PDA

View Full Version : Prison Break (IC)



warlock2000
2008-02-09, 10:26 AM
For what feels like weeks you have been held in this room. There are others with you. Your captor come at random and take those sleeping away. You feel stronger then you did when you got here. These are not ordinary people who hold you. Your cage is of lightning and fire, rather then stone and steel. Each of them seems cold and calculating almost studying you as your held. A few of you don't return when taken. This torment could be eternal you thought at times. However today this all changes. The guards have left for almost an hour now. Sounds of a distance conflict ring through periodically. Then the big change, the cages vanish you see each other clearly. There is only one door out with a stone dragon head above it.

Jay Emby
2008-02-09, 12:07 PM
Logan

Undeniably a fighting man, this human's massive muscles strain against his skin, thick blue veins tendril like snakes over his body. He leaps at this sudden chance for freedom, springing from his feet like the mightiest lion straight to the wall with the door.

He is not concerned with the other captives. Escape is all that matters. Those who will help Logan will follow. Those too cowardly to attempt this will stay behind. Those are the only two choices. There's no need to debate, not for this fighting man.

Logan approaches from about ten feet to the side, back to the wall, so as not to face the dragon's head directly. It's so obviously a magical guardian. yet Logan does not think it is - his arrogant captors are unlikely to distrust their own magic so much that they'd put in a back-up. Yet just to be sure, he creeps along the wall toward the door.

Then, assuming the dragon head doesn't breathe fire on him, he listens at the door. Listen: [roll0]

browng-08
2008-02-09, 12:51 PM
Hector

Hector slowly rises, taking his time to stretch. he listens carefully to the sounds of combat, expecting guards to enter any second now. he surveys his new allies and sizes them up. Which are less equipped to make this dangerous escape? He must rember to balance the needs of himself with the needs oth those around him.
Listen - 1d20+9

EDIT: I can't get the dice to work. What am I doing wrong?

#Raptor
2008-02-09, 01:20 PM
Akiano

The young elf gets up and looks around to see if he notices anything unusual... except for the deactivated cage.
[roll0]

Then he decides to seize the opportunity, running behind the massively build human. First he decides to listen, careful not to touch the door he moves up to it. "Sssh... let me see if I can hear them."
[roll1]

Regardless of what he heard, he then checks the door for traps or anything alike. Seems only likey that they might have trapped this somehow...
[roll2]

((OOC: @Browng: do [*roll*]1d20+5[*/roll*], just without the stars.))

browng-08
2008-02-09, 01:29 PM
((OOC @ #Raptor: Not working!))

warlock2000
2008-02-09, 02:35 PM
As Logan and Akiano approach the door, Akiano notices the eyes of the statue light up. The sounds of battle seem to stop for a moment then there is a loud fierce howl then silence.

browng-08
2008-02-09, 02:51 PM
Hector

"I can't here anything. What has happened?"

Listen check: [roll0]

Jay Emby
2008-02-09, 02:54 PM
Logan

Was that an alarm followed by magical silence? Either way, It seems our captors have been alerted. Do I smash the door and burst into an unknown situation? Or do I let them come at me? Damn wizards, though, they can probably see through the wall. They'll just wait me out. And as long as I'm here, I'm a prisoner. Screw it, I'm going.

Logan reaches for the door. If it doesn't open easily, he'll smash it down.

Zincorium
2008-02-09, 03:31 PM
Oomaskay

Oom ***** an ear at the howl. (Knowledge nature [roll0]+6 to see if type of creature can be identified)

As Logan walks up to the door, Oom runs up behind him.
"Hey now, let's be careful with this. If there is something dangerous on the other side, it'd be a bad thing to open it without being prepared to fight, yes? If we want to survive, we're going to have to focus our effort on just that."

(ooc: is there a better word than a synonym for rooster for what I'm trying to do? The censorship of something inoffensive is annoying.)

Jay Emby
2008-02-09, 03:46 PM
("Bends an ear toward" would work)

Logan

If Logan can hear Oom (That is, if I'm wrong about the magical silence), he pauses, his hand about to try opening the door, to say "The longer we wait, the more likely they are to set up out there. Right now, they've only had ten seconds' warning that I'm busting out. You now have ten seconds to prepare for a fight before I bust out. I'm ready."

If he can't hear Oom, he's trying the door, then smashing it if he needs to.

(Logan really will be a team player, but right now he doesn't know any of you. Those that come with him will have his trust, loyalty and he will be much more likely to wait to plan with you.)

warlock2000
2008-02-09, 04:03 PM
Everyone can hear each other, the sound you heard is like no natural creature you can think of. The sound of scraping against stone breaks the silence on the other side of the door.

browng-08
2008-02-09, 04:04 PM
Hector
Hector moves to crouch about 5 feet to the left of Logan, agaist the wall that the door is set in. He prepares himself for the likelyhood of combatants on the other side of the door. His fists raise in a defensive stance. He is ready to take anyone who enters through that door by surprise.:smallcool:

Hide check- [roll0]

Zincorium
2008-02-09, 04:11 PM
"Here goes everything."

Oom shifts into the form of a large wild dog and prepares to lunge through the door as soon as it opens.

Jay Emby
2008-02-09, 04:32 PM
Oh, Logan does give Akiano time to check the door as he wanted

warlock2000
2008-02-09, 08:12 PM
As the scratching gets closer there is a loud clang and some whimpering, then another clang and the silence beyond the door returns.

deathbyhokie
2008-02-09, 08:50 PM
Corwin
Tallsih, and thin as a rail, Corwin lurks at the back of the group, both sizing up his allies, and trying to assess his options when they door opens. He'll also take the opportunity to cast Mage Armor on himself, and then he'll do his best to conceal himself in the shadows at the corner of the rooms

Hide Check: [roll0]

"So, I suppose this is a prudent time to ask if anyone knows what's going on here?

#Raptor
2008-02-10, 05:36 AM
Akiano

The elf looks back at the group and keeping his voice as much down as possible, says "I don't know. But we need to get out of here... if we stay here any longer we're gonna die to our captors anyway, like the other prisoners before us. This might be our only chance. Everbody ready for whatever is behind that door?"

Then he attempts to pick the lock (however, he does not open it yet).
[roll0]
((OOC: normally it's +12 but got a -2 penality for no tools))

Jay Emby
2008-02-10, 10:32 AM
Logan

The big guy nods as Akiano deals with the door, and whispers "open it, I'll go first - with that dogman right behind me, right pooch?"

He ruffles the hair on Oomasky's head, then turns to Corwin and grins. "I know exactly what's going on here: We're leaving."

warlock2000
2008-02-10, 10:45 AM
The door flies open, there are large iron spikes extending from the wall, through two people who appear dead. There seems many more holes in the wall where things may come out. You see a door ajar at the end of the hall.

Jay Emby
2008-02-10, 11:21 AM
Logan

Logan begins his rush out the door, but halts immediately as he takes in the scene. First he waves at Oom to stay. No sense charging out into that! "I assume your skill with the door applies to spikes in the wall, too." he says to Akiano. He waves the roguish captive on out forward.

We're through the door. We're free. Now we can take our time figuring this thing out. Logan turns back to the room and asks the crowd, "Are there any sticks or stones back there? Bones? Shards of glass? A hammer, even? Maybe a rat?"

browng-08
2008-02-10, 12:16 PM
Hector
"I think the trigger for that trap is in this dragon head. Remember how it lit up? I think we need to deactivate this dragon head, because most if not all the passages oustdie will be impassable with that trap."

Hector looks out the doo to study the situation. Are there spikes (holes for spikes to come out) on the ceiling? The floor? Where on the wall are they situated? How far apart, and how low/ high on the wall are they? "In the event that there is no way to disable the spikes from here, we may need to send someone to search for another way. Someone who can safely navigate through this mess."

Kanti
2008-02-10, 12:35 PM
(Sorry for not having been here yester day ive been busy. ill read and up and fall into the story later.)OOC

Edit: Im thinking it may be easyier to maker me of those that was takin away.

warlock2000
2008-02-10, 02:16 PM
@browng-08 - The holes are on the floor, ceiling and walls of the hall way. They are set in such a way you can see a pattern where they will not hit but it would require some timed jumping.

@Kanti- no just start now with everyone.

#Raptor
2008-02-10, 03:04 PM
Akiano

Listening to both of his fellow escapees after each other, he decides on the apparently not as lethal option. He turns to Logan, saying: "I might be able to make it through this alive, but... I'd rather take a look at the dragons head first, as our friend here suggested."

((OOC: Everything below is assuming the head is to high mounted for my 4'08 tall elf to reach it by himself, and assuming the head is big enough to stand on it.))

He walks under the head, taking a short look at it... then he turns to his new companions "Anybody can give me a shove so I can get on top of this to check it properly?".

((OOC: In case he can reach it: [roll0] & [roll1]))

/Edit: ((OOC: Hey, do those 2 dead guys look like our former captors? What race are they, what race are our former captors, how did they look?))

Jay Emby
2008-02-10, 03:14 PM
Logan

Logan Wraps his hands around Akiano's waist and hauls him up as high as he wants.

/Edit: (oh yeah, the dead guys. Are their bodies within easy reach? I wouldn't mind a meat shield. Or y'know, just throw them down the hall to set off more of the spikes . . . perhaps we have some expendable (NPC) captives? :smallbiggrin: )

deathbyhokie
2008-02-10, 03:22 PM
Corwin
(smirking)Apparently not leaving as fast as you'd like, huh macho man?

Corwin will give the Dragon's Head a good look from below, and provide any more of a boost Akiano might need to reach up there.

How far down the hallways are the people impaled on the spikes? Are there any "spike holes" between us and them? Could we get to thier bodies with little risk?

Jay Emby
2008-02-10, 03:30 PM
Logan

Ignoring the sarcasm, Logan simply answers "No, We're not leaving as fast as I'd like. You want to look up there, too, so as to speed up our leaving. You don't look very heavy, I'd have no problem holding you both up."

deathbyhokie
2008-02-10, 03:41 PM
Corwin
Aw, hell, I'll take a look too.

Search: +10 [roll0]

warlock2000
2008-02-10, 07:36 PM
Akiano finds a switch behind the dragon head. No idea what it does though.

The men in the hall are too far away to reach from where you all stand by about 15 feet.

Kanti
2008-02-10, 09:33 PM
Having stayed silent thus far, a young girl with a noble sense about her, finally speaks up
Lilly "I think it would be wise for the rest of us to step back before you mess with that switch"

browng-08
2008-02-10, 11:33 PM
Hector

To Akiano: "Elf, flip the switch. We'll search this room for anything we can throw out into the hallway to see if the trap will still trigger."

Starts searching the room for anything he can use to throw out of the room. Anything big enough to throw and small enough for Logan to move.

Search [roll0]

((OOC: I suggest someone who actually has ranks in sarch back me up on this one))

browng-08
2008-02-10, 11:36 PM
Hector

Assuming I've failed to locate anything with that natural one, I'm gonna take 10 on my nest search check.
Search (taking 10)=16

deathbyhokie
2008-02-10, 11:46 PM
Corwin

Corwin will hop back down and help Hector search the room for trap-bait


Search +10 - [roll0]

Kanti
2008-02-11, 12:27 AM
Assuming the switch is pressed:
"Stop wasting time and just try moving through. Seriously! I don't have time to waste pondering traps!"
attempting to jump to the previously mentioned safe pattern:
jump check [roll0]

browng-08
2008-02-11, 12:55 AM
Hector

"Fool! The trap may not be deactivated yet! Don't get yourself killed. What about the rest of your fellows, who may not be as agile. Will you rush off and leave them behind?"

((How's that search check coming along?))

Kanti
2008-02-11, 01:24 AM
"I am no fool! I am a Knight of the Holy Guard, and i would never be as cowardice as to leave innocent people behind! But how do i know you are so. For that matter, how can I be sure any of the others don't deserve to be imprisoned! I will locate our captors and request as to why I was jailed and do the same for all of you. If the traps truly are disabled, then i will assist you until you give me reason not to. But know this, if the cause is just in the eyes of my gods I will not hesitate to assist in your re imprisonment! Do I make my intent clearer enough to you sir monk!?"

browng-08
2008-02-11, 01:51 AM
Hector
"You would do well to hold such thoughts in your head, fool. You are surrounded by many others, in the same situation as yourself, where working together is the only option we have to escape. If you have doubts to our integrity, just remember, whatever we may have done cannot be worse than what you have done. Do you remember any crime? Anything deserving of this? We have been tested upon, cruelly, with no explanation or trial. Exactly how do you assess this situation to place us as warranting your suspicions? And, even if you have good reason to think we are less than innocent, you should note that you are hopelessly surrounded and unmatched. If you present us anytrouble, I will leave your unconscious body here, where our captors may find you, the greatest fool among us, to be tested upon again." Hector's steely gaze does not leave Lily. He plans to stare her down, asserting dominance over the zeolous paladin. This way, she may be more cooperative.
Intimidate- [roll0]

Kanti
2008-02-11, 02:06 AM
Slightly angered now at the monks attempts to frighten her into submission, Lilly screams back in an enraged tone, "Did i not just inform that be your intentions just i shall not hesitate to aid you! I however will not be made to sit idly when i am able to move ahead! One of us advancing faster could prove to hasten the situation greatly, and i am willing to take risks to see this accomplished!"
Screaming loudly and asserting her-self to show she will not be dominated easily,
she attempts let him know he is not in charge
counter intimidate:[roll0]

(OOC: COME ON. a 4. are you friggen serious)

browng-08
2008-02-11, 02:16 AM
Hector
((Sweet, I got a natural 20!))
"I should think that you are better to us alive. At least wait until we can be sure that that trap is off." Hector walks up to Lily and extends his hand in a gesture of friendship (handshake), hoping the paladin will come to her senses and calm down.

Doberler
2008-02-11, 03:53 AM
Thornberry

The small Gnome had spent the entirety of the arguments simply smirking. We was sitting cross legged on the ground where his cage had been when the girl begins her jumping escapades. " I would just like to point out, that sitting here yelling at each other is no way to get us out of here. Milady, if you would be so kind as to return to the room, I would like to try something.

Should Lilly come back to the relative safety of the room, Thornberry's hand would become wreathed with a purple and black flame. He would send it careening at one of the corpses in an attempt to cause it to move. (([roll0]))

If she didn't he would simply wait and see if she or someone else would fail in their endeavors and trigger the trap.

#Raptor
2008-02-11, 01:58 PM
Akiano

As the others stopped arguing, he says: "Are you done now? Because I'm going to use that switch now, and you just MIGHT want to be on your toes if this room turns into a giant deathtrap once I pull the switch. Ok then... good luck if I won't survive this..." Then he uses the switch while he thinks By Corellon, I should have stayed home to become a wizard like my father wanted...

((OOC: Italic = thoughts. Also, I ready a action to get out of the way if theres any danger.))

Zincorium
2008-02-11, 02:55 PM
Oomaskay

Seeing that the group is faced with a notable lack of opponents to be bitten, Oomaskay shifts back to half orc form and looks at the obstacle.

"If the switch doesn't enable us to get past safely, I might, repeat, MIGHT be able to jump the area. The question is whether that's going to help the rest of you. Also, I'd like to point out that anyone who doesn't feel like they want to help, can tell the rest of us so we don't waste our time. It doesn't matter who's leader if we've got a plan we all agree with, and it looks like we may."

Jay Emby
2008-02-11, 07:28 PM
Logan

Logan shakes his head. Sure I'm rushing to escape, but it's tactical. I ain't foolish enough to dash blindly into a trap, never mind seeking out my captors! There's someone I ain't following, someone I don't want following me.To his fellow captives, he says "I'm fine with letting her set off this trap, and all the rest we come across."

warlock2000
2008-02-11, 09:46 PM
As the switch is flip all the spikes dart out of their hiding places, leaving a tunnel through the center of the hallway. The searching of the room turns up nothing but old rags.

For those that go through and look through the door at the end of the all.

The next room is about 15'X15' with a blue pillar in the middle. The pillar sparks with energy, another person and 3 guards lie on the ground quite dead. The man seems burned, while the guards look to be ripped apart. Their armour is ruined but their weapons (2 longswords and a two-bladed sword) seem fine.

Zincorium
2008-02-11, 09:56 PM
"Whoever did this, they were obviously more than a match for the guards. Not a single corpse of our captor's foes remains. While I'd be overjoyed by the news of a friendly combatant, we may be in greater danger here then we were in our cages. Best to keep moving."

Oomaskay begins making a check for any sort of door, leaving the pillar alone as it's properties are still unknown.

deathbyhokie
2008-02-11, 10:58 PM
Corwin
Can we reach the guards on the spikes, and pull them off? If so:

Hey, Muscles, come over here, and throw this at the pilliar. Everyone else might want to clear out first though

If the guards are otherwise stuck/immovable, Corwin will spend a few turns looking at the pilliar and room with Detect Magic.

Kanti
2008-02-11, 11:05 PM
Having had no other chose then to calm down, Lilly advances down the hall into the room. Immediately noticing nothing else but the two-bladed-sword nigh 5 feet away. She immediately grabs it up "To find my weapon of choice before me is truly a blessing. May the gods be praised!"

edit:i had originally posted long sword, but after reading up on it, i would prefer the two bladed. I'll just have to take 2 weapon fighting as soon as possible

scratch part of the first edit. i already have 2wf.

browng-08
2008-02-11, 11:30 PM
Hector
"Well, now that makes things easier." Hector clamly leaves the room and proceeds to the entrance of the room.
Spot- [roll0]

#Raptor
2008-02-12, 12:44 AM
Akiano

"Phew..." he just lets the air out of his lungs, releasing some tension - visibly reliefed that he didn't get skewered by spikes as he flipped the switch.

Then he jumps down from the dragons head, following the others into the room, his hands still trembling slightly from the adrenaline rush. Then he remembers that he should do whatever is withhin his capabilitys to get out of this and beginns searching the room.
[roll0]

((OOC: Dang. No profiency with any of those weapons. Thought I'll still be grabbing one of the longswords unless any of you guys has any use for the secound one (first one goes to Logan, thats obvious, I think), at least then my attacks will be lethal and won't provoke a AOO.))

Doberler
2008-02-12, 08:03 AM
Thornberry

Thornberry snickered at the mad dash for weapons. "You people and your reliance on steel." He said quietly. After he spoke, He would gather his will and utter two more words.

"Araneo Marsxi"

A faint purplish aura would surround him for a moment before coalescing around his hands and disappearing. He then follows suit after the other prisoners. Attempting to aid the other prisoners in a search of the room.

Casting Spider walk invocation and then rolling a search check
[roll0]

Jay Emby
2008-02-12, 06:24 PM
Logan

Accepting the nickname "Muscle" - It's what he is was before all this, how he earned his gold, Logan picks up one of the corpses. He also grabs one of the longswords. "Throw it at the pillar?" he asks, perhaps for reassurance, but also to remind everyone that he's about to do it, maybe you'd like to get back in case this goes all freaky.

But before he tosses the corpse to its second doom, he wracks his brain for any clue what the pillar might be (Spellcraft: [roll0]' Arcana: [roll1]). Unless he knows of any compelling reason not to, he throws the body at the corpse.

(Hey, I'm glad I didn't take the exotic double weapons so that there's no debate)

Zincorium
2008-02-12, 08:28 PM
Oomaskay

"I don't need a sword, my fangs are the best weapon I've ever wielded. And, 'muscles', please be careful, what you're doing may be the best course of action but that doesn't mean you'll be okay. I'll stand by to use my gifts to heal you if neccessary."

deathbyhokie
2008-02-12, 10:38 PM
"I don't need a sword, my fangs are the best weapon I've ever wielded. And, 'muscles', please be careful, what you're doing may be the best course of action but that doesn't mean you'll be okay. I'll stand by to use my gifts to heal you if neccessary."

Corwin

The way I see it, the dead folks are in there, not out here at the top of the hallway. If the pillar did something out here I suspect we'd see bodies, or evidence of it. Still, discretion is often the better part of valor...

Muscles, hold off for a second.

With that, Corwin will run a Detect Magic across the room, before Muscles throws the dead body at the pillar.

Kanti
2008-02-12, 11:25 PM
"I don't think attacking the pillar to be a wise decision. Investigating it, yes; throwing a body, no. We also need search for other exits, or perhaps this pillar is some sort of transportation device?"

Jay Emby
2008-02-13, 04:12 PM
(I just noticed that our DM had us at the threshold to the room, not inside it. I'll point out that Logan was the among the last down the hallway, as he was grabbing a corpse from the spikes . . . y'know, just in case the pillar sends out massive lightning bolts at anyone who steps into the room, like our fleet-footed paladin with the greedy hands who pounces at baubles :smallcool: )

deathbyhokie
2008-02-13, 04:20 PM
Corwin, also, never passsed the threshold, but did his issuing of orders, and Magic scan from outside the doorway. He strongly suspect there's another trap in the room, and would like to avoid being injured/killed.

Ergo the idea of throwing a body in and seeing what happened.

warlock2000
2008-02-13, 04:39 PM
@deathbyhokie - you detect everything here has a residual magic of some kind even you and your companions. The pillair however stands out like a becon of power.

@Jay Emby as you throw a piece of something into the room a bolt of energy strikes it. You quickly manage to stop the others from running into the room.

#Raptor
2008-02-13, 04:49 PM
((OOC: Woah! Ok, so in that case my akiano didn't search the room, he checked for traps instead - and definitely failed his check since that trap is magical and to detect magic traps you've gotta make a 25+ search check))

Kanti
2008-02-13, 05:28 PM
(I just noticed that our DM had us at the threshold to the room, not inside it. I'll point out that Logan was the among the last down the hallway, as he was grabbing a corpse from the spikes . . . y'know, just in case the pillar sends out massive lightning bolts at anyone who steps into the room, like our fleet-footed paladin with the greedy hands who pounces at baubles :smallcool: )

(( you made an excellen point, and im not greedy. its called likeing to deal upto 26 damage with a slightly improvd crit range.) boo for magical traps!)

Jay Emby
2008-02-13, 05:33 PM
(I didn't mean anything by it - I understand the desire to have your character armed)

Muscles

"Well, I'm at a loss. Who here is Brains?"

browng-08
2008-02-13, 05:54 PM
Hector
"That is not good news." ((By the way, did I manage to spot anything? Is there any switch on the walls in this room, or anything? My previous roll, when I first went to the entrance of the room: Spot- (1d20+9)[29])) "Does anyone see a swtich of anykind near here?"

deathbyhokie
2008-02-13, 06:08 PM
So did the object being thrown in vaporize, was it deflected by the bolt, or did it make it all the way to the pillar?

Corwin (Switching colors since Kanti is using the seagreen)

First, Knowledge Arcana or Spellcraft to figure out the magic behind the pillar.

[roll0] Add 10 for a Know(Arcana), or 6 for a Spellcraft

SEcondly: Well we've already seen one switch, back on the dragon's head. Is it possible that if someone who can make it by the spikes flips it, it'll turn off this trap?

Zincorium
2008-02-13, 06:34 PM
"If you think it'll work, I'll give it a try. How you're going to test if it does render that column safe, I don't know".

deathbyhokie
2008-02-13, 06:52 PM
"If you think it'll work, I'll give it a try. How you're going to test if it does render that column safe, I don't know".

Well, we'll get the other body, and once you flip the switch, we'll throw it in. If it gets zapped again, then clearly it didn't work. If not, then it worked.

warlock2000
2008-02-13, 08:36 PM
@browng-08 - You don't see a switch but you notice each of the guards corpses in the room have a insignia badge that matches the markings on the pillar.

@ deathbyhokie - check reveals nothing.

browng-08
2008-02-13, 08:49 PM
Hector
"You see those guards? We need to get at them. Does anyone have an idea of how to reach tose bodies without entering the room?"

((
So did the object being thrown in vaporize, was it deflected by the bolt, or did it make it all the way to the pillar?What about this, warlock?))

deathbyhokie
2008-02-13, 09:25 PM
Hector
"You see those guards? We need to get at them. Does anyone have an idea of how to reach tose bodies without entering the room?"


Corwin

Tie together the old rags we found, and use a spike from the hallway like a spear? I don't know why you would want them though. Clearly they couldn't get by the trap.

Muscles, think you could break one of those off?

browng-08
2008-02-13, 10:06 PM
Hector
"No. The guards have been cut up, not like the other man. They were not killed by the pillar. That is a good idea about the spear though, it might be the best we have. We can also tear of strips of our clothes to make the rope longer."

Kanti
2008-02-13, 10:55 PM
LillY
"Its possible, that if we found some way to scribe the same symbols that are on the guards, on our selves, we could get past. I realize its a stretch. if only we knew more about the symbol."(hint for knowledge arcana check)

#Raptor
2008-02-14, 08:51 AM
Akiano

"Or theres a switch or something just outside of this things range that I missed... I guess I should start doing a more intense search while you try to tear one of the spikes out." He says as he goes to work for some quite some time (unless someone asks him to do something else), just outside of the zapping range of the trap.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
((OOC: Doing multiple searches untill I suceed while everyone else trys other solutions /Edit: Or just the first one. I guess if that 33 fails its pretty pointless to waste more time searching.))

warlock2000
2008-02-14, 09:12 PM
(The throw object was deflected by the bolt, singed but not destroyed.)

The harpoon is made.

@#Raptor - you find a old jawbone and a old bowl back in the room.

browng-08
2008-02-15, 01:36 AM
Hector
That cinches it. We can't even throw anthing into the room. We need to try that switch again." Hector waits for someone to flip the switch again, then retries throwing the makeshift harpoon.

Kanti
2008-02-15, 02:15 AM
((Will some please roll a check to find what that symbol is)how did a group with no person that can use craft-weapon or profession- weapons maker manage to make-shift a harpoon?(not complaining just wondering)))

Doberler
2008-02-15, 02:42 AM
Thornberry

"I tire of this" said Thornberry, "I'll be right back."

So instead of simply waiting for the others to dawdle, he focus' on the pillar, preparing himself to dodge any attack that it may bring to bear against him and begins slowly moving towards the guards and therefore, the symbols they bear.


Total Defensive Action, brings my AC to 20
Hopefully its using an attack roll and not a reflex save.

deathbyhokie
2008-02-15, 06:27 AM
((Will some please roll a check to find what that symbol is)how did a group with no person that can use craft-weapon or profession- weapons maker manage to make-shift a harpoon?(not complaining just wondering)))

a) Knowledge (Arcana) to figure out if we could construct one of the symbols on the guards, a well as for what it might be [roll0]
b) Untrained Craft Check? It may not be the highest quality weapon in the world, but it works for our purposes.

Corwin
It's your funeral gnome. Why not wait until the switch is flipped back there? Clearly defense of any sort indicates the scorched body on the floor doesn't help against the pillar's magic.

If breaking off the spikes is that easy, Why don't you clear a path through them Muscles? It'll make Fuzzy's job a little bit eaiser if flipping the switch back works.

#Raptor
2008-02-15, 11:15 AM
Akiano

He holds the jawbone and the bowl up. "I don't know how those got here... but if any of you spellcasters got any use for those feel free to take them.." he says, as he puts the jawbone and the bowl back on the ground again.

"Wouldn't pulling the spikes out take pretty long? I suggest we go with the already proposed tactic of pressing the switch again to see if the magical trap turns off. Perhaps then I could take the trap down and whoever pressed the switch presses it again, goes through the hall and we get outta here."

((OOC: I'm assuming theres some place without spikes/spike holes beetween the room with the blue pillar and the tunnel where our group is standing atm - so we won't get skewered like a giant shish kebab if the spikes extend any further upon pressing the switch again.))

Jay Emby
2008-02-15, 05:58 PM
Muscles

Muscles looks to see if the corpse impaled on the spike wearing a guard's uniform with the intriguing symbol. If so, he'll take the uniform, and toss it to Lily, saying "Here you go sweetheart, this should get you through all safe and sound"

warlock2000
2008-02-15, 09:14 PM
@Doberler - bolt to hit [roll0] damage if hit [roll1]

Symbol is Draconic. if you speak it Ward me.

The two in the spiked room aren't guards.

browng-08
2008-02-15, 11:22 PM
Hector
Hector rushes in, after Doberler. Now that he knows what to expect, he's betting that he can dodge the bolts of electricity long enough to grab the insignias from the guards and bring them back to the party.
AC=20, 15 if flat-footed

deathbyhokie
2008-02-16, 12:17 AM
Symbol is Draconic. if you speak it Ward me.


I'll pass along the meaning to any who aren't fluent in Draconic.

In addition, Corwin will cast Mage Armor on Hector, giving him +4 AC

Kanti
2008-02-16, 04:14 AM
Again growing impatient with the way the others are handleing the situation,Lilly uses the discarded jawbone to puncture her finger. Letting the blood drip into the bowl. She then proceeds to draw the symbol on her arm in her own blood and walk into the room.

warlock2000
2008-02-16, 08:40 PM
@Doberler - bolt to hit [roll0] damage if hit [roll1]

@browng-08- bolt to hit [roll2] damage if hit [roll3]

@deathbyhokie - bolt to hit [roll4] damage if hit [roll5]

@Kanti - no bolt shoots at Kanti.

deathbyhokie
2008-02-16, 09:07 PM
@Doberler - @deathbyhokie - bolt to hit [roll4] damage if hit [roll5]

@Kanti - no bolt shoots at Kanti.

That'll miss (AC 18 with the Mage Armor i put on earlier up). If I'm close enough, I'll snag one of the special insignias. If not, Corwin will roll his eyes, mumble under his breath about "brash people, not showing proper caution, going to get themselves in a bad spot one of these days", and proceed to prick his finger and draw the signal on himself, and anyone else who needs it (and wants Corwin bleeding on them)

browng-08
2008-02-17, 01:48 AM
Missed Hector by a long shot. Hector reaches a guard and rips off the insignia, hoping that now that he holds it, he would be safe from the pillars attacks. "Well, what are you waiting for? Come on!"

Jay Emby
2008-02-17, 10:04 AM
Muscles

Rat in a maze. Damn wizards. I'm just a rat in a maze. Logan sighs as he pricks himself and writes the required words on his arm. "Ward me, eh? They better ward themselves against me."

Letting more blood than is probably wise, he writes "Ward Yourself" across his chest in large common letters.

Doberler
2008-02-17, 11:35 AM
Thornberry

When the first bolt missed him, Thornberry bolts towards a corpse to grab an insignia. A second bolt, misses him yet again, building his confidence.


((OOC: Please gods tell I can get one))

#Raptor
2008-02-17, 11:55 AM
Akiano

"Wha... what... we could just have disabled that trap, instead of jumping around like frogs fleeing from a hungry stork!" he says, apparently unhappy that he didn't get the change to fiddle with the trap. Since now disabling the trap is out of question he does as the human woman did and draws the sign on his arm and moves into the room, grabbing one of the longswords.

Then he closely inspects the room for any other valuables. [roll0]

((OOC: Pretty creative use of the bowl & jawbone there, Kanti. But isn't your character named Lilly?))

#Raptor
2008-02-17, 11:57 AM
Clicked "reply" by mistake after looking at the preview... so thats why I botched that roll.
[roll0] /E: Yay for constantly making good rolls! :smallbiggrin:

Kanti
2008-02-17, 06:57 PM
Relieved that the tower did not respond to her presence she figures the symbols has done the trick. Walking further into the room Lilly picks up the two-bladed sword that lies near one of the corpses"It is a relief to be armed again, but we must still find a way through this room as well. Also, it is most likely any door leading to a new path be traped. We would be wise to take more time to think of our actions before hand. I'll admit that previosly, I was hasty. But now I truely fear for my life."

warlock2000
2008-02-17, 08:40 PM
@Muscles to hit with bolt [roll0] to damage if hit [roll1]

@#Raptor - find a hidden door above just left of the Pillar

There is a door on the other side of the pillar that you couldn't see till your in the room. The door seems thin and you may need to turn side ways for some of you to get through it.

The symbol/insignia seems to be protecting the rest of you.

Jay Emby
2008-02-17, 08:49 PM
(( I may not have been clear, but Muscles scribed "Ward Me" in draconic on his arm, along with writing "Ward Yourself" on his chest in common. Anyway, the bolt misses - useless magical trap :smalltongue: ))

warlock2000
2008-02-17, 08:55 PM
(( I may not have been clear, but Muscles scribed "Ward Me" in draconic on his arm, along with writing "Ward Yourself" on his chest in common. Anyway, the bolt misses - useless magical trap :smalltongue: ))

(My bad no bolt then)

deathbyhokie
2008-02-17, 09:11 PM
Corwin

Cowin will aid Akiano in his search around the door for traps [roll0].

He'll also take a couple looks through the doorway to see what awaits us up ahead.

#Raptor
2008-02-19, 04:23 PM
Akiano

"I think I found something... come here, everbody." He then outlines the secret door with his fingers, so everyone else notices it. "Looks like our captors build a additional door in there. We've got to be careful though, they could have build this thing just for this scenario and added a trap."

s***load of rolls:
He searches the door for a trap, repeating the process if he doesn't find a trap at first.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

If he finds a trap, he attempts to deactiveate it. ((OOC: You've go to roll that disable device check since it's rolled in secret - Akiano got a +13 and trys again if he fails at his first attempt.))

If he can't find any traps - or found a trap and sucessfully deactivated it - he listens on the door.
[roll3]

If he can't hear anything, he picks the lock (assuming it has even has a lock), again trying 2 more times if he doesn't succeed at first.
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

warlock2000
2008-02-21, 03:56 AM
@deathbyhokie- there seems to be no trap

@#Raptor- there seems to be no trap or sound. the lock is non existent.

#Raptor
2008-02-21, 10:32 AM
Akiano

After finishing his extensive search, he says: "Seems this thing doesn't have a trap. Gonna take a peek now." Then he Slowly opens the door and looks around the door, careful not to be noticed by anyone that may be waiting behind the door and takes a close look at everything behind the door, still listening for sounds.
[roll0] (to open the door as silently as possible)
[roll1] (to hide behind the door)
[roll2]
[roll3]

If he can't see or hear anything threatening, he'll fully open the door and move in.

warlock2000
2008-02-22, 10:04 PM
@#Raptor - jack pot. You found some kind of armoury.
within is
10 Studded leather armour.
10 longswords.
2 Quarterstaves
a bolas
5 insignias
20 gold coins.

browng-08
2008-02-23, 12:38 AM
Hector grabs a quarterstaff from the armoury and ties it loosely to his back, for easy retrieval. "I have no need of the rest, as I already have an insignia. I suggest someone grab the other quarterstaff, as it may get usefull along the way." Hector proceeds to the narrow door/hallway and slowly walks through keeping an eye out for movement around him or on the other side.
Spot- [roll0]
Listen- [roll1]

Kanti
2008-02-23, 04:41 AM
((Lilly will gladly take a studded leather, and any thing else no one takes, so that we could sell it all for GP))"Weapons and armor, we are truly blessed. Now i shall be able to defend righteous and defeat the wicked"((corny i know, but i had to. Also, its kinda been moving slow here whats up?))

Doberler
2008-02-23, 06:39 AM
((Is there anything sized for small creatures?))

Jay Emby
2008-02-23, 11:32 AM
Muscles

Muscles reaches for one of the suits of leather. The extra protection can't hur- wait a minute. This is just too handy. Forget it. I'm happy with the corpse's longsword . . . dammit! Muscles flings the longsword to the ground. "I am not using anything touched by these damned wizards."

deathbyhokie
2008-02-23, 01:30 PM
Corwin

Corwin will pick up one of the Insignias, one of the leather armors, and the long sword.
Sleight of Hand to conceal picking up the gold [roll0]

Priciples are a nice thing Muscles, but sometimes pragmtism trumps. At least take one of the armors with you. You never know when it might save your life.

Corwin will then follow Hector to the door, looking down the hallway, and moving quietly

Spot [roll1]
Move Silent [roll2]

Jay Emby
2008-02-23, 02:17 PM
Muscles

"It's not a matter of principles. I don't know that I have any. But I do know I don't trust these wizards."

Jay Emby
2008-02-23, 02:20 PM
Muscles follows Corwin down the hall

Move Silently [roll0]
Spot [roll1]

browng-08
2008-02-23, 02:28 PM
Move Silently- [roll0]

#Raptor
2008-02-24, 12:24 PM
Akiano

With a wide smile on his face he takes another longsword, one of the insignias and the secound quarterstaff. Then he sheates both longswords, keeping the quarterstaff in his hands.

Opposed spot check to notice corwin picking up the gold.
[roll0]
He decides to try and convince the bulky human to get himself equipped."Well, if those items are trapped somehow, you might end up dead. But if we get into a fight and you are unarmored and unarmed - then you're definitely dead. And those wizards are going to be oh-so-happy to experiment on your dead body. Think about it. They'll probably turn you into some sort of undead monstrousity or something."

Then he follows the others, just behind corwin. Whisphering he says "Good idea about the gold. It may not be of much use to us in here, but our escape probably isn't over once we left the building."Taking 10 on move silently = 22

Kanti
2008-02-24, 05:57 PM
"You should definitely take up arms, we may encounter great foes, and you fists may not be strong enough!"

warlock2000
2008-02-28, 06:35 PM
The group of you continue down the the hall. As you approach the end of the hall, the doors there open. Stepping into the hall is for guards who have weapons drawn. They notice you and ready themselves.

Init [roll0]

Jay Emby
2008-02-28, 07:54 PM
Oh, this is it. Muscles hones in on the guard carrying the largest blade (sword before axe!) and steps in, fists raised. Rather than striking though, he grabs for the weapon.

Initiative: [roll0]
Opposed Attack Roll to Disarm: [roll1]

browng-08
2008-02-28, 08:40 PM
Hector's initiative- [roll]1d20+5

browng-08
2008-02-28, 08:42 PM
Oops...
Hector's initiative- [roll0]

browng-08
2008-02-28, 08:53 PM
Hector
Taken completely by surprise, Hector is off guard. But only for a second. A quick dash to the (hopefully) unarmed guard confronting 'Muscles'. Hector strikes, aiming for the unguarded jugular with a swift punch, followed by a crippling knee blow into a vulnerable kidney.
Attack: Unarmed strike with flurry of blows
To hit- first [roll0], second [roll1]
Damage- first [roll2], second [roll3]

Kanti
2008-02-28, 10:32 PM
huzzah for advancement in story
initiative[roll0]

Edit:the forums roller has loved me lately. thats like the ninth natural 20 I've rolled in the last day.

deathbyhokie
2008-02-28, 11:44 PM
Initiative - [roll0]

Corwin will then cast Sleep at the lot of them. He'll do his best to avoid drawing an AoO, but if necessary, here's the Concentration check

Concentration - [roll1]

And then up to 4 HD worth of them need a DC 18 Will Save to avoid taking a nap.

EDIT: Clearly Kanti is stealing all the forum's luck.

Kanti
2008-02-29, 12:46 AM
just for fun and 'cause i have to know
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

edit: see i dont have all the luck, just when it matters

#Raptor
2008-02-29, 10:17 AM
Akiano

[roll0]

Tightening the grip on his quarterstaff, he attacks the next guard that is flanked but not already attacked by his companions.

[roll1] ((normal bonus = +1, flanked = +2))
[roll2]
[roll3]

Additional rolls if its only a 5-ft step and Akiano can attack with both ends:
[roll4]
[roll5] (with the other end)
[roll6]
If the first guard that he attacked is already unconscious, he attacks the next one in range with his secound attack (if he gets a secound attack).

/Edit: Boo ya! :smallcool: :smallbiggrin:

Kanti
2008-02-29, 04:12 PM
OOC:why is every one already doing things. we havnt even begun combat yet.
and we dont even know the size of the battle map or the position of the guards.

browng-08
2008-03-01, 12:33 AM
It's preemptive. How long you wanna wait for warlock to come back?

Kanti
2008-03-01, 02:36 AM
It's preemptive. How long you wanna wait for warlock to come back?ill wait as long as i have to. they may not even be in move range, and we would have to run or charge. ide rather wait for the full circumstance to be presented to me.