PDA

View Full Version : Strange Bean Curd (Monster) PEACH

Orzel
2008-02-09, 10:10 PM
First creature in a long time. But my friends wants to kill off one of his PCs in a funny way.

Killer tofu are small cubic legumes that jump out of bushes and attach themselves to nearby creatures to drain their life juices.

Killer Tofu
Size/Type: Diminutive Plant
Hit Dice: 2d8 (9 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft
Armor Class: 16, touch 16, flat-footed 14 (+4 size, +2 dex)
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-6
Attack: Bite +10 melee (1d8+5)
Full Attack: Bite+10 melee (1d8+5)
Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Attach
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft, immunity to sonic,
plant traits, resistance to cold 10 and fire 10
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +1
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills: Hide +4, Jump +13, Move Silently +1
Feats: Run
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary or with buddy
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: 1/10th coins; 50% goods; 50% items
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: -

Attach (Ex)
If a killer tofu hits with a bite attack, it uses its powerful jaws to latch onto the opponent’s body and automatically deals bite damage each round it remains attached. An attached killer tofu loses its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class and has an AC of 14. An attached killer tofu can be struck with a weapon or grappled itself. To remove an attached killer tofu through grappling, the opponent must achieve a pin against the creature

Backbite (Ex)
If a killer tofu can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, it can strike a vital spot for extra defense while attach. Should a killer tofu catch a foe unaware, it gain a +2 bonus to AC toward the attached victim. Additionally, creatures with a Dexterity of 14 or lower, suffer a -2 penalty to attack rolls to hit attached killer tofu who backbit them.

Blindsight (Ex)
Killer tofu have no visual organs but can ascertain all foes within 60 feet using sound, scent, and vibration.

Skills
Killer tofu have a +8 bonus to Jump checks.

HKJones
2008-02-10, 03:15 AM
Wait... so you mean not ALL tofu is out there to kill you?

I don't think the monster itself deserves CR 3 however. CR 2 may be more appropriate.

DracoDei
2008-02-10, 03:41 AM
Natural armor seems way out of place...

Orzel
2008-02-11, 06:39 PM
Okay. I took out the nat armor, lowered the CR, and increased the blindsight so it can effectively chomp out commoners and town guards in a few rounds with a quick charge and bite.

EDIT: Also added Backbite.

DracoDei
2008-02-11, 10:31 PM
Back-bite is a cool mechanic.

Parvum
2008-02-11, 11:10 PM
Might want to specify mechanics for backbiter (ie, no dex bonus). I think the 14/lower -2 attack should be removed, but that's just me.

Now, onto the things that seem odd.

You have a diminutive creature with a bite damage of 1d8. I should point out that this is like a dog being able to kill you with a single half-assed bite (1d12), and I don't even remember (off the top of my head) what the size-up from a d12 is for medium creatures. But, since you want this to be funny, it is acceptable. Still, you should REALLY up the size to tiny. If you don't, these qualify for swarms. (...Hm...)

Str 20 and Dex 15, for the same reasons.

The mental scores don't seem to reflect tofu. I'd say less intelligence and more wisdom. Less, if you think eating tofu would decrease that stat.

Replace the jump bonus with Leap. My favourite special quality in the game, Leap gives you a +30 to all jump checks and REMOVES YOUR SIZE LIMITATION TO ALL JUMP CHECKS. Important for something that jumps onto prey. (Available to a player race, nontheless...)

Looking closer at attach, I can see the bite damage reasoning. Basically, it's a combination of improved grab and constrict... which is more humorous, a tofu that bites you or a tofu that drains your blood (Con damage)? Hm...

Of course, now that blood draining's come up, I'm thinking of were-tofu...

Orzel
2008-02-12, 06:48 AM
The bite damage is there because it's 50% jaws and 50% rubbery plant jelly. It's like a mix of a bear trap and a square superball.

The DEX14/lower -2 attack is there to reflect the difficulty grappling and attacking things on your lower back.