PDA

View Full Version : Death's Scythe[major artifact]

GoC
2008-02-09, 05:11 PM
Death's Scythe
This scythe seems to hum with contained power. It's edge is infitely sharp and seems to extend several inches farther then what your eyes are telling you.

This weapon ignores armor, shields and natural armor as if it had the wraithstrike spell cast on it. Additionaly, any hit with Death's scythe is treated a a coup de grace attack (though rogue sneak attack damage doesn't apply). If it strikes something immune to critical hits then that object or monster takes damage as if it had taken a critical hit. Anything struck must make a fortitude save (DC 10+damage dealt) or be affected as if it had failed it's saving throw against a disintegrate spell (CL 20).

Icewalker
2008-02-09, 06:19 PM
Phrasing issue, the last part makes it so that only things immune to critical hits have to save vs. disintegration. Separate out those sentences.

I like it. Fun, crazy, and as overpowered as an artifact should be. Also, the Grim Reaper wants it back, which is probably bad news for the PCs.

GoC
2008-02-09, 07:11 PM
Phrasing issue, the last part makes it so that only things immune to critical hits have to save vs. disintegration. Separate out those sentences.

I like it. Fun, crazy, and as overpowered as an artifact should be. Also, the Grim Reaper wants it back, which is probably bad news for the PCs.

Very.:smallbiggrin:
"I Supreme Cleave the army of shadesteel golems."

Uthug
2008-02-09, 07:22 PM
So...if a creature not immune to critical hits is coup de graced by this, they have to make 2 saves with the same fort save DC? 1 to avoid the disintegrate effect and 1 to avoid dying from a coup de grace? That's really broken! Or is that what an artifact is supposed to be? Also, what happens if you hit the wall? Does it need to save against being disintegrated too?

GoC
2008-02-09, 08:02 PM
So...if a creature not immune to critical hits is coup de graced by this, they have to make 2 saves with the same fort save DC? 1 to avoid the disintegrate effect and 1 to avoid dying from a coup de grace?
Hmm...
It should only be one fort save. Maybe I'll make the disintegrate only apply to things not subject to critical hits?

That's really broken! Or is that what an artifact is supposed to be?
It's the favored weapon of Death! That's broken almost by definition.:smallbiggrin:

Also, what happens if you hit the wall? Does it need to save against being disintegrated too?
Well it'd fail it's save either way so it doesn't really matter.

Parvum
2008-02-09, 09:27 PM
Yeah, seperate disintegrate to apply it to only crit-immune or simply have it bypass critical hit immunity.

Oh, and Deathwatch at will. Just a suggestion...
I would have made it a hand vacuum, personally.