Armor Class: 27 (-1 size, +3 dex, +5 insight, +10 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+29
Attack: Claw +30 melee (1d8 +10, 19-20/x2) or Slam +30 melee (1d8 +10, 19-20/x2)
Full-Attack: 2 claws +30 melee (1d8 +10, 19-20/x2) or 2 slams +30 melee (1d8 +10, 19-20/x2)
Space/Reach: 10ft/10ft
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, Rend
Special Qualities: Reduction Field, Damage Reduction 26/cold iron or magic or good, Fast Healing 5, Spell Resistance 25, True Seeing, Immunity to Fire, Flaming Body, dark vision 60ft, Insight
Saves: fort +15 / ref +12 / will +14
Abilities: STR 30, DEX 16, CON 23, INT 23, WIS 20, CHA 22
Skills: Pending
Feats: Improved initiative, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Toughness, Greater Resiliency
Environment: Pending
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: Pending
Alignment: Always Neutral Evil
Treasure: Pending

This creature, the Daemons, are an elite group of demonic outsiders that specialize in the double-dealings of information. They serve both sides of the Blood War, but only to the highest bidder, or sometimes both. They relish close-range combat and are not above in joining either side of the feud. However, Demons and Devils instantly recognize a Daemon and will not kill it by orders of the higher ups, even Balors and Pit Fiends obey this order, usually.

Special Attacks:

Spell-like abilities: At Will Quickened True Strike, 2/day haste. Caster Level 15
1/week Greater Scrying, Foresight Caster Level 20

Rend: A Daemon that hits with two claw attacks can rend the target dealing additional damage equal to 2d6 + 10 damage.

Special Qualities:

Flaming Body: The body of a daemon is wreathed in flame. Anyone grappling a daemon takes 1d6 points of fire damage per round.

Insight: The nature of a daemon sees multiple time streams at once, to a very minor limited effect. It gains its wisdom modifier as a bonus to AC and to attack rolls. This bonus is in effect even it is bound or helpless and looses this bonus if it becomes dazed, stunned or unconscious.

Reduction Field: The nature of a demon is highly destructive to surrounding energy, regardless of its source. Any spell, spell-like ability, supernatural ability, psionic power or psi-like ability cast at a daemon, or an area effect that targets a daemon suffers a -4 caster/manifester level and a -2 to the DCs of the spell or power.

True Seeing: A daemon is under a constant true seeing effect.

------

Okay, I made this monster out of boredom and have yet to actually test it so I need a CR for it. And I have yet to make fluff for this beastie as well. What says the playground for fluff ideas concerning this creature?

Edit 1.0: Added some flavor text.

Caracol
2008-02-08, 04:04 PM
Not easy to say. Damn, without a description or unique abilities, it could be practically everything. That's ther reason you'd better think about the concept first.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-08, 04:10 PM
lol. Tell me about it. To be honest, I don't really know myself. Its kinda why I submitted it to the will of the Playground.

Perhaps it has some kind of origin with mixing a bit of the timestream within itself? It may explain why it has the insight and reduction abilities. ^^;;;

Caracol
2008-02-08, 04:43 PM
Perhaps it has some kind of origin with mixing a bit of the timestream within itself? It may explain why it has the insight and reduction abilities. ^^;;;

Maybe, but this fits better with a caster-type of moster, not a damage dealer like this one. Lower the attacks and add more spells, in this case.

For the monster apperence or other abilities, try taking inspiration from mythological stuff, there's plenty of them.

PirateMonk
2008-02-08, 04:58 PM
Change the alignment to Always neutral evil. Unless its unique, which it doesn't seem to be, in which case you should say so on the organization line.

Rigon
2008-02-08, 05:12 PM
it could be an evil outsider with the kick of a prophet.
maybe a chaos prophet(i think fire fits chaos more) or a doom prophet(this would be fear/shadow based i think).
summoned by a wizard who wants information through divination or simply appearing in the material realm while playing with the threads of time.

of course it could be also the part of a (demonic) council. this time-thread thing sounds like that.

the race itself should be possessed by time. maybe fallen avatars of a time-relative deity. punished to be demons because they burned some threads of the past.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-09, 04:30 PM
Put in a little bit of fluff as noted by the edit.

Uthug
2008-02-09, 07:42 PM
Any reason for why they have some sort of diplomatic immunity?

magic_unlocked
2008-02-09, 09:03 PM
Yeah, i guess i didn't explain it well enough. These guys are, essentially, double-agents. But, both sides know this. They are skilled in obtaining information then sell it to either side.

Kinda like Snape from the harry potter books. Both sides knew he was a double agent, but he was so far into the inner circle that he was too valuable to kill off. That's how these guys are. Or, at least, what i'm modeling them as. They just know things, as demonstrated by their ability to cast Greater Scrying. Though, I'm thinking that they should have other Divination abilities as well....

Rigon
2008-02-10, 04:40 PM
i think... uhm.
well then only thing it needs now is a new name.
"Daemon" tells nothing about the thing and it's kinda the second name of all demons. and they are not (just) with the demons.

EvilElitest
2008-02-10, 06:07 PM
i think... uhm.
well then only thing it needs now is a new name.
"Daemon" tells nothing about the thing and it's kinda the second name of all demons. and they are not (just) with the demons.

Weren't Daemon's a creature in 2E?
from
EE

Rigon
2008-02-10, 06:13 PM
Weren't Daemon's a creature in 2E?
from
EE

uhm might be true. the only thing i saw from 2E was a cover of a PHB i think.

EvilElitest
2008-02-10, 06:16 PM
uhm might be true. the only thing i saw from 2E was a cover of a PHB i think.

I recall they were like Yugloth in some manner, though i don't have any books now
from
EE

FlyMolo
2008-02-10, 07:09 PM
This is crazy. This thing has a +50 ish to hit every round. Give up on armor, you're already dead. Why DR 26 exactly? I like it that it's not a round number, but is there a reason?

Also, this is really approaching CR 15-20. Which is a good thing, I guess, but I can't use it till later.

puppyavenger
2008-02-10, 07:22 PM
Daemons were the name for yugloths in 1 and 2ed, IIRC.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-11, 01:48 AM
Ah, yeah, I think I need to change the name on it then. When I originally built it, it was fluff-less and the name "daemon" popped into my mind so I ran with it. As to why it has DR 26, it has a feat, Greater Resiliancy. Improves DR by +1. So I included it in the statistics block.